Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningmary

Idyl #270 The Special Moment Idyll

gardeningmary
17 years ago

Ei and Babs - I loved hearing about your special moments. Perhaps we'll have some more on this thread.

Mary

Comments (101)

• babs_clare
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I swear V was the last one up when I posted-Ei and Marian snuck in!: )Hi ladies!

Yeah Ei-I knew you'd have a tough time on Father's day but you weren't far from my thoughts. Hey the fact that your dad can still make you laugh is a wonderful thing to have! I like the sense of humor your DS has. Ooo you've got a cool husband he rides a Harley! So like,are you a biker chick? lol. A biker chick with mulched hair lolol. I don't blame you for being nervous on a bike-did you two wear helmets?? I always worry when I see young kids with no helmet and no protective clothing especially on a highway-I cringe just thinking what if they wiped out. I probably wouldn't make a good biker mama.
    Try the delphs again-like Deanne said!
    Thanks about my pics(blushing). I do know that I focus on the main area of interest and just hold the focus while angling the camera in a way that looks interesting. Many times people stand and shoot but sometimes it's interesting to crouch and get foreground things happening as you get the background in there too. More importantly just take pics to take them. Take a shot then take another one of the same subject but try to do something different with what you see. Does that make sense? I just kind of do it: )

MArian-I hope Trubby is Ok-what a scare. Would a hairball or something chokeable that he had eaten cause him to breathe heavy??I know zilch about cats: ) I hope he ends up Ok but you would wonder why that happened and he's so young.

eden I forgot to say-I like the garden pics you posted and I agree with Ei that that hibiscus is so colorful-I've never seen that one before-very nice! I have some hibiscus that are a few years old-under a foot tall and I wonder when it will be big enough to bloom. The bunnies and deer do chow on it. In fact I saw a baby bunny today so I know there are more on the prowl.
    I admire you people who grow delphs-I tend to not get plants I have to stake(I am a whimp).

Here's a little funny--My neighbor and I have our front yard gardens practically side by side and we borrow each others garden views. Well I was removing some tradescantia from my bed because it just gets way too floppy and spreads too well...as I'm toiling away I hear my neighbor calling from her window "Hey why are you removing my flowers???" I said "What?" then cracked up. I guess she really liked the view of the tradescantia but it was funny to realize someone besides me sees and appreciates my garden: ) It's funny because I also treat her daylilies nearby with my deer repellant so I make sure the deer don't ruin my borrowed view of her garden. I do like having a gardening neighbor.

Mary hey that's not fair-you got more done than I did lol! I did a load of clothes but one trip outside to deadhead sent me into 'lets move some plants' mode: ) My house is a mess from top to bottom-oops well the basement is clean because of the hot water heater fiasco; )

GB was the dentist kind?

I need to go find something that can be turned into dinner food. Italian sausage surprise?...must make up recipe; )

Do I use too many faces?; )

Weatherbug is flashing-wonder what's up.Deanne hope you don't get bad storms.

~Babs

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I researched heartworms in cats, and am pretty sure that is Trubby's affliction. I didn't even know cats got them, but they do. It is difficult to diagnose from tests and even more difficult and lengthy to treat. The treatment can aggravate the condition! There seems to be a 50-50 chance he will recover. Taking him to a vet isn't feasible. He does seem to be somewhat improved, but will not eat, or even drink milk. He is drinking water.It is sad, and a strain on both of us, compassion-wise.
    Have you cat owners had your pets vaccinated for heartworms? It is caused by infected mosquitoes and can happen to both indoor and outdoor cats. Thank goodness it is rather rare.

As our youngest granddaughter said, we can pray for him, and I am.

My shoulder pain has flaired up, and nothing I do is helping it.We have been signed up for the Medicare parts D and C and they will come into effect the first of July. I hope to get something done for my shoulder then.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I forgot to ask a question that I need an answer to. Am I a really fuddy-duddy grandmother, or do all young people....(meaning my GD's ages), eat constantly? And drink soda pop all day long? Our youngest 2 snack all day long when they are here,and have an iced glass of pepsi that they refill over and over and over. I wasn't raised like that. We ate 3 meals a day, and had one snack after school. I am afraid they are harming their health, and will be very obese when they get to be teenagers. The 12 year old isn't bad too do that, but she picked all the onion and celery bits out of the salad I made. They all 3 picked all the peppers off of the pizza!
    Please, mothers and grandmothers...is this the norm for today's youth?

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

HI Marian,I can't speak for all young kids today but I'm probably considered a 'mean' mom lol.We just eat the three meals a day but if they want a snack in midafternoon it has to be fruit or non-junk food. Pop is only for special occasions(bday party or holiday celebration). I would worry that not only is pop terrible nutritionally it is so bad for a child's teeth especially if it's repeated throughout the day. In fact I also frown upon the kids having more than one glass of juice a day because of all the sugar it has. Here we have milk with meals and I really push water the other times of the day-but that's easy to do in summer. Are your GDs just trying to see what they can get away with maybe? Does your son mind the excessive pop?

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

((Marian)) I'm so sorry to hear about Trubby...I sure hope he perks up. It's just awful to watch a beloved pet suffer, almost as bad as watching a sick child. Do you think he could have ate something bad?...like a bad mouse or a poisonous toad/frog?...something like that? I sure hope he doesn't have heartworm...that's a pretty serious, scary disease. I really watch that with Scout. I don't give him heartworm medication - a personal choice, as my Willie had an extremely bad reaction (convulsions/seizures) to the medication. Shelties and Collie type dogs have a higher rate of reaction to heartworm meds. than do most animals. They *say* the new meds. are better in that regard, but I just am afraid to chance it again. Instead I have full blood tests, including heart worm done on Scout 2 times a year; March & Sept. to make sure that he hasn't been infected. Anyway, if I had any other dog, other than a collie/sheltie, I would definitely give him the medication, but they have to be tested first, before taking the preventative. I'm sorry you can't bring Trubby into the vet...is he too hard to transport there? Do you have a cat carrier? In any case, I sure hope he feels better soon. Re the girls and their eating habits. Sorry to say my sons diet was less than stellar as a teenager. When he was young I didn't allow much snacking (except for stuff like cheese, fruit and yogurt), but as a teenager I think it was his chance to "rebel". I served decent meals at home, but I know he ate whatever he wanted in high school and doubt he ever ate lunch there. Plus he had a job, so he could buy himself all the "junk" he desired. Luckily he was pretty slim, but it still wasnt a healthy diet. Funny, now as an adult, he very rarely drinks any soda and not very much into snacks either and drinks lots of water - all the things I advised him to do, but which he chose to ignore. I would try to influence the girls as much as you can (soda is really bad) but maybe they will turn around on their own too, like DS did, I sure hope so. Funny, the other card my son gave my DH was a birthday card that said: "When I was little you knew everything about everything dad, then when I was a teenager suddenly you didnt know anything at all. Now, you know everything again...You must have just been going through a phase, right?" LOL! I guess thats just the way it is and will always be with most teenagers and their parents. You might have better success with influencing the younger girls. I think my sons GF may be a good influence on him; shes even getting him to see his doctor and dentist regularly...another war we had all the time. Oh, I forgot to mention...did I tell you guys that he wants me to help him pick out an ENGAGEMENT RING for his girlfriend? GULP! I said she would probably want to help him, but he said she wanted *him* to pick it out and suggested I come with him to help. :-) Hey, I think she likes me! :-) She did give him an idea of what she would like, i.e. she wants a sapphire engagement ring with possibly some little diamonds on the side and likes white gold. Untraditional I guess, but I know that long ago that kind of engagement ring was not uncommon. In fact I know I've seen that sort of thing in antique jewelry stores...I just don't know how expensive they might be. They *are* on a budget. They are talking a wedding by next September and kids when they reach their 30s.

Babs...LOL! Funny about the motorcycle dude. When you meet him, you wont have that impression at all. He *is* a very daring person, but you wouldnt guess it by seeing him. He is actually pretty soft spoken, short haired, subdued appearance, quiet, and reserved around people he doesnt know well. But once he feels comfortable around you he can be pretty entertaining...very witty, humorous and insightful too. I loved your "wine in the rain" story! Well, you know how much I love to be out in a good rain...specially if theres a little thunder and lightning to make it exciting. Smiled about the "really knowing each other". Having someone who "gets" you...thats one of the best parts about being married, I think.

Mary...did you get your essay written? Am looking for a job, but the "hours" thing is a real problem. I need to be able to take sis to her appointments and mom too, but I also *really* need to get a regular job. I am so grateful that I was able to stay home and raise my son, but also wish I would have held onto my job, at least in some small way...part time or whatever. Its not easy to find a decent job, when your my age and have such a sporadic work history. I could probably go back into the legal secretary or medical transcription thing again, but I would need to bone up...I fear Ive forgotten everything. Truth be told I really dont *want* to do that again, but Im not good for much of anything else. Dotty has been asking me to come back to work for her hubby (doing the copywriting) but the hours are so crazy and unpredictable and I am considered a subcontractor, which means I have to pay my own social security and taxes etc., and DH does not like that! I did see something in the paper today about a "Personal Shopper" which sounds like it could be fun; if it isnt a gimmick....its an 800 number to call. Well, well see....

Im feeling a bit guilty hearing about Mary and Deanne cleaning their houses. Mine really needs it, but just cant seem to get myself motivated right now. Speaking of which, I hope Eden was wearing her crash helmet with the new vacuum! :-)

Deanne, I *know* you could grow delphiniums as you say, if you find the right spot for them. You are such a great "caretaker" of your plants I know delphiniums would love you! :-) I dont know why they like me, as Im a bit of a lazy caretaker, but they have always done pretty well. The ones out front have been there ever since I planted the front yard, about 4 or 5 years ago and did great until...oh well, I wont say it...you know the thing Ive been complaining about for the last 2 years. Frankly Im sick of hearing me say the word dr****t. Speaking of hats Deanne, for Mothers Day my son got me this neat garden hat with a matching gardening satchel. In hot pinks and orange stripes! From a company called Prince Jardinier. His GF business represents them here in the states. They dont have a pic of my exact hat and satchel (only show the solid colors) but I bet you would like them. Cool stuff! I dont know if Ill actually ever use the hat...I never seem to wear them when working in the garden and the satchel is just too darn pretty to get dirty...LOL! But I love them because DS bought them for me. Maybe I can put them out for display...LOL! I really like the canvas waistcoat at their website and it reminds me of one you wore once.

Hope Vs feeling a little better and glad to hear Honey's DH is feeling better.

Well, Ive been babbling about nothing and guess I should be going to bed, so TTYL! Ei

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all,

So we never got any thunder storms although north and west of here they got hammered. They are predicting some more storms for this afternoon though and they are supposed to be centered here in southern New England. ~~ Can you believe that tomorrow is the longest day of the year? It seems that it has been cloudy and cold so we havent been able to enjoy these longer evenings yet. Yesterday I managed to do a bit of housecleaning and of course the second Doug touched the rugs there was dirt all over them. I think he is some kind of dirt magnet. The first thing he did was bring up my potting soil bucket from the basement and promptly knocked a huge clod of potting soil all over the newly cleaned, tile floor in the breezeway. They he said it was my fault because there was dirt on the bottom of the bucket! Grrrrr.. He thought he was being funny. I didnt really think so. Then when he was grilling the chicken for dinner he tracked a ton of stuff all over the dining room carpet. He was just going out in his socks and tracking it in that way. I dont think he understands the concept of wearing shoes and either wiping them on the mat provided for that purpose at the door or removing ones shoes when coming in. Ive found the amount of care a person takes with not tracking in dirt has everything to do with who does the vacuuming. LOL

Eileen, how neat your DS is planning on getting engaged. And also neat that you are close enough to him that he wants you to help him pick out the ring. ~~ RE garden hats, I ALWAYS wear a hat in the garden. One of the reasons the neighbors think Im a bit cracked. Ive noticed a big difference in the amount of wrinkles I have depending on how much sun Ive allowed my face to get so the last several years Im never outside without one. ~~ Love that web site with the garden things. I have to agree with you about that canvas waistcoat. Pretty neat! The one I wore was from Eddie Bauer and has a ton of pockets. I love to use that when on a photography trek. It keeps my equipment organized and handy.

V. I sure hope you are feeling better today.

Marian, I have to agree with you about the snacking and soda. That is absolutely unacceptable, as Babs said, not only is it unhealthy the soda does cause tooth decay. Those girls are headed for some serious weight problems if they dont change their eating habits. ~~ Thanks for the information about heartworm in cats. Id never heard of that before. I sure hope that isnt what Trubby has.

Babs, you are so lucky to have a neighbor who gardens also. I sure wish I did. That would be a treat. I love the way Honeys garden visually flows seamlessly to her neighbors. that is probably the best example of borrowed landscaping Ive ever seen.

Honey, so glad to hear DH is better. Id love to lose 7 pounds but not like that! ~ How neat your new outfit is actually a bit loose on you. You should be so proud of yourself. ~~ I agree 100% about those stupid jello pita (pain in the a - -) pop-ups. Have you noticed that the close button is never marked the same or anywhere in the same place on any of those things so you have to hunt for them? Grrrrr.

So yesterday I did get the first floor all vacuumed and dusted and also washed the random woodwork that was looking a bit dingy, vacuumed the curtains in the breezeway, vacuumed under the stove and washed the refrigerator etc., etc. I was on a roll. This morning as I was sitting having my breakfast I decided that I had to wash the east windows in the dining room. The sun only shines in those windows in the morning for a few weeks of the year and I want to see it through clean windows. LOL

OK Ive got to go and water the containers and get myself to the gym. Have a great day everyone. I sure wish Sue would check in again soon. Im missing her posts as well as so many other missing Idyllers. What ever happened to the guys anyway?

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Good Morning, It's a beautiful day for gardening here. Sunny but nice and cool. Yesterday I worked most of the day weeding and deadheading. I also did a little shopping. JoAnn's has their pots on sale but not as good a selection as last year. I didn't find any pots I liked but did pick up a sweet little pink watering can and a birdhouse. I stopped at another nursery we have here called English Gardens, it's a chain kind of similar to what Franks Nursery was. I got a couple of little japanese maples for $25 each and may go back today and pick up a leucanthemum broadway lights. I wanted to come home and google it before I got one. Supposedly it blooms yellow and then fades until the blooms are white. I don't usually have much luck with daisies, they seem to fade away after a few years but this one sounds worth a try.

Marian, we're not pop drinkers here so my kids didn't have it much at home. With Bella we pretty much give her milk at meals and water the rest of the time. She's not a picky eater at all but I think that sometimes just depends on the child. My girls weren't picky but I always told David he needed a pair of tweezers when he ate. He was a very picky and frustrating eater when he was younger. He's not like that anymore now that he's grown, thank goodness. We don't do snacks with Bella either, it's pretty much 3 meals a day for her. I hope Trubby's doing better. It sure sounds like he could have been poisoned to me, especially with the labored breathing and thirst. Our last dog had heartworm when we got her. Usually with that they develop a cough. We had her treated but it did have a lasting effect on her heart. She died of heart disease about 10 years later.

Deanne, I'm surprised you don't grow delphs. It has to be your climate and not the gardener that's doing them in. Mine aren't half as full this year as they usually are and I have a couple in the front garden that hardly bloomed at all. I don't think it's a good year for them. I plant new ones here and there every year because I think they are just naturally short lived plants and only last 3 or 4 years mostly. They are heavy feeders too. I usually start them from seed or find starter plants for a dollar or two. In answer to your question, the heuchera in that container garden is key lime pie.

Babs, I loved your special moment of wine and rain. I liked it when you talked about knowing each other so well. Not to get too sappy here but there's a favorite of mine John Mayer song that has a line, "Our love was comfortable and so broken in." I feel so lucky that Brad and I have that too.

V, hope you're feeling better today.

Ei, exciting news about your son planning on getting engaged. That's so great that he wants you to help him pick out the ring.

Mary, have fun with your lunch today. Hope you got all your cleaning done. That's something I need to work on too.

Honey, only 4 plants in the ghetto. That's my gardening dream! I'm just glad mine hasn't gotten much larger this year but there's probably 30 or so plants in it at all times. It's kind of a revolving ghetto. I plant something and buy something else to take it's place in the ghetto. Glad Tom's feeling better.

Cindy, it must be really hard working all week and having to spend the weekends going to take care of your parents. What a great daughter you are to do that.

It's almost 8 so I need to get dressed and get going on some stuff around here. Hope you all have a great day!

Eden

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Update on Trubby. He is breathing much more normal this morning, and I am pretty sure he drank some of the milk I put in the utilty room for him last night. The main reason I have not taken him in to a vet is the vet expense coupled with the distance of traveling back and forth. If it IS heartworms, it would be an ongoing treatment, without much hope of him recovering. Since he appears to be coming out of it, we chose to wait, and hope for the best.

This is my day in town, and there are several places to go after the class.
    It is going to be very hot and muggy.

Marian

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Im glad to hear that others have such a time getting motivated for house cleaning it is soooo far down on my list after gardening, other chores, resting, eating, sleeping.... none of which ever all get done hence no house cleaning either!! What a pit...

But yippee, we finally got a bit of rain here enough to actually make things look & feel wet -- & more on the way over the next few days. Of course, its feeling like a sauna outside and every metro train trip is "interesting" because often there is no a.c. in the cars so when theyre packed like sardines one truly feels like a claustrophobic prisoner and if ones hormones decide to kick in well.... whew, youre a dripping, stinky commuter by the time you reach your stop!!!

Poor V you must be rundown doing way too much? And Honey, why is it the men always lose 7 lbs and we women dont even when we suffer & have the same bug? I can be sick for 3 or 4 days & not lose a single lb!

Re "dwarf lilies" I have some that are now blooming that are get this about 5 inches tall!!! the most bizarre thing Ive ever seen the stalks look to be about 3 inches & when I first saw them I thought, what the heck are those.... then they got a full bloom on them very very weird if I can, Ill try to get a shot just for sharing. Talk about "stunted"....

Babs, love your story about the mutual borrowed views hope you gave your neighbor those tradescantia for her own view in her own garden? I have some also Im thinking about removing they just dont do enough to earn their keep I dont think.

Marian, Im so sorry Trubby is still ailing I will hope its not heartworm & that he recovers.

Ei how nice your possible DIL wants you to help your DS pick out her ring that is definitely a sign she likes & approves of you too!! I like her idea of the non-traditional ring I myself prefer them & have never been fond of the single diamond look. Its nice to be "different" sometimes.

Eden, thanks for the comment re being a "good daughter" I try if only because theres not much anyone else to do it (brothers arent much good at it) & my sister has taken herself out of the picture.... But boy, sure am pooped the weekends after I visit I am soooo dragging today and its only Tuesday Das "le sigh"....

Well, its going to be another frazzled, stressed day at the office so I better get to it. No rest for the weary.

Hope all the ailing people & pets perk up and missing Idyllers return maybe they all have summer doldrums already?

Cindy

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

I'm enjoying another cup of coffee, the sun is shining and the sky is a pretty shade of pale blue. I haven't a clue as to what the forecaster's are predicting the day's weather to be.....but right now, it sure looks promising.

I've been battling a cold for 8 days (I've been counting). Why is it that summertime colds seem to linger longer? Miserable darn germs! I'm going around with droopy eyes, handkerchiefs popping out of pockets, mouth open in order to breathe....a very enticing picture of female lovliness at her best (NOT). ;o) Oh well, I've been staying home for the most part and not subjecting anyone but DH to the germs. Yesterday was the first day that I went somewhere with others. We took Jamie & his momma to a heavy equipment auction. DH figured that Jamie would be in 'little boy heaven' getting to see (and sit) on giant excavators, monster bulldozers, backhoes, tractors.....the list goes on and on. He got to 'drive' a fire truck, a school bus, a 12 yard dump truck, a Freightliner semi, backhoe(s), excavator(s), bulldozer(s).......the list goes on and on and on. He was in little boy heaven. I took 238 photos yesterday and probably 220 of them had that little boy as the center of attention. I'll find some fun ones to upload and share later.

My pile of chips is still untouched. It was mentioned by DH last night. I gave him 'the look' and said "they will be used". I just haven't either had the time, right mindset, or now....the energy to do anything with them. The pile is getting smaller as they decompose and I'm thinking that isn't such a bad thing if they break down a bit before I begin piling them where I want the back beds. I've had a multitude of mushrooms growing in the new front curvy bed......along with some grass and weeds. I've been crushing the 'rooms (stepping on them) and pulling the weeds, but I'm considering trying out Preen on the beds. I know nothing about the product, have wondered if it is worth the money and if it works. Just thought it would be interesting to use it and see, without any plants to bother, how well it works to kill the weeds that are there and curb more from showing up. Anyone use it? Pros? Cons? I should do some research on the subject I guess.

The wildlife around here has increased since Seiko has been absent. Baby bunnies frolicking in the front yard & curvy bed (grrrr!). Deer and elk grazing in the yard throughout the day (the deer use to just come around during the night when Seiko would be inside--the elk have always done whatever they please). The bunny population is incredible, which probably means the coyote population will explode soon, too. The cycle of life....

DD saw the doctor yesterday. All seems to be going along well with her pregnancy. She'll have an ultra-sound within the week to check on the babies. She is getting close to the time where the doctor says the babies' survival rate will be close to 100% if they come early. We'll all breathe a huge sigh of relief when that date comes.

Taryn, I'm thrilled for your friend and I hope her pregnancy will go smoothly.

Oh, I was doing some mowing yesterday afternoon and saw that the bees are active again in the tree where I sealed it up. I felt such guilt over sealing up a honey bee colony that I don't have the heart to attempt it again. Them continuing to have their home, in that tree (or anywhere close to our home as DH & DD are both allergic), isn't an option either so I'm not positive how this is going to work out. I'll call the county extension office to see if they have the name of some bee keepers that I can talk with about the situation.

Guess that is all the news here....I've been reading and sending good thoughts to all but won't even try to catch up/respond to indivduals.

Hello to all!
    T.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

It was a lovely evening last night and actually cool today. We received a nice rain early this a.m. Fortunately there was no hail. As it was coming they were saying on TV that some places had golf ball sized hail. Things have perked up so much from our rain last Friday. The grass is green again, the containers are filling out etc. When I went to town on Sat. to pick up the wicker chair, they had all their containers ½ price. I picked up 2 that were unique. Of course I didnt have anything to put in them, so I stopped at my favorite seasonal nursery. All plants were 40% off. I got a fuchsia and plectranthus for one and a coleus, wire vine and euphorbia Burgandy Wine for the other. I was surprised that they had such nice stuff left. You are all my witnesses : I will not plant any more containers!

Deanne, LOL on the dirt tracking. Sat. it was a little rainy so I went to town. Rick stayed home and I guess he couldnt find anything to do so he swept the mudroom and laundry room. When I came home he said "make sure you dont track in, I just cleaned" That wedding dress is very similar in style to the one my DD had. Hers had the lacing in the back and was the same style, just not as much beading, which was her choice.

As far as housecleaning goes, we had company on Sunday and thats usually my motivation to get some cleaning done. Heck thats what winters for.

Ei, how fun that your son will be getting engaged. LOL about the timeline for when you will be a grandma. Rick and I were out in the rain this a.m. but it wasnt a special moment. It was pouring and I needed fuel for the car.

V, I hope your temp is hovering around 98.6.

Cindy, I dont think I would like a homeowners association. Im not big on people telling me what to do.

Mary, have a nice lunch. It sounds good.

T, what fun it must have been to watch Jamie "drive" all that cool equipment. Pictures please. I hope you shake your cold soon.

Back to work
    Michelle

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Hi, Marian I'm so glad Trubby is doing better. I hope he continues to improve.

Deanne, I know just how you feel about cleaning all day and then everyone comes home and messes it all up again. Wouldn't it be nice if it could stay perfect for just a little while?

T, hope you kick your cold soon. Eight days is enough. I'm so glad to know the babies are doing well. Can't wait to see the pictures of Jamie.

Michelle, so how much longer until you have the potting shed interior finished and we get to see a picture? Good score on the containers. We won't tell if you slip and plan another container or two. Here's a couple pictures of mine with some of the plants you mentioned

This one has the euphorbia burgundy wine and wire vine

{{gwi:163758}}

and this one has plectranthus mona lavendar

{{gwi:163759}}

and here's another I'm showing you just because it's one of my favorites so far this year and is filling in nicely

{{gwi:163760}}

Sorry the colors in the pics are faded out from the bright sunlight. A photographer I'm not. Now I have to go do some of the housecleaning I've been avoiding all day.

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Hey, Eden, great pot combos!

This will be quick because I'm exhausted. You know when you get so tired your eyes burn? Two solid days of being confined to a meeting room for strategic planning with all the company officers. Good grief! Too much close interaction and intense conversation. I'm not used to it. Anyway we did stay at a beautiful inn and spa on the ocean in Saybrook Point. Last night I was out to dinner til 10 PM with the group, I hardly slept because I sometimes have problems sleeping in hotels-especially after a heavy, late dinner- and I was up at 5 for a long walk on the causeway with one of my co-workers. I could get used to walking that route every morning-views of Long Island sound with sea mist in my face...many gardens in bloom.

Dinner will be ready in 5 minutes then I have to quickly water the pots on the patio and head up to bed.

ZZZZZZ,

Sue

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good evening

Eden - lovely plants and containers. Now how many are you up to this year?

Marian - so glad Trubby is doing a little better. Hope it continues. Regarding the constant drinking of soda I too would be concerned, for both weight gain and tooth decay. I grew up without ever having soda and as a result, have never developed a taste for it. I hoped that might be the same for Annie and David - we only have it in the house when company visits. However, its gone the other way - to the two of them pop is like the nectar of the Gods LOL! Snacks in our house are limited to fruit, yoghurt, cheese etc. As I don't buy anything with Gluten choices are limited. However, picking bits out of the salad at your grand daughters age is par for the course. I just hope they were polite!

T - glad you had such a fun day with the monster machines and wonderful news that you DD's pregnancy is progressing so well.

Michelle - I love seeing the difference rain can make in the garden. THe plants really can tell the difference.

Ei - I never guessed you were a biker chick!! Are there any tattooes to share at IU3? The last time I was on a motor bike was with college boyfriend, some 20 some years ago. It was fun then, but now I'd be terrified.

Deanne - I got a chuckle about tacking dirt and vacuuming. In our house there are many culprits when it comes to not wiping feet, number one the dog! It sounds as if you got a lot done. I bailed yesterday when David arrived home and we went strawberry picking instead - a much more enjoyable activity. I had to hustle this morning to make up though.

Lunch today was fun. The weather was perfect, sunny with a breeze. The food came out well, the gardens were strolled through and the Koi fed. It was a very pleasant get together. If I do end up getting the other job I'll really miss the colleagues I work with now. We've been together 5 years and have become a tight group. As an end of year present our team leader gave me a beautiful hand blown glass plate with flowers of different colored glass. Its lovely.

Hope V is feeling better and Hi to everyone I might have missed (Cindy, Suzy, Honey, Sue)

I wonder if the guys (or the blokes as we'd say in England) will ever check in again. I think I saw Blackie over on the Gallery. I'm still hoping David will make it to IU3.

Time to hear my David's guitar pieces - gotta run

Mary

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Honey I'm so glad Tom is better-boy alot of idyll illness-between Tom,Eden and V-odd that it's at this time of year. So does he look really svelt? I hope his energy isn't zapped-sometimes with that quick of a loss it takes a while to get back on track.

we got more rain yesterday: ) No severe storms like they said-at least here.I think someone lost a tree down the road-not sure if the wind did it. It did kick up as the storm approached and of course I was wrestling with the flag but couldn't get the pole out of the holder. All I could envision was me getting zapped by lightening while holding a metal pole. At the last minute it came loose and I high tailed it indoors but then it became just a plain rain shower. My plants are happy and I am too.

Yay Ei!!!!You'll be a *MIL*! Congrats to your family-you always sound so cheerful about your DS's GF-oops soon DF(Dear Fiance!)that's so nice that you two seem to have a bond-it sure helps down the line: ) BTW not that it matters but Chris chose to have his band in white gold with alternating blue sapphires and diamonds. He often gets compliments on it. Blue Sapphire is his birthstone so that's why he went with it. Your discussion about traditional/nontraditional is interesting because my rings were an heirloom from a friend of Chris' family(we couldn't afford much other wise)and it's in a very traditional setting-I was a little disappointed that it wasn't more cutting edge but ten yrs. after we were married all the wedding mags had rings very similar to what I have-those styles come and go so I decided what I have is just fine.

Deanne-sorry but Doug's antics had me cracking a smile-MEN!lol. I don't know how I did it,but both kids and Chris all take their shoes off when entering the house! I just love clogs for easy on and off...maybe Doug needs some clogs; ) I guess he would still have to remember to take them off!

Deanne I doubt the neighbors think you're cracked for wearing a hat in the garden...now maybe the fact that we are always IN the garden might be a factor-don't you think?? I always feel self conscious because sometimes I need to stand there and stare at a spot to decide what plant should go where(you know *visualize*) and I know I have to look wacky doing that for long repeated moments.
    I thought I was doing so well in the aching back dept. but now I know why--I haven't done any serious digging until today. Ugh my bum hurts-it's that durn sciatica.

I'm happy Sue and T showed up again!

Sue you sound zonked-get your Z's then come back; ) I'm not good at hotel sleeping either-the beds just never feel like mine at home.

T! I was getting worried about you-good that your DD is getting close to the safe delivery zone. Always a worry with multiples. How is she feeling?
    And I hope you get your energy back quick-Sorry about your cold!
    I have personally never used Preen-but I'm not big on any chemicals normally. I like to hand weed(nuts I am)so that's what I do. If you've already mulched you might find that those weeds are easy to pull-but of course I'm not seeing the volume of weeds you have either: ) I get mushrooms too but as soon as things dry out they die away but I don't do anything to them because they are just part of the breaking down process. I probably haven't said a thing you wanted to hear-huh lol.

Michelle I was freaking too when I heard hail might be coming but we didn't get any. I actually made barricades for some of my containers-just to be sure. Tomorrow more bad weatehr is expected-possibly hail again. Ah summer.
    Aha! I bet you WILL plant more containers; ) Hey you're an idyll;this kind of thing happens. That's neat that you have the same plant taste as Eden!Nice choices for your both.
    I've decided that I need to wait to make any containers until mid summer because you all come up with great plant combos after I've completed mine.
    You crack me up with you and Rick in the pouring rain....for fuel!-good one,Michelle: )

Eden-what nice containers you put together!!Thanks for the pics. I like your fav one too-that square pot is fun and it coordinates well with the plants! Actually I still think all the pots look fantastic.
    You could never be sappy-I like that song line-it really is like that!

Mary your luncheon sounded very pleasant. I bet you'll still stay in touch with your work friends if you move on? I have to say I am looking forward to having co-workers up at school to get to know. I was taken back by how excited the school secretary was that I'd be on board in fall. I guess I've been isolated too long!
    I was wondering how much David is gardening these days.

Well,my caboose is aching so I better find the Motrin...

'night!
    ~Babs (yikes too long of a post?)

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Happy first day of summer everyone!

And a beautiful day it is going to be here. It is supposed to be in the low 80s with nice dry air. The T storms went through last night but we didnt get any here. We could just see the light show north of here and south of here. Now I know you arent going to believe this but Id really have liked to get a bit of beneficial rain from that. Several days in the 90s and windy have left the raised beds and terraces dry again. After doing some serious work yesterday Ive realized that I have some total blank spots here in the gardens this time of the year. Just before the early daylilies and Asiatic lilies open there isnt a lot else going on. The iris and peonies are finishing up and other than some astilbe and clematis there isnt much color. Im stumped as to how to rearrange things and what to add to perk up end of June. Give it a week or so though and things will be looking better. Last year I replaced several of my Stella dOro with a pink cultivar (name escapes me at the moment) as that color will do better but the down side is that they are going to be a week or two behind Stella in starting to bloom and I always really needed those early daylilies to fill this late June flower void. Such a dilemma! LOL

Babs, you so crack me up! Yep I also stand staring off into the borders trying to figure out what needs changing or attention. Even the UPS man told me the other day that he got tired seeing me working when he drives by every day. It is pretty bad when the UPS man notices you outside in the gardens all the time. LOL I used to be bothered by what the neighbors thought of the excessive amounts of time I spend in the gardens but one of the benefits of getting older is that I just dont care what they think anymore. ~~ So sorry about your back acting up. What a drag. Fortunately mine has been doing really well lately. As long as I keep up with my ab workouts I normally dont have any back pain.

Sue, great to have you back. I was wondering where you were off to. I guess I didnt realize your meetings were off site. ~~ I took some pics this AM and have on of your banana. Its finally starting to put some growth on with the hotter weather weve had the last week. Im thinking it will be a shade tree by the end of the summer. LOL

Eden I really love those containers! Do you keep your wire vine over winter or do you find it in the nurseries every year. Im only asking because I can never find it here. Ive also not been able to find any rex begonias if you can imagine. Im getting a bit sick of going to a nursery and just seeing huge baskets of petunias and impatiens. Not that I dont like them but Id like to see some more interesting choices for my pots. ~~ Have you grown that P Mona Lavender before? This is my first year with it and Im in love! It has put on a non stop show for a month and they are just getting bigger and better. They seem to be a seriously low maintenance container plant. ~~ If you dont mind my asking what are the coleus in that third container? And what is that tall smaller leaved plant in the back? Marvelous! I love your use of begonias in your containers. ~~ Speaking of container gardens, Im actually thinking of making a booklet with photographs and plant IDs of all my container combinations from this year and selling it on my web site. You never know, it might just sell well. Container gardens are becoming more and more popular.

Michelle, I KNEW IT! I just knew youd do another couple containers. They multiply when you arent looking and the next thing you know youve got them everywhere. So what do your new unique containers look like? Inquiring minds would like to know. Also, what did you get for a fuchsia. Upright? Trailing? ~~ How fantastic Rick did some cleanup. Id pass out cold if Doug did that. Hes a wonderful guy but he simply does not SEE dirt, ever. I have a much lower tolerance to living in a mess than he does so I always wind up doing the cleanup.

T great to hear from you. So sorry you have a cold. What a bummer. I sure hope you get well soon. ~~ Im looking forward to seeing pics of Jamie enjoying all the big machines.

Cindy, great to hear youve finally gotten some rain. ~~ Interesting about the short lilies. Ive got a couple Lollypop Asiatics that did the same thing this year. No clue as to why.

Marian, glad to hear Trubby is doing better.

Eden, I like your idea of planting new delphs every year so you always have some mature ones putting on a show. If I ever get that new area in the front prepared I need to try that. That area is full sun and theyd probably do well there.

Well Im off to look at some pics I took early this AM and then get to the gym. Ill post a couple of photos if theres anything worth sharing.

Enjoy the day all,
    Deanne

• wendy2
    17 years ago

"Oh, what a beautiful morning..."

It really is! The humidity is gone; I wish I had the day off! DH turned off the AC and opened some windows before he left for work. I'm grateful to have the AC when it gets hot and humid, but I like the fresh air so much better. School ends this week, the teachers are cleaning out so the kids are bringing home tons of stuff. I have two piles in my dining room that are growing at an alarming rate!

Ei, I think it was you that asked what the flower was in the BD pic for Da. It is a passiflora (passion flower) that we saw at Logees in January (yeah, I'm guilty of recycling pictures). Logees is a wonderful greenhouse in CT that grows all kinds of tropicals, and Martie organized a tour of the place for some of us New Englanders in January. What a perfect time to go there - to see all that color and lushness when everything outside is in black and white.

T, you asked about Preen - it could be useful depending on the type of weeds you have. Preen works by keeping seeds from germinating, so it would work on annual weeds like oxalis or crabgrass. Anything that is perennial would not be affected. I've used it in places where I've disturbed a large amount of soil and I suspect that weed seeds would germinate.

Eden, your containers are beautiful! I especially like the last one - I love the way the colors in the plants pick up the container color.

Deanne, I haven't been able to find unusual annuals much this year either. It seems like the "same old same old" everywhere I go. As far as delphiniums, I have a strain called Connecticut Yankees and they've been around for at least 4 years. They are not as tall as some others, and the flowers are looser, but they are reliable for me (so far!).

Babs, love that Phygelius aequalis - the stems are awesome. I'll have to look for that one. My Phygelius 'Moonraker' is soft yellow - I'll get a pic when it blooms.

Taryn, glad you finalized everything on the house. When is the big moving day?

Hope those that weren't feeling well are better today.

Happy first day of summer everyone!

-Wendy

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

T good to hear from you so sorry youre another one under the weather hope you feel better soon. But glad to hear your DD & the twins are doing well lots of things to look forward to soon.

Ei maybe if you think about a second career, you should look along the lines of working for a local paper, magazine or something like that? Youre such a terrific writer & come up w/ such wonderful, positive subjects.

Eden gorgeous containers!!! Very artistic & I love the unusual containers themselves as well.

Marian re the GDs and their eating habits I will say in your sons defense that watching my own brothers experience w/ his girls & sharing custody w/ his ex when there are 2 households & 2 different parenting styles involved, its exceeding hard to get the eating habits & junk food thing under control. My nieces suffer from the same problems you talk about & despite my brothers efforts, the other household "rules".... all you can do is point out healthier styles when theyre of the age to absorb the info -- & hope at some point in the future theyll remember it & change. Otherwise, you cant do much theyll have to learn later.

Babs I forgot to mention previously that that is one very cool bug!

Good to hear from other Idyllers checking in. I cant believe the IU is only 1 month away wow. Sure hope you can make it somehow, Deanne & Eden! Its going to be about 90 here today but lower humidity (aah, less frizz for the hair) & will go out at lunch to check it out.

--Cindy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your input on my GD's eating habits.
    Cindy, your niece's case is espacially applicable to my GD's situation.
    In fact it sounds identical. I feel so sorry for all the children who are in such torn-up families.

It is extremely humid here, and heading for near 90 temps.I am suffering from it and Will be setting in front of/beneath fans all day.

I am so sorry for those who have summer flu. AC is not much help in that condition.

No good news about Trubby, except the harsh breathing has stopped. Yesterday morning he came up to the livingroom door and wanted out. He spent the entire day outside moving from place to place, and drinking water. I brought him back into the utility room last evening.He is still in there.He still will not eat.

Things are blooming all around, but I am afraid I'm not in the mood to enjoy them very much. The large Rose of Sharon back of our house is coming into full bloom. Purple coneflowers are blooming. My Henri clem has new flowers. Lots of other pretty things, espacially the containers on the deck.

UPS delivered my new computer yesterday evening.I read the hook-up instructions, and might be able to do it if my arthritis wasn't giving me such a hard time. Just getting it all out of the boxes would be a chore. :-(
    Cooler drier air is on the way. Maybe I will feel better when it arrives.

Sorry that I am so gloomy!

Marian

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

On a funnier note, I got this request this a.m. -- they want their pots watered while they're on vacation...... what would you do to accomplish this?

{{gwi:163761}}

-- Pretty challenging, dont you think?

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

I've not uploaded any photos yet, just don't have the energy. I will be away from the computer most of today also so probably won't get it done for awhile. I have been emailing a few each day to DH at work, but that is easier than having to upload them to PT. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll work on it. Just didn't want you to think I wasn't going to follow through (it is so important, I know LOL).

Darn cold is still dragging on. It has dampened my appetite which is wonderful, needed and welcomed. It has also dampened any thoughts of doing anything physical though so a catch-22.

The sun is shining this morning, looks like it is going to be nice here for the next 4 or 5 days.

Wendy & Babs, thanks for the input on Preen. I don't mind weeding by hand and there aren't that many weeds popping up yet, but I'm getting horsetail/snake grass showing up which has a tendency to run rampant and very hard to eradicate here. I was wondering if the Preen would kill it off before it actually got a foothold. I would guess, from what Wendy shared, that it wouldn't be effective for those weeds.

'bug has been quiet......hope all is well with her and she didn't get stuck in the dentist chair.

Ei, congrats on getting closer to being a mother-in-law. Yep, MIL.......a title that sent shock waves through me when I realized I was going to have that label tied to my life.

Guess I should get moving out of this chair and on with my errands/chores.

My best to all......

T.

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Happy First Day of Summer, though you'd never know it by the weather we're having, only 61F here, and rainy with lots of thunder bangers. That's ok though, I can almost see the plants growing and getting greener. They sure know the difference between rain and the sprinkler. I have Bella today so we'll probably stick close to home and try to get some household chores done, like laundry...

Mary, I was afraid someone was going to ask that question. So I went out and counted and have 51 container gardens that I put together this year. But...if you want to know how many actual pots I'm watering out there, lets just say it's well over 200. There's all of the tropicals, the cannas, bananas, elephant ears, fuschias, dahlias, the houseplants that are vacationing outdoors, the pots in the ghetto, etc.

Deanne, I haven't overwintered a wire vine but I must try harder to keep some of this stuff alive through next winter. It's just too expensive to purchase it all every year. The coleus you asked about in the container garden are Elfers on the left and Mr. Wonderful on the right. The plant in front in a flame leaf euphorbia and the one in back with the small green leaves is lemon verbena. I had the plectranthus mona lavendar last year too and it does seem pretty easy to grow and I bet it would be easy to overwinter too though I didn't. What a great idea for you to make up a book of your container garden combos. I bet it would be a best seller.

Sue, I had forgotten that you were going out of town for a couple of days and wondered why it was so quiet from you. Hope you got a good nights sleep last night.

Marian, I'm so excited that you have your new computer. I hope you really like it and don't have any trouble with the set up. Poor Trubby, I can tell that you're really worried about him.

Babs, hope your bum's better today.

I wish Marie would check in. She's been quiet for a few days now and I remember she wasn't feeling well before that.

Drier just buzzed so I'm off to fold and start another load. Doesn't look like there'll be any gardening going on here today. It's pouring out there right now.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Cindy, lol. I'd pray for rain. I hope that's not going to be me someday with all those pots.

T, sorry to hear that you're still not feeling better. Don't worry about posting the pics, we'll still be here whenever you feel better and get around to it. The best thing you can do right now is drink lots of fluids and get lots of rest.

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

In The Good Old Summertime

There's a time in each year that we always hold dear,
    Good old summertime.
    With the birds and the trees and sweet scented breezes,
    Good old summertime.

When your day's work is over then you are in clover,
    And life is one beautiful rhyme,
    No trouble annoying, each one is enjoying
    The good old summertime.

In the good old summertime,
    Strolling through the shady lanes with that baby of mine
    You hold her hand and she holds yours,
    And that's a very good sign,
    That she's your tootsey-wootsey

Oh to swim in the pool you'd play hooky from school
    Good old summer time
    You would play "ring-a-rosie" with Jim, Kate and Josie
    Good old summer time
    Those are days full of pleasure we now fondly treasure
    When we never thought it a crime
    To go stealing cherries with face brown as berries
    In the good old summer time

Written by Ren Shields (1902).
    Music by George Evans

Extremely humid here today with a 70% chance of rain, but isnt hot.

Babs, great that you got rain (without hail) I had hail last fall which wasnt so bad since it was more at the end of the gardening season, but this would be too soon.

Deanne, the new containers are glazed and sit in a wrought iron stand about a foot off the ground. You asked Eden about the wire vine, I kept mine last year easily. Your container book is such a great idea.

Eden, you make the most incredible containers. I really like both the containers and the combos. The garden shed project has been put on hold. Right now I am concentrating my energies on planting and hardscaping the veggie garden, which is about done. I am posting a picture today of the outside. You can see the new window on the end. Notice my puny delphs in front.

Marian, it sounds like things are looking pretty in your yard. Sorry you arent able to handle the computer setup. Is there someone local that will do it or at least get it out of the boxes for you?

Mary, your lunch sounds like it was very enjoyable.

Cindy, that is quite the picture. Ill bet they dry out quickly since they are rather small.

Ill leave you with a couple of container pictures.

{{gwi:163762}}

{{gwi:163764}}

{{gwi:163766}}

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

"Oh, what a beautiful day...I've got this wonderful feeling everything's going my way!" Hi Wendy! :-) Well, actually some might not call today a beautiful day here, unless they were a gardener! We had a little rain last night and we are having soft, gentle showers, on and off here this a.m. and Im just about done mulching! Well, maybe I cheated a little Babs! ;-)

Marian I am so sorry about Trubby, I hope he bounces back. It is supposed to be hot and muggy here too today, but Im just going to get through it because I love the rains it is bringing with it! So then, did you get in under the wire with the Medicare program? We got my mom in on time and there will definitely be some benefits, but there are a few of her meds that are really only pennies cheaper than before and we had to get her doc to contact medicare to get them to cover one of her meds., an antidepressant. Hope you had a good time at your Tues. meeting (I forgot the name of your group). I know you always look forward to that. Are the kids still in visiting you with DS or have they headed home already? I bet you really enjoyed having the company. Did you decide on a computer yet? (I see now that you answered that question) Can you get DS to come back and install it for you?

Mary Sounds like a pleasant day with your colleagues. I bet they just loved walking through your garden and what a thoughtful gift from your team leader. I imagine your koi are getting pretty big now? The one remaining (Alvin) from the heron debacle is really huge and just gorgeous...I cant wait for you to meet him! :-) I have 3 small ones I purchased over the spring to keep him company. I have not done the line thing that you recommended. I am going to start fresh that way next spring. Im just keeping the "cage" on, unless someone comes to visit. I only named *one* of the new fish (Freckles) as Im a little afraid to get too attached again. I *never* want to lose another fish the way I lost the others, though I know it can/may happen. Its just so upsetting. Biker chic, I definitely am not...LOL! But I *use* to like riding on the motorcycle and when Paul and I first met he taught me how to drive his 350 Honda, but I mostly just rode it in empty parking lots. :-) Oh...almost forgot to tell you. Dotty and I went to see The Prairie Home Companion yesterday. *I * really liked it and so did Dotty. The kind of movie that leaves you feeling good...it was so warm, graceful and homey....funny too...glad I saw it. I think I was born at the wrong time...LOL!

Speaking of which Babs, I meant to say the other day..."Yes!" I most definitely wear a helmet, though Paul does not, which upsets me greatly (they are not required here in Illinois). He only wears one when he is going for a long ride, which is so *stupid* because statistics show that most accidents happen just minutes from your home. As you can see the helmet thing is a bone of contention here. Thanks for the congrats. I dont know that the DF :-) and I really have a bond in fact, I wasnt sure if she even liked me...LOL! But I feel better knowing that she wanted me to help DS, at least she doesnt *dislike* me! :-) Shes a nice girl and I would like *anyone* who makes my son happy! :-) We are definitely different personalities, she and I, although we both talk too much...LOL! She is much more outspoken than I am, but I kind of admire that about her and she seems to have a good heart. I do worry about being a MIL. I hope I do okay with it.

Deanne I *love* hats, but most of them do not love me. My head is too big! Well, its not really my head, its this bushy mop of hair Ive got that makes my head so fat. I agree totally about saving your skin. Im not one for tanning, although my arms get tan even with sunscreen. My face doesnt usually tan (unless you count age spots...LOL) as my hair must be like a hat protecting my face and my legs dont tan, but then again they hardly ever see the light of day!

Yowzer Cindy...thats UNBELIEVABLE! I can't even *imagine* taking care of something like that. Hope they get a lot of rain...LOL! Thanks about the writing. I wish I *could* do that, but no one would consider me Im afraid...I dont have a bachelors degree (only a associates in horticulture) and no one it seems will even look at you without a BD. Laughed about your lilies! I have a strange lily thing going on too. I had a plan for lilies in what was once was my kitchen garden. I picked yellow, red, purple, pink and orange (each in their only little planting square - it's a formal bed)....all the same variety, all supposed to bloom the same time, and all *supposed* to be the same height or just an inch or so in difference. The purples are not really purple and only about a foot tall and blooming. The orange & the red are about the same height, but only the reds are blooming, the pinks are doing nothing and the yellow ones are many feet taller than the rest! Grrr...the best laid plans. Oh well, maybe they will all get in synch by next year! :-)

Eden your containers are magnificent (okay originally I said gorgeous, then used the thesaurus...LOL)! What is that pretty kind of fuchsia colored plant in the first pic? I *love* how you co-ordinate the pot color with the plantings...very clever! Love that plectranthus in the 2nd pic. You must have great nurseries out by you - you always find the neatest things. But I think my favorite planting is your last one. I *love* how the color of that pot *exactly* matches the foliage of some of the plants in the container with the bright greens adding the perfect contrast...stunning!

T Im so glad you dropped in, though Im sorry to hear about the cold. Glad to hear the babies are doing well...Twins...that is so exciting! We had twins in church on Sunday and they were so adorable...every time the one would coo, the other would and every time one would cry, the 2nd would join in. They were so much fun to watch! :-) I bet Jamie had a blast at the auction. Definitely share pictures when you can...I love little smiling faces! :-)

Thanks everyone for the congrats. I am happy for DS.

Hi Sue! Glad you popped in!

Hi V! Hope youre feeling better today.

Wonder if Maries company has arrived, whether the delphiniums survived the storm (sure hope so) and how the dentist visit went.

P.S. Michelle...I smiled when you talked about how things have perked up! Isnt it amazing what a little rain can do? It is raining again right now - and I am typing this with a big smile on my face!

TTYL! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Whoo Hoo Michelle...your containers are lovely! Is that that 'Sweet Caroline' (or something like that) Potato Vine like you had last year? I love the combination! Is that 'Illustrius' in the pot? I love it with the geranium (?) in the same foliage echo...how cool!

Your shed (I *think* it's your shed anyway) looks too fabulous to be a shed! Bravo! It turned out *beautiful*! I love the way you leaned that piece of gate up against it...what a nice touch...*and* the shutters...and the colors! I imagine it was a lot of work...but you must be pleased with the way it turned out. Hey, would you like to renovate my old shed?...LOL! :-)

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Can you all tell that I'm trapped inside today by the weather. This is my third post this morning, lol.

Michelle, your containers are beautiful. I love your use of the fancy leaf geraniums in them. I'm trying a few of them in my containers this year too. Love that canna too. I want your shed. It's just perfect! I've been keeping an eye out for an old gate like the one you have leaning up against the wall for quite a while now but no luck as of yet. Your paint colors, and all of the decorations you have around your shed are SO COOL! Oh, the plants look great too, lol. Using Eileen as my thesaurus I'd say it's just magnificent!

Ei, I do have a few nurseries close by that offer a great selection of tropical stuff and I mailordered quite a bit too plus picked up anything I found over the winter that I thought would work in one of my containers. I spent quite a bit of time collecting things for the container gardens this year which was great fun. I'm not sure which plant you're asking about in the first container. In that one I have the euphorbia burgundy wine, coleus alabama sunset, heuchera peach melba, the wire vine and the green plant in the back is orthosiphon which will eventually get white blooms that are supposed to look like cat's whiskers, which is why I couldn't resist it. I think you'll make a great MIL by the way!

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention that we still need to put green trim around the window and shutters. The area in front of the rose was empty this year because the edging of lamb's ear died out. I'm not sure what to put there so I planted pink and white annuals for this year. The white ornaments are the hose guides that I got this spring so cheap.

Deanne, the fuschia is an upright Diva Neon & White.

Eden, Rick's dad gave the gate to me. I actually have 2 others each different but all old. Another from Rick's dad and one from my dad. The one from my dad has spikes on the top and as kids they would climb over it. I guess gramma was always afraid that they would get hurt.

Ei, that container is yours and Deanne's area. Your dahlia is planted near it also. That is the 'Illustris' that you sent me and the coleus on the right is from Deanne. Yes, that is Sweet Carolina Bronze. I have overwintered that one for 2 winters now. It is easier for some reason than the black or chartruese ones. I see there are more now in the Sweet Carolina series.

Later
    Michelle

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Well, for the first day of summer, this sure is a bust. Im sitting in the house with my jacket on! I went out this am in my shorts and t-shirt, got wet and havent been able to warm up since. Its still 63 outside Hello, weatherman, look outside!

T-storms, many of them heavy, have been blowing through one after another. Were still supposed to get some severe weather with high winds, damaging hail, etc. The plants are lovin the rain tho.

Deanne, the photo of you at the wedding was wonderful. Look how skinny you are! And you look great in a hat. I dont so I rarely wear them. The wedding sounded like quite a party. Glad you and Doug had a great time.

The Alliums you commented on earlier in the thread are behind my BB. Ruth has some, too in her back garden and theyre a nice complement both ways. And I agree with you, Babs and others that commented on having wonderful plants and design elements from next door to enhance our gardens. As always, Ruth has outdone herself. Shes such an inventive gardener. She said she might pop in here and say Hi. Hope she does.

Eden, your containers are so inventive and different. I just love them. Hmmmm, 200 containers/plants to water. I thot I was bad with 20! OK, heres my pot of leftovers:

{{gwi:163769}}

And heres the pot with my Japanese Morning Glory:

{{gwi:163771}}

Michelle, what a transformation your shed has undergone! I cant believe its the same building you showed us last yr. I really love your container combos, too. You know, its too bad we all live so far apart. I think we could start a business: "Containers Only" and make a fortune. I never see any combos near as nice at our nurseries.

Marian, Im wondering if Trubby has caught a virus. When Bullet was horribly ill 4 yrs. ago, the vet told me there are countless unidentified feline viruses out there. Im very concerned that Trubby is not eating. When cats dont feel well, they wont eat. To get Bullet thru his month-long bout with some horrid virus, I held him on my lap, put his food on my finger and fed it to him. If I had to and often I did, Id put it on the roof of his mouth, so hed have to eat it and get some nourishment. I also had to give him fluids with a syringes or dropper. Just like people, its vitally important they get food and water. BTW, Im reading the answers to your question on kids, junk food and pop with interest. It seems to be a universal problem. My DD is having the same issue with my GD. She finally got her DH on the same page, but it was a struggle.

Cindy, we have similar issues with our homeowners assn. DH is now on the board. Mostly our board only does something in response to someones complaint. From time to time, we have some folks who have nothing better to do with their time than write complaint letters. So sad.

Sue, I was commiserating as I read your offsite. They are intense. But it sounds like it was held in a great place. Hope youve gotten some rest.

Babs, I love, love, love the ant you made with the kids. You are so creative! Tell me, will it have a prominent place in your garden?

Taryn, Im hoping your sale/purchase is coming along as expected and all is well.

GB, V,T, hope youre feeling better. And I hope its not the same nasty virus thats going around here.

Ei, your biker boy doesnt wear a helmet? You must be beside yourself! I would be. Around here, the Drs. call May the start of "donor season" (all the young, mostly male, helmetless riders in accidents). A friend of mine used that to get her DS to wear a helmet. Perhaps that might work for you.

OK, we were talking about dwarf lilies. Somehow these dont look like Dwarf Red Lilies to me:

{{gwi:163775}}

The yellow one is a dwarf, but Lollypop, and the other one sure arent. Sheesh. Then there is the other end of the spectrum. This area is just about to burst into bloom. These are LA Lillies but this year theyre way over my head! Its like theyre on steroids.

{{gwi:163777}}

Well, gotta run and pick up Bullet from the groomer. Hi to all. TTYL.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Yeah! I caught up!

I am well and sorry anyone worried. The detist is actually on holiday in British Columbia and I was just having a routine tooth cleaning and xrays.

Company comes friday night. I have put in 2 solid garden work days and things are about 1/2 done. Much improved but no photos. I hope I can accomplish more tomorrow, but at some point I must cook and clean!

DH has been so stressed. In fact get this. One of the people invited to dinner Friday
    1. Did not respond TWICE when invited.
    2. Asked DH what the purpose of the dinner was.
    3. Asked who else was invited.
    4. Said he'd ask his wife
    5. Still has not responded.

Do you get the inkling that he doesn't want to come? That there just might be an element of rudeness involved? I'm furious. I refuse to believe this is a cultural difference. The man has worked with DH for years! People!

I am so tired that I simply can't respond to all the things here I'd like to. Please don't think I am rude too!

DH is out on "death squad duty". 3 dead groundhogs to deal with, one in front of the mailbox....Poor DH!

The delphiniums are still OK. ;)

'bug

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Just a quickie so you all know I'm still alive! Stayed home yesterday but went to work today for a "short" day of "only" 8 hours. I've taken two naps since I've been home and still feel whipped! I'm catching up on reading - you guys (Hi Ei!) get chatty when I turn my back for a minute.

Marian, I could echo a lot of what the other "mean moms" in this group have said about snacks and soda. I never encouraged a lot of soda drinking but my son started drinking a lot of Pepsi when he was in middle school. He was also carrying just a little extra weight - not fat but he had those "love handles". Anyway, one day on his own he decided to give up all pop and in about a month he dropped twenty pounds! Never drank much pop after that and never regained the weight. But he had to decide on his own. There's a limit to what a parent can do because after a while they can get whatever they want outside of your control, so you just try and give them the right influences and hope it sticks.

Since I snuck home early, I "caught" DD and a friend in the act of baking cookies. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 2 teens were listening to my Darden Smith CD! And the cookies weren't bad, either...

Gonna crash now,

V.

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

A little scary(embarrassing)to post this-the garage needs a major paint job but I wanted to share my gate with you Michelle. It's an old one too from Chris' grandma. I haven't been able to figure out what to do creatively with it so in the meantime I decided to lean it against the garage-I was thrilled to see you did the same!
    I completely love how your garden shed looks these days!! It's charming!(now I'm coughing because my thesaurus is quite dusty...; )
    {{gwi:163779}}
    I see I have too many garden art items in the same area...I tend to put a bunch of things down then take away what doesn't look right...haven't had a moment to 'take away' lol.
    Cindy-notice the blue tarp: )

Good gracious,Honey I want your tuteur! I can't wait to see how it looks when the MG's are covering the whole thing!
    Nice 'dwarf' red lilies lol-I have some questionable ones too-we'll see once they open. THis is my first year growing lilies. I have an asiatic that's just going to open and an 'Easter' lily that I thought was in too much shade and dampness yet it's going to town with two blooming stalks(in a couple weeks I think)

That V is such a mean mom!We gotta stick together: )
    Now go gorge yourself on cookies...

Tomorrow Ryan finally gets his eyes checked for lazy eye-hope it goers smoothly.

I am psyched-we just booked a cabin for Hocking Hills. I so need a vacation! Not till Aug though.

Oh well,big thunder boomers coming this way-the heavens are rumbling better shut down.

BOOM!
    ~Babs

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Just a quick post to say, Babs that looks like a picture straight out of Country Living magazine. I LOVE your gate! I'm very jealous of both you and Michelle. I'm going to have to step up my search, lol.

Hi Marie. Glad to hear you've just been busy getting ready for your company.

Once again my little Bella has exhausted me so Good Night to you all...

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Honey, your leftovers look darn good together. What an interesting obelisk.

Babs, thanks for the picture. What a fabulous gate! Isnt so special to be from family? I agree with Eden about a picture straight from Country Living. I love the brick path with the gate, they just go together.

We went to a fundraising supper tonight for the grandkids school. Ricks DD asked me to bring fresh flower centerpieces for the 2 tables she was responsible for decorating. No one else had fresh flowers and they were quite impressed that I "grew" these.

Night
    Michelle

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

Well, I spoke too soon and jinxed us with my drooling over the weather yesterday. We are supposed to get T storms this afternoon (probably the ones Babs was dealing with yesterday) and then it is supposed to rain for the next week! Arrrrggghhhh!!!!! Im teaching this weekend so it isnt a total disaster except that it is going to ruin anything that is blooming right now. The weather guy on NECN is saying that some areas are going to get another foot of rain in the next week. Give me a break! We are supposed to get into that tropical feed again. Why cant it go to the deep south where they are desperate for rain. Have you all seen the news about that brush fire in Tampa, FL? It was lit by lightening and has burned a hundred acres so far. That is Florida, incredible.

Wendy, it really is too bad you didnt have the day off yesterday. Im looking forward to getting my Phygelius cuttings. Yea, a new plant for my collection.

Cindy! Oh my goodness! Id like to know how on earth they water those plants. At end of summer theyd need water twice a day Yikes!

Marian, I cant believe your Rose of Sharon is already blooming. Mine is going to be early this year and is just now setting buds. It greened up a month sooner this year than the last two so it will be blooming when the Oriental lilies and burgundy daylily are blooming which is what Id planned when I planted them together.

T, sorry you are still under the weather. DD has a cold too. The worst cold I ever had was a summer cold that turned into pneumonia. Take care of yourself and get better soon.

Eden, wow, fifty container gardens is amazing but 200 pots to water? Yikes! How long does it take you to water those in the morning? I think youve got me beat there. Sorry your weather was so yukky yesterday. I hope you get some better gardening weather soon. ~~ So do we get to see any more of your 50 container gardens?

Michelle, those new containers sound fantastic. I love things in wrought iron stands. Im loving all your photos. Your garden shed is just fantastic! I love the gate leaning on the side of the shed. Ive been wanting to find a wall grille for the side of my shed for a while but maybe I need to find an old gate. That combination of delphinium and lilies is just gorgeous and that pink bench next to the rose Wonderful! Thanks for sharing these. ~~ So what did you have for your flower arrangements?

Eileen, I have a hard time finding a hat to fit my hair because I wear it in a bun. I always have to get an extra large hat and even some of those dont fit over that bump on the back of my head. ~~ Id not be a happy person if my DH didnt wear a helmet on a donorcycle.

Honey, that pot of leftovers looks like you planned it that way. What is the canna in that arrangement? Also that pot with the obelisk is awesome! I cant wait to see that covered with blossoms. How tall is it? ~~ I really hope Ruth pops in here. Id love to hear from her. Actually, Id really love to come for a visit to see all your gardens again. LOL

Bug, thanks for checking in. Glad to hear you are OK.

V, what kind of cookies were they?

Babs, I absolutely love that vignette on your garage. I think that gate needs to stay there. I dont think you have too many garden things in that area. I like it just the way it is.

OK time to get outside and water the containers then off to the gym then I have to get a bunch of stuff staked before the rains arrive this weekend. Im working Fri, Sat and Sun so I need to get it done today. Im thinking Im going to pick a bunch of things that wont survive the deluges that are predicted. Have a great day all.

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Well it looks like it's going to be a beautiful day here as soon as it dries up a little. The sun is shining and the birds are singing. Just took a walk through the garden and though everything is flopping a bit from the rains we had yesterday things are looking pretty good. I'm seeing some chewing on some of my plants in the garden and the containers though, don't know if it's the slugs or the earwigs, probably a little of both. Hopefully Bella and I will be able to spend most of the day outside though we do have a chance for thunderstorms to pop up later. Yesterday was sure a day of great pictures here on the Idylls. I didn't even mind it was raining because everytime I checked in there were more neat things to see from all of your gardens. Time for coffee and then lots to do around here! Have a good day everyone...Eden

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone. First, let me say I am sorry I missed the birthdays. I have just been going cookoo bird hereI took pictures to post, but there were so many weeds in the pictures it was a pathetic excuse(hows that for an adjective?) for a greeting when compared to everyone elses. I have been really enjoying all of your though! All the combo pots, and nicely groomed beds give me something to strive for, but I dont know if it will happen this year. I have been really busy trying to keep up with the weeds, work on the wedding, sending out resumes, selling houses, and so on..I get up at 4:45, go to work, get home at 8 or 9PM. By that time it is getting darkwait, maybe I should take nighttime garden pictures no weeds in those
    I do have one little spot I wanted to show you. Please ignore the ongoing projects in the backdrop. These pots are sitting on what will someday in the who know when future be my greenhouse made out of the old windows stacked in the back by the burner. We only have the floor down, and I thought I might as well use it as a sort of deck. This grouping looks a lot better in real life, but wanted to show you anyway. You can't see it in this picture, but my Brugmansia has a bloom! I am so excited. This will be the first one I have ever had.

{{gwi:163781}}
    And I wanted show you a close up of this pot, because I really like this coleus, coco loco.
    {{gwi:163783}}

I will tell you something funny that happened to me last week. I got up and went to the gym before work. It opens at 5:30. I packed my gym bag with all the necessities to go straight to work. Excercised, took a shower, started to get dressed.guess what? I forgot my underwear at home, which was ½ hour in the wrong direction. I was sitting in the Walmart parking lot when they opened at 7. I was only 15minutes late to work, but I did have on my foundation garments:) That tells you how my head is working these days. I think my yard needs a whole crew of people or at least some heavy equipment. I have no idea how to get rid of all these weeds and yucky plants. I also think I have been nurturing some sort of a tree that I thought was dogwood. It bloomed last week, and it looks suspiciously like the plants I see along side the railroad track when I walk to the Rapid Station.----I know I can grow a number of things very well poison ivy, garlic mustard, Poke berries and the regular sumac If only it was variegated.I think in addition to color theory talk, we need to have a plant placement class.

Eden, I have been thinking of your mother, and hope everything is going well with her. I sure hope you get to come to Idyllunion.

Taryn, congrats on your house! That was a very nice tribute to Bruce

Marian, I hope you get your new computer up and running. We have a Dell and it works very well.Congrats on the new appliances

Deanne, I sure will be disappointed if you cant come to Idyllunion too! But sorry about Dougs toe. I still have problems with mine, and have an appt at Podiatrist after the wedding. I think I am having it removed. I am just tired of being in pain all the time, and limping. By the way, you look absolutely svelte in that photo! I love that bridal bouquet. It looked like it was all peonies? Another thing I wanted to say was your climbing hydrangea looks great! Skip weedwhacked my little guy...poor little thing. I gave it some food and compost as a consolation for being buzzed to the ground.

Honey, you skinny minnie! Good for you. I love your pot with the Morning Glory soon to be climbing.

T- you are getting close to the countdown for the babieshow exciting for you!!!

Ei- How nice that your son asked your advice on the ringWhen I got married, none of my friends got diamonds. I think it was the Woodstock influence..I got a turquoise wedding band. One of my daughters wears it all the time. She loves it. After we had been married for 15 years I bought a new ring, (with diamonds) but I still like my original one. First time I got married I had an Art Carved one that was gold with Black staining. I thought I was very cool. Wow on your roses!

Sue, you have been seeing lots of nice gardens these past few weeks.I have your window box on my computer as a screensaver. Actually I have all of your gardens floating on my computer screen

Speaking of which, Michelle.. I dont see a THING wrong with your garden. Didnt you say you were sort of bummed out one day last week? I really like the tuture you created.

Bug, my Betty Corning is growing, but what makes a clematis sort of bend and break? Am I using the wrong kind of tie up? I have a nylon tie on it, but loose. Sorry hubby is having challenges with co-workers. Around here, there is no socializing among the workers.

Babs, your garden gate and ant are very cool! I really like the brick walkway, too! We have so many creative people here...

I hope you all have a lovely day!And Hi to anyone I missed.

Drema

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

Great pictures here.

Honey your gardens are looking fantastic. I have Tuteur envy!

Michelle - I think I'd like to move into your shed;0)

Babs - yours is full of charm too. Do you have more pics of your yard overall? - I'm sure its full of whimsy but I've only seen little bits of it. Hope Ryan's check up goes smmothly.

V - your DD sounds such a treasure. Hope the cookies helped your virus!

Deanne - bummer youo're expecting another dumping of rain. We're a tad dry here, but have had enough rain at crucial times to replenish the deep moisture levels (or so we were told on a local gardening show). What are you teaching this week?

Cindy - I had a big smile with your 'vacation watering' picture!

Ei - I'm sure you will be as wonderful a MIL as you are Mom, daughter and spouse!

I think Eden must be watering her 200 containers right now LOL.

The first day of summer vacation for everyone - yay! Yesterday afternoon David had some friends over for an end of year celebration swim/pizza party. The two girls over the road joined us too and everyone had fun. The noise was uneblievable - I was glad our neighbors on the other side were still at work. When Annie has friends over they float and talk and practice dives, all very peaceful. The boys on the hand have splash fights, play "Jaws" tag, fling themselves into the water and keep me on constant alert making sure they are all OK. After this I can limit it to one friend each which allows me putter about, weed the beds by the pool and read in the shade.

Time to see what everyone is up to,

have a great day

Mary

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Drema - we posted at the same time. You sound so busy. YOur pots look fantastic together - very tropical. Glad your Walmart opens early!

Thanks for checking in with us.
    Mary

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning!

I'm getting ready to take mom to her appointments, so this is just a flyby....

Babs! Are you kidding?! I *love* your vignette! Not too much garden art at all! It's perfect. Your gate is beautiful and how neat that it's a family "heirloom" and the vine wreath on the garage really adds so much charm *and* you know what? I don't think it would be nearly as charming if your garage were new. The garage I think, actually sets the mood...reminds me of something out of Country Living Magazine. Love your brick walkway too. There's is definitely a way to set "yard art" and so many of you Idylls really seem to have the knack. I always admire how you all make garden art looks so spontaneous and yet obviously it must have been thought out. I just don't seem to have the knack for that...I think you just have to have "the eye".

Honey! Yes, you are right, it upsets me terribly. If he were a kid I'd take away his keys and ground him, but not much I can do to *make* him wear a helmet. I did tell him what you said about "donor month". He didn't say anything but I could see by the look on his face that it gave him something to think about. I absolutely *love* all the color in your container and have to know...what is that gorgeous ruffly orange coleus in between the sweet marguerite and the othe chartreuse coleus? It's a must have! :-) The pot with the tuteur? trellis? obelisk?....I don't know what you call them...anyway it's lovely. I *love* the shape of it. And love all that woodland behind your property, what a lovely backdrop for your gardens. I see you too are having a wacky lily year. I wonder what's causing it?

((Marian))...it's *okay* to feel how you feel! I sure hope that you get that cooler weather and that you can find someone to hook up the new computer for you. I am so impressed with your abilities and determination to do what needs to get done. I am very impressed that you would try to set up your own computer. I know you have said in the past that you have learned to do so much because you don't have someone to depend on (and I wish you did) but I sure do admire what a strong, determined, self-reliant woman you are...wish *I* had more of that!

Michelle - I meant to tell you yesterday, I love all the plantings around your shed too and the way you edged it. You guys are so talented! So that's the Illustris I gave you! :-) It looks great! I really do love the echo it is with the lime edged geranium. BTW, the white variegated geranium you sent to me is doing great and now forming buds...can't wait to see what color the flowers are!

V - you poor thing, you need some rest. I see the Cookie Fairy has been good to you lately! :-) Sorry you've been under so much stress lately. I hope you can get some needed rest this week-end.

Eden - So that's what Alabama Sunset looks like...I see another coleus in my life. I see I need to expand my mail order horizons too! :-)

Glad to hear Marie's delphiniums are still okay! :-) As to the "guest"...Well, it will be his loss if he doesn't come. He will be missing a lovely dinner, the company of interesting people and *I* wouldn't miss the chance to see your lovely home and gardens on a bet! Well, maybe he just feels uncomfortable being around a group of people? Does he know most everyone who is coming?

Geesh Deanne, you really have been getting the rains lately. I'm so sorry! If I had any control over the weather I would wish for a gentle rain of 1" inch per week, every week throughout the gardening season and they would happen early in the morning or late in the evening, so as not to disturb "gardening time"....that's not too much to ask, is it? LOL! Of course, we have been so dry that I am grateful for any and all rain that comes this way these days. Funny, I was thinking the same thing about Honey's leftovers! Wish all my "planned" pots looked so great! :-) BTW, I am so impressed with the way you stick to your exercise routine. I was going good for quite awhile, but then things got hectic here and I have been hit and miss. No excuse though, I realize, especially when I read about how dedicated you are...You are quite an inspiration!

Babs! How Funny! I was just reading the other posts to see if I missed anything that I wanted to add to this post and see that Eden thought of Country Living Magazine too. Told you it was charming! :-)

Well, I better be going...TTYL! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hey...how did all these posts get here after mine? I swear Drema, Mary and Eden were not here when I was posting! Hi girls! :-)

Drema...it's great to see you! Your pot vignette is *lovely*! I love your coco loco...the plant *and* the name too! :-) Hey we all have weeds (well at least I know I do). You would be surprised how many you spot while your mulching...LOL! LOL on the underwear...I think you may be a little too busy, girl! :-) How cool that you are going to build a greenhouse. That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask...I'm sure someone here knows...Taryn?...Can you overwinter petunias or grow them "true" from seeds? Maybe cuttings? I would like to grow my petunias myself instead of paying for them every year. Anybody have any ideas?

Well, I really have to be going...

Hi to Eden...hope you and Bella have a lovely day!

Hi Mary! Hope you enjoy the first days of summer vacation! :-) Sounds like it was a blast at your house yesterday...LOL! Yes, I agree boys certainly can be noisy! :-) But you brought back happy memories of DS and his summer vacations too!

TTYL! Ei

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Gotta run outside and work but just dropped in to catch up for a minute.

Ei, good idea concerning possible reasons about the guy who was invited...but no, he has worked with these people for years and that excuse won't float. I think they'll be insulted when they find out too. Anyway, his loss is right!

Here are some of my containers, all globbed togetjer for watering purposes.

{{gwi:163785}}

And here the blue and yellow garden with delphiniums:
    {{gwi:163787}}

And finally, a sweet little clematis called "Pagoda".
    {{gwi:163789}}

Later!
    Bug

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Eden,Michelle,Deanne,Mary,Drema.Ei..idylls are so sweet-it's funny I don't see Country Living there!I suppose it's because I also see the yard cart,pots of weed pullings,kid toys,etc. outside the fringes of the pic; ) Where did I read it-I read in a book a few months ago that garden art should be placed so each piece is seen one at a time-when you turn a bend,out in the distance,as you leave a doorway,etc. so that's where I got that notion and it does make sense to me because you should be seeing the plants then a nice piece of garden art as a single grouping and as an accent so the eyes arent' overwhelmed...does that make sense?

Drema I am SO GLAD you stopped in!!and are you wearing underwear?lol just kidding! I keep thinking you are up to your eyeballs in wedding prep and now I see you really do keep VERY long hours even just between the gym & work-wow you are one amazing woman! So you are sending resumes does that mean you got tossed or are you looking for something more secure?
    You have the same affliction I do thinking your garden area is not looking great-that scene of the pots you created is actually refreshing and elegant looking-what beautiful pots you've got there!!!! Those succulents look interesting-I always love bluegreen plants. That Coco Loco is a funky looking one-I like.
    I hope you aren't real frazzled with so much going on for you right now.Have some merlot.

Mary I so hear you on boys-they are so LOUD! lol. The pool party sounded like a blast! Their latest fad here is pretend sword fighting(big on pirates these days)and I go nuts trying to make sure no one gets a fat lip or eye. I('mean mom')of course made a rule that no one can 'fight' each other they may duel imaginary ruffians though. Funny how boys just naturally have that boisterousness! Andrew has aready decide he will be a pirate for Halloween this year(hmm that could be a fun costume to make!)
    I will try to get wider shots of the yard Mary-many of you think I am a 'talented' photographer and I do like closeups but when I get the faraway shots of my yard they never turn out how I want or see in my head lol. I will try though. I think I said that before.

Ei that's been happening alot to me lately-I post and later see many more posts not previously there. Know that everybody,in case you think I am snubbing you.
    SO does that mean I don't have to ever paint the garage?? LOL. I thought we'd be painting it this summer but we really need drier weather first. Maybe by fall,since mid summer is too hot for painting(good excuses eh?).

Oh Deanne-I sure hope you DON"t get our latest weather. Yikes some loud thunder and a couple had to have hit ground the rumbles shook the house. Tons of close lightening though. Amazingly AJ has been weathering the storms so well(pun!).Wow I hope that predicition of a foot of rain by you is an exaggeration(our weather people do that alot)especially with that recent flooding near you. Supposedly there might have been a tornado south of here but I haven't heard of damage or confirmation.

Marian-I hope something nice happens today that can cheer you up: ) Hang in there!

Honey-right now the ant is protruding out of a bed with hostas,and partially onto the brick area(we are short of bark so will have to go on a hunt-AJ's still gung ho though). I'm not sure where the final resting place will be since the neighbors might not 'get it'-though my garden neighbor will crack up when she sees this.

Cindy I forgot to tell you I didn't give my neighbor the tradescantia because she doesn't have room for it to spread and I surely don't want to give her something massive to weed from her beds(then she'd disown me; ) I still have some in one area so I might pot that up and place it in the bed she sees and that way it won't take over and she'll still have her flowers lol. Oh I did give her instead a red penstemon called 'Jingle Bells' and I enjoy it because the hummingbirds visit it often.

GB glad you are safe and sound in the tooth dept.
    That does sound pretty rude of that guy. I was thinking he's shy but if not at least you offered an invitation(leftovers can be a good thing since maybe he won't show: )

OK gotta go! Be good,have fun.
    ~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Deanne, I hope you dont get any damaging rains. One of the arrangements had peach lilies, dark purple salvia, ladys mantle and babies breath in a silver container. The other was in a blue crock with mixed flowers. As a result several people asked if they could come see my gardens.

Bug, your containers are great. It looks quite nice all grouped. It looks like one large container. I thought you hated coleus! LOL I love the long shot of the b-w-y garden.

Drema, I love your picture. You have some really cool containers. They coordinate so nicely. I hope that you are having your toenail removed and not your toe! I just dont show the bad parts in my pictures and the rain that we got has really perked things up.

Babs, funny I didnt see any of those things you mentioned in your picture. Dremas either. I guess we are more critical of our own gardens. LOL on garden art. I probably have too much and dont set it out right.

Mary, I have actually joked with Rick that Id like to put a bed in the shed so that we can sleep out there. LOL I agree, we need to see more overall pictures of Babs garden, yours and more of the other Idylls. It sounds like your family really enjoys the pool. We lived about 5 blocks from the pool when my kids were growing up and they practically lived there.

I have an idea. I think that those that have made up containers should make a separate thread with nice close up pictures.

Have a great gardening day,
    Michelle

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Michelle...oops, sorry TOE NAIL... you were right... see why I can't post:)? Believe it or not, it took me 3 days just to get that post written, and I still couldn't get it right. I need to slow down.. Least anyone think I have become a skinny person from all the working out, when you see me, I will sort of look the same...just more muscle:) I must be eating as much as I am excercising. I can't get it right...

Bug, I LOVE the blue and yellow garden.

Drema

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

Hi everyone. I hope all are having a great gardening summer. I have to get out into the yard before the rains come but I just wanted to tell Drema about what worked for my DS's nail that we thought had to be removed.

Drema this is what I had my DS do. You soak the toenail toe and all in Aloe Vera gel every morning for 5 to 10 minutes and every evening for about 10 minutes, and slather broken open vitamin A capsules on it every night before bed. DS just slept on old clean sheets that I didn't care would get stained with the vitamin A. Both things are healing and take away pain. It will take a while but eventually they will heal the nail and surrounding area nicely. If the toenail sticks out then a bandage might help to reposition it. That worked for DS too. My SIL used this treatment for her athletes foot, and it worked to keep it from worsening, but didn't completely heal it. She says it helps a lot though.

Yeona

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Yeona.

Everyone who doesn't want to read the 1 1/2 year toenail saga, please skip this one:)

I tried Lamisil, it made my ears ring and skin itch, plus my head buzzed, and I didn't even have any Merlot...cause you can't when you take Lamisil..liver issues. Then I tried some topical medicine that started with a T (can't remember the name, but it didn't work at all.) from the doctor. Then I tried soaking in vinegar twice a day, then tried Vick's, then I got a prescription for Penlac from Doctor... $75 for a teeny bottle and that is with my insurance card! I used that for about 10 months...3 prescriptions worth...That sort of helped, but not completely. Now I am using straight tea tree oil put on with a Q-tip. Had thought about fixing up a little baggie so it could soak overnight...So I am definitely open to Vitamin A and Aloe Vera:) I will give anything a shot...can you tell? Actually the tea tree oil has been as good as anything I have tried, and I like the smell...

thanks for the advice..maybe this toenail can be saved after all!

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Since we already shelled out medium-sized bucks for a gourmet dinner at an organic farm tonight, I decided it was time to get my buns to the doctor. I have bronchitis (not too surprised as that's the same diagnosis my son got) and I have some nice horse-sized pills to take. I hope they kick in fast.

I've only skimmed but two things caught my eye.

Deanne, the cookies were chocolate chip made with whole wheat flour. The whole wheat was an emergency sub when DD found the white flour unusable, if you catch my drift! But they turned out to be yummy.

Drema, I started using tea tree oil on a bad toenail a few months ago and feel it's made a good difference. I've slacked off lately but need to get back into the routine to clear it up the rest of the way. At least the ugly black part is now gone.

Lots to catch up on, so I'm off to do that!

V.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hi all.

This morning I took my car in to my mechanic for a check-up and servicing. He found nothing wrong that needs fixed. So...that is good news. :-)

Trubby is still hanging in there. I am hoping he hasn't used up any of his 9 lives, and recovers.

Eileen, you are so kind. A lot of my current ailments is the fibro and arthritis. The climate, and stress does not help. I met up with a friend in the Wal Mart parking lot that has similar ailments. She too has been extra bad lately. As Tim says: "We just have to get tough or die" !
    :-)

Babs, I really am not feeling sad, just draggy, but thanks for the good thoughts.

My, my...such beautiful containers, everybody. I am loving mine, too, and may be able to share pics when the new machine is set up. I looked at digital cameras at Wal Mart, but have no idea what would be a good buy for me.

Handsome sheds ,too. Ours is too far from the yard to dress up. It is surrounded by woods. If I were younger, and stronger, I could make a pretty place around it, but it would just be more food for the deer! Nolon said he saw a doe on the pond bank, while I was gone , and 4 fawns romping on the bank! I encountered a spotted fawn on the gravel county road on my way out. I didn't see a doe, so hope it is not motherless.

I think I have at least one toenail that could benefit from the aloe treatment. I'll try to remember to get some gel the next trip to town.
    The things we learn here ! ;-)

The predicted storms are gathering around us, and looking promising. I hope we get 2-3 inches of rain at least!

Marian

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Sheesh-what a day!

Ryan does have lazy eye: ( But the good news is that his vision in both eyes is excellent. All they can do is see him again in 4 months and if there's a decline in vision or increase in muscle weakness they will do a patch,& possibly lenses.But a patch can also worsen the condition-never heard that one before. Surgery is a possiblity but I'm guessing worst case scenario-we aren't to that point yet. I didn't like hearing that 60% get worse and require surgery and only 40% stay the same or improve with patch/lenses. I think I got those stats right...?

THEN we got massive thunderstorms again-it's terrible-flooding in various parts.A fire fighter lost his life saving a couple water stranded people-they lived and he died saving them-how sad it that. Not directly here,but a couple miles away a road was closed that sent a traffic jam here. Naturally Chris went out to the store and took ages to get back home. Our basement wall was leaking water-it was almost a stream! Then again they said we got an inch every half hour and the total for today was FOUR INCHES(guess the drought is over). AND my gutter decided to clog so I had water in the enclosed back porch so I had to rig up plastic Lego buliding mats to stop the water from coming in the window!(insightful when I need to be).I couldn't go out and get on the ladder because of the lightening-my luck would have gotten me barbecued...Babsicued! Not fun,not fun at all. I am a bit curious to see how powerful the waterfall I take pics of is gushing tonight-I was too tired to go when Chris suggested it. Maybe tomorrow-who knows it might rain again.
    OH my pots were filled to the brim with water! I think it just rained too fast that it couldn't drain quick enough. Even one of my beds was underwater!and that never happens normally.

Hey I almost missed GB's garden pics! That's happening so much-maybe we are just all posting close together. Is Pagoda a non-vining type? Very pretty.

TTYL
    ~B