Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis swag June 8 2011

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 13:58

I didn't want to clutter up the main thread with these pictures...

There's not a lot happening on the clematis swag yet when viewed from a little distance:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Up close though, there is a fair bit going on that bodes for the future of it well I think. I posted this picture of 'Willy' earlier on the recent thread. It looks like it's going to be pretty, and very vigorous. I was hoping it would bloom with the dwarf lilac but it's much earlier. This was May 28:

This one is in the first loop of the swag on the house side, towards the center. If my 'map' is right, it should be 'Gillian Blades':

Next to it, towards the gate, this one is growing like crazy. It should be Comtesse de Bouchard:

There are a couple of others that are quite vigorous but that's the biggest one at this point. The ones on the fence side are mostly smaller - that side is shaded by the fence so the vines won't get a lot of sun until they get tall enough to reach the swag. The one I accidentally broke off when weeding on the weekend is probably 'Guernsey Cream'. It was a fairly small, root-bound plant so I'm not sure if it'll recover or not. I may need to replace it but I'll wait and see what it does.

The Clematis montana that was on the arbour got cut back hard when we took out the New Dawn roses last summer. I didn't expect it to survive, let alone produce a few flowers this spring. It is growing very vigorously out there now and some of the new ones are using it to climb to the top of the arbour.

Looking out from the gate, towards the driveway you can see one of my favorite combinations that is just getting underway in blooming. The clematis is probably Nellie Moser (lost the tag when it was planted years ago...) It climbs on the mockorange under the kitchen window. There are buds showing all the way to the top of the - very tall - bush this year but only a few are open yet.

So the swag looks to be off to a good start but I know it'll take a few years before it really struts its stuff :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis swag June 8 2011

Looking good!
Get ready for arrival of shooting stars!
'bug

o

It's going to be really nice when it fills in Woody. I like it.

o

It's always interesting to see progress on this, Woody. You may have some of those broken clems come back - I've discovered a couple this year that I thought were lost last year (altho others that rabbits I guess got are gone) - it's always an adventure re the survival of clematis, I think.

Thanks for posting!

-Cindy

o

Looking great Woody. I have such mixed success with clems I'd never attempt a project like that. I don't know why I persist in planting them. Hope springs eternal! LOL that combo on the mock orange is going to be fabulous when all the flowers open.

o

Deanne - here's what the lilac and clematis combo looked like when we got home yesterday afternoon. The mockorange desperately needs a severe rejuvenation pruning. When the clematis - and the bit of New Dawn rose that grows through it - finish flowering, it's all going to get cut down so the mockorange can regrow (or die and be replaced!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here