Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis Clematis Clematis

Posted by gardenbug Canada zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 16:39

At 7:30am I took photos rather than eat breakfast before our meeting. Sure enough, it rained....:)

So here is the update on the arbor, all neat & tidy before the weeds return:

Growing and in bloom so far are...
Blue Rain

Hagelby Pink

Fukuzono

and Hendryetta.

In various places in the vegetable garden you might see the following:

White baptisia

This pink mystery clematis

Clematis Sizaia Ptitsa
This rose, perhaps 'Felicia'.

Then, around the border of the fence these clematis are blooming.

Pagoda

Aotearoa

Blue Pirouette

Fascination

Ianthina, just beginning.

Hagly's Hybrid

In other places on the property you'll find these:

Andante

Odoriba

Pamjat Serdsta

Delphiniums (DH snuck into the background)

Alionushka

And now the sun is back again and I have Julie Jobs to do! Hope your shoes didn't get wet while strolling about.
'bug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis Clematis Clematis

Beautiful Marie! And not a weed in sight! :-) I love your collection of Clematis and they seem to be having a good year. All the foliage is so pristine. Andante is another I should add to my list. Fascination is full of blooms.What is in front of the white baptisia, some sort of shrub? Have you had to provide any kind of netting for the clematis to climb and cling? Your Delphiniums are such a pretty color. Thanks for the tour!

o

The veggie garden - that path and arbour in particular - is fabulous! It looks like the vines should be starting to cover the 'ceiling' soon...? I like the dark purple Aotearoa best of those ones. For some reason, when it comes to clematis, it's the intensely colored ones I like best. That's odd in a way because many of my other flower preferences are pastel shades. I don't have any of the bell shaped clematis. I need to broaden my scope and acquire some of those. What is your favorite/recommendation?

o

Oh Marie, tres magnifique ! Can't even choose a fave, they are all beautiful. And what agreat job you did on your weeding and mulching project- excellent results I must say.. and those Delphs, swoon , swoon , swoon -get me some smelling salts..

Feet stayed dry-I was wearing my Muck Boots!

Looking forward to the next installment..

Kathy in Napa

o

It is all beautiful Marie...great job! Your white baptisia is a differant variety than the ones that grow wild here.

o

PM, there is chicken wire on each section of the arbor. Not all of the plants are climbers though, so there is string tying several plants up. On the fence behind the baptisia is clematis Blue Belle.

Woody, I really like Pagoda. And Blue Boy too. And a ton of others too obviously!

Aotearoa is a really strong grower for me too. You might give it a try if you find one. I know Lost Horizons had it at one point. Maybe worth a call to them to see if they'd put one of these 3 plants aside for you. They were all a tangled mess when I was last there.

o

Marie, Love that arbor and your hard work shows. Fascination is my favorite clem in this group. The edges on it make it really stand out. Everything is so fresh looking.

o

Oh my, what a wonderful collection of clems! Where on earth did you get so many unusual, tubular/bell-shaped ones? My fave is the last, Alionushka. I went to a plant swap yesterday, and picked up a tubulosa, which I've never grown before.

Thanks for the lovely photos!

o

Marie, it was a perfect evening for a stroll around your place. The pictures are wonderful, and I love the arbor. Thanks for a peaceful WALAT :)
Brenda

o

Your arbor is really quite fabulous. Everything looks so tidy in the vegetable garden and I know what a task that is. I think of this group I like Alionushka the best. It looks like a dancer's skirt. Although, the mystery pink one looks cool with the stems appearing pinkish as well.

Thanks for the tour.

Michelle

o

I feel so inadequate. ;)

But so what? it's all so beautiful, 'bug! How many varieties do you have now?

o

How fabulous Bug!!!! You have a stupendous collection of clematis. Your gardens are looking wonderful this year.

Deanne

o

Glorious, Marie -- I have longed for that Aotearoa but it's been sold out whenever I've gone to order it -- they are all so lovely -- your baptisia seems to bloom a long time or is that differant cultivar than one you showed a couple weeks ago?

-Cindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here