Look! Look down in the garden how

The firefly lights are flitting now!

A million tiny sparks I know

Flash through the pinks and golden-glow,

And I am very sure that all

Have come to light a fairy ball,

And if I could stay up I'd see

How gay the fairy folks can be!

We've been enjoying fireflies here lately, bats and frog sounds too. How about you?

Comments (100)

• anitamo
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One of my all time favorite songs...that, and "You've Got A Friend." Thanks for the link kathy.

That's a beautiful owl. I'm hoping I get to see one in my yard one day.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Wow, what a nice way to start the day. The Barred Owls are great (love the owlette!) and I really liked that montage of "Stand By Me". One of the guys sounded as though he was channelling Otis Redding. Great link, Kathy.

I'm glad it's Friday, yesterday was no fun. the cushion job turned into a far bigger deal than it needed to be and I suspect there will be residual fall-out today, too. A mole hill that was transformed into a mountain by the wonder of insecurity and a need to vent frustration (not my own). Dear heavens, let us keep this in perspective, please! no one has died as a result of it, nor has it caused a catastrophic drop in the stock market... . It's not that I don't care but getting into a self-induced lather over something so silly isn't productive and doesn't solve the immediate problem, either. Jeez.

We moved my overlock machine last night (really heavy) and removed the tiles in the suspended ceiling in preparation for the plumber who is coming this morning. There are 4 more machines to move, but they won't be nearly as heavy as those already relocated. Though heavy is rather a relative description. You know who your friends are when it's time to relocate industrial sewing machines, lol. I'm going to research the possibility of putting casters on the heavier models, but right now that's not my most pressing project. ;)

I am always amazed by the diversity offered by Clematis. 'bug what is the peony in the foreground of the shot above with x durandii? I am eagerly awaiting the shots of the rose swag, too, Woody!

I think I may have a haircut this afternoon and I think I may cancel the app't. because we also have tickets to the theatre tonight. It's going to be a long day and tomorrow is going to be another long one. Oh well, time to get motivatin'.

Anita, I'm another one who almost never visits FB. It's slow and I guess I've just never "caught the wave".

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good morning! :-)

I thought I might check in this morning, although nothing going on here that would make for sparkling conversation. :-) There were layoffs at DD's work but thankfully, her department seems to have escaped unscathed. I have been out of garden talk lately and feeling blah while still waiting for a Gastro appointment on Monday. Holding my own though and trying to get out in the garden a little more. According to the forecast, it looks like I have plenty of time to garden in cool weather still, but the mosquitoes are out in full force. The weatherman was funny this morning. He was showing a seven day forecast of rainy cloudy weather every day again and he said, 'Monday, rainy cloudy weather and blah, blah, blah...' and that was his entire forecast. lol

Kathy, I loved that link! What a great idea someone had. Made me smile this morning and I just sent the link to my kids.

I'm very surprised we have not seen poor Marian post at all. I hope something starts to improve for you soon, Marian. I wonder if you are having this same weather there and if that makes it worse for you?

No fireflies around here. I remember seeing them every summer when I was growing up and I miss them.

Anita, I'm very jealous that you have not one, but two new baths! :-) Very pretty, I love that full glass look. We really need to gut ours and start over, but have no idea when we will get to it. .....What a difference a year makes! Your garden has changed so much. I like the new pathway and the new materials you used. Everything has grown so much! Reminds me, I need to check my peachblossom astilbe. Is yours fragrant?

Chelone, we added a Dogwood racemosa at the same time we planted the rest of the back shrubs and it's amazing how it has shot up making a very effective screen. It is taller than our six foot fence already. ....Happy Anniversary! Amazing how fast time goes by, huh? [g] Definitely want to see "Up".

Michelle is heading to Florida, how exciting! And what a bargain airfare! Hope you bring back lots of photos. :-)

Marie, you've been getting a lot of work done in the garden. I imagine you are trying to get everything done before you leave for IU6. I can't remember hearing you so involved with your vegetable garden before. I hope you will have a great harvest after all that work weeding. If the weather would just cooperate. Did you find the bunny entrance? Your clems are gorgeous! Hendryetta my fav. Sorry to hear about Indy, hope she is okay. Isn't it about time for baby photos again? :-)

Norma, sounds like you are doing a lot of weeding too. June walats are absent here too and the gardening season is an odd one this year. .... sorry, I don't have a FB account, so I couldn't see your link.

Denise, enjoyed your description of Venice Beach. I remember the days when Haight Ashbury was in the news, but from a distance. Here on the East Coast, we were listening to 'California Dreaming'. Sounds like you and hubby had a nice walk down memory lane. I have always felt sad to go back and visit places from the past especially when they don't look the same. .....Thanks for sharing that info on that photo, I seem to have forgotten to post the info I had on it again. I still wonder if the colors were enhanced with software?

Quite a day you had on Tuesday, woody! Very lucky it all worked out so well, but I think I would stick to my boring day. [g] Thanks for the tip about Ramona clematis, I could use one that will bloom so nicely in less light.

and...What a week you had too Cindy! We had a similar accident here in the Boston area and the operator was texting at the time. DD uses the T and I worry about her every time I hear of a problem. I'm going to have to remember to tell her to sit in the middle cars. ....what a pretty combo of clematis.

Sorry to hear your news on the health insurance issue, Mary. Hope you can figure something else out.

Saucy, sorry to hear Jake doesn't want to work in the garden any more. Wouldn't it be great if our kids were as fascinated as we are? Fishing wouldn't make my top 10 list of activities, either. You are a good mom. :-)

Kathy, big news at your house, wow! I think it is great that you did all that work on the house for your move and now that you are going to be staying, you can enjoy the updates. So, does this mean, DD and company will be close enough for you and DS to see more often?

I'm sorry to those I've missed, but running out of steam here. Going to try to head out back and plant a couple of rain soaked plants from the pot ghetto since more rain due all week....

Hey, it's Friday! :-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Well here's someplace that has more water then we have. [g] Pretty romantic wedding photo, yes?

{{gwi:162688}}

Adrift in bliss, Venetian newlyweds ride a gondola down the Grand Canal. In a city with 42 boating associations, rowing is serious business. You should see no visible effort, says an aficionado, just beautiful movement.

From "Venice: More Than a Dream," February 1995, National Geographic magazine.
    Photograph by Sam Abell

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Pm2, your post has made me feel guilty..:-(
    I am okay....just have not felt like I had anything of interest to post here....
    My arms and shoulders continue to be in very bad shape, but I am still 'going'.
    The heat and humidity is horrendous... we continue to be under a heat alert. I am not getting outside much, except very early and late...then I am attacked by the accursed deer flies! They never bother Nolon.
    Last week was our congregation's 2nd yearly Lectureship, from Sunday morn., to Friday eve. We went every time. A differant speaker each time.
    This week the kids came Monday afternoon, and left Thurs afternoon.They spent part of that time swimming in the Buffalo River, and part of it hiking at a nearby attraction. We both stayed home. :-)
    The Cartop garden is growing and all plants are setting on blooms. Should have cucumbers before long, and Sweet 100 tomatoes a little later.
    Tim was going to bring us some cucumbers and squash from his garden, but forgot! :-(

Marian

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Well there you are, Marian! That's awful that you are still having arm and shoulder pain. Does applying ice help at all? Sounds like you haven't been able to rest your arms and shoulders much and the heat can't be helping either. But great for your Cartop garden! I'm glad you are still getting out, but what's with the deer flies? Is there a season for them that will end at some point? Oh, that's too bad no cucumbers or squash. I did that to our son last summer. I grew string beans, his favorite, more for him than anyone else and when we went up to visit him, we forgot to take them. Oh well.

Glad you checked in and hoping one of these days you will suddenly wake up feeling much much better. :-)

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I cannot stand cold on my arms. I can't even stand the night air blowing on then from the window fan...:-(
    Yes, there is a 'season' for the deer flies. It is all during the summer months. They are vicious attackers of any exposed skin..on me, and espacially my head and neck! Very painful bites. We frequently have horse flies that are much larger, and just as vicious!
    So far, I have not had any chiggers...I hope I have not brought them on by saying that. :-(

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Hi Marain, good to know you are still amongst the living at least. Sounds like you have been busy with other things than gardening. The extreme heat sure takes the fun out of it doesn't it?

Pm, I changed the settings on the album in the link. Maybe you can see it now. It says anyone can see even if they are not on facebook.

Chelone , I hope the day went better than yesterday.

I mostly deadheaded and cleaned up some stuff today. I decided I wanted a white daylily near my new arbor so I moved a piece of one I had. I left a piece where it was and still have another piece in water to plant somewhere else. Just have to decide where I want it. May have to pot it up in the morning until I decide.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Happy Friday to all , though it is a Friday in name only for me ! Working an event tomorrow for my company so will be occupied there most of the day. Its supposed to be very hot this weekend but Im skeptical, the marine layer was out this morning and it seems a normal weather pattern this evening.

Im so glad you all enjoyed the Stand By Me link. It was sent to me by my BIL, and it made me think of all of you, and our supportive place here, where one may always feel free to vent .
    Norma, what an adorable kitten Niki is, and your photos are great ! I love her coloring .

Anita, your side yard transformation in wonderful, and for your viewing pleasure, here is my sideyard I am dying to get this concrete removed-about 75% of it is totally wasted space. {{gwi:162689}}From Garden 2009

Cindy , I do indeed remember that , and I think that it was instrumental in the inspiration for the GG at the Saucy house- that was a fabulous garden. I am glad that I scheduled myself for three more days off after returning from IU, with the itinerary we have shaping up Im going to need it ! I did walk(fast) to work every day this week and my IU training continues.

Chelone, the industry at the compound continues. I guess the though of a bunch of Idyllers roaming around with cameras is good incentive..

Marian, glad to see you post here- and like PM, I hope you get to feeling better before long.

PM, Ive enjoyed the photos youve posted in the last few days, thank you for those. Yes DD will be closer, about 2 hours drive or less.

All for me tonight, I have to go do some more watering since I will be otherwise occupied tomorrowwaves to all .

Kathy in Napa

• anitamo
    14 years ago

kathy...Have a great time at the work event. You don't seem too bummed out that you are working an extra day, but I guess knowing that Idyll vacation is coming up soon is spurring you on. You have all that extra space there and no plants filling it up? I'm shocked. LOL. It looks like a good work space, though. It also has the potential for a secret garden.

I made a wishlist for Annie's Annuals tonight. The shipping costs are high , so I'm going to sit on it a bit, and will most likely talk myself out of an order. I did help the economy earlier though when I went to the mall. I needed more black tops and pants, since I wear a lot of black at work...hides the color stains, and just looks more professional.

Sunday will be my next day in the garden, so nothing to report on that end.

Cindy...love that astilbe photo. Where was that taken? Was it you who posted a photo from Trudy's garden a while back? She's only 20 minutes from me, so I should see if she still has tours available.

PM...nice to see a long chatty post from you again. Nice Venice photo.

Marian...Nice to see you dropped in. Glad to know you rooftop garden is doing well. Hope you enjoyed your family's visit.

chelone...Hope today at work was better than yesterday. Why do there have to be power struggles at work? Don't they understand the word "morale" yet? Did you get the haircut? By the way, Happy Anniversary to you and HM. 17 years is something to be proud of these days. We're going on 24 in OCT.

Norma...I couldn't see the link earlier, so will have to revisit it. Did you show a photo of your new arbor already? I can't remember it. I like the idea of a white daylily, mmmmm.

That's all for now.

Anita

• chelone
    14 years ago

Oh Norma, how cute is she??? I amazed you're able to keep your hands off her long enough for her to wander around and explore! Our Spencer has a similar coat pattern and I think Marian's Tommy does, too.

Speaking of Marian, it's nice to see you pop in and hear an update on gardening using the Toyota method. I'm sorry the heat and humidity are adding to the Fibro. discomfort. Here's hopin' this round passes quickly and you're able to get back to the level of activity that you like best. ;)

Yesterday was the birthday of Walter Farley, the author of "The Black Stallion" and "Island Stallion" series of books for young people. I read every single one of his books at least once between the ages of 10 and 13. But my all time favorite was, "Man O' War", a fictionalized account of Man O' War's career from the perspective of a young groom in the Riddle stable. A copy of it still has a prominent place on the library bookshelf. It sparked an interest in horse racing and the history of the American turf that has stayed with me to this day. Of greater interest is how often the names of the rich and powerful industrialists appear in the annals of the turf history.

The shower valve has been installed, the baseboard heat capped and shortened to accomodate the new shower pan, and my brother is coming today and we'll do some framing, some demolition, and possibly some blocking in the shower area. If I spend too much time thinking about all the work I can break out in a sweat, but that won't help get it done so it's best to just plod along in a forward direction. The only reason it all seems so daunting is that I don't possess all the requisite skills to do it myself and therefore don't have a complete picture of how to organize the work for my own peace of mind. But it will be OK because my brother has what I lack and I'm willing to learn.

Yeah, Anita, I don't understand why the importance of "morale" is so easily set aside, either. Maybe it's because I'm "a morning person" but it seems practical to me to begin the work day with a smile and few minutes of chit-chat before moving on to the list of things that need to be accomplished over the course of the day. A "master plan" is so helpful and keeps everyone moving forward with an eye toward meeting deadlines. I'm savvy enough to know that the snappiness is not really directed at me personally, rather it's a way to vent frustration and insecurity so I'm pretty good at "blowing it off", but it gets tiresome. I've always been pretty organized and methodical but my experience with Mum really reinforced the necessity of it and also revealed how much "more free time" I had than I thought I did! So, while I'm sympathetic to the daily stresses we face at work I am also brutally honest about high cost of disorganization, clutter, and taking frustration out on others. No time for that crap, thanks.

I WALATed last night with the dog and am appalled at the growth of the lawns and weeds, you guys. I did mow the Fertile Cresent yesterday afternoon, and hope to get to Sanitary Ridge and the south lawn today, before the next round of rain arrives late this afternoon. I haven't done ANY mulching in any of the gardens... the Compound is hardly "tour ready" but such is life. It's still a pretty good place to hang out. ;) Good vibes.

Kathy, I hope the event goes smoothly for you. I don't mind putting in long hours or extra days when it's necessary, either. The way I see it it's part of the bargain and if some elbow grease is required to make it easier in the long run then I'm all for it. I was gratified to see your concrete wasteland in all its glory. Thank you for posting that. :) What are your plans for the area after the concrete bustin' is accomplished? You must be pleased that Mr. Baby will be nearer to you, seems like a practical move for DD, though perhaps not the once she'd most like. Solidarity within families is important, what good is a "family" without it?

No haircut yesterday, for which I was grateful. Yesterday afternoon was busy and we went to the theatre last night. There was an OUI checkpoint on the way home. I'm not sure how I feel about that sort of thing... I see the practicality of it but there is something about random stops that offends a nascent Libertarian spark that glows in my core. It would be a good deal easier if people were able to enjoy themselves within the bounds of good care, huh?

Time to take care of some really basic "weekend chore" stuff before the brother arrives and the real work begins.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Last night was French Club night, a pot luck affair in a new member's lovely garden. She is Quebecoise, and outgoing and fun. She had prepared a rhubarb soup, something I've never had before, and we ALL demanded the recipe. There were all sorts of wonderful goodies: a pasta salad Greek style, a good coleslaw with pecans, a fresh green salad, my own Waldorf salad with apples, chicken, celery, grapes, pecans, yogurt and cinnamon. Then various wines, dessert squares, fresh watermelon and pineapple and of course lots of fun conversation.

Today is the last sunny dry day for a long time, so I am hoping to accomplish great things outdoors.I am hoping that DH will do the run to the dump by himself. Hmmmm. There is still no weeded area for planting the ghetto items.

I too am happy to see Kathy's cemented area. A dose of reality is sometimes a comfort on this forum with its super photos! I hope indeed to see an "after" shot one day soon! ;)

I was asked about the Durandii/peony photo. I cannot say what the name of that Peony is. I'm afraid, other than for clematis, I neglect the names of things and just plant what I enjoy. Even with clematis I am becoming lazy about that. Well lazy may not be the right word. I've had a problem with tags weathering and being "relocated".

I received (a VERY) few seeds for Angelica Ebony and must plant them today. Crossing my fingers on this!

The camera at DD's was misplaced...and recently found again. So I have no update shots on Ms Ivy Rayne, which is hard on the old lady! I hope thids is corrected soon but there's lots going on at their place, so who knows when. I'm told she weighs 10 pounds and is 22.5 inches long, chatters a lot and is at the giggle stage...all of which sounds girly to me.

I'll leave you with a 'few' more...
    Integrifolia type, Lake Baikal
    {{gwi:162690}}

Peveril Profusion
    {{gwi:162691}}

Roguchi
    {{gwi:162693}}

The President
    {{gwi:162694}}

Dutch Iris
    {{gwi:162695}}

Foxgloves
    {{gwi:162696}}

A favorite hardy single white rose with Betty Corning lurking behind. (Morden Snowbeauty)
    {{gwi:162697}}

Enjoy your garden!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Where has the week gone? We leave for Florida on Monday. I know its going to be hot but it sounds like they might not make it here this summer. We will surely go to the ocean and they have several pools in their complex. Since our flight leaves in the evening from the city that my son lives in, we will spend a little time with him that day.

Today I must gather all the containers and move them to my potting area so that the sprinkler on a timer can water them. Ive actually done very little watering of them as we seem to get showers almost daily.

Ive been trying to get the weeds under control and never got around to mulch yet. We get back on the 4th and leave again on the 9th for our annual family camping weekend. Then on the 16th I have a group of women coming for a garden tour. Yikes!

As Ive been weeding Ive noticed quite a few clematis seedlings. Some are getting to a decent size and will need to be relocated.

My world is becoming much more green these days as the crops begin to really green up the fields. The wild roses, which are Iowas state flower, are in full bloom. They basically only grow along the gravelly edge of country roads. Also, in abundance are prairie phlox, anemone, pale purple coneflowers, and quite a few others that I dont know the name of.

Woody, I enjoy Ramona on my garden arbor.

Cindy, the arches and columns in the picture you posted are wonderful. I love your combination of the 2 clematis.

Kathy, my burgundy gallardia mingles later in the summer with rhus Tiger Eyes

Anita, what a wonderful transformation of your side yard.

V, that variegated basil is very cool.

bug, you have so many wonderful clematis.

A few pictures of the local wildflowers.

Its a lovely cooler day so Id better go enjoy my garden ;o)

Michelle
    {{gwi:162698}}
    {{gwi:162699}}
    {{gwi:162700}}
    {{gwi:162701}}

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Michelle, I love your wildflower pics. The roses and phlox look like what grow here. Both of them are sprinkled around our yard.
    Your method of taking a flight is like what I used to do. I would go to our Tim's house, and he would take me to the Little Rock airport. I would have to make differant plans now if I was to fly since he no longer lives in L.R.

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

A very hot Saturday afternoon here in the Napa Valley; I spent most of the day standing in an asphalt parking lot calling out raffle ticket numbers. I am now hiding in the house while the water runs outside-the garden looks very, very sad. Burnt up roses, Joe Pye is almost reclining, and even my Viburnum is wilted. Ill be spending the evening watering in preparation for more of the same tomorrow. I bought a 6 x 4 piece of shadecloth and am going to create a removable sun shade for one of my container areas. This time of year the late afternoon sun slants down on that area and I want to keep it from sunburning. No WALATS today until at least 8pm, hopefully temps will be on the way down by then. I even have the AC on in the house, which I dislike doing, but after standing in that parking lot all day cooling off seemed extremely compelling.

The concrete utility area is the RV parking , which for some is nice to have, for me worthless. The challenge with this space is that it lies on the north side of my 2-story house, and is fenced in, creating more shade cast by the fences, and is also open to the west which means it gets the worst hottest part of the sun. If I remove one section of fence, that divides it from my back garden I think I will have space to put in a small veggie garden, I think an 8x8 space would work fine for me. The issue of course is the expense of having the concrete removed and then probably some topsoil brought in . I have access to fall-down lumber and could probably build myself a couple of raised beds out of redwood or cedar pretty cheaply. Its fun to think about it, and knowing myself as I do, if I keep thinking about it it will probably happen this fall, if the cost is not prohibitive. Its one of those areas that annoys me every single day

And the loo project at the compound continues !

bug your Clems are fabu- I think my fave of the latest batch is Roguchi. And The President-I actually have that one, though it is bloomed out now.

Michelle, like your posting of the wildflowers that grow in your area.. The rose reminds me of the Rugosas that grow on our coast. I hope you will post a pic later of your Gaillardia-Tiger Eyes combo.

Hi Marian !

Im going to sit on my keister and watch baseball for awhile.

Later !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I enjoyed the wildflowers from Iowa, too. The rugosas are trying to bloom here and a few sunny days will really spur them to action. I'll bet you're really excited about going to Florida, though no doubt dismayed that Miss Kenzie may not be visiting this summer. She must change so much in the space of so little time and I'm sure it tugs at your heart to not be able to see it with "your own eyes". It will be fun to hear about your visit, hope you have a ball.

Yesterday was another overcast, gloomy, humid day here. I mowed the lawns and the grass must have been over 6" high in some places. The mulch feature on the mower was ineffective and I suspect I may have to drive over it once more with the bagger to pick up the clumps that were left behind. No doubt about it, the grass certainly loves the weather patter that's been parked over New England for well over a week now. So do the slugs. More clammy gloom on tap today and the forecast for the coming weeks shows a chance of thundershowers nearly every afternoon!

There was no demolition yesterday, but the blocking is in place in the shower area and the shower base has arrived, along with the shower fixture. Time to get going on the tile selection.

The real excitement yesterday involved a chipmunk. It's easy to leave the screen door to the deck open since the canopy and the screens are now in place. But there is a danger in doing so since there is a cat door in the canopy screen and occasionally they bring live prey onto the deck. I heard Rex scuttling around in the bedroom and turned just in time to see Mr. Chips scurry across the floor and into the bathroom. Visions of chippies inside the walls or hopping through the hole in the floor and into the suspended ceiling below flashed before my eyes. Instead, the little guy decided he would seek refuge inside the hollow portion of the bidet's base. Where he remained for over 3 hrs. while I tried to figure out how to extricate him. The back of the bidet is 6-8" from the wall so I couldn't really see inside the hollow part. Nor could I get my hand inside to grab him since the waste line that drains the bowl was in the way. I tried salad tongs but the waste was in the way and they weren't quite long enough. I tried poking him with coat hangers from each side of the waste to convince him that the place wasn't as secure as he thought. We tried hooking the spray attachment to the compressor for the pneumatic nail gun and creating a mini-tornado inside the bidet base. No luck. I finally unbolted it from the floor and was able to move the bidet enough to get him out from under it. He scooted into the bedroom and even sat atop the bedside table for a bit. Then into the living room and under the TV table and under the bookcases and the case clock. We finally herded him onto the deck. Terrified he climbed the screens before cowering in a corner while I unzipped the corner where two screens meet. He then made a dash for the opening, raced across the filon roof and hurled himself into space landing somewhere near the pergola. I suspect he lived to fight another day but to my mind it's only a question of time before he makes a fatal error in chippie judgement and is once more seized by a cat. With a video it could have become a You Tube hit.

How thick is the concrete you have to have busted out of the area, Kathy? it would seem it would be pretty thick if it was meant to support the weight of an RV. Is it reinforced, too? I have a feeling you'll be working on that area, too. Real estate being what it is these days heaven only knows how long you'll remain where you are and that said, your space should be a place you like to be. I like the idea of adding a vegetable garden to your personal "compound".

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chelone's weather is about to move to our area. The clouds are here already, the rain is due at lunchtime.

Delighted to see Yeonasky peek in on the clematis thread!

Last night in the 9PM darkness, I managed to finish weeding the perimeter of the vegetable garden. Need more mulch for the back, but not too much. Maybe I can buy that later today and complete the job in the rain.

Today I'm off to a sand, stone and gravel meeting. Definitely not a pleasurable affair related to gardening.

Later,
    'bug

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Just popping in to say "Hi" to Yeona! Do come back and give us an update on you and yours.....

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Hiding in the house again with brief forays outside to move the water. Going to Julie-Job the kitchen this afternoon, and reward myself with a cold beer when complete. I measured my world-o-concrete this morning to , so I could draw a plan and dither over it. 1st wave of dither is complete. Im going to try to find a free-trail garden design software to download . Any suggestions ?

Chelone, Im thinking the concrete is not reinforced based on the year it (the house) was built. We also dont have the freeze-thaw issues here , so no expansion joints or the like. Lol the antics of Mr. Chipmunk. Ive had neighborhood dogs and cats stroll into my house but never a chipmunk!

OK, off to the kitchen. Might post some daylily pics on a separate thread this afternoon too

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I have a few small JulieJobs to accomplish this afternoon myself, Kathy. But I'm not getting very far with them, the world of Mary I is considerably more compelling than any of them! I'll be interested in what you end up with for software, the thought would never have occured to me, not surprising given my Luddite tendancies. ;)

I did make a cake this morning after spying two very freckled bananas that I wouldn't eat on a bet. So, it's banana cake today and the recipe recommended a lemon or orange filling between the layers with whipped cream for topping. Luck was with me and I found a couple of lemons in the crisper and some cornstarch on the shelf. I hauled out the double boiler, followed the directions and, voila! the filling was created. It was pretty easy and the combination has passed the taste test as far as I'm concerned.

Not much else to report, I'm afraid. I would rather be outdoors accomplishing something that left dirt on my clothing and my hands...

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Chelone - the chippie story cracked me up when I pictured you tackling the bidet!

I wonder how Julie is doing with her relocating of garden plants - I hope we get pictures soon....

We had a bit of rain this morning and then it turned out relatively nice in the afternoon. So we went off to walk around the rose gardens at RBG (Royal Botanical Gardens). gb - if you have any concerns about not being able to keep ahead of your weeds, take a jaunt down to RBG and you'll feel much better! They've had financial difficulty for a number of years now and it shows up largely in maintenance - i.e. weeding or the lack thereof!

The roses are all in bloom there so I checked the swag when we got back. It's starting to bloom now but nowhere near full bloom. Here're two views from a few minutes ago:

From near the end of the south alley path in the backyard looking back towards the front:
    {{gwi:162702}}

From just inside the gate looking along the house side of the swag:
    {{gwi:162704}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Strawberry shortcake here for dessert!YUM!

Didn't get to all the things I hoped to do this afternoon. I hope tomorrow the weather allows me to remove more Japanese anemones to make room for some of my new ghetto items. So many weeds. ..Yes Woody, those problems at the RBG have really taken a toll. I hope they come out of their difficulties one day soon. My friend Lynn takes her judging courses there. Your rose swags are really coming along!

DD sent photos at last! Sometimes I am taken aback by Ivy Rayne's resemblance to her brother Reed.

{{gwi:162706}}

{{gwi:162707}}

DH is off walking Ms Phoebe. In one month, the gang will be here visiting. I'm excited for you Michelle!

'bug

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

It appears that pink is studiously avoided 'bug !

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Woody, It looks like the rose is doing just what you wanted it to do. Great concept. Norma

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Ivy Rayne seems to be a happy baby. Her smile is infectious.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

I took a day away from the flower gardens an worked on the edge of the woods and trails. Things were getting pretty overgrown, and I didn't want to lose all of my previous hard work cleaning it up. I water things yesterday because it was our hottest day at 97 degrees and and of course it rained last night but it brought cooler temps too so I could take the time to do something else. I need to do more weedeating in the morning then try to get an appointment at the vet for the new kitty. I'm hoping the cooler weather will stay for a few days.

I'm pretty tired so thats all for me tonight. N

• chelone
    14 years ago

It's a big day for Norma and Niki, let's hope she receives a clean bill of health. How old do you think she is, 8wks.? I know what you mean about cleaning up areas that you've previously worked hard to get under control; nice way to keep moving forward in spite of the heat. Good for you and I'll bet you were tuckered out! How does Rebel handle the heat? it takes a toll on Rex, he finds a cool place in the grass and just sort of hangs out. When it gets too hot he goes into "the pool" and wades around for awhile.

I've been wondering about Julie, too. Maybe she'll poke her head in today and give us an update.

More gloom, leaden skies, and humidity today. I try not to grouse about the weather too much because it's pointless but the monotony of the weather pattern is really beginning to take a toll on me. Strawberry growers are now in danger of losing much of their crop, which is very sad. The town was full of tourists this weekend, though. There was a lot of very heavy traffic on the road which is common when the weather is crummy... people are constantly "en route" to somewhere and then they come back to their motel rooms.

I've removed all the toiletries from the bathroom vanity area and will go pick up the shower base this morning, too. I'm not sure what exactly is on the docket for the morning but I suspect this is demolition day. (I'll keep the screen to the deck closed today!). I'm not sure how far we'll get but will know more later today, lol.

Ivy looks like a very contented baby, 'bug. It's good to be loved and cherished. I'm certain you see the resemblence to Reed and while it must be very poignant for all of you I can think of no nicer reminder of him. Does my heart glad to see the joy on her Daddy's face and so it must be for you, too.

Isn't it about time for Eden to post a shot of Kate just to ensure we have our fix of "pink"? ;)

Woody, the rose swag is only going to get more beautiful with every passing year. I'll bet you're excited about it. I think it's a brilliant way to add interest to a narrow area and I suspect it may just make the requisite pruning and deadheading easier. I love the color of the roses against your home, too; very pretty.

Is anyone else sick of the 24 hr. news blitz about Michael Jackson? Yeah, he was talented. Yeah, he's dead. But frankly, I'm more interested in the 2 wars we're fighting, what's going on in Iran, and the state of the country's mismanaged finances... . Enough already!

OK, time to go get the shower base. Later.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Chelone, I am sooo with you on the Michael Jackson news!!!!
    Enough already!

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Too much of any one thing can become annoying, no matter how necessary or beautiful or talented. Like the rainy weather-we need the water, but the sun is more welcome. Like MJ, he was a musical genius, but we can tire of hearing it. Let him now RIP, a peace he couldn't find on earth. Although, hearing about our crummy economy is something I'm getting impatient with now. If the media all of a sudden starting giving glowing positive reports, don't you think people would relax a little and look up? So the TV remains off most of the time, and the garden and reading beckons.

bug...Miss Ivy is growing up fast. She is too precious.

chelone...A funny chipmunk story. I would have needed a week off to recover from it, but I'm sure you just went about your day in your usual no-nonsense way after it was over. It sounds like you have as many running about as I do. Are you photographing the bathroom redo? Day by day? The dust is the worst part of renovations. You'll find some in a tucked away place a year from now. But have fun! At least you have something to take your mind off the rainy weather. How far are you from the ocean?

Julie...Yoo-Hoo! Where are you? Stop in so we know how the backyard is coming along.

norma...Hope the vet brings welcome news. Good for you on keeping up with the out of the way areas. It sounds inviting, though, when you speak of woods and trails. Do you have a photo of this area?

woody...your rose swag is the star of that side garden. I love how it encloses the area and gives it such a cozy feeling. Is Randy wanting to go back to work yet? Or are you going easy on him at home? LOL.

Kathy...I chuckled over your planning and dithering comment on the deck area. That is how things get done, though. First we plan, then we dither, then plan and dither some more, then the job is done. Satisfying, isn't it? There are so many possible uses for that area, and with your artistic eye, it will look great whatever direction you decide to go in. It's good to have a project to work on, though. I'm trying to come up with my next one...but there's never enough funds to match my ideas. So I have to settle on something less, and there goes the enthusiasm...until the next, less grand, idea comes to mind.

Grass cutting is on the agenda today, but a couple of errands need to get done first. So off I go. Have a great day all.

I have a taste for lemon banana cake. Can you bring a slice over chelone?

Here's some yellow with a shot of purple...
    {{gwi:162708}}
    And another purple yellow combo with a favorite grass, 'Bowles Golden' sedge...
    {{gwi:162709}}

Anita

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Good day, mates....

Lots of lovely photos on threads to look at -- oddly I can see Woody's gorgeous pics of her swag here altho Im forbidden from awfic protocols to seeing her other threads that are picturetrail and Michelle's p.trail -- my poor little mind cannnot wrap itself around the differences... weird isnt it? I think it's so neat when a "plan" comes together like that, Woody - it's really lovely.

It was a glorious weekend of weather in my region - sadly I spent it in another state -- just my luck right? I had a really hard time getting in the car to do the trek when I discovered the low humidity, great temps, and lovely sunshine.... Such is life though.

Funny chippie story, Chelone -- The Chipmunk and the Bidet -- I think it would get banned for the title alone, though, LOL...

Missy Ivy is looking suitably impressed with her new surroundings - it's amazing how quickly they progress -- it could well be in a year she'll look nothing like Reed; I've never understood how babies can change in appearance so much but they do.

I guess Michelle is winging her way to Fla -- boy, that's going to be one ecstatic grand-daughter when she sees the personal appearances.

O, Anita - you asked about that astilbe photo - it was one of the Open Days conservancy gardens last year in New York state -- another absolutely drop-dead garden I thought; it was also huge w/ several acres (maybe 6 if I recall correctly) and a huge number of "rooms" that were bigger than houses in some cases -- but her hands-on combos and personal involvement with the garden were clear in every scenario and she just had a fantastic eye I thought.

Re Chloe, so far she's recovering pretty well and we're working on weaning the meds away - about 75% of the way there so far - she's gotten a lot more energy and zip altho she seems unable to do stairs on a daily basis -- sometimes it's a good day for that; others she needs a "lift" -- at 7 lbs I dont mind at all and am glad to accommodate whatever will keep the "creampuff" happy and well. It makes my spirits happy tho to see her perky and happy and interested in life -- it's funny how such small things (like zipping around) can make one delighted with life, isnt it?

I fear truth in gardening would encompass my entire gardens at present! The weeds are thriving ...

lunch calls.

-cindy

• chelone
    14 years ago

Kenzie is going to be so surprised. I think surprises like that are great.

The demolition of the bathroom is complete. The original wall behind the vanity is gone and the new one is studded in. All the sheetrock that was removed was bagged and has gone away in the Waste Management truck. All dust has been vacuumed up and the tools are neatly set aside for the next round. I picked up the shower base this morning and it fits inside the opening! The helpmeet is going to deal with moving the wiring for the electrical outlet and the lights tomorrow. The plumber needs to set the base in place and install the new waste line for the shower, move the waterlines for the new vanity, install the new waste and vent for it, and finalize the new, shortened baseboard heat. Once it's been inspected it will be time to sheetrock, install the hardibacker for the tile and move on to the tiling. I expressed nervousness about tiling but my brother said it wasn't a big deal and not to sweat about it. So I won't. I have been taking pictures but right now I might lose my nerve if I downloaded them and really looked at the state of disarray it's in, so it's best that I don't torture myself at this stage of the game. :)

Yes, there are many chippies here and there is at least one that meets a grisly end per week. Countless mice and voles, too, but that's why we have cats! Purrfect little assasins in snug fitting fur suits. I've had several live prey incidents over the years, the first one was the worst. Once I dealt with that one I realized it wasn't really such a big deal and getting my knickers in a twist over it wouldn't be helpful anyway. For those with kids, I liken it to the first serious injury your kids sustains. You deal with it and afterwards you sit back and think, "hey, I survived that one".

I love the sedge, Anita. I have tons of them here, also come really cool clumping reed-like jobs. They love the wet acid soil here, but aren't nearly as vividly colored as your "Bowles Golden".

Cindy, I'm glad to know your little creampuff is feeling better. It was a big deal when Wrecks was layed up with the ACL surgery. Hard to believe they're the same species, one at 7 lbs. the other at nearly 100! I honestly don'think there's much worse than watching them languish in discomfort. You must be feeling lots better, too.

OK, I've had my dinner and my shower and now it's time kick back and relax with my book. Archbishop Thomas Cranmer (authored the Book of Common Prayer) has just gone to the stake in Oxford and Mary I's reputation is beginning to take on a decidedly "bloody" cast. But I've developed a different opinion of her based on this book. Certainly she made a grave public relations mistake by underestimating the extent of the Protestant reformation in her country and northern Europe but she was far from the wavering and inept religious zealot portrayed in so many history books. I believe our Mary is from Kent and I've just learned that the greatest percentage of the nearly 300 burned for heresy under Mary I were from Kent... roughly 17% of those were women.

OK, time to pick up my book and relax for a bit before retiring and going to work tomorrow. Nighty-night.

• jak1
    14 years ago

O.K. guys, here I am still alive and kicking!

The Fence Is In. The Shed Is Moved. The Garden was Dug Up and Plants Bagged/Boxed in Time. The Topsoil Arrived. The Topsoil Was Moved. The Garden Has Been Replanted. The Pool Is Up and at least ten kids have been in it already. Nasty Next Door Neighbour has been Barked at by Bold Bostons on Their Own Side of the Fence. I am Totally Exhausted.

This was the summer that we were'nt going to undertake any new projects....

Today I got my pre-IU haricut, bought some new Crocs and picked up a couple of little tiny bottles of shampoo and conditioner for The Trip. A coupla new t-shirts and I am ready. Oh am I ready!

I think I have pictures somewhere of the Before and some During - but I am just too beat to look right now.l I think a warm shower and a good book sound great, Chelone, and I am heading that way right nowl Maybe tomorrow I will be able to read and respond to all the great posts and beautiful photos. I am ready for dreamland tonighnt.

Cheers all!

Julie

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Chelone, I can just picture you trying to extract the chippie from the bidet. To funny.

Niki's appointment isn't until next monday. I think she is barely six weeks old. She is awfully small. She is really coming unto her fiesty self. Jasmine still puts her in her place though. I hope someday they will become friends but I'm not counting on it.
    I had been thinking of getting a couple of kittens, before Niki arrived ,so they would be companions. But after looking at vet bills for getting one kitten started I don't think I'll do two.

Rebel has three places he goes for coolness. Damp dirt under the back deck, the garage floor and the dust under the front porch. I think he goes under the front porch mostly to escape the bugs. The dust under ther is a fine white powder and when he comes out and shakes himself there is a cloud of dust to rival the cartoon character "Pig Pen."
    He needs a bath but it would be pointless. He is due for shots at the vet too. But I am waiting to get my car out of the shop to haul him in. Don't want to put him in the new car and it's to hard to get him in the pickup.

It's good you have your book during all your wet gloomy weather. And with all you have going on, it's a nice escape.

I don't watch much tv so I avoid all the hype.

Anita, I still haven't figuered out how to get my picture trail uploader to work again. I mowed a few more trails today. Now I have all the ones on this side of the creek done. It was nicer doing them while they were still damp instead of dusty. I didn't get so dirty. But I still got cedar down my back and in my drawers. LOL. pretty uncomfortable. I need to do some limbing back this fall.
    Looks like you are better at spacing your plants than me. I am a crammer. Sedges do pretty well here too.

Cindy, our humidity has dropped way down too. Thank goodness. I am happy to hear Chloe is feeling better. I hope she continues to improve and get off the meds. Sorry you didn't get to spend time in the garden instead of the trip. But now you can cross that off your list for awhile. The weeds are thriving here too.

Wouldn't it be fun to see a picture of Kenzies face when she sees Michelle and Rick?

I fell asleep in the hammock this afternoon and was worthless the rest of the day. So I didn't get my weedeating done and the ghetto plants are languishing for want of a home. I put in such a long day yesterday I think I was just tried.

Later Norma

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Julie you can be proud for handling all that and you deserve a Idyll vacation. I know you all will have a great time.

Looking forward to pictures when you get around to it.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Hola, my friends, another Monday has passed by- awfice wise anyway, and a 3 day weekend is on the books for this week. Bittersweet-our family for many years has spent the 4th in the redwoods at a funky little resort (term used loosely) about 4 hours north of meany of you who have ever visited the Redwoods of Humbolt County may know the funkiness I speak of and the financial situation forced us to cancel . We hold hope out for next year. We started going there when my DD was maybe in 3rd grade ? On the plus side at least I can stay home and address that damage our 4 day heat wave perpetrated on my garden.

So I downloaded a software called Garden Planner for a free two week trial. If I decide to buy it , only 20 bucks. Its very simple unsophisticated grid /plot-plan type stuff, none of the fancy 3-D action on some of the higher priced programs. I think it will work just fine for me and I am posting pic I took of my computer screen. This shows what plugged in for the RV parking space while learning to use the software. The square things on the lower right are raised bed veggie planters, 6x4. I think this would be nice to have on my computer as I an constantly revising areas and this helps to visualize and tweak a plan, and move things around virtually. {{gwi:162720}}From Garden 2009

Julie, glad you checked in ! what a bunch of stuff going on around your digs- Im willing to bet we will see some spectacular photos in the 2010 season- I hope you had some fun with the clean slate.

Norma, my felines also have their favorite spots for sleeping (a preferred activity for them ) and during the hot weather of the last few days they have avoided upstairs in the house completely .

Nice pics Anita. I find that sometimes just moving plants around satisfies the renovation urgemaybe you need to high-tail it to IU6 to view the new bathroom digs at the Compound ! We promise to show you a good timea really good time !

Time to try to work on some dinner and settle down for baseball..waves to all ! Do you suppose this will be a 2 week thread ?

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Last Thursday I composed a lovely little post, but it is nowhere to be found. I've been an absent Idyller for several days and have let myself fall into the trap of getting behind and then not posting because I am behind. So I have only the vaguest clue as to what is happening with everyone, but I shall jump back in anyway!

DS and his wife closed on their home Friday and moved in on Saturday. All has gone well, and our old washer and dryer moved over there last night. They seem to be very happy, the house looks great and life is good.

Things on the work front are not so happy. The cruddy June weather(torrential rains that segued into unbearable heat and humidity) have made sales evaporate and the outlook for the year is now rather grim. Late last week, the boss decided to cancel the holiday on July 3rd, so I have to burn a vacation day to avoid canceling plans with my family. My personal opinion is that it was a very shortsighted move that is causing lots of ill feeling (mostly due to the short notice) while only saving a small amount of money. I am not seeing a happy ending here

I do feel that life is settling down to a somewhat calmer level, though. Yesterday I read a book - cover to cover! It was a thriller, not high literature, but it felt so good to just sit and read! "Red Hot Lies" by Laura Caldwell, if you're curious. She did a book signing at our local bookstore and while I had another event to go to, DD went and bought a couple of her books. DD and I met up when we were both finished and had a nice evening stroll around the Square. I pointed out the name of a local law firm on one of the buildings - Caldwell, Berner & Caldwell, the author's father and grandfather. DD had never noticed the names.

The garden has had its ups and downs with our crazy weather. Things would not grow because of the cool weather, and then it got so hot so fast, plants scorched. DH thinks I am making it up when I tell him it's too hot/too cool for the plants! I gave up on the first crop of pepper plants that I planted; they never grew at all. I bought replacement plants at the farmers market on Saturday. Most of my tomatoes have started to put on size, but my lettuce went from almost big enough to pick to bolted.

Time to call it a night. Have a good one.

V.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Julie, you are an amazing woman. I'll bet you're glad that whole project is behind you and your kind of tired is the good kind of tired. :) Good fences do make good neighbors. So does a wilderness DMZ. Have the dogs been in the pool yet?

Kathy, I remember the shots of your 4th. celebration last year! It looked like good fun then and I'm sure it's bittersweet to see a long running tradition grind to halt on account of finances. But better to be realisitic and look for fun in the coming weekend. I like the idea of the software you're trying out. It's a lot easier to move it around on paper than in real life, huh?

V., that's a drag about Friday and it's precisely the sort of "pennywise and pound foolish" decision that often plagues smaller businesses. One foot in front of the other and all that good stuff. We're still in the midst of gloom, gloom, gloom. No end in sight until at least Thursday and the helpmeet's garden is suffering mightily. I'd hoped the Early Girls might be productive for tomato, basil, and mozzarella for IUVI but I now have my doubts! Good to know the newlyweds are settled in their lovenest and embarking on a bright future. With a new-to-them washer and dryer, even!

I'll bet Jasmine will come around, Norma. Her nose is out of joint right now, but how threatening can something as tiny as Niki really be? Our Floey and Bobby Lee were a little put out for a week/two when the last 3 emerged from the carrying case but they got right over it. Interestingly, they had less trouble accepting Wrecks; but he's always had a credibility problem with felines. ;)

The plumber is calling for an inspection app't. this morning and will likely be here to finish up his end of the job on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll be glad to have that behind us. Right now I'm more concerned about finding the time to get the alterations work I have on tap finished. I think it's time for a judicious telephone call and setting some priorities to keep from being completely overwhelmed. (I was shocked by the mountain she brought).

I would love to see Kenzie's face, too. Today is going to be a very busy day for her and I'll wager she'll sleep well tonight. :)

Time for me to reload the coffee cup and sit quietly for a few minutes before heading off and putting in my time on the rock pile. I should start wearing black and white horizontal stripes, huh?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woke up to a soggy world with frog accompaniment. The cats demanded breakfast at 6am...

Last night I completed the small dark green sweater for Ivy, but still need to piece the elements together. Perhaps I can do so today, although somehow when DH stays home I accomplish nothing...

Yesterday DH spent time in our attic crawl space attempting to solve the central vac problem. He "thinks" it should be improved now, but didn't go so far as to test it. Sometimes I wonder about the professor. ?*#@!?$%&^*? But then he washed all the pots and pans that had been sitting around the kitchen for a few days (!) and that was so nice. That reminds me of a book, "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. One of the languages is "Acts of Service" and I guess this one speaks to me! (Others are Quality Time, Words of Affirmation, Receiving Gifts and Physical Touch)

Last night our friend the money manager called for his quarterly report. He always gives me a (false?) sense of security. Wouldn't it be great to afford life after 75!

Tomorrow is payday for me and this has been the longest financial stretch for me in years. Could it be all those bags of mulch i bought that depleted my bank account? In any case, Wednesday will see me shopping for dog food, cat food, vet visits, groceries, etc... Old Mother Hubbard's larder is bare. That means I should clean the fridge today. (I hate the word 'should'!)

Thirty-eight years ago today DS was born. It was an amazing day which started very early! It has been a learning experience, let me tell you! My knowledge of children and their phases and stages was limited (not zero) but this child has been a real challenge. Today he is in Berlin, a place he loves with people he enjoys, working at a job he enjoys. I hope he eats something today...he's such an eccentric!

I'm glad to hear from V and her update. Neat story connected to the Caldwell name.

Julie, terrific what you've accomplished, dealing with your neighbour being the hardest aspect I'm sure!

Chelone, your brother sounds like a miracle worker, a gem. How terrific that he can help you on days when the outdoors is gloomy and make advances indoors. I had a situation in our Toronto bathroom involving a hamster escaping down a radiator pipe in the floor. I got a phone call from a tearful son while off at a dinner party... I did come home and 2 hours later succeeded in retrieving the rascal with food as my tool.

Kathy, I just love your planning tool for the new gahden space! I think squared off paper is amazing stuff and it makes the progress on projects so exciting and REAL.

Off to begin torrential Tuesday.
    'bug

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

a fly bye from me --

Anita, we must have been posting yesteday at the same time -- love that sedge - such a pretty color.

Sounds like superwoman Julie is more than deserving of a vacation very soon -- IU here you come... That's an amazing feat you did moving and coordinating all that garden work - glad your Bostons are now safe and secure to do what they will, LOL.... and you wont worry about them while you're gone.

Another whirlwind seems to have hit Chelone's house as well -- cant wait to see all these renos -- and you know, if they're not done, dont worry 'bout it...

Congrats 'bug on living thru the upbringing of that strange animal, the first child -- who is so new and totally alien to us, LOL -- it takes a while to realize they are indeed their very own person and all their own quirks and talents doesnt it? That book sounds very interesting - I'll have to look it up - despite no marriage Im always interested in the various takes on how to relate or speak to the Y gender...

V -- Im sorry about the awfice strategic mistakes -- it does sound shortsighted (esp at the last moment for staff) but firms are being very daring and bold in moves these days and sadly I find the staff are the last people they're really interested in protecting -- I've got some bizarre goings on here altho not due to economic woes - more management using the times to apply some bizarre systems and principles .... Orwellian in nature. Gotta suck it up says I....

It's hottish, dry and guess I'll be slinging a hose tonite -- summer has definitely arrived here.

-cindy

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Slip-slidin' into July. I miss Deanne's summer morning updates, but she's probably standing with two umbrellas in each hand over her potted plants. There's rumors that El Nino will be hitting us this winter.

Can't seem to do the brevity idyll these days, so excuse the length, written last night and shelved. I usually throw these longish ones away but this idyll is a bit on the lean side so...

Nice little program to get the garden planning juices going, Kathy. I saw a lot of driveways appropriated for garden space on the spring garden tour. One guy just covered it in gravel! Sorry your vacation plans have to be adjusted...not a clue what place you're referencing though, but I do remember your photos. Guerneville maybe?

V, I remember you writing recently that you spiffed up your resume, so you seem to have a sanguine view of the work situation. If it's not the economy, now it's the weather really fowling things up. I stopped at a nursery I rarely get to, not a chain, plopped two one-gallons on the counter, and the nice clerk said he'd give them to me for $15 each instead of $16. I sputtered $15...for a gallon? It was an arctotis whose color just isn't to be had locally. Embarrassed, yes, but I put one back. Not many shoppers, and the nursery stock looked shabby. And this a family-owned nursery that's been around decades. I bought my Chionanthus retusus from them, which they started from seed.

Very rare to have the convergence of my days off lining up with Marty's day shifts, Mitch out of town, Duncan in school most of the day. Not complaining, mind you...I worked on transcripts and tuned up the garden. The alstro has finished bloom and left a large gap. Not only do I routinely pull out the bloomed-out stalks but all the ratty leaves as well, but staring at the blank earth where the alstro used to grow brought on a panicked Google session to check if this is correct, since having no leaves between bloom cycles might weaken the plant, right? Didn't find an answer but lots of new garden blogs. Several more lifetimes needed to catch up on reading...

Deanne is right, the golden hops really has to go.

Shopping for travel-sized shampoo is one of the most blissful moments in life. Of course, one can siphon off shampoo from the bottles in the shower, but buying the travel size stuff just makes vacation seem that more tangible. Exciting for all of you heading Chelone's way.

Well, done, Julie! Last summer was the last time we swore we'd never undertake any new projects. I have to say though that the bath house, still unfinished, exceeded all of our expectations. I think even Marty is surprised. He's very methodical in approaching stuff like this, takes his time, but...wow. Base coat of paint applied, floor has to go in next. Maybe it'll be done in just a few more weeks...or a few months, depending on work schedules.

Ein's cool place is under our bed. Sounds like life is about to get very exciting, Norma. We've got a middle-aged brigade of felines here, all over at least five years of age. Joseph, aka Joe. B. Tiger, was sleeping on Marty's clean underwear last night, which was neatly laid out for the 4:30 a.m. wake-up. I'm told when Marty reached for it he was ruthlessly repelled and scratched. Maybe I've mentioned before that the cats and Marty just barely tolerate each other, so there's always these sorts of "misunderstandings."

Anita, your garden photos are lovely.

Cindy, you did a beautiful job with that IU photo. Very good news that Ms. Chloe is feeling her old self.

More clemmies and Ivy too! I'm glad 'bug mentioned Ivy's resemblance to her brother, because it took me aback too. She even has the same summery-brown glow to her face. My niece Ellie seems to be prone to allergies and congestion and has had lots of problems already, pneumonia, etc. Heck, allergies seem to be bugging so many people, lots of sinus infections. One of my nephews has had sinus problems since winter, missing lots of school, pounding headaches all the time, doctors not agreeing on what to do. (Couple days in this house would either cure 'em or kill 'em!)

Love the French Club reports! And of course all the news from those with acres of gardens to report on. Sets my head spinning, all the mowing and trimming and yards of weeding to do.

'bug's delphs brings up a bit of trivia. I had no idea that the photographerr Edward Steichen hybridized delphiniums, but he did, and you can still buy Steichen's mix.

Phlomis samia decloaked and has proven to be the real deal, not a russeliana in disguise

{{gwi:162722}}
    Full stop...(hi, Cindy)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Denise, I dare say that it would take napalm, dynamite, or an excavator to harm a plot of established Alstromerias.!

Sneaking back out

Kathy at the Awfice

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well here's a test for you Denise!

{{gwi:162724}}

{{gwi:162731}}

In the photos above Ivy is 1 week younger than Reed.

And this is our son 37+ years ago!

{{gwi:162732}}

Speaking of delphs, I bought a reddish one on Sunday! And this is the first year that Phlomisw russeliana is going to bloom here...after waiting about 4 years.
    The real miracle though is that I did clean the fridge!
    'bug

• chelone
    14 years ago

It is 58 degrees right now. The high for the day was a blistering 61 degrees. Heavy overcast and fog. I am wearing jeans, a turtleneck, a fleece vest, wool socks, and my slippers. The helpmeet has caved and decided that it's time to light a fire in the woodstove. More of same for tomorrow and rain for Thursday into Friday. Pack your fleece.

I am amazed at the similarity of the babies, 'bug. Family genes and the phenotypes are interesting, aren't they? Also like Cindy's thoughts on learning about your kids... individuality is fascinating, too. Such insights warm me on a grim, chilly day. :)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good afternoon....

Greetings from Seattle...oops, I mean Boston. [g] The weather, instead of being aggravating, has become a daily joke. The silver lining is that no watering and no air conditioning at least. ..... This has been the longest thread! Nice to see a little more activity today.

Kathy, that software looks pretty useful for $20. So does this mean that you have decided to take out the cement? I was looking at that photo of your side yard and envisioning what a great place for a very functional work area with seating area surrounded by tons of containers a la Deanne and veggie containers a la Woody, and no weeding. :-) You could even artistically paint stepping stones across it in the same configuration.

Marie, your Waldorf salad sounded wonderful.

I was reminded of Chelone's hilarious chipmunk adventure when a chipmunk showed up at the base of the bird feeder helping himself to fallen seed on Sunday. I rarely see one. Then this morning looking out the kitchen window, I did a double take. Inside a globe shaped squirrel proof bird feeder, that has a metal cage around the inner tube of seed, I see the chipmunk! He is so cute and looking very well fed. He made several trips back and forth to the feeder this afternoon, stuffing his face. I would hate to think what problems in the garden he could accomplish if he is feeding a family. I have no idea what to do about him, with no cats or dogs at our house.

Then I had a second encounter with animals. DD stayed over last night and I drove her to the train this morning and on the way home, a cat followed by 5 tiny kittens crossed the street in front of the car. I slowed down and watched them and they went into a driveway. The mother cat was out in the open and looking back at me watching me. She stood across the driveway from the kittens who had all run under a car in the driveway and were watching me and the mom. It was so strange. I can't imagine if someone owns the cat/kittens that they would just let them roam free. Also found myself wondering about the kittens behavior. I would have thought they would have stuck like glue to the Mom. There is an empty lot next to the house where they were running around and I wonder if they were ferral cats or belonged to the owner of the driveway they were in.

Woody...your rose swag is looking great for it's first year!

Anita...I love your Bowle's Golden grass. It is one of my favorites and I keep looking for one and haven't found one yet.

Cindy, what great news, that Chloe is recovering! It's been a long haul for the both of you. Did you ever find out what caused the problem she had in the first place?

Julie, you are amazing! lol

Norma, any photos of Jasmine, Rebel and the newest addition?

V....we are still in this cool, overcast weather and I am bracing myself for when it finally quits, the heat will probably be brutal. Sorry to hear your garden is suffering.

Hi Denise! :-) I enjoy your longer posts, I hope you will stop throwing them away...lol. Very pretty Phlomis. I'm waiting for final photos of your new outdoor tub area.

Like Denise, I am missing Deanne's posts, and more photos from Eden too.

Marie, not sure I am following you, is that a photo of Ivy on the top with a photo of Reed second? I could easily say it was the same child. DS was a sweetie! Such a happy boy!

Another long one from me.....

pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

{{gwi:162733}}

Cement skies over Luangwa Valley, Zambia, set off a string of ruby-plumed carmine bee-eaters perched on a branch. Over the years, the National Geographic Society has supported many ornithological studies, from George Shirass Migratory Bird Treaty, a critical piece of conservation legislation, to Ernest Holts expedition to South America to research and photograph more than 3,000 birds representing 486 species. Photograph by Frans Lanting

We only need a couple more posts to finish off this thread. [g]

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes PM, you are the winner! The top photo is Ms Ivy, the second Master Reed. Of course all the pink clothing piled on the couch behind her was a subtle hint. I am told that has been organized and put away since.

The green sweater has been completed! It is on the ironing board with a damp cloth on top to set things in place. So I started another item already!

DH and I tested a rather new fish take-out shop tonight. Excellent fish, but I'd sure like some vegetables or salad along with it. All they have are fries, battered mushrooms or onion rings!

Gotcha beat Chelone! It's 62F here. ;) I've worn a jacket indoors all day, but Phoebe is fine in her fuzzy outfit! She needs a haircut though the instant the sun returns. I see mushrooms in the lawn...but no carmine bee-eaters here.

Bonsoir!
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Marie, that was the only way I could tell, which was which, was the clothes on the couch. [g] That is scary how much they look alike!

I forgot to ask about Saucy, the bee eaters reminded me, that we haven't heard much about the bees lately. :-)

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

62 here as well, with a low of 55 predicted. June 30th, eh? The poor plants don't know which way is up. My giant elephant ear, which got potted rather late, is just poking out of the pot today. At least DD and DH can stop telling me it is dead.

gb, the only way I could tell them apart was by the pink clothes in the background. What a resemblance!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Im closely monitoring my wardrobe selections for IU6 . A few weeks to go and things can be so changeable- I guess the milder temps are better than the scorchers we had last year. Most important though is getting together and enjoying the bond we share , the friendship and espirit de corp and the best WALATs one could imagine !

Our heat wave has abated, and today my Maryrotts Daylily order arrived- what wonderful grower they are-I like that they are within a 2 hour drive so I feel good about the cultural info, but get this, I ordered 3 plants, and I got 3 freebies, all double fans , with beautiful plump roots, and more $$ than the cultivars I ordered. Now I have to decide where they will go.

PM, I have a potting bench in my back garden , and only need a utility space for the trash cans , firewood etc, and of which will fit easily in the very top area of the plan. Doing it or not depends entirely on the $$ involved- if it costs a grand Ill do it in a heartbeat , but I fear it may be more in the 5k range , and beyond the top boundary is another phase of the project. Ill get a quote after IU and decide then.

Gotta cut this short , have some chores to knock out before I hit the pillows tonight

Kathy in Napa

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Drive-by coming up...be on the alert! Cold here, too, but oddly, I don't mind. The flowers are happy about it, I'm sure.

Bug...Ivy and Reed's resemblance is an amazing thing. I can't imagine the heart tossing going on in S&W's world.

Pm...love the bird photo. You always manage to find the coolest ones. Welcome to the chippy world. I have plenty to share if you find you don't have enough.

Kathy, you will have fun with that program...I'm liking what you drew up already.

chelone...Brrr. Your post sounds like the beginning of winter is ascending upon your abode.

V...Of course the canna isn't dead, how can DD and DH ever doubt you when it concerns plants???

Hi denise!

'Nite all,
    Anita