Idyll #272: Goin' to the dogs!

Jerri_OKC
17 years ago

In more ways than one! Carry on...

Comments (100)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Eden, Deanne and Monique took pictures in my garden yesterday. For some reason I can't get decent shots of the containers. I take them then delete them all once I dowmload them and look at them full size. BTW, I don't know what the tag says but Tricyrtis Raspberry Mousse is three feet tall in my garden.

It looks like I have a free day today. Tom is golfing and I have no pressing garden chores. My back is a bit hinky from all the bending and lifting I did the last couple of days. I'd like to get some unusual shade plants for the new garden around the shed but none of the nurseries around here seem to be carrying anything good. So far the deals aren't that great either-no perennials for $2.49.

BTW, Deanne, there is a message on the New England forum that Uncanoonuc is having a 20% off sale right now on everything. I wish that was closer.

Babs, the rabbits are starting to do some damage in my garden too. In late spring I always get little teeny babies living in the front gardens-probably because there is so much cover. They aren't so bad when they're small but I can always tell when they start getting bigger because bigger plants get destroyed. The deer potential is worriesome but so far I've found that they just occasionally pass through into the field next to my house and then into a huge old cemetary and quarry beyond. A busy road cuts between the field and cemetary and the who area is basically commercial and heavy residential. Maybe that keeps them at bay-I sure hope so.

Ei, really, relax about IU3. I always stress about gardeners visiting too but I truly think no one looks at your garden as critically as you. My garden has areas I hate too-areas I tinker with constantly and can't get right. We all have areas like this and are relieved to hear we aren't alone.

Michelle, what a beautiful container combo and setting. Happy Canada Day to our neighbors to the north. Unfortunately 4th of July falls on a Tuesday this year and my company is open on Monday. So I have to go into work tomorrow then have Tuesday off. The option would have been to take a vacation day. Maybe I'll take another half day. Tom invited his family over for a cookout on the fourth so I'd better start thinking about food.

OK, time to motivate. Happy Sunday.

Sue

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good morning

What a fabulous time the North Easterners had yesterday - I was almost tasting the food as you described it Sue! And I'm sure the gardens were just as wonderful, yours included.

Ei - are you familiar with the book "Why we Garden?" Its something to ponder at a time like this. I know we all stress about wanting our gardens to look their best when people visit, the same way we clean our houses (and kids) for company. But you don't want to loose sight of why you garden in the first place. To me if a private garden brings pleasure to its owner its a good garden, an if it brings pleasure to others as well its a great garden. I bet you'd be happier with the way things look if we weren't descending on you. No garden is ever "done" but that shouldn't diminish the joy of nuturing plants and creating combinations that delight the senses. We are all coming to see YOU, and as well as being a talented gardener, you are a caring sister, daughter, friend, mother and wife - we value all of those things. So enjoy the confection of your blooms while they last and relax with a nice coctail with Paul on the porch tonight.

GB - hope nothing else mechanical breaks on you. I would love to come up and visit sometime - we can make plans at IU3. Hope your DH's recovery continues smoothly.

Babs - I don't think I responded about the Fingerlakes - we are about 30 minutes from Lake Canadagua, one of the western fingerlakes and often drive down. There is a nice beach there in the summer and its not far from where Annie skis in the winter. I love the scenary in that area, it reminds me of parts of Europe. I can't wait to hear which perennials you bought!

Yesterday I picked Annie up from Camp in the Adirondacks. It is 188 miles one way, so I spent a lot of time at the wheel. Fortunately I had some good books on tape so it passed pleasantly. Despite the rain, Annie had had a fantastic time. Her consellors, one from Hungary, the other from Missipppi, were delightful and they said what a great group of girls they had in Annie's cabin. This year Annie had particularly enjoyed mountain biking and fort building and she declared it the best year ever. It was lovely to see her enjoying herself so much, but good to have her home as I'd missed here a lot. I have to keep working on the "letting go" part of parenting!

Today I'm pottering about in the garden dodging yet more showers. David and DH are playing a round of golf together later and I'm deciding what to grill for supper tonight. We're having a quiet 4th of July here with a BBQ and watching the town fireworks.

Have a good Sunday everyone

Mary

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

oops - I missed lots of people, but I did want to say Hi to Taryn and congats on her boys' reports.

Waving to everyone else,

M.

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Good day!

We did indeed have a perfect day yesterday. I began the day with a tour of Deanne's lovely gardens. So many beautiful pots and combinations! It is much better in person than in all of the lovely photos posted here. She is truly an artist in the garden as well.

We set off for Connecticut with Doug as our captain, picked up Sue and Tom, and sped to Monique & Les's house in Deanne's UAV. Monique's garden is stunning, they have done so much with their blank slate yard. Numerous well-grown trees, shrubs and vines as well as assorted perennials and even tasty blueberries! We were served a wonderful dinner on the deck (food descriptions to follow by Deanne) - let me just say that Les is a wonderful cook!

After dinner, we set off for dessert and a look at Sue's garden. Her patio and new hot tub area look wonderful, so inviting and relaxing. Her gardens are stunning - so many well-grown plants, among them the largest clumps of Hakonechloa grass and ligularia I have ever seen! Top that off with tasty dessert and drinks, and I was in heaven.

Truly a perfect day, I was amazed by all of the beautiful gardens. Multiple hortgasms along with delicious food and great company - what more could a girl want?

I want to thank all of my NE Idyll friends for their generosity in sharing their gardens, and I hope to have them come to my place soon, although my gardens are by no means in their league - still very much a work in progress.

Great long weekend ahead - how does everyone celebrate the 4th of July (or Canada Day for you Canadians?). We attend a big parade, which we look forward to every year. The first one up on the morning of the 4th loads up the car with beach chairs and places them along the parade route to "save our spot". I remember attending this same parade as a child, and I believe my mother did also. The day would not be complete without hearing the Boston Pops play the 1812 overture, complete with cannons firing an accompaniment. I have not yet had the opportunity to hear them in person, the crowds in Boston for that concert are just too much. People line up at sunrise with their blankets to save a spot, and spend the whole day there waiting for the evening concert.

Bug, sorry about your car - how frustrating. Hope your DH is doing well - hopefully he won't need 6 weeks of your care.

Eden, I have dug out so much LOV that I cringe when I see it for sale anywhere. I firmly believe that is all one long root, like a rope, that reaches to the center of the earth! You have to dig it out, otherwise the root breaks and it grows back.

Well, time to go have lunch, them swimming at my parent's pool. DS has learned to dunk his head and swim underwater and he can't wait to show us up close!

Hi to those I missed!

Have a great day everyone!

-Wendy

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous pics, ladies. I worked like a dog in the heat yesterday but got things looking repaired after all the torrents of a week ago. Today, I went nursery hopping in 95 degree weather (good day not to be in the garden!) but confess I didnt find anything spectacular, altho several places had things 25% off -- managed to get a few more Geranium Rozanne (love that plant), Salvia guarantica Black & Blue (another one since it seems to overwinter in my yard), Heuchera Bronze Wave (you all have inspired me to try a few more heucheras), Shasta Aglaia, and a few other not worth mentioning. Still cannot locate anyone w/ Ajuga Black Scallop or Echinacea Sparker in this area....

I will say in looking at the geranium selections when I was buying Rozanne, there was a new one in the "blue pot" -- $24.99 for something called "Blue Sprite" or "Blue Sunset" I think... wow.... that seemed a bit pricey for a new introduction small pot of cranesbill. Whew! Decided to pass on that one this year!

I have gotten very hungry since I heard the yummy gourmet foods the NE Idyllers were enjoying yesterday - sounds like a perfect day in the land of gardens -- great company, food, plants, weather, -- wow, what more could one ask for?

I tell you, after looking at the fantastic gardens the NE Idylls have, Im ready to rip everything of mine out!! Gotta keep Mary's advice in mind -- the reasons why we really garden -- I was just thinking that yesterday, that I was so happy working in the borders, it was quiet in the neighborhood & everyone must have been off doing things -- I thought, "I guess I should be feeling lonely but I dont, my heart is content".... I just love working with the plants, no matter what health or shape they're in -- and if something looks pleasing to my eye, Im happy. Thanks for the bits of advice, Mary -- I think we should keep it in mind when we're viewing the other masterly photos.

O, and on the shopping tip advice, I stopped at a local Joanns & got a few small pots -- all the big ones were already gone -- the lurkers must have read Sue's shopping tip & gotten there before me!!

We just got a torrential t-storm -- actually some things needed it -- altho Im concerned -- my 10 yr old Buddleia Pink Delight is all droopy & nasty looking -- I dont know if it's mildew or it rotted from the 12 inches of rain last week -- I'll be so sad if it really bites the dust - who ever heard of a buddleia dying? A neighbor's Bradford pear split & came down on next door neighbor's house & car too -- ooops..... makes me sooooo glad I had mine taken out years ago - the developer put them in all over & the ones still standing are now making a big mess for people storm after storm.

Well, I think I'll kick back - I guess this was a me, me bit -- but just wanted to check in a bit since I've been out of the loop for a while. I've got off now til Thursday - thank goodness -- or it would be "d i v o r c e" the job -- last week was a toughie. Im hoping to get stuff planted in between the heat & t-storms expected. I will relish having Monday off especially -- you guys who have to go to work tomorrow hope it's a very quiet, lazy one.

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

OK, so after a half hour of composing a chatty posting, you guessed it, it vanished in thin air. I can't redo it now, no energy or inspiration left after a hot busy day of garden work and tending to DH. Car battery gone, running low on food..."good grief!" (That's for Eden.)

I will add though that I have been sharing the excitement and anxieties of Woody's first garden tour. Things went really well in spite of beastly hot weather. She said I could share the photos with you Idylls. Look for her benches on the back deck. They should look familiar!

'Bug

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

Well, we went to another cook out yesterday and the rains surrounding this area put nary a drop on the festivities. A good time was had by all but by 6 or so I was past ready to get home and hunker down in the AC. Today looks to be lovely with scattered T storms later but t surely doesnt look like it now. Im planning on getting out to JoAnn Fabrics later to see if the hordes or lurkers here have left any containers.

I so wish I could transport you all here for an evening stroll about the place as I dont recall it looking so green and abundant before. It was in better shape last year as everything was perfectly edged, mulched and deadheaded but this year with the bits of untidy areas here and there and a trowel left on a bench or a few deadheaded flowers in a terracotta pot have their own look of a growing thriving garden in the works. As of course they always are, a work in progress.

Im smiling at Marys post about enjoying the process and Cindys love of tending to the plants as they couldnt have expressed my sentiments better. It must have to do with a love of nurturing things. Doug is always astonished because I really do know every plant in my garden. I know how it is doing, is it a good year or a bad or maybe it needs to be moved because it isnt happy in its current location.

Im smiling to myself because of the surprises the garden always has in store for us. Those Manhattan lilies that I was put out with for being too tall in their current location have so pleased me because they are giving that view a new perspective and I will probably leave them there for a few years now. I realized that it is a bit refreshing to have my view of the birdbath from the front of the garden obscured for a month or two. It makes me look at the sundial garden differently and that reflection in the water from the backside of the garden was a beautiful surprise.

So the season is moving along but this next four weeks is the peak season in our gardens. Im planning on sitting back and spending more time inhaling the views and savoring the richness of the visuals.

Hugs to all! I hope everyone is having a terrific holiday weekend whether it is the Fourth of July or Canada Day celebration.

Deanne

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good morning

Cindy - isn't it great to get lost in your yard!!

GB - doesn't sound much fun;0( Hope you get some supplies soon.

Deanne - I'd LOVE to be transported to your patio for an evening stroll!!

Not that I'm not enjoying myself here. The garden is bursting forth with poppies, cleome and hollyhocks hitting their stride. Yesterday afternoon I spend a blissful couple of hours reading by the pool with Annie, enjoying the hummingbirds swooping to the flowers. My bronze fennel is covered with Monarch larva which we're enjoying watching grow.

Yesterday I found the most adorable plant. Just starting to bloom was this teensy, tiny Fuchsia Encliandra. Loving miniatures as I do I was captivated by the minute blossoms. Eden - I bet you would enjoy this!

here is the whole plant
    {{gwi:163834}}

and the teesy, weensy blossom
    {{gwi:163835}}

I'm in love.....

Mary

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

It's a real scorcher here and Charlotte and I prefer to remain indoors. I was up early though and took a few pohotos. I'm too tired to chat now.

This is a favourite clematis, Blue Boy.
    {{gwi:163836}}

Yes, the corn is knee high!
    {{gwi:163837}}

A nice dark delphinium.
    {{gwi:163838}}

I love this one. The Alexandra Rose.
    {{gwi:148104}}

Later!
    'bug

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Shh I'm not allowed to be here...I'm supposed to be resting because yesterday I took a spill in Target's parking lot and bruised my hip and it feels like I twisted some muscles! Can you say clutz? One of my boys was a little over excited and got tangled in my shopping bags/me and we did a twisted pretzel thing and all I could do was go down as graceful as I am capable-well Chris promised me I was graceful in my fall.(I will never go back there again!) I'm OK and a couple days of taking it easy and ICE should take care of it.

Ennyway...I still havent' told you what plants I found on my nursery rounds. Unfortunately,what I consider the major perennials weren't on sale a bit so I stalked the smaller ones for $2.49 here's what I chose:

Penstemon rhondo
    Penstemon digitalis 'Mystica'
    2 Penstemon mexicali 'Miniature Bells'
    Potentilla nepalensis 'Miss Willmott'
    Artemesia 'Silver Mound'
    Echinacea purpurea 'Cygnet White'
    Asclepias tuberosa
    Oenothera speciosus

I also found a fun plant that I normally wouldn't get but since this was a gift I went for it and bought a tropical plant called Clerodendrum ugandense or also known as Blue butterfly plant. Its habit almost reminds me of a loose version of PG Hydrangea(in fact this plant is a huge shrub in Kenya and Uganda. The blooms form is panicle clusters and look like tiny periwinkle butterflies!! I hope I can keep it alive this winter indoors: )

I really am fascinated by the hummingbird activity as well as the butterflies these last few summers so all the finds I bought will hopefully please them. For anyone who wants hummers-the penstemons are visited daily-I recommend them for mid summer hummer feeding.

OH Clematis!GB I did not find anything I liked-was hoping to see some non vining ones or even the pagoda one which I do like(was that the one Ei has? I liked the one she has too). The search continues: )

My goal is to get the bigger perennials(Nora Leigh,etc.) toward the end of the season when I love to play 'plant chicken' lol.

Sorry I gotta go-I've been found out for not resting oops!

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We met up with my son and his GF, my DD and Kenzie and my folks at the Lakes yesterday. It was extremely hot and the young people enjoyed swimming. I had to work today. No real plans for tomorrow. I messed around in the potager tonight. I am actually starting to like working in that garden now that it is more aesthetically pleasing.

RE: the container, I cheated and added the roses in vials and just stuck the babies breath in. I never picked up blue lobelia this year. It looks good with that geranium.

Eden, I dug out some invasives last fall and this spring a few popped up so I decided to put some annuals in those areas for at least this year.

I agree with Babs on what a nice gesture Taryns welcome party is for their buyers.

Babs, I did make the table. That Clerodendrum ugandense is a cool plant. It caught my eye when we were at the Dallas Arboretum.

Cindy, the Echinacea Sparkler was a dog for me. It came back this spring but was absolutely puny. Now it seems to have disappeared.

We keep joking that the corn is going to be Kenzie high by the 4th of July. It is well over that.

bug, thanks for the link to Woodys garden tour. Everything looked perfect.

Mary, what a great description of gardening. My concept is that I garden for my own pleasure and if I like it thats great. If others enjoy it, thats an added bonus.

Ill leave you with a bouquet for the holiday. I love these red poppies with their frilly centers even if I dont do much red in the garden. Its nice that they bloom right around the 4th and the blue delphinium is such a true blue.

{{gwi:163839}}

• just_t
    17 years ago

Hi, just wanted to whip in to send a fast hello to everyone and wishes that everyone enjoys a lovely day tomorrow---whether you are in the USA and celebrate or just a beautiful day (since I missed Canada's Day).

We've had Jamie for the past couple of days. He has a horrible cold & cough along with the "I need my Mommy!" woes. He is also getting very good at 'potty training' so I had to be on the alert for his little soft spoken "I need to go potty, Grammie". Now why can't he holler that as loud as he can holler "I need my Mommy!!"? LOL I also spend some hours the past couple days working at a concession booth at the local 4th of July festivites. It was tiring, hot and my feet hurt. Yep, I'm sniveling.

Babs, sorry to read that you fell in the parking lot! Hope you'll heal quickly. There must have been something in the air as I took a tumble going down the stairs at DD's house today. No one was around when I did it and it was the good 'ole slow motion fall with the fast thought process of "oh crum! I'm falling and it is going to hurt like the dickens! But thank goodness no one is around to see me do it." I skinned my elbow, bruised my hip and twisted my upper back but none of it was bad enough that I had to fess up to anyone that I fell again. Klutz woman strikes again!

'bug, your photos are gorgeous! Hope your energy returns soon.

Michelle, your container is lovely and the table is awesome.

Oh....I know I'm missing commenting on so much that I've been in awe of......but I'm going to go sit in my chair, with my feet up, until it is bedtime.

My best to everyone!

T.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Evening Idylls!

Well DH has been off work since Friday and is taking a week off of work. Were hoping to get a vacation in this summer, but probably only for a week and since he has the extra time he decided to take off a week now and just do things around here. So its been kind of fun hanging out together...LOL! Had a pleasant surprise on Saturday morning. It was pretty early. I just got up and hadnt even had my "brew" yet, when I spotted a couple of walkers checking out the front yard. I would have gone out to say "Hi!" but I was still in my pj's. Of course that didn't stop hubby. He invited them to come see the backyard too. Well, they were here for so long, my curiosity got the best of me and I finally walked out onto the deck in my pj's to see what they were up to! :-) Turns out they were *really sweet* ladies. The one lives in the condos about 8 blocks from here and the other was her friend visiting from Canada! We chatted for about a half hour (me the whole time in my pj's and they not noticing or not caring...LOL!) The one studies Feng Shui and told me my garden was very good Feng Shui! :-) Cool! Wish I knew what that meant...LOL! Anyway here's what tickled me...They had just come back from an Artists Retreat and asked me if I painted. "Ha"..."no, not even walls", I said. Long story short they invited me to attend the next retreat and I'm thinking about it. It sounds like fun! They assured me you don't have to be an "artist" to attend, that I could just have fun with it. The lady who lives here and I exchanged phone numbers and she is suppose to call me and let me know when the next retreat will be coming up. Obviously I want to get to know her better and find out all the details before I would go, but they were *so* nice and such interesting people and I bet the retreat would be fun too...so we'll see.

Anyway, so then Sunday DH and I took another trip to Michigan. It really is so beautiful there. I think if I had to move, Michigan would be a very nice place to go. The whole trip was wonderful and in one of the little towns we stopped in they were having an antique show and sale and an ice cream social too! :-) It was all so Norman Rockwellish...I just loved it! It's been a very nice week-end and tomorrow I'm having my family over for the 4th. One more month...three more rounds of treatment and sis will be all done with her chemo!! Yea! :-) On Weds. DH is taking his motorcycle for a ride around Lake Michigan, up through Michigan and back. I'm a little anxious and will worry about him the whole time, but he deserves to have some fun and it's something he's been talking about doing for a long time. And YES! DH *will* be wearing his helmet. Which reminds me I've been wanting to thank you Honey. I did tell you I told DH about the Donors Month thing and how I wasnt really sure if he was impressed or not? Well, I have to tell you, I think he was! :-) Friday he was going to meet a friend to play racquetball and decided to take his motorcycle. I asked, as I always do, "Are you going to wear your helmet?" Expecting the usual sigh and the usual "No". But guess what? He looked at me and smiled and said, "Yes, Ill wear my helmet. Will that make you happy?" "Yes!" :-) Maybe he does actually listen to me after all! :-) So I will stay here and go to a Farmer's Market with Dotty on Weds. Thursday is still up in the air.

LOL Deanne! Are you kidding?!? I plan to take *full* advantage of having all these wonderful gardeners here. I mean how often does one get the chance to have so many great gardeners right in your own back yard? :-) It will be great *so* great! :-) I'm really getting anxious now...but in a *good* way! BTW, I would *love* for you to come visit me anytime you are in the area Deanne, but still hoping some how you might make to IU3 too. Thanks too Deanne for understanding my angst! :-) Loved your description of your garden...sounds like you are really enjoying it Deanne and I'm so glad you guys are finally having some lovely days! Oh, have been meaning to say that I would love to share some of my 'Claire' with you. It's so much fun to share plants with friends...it really tickles me and brings me so much pleasure to think a part of me is with a friend and a part of them is with me too! :-)

Speaking of IU3...V....has anybody told you that I've been calling? I have some questions....yikes! Do you believe how close it is getting? Would Wednesday night be good night to call you?

Mary, I wanted to tell you too....Thank you so much for giving my garden back to me and for reminding me what really matters! You really put it in perspective for me and made me feel relaxed again (the rest of you guys too...Thanks!) :-) I have been working in the gardens for the last couple days, but with a whole different perspective. Instead of just suffering anxiety over everything that isn't just the way I would like it to be for the IU3, instead I am really enjoying the things I love about my garden and remembering why I started gardening in the first place! :-) It's been lovely to tell my flowers "Why Miss Patty you're looking especially lovely today!" Instead of saying..."Why aren't you standing up straight?" "How can you flop now...don't you know I'm expecting company?" LOL! Just kidding, but you know what I mean; right? BTW, Patty *is* looking very lovely. She's an annual poppy and I think you would really like her Mary. This year they are starting to re-seed for me and I would love to get them seeding all over the garden eventually. I just *love* the color! I would be happy to save you some seed - that is if you don't already have her? BTW, I love your little fuchsia...she's a real cutey! :-) Glad Annie had a great time at camp, but I bet your glad to have her home again too!

Pattys Plum Poppy:

{{gwi:163840}}

{{gwi:163841}}

Something that made me happy in the garden today:

{{gwi:163842}}

Did I mention I like bright or is that stating the obvious...LOL! :-)

Michelle I *love* your 4th of July container! Next year I am definitely doing your that. Speaking of which, how do you carry your geraniums over the winter? Do you let your geraniums go dormant or do you grow them on all along or just take cuttings? Your flower arrangement is just beautiful too, BTW! Those poppies are stunning! They remind me of the ones I have from Mrs. Shack (except hers are pink). Are those from your own garden? Wow! The table is beautiful too and what a perfect container!

Babs! I'm so sorry you hurt yourself! Hope your not aching too much and hope you heel quick! Well, your Clerodendrom is just gorgeous! Is that an annual or a perennial? You really find some neat plants. What was that other one you showed us a pic of before...I think Phygelius? That was gorgeous too! I love penstemons...they come in such *beautiful* colors, but they don't seem to like me much. The only one I've had any luck with is 'Red Rocks'. Oh, BTW, the Clematis I have is Betty Corning and last summer I moved some of her to a couple other places in the garden. I bet you anything there's a nice piece of vine we could dig up and send home with you when you come, if you would like.

Marie your pictures today were gorgeous. I especially love the corn one...it's kind of moody, but exciting too...I love the misty background. I can see why that Blue Boy is a favorite too...what a pretty color and the shape of the flower reminds me of a fairys hat! :-) That Alexandra Rose is gorgeous too!

T - *do* be careful! I hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly. Maybe we should start a club of klutzes. Did I ever tell you guys how I once stepped on an "upfacing" hand cultivator and it went right through my shoe and my foot! Yikes! Now I *always* put tools "tines down" and never forget. I even step on the back of them to make sure they have sunk into the ground for extra safety. Now that I think about it, most of my injuries seem to be garden related and I'm too embarrassed to tell you guys how many times poor hubby has had to take me to the ER after a fine day of gardening. Luckily, so far this season I seem to be klutz free. I sure hope little Jamie is feeling better by tomorrow... poor guy...I hate when the little ones are sick. Hope you are sitting with your feet up now T and feeling a little better.

Marian! Hi! Where are you? Hope you are having a nice week-end and wishing you a Happy 4th of July too!

Well, it's l2:00 and I need to get to bed, much to do tomorrow to prepare for the barbecue. I may not get to peek in here much this week, with hubby being home and all, but I want to wish everyone a Happy Independence Day & a Happy Canada Day too!

Chicago - Saturday in the Park

Saturday in the park
    I think it was the Fourth of July
    Saturday in the park
    People dancing, people laughing
    A man selling ice cream
    Singing Italian songs
    Can you dig it (yes, I can)
    And I've been waiting such a long time
    For Saturday

Another day in the park
    Another day in the park
    People talking, really smiling
    A man playing guitar
    Singing for us all

Will you help him change the world
    For today

Slow motion riders fly the colors of the day
    A bronze man still can tell stories his own way
    Listen children all is not lost
    All is not lost
    Oh no, no

Funny days in the park
    Every day's the Fourth of July
    Funny days in the park
    Every day's the Fourth of July
    People reaching, people touching
    A real celebration
    Waiting for us all
    If we want it, really want it

For the day

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

It's been a long day and I was tired! I was getting my poppies mixed up...that's pics of 'Lauren's Grape' poppy (an annual), not my Patty's Plum Poppy, which is a perennial! Okay, Good Night! It's now 1:00 a.m.!

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

Well, I went to JoAnns yesterday and there were no wonderful large containers left but they DID have some white wrought iron hangers with coco fiber mats and some neat plant stands on sale for 70% off so I was drooling over that. Then I nipped into Home Goods and scored a nifty obelisk for $15.00 and a print on sealed particleboard for $10. The print is long and narrow, probably about 18" by four feet and the painting is an urn with blooming brugmansia in it. Too cool. I have to figure out where I can set it up with a blooming brug next to it.

Doug and I started the day with a 20 mile bicycle ride out through Hollis then looped around past Silver Lake and up Farley Rd. The reason I mention where we went is because it goes right by The Mixed Border. The good news is that they are having a 25% off sale and Doug didnt mind if we stopped in so I could do a bit of plant shopping. I picked up Ajuga Rainbow, Salvia Forskaohlei, Yarrow Anthea and a couple pots of a yellow stokesia I cant think of the name of off hand and last but not least I picked up that extra Clematis Arabella I want for that obelisk in the middle of the Terrace Garden where the Clematis Asao is.

Anyway, I think the 25% off sale at Mixed Border will be going on for the remainder of the month. Im going to have to go back and check it out again when I have more time. Doug was pretty patient with me but I did have to cut my shopping time shorter than I would have liked. LOL

Babs and T. So sorry about your accidents! I hope that doesnt spread around the Idylls. I hope you both feel better very soon. The truth of the matter is that Im a bit of a klutz myself and there was a joke in my family that I wasnt allowed to use any sharp objects for a time.

Eileen, gorgeous, gorgeous pics. I love that echinacea, monarda, hemerocallis combination. Is that amsonia to the upper right of that photo??? ~~ So happy you are enjoying your gardens and not obsessing about IU3 anymore. ~~ No rush on getting that cutting to me. Probably would be good to just send me a piece of what you prune off in the fall before the frost.

Michelle, what a beautiful flower arrangement! You always put together the loveliest flower combinations. Neat that you are enjoying working in your potager garden now.

Babs, that Clerodendrum is too neat. Im looking forward to hearing how it does for you and Im hoping you can winter it over. It sounds like you had a great shopping trip.

Bug, lovely photos! That Alexandra is beautiful. Do you have a pic of the whole shrub? ~~ Thanks for the link to Woodys gardens. Everything looks like it was wonderful for her tour.

Mary, your gardens sound wonderful. I got a huge smile on my face when reading your post and Doug wanted to know what I was smiling about. ~~ I love that dwarf fuchsia! Will you put it in an arrangement or keep it as a specimen plant? ~~ So happy that Annie had such a great time at camp.

Cindy, Im never lonely in the gardens either. The gardens are such a calming and serene place. ~~ Im so jealous that you can overwinter Salvia guaranitica outside. I love that plant and I never know if I can find it in the spring. ~~ So sorry about your Buddleia Pink Delight. I have one that has been touch and go with surviving our winters but it still is hanging on. It must get huge for you down in your southern climate.

Wendy, Hope you and family have a great time at the parade. Ive not been to one in more years than I can count. ~~ Id like to hear the Pops in person one of these years but like you I dont know if I could handle the crowds.

Sue, in your travels if you come across any Painters Palette would you please pick it up for me. After seeing it in your garden next to Britt Marie Crawford Ive gotten the wicked I wants.

OK Ive got to get going here and get the watering done so we can do another bicycle ride in today.

Have a great day everyone,
    Deanne

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls! Just wanted to check this morning to see if I really made my correction last night or if I was dreaming...Glad to see I did! :-)

Deanne - your Arabella is on my list of clematis to find -along with many of Marie's little guys. :-) I really haven't had much time to do any plant shopping this season and haven't even been to my two favorite perennial nursreies out here - Planter's Palette and The Growing Place. But I'm really getting the bug now and hopefully Weds. Dotty and I will make it to those two after the Farmer's Market. I'm also looking for a few small evergreens, but I might hold off on that until the IU3. I think V is planning to take us to an "evergreen specialty" nursery that I've always been itching to see! Can't wait! I'm sure I'll find something there that I'll want to take home with me.

Babs I just remembered that I did find a variegated Clerodendrum last year and tried to overwinter it outside, but it didn't make it. I really love the one you showed...it *does* remind me of butterflies. How are you going to take care of it? Will you leave it outside or bring it in? Either way, let me know how it works out because I would love to try that one! :-)

Funny I was thinking the same thing about Michelle too Deanne! You know Michelle, there could be a second career for you as a florist. You really *do* create beautiful arrangements. Is that a natural knack or did you take classes? I took a class, but still don't seem to have the knack. The class wasn't totally wasted on me though...I can make a mean bow now! :-)

Sue...can you tell me a little bit about Painters Pallette? Will it take full shade? Is it aggressive? Maybe you can tell me about Britt too? I love the plant, but mine does not seem as dark as when I first planted it a couple of years ago. Maybe it needs more sun?

Hope T & Babs are feeling better this morning and not too achy! Well, I best get busy making the strawberry shortcake and the coleslaw...Have a wonderful holiday everyone!

Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Oops! Deanne, I meant to say thanks and to tell you yes that is the willow leaf Amsonia. It's one of my favorite "foliage" plants! I'm going to divide this one in the fall and put it in a few more places in the garden. It does bloom little star-like blue flowers in the spring, but it really is the foliage that I love so much.

Okay off to face the day...have a good one all! Ei

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Im wondering how big of basket Deanne has on her bike that she can stop for plant shopping while on a bike ride. Deanne, I have one of my Endless Summer near my Britt Marie Crawford and I like the look, but then my Endless Summer is pink.

Ei, those are reseeding annual poppies from my garden. I also have lavender and pink. Would you like seed? I just bring the mother geranium in and winter in a sunny window. I then take cuttings toward spring to make more. The mother usually survives this as well. Years ago I did take them out of the pots and shake the dirt off and put them in paper bags in a cool basement. This way you cant take cuttings and it takes awhile in the spring for them to leaf out, but is good if you dont have much room. The other way they will actually bloom some during the winter and any blooming during the winter is a joy.
    LOL about me being a florist. I enjoy it, but am far, far from professional. I love to hunt for cool containers. The one I gave my folks for their anniversary the other day was in a huge coffee cup I picked up at the Goodwill. This container I just got the other day at a garage sale. $2 and it is Moira pottery made in England. (Mary I thought of you when I found that out)
    I love that combo with the Echinacea and the bee balm. The Echinacea looks like it almost has a pinkish color on the insides of the petals. I have a very similar daylily. What Echinacea is that?

Babs and T sorry about the falls. I hope you arent too stiff and sore. I tend to get a little wound up and not think and thats when I stumble and then remind my self to slow down.

T, I had to chuckle about Jamie being so discreet about the bathroom.

Babs, I read somewhere on line that the Blue Butterfly can be brought in and takes to pruning well.

Bug, I absolutely love that rose. Such pretty coloring.

We dont have anything planned for the day. So I think Ill hang out in the garden. I think we will have to check the corns height. Last summer on July 14 it was over my head. I think I posted pictures of it.

Have a great day

Michelle

Id had to show a few lily pictures as they are looking so lovely. How nice that they are blooming with the babies breath. I love the Gypsophila 'Pink Fairy'.

{{gwi:163844}}
    {{gwi:163846}}

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Nothing planned at our house today...just more hose dragging.
    The neighbor's fireworks appear to have came to an abrupt halt, after the cousin's hayfield up above us caught on fire a couple of days ago! Fortunately they were very fast at getting it put out.
    I certainly hope some of the showers north and west of us rub off on to us. This dry weather is a real concern.

The hooved rodents are expanding their diet. All of the sedum along the east bed have been pruned to naked stems. There are 6-7 of them, and they were quite sizable. Some additional victims last night were the Angelwing begonia, and much of the sultanas in the pot with the Kong Mosaic coleus. I had it out next to the young Bald Cypress. It is now on the deck. Two rather sparse orchid cactus had their few blooms chomped off and devoured. I have moved the large enamal pot,( with the large orchid cactus), from the stand in the island, to the deck. The potted pentas on an island bench were covered with blooms. They are mostly all nipped off. I hope that will not be the case with all the other potted plants on the 2 long benches. There is just not enough room on the deck for all of them....:-(
    If they develop a taste for the elephant ears and caladium I will REALLY flip my lid!

Sorry that both Teresa and Babs have suffered falls. I hope you are both okay. I am expecting to be a victim any time now. I do a lot of staggering, but seldom get all the way down...:-)

Eileen, I do hope you have really come to terms with the anxiety over IU3. I really doubt if you can totally escape being anxious, but I am sure your yard will be lovely, as it has always appeared to be, even in last year's drought.
    Sometimes I feel badly because my yard is such a far cry from all the beautiful ones that you all have, but then....I am not in competition. I garden strictly for my own pleasure. Is that selfish? Of course, if I lived where my yard was visible to the public I would be more concerned.About the only ones who see it, other than us, is the electric meter readers!( Two ladies. I think it is mother and daughter. )

Mary, I am so glad Annie had a nice time at her summer get-a-way.

Michelle, your vase bouquets are lovely.

Marie, I enjoy your pics, espacially the corn field...:-)

Hi to all that have posted, and to all who we haven't heard from for awhile.

Marian

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Happy 4th of July as well!!

I hope to enjoy the garden today before heading over to DD's for some dinner & company.

Must have been a day for falls & klutzes -- Im periodically a klutz & yesterday I somehow tripped over the wheelbarrow - left a nice gash on the leg & me feeling particularly stupid when I went flying backwards & hoping no one saw.....days like that I make sure to stay out of the kitchen because it's inevitably a disaster!

Ei -- love, love those shots - I've been lusting for Lauren's Grape poppy for several years - finally got about 4 plants to bloom this year - am hoping that's the "beginning" of getting them in the borders. Im looking forward to seeing your lovely "Monet's Gardens" in person - believe me, no one is coming to care about weeds or grass or what's perfect or not -- just looking forward to being surrounded by your lovely colors & inspired combinations -- even in rain!!

'bug - that's such a lovely clematis - I've been admiring it for a couple years -- been thinking I need to add it to the fence. Hope you got the car working again and your DH is recovering and he's not "enjoying poor health" too much!!

Michelle - wow - that combo of lilies & gypsophila - a perfect perfect combination!! I can't get the baby's breath to overwinter in my beds either - too much heavy clay I guess & too wet. & you are so talented in the bouquet department also.

Deanne - thanks for the sympathy re the buddleia - I knew you would commiserate with me as you have one -- yes, it gets over 8 or 9 feet every year & has been a total trooper in the yard - which is why its apparent failing is so sad. That was after severe cutting down to 12 inches every year..... I guess I'll leave it there in hopes it will recover somehow before I replace it next year.

Well, I'd best get on with the day - I've been a terrible slug here this morning; saundering in the back yard (in the bathrobe; picking mush mummies off the daylilies, coffee in the morning heat - yep - another scorcher here today - 90s...).

Hope everyone takes time to relax & re-group - not too much rushing around.

Cindy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Sue, I posted a message this morning and do not see it! Perhaps this is catching?

*****************Happy July 4TH!****************

The car has a new battery and I'm off to the bank and food shopping.

TaTa!
    'bug

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

{{gwi:163847}}

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I managed to get a few pics on my old camera...albeit not too good.
    The first 2 are for Eileen...of my Maacki and it's blooms:
    {{gwi:163848}}
    {{gwi:163849}}
    I was hoping they would be pale blue, but ,as you can see, they are rather yellowish, but not too bad for the 4th 0f July.

The next are some combos. The first is in honor of a couple of Deanne's gifts:
    {{gwi:163850}}
    If you look closely you can see the Iresine on the right of the Sedona.

The next is a couple of pots I put together from some of my rooted cuttings:
    {{gwi:163851}}
    And last is some more pots, including the remains of the Kong Mosaic pot...:-(
    {{gwi:163852}}

I took a pic of the deck with all it's colorful pots, but it is too washed out.

Marian

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Hi: )

Mary! I love that fuchsia! What sweet blooms it gets. It IS fun to try something different. Are you going to add it to one of your containers? I wonder if that propagates the same/(as well as) the fuchsias we are all familiar with.
    I think that is so neat that Annie's camp is in the Adirondacks-it does sound like a fun place with the activities she's done.

Thanks for your sympathy over my fall-I'm pretty good today just have a bruised feeling on my hip. I'm sure you want to know this, but I have a habit of sleeping on my right side and I can't : ( it just hurts like a--it really hurts; )
    T I don't like the sound of a twisted back-hope it feels better by now. I've been icing my wounds-the first 24-48 hrs are critical for ice to help swelling-thankfully I'm not swollen. I recommend it if you haven't yet. Motrin is my best friend too.

Ei-my Clerodendrum would never make it outside during winter-it definitely has to come indoors.(I so hope it can take my bad houseplant ways lol. I bet your variegated one was stunning! Hey your garden pics look pretty wonderful to me! Those orange echinaceas are a fun color! Your gardens are vibrant because they reflect you: )

Michelle-yes I can see how Clero. is a vigorous grower so I look forward to pruning it-right now it has buds that should be opening soon-I can show a pic when it does. I also thought I saw a topiary of Clerodendrum which would be fun to try once I know I won't kill it.
    WOw what pretty combos you've got there.
    How cool that you made your table...I was kind of kidding when I asked you that!lol. You are so talented in so many ways!

Marian you are having the worst luck with rain-I am thinking of setting up a pipeline to you so I can share my rainfall with you; )
    We had our fireworks on Sunday and it rained during them so they sped up the show so we wouldn't get rained out.

GB those pics are stunning!I like the cornfield especially-cool mist.

Don't mean to zip out of here but I have a cook out to attend.I made pasta salad.

Have fun!

~Babs

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I hope all are enjoying the holiday. Doug and I celebrated by going for a 32 mile bicycle ride. We went the entire length of the Nashua River Rail Trail and added an additional nine miles by bicycling from our house to the beginning of the trail at the NH/MA border.

Im a bit tired now, especially since we did 20 miles yesterday. Were hoping to be able to get up to 50 miles in a ride. (right now my bum cant take it! LOL) and eventually get up to being able to do century rides. That would put us in shape to be able to do bicycle touring in the fall. Anyway, weve never done fifty miles in two days before so weve definitely improved out fitness level over where we were last year.

Babs, I absolutely love your fireworks photograph! Very cool! ~~ Glad to hear you are feeling ok after your tumble yesterday. ~~ So can you take cuttings of that clerodendron???? Hmmmm, if so Id just love a bit of that when you do prune it.

Michelle, ROTFLOL! No dear, I dont have a huge basket on my bicycle I asked them to hold the plants for me until I could come back with my car. They know me well there and that isnt a problem. Doug said I needed an intervention when I came home from JoAnn Fabrics and Home Goods with more container stuff. Te he. He is such a good sport. I was hoping to find a big, blue, behemoth of a pot like Sue scored but they didnt have anything like that at our store. Le sigh. ~~ Those lily/gypsophila combinations are gorgeous! I especially love that yarrow with the yellow Asiatics. Wonderful!

Marian, your container gardens look fantastic and that Sedona is a knockout! How neat! It looks terrific with that sweet potato vine. ~~ I totally agree with you that a person should garden for their own pleasure. That is really what it is about and as you said it isnt a competition. ~~ So sorry about the deer. Id be apoplectic and probably looking to add a bit of venison to my diet.

Bug, that is pretty strange that you have a missing post also. I know Sue said she posted on the other thread and that went missing too. I had that happen about a month ago but it only was one time. Ive not had a problem since. ~~ Glad to hear your car is back on the road. Ill bet you detour to a nursery in your travels today. ~~ I was thinking of you yesterday when I was admiring my Betty Corning and Alionushka scrambling on the trellis I have them on in the side garden. Doug is going to build me a much larger trellis and after seeing Moniques Betty I know it is going to have to be large and sturdy.

Cindy, Id give that Pink Delight some time before giving up on it. We had a terrible winter a few years back and I didnt get any growth until almost July and then it was only one scrawny stem. It didnt get large that year but it did get about four feet tall and bloomed. It has become more vigorous each year since so Ill bet yours will come back. It is a beautiful thing isnt it?

Eileen, Ill bet Arabella becomes your favorite clematis when you add her to your gardens. She is so very sweet and ever blooming. Id have to say that Arabella is probably my favorite plant in my entire gardens. I do love something that is so free blooming and has such a long season with such a lovely colored flower. ~~ funny you should mention that Sues Britt Marie Crawford is darker than yours. Id have to say that mine isnt as dark either. ~~ I wish I could come over for Strawberry Shortcake. Ive not eaten one of those in years.

OK I've got to run and attempt to do something productive wth the rest of this day. Enjoy the rest of your day everyone.

Deanne

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

What a neat thing to do, Deanne! I never learned to ride a bicyle.
    Your nice comments about my pots pics inspired me to try
    some more. Following a nice shower of about 1/3rd inch the lighting was better on the deck.

Top view (again) of more coleus, including 1 from Deanne:

{{gwi:163853}}

Another,with 2 from Deanne:
    {{gwi:163854}}

Eileen's favorite combo, updated :

{{gwi:163855}}

And and overall view of about 3/4th of the deck pots:

{{gwi:163857}}

(Still not true to life! It is much more brilliant colored.)

Marian

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Why Marian, you're a plant container dynamo! I love all the combos you came up with! Am I wrong or is Ei's fav combo a foot taller than last time?? That just looks so nice.Cool Maaki tree-will the tree get pods or some type of fruit?
    I didn't have enough time earlier to pat you on the back and give you the empathetic heavy sigh that I do when I find a new plant added to the hooved rodent's menu. I'm so afraid they will discover the Clerodendrum I just bought and eat it to bits but it sounds like they ate all kinds of your plants! That is so frustrating: (

Deanne-reading about your bike jaunt has made my bum hurt too; ) Wow you two went far! That is terrific and so much fun to go together.
    Thanks about my firework pic.Last year I balanced the camera on a Pringles can...this time I opted for a tripod : )lol.

Cindy-I was interested in your Buddleia failing too. I'm new to them as I have had mine for only a couple years. I have 'Lochinch' but it's supposed to be a 4-6ft plant.Mine? It's just barely two feet. Tons of basal growth but not getting any taller: ( I was wondering if heavy clay was my problem. I always hear how massive these get but I'm not impressed so far lol. I hope yours recovers-I mean 12 inches of rain is ALOT of water for a plant that doesn't care for it. Also I assume that Buddleia doesn't need fertilizer-have you ever fertilized yours?

Oops Ei I forgot to say I would love some of Betty Corning if you do find a stray one(that you haven't mulched over lol just kidding; )

This one is short and sweet cuz I need sleep.

~Babs

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

YEAH! Marians sharing pics again! :-) Wow~ what a visual treat! Thanks for sharing the Maackii tree...I didnt know the flowers were suppose to be purple? Obviously mine has never bloomed, but I love those panicles of flowers and Id be happy whether purple or yellow! :-) Your tree has a very nice shape too, Im anxious to see the shape of mine...LOL! Its crammed between a Viburnum and a Arbovitae. I still plan to move it in the fall and put it in the driveway....nice to know what it will look like! :-) Thanks Marian! And, no wonder you are enjoying your deck so much this year, I would be too. The deck is so colorful and cheerful, why it would make anyone smile! :-) That planter with the begonias and coleus is still a favorite. Now I remember the hypoestes, coleus (did you over winter it?) and begonias...but am I forgetting something? Is there something new in there too, or is it, as Babs says, just that your coleus have become so much larger? Anyway...I *do* love that combo. I also love your combo with the coleus that has the white center...very elegant looking. And, is that Alabama Sunset that everyone but me seems to have? Its a beauty...I will definitely put that one on my list for next year. What is the pretty variegated plant with your New Guinea Impatiens? Very nice and I also like that gold and green variegated plant too...what is that one called? Marian, I am just so tickled that you are showing pics again...Ive missed your contributions! Too bad about the fire Marian, but you sound about as excited as I get about fireworks...LOL! Well, I actually like the pretty ones, but am so sick of hearing "the bombs"....poor Scout too. All he has been doing for the last 4 days is growling and barking every time a firecracker goes off...poor thing he is just exhausted! If I didnt feel so sorry for him I would lose my mind between the barking and the bombs...LOL! Well, hopefully tomorrow all of that will come to an end. One of my neighbors did put on a beautiful show of fireworks tonight though and DH, sis, my brother, mom and I all enjoyed them from my deck! :-) Re the Idyllunion. Well, yes, I am still going to be anxious, but not so anxious anymore that it ruins my attitude. What Mary said to me really gave me pause to think. Of course, I would want the Idylls to like my garden, but really, as Mary said, what matters is how *I* feel about my garden. My garden has been a true friend. As Cindy said...I never get lonely in the garden so its been a great companion and any time I need to work out a problem, working in the garden has always been my therapy. *And* whether it is beautiful or sometimes no so beautiful to me, it has always been there to bring me joy and inspiration and gratitude for all the wonder of it. You know that saying "A thing of beauty is a joy forever."? I think it really should be "*Joy* is a thing of beauty forever." :-) And whether the garden is beautiful to anyone else but me really doesnt matter in the end. Besides, what is *most* important to me is that the Idylls come and have a good time...I know Ive said it before, but I am really looking forward to meeting everyone! :-)

Babs I *love* your 4th of July pic. Silly me, I thought it was something you copied...not an actual picture that you took...I forgot who I was dealing with! :-) What a photographer! Love the printed words too. Do you have special graphics software? My paintshop pro seems to be very limited in what fonts and styles I can use and very few picture frames or border styles. Id love to experiment with something new, I think it would be a lot of fun to play with. Bummed about the Clero having to come indoors...I have *no luck* with houseplants! :-( Oh well, I will just have to enjoy it vicariously through you. :-) Great! :-) I would *love* to share some of B.C. with you...I *know* we can find a nice piece thats started. The other day I was looking at the one I moved out back and there looks to be 2 or 3 plants there. LOL about the mulching...ya know Babs, I always get such a kick out of you! :-) The fact is I *did* mulch the back of the beds (even though I had told you I wasnt). Had too...I went to the back of the beds and OMIGOSH it was a field of weed seedlings and bush clover. I dont mean that pretty plant people actually put in their yards...I mean I had clover so bad they actually looked like shrubs! I kid you not, about 2 feet tall and almost that wide around. Guess I need to work in the back of my gardens more often, huh? LOL!

Deanne, you never cease to amaze me.....*50 MILES*! Wow! But it must be very exhilarating and rewarding to accomplish something like that. I dont really enjoy bicycle riding. Its not the riding I dont enjoy, but the fact that I am deaf in one ear. I cant hear where the cars are coming from if they are behind me and I always fear getting hit. Still, I used to ride with Paul for awhile and he would ride ahead of me and turn back to yell to me "car coming"...or "on the left"...etc. It was okay, but having this problem really does take a lot of joy out of the outing. Funny, I was just thinking. Its been so many years (I was about 3) since it happened and I am *so* used to it that I actually have to *think* about which of my ears is deaf...LOL! Anyway, I think it is *so* neat that you will do some bicycle touring this fall. Where are you guys going to go?

Cindy...I think that may be the most flattering thing anyone has said to me! :-) Thank you! Quite a few years ago the Chicago Flower & Garden Show had an exhibit created by the Chicago Park District. It was their take on Monets Giverny. The colors just made me weak in the knees and I remember thinking if I could create something even one one-hundredth that beautiful I would be the happiest gardener on earth. I *love* Monets garden. In fact, seeing Monets garden in person is on my Top 10 list of things to do before I die. :-) So thanks, you really tickled this gardener. :-)

Well girls, Im pretty pooped myself, so its to bed for me too. Have to get up early to give DH a proper send off on his road trip and make sure he is all packed and has everything he needs. Geesh...Im already getting anxious about his leaving.

Marie...glad you were able to get your battery and able to travel again...Im sure you are too! :-)

Good Night All and Sweet Dreams! Ei

Think I'll sign off with one of my favorite Stevie Ray Vaughn songs....

One night while sleeping in my bed I had a beautiful dream
    That all the people of the world got together on the same wavelength and began helping one another

Now in this dream, universal love was the theme of the day
    Peace and understanding and it happened this way

The sick, the hungry, had smiles on their faces
    The tired and the homeless had family all around
    The streets and the cities were all beautiful places
    And the walls came tumblin down

People of the world all had it together
    Had it together for the boys and the girls
    And the children of the world look forward to a future
    Remember....

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock people, times tickin away
    Remember that

I had a vision of blue skies from sea to shining sea
    All the trees in the forest stood strong and tall again
    Everything was clean and pretty and safe for you and me
    The worst of enemies became the best of friends

People of the world all had it together
    Had it together for the boys and the girls
    Children of the world look forward to a future

Remember
    Remember that

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Oops! Me again! I forgot to tell Michelle how much I enjoyed her pretty lilies. You are right...how nice that the baby's breath blooms at the same time as your lily...it makes the perfect foil! :-) Oh and I would *love* some of the red poppy Michelle...Thank you! And if I have any seed you would like...just speak up! :-)

Okay...Good Night Girls! Speaking of which...I *miss* Bruce and all the great stories about his wonderful little family! :-(

Ei

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all,

It looks like it is going to be a wonderful day here. There is a chance of T storms later but I dont think well get any. We seem to be out of that pattern for now. The gardens are doing their July abundance thing and every morning when I get up I just cant believe what a show they are putting on. The white astilbe in the terrace garden are still blooming for another few days and my lovely double Shasta daisies have made a comeback and are beautiful right now. I almost lost them in that bad winter a few years ago and Ive had them for twenty years or so. Anyway, they are such a cheerful sight and make me smile when I see their fluffy flower centers. The Clematis Polish Spirit on the arch is absolutely wonderful this year and the blue C. Arabella flowers on the other side are a perfect companion. My Fuchsia Beacon is finally hitting her stride. I thought youd like to see what this is looking like this morning. I dont think you can get such a showing from a fuchsia from a first year plant so it makes all that work to winter them over worth it.
    {{gwi:163858}}

Michelle, I dont remember if I commented on your remark about visiting and I wanted to make sure you know that youre welcome to come for a visit any time. That would be such a fun time if you ever could do it. ~~ BTW, after I drooled over your lily photo, I had to chuckle. I swear our minds think alike with combinations. Ive always felt like I could move into your garden and be perfectly comfortable. I believe you have a L. Alexander planted by your sundial also as well as other things that feel familiar to me because they are either the same or similar to things Ive done. I have Gypsophila with these as well as the Persicaria polymorpha. Im so grateful Monique convinced me that I needed to grow this persicaria. It is such an impressive plant.
    {{gwi:163859}}

Monique, I wanted to show you this container combination that you and Les inspired. The Fuchsia Billy Green is just beginning to set buds. I also added the pentas and lisianthus as well as a Coprosmia kirkii for a trailing plant and fiber optic grass as a filler. Ill have to show you a pic when the fuchsia blooms.
    {{gwi:163861}}
    So sorry Les is under the weather. That is a pretty high fever! I sure hope hes feeling better soon. ~~ Thanks for the paint information. I thought it might be exterior gloss but wanted to make sure. ~~ LOL about my shirt matching your painting. I didnt realize how well until I saw that photo. Too funny, thanks for posting that. ~~ BTW if you have a chance Doug would like the recipe for the corn salad.

Eileen, I dont think Id like bicycling either if I had to worry about not hearing the cars. One of the reason we love the rail trail is that there are no cars on it. When you aren't on a bicycle trail, you have to be so very careful because the cars just dont see you on a bicycle. It seems ever time we ride there is a close call or two. ~~ I love your quote, "Joy is a thing of beauty forever" so true! Thanks for that thought.

Marian, I love, love, love all your container plants. Do you know what that coleus is with the white center and ruffled green edges??? Id like to get my hands on that one. What a terrific plant. Your deck is so colorful it must make you smile.

Babs, didnt you and Chris do some bicycling??? I thought he was into it big time and you were training on a stationary bicycle. Doug and I are now talking about doing a rail trail on Cape Cod that is 25 miles long so it would be a 50 mile round trip. I think that would be a great challenge for our first fifty miler and what scenery! It goes along the ocean and sand dunes. The only problem with doing the longer rides is that it makes me ravenously hungry. I could have eaten the kitchen sink yesterday and probably wound up eating too much for the day but after we got home I kept getting hungry.

OK Ive got to get some watering done here and get my day started. Have a wonderful day everyone.
    Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Deanne and anyone else who is curious about Persicaria/Tovara, whatever the heck they call it these days 'Painter's Pallette', don't buy it. Although I wouldn't consider it aggressive because it's easy to yank, it does seed somewhat heavily. Maybe I can get a few pots of it onto the plane for IU3 and get it to everyone who wants some.

Marian, your deck container garden looks great!

Michelle I have to say that since I spent all the time getting the majority of my garden weeded and mulched last weekend I'm enjoying it much more also. I can deadhead amd putter with the annuals and pots without feeling guilty about the heavy work not being done.

Sue

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Good morning! I'm back from my trip and it was wonderful! I thought I would share one quick story (for 'bug!) and then catch up on my reading as well as a little bit of work.

Quebec City, of course, is totally French-speaking (francophone is their term). On our first day, we would be greeted with a cheery "Bon jour!" and we would respond with something that sounded like "Bon jeer". The person then would immediately smile and say "English?" and proceed on in flawless English. After a day or so, our accents improved and so when we responded with our "Bon jour!" the person would go on to say something more in French. Now we would respond with blank looks, and then we would get the "English?" question. I should emphasize that ALWAYS the people were very friendly and helpful and very competent in English. Finally, our last morning we stopped at a little counter service cafe for coffee and a snack. After exchanging "Bon jours!" with the girl behind the counter, I ordered "un chausson de pomme, sil vous plait" which was a type of apple turnover. The girl responded with a simple question, "Pour ici?" Now, at the point I am gloating just a little bit, because I'm actually conducting a transaction in French! The girl has just asked me if I want my food "For here?" and I gleefully respond, "Si!"

Oops! Wrong language! Boy, did my balloon deflate quickly... But we all had a good laugh, and the chausson de pomme was quite tasty.

TTYL,

Mme. V.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Thanks for your kind comments on my pics. I cannot emphasize enough that the colors are much more intense than the pics.

Eileen, the Maackii is advertised as having white to pale blue blossoms. I would prefer that to the yellowish ones. Maybe they will get more whitish as they age. The planter with the Coleus, Begonias, and Hypostes also has Graptopetalum (a succulent) tucked in along the front. They are only about an inch tall, and 2 inches wide, and grey. The Coleus is the same type as last year, but the Begonias last year had pink blooms and green leaves. The Hypostes were more white with pink. The height is the same. I like this one, but think I liked last year's better. I may have just pinched back the coleus before last year's pic. I've nipped these some, but will continue to do so to make them shorter and bushier. The coleus with the white-looking center is one of the six-pac of ruffled coleus that I bought. Actually the centers are more of a pale yellow. I love those ruffled coleus. They generally don't get as large and bushy as the type Deanne sent...espacially the Sedona and the Alabama Sunset.

Ooops, I almost forgot that I was going to a funeral this morning...gotta go! I'll continue this later.

Marian

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Bon Matin

Glad you had a great trip Mmm V! We had a very nice July 4th here, swimming, a BBQ then the town fireworks. I'm glad we don't have too many home fireworks going off in our neighborhood - it can be so scary. HOpe Eden is OK as I remember in other years it being hectic for her.

I've just dropped David off at "Summer Fun" and Annie and her friend for the start of reheasals for a musical. The school is offering a Summer Enrichment program for a production of Joseph and Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. They will meet mornings for 5 weeks to put on a the show with everyone singing and dancing (jazz shoes required) complete with pit orchestra. We spent the last couple of days going over the dance audition tape and it was tricky - I think they will all be working hard. The singing audition "Any Dream Will Do" is much easier. The teachers and dance coaches are fantastic and will make it a lot of fun.

Marian - I LOVE your pots and shots of your trees. Its hard to imagine that not that long ago very few of us were growing coleus.

Deanne - I'm in awe of a 50 mile bike ride. As my riding is limited to the distance David can make it I think 7 miles is our longest. Persicaria polymorphia is such an amazing plant isn't it? Your fuschia are just gorgeous. My "Swing time" is absolutely amazing, I have it near the pond in part shade and every day it is more spectacular.

Monique - do hope Les is feeling better - 103F is scary for an adult.

Ei - your Laure's Grape poppies are beautiful - I would lOVE some seed. I've only seen them in catalogs before. Would you like some of my double red to try yourself - I'll post a pic later.

Babs and T - hope you are both recovering from those falls, Both sound very nasty.

Time to head out into the garden - tomorrow it is 2 weeks till I leave for IU3 - wow!

Mary

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Scattered musings here-

Lauren's Grape seedlings have turned from rich dark purple to bright red this year. Quite a shocker.

Marian, that long display on your porch is lovely. I sure hope the deer don't think it is a banquet! I know what you mean by colours in photos not always being true.

V, I do that stunt often. I know small smatterings of about 6 languages and never remember which is which when a quick response is needed. C'est la vie!

Today I should be working hard outdoors because it is cool and dry. But I am tired this morning and keeping my eye on DH before he braves a half day at the office and a voice lesson.

I picked this coleus up at the small grocery in town and have been enjoying it. Can't recall its name. It really is more orangy than this shows. I have it written somewhere....
    {{gwi:163863}}
    This may give a better idea of the colour:
    {{gwi:163865}}

This rose is a favourite and it dies back every year, but I love it so much that I am patient with it.
    Felicia:
    {{gwi:148105}}

And finally, a little clematis that I think is sweet:
    Hakuree
    {{gwi:163867}}

Much to be accomplished, so off I go!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I forgot to include this shot for Deanne of Clematis Arabella fighting it out with the honeysuckle.

{{gwi:163870}}

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Okay, now a few comments in no particular order.

Ei, Im glad you found the FOTE and that Scout likes it too!

bug, sorry for the mechanical woes. I can sympathize; my UAV developed transmission problems as we hauled the six of us to the airport last Friday and its back in the shop today. I just hate car problems and the shuffling necessary to get them (half)resolved. But thanks so much for the link to Woodys garden tour. Her yard looked fantastic, her benches, gate and A/C corral are wonderful and she looks great herself. Another former Idyller that I really miss

We had a bit of shocking news while we were traveling. The day we left, the local news was all about Randy Walker, the Northwestern University football coach who died suddenly from a heart attack at age 52. DHs cousin Rick, who is 53, was talking to his parents on Friday about Coach Walker, and said he had had chest pains on and off for two years but had not done anything about it. Well, the next night he was out to dinner with some friends and had a heart attack! He was so very fortunate that there was a doctor and a nurse in the restaurant, so they started CPR immediately. Hes in the hospital and will have a defibrillator implanted today. Hes the last person that you would expect this to happen to, as hes so slender you almost think hes too thin, and he does lots of physical work every day. So everyone please tell those idiot men that you love to not ignore chest pain!

Babs, I hope that hip is doing better!

T, be careful! And let me make mother hen clucking noises and ask you if you are sure youre just being klutzy and that theres nothing else going on? We love klutzes, but we dont like health issues.

Marian, glad to see that your camera is cooperating again. All the photos are great, but I particularly like the ruffled coleus with the green edge and white center very cool! I do hope you get some drought relief soon. Im sure thats why the menu of the hooved rodents is expanding.

Okay, I was getting really confused because I couldnt find Moniques post about Les being sick. I swear that I looked three times for a separate thread on the NE get together and that it did not appear on my computer until just a few minutes ago.

Thanks for all the lovely photos from everyone. So much fun to enjoy!

Ei, I got your messages but didnt call you because I was gone! I shall try today tell Paul to turn down the music!!!

Okay, piles of work await

V.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Yesterday was spent puttering in the garden. I like the feeling of being somewhat caught up so that I can enjoy it more. We did go over to a country nursery that is only about 5 miles from us. I hadnt been there this year. I did find another pelogonium that I dont have and 5 perennials. It is an interesting place as they have converted the barn into a 2 story gift/antique shop and there are lots of things for kids as well. Mini golf, volleyball court etc. She had some nice big containers but they were pretty spendy. There was a pinkish/burgundy one and a cobalt blue one that I like but resisted.

Marian, I can sympathize about the dry conditions. It is very dry here again. How great to see some pictures from you again. Your containers have some very interesting plants and seem to be so lush and full.

Cindy, not you too. I think this falling thing is catching.

Babs, very cool fireworks picture. You sure know how to handle a camera.

Deanne, Im impressed that you and Doug can bike so far. I used to do that, but then I was in my 30s. I doubt that I could do it now. The bike trail looks very nice. We have quite a few around here that are built on old rail beds. There is one around the lakes that is very nice. It goes along some of the lakes and over some bridges as well.
    Ei was thrilled with Cindys comparing her garden with Monets, but it is quite a compliment to have you compare my garden to yours. You made my day! Your lilies look fabulous with that persicaria and the clematis on the other side. I may need to look for that plant. I like that caladium, I wish some of mine looked like that instead of red and green. You will definitely have to tell me how to over winter fuchsia to get such nice big ones. My beacon is just getting started.

Mary, how fun for Annie to be in a summer musical. I too cant wait for IU3.

Have a good day all

Michelle

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Babs, I grew Clerodendrum ugandense 'Blue Butterfly' last year. It got a few feet tall-I've posted the photo from probably last August or early September. I just found it again and bought a couple for my beds.
    {{gwi:163874}}

V-glad you had a good time in Quebec. I found the people in France very cordial also as long as you greeted everyone you saw. They appreciate proper etiquette-you must "bonjour" everyone.

Hubby is doing better today-his temp ranged from 100-103 yesterday and I was getting really worried-he's basically been in bed since Saturday evening. This morn his temp was normal but I told him to relax and take another day off of work.

Deanne-love the Fuchsia 'Billy Green' combinations!

Marian-great combos in those pots-your deck is so colorful!

GB-thought you didn't like coleus :o)?

Mary, we had a lot of fireworks going off in our neighborhood unfortunately. Oliver hates them and barks everytime he hears one-had to try to keep him quiet last night since hubby was resting. The one year I was really concerned was when we were having a major drought and I thought they could cause a fire.

Babs and T-hope you "guys" feel better after your falls. I fell a few weeks ago in front of a bunch of people during that Doggie fun zone we took Oliver to. We had to climb over fencing and gates and my foot caught on one of them and I went down in slow motion to the soft earth. No pain, just major embarassment. Hubby had a good laugh. Oliver couldn't care less.

Speaking of Doggie Fun Zone (the lure coursing/agility obstacle course) that Oliver did. Here are some photos taken by the owner. It is a little complicated to get to-doesnt work if I give you the direct link.

Go to this website (I put the link below also):
    http://doggiefunzone.com/GREENWICH%20EXAMPLE.htm

Scroll down the page and click on the box labeled "Greenwich photos"

Under June 2006 events, click on "Greenwich Kennel Club 6/10/2006"

Enter an email address (maybe you could use a bogus one if youre uncomfortable using your real one)

Click on [enter proof view]

Choose the Saturday pictures TWO

Oliver is the last photo on page 2, and then all of page 3 along with a photo of us. Look how long is tongue is in the photo of all of us. He had a blast.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Afternoon all,

Well I took my friend to her PT today and she is doing much better. I'm so relieved that she is really starting to move around more and is actually practicing with her cane instead of using her walker exclusively. Next week she is going to her doctor on Monday and they will give her an update on how much longer it will take before she can start driving again. Now if I could get her and her DH to do something about the horrific diet they eat things would really be improving. She claims she can't do anything about it now because her DH is doing all the grocery shopping. I told her just because the food is in the house you don't have to eat it. He's had two heart attacks and still eats cold cuts and sliced deli cheese by the pound. Oh well, you can advise, support and recommend but you can't make people eat better. They have to choose that for themselves.

Monique, I LOVE those pics of Oliver! I didn't even recognize him in that first photograph. He looks like he is having the time of his life. How do you train them to do that obstacle course? And that photograph with all of you is great! He looks like he's tired but happy. ~~ So happy you 'approve' of the combination with the 'Billy Green'. I absolutely can't wait until that starts blooming! ~~ So happy to hear Les is feeling better today. Those kind of temps are not good at all. I wonder where the heck he caught that bug. ~~ We had a lot of fireworks in the neighborhood here this year and like you I worry about fire. ~~ That Clerodendrum photo is lovely. Did you have that when we cane down last summer?

Michelle, Im sure you could build back up to doing 30 mile bike rides. Its just a matter of having the time to do it. ~~ The caladium in that arrangement are the ones I bought at Loews last week. None of the ones I started from the Sams Club box are that large yet. I dont think Im going to bother with starting them again unless I get some heat mats for under the flats in the house. Im sure they are really slow because of the cold, rainy spring. I do have a few pink ones and actually noticed a couple white and green ones the other day so I do have a few different colors. ~~ I know youd love Persicaria polymorpha. It just needs a lot of room but it really has a lot of impact in the border.

V. great to have you back and good to hear you had a great vacation in Canada. LOL about answering in Spanish! You are too funny!

Bug, love your photos and especially the one with Arabella of course! That coleus is Peter Wonder. I love that particular variety as it is vigorous and picks up such great color on the undersides of the leaves as well. It grew well for me in sun and shade here last summer and I have a few sprinkled in the containers again this year.

Mary, how neat your F. Swingtime is doing so well. It sounds like it is happy by your pond. ~~ How great Annie is going to be in a play this summer. Ill bet she has a ball with that. What does David do at Summer Fun?

Sue, Id love to have a seedling of that persicaria when next we see each other.

Ok Im off to do a bit of puttering outside. Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Well, for some reason I couldnt log on this morning - but it could have been p.c. problems here at home - last day of "freedom" before reporting back to "duty" tomorrow -- and it's rained all afternoon (like we needed more rain!!) - horrible t-storm last nite too before the fire works. But Im not among the fans of crowds on the Mall & big booms, so I usually am happy trying to keep Chloe not freaking out either -- have a stupid neighbor whose son set off his stuff last nite on the bike path behind our houses - probably about 5 feet from his house fence & next to the woods -- such stupid people - luckily I kept thinking, it's wet out so hpefully nothing will catch on fire!

Babs - love that clero - I think I saw a topiary standard at the Phila Flower show this year that was to die for -- I remember your photo of it, Monique - such a gorgeous color!! Babs, hope you get to feeling a lot better from that fall soon -- I call Motrin "vitamin I" -- sometimes it seems it's a gardener's best friend after a long, long day. It sure helps w/ those major aches & pains.

Marian, your containers are rivals to the other addicts here -- that is almost a fulltime occupation watering all of them isnt? LOL.

Sue, Im glad to hear that about the persicaria - I thought that's what I had read about it being a problem re-seeder & invasive & had avoided it previously - but was tempted when I saw it in that container! Now, I'll resist again.....I have too small a garden to be constantly battling plant invasions along with weed battles!

I will count myself among the Arabella admirers - mine is in its 2nd season & is still going strong -- it's one of the few clematis that is really still putting out a lovely flush of blooms here; Etoile Violette & Emilia Plater may be the others; Im hoping the rest will send up some new after their rests and some fertilizing (sheesh, dont need to worry about water for these guys now in this area....). Just call this area Swamptown, USA! Maybe I really should look into loving tropicals...

'bug - that Hakuree is so sweet - I think you're lulling me into really liking some of those integrefolia types (I think that's one isnt it??) - purty, purty.... It would be nice to find some really late blooming ones that might bloom w/ daylilies & mid-season plants. Eeek, Lauren's Grape reseeded red? bummer!

Deanne - wow -- that's amazing - such endurance for bike rides -- boy, more than my bum would be hurting by about 4 miles.... you're a good friend to encourage your friend -- boy, at that rate, her DH after 2 heart attacks, seems to have a death wish - she's liable to be left alone so that should be a motivator to get her own health & weight under control. But there are some people (like heavy smokers) who seem to have such an addiction to tobacco or even food.... but you're a wonderful role model for her to look towards & see that it CAN be done!

Ei - I really wasnt trying to flatter you - when I see your garden photos, it reminds me of Monet's Giverny -- with the types of plants, colors, etc. & you've done a masterful job of evoking the same spirit (I venture to say with a lot fewer human worker bees too).

Well, this is a lot longer than expected - hope I dont lose it when I try to post!

--Cindy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Oakie doakie...back to answering Eileen's questions..yes, that is Alabama Sunset,( thanks Deanne). The variegated plant with the New Guinea Impatiens is another Impatiens, Fiesta Ole'Peppermint. It has the cutest all double blossoms,like little roses. The gold and green variegated plant is Euonymus japonicus Aureo-marginatis. It is waiting to go into the ground...:-)
    I have no idea where to put it, and am even harboring the thought of planting it in front of the church building!I will wait until fall, and hope for rains,to settle it in, where-ever I plant it.
    I agree with you on the fireworks. Some are very pretty. Tommy was disturbed with all the popping going on up the road from us. Nolon attempted to take him and Trubby for their evening walk, but neither one would go. Last night I could see a cousin's fireworks that went up high enough that I could see them through the trees.I stood out on our front porch and watched.
    Sorry about Scout, and other dogs, being so disturbed by them. I suspect it hurts their ears.

Babs, thanks..:-) I have never seen the pods on my tree, since this is it's first ever blooms. I would imagine they are pea type pods since it is a member of that family.
    Yes, the hooved rodent problem is very frustrating, but I have decided there is so little I can do about it...I just have to grit my teeth and bear it ( no, I'm not going to 'grin' and bear it ! ). Count me in with those who thought you copied the fireworks pic. It is great !

Deanne, no matter how often you post your gorgeous Fuchsia pics you cannot entice me to attempt to grow one again! :-)I've learned my lesson.
    Your pics are sooo lovely! I love the Persicaria but suspect it would be more deer food. :-(
    I like the caladiums in the 3rd pic. I planted 3 packages of WalMart caladiums. They were labeled as 2 differant varieties and a combination. Almost all of them ended up being dark red and green!! I 'wanted' the lighter varieties. So, the other day when they had pots of mixed pastel colors I bought one, and repotted them in a larger pot.It is on the deck, but not in the pics.
    The link about the rail trail is interesting. I am hoping that is what will be done with the ridge where the railroad tracks used to be, abutting my folks farm on Camas Prairie, in Idaho. I was disappointed to see it going back to 'nature' when I was last there with my sister. I spent the first 13 years of my life along those tracks. Walked the rails many times. Even hunkered under a bridge while the train went over once...:-) ...just 'for fun'! The swallows had nests under the bridges.
    No, I don't know the name of that coleus, it was one of a six-pac of mixed ones. I always watch for those type. I have 4-5 differant colors and love them all.
    I am so glad your friend has taken your advice, and is improving. I hope she gets the food issue corrected also. You are a good friend.

Sue, that Persicaria/Tovara sounds like the mimosa. They are beautiful, but I rue the day I planted them on our place! Thanks for liking my pics.

Mary,your children are involved in so many nice,fun, things. Lucky kids.
    Thanks to you, too, on my pics. I have grown coleus for many, many years, and have carried them over year after year.

Monique, I am so glad your DH is better. That must have been scary! I love that Clerodendrum, but , again...it would probably be deer fodder!
    It sounds like you and your doggies all had a 'blast'. It would be fun to watch.

Marie...lol, for a coleus 'hater' you are doing good ! That is a beautiful one. So are your rose, clematis, and honeysuckle.

V, how fortunate that your DH's cousin had the right help when he needed it. How Scary ! Yes, age does not seem to make much of a difference in who is going to be struck down by a serious condition. Neither does a person's appearance, and health habits.
    I am tickled that my camera has been cooperating again. I hold my breath every time I take a pic, and transfer them to my computer after most every one I take.

Mary, I am tempted to name all the plants in the 2 pics of cutting's combos. They are an interesting collection...:-)
    For one thing, the variegated green and white plants look alike, but aren't. One is a kalanchoe, the other is a peperomia.

For all who have suffered falls, I hope you are recovering in good shape. It seems like the'domino effect' ! When something happens to one of us, it happens to several !

Marian

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Hope you all had a good holiday! With all the family stuff going on here I hardly had a chance to check the Idylls over the weekend and am just grabbing a minute while Bella's eating her dinner now. Not much to say, my mom hopefully will start chemo next week, Bella's keeping me busy and I've been chopping things down in the garden and moving stuff around so it looks like a real mess out there now but I keep telling myself how great it will look next year. I'm going to go back and try to read and catch up later tonight after I put Bella to bed if I'm not too tired by then too! I'll try to be back soon but things are pretty hectic here...

Eden

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Good to see you there Eden-I've been thinking of you and your mom.

Marian thanks for the compliment on the firework pic(Ei & Deanne too!)

T I've been wondering if you're having residual pain from the fall-have you been OK? Man was I stiff the day after and it's taken quite a while to feel normal(that means I am getting older-remember taking a spill as a kid?). I am a little concerned because I'm getting that sciatica pain I used to get.
    Monique here's a hug because you cheered me up with your tale of your own fall-I do remember that! I kept trying to tell myself that other people fall too(naturally never at Target though hehe)so I shouldn't get embarrassed-but man you just DO!: ) I can laugh now but AJ's first words after I had fallen was MOM ARE YOU *PARALYZED*?-he was so worried. So there's me reassuring AJ I'm still functioning while I'm wanting to cry but I held it together. Yeesh.
    BTW(new subject) I love that pic of your Clero.! Mine is already three feet and they grow to ten in the wild so we'll see how it is by fall: ). I think I need to move to zone 9 so I can put this thing in the ground lol.

Cindy thanks for letting me know you've seen this as a topiary(now I know I'm not crazy)-and I am going to try and root a stem too.

Deanne-Chris is really the biker babe here. I am afraid of traffic. I do think once we get Ryan riding for longer routes sans his training wheels we'll all go out riding but definitely on a bike path.

I have to make this short cuz I need sleep-tomorrow is orientation for the new job. I also go on Fri too. Forget manicures I get to be fingerprinted-woo hoo! I was quickly reminded today about the joys of finding something to wear for work--ugh. With the pay I'm getting I'll have plenty to buy a new wardrobe and nothing else lolol. "Good grief" I have to be there by 8:30 AM! This is a new concept to me during summer. I even get breakfast!....just coffee please; )(I bet they won't have Bailey's)

~Babs

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all,

We are having a few sprinkles this morning then it is supposed to clear and stay in the mid 70's. I've got a bit of work to take care of downstairs but I really want to get my new Arabella in the ground before I do anything else today.

That C. 'Polish Spirit' on my arch is just getting better and better. Now I know why I've tried for years to get these plants to grow. When they are happy there is nothing else quite like them.

Bug, do you remember that clematis you cleaned out for me in the back garden last year? Well that one died and I planted that C. 'Odoriba' in the same spot. It was doing really well but now it has a large stem dying from the ground. I didn't think those Texensis types wilted. What's with that? The only other thing it could be would be rodent damage.

I'd thrown these lilies in behind the sundial last year because I didn't have anywhere else to put them and I'm in love with how they look against the 'Bonica' rose. One of those happy accidents.
    {{gwi:163875}}

Marian, LOL I'll wear you down! Just kidding, you are too funny, I'm really not trying to entice you to grow fuchsia. I just love them as they are so free blooming. I've converted a couple here who didn't used to grow fuchsia though so you never know.

Babs, good luck on the new job. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Eden, great to hear from you. I was wondering where you'd gotten off to. I've got a couple beds here that need major cutting back and moving around and I might just do it. My side garden has a clump of old fashioned white phlox panniculata and the dratted plant get the worst case of powdery mildew on it every single year. Arrgghh!!! I'm thinking I'm going to just take it out of there as there are so many better varieties these days. I can split my 'David' in the Driveway Garden in the fall and see how that goes in that location.

Cindy, what a bummer about getting more rain. Just what you don't need. We are supposed to be rain free here for a few days with sunny weather in the 80's so that will be a treat. ~~ I'd be furious with that neighbor for setting fireworks off so close to a fence and building. I can't imagine what some people are thinking, but in fact, they really aren't thinking.

OK I've got to get a move on here. I have to get all the garden chores done this AM and won't be able to putter about tonight as we are going out for dinner to celebrate Doug's birthday tonight.

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday to Doug, my oldest friend BettyAnne and George Dubya! Quite the day for birthdays, huh?

Babs should be getting ready to start her new job right around now. Good luck!

Still no internet at home. The cable people are coming out on Friday morning. They think it may be faulty wiring. I'm having withdrawls and I'm too busy with month end to catch up while at work.

Let me reiterate on the Persicaria...it's not invasive. It does not spread by underground runners, it seeds like say, Cleome-especially in areas where you don't mulch. If it comes up somewhere you don't wat it you just yank. I haven't found it to be a nuisance at all and can't imagine a garden without it.

OK, my time is up.

Sue

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

So Sue, how old is your oldest friend, 114? ;-)

And do you mean OUR Doug? (You don't mind if we share, right Deanne) Here's my card to Doug, figuring he isn't interested all that much in flowers.

{{gwi:163877}}

Deanne, my Odoriba just today started getting mildew. I think it is the location that is partly to blame. I just love that plant and sprayed it with some mildew stuff I found in the garage. We shall see.

Today it is COLD and I am shivering in shorts. May have to change soon before heading off to the dump and other exciting business.

More later I expect,
    'Bug

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Lovely morning. I went to the garden around six and had to wear a long sleeve shirt.

Happy Birthday Doug!

Sue, too bad my company isn't your cable company. We come out usually the same day.

Babs, good luck at the new job.

Cindy, I sure wish I could have your rain.

Marian, I think the double impatiens are so sweet. I don't have any this year.
    Deanne, that is a beautiful lily, it reminds me of cotton candy.

Michelle

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

Very little time to write but came across some fun reading this morning and wanted to share it with you. Follow the link at the bottom of the page.....I've not looked at all on the page but there is a cute story called the Porta-Potty story or something like that. It is part way down the page in the right column. Hope you get a smile from the site.

DH is still on vacation so my computer time is limited. He actually has me working, geesh! We're heading to DD's house this morning to house sit while she is at the OB doctor. The building inspector is suppose to arrive today to inspect the sheetrock that is being done on their home addition/remodel. I cannot remember if I told you that we had a semi and huge trailer come last Friday to haul the excavator to their (DD & SIL's) home. DH has been using it to move dirt and rock where the excavating was done when the shop & home addition were built. I'm probably not making a bit of sense, am I? LOL Some people don't make sense when rushed...... ;o)

Gosh, sorry to read that the falling was a bit catchy to others here. I'm okay, just my wrist and elbow are a bit sore and my upper back feels like it could benefit from a massage. I'm a bit concerned about how often I'm falling down, hoping that it is just a combination of being out of shape and the arthritis in my left knee. I'm going to hide my head in the sand a bit longer---hoping to get myself into better shape to see if that takes care of the falling.

Well, I've been caught sitting here too long. I'd better get out of this chair and on with the day. Perhaps I can share some photos later. I never did show Jamie & the big equipment nor so many other things I've been snapping photos of.

My best to all.....(Happy Birthday Doug!!!!! May you be blessed with many more!)

T.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I have been musing this morning about how our perspective of heat and cold change with the seasons. This morning the low was 60F, with an easterly breze. It felt right down cool. In the winter it would be a warm morning. I was setting at the dining room table, working on a jigsaw puzzle, and the breeze coming in the open door was chilly, even though the sun was shining on me. Believe me, I was not complainig! I love it. I could be very happy if it stayed that way all summer.

LOL, Marie. That is a nice bathroom ornament...:-)

Eden, I hope all that you have on 'your plate' will not be too much for you. We miss you, but understand.

Babs, I'm glad you are recovering from your fall. I hope the sciatica pain will be short-lived. Im glad you see the wisdom of riding your bikes on a bike trail. It makes me nervious when I encounter bikers on the 2 lane highway to town. One day I met a family on ATV's. Even the TINY boy was on a kid-sized ATV...yargh!

V, congrats on the language accomplishment...but funny about the "Si". Your visit to Quebec City sounds great. I hope your vehicle has been repaired, and back home.

Cindy, it doesn't take me all that long to water my containers. I use a long-handled sprayer on the end of the hose. It was very pleasant doing it this morning...cool and no biting flies.

Deanne that pic of the pink lilies and roses is gorgeous!
    Happy Birthday to Doug.

Lunch time ! TTYAL

Marian