Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Clematis Clematis Clematis

gardenbug
14 years ago

At 7:30am I took photos rather than eat breakfast before our meeting. Sure enough, it rained....:)

So here is the update on the arbor, all neat & tidy before the weeds return:

{{gwi:163136}}

Growing and in bloom so far are...

Blue Rain

{{gwi:163138}}

Hagelby Pink

{{gwi:163139}}

Fukuzono

{{gwi:163140}}

and Hendryetta.

{{gwi:163141}}

In various places in the vegetable garden you might see the following:

White baptisia

{{gwi:163142}}

This pink mystery clematis

{{gwi:163143}}

Clematis Sizaia Ptitsa

{{gwi:163145}}This rose, perhaps 'Felicia'.

{{gwi:163146}}

Then, around the border of the fence these clematis are blooming.

Pagoda

{{gwi:163147}}

Aotearoa

{{gwi:163148}}

Blue Pirouette

{{gwi:163149}}

Fascination

{{gwi:163150}}

Ianthina, just beginning.

{{gwi:163152}}

Hagly's Hybrid

{{gwi:163154}}

In other places on the property you'll find these:

Andante

Odoriba

Pamjat Serdsta

Delphiniums (DH snuck into the background)

Alionushka

And now the sun is back again and I have Julie Jobs to do! Hope your shoes didn't get wet while strolling about.

'bug

Comments (12)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Beautiful Marie! And not a weed in sight! :-) I love your collection of Clematis and they seem to be having a good year. All the foliage is so pristine. Andante is another I should add to my list. Fascination is full of blooms.What is in front of the white baptisia, some sort of shrub? Have you had to provide any kind of netting for the clematis to climb and cling? Your Delphiniums are such a pretty color. Thanks for the tour!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

The veggie garden - that path and arbour in particular - is fabulous! It looks like the vines should be starting to cover the 'ceiling' soon...? I like the dark purple Aotearoa best of those ones. For some reason, when it comes to clematis, it's the intensely colored ones I like best. That's odd in a way because many of my other flower preferences are pastel shades. I don't have any of the bell shaped clematis. I need to broaden my scope and acquire some of those. What is your favorite/recommendation?

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Oh Marie, tres magnifique ! Can't even choose a fave, they are all beautiful. And what agreat job you did on your weeding and mulching project- excellent results I must say.. and those Delphs, swoon , swoon , swoon -get me some smelling salts..

Feet stayed dry-I was wearing my Muck Boots!

Looking forward to the next installment..

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

It is all beautiful Marie...great job! Your white baptisia is a differant variety than the ones that grow wild here.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

PM, there is chicken wire on each section of the arbor. Not all of the plants are climbers though, so there is string tying several plants up. On the fence behind the baptisia is clematis Blue Belle.

Woody, I really like Pagoda. And Blue Boy too. And a ton of others too obviously!

Aotearoa is a really strong grower for me too. You might give it a try if you find one. I know Lost Horizons had it at one point. Maybe worth a call to them to see if they'd put one of these 3 plants aside for you. They were all a tangled mess when I was last there.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Marie, Love that arbor and your hard work shows. Fascination is my favorite clem in this group. The edges on it make it really stand out. Everything is so fresh looking.

• dawiff
    14 years ago

Oh my, what a wonderful collection of clems! Where on earth did you get so many unusual, tubular/bell-shaped ones? My fave is the last, Alionushka. I went to a plant swap yesterday, and picked up a tubulosa, which I've never grown before.

Thanks for the lovely photos!

• flowerluvr
    14 years ago

Marie, it was a perfect evening for a stroll around your place. The pictures are wonderful, and I love the arbor. Thanks for a peaceful WALAT :)
    Brenda

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Your arbor is really quite fabulous. Everything looks so tidy in the vegetable garden and I know what a task that is. I think of this group I like Alionushka the best. It looks like a dancer's skirt. Although, the mystery pink one looks cool with the stems appearing pinkish as well.

Thanks for the tour.

Michelle

• chelone
    14 years ago

I feel so inadequate. ;)

But so what? it's all so beautiful, 'bug! How many varieties do you have now?

• deanneart
    14 years ago

How fabulous Bug!!!! You have a stupendous collection of clematis. Your gardens are looking wonderful this year.

Deanne

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Glorious, Marie -- I have longed for that Aotearoa but it's been sold out whenever I've gone to order it -- they are all so lovely -- your baptisia seems to bloom a long time or is that differant cultivar than one you showed a couple weeks ago?

-Cindy