Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

More Rain at the Farm

gardenbug
14 years ago

I tried to take some foliage photos today and couldn't seem to quit...so here's a separate thread with some flowers added too.

Amsonia blooms:

{{gwi:151169}}

Anthriscus "Ravenswing"" (spreads everywhere)

{{gwi:164423}}

Aquilegia Canadensis

{{gwi:164424}}

Aquilegia near hosta

{{gwi:147248}}

Berberis with Lamb's ears

{{gwi:164425}}

Water collects nicely on Lupine foliage.

{{gwi:164426}}

Bluebells

{{gwi:164428}}

Clematis Omoshiro opening in the rain

{{gwi:164430}}

Candelabra Primulas near the creek.

{{gwi:164431}}

Chives in bloom.

{{gwi:164432}}

Corydalis lutea is almost a weed, but I like it. ;)

{{gwi:164433}}

Double wood poppies also spread about.

{{gwi:164434}}

New this year, a variegated Eryngium.

{{gwi:164435}}

I've forgotten the name but David B and I bought these at the same time a few years ago. We liked the ferny foliage.

{{gwi:164436}}

This is white dictamnus. I lost the original large plant and these little guys are the replacements. Gillenia (to the right) has wonderful red stems and ferny foliage.

{{gwi:164437}}

I think Eden has this one too. Heuchera Mardi Gras.

{{gwi:164438}}

Lots of Hostas...

{{gwi:164439}}

{{gwi:164440}}

{{gwi:164441}}

{{gwi:164443}}

Whirlwind

{{gwi:164444}}

A blue hosta.

{{gwi:164445}}

Hankonechloa Grass likes the wet shade.

{{gwi:164447}}

Lady's Mantle

{{gwi:164448}}

Gray leafed Lysimachia Beaujolais

{{gwi:164449}}

'Overdam' with Heuchera Rachel

{{gwi:164450}}

For Saucy, some large rhubarb leaves!

{{gwi:164451}}

Woody and I both love Rodgersia.

{{gwi:164452}}

New purchase- Sedum Autumn Delight

{{gwi:164453}}

Sweet Cicely has black seeds after the flowers are finished. They spread far and wide unless you remove them.

{{gwi:164454}}

I love the pleated foliage of Veratrum Nigrum! Too young to bloom so far.

{{gwi:164456}}

Comments (15)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow 'bug, I'm swooning here ! Autumn Delight Sedum, need one, H. 'Mardis Gras, need one, and the variegated Erignyum ? I'm certain Miss Wilmott is turning in her grave.Must have. And the Hostas ? I can't speak.

Every pic is fabu !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I'll be thinking of these shots as I languish at the awfice. ;)

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Marie, so many pretties! I've scrolled through them a few times :) You have such a wonderful plant collection! Yes, I think that is the same heuchera as mine, and I happened to run across that eryngium this spring and had to have one, Jade Frost I believe it is. Rodgersia's one of my favorites too. I finally found a good spot in my garden for them by the fountain and put in one I love called "chocolate wing" last year that's doing well. That large stand of rhubarb makes me want to bake a rhubarb custard pie but I'll have to purchase some at the Farmer's Market this weekend. It would be nice to be able to go out back and cut my own. I'll be on the lookout for that sedum for sure. It's very cool! I'm really enjoying all of the photos of your gardens that you're sharing this spring!

Eden

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Stunning, stunning as always... I want every single plant.... (and a photographer to go with them...)

-cindy

• jak1
    14 years ago

What beautiful things you have Marie! Of course your garden is blooming ahead of mine - up here in the frozen north. Funny, I just bought a Sedum Autumn Delight last week! I also bought a dark red cut leaf perennial geranium...maybe I'll get some photos today - I haven't been out for a week - cold and rainy here AGAIN!

Julie

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Which geranium Julie? Victor Reiter or Midnight Reiter? If it isn't the rain it's the bugs here! 17C at noon today though, which is pleasant.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

I thought I posted yesterday, but I must have gotten sidetracked looking up gillenia. Which I see is at the Millennium Park garden in Chicago. It's a native here.

I am in complete awe of all your photos...I actually felt palpitations! LOL. I'm putting several on my list to get, esp. the gillenia and the A.D. sedum. Is that a variegated solomon's seal with the hosta? I don't have any v. ones, so that goes on my list,too. I swear, your photos are better than the nurseries at getting me to lust after certain plants. Thanks for sharing.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There are several kinds of Gillenia, Anita, so look for the fancy ferny leaves if you can find that. It isn't very showy, but it is lovable, especially as it emerges in early spring.

Here is another leaf form of it taken by our barn on June 15th last year:
    {{gwi:164457}}

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

You have such a wonderful collection of beauties. So many are ones I am not familiar with. I would espacially like to have Corydalis and those Primulas. I had the single Wood Poppies but they died out in just 2-3 years.I like the unknown ferny leafed plant with the yellow blooms. Our soil is too acid for Lupines to grow here. It makes me sad, since they are a favorite. I seem to remember getting a Dictamnus plant, but if I did, it did not survive. I love that Sedum Autumn Delight, and the Rodgersia....

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

I particularly like the primroses because I can picture in my mindseye the area they are in - all that lovely color really made a lasting impression when we saw them in person!

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I just love poking around the farm....wish I was doing it in person!

I love it all!

Saucy

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous Bug! I especially love that 'Whirlwind' hosta. I can't believe you feel the Corydalis is weedlike, I can't keep it alive. I absolutely love that 'Autumn Delight' Sedum, another plant on my must have list that I have no place to plant. LOL

Deanne

• jak1
    14 years ago

Gee Bug, my tag is neither "Victor" nor "Midnight". Is is labelled "Dark Reiter. Comon name name is listed as "Meadow Cranesbill". Interesting. I had never seen it before. Could be a slightly hardier variety sold in this zone. You know Canada" two seasons. Winter and July. This is only June....*sigh*

Julie

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Julie, Google tells me this:

This hardy geranium is a clone from Midnight Reiter, but it is a very compact plant with deeply divided dark reddish plum leaves with lilac-blue flowers that bloom all summer on stems that are also reddish-plum in color.

Also check below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark Reiter

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Marie, I wonder if you realize how lucky you are to have not only such a gorgeous property, but a gorgeous garden to go with it. You choose great plants and they all look very healthy and well cared for. I hope you are getting a lot of pleasure from the garden this year. Thanks for sharing your photos with us, I get pleasure from looking at them.