Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Building a Playground

gardenbug
13 years ago

This follows the progress of the playground being built by family and friends in honor of our grandson who passed away in 2008.

Rather than a large detailed ship, the plan evolved into being the illusion of a Pirate Ship with lots of incorporated play areas.

This area was heavily used during this year's Fair, and we are ever so pleased with the outcome to date. The result of this single project has been to turn the Fair into a family activity. The best part is seeing it used!

{{gwi:163171}}

{{gwi:163172}}

{{gwi:163174}}

{{gwi:163177}}

{{gwi:163179}}

{{gwi:163181}}

{{gwi:163183}}

{{gwi:163185}}

And here are some of the cast of characters:

{{gwi:163289}}

{{gwi:163291}}

{{gwi:163292}}

{{gwi:163293}}

{{gwi:163294}}

{{gwi:163295}}

{{gwi:163296}}

Comments (15)

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Ahoy Mateys! What a lovely tribute to a special little guy. I am so glad they are making the vision such a wonderful reality for Reed and all of you.

• missalice
    13 years ago

Wouldn't Reed have had a blast playing on that fantastic playground! It is wonderful so many other kids will get to enjoy in his memory. Love the pictures of Ivy and Skyler. Is Skyler playing the drums on "The Reed"? Cool. What a great way to remember a little boy who was loved by so many.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

What a grand way to share the joy that was Reed! Looks like a marvelous time was had by all and what fun to see the growing family looking so radiant!

I am sure it will be a favorite destination for all the wee ones. Thanks for sharing with us. Can you feel the smiles?

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

What a creative thing to do - love the pirate ship! (and the pictures of everyone enjoying themselves...)

• candy_j
    13 years ago

The pirate ship was a great choice for a playground in honor of Reed. Many must have donated their time and effort for this uplifting memorial!

• deanneart
    13 years ago

How fantastic, great photo story Bug.
    Deanne

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

How great to see the Reed playground project, and to see it being used and enjoyed. It's a wonderful memorial for him. I love seeing the family enjoying the fair. thanks for sharing. Norma

• Lara Noles
    13 years ago

Marie, what better memorial to Reed than this wonderful playground that must ring out with the sounds of the laughter of little children. Great family pictures too. Ivy's expressions always look like there's alot going on in that cute little head of hers. I think she's got them all figured out, lol. What a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing them with us.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

From DD:
    We still have much that we would like to continue with. We want to add port holes to crawl in and out of, and finish the back of the ship.

In other things, we hope to add a small "amphitheatre" around the stage (that we also fixed up  sorry no picture) and is now called "The Reed") which will double as a small hill for kids to roll down and play on. We want to plant some native shrubs around the area to act as natural boundaries and walkways for Hide and Seek type games. WeÂd also like to add some other things like building a sundial (where you stand in the middle and your shadow tells the time).

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

The pirate ship is fabulous! What a wonderful tribute. Your DD has some other great ideas too. Its nice to see them enjoying spending time together as a family. The picture of Ivy in the dandy-lions is one that should be framed.

• chelone
    13 years ago

I just love that such a positive, hopeful, creative, and FUN thing has come from something that could so very easily have gone in a very dark direction.

It takes guts to make the decision to change course and keep checking the headings to stay on that course. A great toy requires only imagination.

:)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found this on the web Chelone...and it shows a bit of what you say I think...

"This project has given Sarah and I and I suppose many others a wonderful way to celebrate, commemorate and to remember our little Lion. Every year within a week of Reed's birthday (he was born on Father's day, 2007) we will be able to celebrate with the laughter of children, the delights of children's musicians and artists as they gather around The Reed Family Stage and Area to be joyfully entertained. We all thank you for your Love and Support. Thank you, thank you who have contributed and who have supported us. Thank you God for allowing us to Love our Families and friends again today." -Wayne

• mbentley
    13 years ago

Wow, what a great tribute. Very cool and moving!!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In mid March 2011, Wayne began paternity leave, caring for Skyler, Ivy and Leo while DD returned to work. One of his first declarations of 'liberty' from his job was to bring out the paints and plan this summer's additions to the play area....

{{gwi:163299}}

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

"Bug, Wayne has some great plans for the playground, and a lot of artistic talent too! Such a nice way to remember Reed, and the fact that it is always evolving gives them something to look forward to each year. Thanks for sharing the plans

Drema