Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Idyll # 384...June...'I am the fairest daughter of the year.'

"Mine is the Month of Roses; yes, and mine

The Month of Marriages! All pleasant sights

And scents, the fragrance of the blossoming vine,

The foliage of the valleys and the heights.

Mine are the longest days, the loveliest nights;

The mower's scythe makes music to my ear;

I am the mother of all dear delights;

I am the fairest daughter of the year."

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

After reading this poem I started thinking... best to enjoy every minute of June.

:-)

pm2

Comments (101)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Saucy - how do you tell which are the drone cells?

33mm of rain here overnight. Lots of thunder and lightening with it (Misty spent a good part of the night hiding under the bed....) but no power outage here.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Woody, drones (the only males in the hive) are larger than the workers, therefore their cells have to be larger, and the caps are bullet shaped (worker brood is all flat). The pictures on the included link are good....

Queen cells looks like peanut shells :) You can see on fig. 8 of the link, that's a "cup" that the worker would put an egg in and begin to feed royal jelly. After it is sealed it resembles the peanut shell.

I know nothing of africanized bees, and I think it's a southwest US occurence. Colony collapse is not as big a deal for the home beekeeper - more of a large operation problem (which is a HUGE problem since bees are driven around for pollination....to me that is the problem....it must be stressful. I have my own silly theories that I can bore you with at IU5).

I have obsessed enough with bees for the day. Dad is getting a new hammock for Father's Day, so Monday I will commandeer it with my bee books :)

Back to weeding....the boys are on a boat ride and Sarah is playing with a friend.

More pictures:
    This is a frame inside my hive. We're looking at a brood frame that has not been capped yet (this is where the 6 day olds where seen):
    {{gwi:162992}}

What do you think of the orange/purple combo? Lots of plants in both pots still need to mature for the whole thing to come together....
    {{gwi:162993}}

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Saucy, I'm over 65, so purple and orange appeal to me now! Used to hate it, now I love it. Things change...

Glad Kenzie is thrilled with her garden. I do hope to see pictures of her there soon!

Denise, I so enjoy seeing the plants in your garden! Lots of light and lacy plants that I'm unfamiliar with. Beautiful colors too.

I'm discouraged about lots of things this weekend: the impossible weeding tasks, the humidity and heat, the death of my car, and other garbage. I'm tired too, so maybe a rest will help my outlook!

Meet Lord Herschell, a tiny clematis.
    {{gwi:162995}}

Clematis recta with Patty's Plum:
    {{gwi:162996}}

Later,
    'bug

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I am getting a LATE start. We had storms and hail last night too. I slept in this morning but I'll pay for it now. I get to mow/weed eat in the heat. :(

"It is amazing how the workers "choose" the next queen they are to become enslaved to..." Isn't that marriage? LOL

The flame thrower works well. You hold it an inch or two above the plant to boil the sap and kill it, roots and all.
    I bought 'stylish' safety glasses yesterday with the new string trimmer. I got a Stihl corded since I cannot start the gas one any more. It just makes me angry every time so it's now replaced. ;) The trimmer got rave in Consumer Reports for being light but tough. I will be trying it out right now.

Later gators,

Jerri

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I LOVE orange and purple. :)

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Saucy, My whole patio is themed around orange and purple with bright yellow foliage thrown in. So yes I like that combo :-) Is that Wyoming Canna? My favorite canna. I just leave them in their pots after a hard frost and drag them into basement or gh. Problem with that is they end up getting too crowded and have been exploding their pots for the last few years.

One of the few mixed pots I have is leonitis leonorus (orange) with purple tradescantia - (I think I'm supposed to call that setscretia pallida now). The leonitis blooms late but worth the wait. I see your 'mombo' tree next to that pot. Very cool looking! What's the real name of that again? I know Denise complimented you on the choice.... Which reminds me. Denise! That euphorbia and N.langsdorfi photo is a magazine cover. Stunning. The langsdorfi seeds all over my gardens but the couple of seedlings I snagged from the garden for a pot turned out to be N.perfume purple. Oh well, I like that one too.

I managed a therapeutic mud bath while trying to dig up some roses by soaking the ground. Their roots were tangled with the ever-suckering weeping cherry roots (I thought of Deanne and envied her the sucker free life she anticipated when removing her weeping cherry this spring.) The roses were 40 feet from that cherry but it's roots go everywhere. (Norma those were red knockouts and I chopped them to the ground earlier this week.) The cherry has some scary looking welts on it's trunk. But the New Dawn has climbed into it - very cool to see its blooms 20 feet up in the cherry tree. So if the weeping cherry dies I'll use it as a trellis until the weight of the ND collapses it. That's the thing I 'spose, the gardens keep changing in spite of us, and surprises or disappointments can turn out better than plan. (Not that I have a plan actually.)

Today is Monty's 13th birthday. Yeah, we celebrated early with the older girls last week. I'll have to hunt up the birthday cake stuffy that is brought out only on these occasions. Monty doesn't play with stuffys he just carries them around like an old woman with her purse. He'll give it to the girls and they'll squeak it so we'll hear the birthday song 29 times before I hide it again.

Kathy, I'm still waiting for the A.sylvestris Ravenswing seed to ripen, but haven't forgotten.

I either need to learn to make my own dark chocolate covered caramels, or clean myself up and head to Trader Joes....

Cynthia

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Orange and purple would be sedate compared to the screaming orange and fuchsia I seem to have enabled this year. This "poorest comer" has had a fine time reading idylls in between editing and the Internet fluctuating off and on. 'bug you need to give "workshops" at the farm in gardening, with participants learning to weed, mow, etc., AND pay you for the privilege! Was that a Fascination clematis you posted a few days back? The C. recta and poppies is a fabulous idea, since I imagine the clem takes over when the poppies are done. My C. recta has made a herbaceous appearance for several yrs running but still shy on flwrs.

Jerri, so true, lol, and I can't stop thinking of bees and overlaying human traits or vice versa, very unscientific. Good thing we have Saucy's stern scientific method as an example.

All our projects are on hold to help Mitch get ready for a little photo show he opens tonight at a local coffee house. Marty and Dune have been making plywood backdrops for the photos. Mitch is a huge Italo Calvino fan and has named the show "New Maps from the Invisible City." He also just started an internship sponsored by the Getty so has been burning the candle at both ends. PM, what poetess wrote that? (Ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends, it gives a lovely light! -- paraphrasing ;)

So it's the Full Monty for the b'day boy today. (Actually, Cynthia's hounds are the only ones I know not doing the "Full Monty," draped in capes and whatnot.) When I get really old (in a couple years) I'm looking forward to going completely purseless -- no comb, etc. rather than clutching one desperately. AND be dressed head to toe in purple and orange. Probably would be refused admission to an idyll reunion, lol.

I also meant to ask when was the last time anyone actually saw a spiral aloe spiralling. The only one I've ever seen was at Strybing in San Fran yrs ago, when the aloes were still very expensive and rare, and I have a sneaking suspicion that all these tissue-cultured ones that are so affordable don't have the oomph to spiral. I've got three nonspiralling ones.

A blue jay screeched and chased Joseph up and down the garden until I finally put the cat in the house. My ears nearly bled from the racket. A hummingbird darted in and out to see what the fuss was, Ein barked, Joseph tried his best to look innocent, but I think he may have found the nest. What a brazen bird, stopping to nibble at the kitty kibble bowl before winging it. The bird and Joe obviously have a grudge match going.

Looking forward to a Kenzie report and what mischief Jerri's pups are up to. And when will the Rex hound be released? And will we find out exactly how many and where anatomically those painters' piercings are located? Someone needs to post some video of the "straw trick" too. Hopefully, no more power outtages too.

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Denise, I'll try to get some better pictures later, but this one is definitely spiraling... It's from Plant Delights circa 2004.

{{gwi:158450}}

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Good job! And spiralling or not, it's still a cool plant. But, honestly, I haven't seen one lately that crosses your eyes and does this

• anitamo
    15 years ago

PM...I think you're right, it must be 'Karmina' since the 'Biokovo' has white flowers with pink centers. Good eye. The hosta is an old one, and long before I started caring about hostas, so not sure on the name. I love any hosta with white flowers. I started a separate hosta bed in the back with only hostas from places that I really trust that aren't selling diseased hostas. The hosta virus X is wide spread and a lot of sellers are turning a blind eye to it. So my new ones are in a separate bed. Are you referring to the tree with the squirrel feeder? It's a red oak...so old that it's hollow inside . It needs to come down, but it's hard to part with. But I don't want it falling over on the house in a bad storm! Love your pic with the baptisia and geranium. Cool combo. My DD (baby of four) is graduating from high school. It's bittersweet. Glad I have DGC to keep me thinking young.

Love all the new photos everyone.

chelone....I'm still cracking up on your description of the painters. What characters they must look like. But you obviously trust them if you leave the door open and let them charge to your account.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:163000}}

The Sun Has Long Been Set

The sun has long been set,
    The stars are out by twos and threes,
    The little birds are piping yet
    Among the bushes and the trees;
    There's a cuckoo, and one or two thrushes,
    And a far-off wind that rushes,
    And a sound of water that gushes,
    And the cuckoo's sovereign cry
    Fills all the hollow of the sky.
    Who would go `parading'
    In London, `and masquerading',
    On such a night of June
    With that beautiful soft half-moon,
    And all these innocent blisses?
    On such a night as this is!

William Wordsworth

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Well I haven't had the time to catch up so I'm just going to jump back in. I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday morning. Scores were 4 brugs, a pink, a peach, a double white, and an apricot. Also 3 coleus and 2 of the bella abutilons. Yesterday afternoon my sister and I took Bella to see a stage production of Beauty and the Beast. She loved it! Last night it was so beautiful out that Brad and I had a fire in the chiminea, the first of this season. My garden's doing well this year, minimal flopping, and with all the rain we've had, everything is huge. I'm getting ready to redo an area under the dwarf fruit trees. Right now it's covered with reseeders, digitalis, persicaria painters palette, brunnera, astrantias. I'm ripping most of that out and putting in a large hosta called Titanic, and a couple of ligularias, the rocket and osiris fantaisie, and 2 cimicifugas, white pearl and black negligee, to start. I took some new pictures of Jenni's garden last week to show you all. I'll try to get those up soon. Off to do laundry, still trying to catch up on that from the power outage. Have a great day and Happy Father's Day to the Idyll guys.

Eden

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

We had a drop-dead gorgeous day here yesterday - so I had to work in the morning and helped DS and his fiance do some furniture shopping at Ikea in the afternoon. But a trip to Ikea is never a wasted day. The summer weekend special was a potting bench for $39.99. I looked at DH with that "can I?" look and his response was to ask if I wanted one or two. They both will go in the garage to organize my work area there. ("work area" sounds so much better than "pile of c***" which is what it really is right now.)

And who could resist a cute little Aloe vera (non-spiraling) for $3.99?

DS and DF bought 2 small dressers, 2 closet storage units, and a kitchen island cart. We helped them haul it back to their apartment and get some of it assembled. DH also helped them install a window air conditioner. Still some work to do, but they are getting settled. We ordered pizza from a place a couple blocks away, and DD and I walked over via the lakefront to pick it up.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have a thunderstorm rolling in right now, so I am going to post this and shut down the laptop. I'll be back later today when the lightning is gone. Have a good one!

V. (fingers crossed for anita's party!)

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I had a conversation w/myself , a stern edict that I need to consolidate some of the numerous mono or duo pots of succulents I have around here into one larger pot. Went and bought a nice Mexican clay bowl for the project. For reasons that remain mysterious, I also bought 7 more succulents. Consolidated 1, count em, 1 mono pot. Got 3 leftover. So much for that project.
    I did however get the front garden all tidied up and deadheaded, a bit of fresh much applied and lingering weeds pulled. The dreaded spotted spurge is declaring squatting rights.

After seeing it about a zillion times I still always crack up at Pillow Talk and the absolutely classic Thelma Ritter performance.

Eden your plan for the re-do sounds most attractive. We may need some before and after pics so we can give you the oos and ahs and other positive feedback ! I have tried more than once to grow Cimicifuga here but to no avail. Think its just a bit to arid here.

Purselessness is an excellent goal Denise. I keep buying them smaller and smaller. A credit card tucked into a discreet location in the event plants are stumbled upon that may require a purchase is a much more vital accessory than a comb if you ask me !

Did someone say something about orange and purple ?

{{gwi:163002}}

Electric Marmelade Magic and Rozanne. The daylily color looks a bit washed out in this pic.

{{gwi:163004}}

I like yellow and purple too.

{{gwi:163006}}

And for PM, Salvia guaranitica 'Agentine Skies'

{{gwi:163008}}

More coffee needed..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Eden, keep an eye on The Pearl. I seem to have a large stand of it this year and didn't before....

I have a huge weed garden...known as 'the flats'. I've had no time yet this year to deal with it. I must say that hostas, the huge type, really help in these circumstances...if you don't look too closely! I need a full time gardener. Actually, more like V's husband's so wise offer, I need TWO.

New blooms are appearing every day. It's mighty exciting. I wish I could keep up with weeding and edging and mowing to keep things looking great. Last night DH helped put a large peony in a straight jacket with me. Seriously, no peony hoop could possibly contain this one! I have dinner guests on Tuesday and hope they have rotten eyesight.

Does anyone else have more tent caterpillars than ever this year? YUCK.

DH is at a conference today which makes things easy as far as food prep is concerned.

OK, lunch break is over and I'm off to rake and finish mowing.
    gb

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Interrupting dad day festivities to announce, sadly, that Chalk Hill Clematis is going out of business and all inventory is 50% off. Supplies going so fast that clems disappear from your shopping cart seconds after inclusion...My shipping bill was more than the cost for plants, and I'm in the same state :(

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

The new potting benches have been assembled. Here's a photo that includes $7.50 worth of Ikea plants on top:

{{gwi:163010}}

Since we discovered that the new benches are slightly taller than the old bench, one of the new ones will stay on the deck and the old one will go into the garage. The great move begins shortly.

'bug, I don't want you to feel bad, so take a close look at the bottom of this photo of Lysimachia Beaujolais:

{{gwi:163012}}

The darn things are very, very persistent...

Time to move the benches.

V.

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Yowsa Denise! I had NO idea. That link was stunning. I'll compliment PD for the integrity of their on-line photo though - showing a gentle spiral, not a military one. Maybe it's an age thing and the plants have to have 150 leaves before they're that congested.

Here's mine, looking straight down on it. Looks like a palsied cousin to the specimen you linked.

{{gwi:163014}}

The smaller I make it, the more it seems to spiral...

{{gwi:163014}}{{gwi:163014}}

How about my spiral acanthus?

{{gwi:163017}}{{gwi:163017}}

And if I make V's potting bench smaller?

{{gwi:163010}}

Eden, I have a Titanic waiting in the wings here too. Picked up a couple of neat hostas at Brent & Becky's 50% off sale. I'm extending (more accurately PLANNING to extend) a small shade border near the driveway. Bug, Cimi simplex ran 3 or 4 feet the first few springs but then stopped. It's always been one of my very favorite plants, and I can't imagine anything I'd rather have take over. Does C.Simplex have time to bloom before frost in your climate?

Here's the real acanthus shot, does anyone have a birthday today?!

{{gwi:163020}}

That's A.spinosa, A.hungaricus just starting to bloom, and A mollis too much shade to ever bloom.

I think I'll make a batch of week-end beverages now and go stare at things until they spiral.

Later, Cynthia

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Just a quickie post to introduce you to the newest member of our extended dog pack... Meet Dexter, BIL's new Airedale puppy:
    {{gwi:163021}}

It looks like he's going to be a handful! He's the third Airedale they've owned so they are experienced 'parents'.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Red Tail Ale in hand I am winding down the watering chores. Cynthia, you are in rare form today ! Rarely do I actually LOL when I am LOL-ing, but you got me with the spiral Acanthus and potting bench .
    Acanthus and I are not on good terms I must say, this a result of the fact that they were all over LA , including vacant lots and streetside hell strips, and the Acanthus puncture wounds I received as a child soured me. I feel the same way about Pyracantha. But your photo is splendid !

Bummer about Chalk Hill- since they are about 30 miles due north of me Im surprised I hadnt heard. I can imagine that they could sell that property to a vineyard developer and make a small fortune. Maybe even a large fortune. Re: Mitches internship at the Getty , muy bueno..was it difficult to get ? I imagine there are a limited number available.

Time to go move the water.. later !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Amazing clouds and rumbles, downpours, hail, etc. Phoebe is nervous, but does not cry. She seems more obedient though! I guess she is not sure what to make of it.

Murders in Toronto this past week, people known to my friend Lynn. Two very decent young men. An incredibly sad mystery...

V, I love Lysimachia Beaujolais, but only as an annual here. Just cannot make it through our winters. As for acanthus, it grows well here, not TOO MUCH! Your new tables are simple, useful and handsome too! And assembled!

C.Simplex does bloom for me Cynthia...at the very end of summer. It is taller than I am and, I'm pleased to say, its girth is greater than mine as well!

I'd best post quickly. Getting dfazrker and I hear the rain once more.

Over and out,
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Getting dfazrker - yes, we've had many days here when it was dfazrker. It's not pleasant at all when that happens!

I'm hoping that the L. Beaujolais is only an annual for me as well. I planted three rather sad looking specimens and was a little nervous when they had developed several new shoots in only two weeks. Hmm, perhaps they can out-compete the thistles?

Cynthia, you're in quite the spiraling mood today!

I potted until I ran out of potting mix today. Unfortunately, I still have some empty pots and some plants that need homes. I made a nice little succulent combo in the tufa pot I made a couple of years ago.

Time to see if Cynthia has made any summer beverages for me!

V.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

So I got busy and snapped the succulent container.

{{gwi:163022}}

And Dahlia 'Thomas Edison' as well.

{{gwi:163023}}

V.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Very dfazrk here now...and noisy and even an accompanying light show. Again.

Photo of the day...a test for Deanne to ID.
    {{gwi:163024}}

gb

• anitamo
    15 years ago

The party went great! I rented the golf course clubhouse down the street from me, so didn't have it at home...too many people for that. Good thing, too, since we lost power around 7:30 in the morning. The storm flew through, but the power never came back on until later in the afternoon. We did have to get the generator going for the sump pump. We have a battery operated one, but DH noticed a valve was broken, so it was on, but not working correctly. TG he noticed that, otherwise we would have had to clean up water in the basement before the party. I love when things work out well. All the food was catered, so no worries there, and I got ready at my DD, who lives a couple houses down. Everyone had fun, and the young ones played in the park across the street from the clubhouse. Sun was out and humidity was low. Great day, and I'm glad it's over. Will probably have one more graduation celebration this summer, but this one for my oldest DS, who just got his master's in tax law. So proud of him.

Laughing at cynthia's spiraling thought process. LOL.

V...beautiful succulent container. I may have to copy that since I have an empty container similar to yours. Love your new benches. I love IKEA. Sounds like you and DH are really helpful to your kids. That's what it's all about.

kathy...love your purple/yellow combos. Very cheerful. The Idylls have similar taste in movies it seems. Pillow Talk is one of my favs. I guess so many of the older films are in my top 20. Just spied Gone With The Wind sitting in my DVD collection...maybe tonight I'll watch it. But I still haven't gotten around to watching 27 Dresses or P.S. I Love You. I have the time to buy them, but not to watch them.

eden...looking forward to see updated photos of jenny's garden. Why are you taking out the astrantias? It's a new plant for me in the past two years, so I'm still unfamiliar with it. Is it a problem plant? The ones you're putting in sound like great choices.

Happy weather everyone,
    Anita

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Saucy, what do bees do when it rains for a full week?

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Over here yonder on the Pacific, it's still lfizt out.

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Good Monday Morning from the abyss between Zones 5 and 6. This means that we've watched fronts come through and battle each other out for the past four days -- more this week. While certainly thinking of all in the midwest who wish any sky would just stay blue for a bit, it's been nothing short of miraculous. A local TV station caught the idea of what was going on in our 1 mile wide band of CT and came out and shot some footage. Very cool when the obviously fru-fru little woman intern stood in the rain because "how can I move when I can see this???" For the shots she borrowed my blowdryer. Maybe a glimmer of hope for her?? Anyway ....

I've been reading along but haven't felt much like doing more than enjoying everyone's pics and thoughts and stories.

The Park looks amazing, and it will be renamed by the end of the summer. Somewhere up above mention was made about planning accidents being the best combos. No Kidding!! The planned stuff isn't looking too shabby, but Woody's mini roses with Rosanne geranium is stunning.

Working from home today, and really really really looking forward to the "not knowing which will be good days" being over. Confirmed over the last two weeks that there isn't any other treatment that's available to me other than the most drastic measure. Researched it, knew it, confirmed it, decision made.

The good treatment news is that my particular surgery will allow for robotics to be used rather than convention laparoscopy. This means far less internal cutting and thus a shorter procedure and less anesthesia. Also, if I want, can leave the hospital the next morning. Some women choose to leave that same day but I'm probably going to opt for breakfast in bed :-)

Other huge news (to me) is that Kyle has applied to take the State Department exam for Foreign Service. This is the first step in an 8-month long application process. Provided he progresses through the steps, the timing is perfect as it coincides with him finishing college in December. He could end up anywhere, and is really excited about this. How can I not be excited for him? Diplomacy, travel, culture, languages have been his tweaks for a long time, and I'm hopeful he makes it through the steps to live his dream. If not, there's always teaching which probably combines all these things, too. LOL

How long does it take for the succulents to spiral? Amazing stuff.

Waving hi to everyone!

Martie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

You guys cracked me right up this morning! Spiraling in the lfizt and dfarktz :)

GB, I would not want to go an ask the bees if they're upset....that's how upset they'd be. I think it was 2004 when we had all rain and no sun....everything was lush and green and bees were starving while they waited.

I need a life :)

Did you know GWeb has a beekeeping forum? I am monitoring it for nice knowlegeable beekeepers!

Sarah just interrupted this post to tell me that the bus is coming 10 minutes early.....

.....and I'm back!

Anita, the party sounds like it went off without a hitch! I just love it when a plan comes together. Congrats are in order for the Master's degree, too!

V., I'm planning a trip out to the lone Ikea in our state next week. I hope they have that potting bench! Those are great! I have a pile of c*** in the corner of the garage, too. I love your 'tufa pot! They're so much prettier when they're potted up.

I ordered 2 clematis, and my shipping was more, too :) I think I did good: "blue dancer" and c. diversifolia "blue boy"

Okay, time to go....the oriole just came to my office window and looked for his daily orange halve :) My grosbeak is back, too. I am in love with my property all over again....did I tell you I have a pet heron, too?

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

YES SAUCY! Blue Dancer is simple and elegant. A climber that flowers on old growth so you must be SURE that no rabbits or mice chomp it in winter or spring. I have to cage mine. Blue Boy is one of my all time favorites. It grows and grows and flops over the fence and grows back up again. Gorgeous too! It gets cut back in very early spring here.

Later folks,
    'bug

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Great photos all -- goes to show one can never even out the pots and the plants -- Kathy, it's impossible to buy a pot to consolidate and not have plants multiple for a gardener -- simple math fact of gardening.

I did wish I'd had the flame weeder on the ride home Friday nite and it might have gone along V's imagination -- you'd have to throw in some very very loud touristas tho who seem to think their children can run and scream for 35 minutes and the other 80 people in the train car are oblivious -- imprisoned right behind them, I could not understand why my flaming gaze didnt shut 'em up.... le sigh... may go mobile w/the flamethrower yet.

Anita, wow - lost power before the big party -- lucky you -- how smart to get the generator -- glad it all went well.

I took everyone's advice & went drastic w/ the cutting and whacking yesterday in the gardens - emerged exhausted but feeling much better as was foretold -- now if things will survive another day of 90 weather - I did manage to dig some holes and plant a few things too -- including that Lys. Beaujolais, V -- what a riot -- I bought it on my plant crawl w/ Cynthia and was debating where to put it - she said hers often never made it thru winter either -- guess we can test it out - mine is in a somewhat low sunken area where water pools after rains - guess we'll see what haps.

Martie, Im sure you are feeling better now that you have a definite course of action and that's terrific it may only be a one day visit... you'll be a new woman before you know it.

Denise - that is so cool about Mitch & the internship at the Getty - Im sure that is a major kudo and I hope it is invaluable for his career -- so cool. Much as they've had some scandals of late, I think they're still a great place and obviously the money pit is bottomless.

You guys and how the world spirals....

Again, Im so lovin the garden shots - I have yet to pot or repot a lot of stuff, but the whacking seemed to be priority one at my place - just never enuf time.

Back to Monday. I can't believe IU is just around the corner.

Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

A fun time was had with Kenzie in her garden, I'll try to post pictures later. The downside is their house sold and they plan to move at the end of the summer. The reality is really hitting me and I'm a little down about it.

Have a good day

Michelle

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Michelle...I sympathize!!!! I haven't seen Reed since Christmas and have no plans to in the near future. Lots of stuff preventing my going, yet DH is planning a second visit. GRRRRR! His first birthday is tomorrow, while they are on holiday for two weeks of camping. No phone....

• chelone
    15 years ago

It's a very gloomy day here. A repeat of yesterday, actually, and pretty much what's forecast for the rest of the week. Something tells me the colorful, pierced painters will be on the scarce side this week.

The new windowboxes are in the process of being screwed together (the battery conked out before they were completed). The helpmeet is (I hope) going to bring home some paint for the final coats when he finishes his "biness" at the bank, etc.. He has once more attempted to tell me how I ought to do the painting and today it has annoyed me. Ummm... who primed, sanded, and painted every inch of every wall and all the woodwork in this house? just screw the damned things together, willya?! and when you've finished that how about you get busy with the railing around the Salon's staircase? NO, I did not say that. ;)

I'm presently working on a set of small panels for the sidelights at a woman's home. I should have them finished in a an hour/so and it will be nice to callher and get the cashola in hand. The new coveres for the patio set are underway and they're going to be pretty. One of the downsides to work in the shop is that it can be pretty "basic". Not a lot of imagination in color schemes or overall plans for yacht interiors, I'm afraid. "I like blue" seems to be a common refrain. I frequently find myself yearning to work on something that is fresh and aesthetically exciting. Maybe it's the state of flux on and around the Compound, the grey day, or a combination of it all... dunno.

We enjoyed a lovely dinner last night with a couple up the road. They're in their late '70s-early '80s and they're a riot. She is a "nice Italian girl" and she explained the meaning of the beads on the Rosary to me (fascinating). She was curious about my question and I told her I've been pretty well immersed in history and the ramifications of the Protestant Reformation for some time now. I will sorely miss them both when they pack it in and are summoned to the great beyond.

Michelle, the grim reality of the move must be tough for you take. Kenzie is such a sweet little girl and she's changeing so much and so quickly right now. I am confident you will put your imagination to good use and find ways to remain in the sort of contact that will allow you note those changes from "away". But I'm also certain you must be very sad... . Ditto above for 'bug and the rapid changes in Reed. How can it be that he's one day shy of one year old?

I laughed and laughed at the spiralling stairs and Aloes. never fails that you guys can make me chuckle. I am not a fan of Ikea, however, though the potting benches look like a serviceable score.

Congrats to Denise on Mitch's internship at the Getty. I recall a Victory Garden episode that visited the gardens there and was entranced. I never cease to be amazed by the creativity of our fellow man. My own tastes tend to the more traditional, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the grace and elegance typified in "modern" architecture/furniture. Good lines know no limitation.

As usual, the photos have been great. I did manage a few of the Papaver before the gloom settled over the compound but will wait until the card is fuller before disgorgeing its contents to the memory of my ageing machine.

Time to thread up the Juki and wrap up the side panels. Thanks for the fun diversion.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Well Im enjoying this cloudy/gloomy weather because its 64 degrees out, very comfortable temps and no hot sun so I can garden and move things about to my hearts content. Im supposed to be working but it was so darned good for garden work that I canned the business stuff until tomorrow.

Yesterday Doug and I met Sue at Monique and Les and we had such a fabu time. I have to tell you all that if ever you even have a small chance you MUST make the time to get to see their gardens. They are amazing! I feel like Ive just scratched the surface of what can be done when I see their place. (truth be told their gardens make me feel a bit inadequate, LOL) We enjoyed lovely appetizers of shrimp cocktails and fancy jumbo olives with our beverages of choice. Dinner was a tossed salad and a lobster citrus dish that was over the moon delicious! The lobster was boiled with grapefruit juice to give the lobster meat the citrus flavor. Then the lobster is shelled and put in a casserole dish with orzo and a very light citrus sauce with fresh lemon zest. Incredible!!!! Im salivating just thinking about it. Im going to have to give that one a whirl. Then for dessert Monique spoiled us with balls of strawberry ice cream on a chocolate cookie with a fresh coating of dark chocolate with fresh, local farm grown strawberries on the side. Yum!

Michelle, so sorry about the move. I know thats going to be hard on you and Kenzie.

Denise, fantastic about Mitch and the internship! How fabulous! Congratulations!

Cindy, I ROTFLOL over your flaming gaze!!!!! I like the concept of a mobile flamethrower as a method of juvenile crowd control.

Saucy, thanks for sharing all your bee keeping information and photos. Its fascinating and Im enjoying it tremendously.

Bug, looks like miss Arabella to me.

V. love the succulents. How on earth do you have a Thomas Edison blooming already?

Waving hello to all, Ive got to get back outside and get some more work done. Check out the photo gallery from our visit to Monique and Les yesterday
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Monique! So much has changed in your gardens. I'm so pleased that clematis are part of the newer look. Your choices are lovely!

Yes indeed Deanne, Arabella it is.

Chelone, you can tell that you have not sent kids off to college. Ikea is (nearly) a necessity, like tuition.

Here, sun and storms alternating. I'm supposed to be cleaning house for Book Club dinner here tomorrow evening. It is a tedious boring task. I've done dishes, I'm on my 3rd load of laundry, threw away old t-shirts that were taking up space, played with Miss Phoebe, mowed a bit more.... The weeds outside are calling my name...much more important than dusting and vacuuming. Besides, housework is dangerous. Perhaps DH will do that tonight.

So nice to hear from Eden again. I hope things are going OK on the family front. Would love to see the gardens of your DDs.

Although Reed is off on holidays, here is a recent reminder of him as an assistant gardener:
    {{gwi:163025}}

And here, the fringe tree in bloom:
    {{gwi:163026}}

And here, although I don't care for red in the garden, are a big exception. These aquilegias are from seed sent by a special friend.:)
    {{gwi:163027}}

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Hail. Now who needed that the day before garden people visit? Or ever!
    Sheesh.
    And 2 minutes later, sunshine and birdsong.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Monique and Les., I am just blown away by your garden! And a tip of my cap to Deanne for providing the delightful tour, too. The individual plants are magnificent, but for ME, the most arresting aspect is how you have turned a basic, "tract" lot into something with spirit, imagination, and a sense of rhythm. I have been to your home and have a sense of the space, but your inventive and thoughtful use of the property convinces the visitor that it is larger than it really is. I stand in complete awe of that single aspect of your garden alone! I don't know if I've ever asked this, but how long have you been working on your property? how did you begin the process?

Ikea. Pottery Barn. Abode. You're right, 'bug., I've never known the necessity. I was, perhaps, the only kid who moved into her first apartment with an assortment of Victorian, Eastlake, quality reproduction Federal furniture. Mum was an auction/yard sale/junk shop junkie and I rode "shotgun" for all my formative years; which probably explains my ambivilence toward "the look". I can spot quality construction and nice lines under 100 coats of ugly paint and I have sevdral pieces in our home that I loaded into the trunk of my car because I saw their worth when others did not. For me, the thrill is returning a "find" to what it was meant to be. I understand that thrill is not there for many. ;)

Martie, I totally "blew you off" first time around and completely by accident. I'm glad you've come to a decision that makes you comfortable and will put an end to the trials and tribulations you've had to endure. That's really great news and it's nice to see you resurface. Exciting news about Kyle, too. You must be "proud as a peacock". :) I've meant to tell you how pretty the Park is. Waiting for things to attain good size and provide some "mass" in the landscape is hard, isn't it? But so very worth the wait.

We have some feeble sunshine now (thunderstorms forecast for later on), and I think the rest of the windowboxes are mostly together. To paint or not to paint... that is the question!

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Wow Monique and Les (and Deanne for capturing it beautifully!)! The garden is gorgeous and I'm sorry I missed it. The food sounds fabulous, too!

I want to know the name if The Park is getting renamed :) I always feel so much better after a decision is made in my head, and it sounds as though you do, too, Martie.

Cynthia, I forgot to answer you about my little "tree" - it's Cussonia Paniculata and I couldn't be happier. Do you know that he only charged me $14 for it, and I see it listed for a lot more everywhere else. He said he was happy that I got it....geez. Talk about pressure to keep it alive :) He has a massive one in the greenhouse (at least 7' tall).

I am about to get hit by one of those storms...I'd better get off here!

Saucy

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Les & Monique, your garden looks stunning. I feel like should be doing my imitation of Wayne and Garth, bowing and chanting, "I am not worthy, I am not worthy!"

Deanne, your photos are fabu-fabu; thanks to you for the time and effort in putting these up for us to view.

Martie & Denise, congrats to both of you for good news on your sons. OK, so that is confusing because Denise is married to Marty.

Deanne, I will confess to a little cheating on the D. 'Thomas Edison'. I bought a greenhouse-raised plant, which is why it's already budding & blooming. The bud count on this plant is amazing.

You know it's time for bed when you doing the following: 1. note the obit for a business associate's mother, 2. email obit to work email so you will remember to forward it to others in the morning, 3. open work email for other reasons and think, "Oh! someone's already sent out the obit."

TTFN,

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

So I have officially reserved my luxurious digs for IU5. Im stoked ! Now I have to prepare my humidity wardrobe which I will have to drag out again when I travel to Chicago in August. I figured if I buy no more plants between now and IU5 , it will pay for 72.5% of my hotel stay . Think I have the strength of character ? We shall see.

Weather is mild and pleasant here, and Today was busy but not horrible at work a positive note.

Deanne, wonderful link to Les and Moniques f-f garden. What Clematis !

Martie, I was starting to wonder where you had got off to ! I too ask for the Parks new moniker, and pics to support your statements of amazing-ness ! Kudos to Kyle and Im glad to hear that you have made your move re: female health issue. Would that we could all come and lay horticultural gifts at your feet for the recovery periodMaybe you should come to IU5 as a pre-op swan song ???

Cindy, Im sure you feel as good as I do about the garden clean-up chores this weekend. Things look so sad after a heat wave, but a little creative pruning and some time works wonders. I think in my area that new growth after the first hot days meltdown always seems to withstand the high temps better going forward. We have the added challenege here of no rain now till maybe November and in another 30days things will start to take on that grey-brown medit look. We often experience a summer dormancy period when things just shut down for a month or so.

Wondering where PM had gotten to these last few days? Norma too.

OK, waving to allsee you on the morrow.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Will one of the left coasters please explain the "marine layer" to me? It was mentioned repeatedly during the golf tournament over the weekend. I wonder if it's your version of the "sea turn" we get here when the land heats up and the rising warm air pulls the cool layer over the water back over the land to cool everything down about 10 degrees in 10 minutes?

Need to get moving early today, and maybe sqeeze in a little nap this afternoon in preparation for the Lakers-Celtics game to night. It should be another good one.

Very humid here this morning, I suspect thunderstorms in the offing and not much painting. :(

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Reed the Gardener :) Pretty soon he'll be flossing with worms, just like Jake did!

I love the fringe tree! I want one....

Chelone, I'll bet your house is looking sharp!

I am enjoying our weather. It's cloudy and cool with high humidity and a little rain here and there - perfect for moving plants and allowing the lawn that Nick cut to short to recover....don't tell him I said that! Do all men think short grass is better grass? I like it long and green :)

While my bees are convenient for viewing, I'm finding this to be a problem. I am looking up every single move they make. Yesterday I was sure they were going to swarm and I fretted/worried/stood helplessly while I watched them do a tornado like dance in front of the hive! What on earth were they doing? I can't find an answer in my books. Can I share a photo that does not do justice to the number of bees that were in the air?
    {{gwi:163028}}

Up close and personal:
    {{gwi:163030}}

I'm off to walat in the garden before I mosey on up to the bus stop.

TTYL

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And what is so rare as a day in June?
    Then, if ever, come perfect days;
    Then Heaven tries earth if it be in tune,
    And over it softly her warm ear lays:
    Whether we look, or whether we listen,
    We hear life murmur, or see it glisten...
    (James Russell Lowell (1819-1891)

Good morning.... :-)

I have been reading bits and pieces but just feeling blah with little to say of much interest. Enjoying just reading along. The weather here was wet all day yesterday off and on and last night we had very loud thunderstorms that woke us up. Only about an inch and a half of rain though. This morning the sun is in and out and the air is cool and dry. No watering for me today!

Had a nice tour of Monique & Les's Garden. Such loveliness. The clematis were gorgeous. The green fish and matching pot tickled me. Great containers and that garden shed looks like a fun place to work. Must be a pleasure to get out there everyday and enjoy it. Thanks Deanne for posting the photos.

Gardenbug....sounds like your life has been quite busy. Busy is good though. :-) Sorry you are having a hard time getting in a visit with Grandsons and DD/DSIL. Quite a bit of weather you've been having too. Reed is getting big awfully fast!

Loving all the Clematis photos and I am thinking I could really enjoy starting to grow more of those. My problem is always trying to figure out structures for them to climb on. I don't know why that becomes such an obstacle to me, but it does.

Your Patty's Plum is gorgeous and looks quite different from one that was given to me as seed. I thought it was supposed to be an Oriental Poppy but it didn't look like it. Your foliage does look like one.

Woody...that Airedale puppy is so cute and looks like he is full of it.

V....Lovely benches...redwood?

Kathy....LOVE your 'Argentine Skies' Very pretty color. Reminds me of the way 'Black and Blue' grows. Do you find it attracts hummers? They would be annual here and not sure if I would even get much bloom until late in the season. I did buy the 'B&B' this year but so far it isn't doing much. We have only had one week of heat, so I am sure it will wait for more. Another orange/purple fan here. I LOVE your pottery with the fluted edge on the bottom.

Denise...that spiraling Aloe is amazing! Thanks for posting that. I think I missed the news that Mitch has a Getty internship. How exciting for all of you! Congratulations!

Saucy...the color of your house siding is a wonderful backdrop for your pots on the deck. Yes, I find that melancholy with transitions sticks with me for awhile. When my two youngest went off to kindergarden I was feeling it for a couple of months. Most of my friends were excited to see them finally get off to school. [g] Are you having a celebration for Jake next week? Is he excited about it?

Michelle....I feel for you. It is tough to be away from people you care about. You will have to visit a lot! :-) Also, I was noticing, that on our new Apple laptop there is a built in camera and software to video conference. I would figure a way to set something up so you can see and talk to each other every day if you want.

Anita...Glad your party went so well. Really nice when everything works out. One down, one to go. [g] Tax Law sounds like a very useful degree to have. I hope he is doing your taxes for you every year. :-)

Martie....nice to see you. :-) I had been wondering about you. Glad you are all set with your surgery decision. So when is the big day? Really looking forward to more Park photos. Great news about Kyle, will he be traveling a lot?

Well....time to get moving... y'all have a great Tuesday!

Anyone for a lawn ornament? [g]

{{gwi:163032}}

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good Morning,

What a beautiful day we are having here. 60s out currently going up to the mid 70s. They are predicting more thunder storms for later on today. Apparently some had golf ball sized hail yesterday with the storms that came through. Thank goodness we didnt get that here! Did I mention I bought another Brugmansia??? LOL, I found a double white at a nursery for a good price and absolutely could not resist. Te he.Im incurable.

Thanks everyone, so glad you enjoyed the photos of Monique and Les gardens.

V. I get the same "I am not worthy, I am not worthy" sentence chanting through my head every time I visit there. My gardens seem pale and boring by comparison. ~~ Ah Ha! I just knew youd have to have bought that TE already a good size to have that kind of bloom by now. I didnt get mine in near early enough and its going to be a long while before I have any flowers. I can only do so much and it appears Im maxed out so things like getting the dahlias planted in a timely manner slipped.

Kathy, Im so pleased we are finally going to get to meet you in person. Woohoo!!!!! ~~ You would have swooned to see those clematis in person. LOL

Martie, congratulations to Kyle! You must be so proud.

Saucy, love the continuing saga of the bees. So incredibly neat!

PM those green fish with the matching pot was just fantastic and one of my favorite vignettes they did. BTW, did you see the photo of us in that collection?

All righty, time to get to the gym, have a great day everyone.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

My friend who lived in East Africa for several years tells me that the scene of the flamingos is awe inspiring but very hard on the nose!

Today a workman comes soon, I have my first exercise class also. Book club dinner is at our place too. So lots going on.

Chelone, 'temperature inversion' is something we deal with here and affects sound from gravel pits...

Sauvy, GET A FRINGE TREE. Even if it is only a shrub, it blooms!

Thinking of a year ago today...

{{gwi:163034}}

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Storms blew thru here again yesterday and hopefully a lot of hot air (from people and things) has gone -- wow, in the 70s for the next few days - I am soooo tempted to call in sick one day so I could stay home and pot (only a gardener would know what kind of pot Im referrring to here, LOL, right?)....but I best save my time for the IU...

I agree that it looks from Deanne's vignettes that Les & Monique's gardens have changed a bunch -- thanks so much for taking the time to show us, Deanne - what a pleasure -- hope to see it in person some day - that would be such a treat.. I wonder if they change their "look" w/ pots & accessories every year? It struck me as different in tone - altho it could be just the things you photographed that were new. "Garden jewels"...

My dahlia TE is blooming - the one that has become perennial - I'll have to try to take some photos - just so I can say that early June it was blooming!

'bug - sorry to hear of your car woes - hope it can be fixed -- it's terrible to feel stranded after one has been given freedom w/ wheels.

Michelle - PM has a great idea re the video camera/computer and keeping in touch w/ Kenzie -- I guess it's great they sold their house in this kind of market, but you must feel so bittersweet about it all.

Chelone - I am with you on the old furniture altho I do think Ikea has a place as 'bug pointed out but not something you want longterm... I still cringe when I see stuff that's been painted over versus a wonderful old stain finish but it's nice to know people use old furniture -- I have a lot of it from my grandmother's house but doubt my DD will want it -- their tastes and interests are different - such is the passing of generation to generation.

Have a pet sitter coming for an interview tonite for Chloe's approval -- since DD moved into a no-pet condo last fall, our usual arrangements need to be re-vamped and Chloe gets no more sleepovers there which has been sad. But hopefully, this will work out great for future too.

--Cindy

• anitamo
    15 years ago

Happy 1st Birthday To Reed!!!

I, too, absolutely loved the pictures you put up, deanne, of Monique and Les' garden. Wow...stunning. I bookmarked it to study later.

My thoughts are with you martie and glad you are moving closer to the solution for your medical woes.

I've got the kids today, so no time to write yet. Have a warm day with a cool breeze.

Anita

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Happy 1st Birthday to Reed!

The weather here is the open window kind - I love it!

Father's Day weekend was a whirlwind with Kenzie staying over on Friday night, dinner out on Saturday with my parents, Kenzie and her mom and dad. Finally Rick's kids and grandkids over on Sunday. We spent a beautiful afternoon on the game lawn with bocce ball, badmitton, football, soccer and softball all going on.

Saucy, how fun that you have a piece of my pelargonium. I'm enjoying the bee pictures immensely.

Congratulations to all who are graduating and moving on to great things. As parents you have a right to be proud.

Cindy, I will probably get a webcam as I know they already have one.

Deanne, thanks for including us in the garden tour at Les and Monique's. The garden is stunning. Although, yours is too you know. Its neat how we all have our own style.

The flamingos are amazing. They remind me of the garden ornaments that Kenzie twisted grandma's arm to have for her garden. Both are whirly gig type. Maybe they will keep the rabbits and deer out ;o)

I think I'll spend the 2nd 1/2 of my lunch hour taking a walk.

Later
    Michelle

• chelone
    15 years ago

A fine, happy birthday to Reed. I'll bet his inseam is now pushing 14"... he's getting so big.

Those of us who work in the needle trades are a fiercely loyal lot. We tend to be "brand loyal" and we tend to be VERY loyal to our preferred mechanics. I have worked with 2 (count 'em!) mechanics in the nearly 30 yrs. I've been working with commercial sewing machines. While much of my equipment was purchased "used" in the '80s when shops were "droppin' like flies" I had the same guy work on them (when the 1st. one retired I began using his "heir"). When I purchased my new Juki I bought it from the "heir". And whenever I have a problem with any of my machinery he either walks me through the adjustment/repair over the 'phone or MAKES time to fix it whenever I call. OK, so today a friend called and asked me to come look at a machine. The problem was beyond my expertise and I asked if the mechanic had been called. No. Apparently, my friend used a variety of mechanics (they all know each other and those of us who work in the trade, duh) and was uncomfortable calling someone because of that. DUH. The upshot is, he had to call someone (eat some crow and do some grovelling) and he's going to use my shop to complete his order tomorrow. He is going to have his first encounter with a fully automatic, electronic sewing machine, too. (LOL). I have adjusted it for his work, using the sample he provided. I have laid out the owner's/operator's manuals (there are 5), and all the necessary items he'll need (bobbins, needles, tools, etc.). And plenty of scrap fabric, so he'll be able to "practice" using the treadle to control the machine's ability to stop, start, lift/drop the presser foot, and backtack and cut the threads. I wish I had a camera to capture it all because I know he is going to be stunned by it all. ;)

Rex is having his post op. reX-rays this afternoon. I'm more nervous than I was the first time around. I know this surgery showed more damage to the leg than was evident on the first one, but the lameness he showed a week-week and half ago freaked me out. Aspirin seemed to help a good deal, but I'm still nervous. :(

We hired the talented young arborist to remove "the sword of Damocles", an offending maple branch that would threaten the proposed shrub border. Affectionately referred to as, "Tree Boy" he took care of it and then moved on to another tree that was victim to viscious winds earlier this spring. We now have yet more coHdwood to address. But we'll be able to plant the shrub border with confidence! A funny aside is that the Grey Tree frogs have been trilling very loudly (I linked to them earlier in this Idyll, I think). Well... the sound of the chainsaw apparently urged them to trill more frequently and loudly. LOL, the helpmeet noticed it and said the chainsaw was "big medicine" and the little guys were rising to the occasion. Too funny. And he was right!

It's "black as Egypt's night" outside right now. I have to wrap this baby up and get the hell off-line. Yikes!