Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Idyll # 443 Summer is growing

An appropriate follow-up to the last Idyll's title I think - Anita said that one was inspired by the quote from French poetry and the entire line was 'I live in the tranquility of leaves, summer is growing.'

Comments (102)

• chloehoover
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How lovely to get that kind of call from a school ofc, Mary, LOL -- not surprising to us who have heard of his recovery though - he's a tough but kind young man....

Denise - I didnt have time yesterday to remark about the cool retooling of that stand - Im sure no one would guess it and it is so neat looking - succulents seem a wonderful idea -- vertical gardening is so "in" too these days, LOL.... of course, Im insanely jealous of that agave attenuata in the birthday pic and your other photos -- Im such a sucker for mediterranean grey foliages too but like lavendar they languish and die for me. Especially this year they would have all drowned by now.... we continue to get more rain... incredible. And the mosquitos are out in force - I seem to have picked up 2 weird bites on my back of all places ...

Welcome back, Norma -- glad you had a great reunion. It is a gardener's routine to always be behind, I think...

Kathy, - congrats on the staycation! Im jealous - always want more time off and sounds like you have lots of fun things planned along with the garden work stuff... Wow, those lavendars are fantastic.

Martie - also congrats on the job reward - glad to hear they dole those out for your hard work - it's nice to get positive reinforcement wherever you can get it too but especially in the work place.

Glad you like the blog that talks about the Trudi Temple garden -- it was such a wonderful place and I found it really intriguing to see it a few years later and in another season -- she is an amazing woman and gardener.

Happy Friday all.

--cindy

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Daily morning walk....

{{gwi:163703}}

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Deanne - I got curious and found the article about the caladiums - it was in a recent Garden Design mag "Caladium Crazy" - at first I thought that one you've got might be "Gingerland" they mention in the article but I think not; then I got "curiouser" and read about the U. of Fla being into a breeding program for these fancy new caladiums... it just went from there... if you google images for "Caladium Miss Muffett" do you think that's the one you've got in the cool container? It seems to have the faint yellow coloring along w/ the spots (kind of makes it sound like a disease doesnt it, LOL)... okay, detective work over for me now....

--Cindy

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Marian - your daily walk looks green and lovely. I can't identify the animals - they look like dogs but I guess they are you kitties?

DH is still suffereing from his cold. A friend sent this and I have been laughing about it to myself all day. DH didn't seem to find it as funny. Do I have a really poor sense of humor or am I just a bad wife?

Mary

PS In England we dial 999 instead of 911, and Lemsip is the equivalent of Theraflu.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Officially on Staycation. Lots of stuff going on around the Kathy house tonite , so a brief post

Martie, I wish I could do an ID for you, but the two lavs in the pic have been moved a multitude of times and the tags are long gone. This was before I had my bag-tag system The one in the foreground is a fave- it has silver foliage , abd has not as of yet developed woodiness. I will get a better pic for you this week.

PM, I will post my list after I actually buy something ! My other Nikon is a SLR (D60) and the lowest price I saw around for a new unit was in the 700$ range. I got mine for 399, and I think it was from Adorama. I got my Coolpix from Camera World I think for 60 bucks. I did both of these through EBAY. If you go to EBay and search for reconditioned cameras you will get lots of results. I think both of them came with a 90 day warranty. There are many very reputable camera dealers there.

Martie, I hope we can rendevous at some point during IU ! I will have an extended stay in NE .

Mary, how nice that David was recognized. You must be so proud of him !

Marian, I LOVE that photo-it really is a story in a way ..

Ok, need to skedaddle

Waving.

Kathy in Napa

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Sue! I hope you had a wonderful time spreading the mulch. Can't imagine a better birthday!
    I hope you like this coleus I found this year.
    Drema

{{gwi:163704}}

Woody, sounds like you and Randy are having fun together since his retirement.

Bug, love the name and the sweater. I am trying to get my three Clematis to grow. I need a class.

Deanne, your garden containers are absolutely gorgeous. Wow.

Chelone, I loved that picture of Wrecks in the water, he looked so much like a guy, you know?

Mary, glad that you were able to finally get some answers and that they were good one! Crossing my fingers for you, and congrats to David.

Well, I am heading to bed, I want to get up really early tommorrow. I switched to Photobucket, and hope I can get it to work this time:)

Nite all!!

Drema

• chelone
    14 years ago

OK, I'm sort of "caught up", having been appropriately dazzled by the contained vegetative confections of Deanne and Denise, the itty-bitty sweater whose colors remind me of watermelon for some reason, and laughing aloud at the "man cold". What a nice way to begin Saturday!

I can think of no better lasting memorial to brave merchant seamen than reusing the wreath stands. Like so many of you, I love and admire the inventiveness and ingenuity demonstrated by "repurposing" such useful items. Life IS for the living, after all. And so it is with playgrounds and pirate ships that foster imagination, exercise, and will forever ply the seas of creative play. What nice things to contemplate on a quiet, cloudy, "day off" morning; renews hope in the power of the future. :)

Marian, your insistant messages via FB have dwindeled to a trickle and I will continue to "blow you off" with impunity. As I said, nothing has shown up on the multitude of scans performed here, but I'll lift my pirate eye patch and focus two eyes with renewed vigilence. I love the shot of Nolon sauntering down the lane trailed by two kitties. It reminds me of my father and of the helpmeet, too. Seems wherever and whenever we're out and about on the Compound the kitties are never far behind. I just love that!

Alterations customers visit the Lab., PM, as it's more private and there is an excellent mirror on the wall in there. I'm reserving the Salon for large projects right now. I would like to have the machinery contained in the Salon as it's nice to have them all in one area and they do rather present a decorating challenge in a room that I dearly want to put to new use. ;)

I smiled at Saucy's eyes trying to avoid the junk. Boy, do I ever "get" that one! One of the things I would very much like to do is repurpose a large pc. of concrete "pipe" that's about 3' in diameter into a garden pool of some sort. When I figure out the particulars (not inconsequential, lol) you will be the artist I commission to come up with a leaf casting to act as a spillway for water. I can't get that elephant ear casting out of my mind, you know! Um, so how's the deck staining and the garage painting coming along? ;)

I have to get going on my routine chores. There are windowboxes to water, laundry to sort and start, a galley to be "sanitized for our protection", and some other assorted tasks. I've noted, with some dismay, a few flattened Impatiens in the northern windowboxes, clear evidence that one or more of the pride has been lounging atop them. Or maybe I'm the owner of a new "groundcover" Impatiens variety?

Which reminds me that I'm another one amazed by the "night shift". I love that there is a whole "'nother world" that begins as twilight steals over the Compound and the residents are all snug in their home. And Deanne, this is definitely the time of year when rounding up the pride presents a challenge. I know exactly what you're up against. There is the little trill from a happy kitty and then the little bas-ard zips ahead, just out of reach, rolls and then scampers off into the darkness. Ahhh yes, it's all to familiar. :)

OK, time to get to work and remember all the things I wanted to comment on but didn't.

Like Mary's success with HR and recognition of "number one son"...

;)

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I lost a post from early this morning....must've forgot to submit!

Chelone, I've already pulled a forsythia and am in the process of hooking up the pressure washer....the deck is getting done! I'm going on garden tours today, too :) from 10-4 and then back to stain the deck if it's dry....

Better get to work! A big wave to all....

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

For Chelone LOL! Both a baby AND dogs!

{{gwi:163705}}

And here is smiley girl
    {{gwi:163706}}

I too enjoyed the kitty parade led by Nolon.
    These days Phoebe is walked entirely on her leash. Just too many baby critters out there...and she knows it!

And now off to get some garden things done before rain arrives later in the day.

OK Eden, your turn to post baby shots now. :)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

PM, I wonder about the light situation for your hosta. Is it getting too much? Google says FULL SHADE. It also says the leaf color changes throughout the season.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Wretched creatures, all! no wonder Sue's abandonned me. :)

Ivy looks really different one month on. She's got a lot of learning to pack into the coming years, and she's clearly "right on top of it".

Hurry up Eden, let's get it over, OK?

Time to hang load number one and water the front windowboxes.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good morning....

In for a rest. We have been provided perfect weather to finish leveling and mulching the vegetable area along the new rock edge border and have been working on it for a few hours already. Taking a break while DH makes a run to Lowe's for more Landscape Pins. Determined my head will not hit the pillow tonight until that whole area is mulched. [g]

Have the new HD TV hooked up and operating. That was yesterday's project. My eyes are crossing from watching so much TV...lol. Dazzling in some instances, disappointing in others. Haven't worked out the captions yet, which I use all the time, but haven't cracked the manual either. The camera is on the back burner for the weekend.

Marie, thanks for that link to the Fire Island. I had it in almost full shade last year and thought the color was not as light as I wanted it and I thought I read it was lighter with more sun and I moved it over where it does get a couple of hours of direct sun. Guess I got that wrong. Time to move it again. Thanks. :-)

Glad to hear happy news from your house again Mary! :-) Had a good laugh over the Man Cold link....where is DH's sense of humor? [g]

Marian, your photo reminded me of that song, 'Country Roads'....see the link below.

I imagine Kathy woke up with a wonderful feeling of freedom this morning. Thanks Kathy for the info on your camera. Next week, I am going to have to look into it. I forgot you have the D60. I wonder if you use your Coolpic at all any more. [g]

Sweet little Ivy looks so happy!

Wondering how Julie's DH is feeling and where Anita has gone to.

DH is back and I'm out the door again, before I stiffen up [g]....

pm2

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good Morning friends- it always takes me aback to read that one of you (namely PM in this instance) has been working in the garden for hours , as I am quaffing my 2nd cup of coffee and have yet to eat my granola ! Ill be heading off to Morningsun in another hour or so, and I will take my camera, as I recall they have a small display garden.

I lold at Chelones descrition of the new groundcover Impatiens that the felines have hybridized . Mine have not flattened the Nepeta yet but Im sure its only a matter of time.

Nice shot of the girls bug.

Off to breakfast

Back later

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I walked the dog a bit on the main road this morning because the traffic is about zero on a saturday morning. Then I staked 4 clematis and dug the straight edge of a second side of the veg garden. Now off to collect potting soil etc...
    DH's pace is so different from mine. He walked the dog, forgetting to use the leash of course, and Phoebe knocked off a second baby groundhog as a result. After taking the little thing to "death Island", DH managed to eat some breakfast and is back on the computer. To be fair, he has lots to do: an article to edit for our Green Party man and a sermon(!)to prepare on gravel extraction tomorrow for the Unitarian Church in the next town.

Later
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Very cute baby Ivy!

Sorry to disappoint (yeah right), no baby pics from me at the moment. I saw Kate Thursday and was asked to babysit for a couple of hours yesterday but had too many other things planned to accommodate. I may have pics of Miss Bella in her ballet costume for you all to peruse later though. I'm taking her to her dress rehearsal this afternoon, recital is tomorrow along with a family bbq so maybe some Kate pics then.

I went on a bit of a garden tour. There was a "French Fleamarket" set up in a beautiful garden that I toured hastily earlier this morning. Nice way to start the day along with a trip to the Farmer's Market.

Gotta run! Really busy day ahead!

Eden

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Bug, that is the most adorable picture! I just love it when they start smiling.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Thanks folks, I think she's quite amazing myself. (unbiased opinion!)

Today I collected things in town for potting up containers. While there I of course took in a visit with my knitting store lady and bought a little funky hat for Ivy. Then I went to another shop (it's a tourist town) and there was a guy selling fresh baked French specialties. He had made mostly sweet things, but he also was selling giant brioches! I've never seen them sold in North America, and these were still warm! So we shared one for lunch later on but only managed to eat half of it! It was about 10" wide! That was a real highlight for me!

After lunch I managed to pot up several containers. Many had lavender tones but this one is yellow & blue. I HAD to stick some ivy in it too.
    {{gwi:163707}}

Then I mowed and mowed and then took a few photos. I'll post those separately. ;)
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

DH and I look like the walking wounded at this hour, [g] but the vegetable area is completely mulched. We just have to finish a small edge along the rocks where our grass walkway is, maybe tomorrow. Thankfully, DS mowed the lawn yesterday. It's going to be an early night. Hope to see reports from all of you, tomorrow. Very pretty pot, Marie.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

An enjoyable day thus far, no need to rush anything with a week at leisure stretching out ahead of me. I took a few photos at the herb farm and will put them on a separate thread at some point this evening.
    Purchase list :

Shiso and Pesto Perpetuo Basils (for the basil grove) Perpetuo is a variegated , non-blooming form.

Dittany of Crete (2)
    Lavender Silver Edge" (variegated foliage)
    Hopflower Oregano
    1 Bay tree
    Scented geranium Staghorn Oak
    Euphorbia Glacier Blue similar to Tasmanian Tiger

Caryopteris Worster Gold

Chives

And another ornamental Oregano , but I seem to have picked up the only one on the flat without a tag.

I resisted even more scented geraniums. This grower always has a booth at our farmers market so I can both get my mystery oregano idd and pick up a couple more scented geraniums if I feel the urge.

I also have finished digging one of my lawn removal zones. I need to breack up the clods, pull out the remaining grass clumps and add compost-all of which I expect to do tommorow. The Ladys Mantle is the former edge. {{gwi:163708}}From Garden 2009

I have another area Im working on along the side of this bed , and another near my back fence.

Deanne had mentioned to me the benefits of hulled sunflower seeds for the birds, and Im sold. I basically have sunflower seed shell mulch under the birdfeeder. Its kind of expensive , but the trusty employee discount comes to the rescue so I should be able to swing it.

Another pic here, I dont think Ive posted these of my Iochroma -my 3rd- first two are deceased. This variety is supposedly hardy to 26 degrees, and if I much heavily and cover it Im thinking it should survive the winter. {{gwi:163709}}From Garden 2009
    {{gwi:163710}}From Garden 2009

Signing off ..
    Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Who could help but smile back at Ivy's smile.

I worked really hard in the gardens yesterday, so I was to worn out to accomplish much today. Moved a plant and trimmed back some things. Theres a lot of green out there right now. The early daylillies are just getting started, and a few clematis are blooming. The wild daisies are blooming. The potted annuals have been languishing from rain and coolness. Today was sunny and a bit windy.

Mary, How nice that David was reconized. Good to hear you finally got to talk to someone in HR. I have snails galore here. Red Betty and Henny Penny could feast. I was never brothered by them until the last two rainy years. Better than drought I guess.
    I'm not sure if they eat them but we have several crows here that are patroling the garden morning and evening. It's so funny to watch them stroll the pathways. Makes me think of the song Tennesee Bird Walk.
    I read that they are something like 90 percent carnivorious.

We had a big blacksnake that hung around here for several years. I called him Sneaky Snake. I could always tell when he was looking for a meal around the pond as frogs would be hitting the water all around the pond. Well the other day I kept smelling something dead near the bed around the electric pole. There is a bird house on the electric pole and I have some bird netting tacked up for a clematis to climb on. Aparrently Sneaky Snake was trying to get to the bird house and got himself tangled up in the bird netting and died. Must have happened while we were gone. I really didn't mind having him around as along as he didn't surprise me as I know he kept copperheads away.

Kathy are your Old Mexico zinnas small plants or large?

Pm, good to hear you are about to finish the rock border project. Sorry about your camera.

Denise and Martie good to hear from you gals.

I'm running out of steam already. More later. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Norma , the flowers on Old Mexico are small (like Profusion) but the plants are taller , a foot or so. I have placed them behind the edging plants..

Nice to see you !

Kathy in Napa

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Just a quick skim tonight.

Kathy, Deanne and Monique convinced me to use the hull free sunflower seed and what a difference. Well worth the added expense. No muss, no fuss!

OK I warned you. Here's Bella the ballerina...

{{gwi:163711}}

{{gwi:163712}}

{{gwi:163713}}

I promise I'll be back soon with a more substantial post. Things will calm down after tomorrow. Talk to you then!

Eden

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Shhhh, they're finally asleep. DH and I have DGC, Will and Maddy for an overnighter. Lots of energy, but what can I expect from 2 and 3 year olds. Tomorrow is my dad's birthday celebration. Should be about fifty gathered there, which is just the immediate family. LOL. I'll be wiped out by the evening, so no gardening on the agenda. I made sure to get the grass mowed last night, and did some more weeding. The oxalis is a never ending headache.

A coworker found two baby birds on the sidewalk outside the salon the other day. She heard them fall, but didn't see a nest. There is a huge pine right where they fell, but couldn't detect the nest. She called the nature center nearby, and they told her to bring them in if she wished. When she arrived, the said they were purple finches, and were on the rare side in these parts. They also said they would keep her abreast of their recovery. They were cute round little things, and I hope they're okay.

Woody...I like how you connected the two Idylls. I wonder how the rest of that poem goes? Summer is definitely growing, and like Norma said, there is a lot of green out there, to be replaced with lots of color when the flowers of summer start blooming. I picked up the new Horticulture mag.,and there is an article on Barbara Damrosch. Asked to explain her gardening philosophy, she says, "If you follow nature's processes, you can't go wrong."

PM...you sound so relieved to get the mulching done. How nice to have DS do the mowing. Sorry about your camera, that stinks. Not sure what to think about the hosta, but most likely it's getting too much sun. Finding that balance of sun and shade is tricky for any hosta. So I just put them all in a partly shaded area and hope for the best.

eden...Bella is the most adorable ballerina. That group shot just makes me smile. I love how they all have matching curls and bows.

bug...Ivy is too precious. I'm looking forward to seeing a pic with her wearing the newly knitted sweater. You do amazing work, really.

marian...Seeing the photo of Nolan and the kitties does make the song "Country Roads" come to mind. I love your kiwi vine, by the way. Forgot to mention it before.

Kathy...how the staycation coming along? Your gardens are juicy, and I'm just loving the photos. Hope you get done everything on your list, just don't forget to kick back with a beer and admire your handiwork.

chelone...once again I'm moved by your words.

Mary...Go David!!!

Hi to all,
    Anita

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Today is the first day of what the weather man calls "below normal temps and above normal precipitation" We really are dry here, so it will be good. The problem is its supposed to be all week.

Last night was quite nice so I planted more containers. Im actually watering these days which I normally dont do until at least August if at all.

We decided to go on a shopping trip. A few plants and a couple of shrubs tagged along home.

Kathy, have you grown Iochroma before? I picked one up for container use. Ive not used it before.

bug, little Ivy is looking quite alert these days. Nice in the container planting. You should have made it pink ;o) The sweater is adorable.

Eden, how adorable Bella is as a ballerina. My DD took ballet and other types of dance classes through high school. I believe her 2nd year was a sweet little outfit similar to Bellas. Hers looks like it could be used as a nice Sunday dress. DDs always were more the tutu type. Was the hair style requested by the instructor? DDs was a big stickler that all hair had to be up.

I picked up a dress with flowers and lady bugs on it for Kenzie while shopping. Shes in a dress wearing mood these days. You know princesses dont wear shorts.

Norma, Im wondering who untangled Sneaky Snake ewww.

Chelone, I have a similar piece of concrete pipe my thoughts lean toward a tunnel for the Secret garden or a large planter.

I must go, I started this post on Saturday morning and now its Sunday morning.

Good night, sleep tight. You east coasters probably are. Maybe Kathy and Denise are still awake with me. After all it is Saturday night.

Michelle

• chelone
    14 years ago

The coffee is nearing completion, the cats have been fed their breakfast and Rex has received last night's round of cat food that has been summarily rejected by the pride this morning. A real score for Mummy's little Pre-Wash; wouldn't want his coat to get harsh from lack of nutrients, would we?

I've noted with some concern Michelle's comment that the inclemency is supposed to last all week. I suspect that means we will be in line for our share of it, too. Which makes perfect sense since the poppies are beginning to open, as are the pink peonies. The german iris are looking nice this year, too. So far. Maybe I'll get the remaining unstaked peony done today? Anyway, I'm glad you're getting the needed precipitation, Michelle. No rain and a lot of wind is bad news.

Bellarina looks like Shirley Temple, Eden. I smiled when I saw the picture; if you tell me they danced to "The Good Ship Lollipop" I'l laugh out loud. Who is in charge of the costumes? are they studio property and "on loan" or will Bella be pirhouetting around the house in it for weeks to come? Somewhere in our possession is a family portrait series of my grandmother, my aunt, my uncle, and Mum. Mum is 3 or 4 and is dressed just like Bella (would have been c. 1930). Does Bella take swimming lessons yet?

I was so impressed by Saucy's organization with respect to pressure washing and setting things up to address the painting and the staining that I had to do some of the same thing yesterday! I mowed the lawns first thing and then decided it was time to address the deck canopy. The deck is 12'x18' and the canopy is larger since there is a gable end and a ridgepole on the framining. The ridgepole is 10/11' off the deck, so it's a pretty tall structure. It took some thought and some judicious "fanny folding" to get the canvas bundled for easiest placement, it weighs in the 30-40lb. range and is an awkward bundle. I hauled the 8' stepladder up the stairs and onto the deck, then did the same thing with the canvas. With the canvas on my shoulder I scaled the ladder and heaved the canvas over the ridgepole and began arranging the gable end and anchoring the western corners in place with cable ties. Then I began pulling the canvas back toward the house zipping the pockets around the rafters and securing the eastern corners with cable ties. I laced the gable end fairly snugly and did the sides loosely. Then I went up on the roof and laced the canopy on the eastern side, going back and tightening it as much as I was able. Off the roof, down the ladder and back to the gable end to tighten that down some more and then I worked the sides from the gable to the house tightening as I went. It took me a little over two hours and came out great, tight as a drum! that baby isn't going anywhere unless we get a tornado. Note to self: buy some leather gloves and don't use them in the garden since they'll have to be clean. Lacing can be hard on your hands! Anyway, the helpmeet didn't even notice but when it was pointed out to him he was suitably impressed by the physical effort required to accomplish the feat single handed. I was wearing my black bra, 'bug. Girl power! Today I have to get the rain baffle in place over the roof and get the screens up. And then it will officially be time "to summer".

Phoebes's catch was forefront in my mind yesterday when I heard Foxy Loxy let out a cry very close to our house. Rex went mental and asked him if he wanted to go see about the noise. I took him outdoors and he focussed on the area behind our house and BIL's. I let him go and he was out of sight in seconds. I gave him 5 minutes or so and then called him back. He came galloping over to me quickly obviously quite pleased with himself. We regard him as a "farm dog" and letting him patrol the border and the swamp beyond the house sends the strong message that this territory can be fraught with peril. While it's a little grim to see something despatched by your dog I'm not sure I'd be particularly upset by one less woodchuck anymore than I am when one of the pride leaves a rodent on the deck. There will be no shortage of them in the future, of that you may rest assured. Meant to mention that I saw a big snapper the other morning on my way to work, too. My personal connection to dinosaurs and one of those things you only get to see if you're up and about in the early part of the day.

Anita, is it possible to tire out a 2 or 3 yr. old? Don't you just wish you were able to bottle some of that energy and keep it for yourself, sounds as though you'll need some of it after the revellers leave today. How old is your Dad going to be? and what kind of cake are you going to serve?

Kathy, the helpmeet was doing the man thing last night (surfing the channels) and locked on the baseball game... Phillys and the Dodgers. I was able to watch your beloved team win in the 12th. inning (I think?) with a homerun by a really great looking guy, Andre Ethier (I think). The helpmeet was shocked when I expressed excitement about the Dodgers; since when have you gotten interested in THEM? Next thing you know I'll start drinking beer, too. ;)

I plum forgot to remind you that yesterday, in addition to being the 65th. anniversary of the D Day invasion of Normandy, was also the 90th. anniversary of Man O' War's first start as a two yr. old. He went to the post the favorite and won the 6 furlong race easily, "going away". Just thought you'd like to tuck that nugget into your trivia bag...

Time to map out the day and wait for the rest of you to get up!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Oh my Eden, white gloves too! I'm amazed you can find them to buy. My mother used to even wear them, and not just for church either. The finger curls are amazing. Did you help with her hairdo? I didn't realize how long her hair is. Anyway, I'm sure she had a memorable day!

Kathy, your photo of the expanded garden is very exciting. I know just the feeling when gaining even a small bit of new planting area! Yet, just yesterday, we were working toward adding a grassy spot where the compost heap has been for the past 10+ years. Our two new composters have been "planted" there by DH and he spent several hours leveling the area. We had a particularly nasty bunch of compost that was useless except for filling a hole behind the barn. I'm at the stage where I don't want to cut back on planting space but I want to cut back on work. Mowing this spot will be easy. In the past I had hoped to add a garden there. ;) I need a tall plant that grows in shade to put near one side of the composters. Any ideas? Hollyhocks would be fine but they require more sun.

Country Roads is a song that DH and his buddies always sing when they are playing guitar together... Amazing how computer science guys all seem to be 'rock stars' too.

Norma, I have a friend in Ohio who used to grow blueberries. She put netting over them to keep the birds away. She managed to repeatedly find snakes that way too. I think that was the reason for the demise of her blueberry patch.

Anita, (I'm whispering, OK?)I hope the reports on the baby finches is a good one! Your use of the word "salon" had me confused because these days that word means strictly Chelone's gorgeous new space! Today will be amazing. I hope your Dad is thrilled and that everyone has a ball! There's bound to be at least one goof though in a family that size.

Time to hit the shower.
    'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Good morning!

I made good progress on the pressure washing until it was time to go see the Open Days gardens in the area. I know where I want to live, now :) I came home and mowed the lawn and helped Nick finish up the cross ties in the new/old room.

This morning I have a date with the Goddess Garden. Nick's off doing extreme biking, I'm going to extreme garden. While I was mowing yesterday, I looked over and was liking what I saw in the GG....and that's a good thing! Maybe I'll snap a few photos this morning.

I'll be back later! Have a good day all.....

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good morning...

I'm awake, but barely moving. [g] It's very quiet at the moment, except for the birds, which is a good thing, since one particular neighbor lately has been driving us crazy with dogs barking or loud music. Nothing is on the calendar for the day. DH is up to his ears in paperwork this weekend due to a situation at work which won't be resolved for another month. His back is much improved but sitting is something he has to take frequent breaks from. His Mom hasn't had another low pressure episode since last week, so it's been quiet on that front this weekend too. We've had no rain, which amazes me. I have gotten so that I don't even bother to check the weather forecast any more. It was forecast for 90% chance of rain Friday night and we didn't see one drop. I can't remember a year when I've had to drag the sprinkler around so early, so often. DH tells me we are supposed to get rain all week too. That's it from here. I don't want to do anything at all today.

Eden, Bella is just having a great time, isn't she? Dressing up is right up her alley. Really does remind me of Shirley Temple, Chelone. The dresses, gloves, ringlet curls are just so adorable! So how did the girls do with the dancing?

Anita, I remember the year our youngest [DD] was one and the middle [DS] was three, omg, they had so much energy and I couldn't keep up with them. We used to try to wear them out before bed by having them see how many times they could jump up and down on the mini trampoline. lol It was such a fun time and went by in a flash. Nice when you can send them home and get a good night's sleep. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time seeing all your family today. That's a big family! ..... The rest of our hostas seem to be happy. I will have to move this one around until it works. The leaves on it are thin though, for those who have slug/snail problems.

Michelle....when will Kenzie be coming up for her visit?

Kathy....I've been tempted to start a Bay tree, but I'm afraid I won't have enough light in the house over the winter. That Iochroma is pretty, hope it lasts this time.

Norma, I was surprised that a snake could get itself caught in a net like that. I am very happy that I haven't seen a snake in our garden in a long time. I do not enjoy them at all. On your large wooded property I can see where it would be an advantage and worth it if they keep copperheads away.

We're not ready 'to summer' yet, Chelone. I haven't got all the mulch down, all the containers filled or the wind chimes out yet. Plus I just repaired one of the screen panels on the screenhouse, and now I see there are three more rips in it that I will have to sew. Last year, a neighborhood cat got in it and couldn't figure out how to get out so she ripped her way out.

Looking forward to more photos...

• denisez10
    14 years ago

It's always fun reading of the viral quality of idylls in action, e.g. Saucy's deck plans leading to Chelone's tackling the deck canopy. Yesterday I had an "extreme" puttering day, did no work on transcripts, none, but stayed in the garden all day, sat through and thoroughly enjoyed a micro cloudburst (2 mins of rain) and just fooled around with plants in between reading, also outdoors, a lengthy article on extinction (there's been five, we're in a sixth), went to a movie and soup with the boys, then to bed. Just the tonic needed to a rotten workday Fri.

Norma, that's so sad about the snake. I hate to hear of creatures getting fouled like that.

Anita, good rescue work and fingers crossed the little finches make it. That's quite a party today (wow!)

Eden, you've got Bella camera-trained, which is obvious in the group photo. My expression would have been more like the girl to the left of her ;) Hey, those are my Christmas harlequins on your book shelf!

PM, I thought your hosta looked sunburned but since I've never grown one I kept my opinion to myself! Agaves calm down plantings very much like hostas do. Cindy ID'd one I have that is chartreusy, in a photo above, A. attenuata 'Kara's Choice.' What a productive gardening day you had.

'bug, the brioche sounded heavenly. Phoebe is quite the huntress! Our sedate little cats have finally noticed the chipmunk eating the jacaranda nuts, so Evie, the timid white female, flings herself up the tree in the parkway after the chippie as though in a trance, always looking shocked afterwards to find herself in a tree. She is THE garden cat, so must find being outside its borders alarming, lured by a chippie no less...

Ivy is bright and beautiful. I got a quick visit with my 7-mo old niece a couple weeks ago. Now she's sitting up, babbling, and has a shocking amount of jet black hair. Gorgeous baby. Little Katie, her 4 yo big sister, is as charming as ever. She had her first visit to Disneyland earlier in the day and was absorbed in the little princess figures she brought home. Her mother requires that she always respond to questions "Yes, ma'am," which takes me some getting used to!

Nice haul, Kathy, and look at all that garden space you're revealihg hidden under grass ;) I confess that I've "overegged the pudding" as usual (too many plants), and very few zinnias are surviving the crushing border conditions. The purple orach is the main villain, but I dearly love this villain so will let the chips fall where they may.

Michelle, I hope the weather settles down. I imagine farming is in full swing now, right?

Saucy, it's good to read of your excitment with the GG again. Waving to all.

• chelone
    14 years ago

I'm in for a break. I've finished lacing on the rain baffles. The baffles keep rain bouncing off the roof from hitting the deck under the canopy and keep the insect hordes from infiltrating our seating area. The screen panels are zipped on to the canopy and all the weight rods are in place. All is secure and it's time to think about the furnishings.

I've also tackled the relocation of a stockpile of kindling that the helpmeet meant to split for use but never quite got around to when he was off for a month over the winter... ;) . In the process I disturbed a mouse who fled with 6 fully furred nursing babies still attached. A few stragglers bumbled around in confusion while I continued to move the wood. MIchelle, I'll bet you'd have flipped, lol. They are really darling little creatures but I was unmoved when the curious cats responded to the squeaking. I accept that there will be mice wherever there is stacked firewood. But I need to know the population is kept in check, also. Nature is a cruel mistress sometimes and cats are skilled hunters with incisors perfectly space to paralize rodent prey items. It is my hope to reclaim the very pleasant screen room directly beneath the deck and the canopied area, as well.

Funny Norma, but Sneaky Snake's demise would have upset me far more than dead rodents ever would!

OK, back to it now. I think the White Tornado express will be leaving for THTTF first thing tomorrow morning and that means I have to keep crackin' on the Compound maintenance list today.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Coffee is good this morning, and joined me on a WALAT this morning. The purchased bedding Zinnias in the front yard looked horrid so I pulled them up and bought a 6 pack of a different variety and plugged them in along with 2 Coreopsis Tequila Sunrise which is a variegated foliage form. The Zinnias in my triangular annual garden along the driveway look good and seem to be thriving.

Chelone, how fun that we were both watching Andre Eithier hit the game winning home run, though I believe I was drinking wine at the time , not beer, lol. Of course ALL the Dodgers are good looking-much like the men in Lake Woebegone .

Overedged the pudding indeed Denise, thus the need to address the lawn. The odd little rain events seem to have moved on, never enough to actually water anything gathjering steam on the way to Michelles I imagine

Ok, time to hit the great outdoors, later friends.

Kathy in Napa

• jak1
    14 years ago

Holy C**P!! I mean, Holy Mackeral! Lie low for a few days and look what happens. 80 posts! Have I even posted once on this thread yet??!! I was sick for a few days and occupied with a stupid situation that took up too much of my mind and time, and only got here for a
    quick read this morning!

So...here goes....

Whoever posted about the Oxalis infestation had me grinning - with our lousy weather the red oxalis that pops up eveywhere is almost my only colour right now. Yank it out, it will be back!

Bella - OMG she is adorable! What a little sweetie! She is just such a GIRL!! Love it.

Mary - finally someone in HR did what they are supposed to do. Good for you to take the respnsibility to make something happen. Nice to hear that recognition for David...but I was hoping it was the neighbour with the cut lawn responding...

Thanks, PM2 for your thoughts for DH. He is very much improved, although not quite back to his old self. MD's are happy though, and meds are on the way out. I have a Hosta that looks like yours...it is called "White Feather" and comes in white and then changes to green. I thought it would be neat but it is kinda ugly..But what is the double white clem? It is gorgeous!

Oh Bug: just look at that baby! I really like the names Ivy Rayne, and I confess that I would call her Rayne - just appeals to me. I bet she will look adorable in that beautiful sweater!

Marian: what a lovely place you have there; Country Road describes it perfectly IMO I still can't quite get over the wonderful "Pour Off". I would love that.

Deanne - let me know the secret of the Caladiums. Have tried them twice, followed instruction to the letter...nada., I might go for some of those gargantuan coleus though...DH is in love with those...

Martie - what a drag, dealing with work and finances and your brother's situation. You stoll sound "up" - good for you...it doesn't matter if things are going well or not - they will change in the other direction anyway! Chin up!

Kathy - what beautiful photos you take. Your lot sounds like it is typically suburban in size, right? You put me to shame!

To all of you who have responded to me on Facebook: I am completely technologically incompetent and cannot work FB to save my life. I am waiting for a memeber of the younger generation to give me a tutorial...until then, please don't be insulted by my lack of response...Believe me, I would if I could!

Today I am having one of those days - I hate the look of my house, I hate the look of my garden and I hate my hair. I know why, too. for the house, I have not kept up with the Juliejobs, so although it sorta looks o.k. I know there are all kinds of grubby little secrets behind the closed doors. The weather is dull and rainy once again...we have had five - count 'em FIVE, use one hand -and gardening isn't that much fun when you're wet and cold. The plants don't like it either....and the hair - well, I need it cut.

Anyway, tried to get a few photos this morning and will continue to - I guess I'll have to post them on a separate thread because this one is getting too long to open!!

You guys - just get me.

Cheers,

Julie

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yikes! This is a fast-moving thread!

Bella is definitely ultra-cute in that outfit. Ivy is pretty cute too - I'm with Julie; I'd go with Rayne....

Maian - the 'country road' shot is lovely - a great story-telling picture.

PM - It sounds like you two are working too hard! Take it easy.....

I forget who the blacksnake story belongs to.... I'm glad there are no slithery things in the garden here; they really would put me off gardeing! :-)

Anita - I'd like to know how the rest of the poem goes too. The book I was reading only had that line in it and I can't find any translated books of the author's poetry.

It was a nice day here. we went on the local garden tour this afternoon (see separate thread). I did a bit of walating here this morning. I'm quite happy with the changes to the front garden, especially the sweep of the grass path that the new bed created:
    {{gwi:49180}}

And the New Dawn on the swag is budding up nicely. After it does this first flush of bloom I'll cut all the small laterals back to try to get the later flushes to happen on shorter growth:
    {{gwi:163714}}

Last year it looked like one of my lupins in the front bed was dying out. I didn't realize it had seeded itself; it looks like I should have LOTS of lupins next year!
    {{gwi:163715}}

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the favorable comments on the "country road" pic. Yes, the tune fits it nicely, and John Denver was one of my favs. I have his Country Roads album.

Yes, Mary, that is the two kitties following Nolon. They look forward to that morning walk.

• jak1
    14 years ago

Oh Woody, your home looks just beautiful! Would you be interested in exchanging some of those blue lupin seeds for some pink? I have the pink in spades!

I meant to say, in my last post, that we have had FIVE NICE DAYS, since the beginning of May. Bah Humbug!

And I also meant to excuse myself for missing however many birthdays have come and gone already - happy belated to all of you whom I missed!

And Wonder Woman, that's Chelone, you must have muscles of steel to lug that canopy up the ladder and lace it up! I laughed when I read that the helpmeet didn't even notice at first - my man is exactly the same...there have been many instances of "When did you do that? Oh, a few weeks ago..." in our lives.

Cheers again. Off to try to do something with pictures!

Julie

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Julie - we're quite pleased with how the house and garden have come together. Are you sure you want seeds from that lupin? It's a pretty wimpy blue! There used to be more intense blue ones in the garden but they seem to be fading out. If some better blues come along, I'll show you those ones. I'd like some pink ones so I'd be happy to trade. Do you have any need of a pretty mix of columbines? I promised to collect seeds of ours for friends who were visiting last night. I will have lots and lots of seeds so there will be enough for several people! We have all sorts of colors - they are obviously cross-breeding like mad! I particularly like the blue and white ones - see the birthday picture for Sue above... Here is a picture of some of the ones in the north alley:
    {{gwi:163716}}

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Marian, John Denver is one of my favorites as well.
    There were four of us playing guitar at the family reunion and we played several of his songs.

Woody, I like the sweep of your grass path too. Yep looks like you will have lots of lupins next year. Can you transplant some of them?

Julie, sounds like you are bumming out a bit. I hope you get some sunny weather soon.

Eden, Bella looks so cute and I can see that she has stage prescence too. We attended recitals for the GD's for fifteen years or better. Now they both teach dance in their spare time.

Chelone, You can be proud of getting that canopy up by yourself. I have always tried to get things done on my own too.

Denise, good to hear you spent some quality time enjoying the garden.

Pm, Your 90 percent chance and no rain turned into our 30 percent chance and torrential downpours. And DH had just poured a concrete step. We had to do some quick covering and retroweling afterward.

Anita,50 is quite a few people. I hope your dad enjoyed his day. There were only 35 at the family reunion but it seemed like lots more than that. DH has five sisters and they are all humorous so it gets pretty wild sometimes.

Michelle, DH cut the netting and disposed of the snake. Thank goodness for that. I wasn't looking forward to doing it. I guess I'll take the rest of the netting down too, after the clem finishes blooming. I thought it unusal that he got caught but must have doubled back and forth to much.
    I sure wish you could get some nicer weather for gardening. On our trip I noticed a lot of fields were not
    planted yet.

Kathy sounds like you are making good use of your staycation. Enjoy. I will get a picture of the pond soon.

I helped DH today work on the area near my potting bench under the back deck. It is always a mud hole because of the downspout, so we are extending a paver walkway. I will be so happy to have that done.

Need to restock the larder tommorow so a trip to town will be first up.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Pleasant afternoon/evening to all. Never even opened the garage today- a day of rest for the vehicle. WALATS were numerous between tasks. Tomorrow I will call the tree service about having 2 branches taken off the Liquidambar. Id love to take the whole tree out, but a good limbing up will have to suffice. One of the branches has created that most dreaded of garden conditions i.e. shade all day except for the two most blazing hot hours of the day in late afternoon. Sun plants flop unattractively and shade plants burn up.

I am really enjoying the dayliles this year- the fans I planted in 07 have matured nicely and are loaded with scapes . They also are blooming somewhat progressively Moonlit Madness came on first (what a great plant that is too-blooms for a very long time) and I still have a few who have not opened a bloom yet. I like getting to enjoy the first bloom over a long period. Ive also noticed how the colors improve as the clumps get established . I think once all have bloomed I will put up a separate thread with thier 'portraits'.

Woody, your front garden looks terrific ! You are so right about the sweep of the lawn it seems to define and accentuate the bedsreally really nice. New Dawn is going to be fabu when all those buds open up. Lupine, a failure in my garden, and tried many times. They do great on our coast, I think our hot dry summers are not to their liking. Every few years I try again, I feel like I could grow them If I found the perfect location. I could probably also grow the native Lupine that carpets our valley in the spring, but of course I want the dramatic Russell Hybrids !

Julie, glad to see you and to hear that DH is so much better. The tee-times must be on the increase , lol. My lot is a little over 6,000 square feet. Im pretty lucky really , land is so valuable here that a custom home with property is out of the reach of most everyone except the very wealthy. Consequently, the homes that have been built here in the last several years have much smaller lots than mine. We also have very restrictive growth initiatives, implemented to protect agriculture which is good, since the whole economy of this valley is based on the wine grape growing industry.

Chelone, remember the story of Blackie the Snake at Stonecrest last summer ? Do I remember that some of us actually saw him ?

Michelle, this is my 3rd Iochroma , previous 2 met an untimely demise. This one is performing spectacularly better than the others- I think the placement and the cultivar are the reasons. There is an Inn on our Mendocino County coast that has an enormous specimen planted at the entrance to their garden shop-easily 10 ft tall, covered with bloom. This is a frost-free area so winter die-back is not an issue. Both of mine were winter killed. This one is supposed to be hardy to the mid-20s so I hope that I can protect it enough to bring it through the winter. Has the succulent sink been created this year ?

Wondering how Saucys GG day has progressed , and awaiting the pic of Deannes H. petiolaris in full bloom. ?

Wave to all-

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Speaking of black snakes...I walked around the corner of the house the other evening and encountered a long one coming out from beneath a kiwi vine. I hurried back in to get the camera, and got three pics before it escaped into a hole in the house's foundation. I hope it is a permenant resident. I will not post a pic, because of those who are freaked out by them. :-)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I have blue lupines (in the intense blue department) but would seriously hesitate to give seeds to anyone. They spread around like MAD and are difficult to remove quickly because of their tap root. They develop into HUGE plants very quickly. I also have those columbine everywhere Woody. I really like them because not many weeds can grow between them!

We were invited out to lunch today and the folks seem to have a very nice garden there. I'll have to go again for a closer look!

Woody, you asked about single peonies. I got mine from Gardenimport about 10 years ago. The store is under different management now, so their choice of plants is different these days. I wonder if a Google Search would have suggestions for Canada?

Well friends, I see you all like "Rayne" for a first name, but Ivy it will be. With Wayne as her dad's name, it would be too confusing around the house. Besides, DD says there are too many words and jokes that rhyme with Rayne. But they love it. In fact DSIL liked Rayna too. Ivy is an aunt of DSIL's mother and Ives is a family name on my Mom's side.

Well, the rain is expected here for the next few days too. That means my edging project will be incomplete for a while. I'm tired of watering everything and will welcome the showers. I'm also tired from hearing about Chelone's labor intensive weekend projects ! Vicarious exhaustion!

And so the weekend comes to a close.
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I would wave to everyone but I'm too exhausted to lift my hand.

Spent the weekend doing non-stop wedding prep. I finally got the deck pulled together and most of the pots planted up. Cleared a fair amount of clutter in the great room as well.

I have three days of work this week and then I am off until the Tuesday - I gave myself a day after the wedding weekend to recover. But things are coming together nicely and I think we will be in good shape.

That's about all the coherent thoughts I can pull together for now. I have a feeling that there won't be a great chatty post from me until AW (after wedding). TTYL,

V.

• chelone
    14 years ago

My shoulders are feeling the brunt of the past two days' exertion. But it's a good kind of feeling. I hauled the iron table and chairs out of the screen room under the deck, washed them and then brought them up to the deck. I pulled out two strings of white Christmas lights and strung them around the perimeter of the canopy's framing. I then celebrated with a glass of wine and a snoozing Spencer on my lap. Daddy returned moments later with Chinese food, which we consumed in bug-free comfort on the deck. Very pleasant! I was touched when the helpmeet mentioned appreciatively how nice it was to have a spouse who has such a useful trade and a "can do attitude".

I relocated all the kindling to the helpmeet's side of the garage where it will not become a mouse condo before he decides to split it for use. I cleaned up the remains of the mouse's nest and several hundred shards of acorn shell. There is more seasonal furniture to move out of the space before the shop vac. can be brought in and the indoor/outdoor carpet given a proprietary shampoo. But the screen room will become another pleasant retreat in the coming weeks.

I haven't begun to mulch. And won't today, either, as I'm soon to depart for THTTF and a day with my brother.

Marian, I would like to see a picture of the snake. How big was he? There was one that lived under the barn and while friends complained of rodents in their horse's feed I never had that problem but never gave it much thought until the day in early spring when I encountered Mr. Snake snoozing on the warm granite threshold to the barn! all 4+' of him! Then I understood and was properly impressed. ;)

I was just about to ask where you'd gotten off to, Julie, and up you popped! I'm sorry to hear you've been a bit under the weather but am delighted to learn that DH is responding to treatment and that nasty infection is on the run. Do you have any idea how he contracted it in the first place? And I sympathize with the run of crummy weather, too. I am capable of the major crankies when the weather is nasty for protracted periods of time. I've said it before, the concept of the JulieJob is what saves my bacon at those times. In fact, I keep a list of them near this monitor, adding to it whenever something pops into my mind. It's pretty long, too. ;) I'm a FB loser, too. I just don't "get" the whole concept, I guess. I think I open it about once every week/two, but it works slowly for me and I've not bothered to do whatever they recommend to "optimize my FB experience". I'm OK with my present experience here in Loser Land, thanks. :) How are your wretched little dogs and that wretched TCS responding the the beatings you've likely administered in recent days?

Woody, your home looks wonderful! I heartily concur that the new bed really does add a level of definition to the lawn area around the big bed. I love paths and that green carpet just begs a visitor to follow it and explore. It must feel great under bare feet. :) I don't grow Lupines here but they are a common site where I grew up, carpetting the roadside at this time of year. They really are spectacular plants in bloom. If you think of it, I'd like to know how long the ND swag is, or are there several of them along the wall? I can see that your's is a very, very content rose.

I'm glad it's Ivy and not Rayne. Even with "reinne" as an option.

PM, I've forgotten completely to comment on DH's mother. Mum used to have the same low blood pressure issue when getting up in the morning. She was always very deliberate in her movements and would always sit upright for a few moments to sort of take stock and collect herself before making her next move. After the intial move to an "upright position" she was fine for the rest of the day. Her innate caution was such a blessing for me. I'm sure watching the decline is difficult and worrisome for you. When you finish your mulching you can come help me with mine. ;)

I thought of Denise puttering in her garden all day long. That's really why we have them, isn't it? I can think of no more perfect antidote to a depressing day at work. That's how I feel when I turn into the driveway after enduring chaos and clutter for 8+ hrs.. I would like an update on the soaking tub project, please.

And I was also going to ask about V. who's appeared already and has confirmed what I thought... that wedding plans are in full swing and the JulieJobs are being ticked off the list one by one. Mother and son dance tune? pleased with your newly fitted dress? will you be eschewing the wool socks when you exchange pumps for Birkenstocks? May the week before the wedding pass smoothly and uneventfully, may the ceremony and reception be all you hope it will be, and may the bride and groom live happily ever after. And may you thoroughly enjoy the day off on Monday!

Waiting for:
    Norma's pond pictures
    Anita's birthday party report
    Saucy's GG, garage and deck projects
    Kathy's staycation

Time to think about headin' out on the open road now. :(

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good morning :-)

Another gray morning without a drop of rain yet and the sun is supposed to come out again later today. I am planning an easy walk around the garden this morning to make sure all the small planters are not in need of water, but no work planned. Yesterday was devoid of energy with sore muscles but today I am hoping to stretch out some of the kinks after a nice hot shower with the shower massage, followed by walking. [g] Woody, I am taking it very easy today and yesterday and DH and I are both doing okay this morning. No back repercussions, thankfully. :-) I'm very satisfied to have made a big dent in the 'list', but in what year, will the garden need routine maintenance and no more? That is the burning question of the day. Sometimes I think I have bitten off more than I can chew.

Woody, that shot of the front of your house looks wonderful! I think that new bed really made quite an improvement and the shape of the grass path really adds a lot to the structure of the garden. It really works, good job! Every time I see shots of your New Dawn, I become convinced I am growing the wrong rose. [g] Look at all those buds!

Denise it did sound like a very enjoyable day in the garden for you. How is DH's back btw? And your Dad? Yes, I never thought of it but your agaves are like hostas! Very pretty ones too. If you have 'overegged the pudding' [great expression, where did you run across that one?] then at least you aren't weeding. :-)

Norma, I never thought about the fact that if I wasn't getting the rain, that someone who wasn't supposed to get it would get the soaking. It's a pain, isn't it? Glad you salvaged your concrete project.

Chelone...DH's Mom is rapidly declining. Her short term memory has been bad for a long time and she constantly repeats things. She can eat and forget she has and ask for food again 5 minutes later and that will go on all day. Now even her long term memory is fading. She asks DH when he arrives, if he is her son. It's very sad. I feel very badly for him and for her. The doctor is trying to balance the meds but I don't think it is easy. She is on one for the memory decline that I think may be making the low pressure worse, but I don't think they dare take her off it. She's also not very mobile having had bad knees for many years. I know you and others here have already been through similar circumstances and understand what it is like. Not much to do, but get through it the best we can. Thanks for that input about getting up carefully, I'll pass it along.

Haven't watched a baseball game all the way through once yet this season. We did watch some of the golf on the new TV yesterday. We could actually see ants on the trees. lol DH is pleased with the new TV. :-)

Julie...that is SO great that DH is much better. I hope he is eating well to promote complete healing. Do they recommend probiotics after such an intense dose of antibiotics, to restore the intestinal balance? The double Clematis is 'Duchess of Edinberg' that I bought in a box at BJs. I was surprised that it actually grew and survived. [g]

Exciting couple of weeks coming up for V! Can only imagine how tired you are getting down to the last minute details. Hoping you will have lots of photos to share.

Gee, IU6 will be here before you know it.

Well, the sun is coming out already so no rain for today I guess. Off to check the containers. Have a great Monday!

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Okay, Chelone...this is for you:

{{gwi:163717}}

It is a black racer, and at least 3' long. I kept trying to head it off so I could get a better pic, but it would not cooperate. :-)
    It was right back of the clematis trellis that it disappeared into a hole under the foundation. It knew where it wanted to go, and wasted no time getting there.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Marian - that looks a lot like one of my soaker hoses! That could be a startling confusion if what I thought was a soaker hose started to move!

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Morning all, I'm done with my bit of walating around after having been gone the last three days and Doug took great care of the containers during my absence. Things are looking so pretty right now with the Salvia 'May Night' in bloom along with the large allium, wigela, Hydrangea petiolaris, some of the clematis including 'Arrabella' and 'Betty Corning' are starting to put on their annual show. It surely makes it worth all the effort. I'll have to get a few pics of the back gardens when the light gets better later.

Sounds like everyone is busy, busy including V with wedding plans. I can't wait to hear all about it and see the pics.

Marian, I have to agree with Woody, that snake looks like one of my soaker hoses. Great pic of it.

PM I don't know that there will ever been 'routine' maintenance in a perennial border. There always seems to be more to do than the hours available to do it. Even if you just had a shrub border there would always be pruning and keeping them the right size and shape.

Chelone, have a great day! ~~ Your Chinese food on the deck sounds great. Is it screened and that's why its bug free? The mosquitoes are pretty ferocious here right now.

Kathy that lavender is gorgeous!

OK I'm going to see about getting outside and getting some work done around here. I've got to be in the studio painting the rest of the week so I gave myself today off so I could putter in my gardens after having been gone all weekend.

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

Original Author
    14 years ago

I have an assignment for Marian if she'd like to do some research for me and apply her clearly extensive knowledge and experience with viburnums and other shrubs... A neighbour has two very nice shrubs on her lawn. One is clearly a viburnum of some sort; the other I'm not sure what it is. She doesn't know what they are either. Neither of them have fruit - or at least not showy fruit because I remember looking for it in late summer/fall and not noticing any. They seem to be multi-stemmed small trees; they don't seem to sucker. Can you identify these for me Marian? I'd really appreciate it if you could!

{{gwi:163718}}

{{gwi:163719}}

{{gwi:163720}}

For your amusement, here is Misty and Blue at play:
    {{gwi:163721}}

Chelone - the swag is about 18' long. There is a double row of chains - set about 10" apart. All my reading on climbing roses say they flower on horizontal wood so a swag promotes flowering because the canes are horizontal. I gather on an arbour you are supposed to zig-zag the canes on the sides so the flowers aren't just all on the top. It was way too late to do that for our ND as the main canes are now like tree trunks! The swag certainly seems to be doing it's job to produce flowering laterals. The ND gets a dose of rose fertilizer in spring and some sheep manure at the base at the same time and that's all the cosseting it gets. It's pretty tough and doesn't need a lot of babying I think.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good morning Idylls ..coffee and list making here on the left coast. Today is errand day (they never had that one on the Mickey Mouse Club did they ?) and thus I will be off in a bit to Trader Js, Staples, the cleaners to drop off the winter comforter, and will put in time paying bills and monitoring laundry.

Lol, Mr snake and the soaker hose- I would have the same issue here.

Chelone, FB is annoyingly slow for me too, but it is nice to get to visit with some of our less frequently Idylling friends on a regular basis.

OK, I better get going, see you all later !

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Woody, the one on the right is a doublefile Viburnum, and I 'think' the one one the left is an Alternate-leaved Dogwood.
    Check and see if it's leaves are alternate, and if the blooms match those in the link.

It might be Silky Dogwood, C. amomum, which has similar blooms but opposite leaves.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Woody, I have silky dogwood but in a very shaded area so I can't really compare the bloom situation. I also have Nannyberry, again in a shady area. (Viburnum lentago)

This morning has been overcast and cool but we've not had rain yet so I've been able to get odd jobs done outside. I weeded out an incredible mess from around a Shasta Viburnum. There's just tons of creeping Charlie in that area. A nice clematis, The President, grows there too. I was able to finally place an obelisk there for it to grow through.

Next I cleaned up around a struggling little clematis, Natacha. I sure hope this one begins to take off soon!

Next I had to tie up C Betty Corning which was sprawling all about. This one always gets huge!

Finally I removed a dead rose near the vegetable garden and planted Clematis Cezanne there. I hope this proves to be a good spot for it!

I have a tiny clematis Freemontii which has never bloomed for about 4 years, but today I see buds on it. It is a tiny thing, only about 6-8 inches high, but very sweet. I hope nothing munches on the blooms before I get to see them!

It is so nice to get several things done...but many more things are waiting for me you can be sure. Meanwhile, laundry and knitting await.

So glad to hear from V that she is making good progress and not in too much of a panic. This is a time to remember, a time to finally be able to sit back and ENJOY!~ Yes, I too want photos if the couple don't object.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus