Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

A few saturday afternoon photos

gardenbug
14 years ago

It is lovely out but they say rain, so I tried to get quite a few things done around here.

Here is the weeding & edging around the vegetable garden that I've started. It is mulched here. Now 3 sides remain. :(

{{gwi:163495}}

While I was potting things up, this little guy came to check out foxgloves, so I took his portrait for Saucy.

{{gwi:163497}}

Thern I took some photos before rain knocks everything down!

This is peony Claire de Lune, an early to open one.

{{gwi:163499}}

Centaurea Amethyst in Snow is in bad need of dividing. Here's a close up:

{{gwi:148846}}

Unlike Michelle's, my dictamnus is white:

{{gwi:163501}}

Then of course afew clematis:

Omoshiro

{{gwi:163503}}

Dawn

{{gwi:163505}}

Joe Zary

{{gwi:163507}}

And finally, I was hoping Deanne could tell me whether or not I should keep my orchid outdoors in a shady spot during the summer? I'd really like to have it bloom again next year, so any advice would be great! I guess I should fertilize it periodically.

{{gwi:163508}}
{{gwi:163509}}

'bug

Comments (10)

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Bug, I just love your garden fence, and the nice clean edge really sets it off. The clems look so healthy.

I think I must get a Claire de Lune.

Norma

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

All your hard work has paid off. I love a clean freshly mulched edge like that! Looks like a perfect day and all your photos are so cheerful!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Marie, seems true that no matter what else is going on in the garden the 'clean edge' makes it all look better ! C. Amethyst is one I have pondered many times. Your Clems are f-f as always !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

What a lovely place you have, 'bug! I love "Amethyst" , too. Wish you lived nearby and I could assist you with the division. ;) then you could help me with edgeing!

Love the bee shot, too. Funny, whenever I watch bees doing their "thing" I always think of Saucy, too!

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

The edge is certainly worth the effort. I must get at that soon. My favorite is the Joe Zary - very cool. One of my dictamnus was supposed to be white, instead I now have 3 pink.

Michelle

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Of all the nice things in your garden, I think the veggie garden fence - and it's clematis residents - are the best part! Nicely set off by the edging job.....

Where do you get the single peonies? I love them but haven't been able to find many. I did buy one last year - from Gardenimport I think and I have some that sprouted from the roots of tree peonies. But I'd reall like to add lots more. I guess I should do some searching on the web but if you have a source, let me know what it is!

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Bug, your veggie garden looks huge. How big is it? Do you can or freeze? That edge is impressive. I am not a good edger. Actually, I don't think I am an edger at all, but it sure does look nice. And your clematis! Wow. I have 4 only, and so far this year I have three that have bloomed. But nothing like yours. I am talking one flower:) But I was excited about that one little flower.... :)

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

What a nice straight edge! I agree, edging sure does make things look better.
    I love that Claire De lune, my favorite type of peony.

Joe Zary is a very interesting and pretty clematis.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Your crisp edging makes a world of difference - it makes it look so pristine -- no time or energy for me to do, LOL -- Im quite impressed with your vim and vigor, 'bug! I bet your clem garden is going to be amazing this year - can't wait to see them all when you can take more photos.

cindy

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Echoing others I love the Joe Zary! And you do have the coolest veggie garden Marie! There's nothing like a crisp edging for a bed. Makes all the difference in the world! Beautiful as always!

Eden