Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll# 383.. A Fragrant Idyll

dodgerdudette
15 years ago

Fragrance is so subjective, I thought it would be interesting to see what aromas are the favorites with the Idyll-folk.

Mine: Citrus blossoms, Roses (no surprise there, lol !)Basil , Sweetpea, Honeysuckle---those would be my top 5. How about you ?

Kathy in Napa

Comments (100)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kathy, the male box turtle has a red throat. We saw one along the road recently.

Pm2, yes, there is lots of water nearby. We have a farm pond back of DH's shop building. And there is a 'pour-off' down in our 'hollow'. It has a permenant pond there, and is spring fed.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Well, Saucy learned her lesson tonight....I got 3 bee stings.

I guess from now on I will try the equipment (as she types with ice on her wounds...)...I did get a little cocky and tried to "steal" the base out from underneath my hive so that I could paint it...

Hives have been painted Bahia Grass Green....a turtle may make it on top, Cynthia!

Denise (wonderful mentor) and I will be "righting" the hive situation tomorrow. I have my tripod set up for pictures...

Marian, I love the box turtle!

We have turtles here, too, PM...I'm on the wetlands and they all nest in my yard.

I like cats like Chelone likes dogs.....

Saucy

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

GOod morning

Belated birthday wishes to Cindy and Sue. Cards to follow.

The weekend was a hot and humid blur of activity. David was well enough for his recital and played beautifully. I had the usual pre-company cleaning frenzy, much needed as any free time had been spent in the garden. Sunday were able to enjoy a clean house, plenty of left-overs, and lots of swimming as the temps hit the 90's.

This week could be hectic with the beginning of my end of year wrap-up at work, helping Annie review for finals (physics has been very tough for her) and David testing for a brown belt in Karate.

I hope to peek in when I can.

Fiddler on the Roof is one of our all time favorite musicals - Annie and David know most of the songs by heart and sing them frequently. I'd love to see it on stage. DH's grandparents fled a small town in Russia under similar circumstances so it has always had a special meaning for us.

Love all the turtles !! Saucy - you're making me want to Tufa again (is that a verb?)!

Cynthia - love the pups new scarves and birthday wishes to Monty.

The flower photos are all gorgeous!! My baptisia australis is huge and fabulous right now and I went out in the dusk last night to stake it. Roses are starting to open and I'm hoping the temps will drop soon to prolong the
    beauty.

Mary

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Morning all,

Im melllllltingggggggg.. Good grief, these temps and humidity are going to kill me not to mention frying the flowers. The roses were gorgeous for about one and a half hours then the 98 degree day hit and it was all over with. All the flowers popped open and they all have crisped edges and by today theyll start to drop petals. Oh well, I probably should become a weather person because I can predict reliably the first heat wave of ever summer as it comes the week my first June roses open. LOL ~~ Something ate three of my best fish, Bummer. Actually Im pretty heartbroken as Blue Man and Leopard were both ten years old. Pouff gone. I think it was the raccoon, or, the heron. I know they have to eat too but why oh why do they need to dine on my pet fish. Le Sigh as Da used to say. But, now for the good news, the Climbing Hydrangea is over the top fantastic this year. It has more blooms on it than ever and its gorgeous at the moment as are the Allium Globemaster. The containers are all filling in beautifully and the tropicals are basking in the heat so Im expecting the brugs and banana to put on some serious growth with these temps plus humidity.

Doug and I bought a fountain for the circular area in the container garden area. I was so pleased as I found this at a nursery in Hudson and it was missing the statue finial on it. I didnt want the statue but will find a round or pineapple bubbler of some sort. Anyway because of the missing part that I didnt want they sold it to me for half price. Woohoo!!!! We are picking it up next week. Now for the difficult site prep work. We want to lay in a circular bed of pavers for under the fountain. Doug also is going to dig in a conduit for power to the location. I cant wait until its all installed as I know its going to be perfect there.

OK here are some pics from this humid morning.

The shade garden. Im going to fill in those two spaces with other Hosta when I find something that speaks to me. Im thinking Ill probably put in another Striptease in the left space.
    {{gwi:164591}}

I absolutely love this vignette this time of the year. That Salvia May Night with the Allium is so cool.
    {{gwi:164592}}

A longer view of the sundial garden showing the Hydrangea petiolaris on the oak tree.
    {{gwi:164593}}

I couldnt decide which hydrangea pic I liked best so Im posting several.
    {{gwi:164594}}

{{gwi:164595}}

You can see the humidity in the air in this shot toward the east.
    {{gwi:164596}}

Must get to the gym then Ive got a full day in my office downstairs so Ill have to run for now. Im hoping to find time to comment tonight. Have a great day everyone!
    Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Gee, I was just reading about the flooding and tornados in the Midwest. Isn't Eden, Ei, V. and Honey all in Michigan, Minnesota? Sounds like that area is having an awful time of it. Would love to hear if things are fine with all of you.

Haven't heard from Drema in awhile, wondering how her brother is doing. Babsclare is another we haven't heard from in awhile.

Mary...so glad everything worked out so well for David and it sounds like you had a chance to 'destress' on Sunday too.

Kathy....why are you wishing for concrete around 'Argentine Skies', is it a spreader? I would love to grow that plant just for the name...lol. I am looking forward to your Dahlia photos. I loved those you had last year...do you buy new every year, or have the same? I didn't do any Dahlias this year, so I will enjoy yours vicariously. :-) Also haven't seen your Begonia collection yet.

Marian....how are you doing in this heat? I hope you have air conditioning.

Saucy...first bee stings? Well, it was bound to happen. You'll get the hang of it. Ice was a good idea.

Deanne....Your hydrangea is spectacular! I just love seeing one of those climbing an oak tree. How long did it take to grow that high and bloom that much? Did you have to do something special to train it to the tree?

Staying out of the heat today. Watered the front last night and the back this morning. Ready for another hot day.

Enjoying everyone's photos!

pm2

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Its a lovely fresh morning with no rain in site for the day. Iowa is really getting hit with rain and flooding. Its not bad here, but I feel for those who are dealing with it.

The only turtles I have seen on our property are large snappers, somehow they just arent all that cute. I have a lot of toads in the garden with all the rain we have had. I even found a tiny one in one of my winter-sown containers.

Interesting, but baptisias are hard to find around here. They are so easy to grow and extremely hardy. I have 2 baptisia australis and people notice them and comment on them in bloom and when they have set seed. I must look for some of the other varieties. Last year was the first year that I left the seed pods on and I see I have quite a few seedlings. I am also finding quite a few seedlings from clematis Nelly Moser I potted a few up for my mom. Persicaria polymorpha and helianthus Lemon Queen" are a couple of other plants that I cant find locally and have never gotten around to ordering. It seems like large perennials maybe arent big sellers to the average homeowner. Dictamnus is another plant that I had to search high and low to find. I eventually ended up with 3 of the pink although one was labeled as white and I was quite annoyed to find out when it bloomed that it wasnt. In town there is a house that has an amazing stand of the pink. There must be 3 plants that are each around 4 diameter.

Deanne, your climbing hydrangea is quite stunning, that is a perfect tree for it. How old is it? It is such a treat to open the Idyll on a Monday morning and see all the loveliness of your garden. Great buy on the fountain. I need a deal like that, Id like to add one near the front door area that we are revamping, but the ones I like are so expensive. How awful about your

Mary, Im pleased to hear that David was feeling well enough for his recital. I cant believe how hot it is out there already.

Kathy, pschyo or not, I think shes pretty. No painting this weekend as the can says it needs to be dry for 24 hours afterward and with rain predicted on Sunday I didnt want to chance it.

PM2, Im enjoying the pictures from your garden, Id like to see a few long shots. I love those.

bug, neat that your DGS picks a visit to you over a scooter.

Heres hoping that you all get a chance to enjoy your garden today!

Michelle

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

V and I seem to be having similar clouds over our heads lately sorry for your car accident, V glad no one was hurt and its the "annoyance" factors that are so aggravating. I did have my car freed Friday, only to get home and then have the power go out on Saturday (98 degrees) it returned by 10 pm that nite when it was about 95 degrees in my bedroom. . . . luckily we had a nice chilly basement where Chloe & Mom spent their nite. . . . it sure took the wind out of any sails I had re energy though...I made the mistake of potting some things up and felt like Id been in a sauna and that was it for me for energy.

Eeeks, Cynthia hope no terrible damahge to your wonderful house I will hope its only some slates gone. That is truly amazing about the sibling greys being re-connected locally and such a lovely birthday affair to be sure.

PM your baptisia is gorgeous ! and I also would love to see your Rose Rhapsody in Blue Im pretty sure thats the one that Helen Dillon mentioned in her last book as the only rose she is still enamored of and how wonderful it did in her gardens I believe she tossed almost all her old ones except for 1 or 2... I seem to recall she mentioned the RinB was "low maintenance" so it will be interesting to see and hear of your experience. [oo, I see You have posted it gorgeous and is definitely hinting of blue...]

Sadly, bug, I do not think either of my gas plants survived... bummer and I have not seen my Baptisia Twilight Prairie Blues either this year it would have been 2nd year for all of them... something tells me they went the way of the Casablancas last year the drought [and critters[ conquered a lot of things and may do so again this year with these terrible temps I expect a lot of my clematis are likely to keel over too I hope to hose them down tonite but things keep getting in the way. This morning before work, I lugged the hose around (in my work clothes) to hit a few things but was continually dancing away from the leaky sprayer head it suitably cooled me down for my expected hot, hard, trek on the metro, but I was glad Id worn darkish clothes, so the water spots didnt show, LOL...

I hope Rex is going better w/ his enforced repose. . . . like most of us, perhaps he just had a wee bit too much surgery back to back so to speak I will continue to hope its just taking a bit longer in the recovery dept for him.

O, Deanne Im so sorry about your pet fish Mother Nature always has surprises in store for us doesnt she? Re hostas Im not a fan, but bought my first few this past year Im liking the Touch of Class I got a lot (it could be the plant slut in me though...) it is similar to the Striptease I think, Deanne, but stripe down the middle as well. Wow o wow no one would ever think your plants are frying, Deanne! That hydrangea has really done you proud this year, hasnt she? [Sales Alert] -- And I thought of you when I breezed into Tuesday Morning store on Sat they had pots 25% off and there were several that youve got showcased luckily I do not need big ones like some of your urns I was mostly looking for some small mono-type pots.

Kathy do you dig your Dahlias out every year? Ive got several that have overwintered (I was too lazy to dig) and theyre getting ready to bloom already I think for a couple its going to be the 3rd year for them but I have no idea what I should have been doing for care and fertizling... I know a couple are the common Thos. Edison but hey, I am not gonna be choosey if they want to become perennial for me! Got any hints for overwintering them without removal from the ground?

That kitty is definitely psycho and rude too after you having such a wonderful "spa" retreat for her to use daily, she disabuses your hospitality she needs some manners, LOL! You should talk to Doobie about that.

Well, as usual, overwhelmed at the awfice and so I best get back to it. . . . my voice mail box was completely full when I arrived this a.m. w/ things to do and type up. . . . all from 1 person. . . . I think he thinks its funny well, Ive left the msgs there so I dont think hell be leaving any more until I empty them all out! Not a great way to start Monday though it required a couple extra cups of java.

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I've been waiting for this tree peony for two years now. It was advertised as rusty orange...a colour I am growing fond of. Well, the colour isn't what I asked for, but I like it anyway.

{{gwi:164597}}

And for PM2, the persicaria as it looks today.
    {{gwi:164598}}

And for everyone...the sky...
    {{gwi:164599}}

It's a scorcher here!
    'bug

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Oh, boy! A turtle parade! If only I had known-we had a turtle come walking up the driveway a couple of days ago. Pretty odd, there's no water to speak of close to the house. He was on a long trip, where ever he came from/was going. The dogs were very interested, of course, but we made them come back on the porch and let the poor guy get on with his journey.
    Sounds like I'm in good company...everyone seems to be H&H! Popped in to see if there was any news of our Michigan and Illinois folk. I've seen some pretty nasty blurbs on the radar lately, and am hoping no one has storm damage.
    I'm working on getting my Bluestone order in the ground. I'm so good at point and click shopping, I just wish someone would invent point and click planting...better yet, WEEDING! This is my first real day to work outside, and there is so much to catch up on. The recent back pain is a fresh reminder to take it easy, though.
    I've enjoyed the pictures and a light skim, now it's time to get back to work.
    Hello to one and all, have a great afternoon, see ya later!
    Brenda

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

'bug, is your tree peony 'Kinkaku'? That's what mine is supposed to be and its not remotely close. The nursery where I bought is now defunct.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Kinkaku'

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear of all the H&H. The hottest it has been at our house is 82F. It was hotter in surrounding areas, but we are in a 'favored' spot. :-)
    pm2, we do not have AC, but have been using our ceiling fan and a space fan. Will use window fans when it gets hotter.

Marie, that tree peony is gorgeous ! I like the sky pic too. How tall does the Persicaria get ? I think it is what a friend had in Idaho, and it was huge !

Today is very rainy, and the roads are washing...AGAIN ! It is only in the mid 60s. I have shut up the house, and put on warmer clothes. :-(
    At least I do not need to water all my outside containers.:-)
    They are getting prettier every day. I keep tucking more stuff into empty spaces....mostly rotted cuttings.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I'm pooped! It's been warm here (mid-80s) and a bit on the humid side, but nothing too terribly oppressive. I kicked in the afterburners this afternoon and mowed the lawn, accomplishing the entire thing in about one hour. I was pretty hot and very sweaty when I shut the mower off.

I finished the second coat of the sealing shellac on the windowbox pieces, too. My next move is to assemble them and then give them the finish coat of paint. And I'm really liking the work environment in the Salon!

I'm discouraged about the yard and the gardens this year. Everything I really wanted to do has gone on hold while we get the house stained and the trim painted. I wanted to rearrange a number of things that have been languishing in less than favorable locations since the bahn construction. But there isn't much point in that until the painters go away and I can readily assess the chaos they'll leave me. Baptisia is one of the things I really wanted to move, along with the remaining tree peony and a few other assorted "thises and thats". I was pleased to note that the bracts on the Kousa we planted last fall are opening up. Helpmeet is unimpressed, but I'm pretty pleased. The rest of the area looks like hell, though. :( My "best" clematis is blooming its head off, but the trellis is tilted away from the side of the house and all the flowers are facing the wrong way... . It just seems as though everything looks as torn up and out of control as it did last year.

'bug, I had forgotten entirely about GS's heart issue! I was thinking the surgery probably had something to do with his hearing. Certainly is a weighty issue for family to consider. Your gardens look lovely. I had a tree peony that looked something like the one you showed us, though not quite as vibrant. I never really cared for it and when it began sprouting from the herbaceous roots I allowed a shoot to flower... revealing a handsome bright pink single. I have it to a friend who saw it and was enchanted by it. My remaining tree peony has no buds this year, but is a very deep, vibrant magenta... I'm not nuts about it, either!

Rex seems to be better after a few days of aspirin and the crackdown on activity. I'll call the vet. and see what she says. He's due for his post-op. X rays on the 16th.. She did not seem particularly alarmed by his "gimpiness". So we'll continue restricting his movement and flexing the leg. The surgeon did say that this tear was worse than the first one. I hate dogs.

I have watched with horrified fascination the devastation in Wisconsin and Indiana... the footage of someone's home carried way by flood waters with everything they've worked so hard for inside was heartbreaking. About the worst I've seen in my little corner of the country was the ice storm in 1998.

I loved the picture of your turtle, Marian. The helpmeet commented that there was turtle attempting to cross the road when he returned from the grocery store this afternoon. This is the time of year we see the big snappers, too. Tufa, cement, or real, I think they're fascinating creatures... like lookin' at dinosaurs.

Good thoughts to Sue on the that nasty stess fracture... what a drag! maybe you could get one of the scooters or those electric chairs to keep you suitably mobile? I've been wondering about Eden, too (as well as the usual cast of characters).

Well, I'm thinking about dental floss, brushing my teeth, rounding up the pride, and retiring to bed to read for a bit; tomorrow is going to be busy, hot, and I'm still sleep deprived from the Celtics and the play. 4:30 comes early and there is a lot of noise on the compound on these warm nights, as the link attests!

Here is a link that might be useful: Turn on your speakers

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Chelone, I turned on my speakers but there was this weird stereo effect with the real frogs outside. It's been quite noisy here as well. Out here, gray tree frogs have been known to hang out on the Weber grill.

Well, in a word the weather here sucks, but it has limited itself to being an annoyance and not a disaster. Once again, I have aquatic life in my driveway (how many of you have to worry about driving over a tadpole???) as the wetlands are overrunning the drive. We have had 3.3" of rain since 11:00 pm Saturday night. I don't have to water containers, I have to de-water them! I can't believe that Lake Delton in Wisconsin has disappeared - drained away into the river when the dam breached.

'bug, what color is your Twilight Prairieblues blooming this year? There has been some color-shifting because of differences in spring temperatures. Off the top of my (tired) head, I don't recall the specific effect. Mine is a little lighter in color this year. Hopefully I can get a photo of it tomorrow - with an overcast sky, there's not enough light left tonight for a photo. Mine is placed between a late-blooming lilac and a purple cotinus, and it looks quite lovely there.

Saturday I helped plant a community garden at our church. I kept waiting for the big strong men to show up, but since they never did, DD and I had to build the chicken wire fence ourselves. I can now add fence building to my resume of skills.

Sunday, DD and I rode the train to Chicago and went to the Printers Row book fair. Lots of fun! Stalls and stalls of books to rummage through, a stray author or two, and then a wicked thunderstorm that brought a quick end to our fun. But I already had more than enough to carry. At one booth where all the books were 3 for $10, I found a 1969 book on gardening with native plants! The only disappointment was that Scott Simon was supposed to speak at 1:00, but that was at the peak of the deluge and I wasn't brave enough to leave the shelter of a building.

Toss in some planting in my own yard, teaching a seminar, attending a benefit and a graduation party, and I just don't understand why I'm tired tonight. (Actually, I think my weekend could be boiled down to: shower, change clothes, repeat.)

Sue, I missed where your stress fracture was at. Bummer about that, though.

Saucy, I meant to tell you last week that right about the time you were posting the photo of your red zebra banana, I was out buying one! I had to relocate it on the deck to give it more shelter from the winds we have had, but it's doing great.

I'm about ready to call it a night. If I don't post this soon, I'll do something dumb and lose it all!

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

No stress fracture or that's what I've been told by the people who interpreted the xray. My physical therapist still thinks there may be one-claims they aren't always evident on xrays. I see an orthopedic specialist on Friday-highly touted sports med guy. Hopefully he'll have the answer because I'm tired of limping and would like to get back to my walks.

Day three of nasty hot and humid here again today. I think it got up to 96 or 97 F. Supposedly one more day then upper 80s but drier. I broke down yesterday and put a window AC unit in the livingroom. I'm not a big fan of air conditioners but the dogs are home all day and I can't leave windows open on the first floor. By using shades, a ceiling fan and strategic opening and closing of windows, I've been able to sleep comfortably in my second floor bedroom. I've toyed with the idea of installing central air in this house but can't justify the $8-10K expense for the handful of days we have here where you actually need it. Plus I'm a fresh air fan and most of the people I know with central air tend to become so reliant on it that they close up their houses all summer, live in a climate controlled environment and have no tolerance for heat at all.

Chelone, funny you say you had a tree peony that reverted to a single herbaceous pink. In one of the gardens I visited on Saturday there was the most gorgeous single pink peony I have ever seen. When we asked the gardener what variety it was she said it had been a tree peony that died back and reverted to it's herbaceous roots. It was stunning and coming from me that says alot because I'm not a huge peony fan.

Persicaria polymorpha...it's a monster in my garden right now. As usual I didn't support it so it should be collapsing soon. Has anyone ever tried to move one?

OK, time to do "last outs" with the mutts then head up to bed. Tomorrow night they get groomed-canine spa night-and I can't wait. It's been almost seven weeks and they both look like bags of rats...lol.

Sleep tight everyone.

Sue

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I am hopelessly behind. I was off work last week with a purely evil and nasty cold. Feeling much better now although I get tired too quickly. Dh just asked me where the Nyquil is. :(

I thought this was very pretty. Made entirely of sand, it took over 40 hours to create. The picture doesn't do it justice.

{{gwi:164601}}

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

V, my Prairieblues seemed truly purple yesterday. In the photo, a bit "browner", but not like on Google.
    {{gwi:164603}}
    I'm wondering if it will change next year?

For Chelone, this is the flowering European Cranberry (Viburnum) I told you I liked for hiding the road from view. It will get red berries later on.
    {{gwi:164605}}

'bug

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For once I am able to be in a united front with my east coast Idyll pals weather-wise. Though the extra bonus of humidity is not in the picture, it was mid to high 90s today and AC is on. Newly installed bedding plants look mighty unhealthy. Thank goodness my roses are in between cycles and the daylilies seem to shrug off the heat. I had to laugh at the vision of Cindy out in her business garb trying to water before heading off to jobville.
    Cindy, I dont dig up my Dahlias, and have only lost them if standing water becomes an issue. Our ground does not freeze here. Im told when I move to Oregon that I will have to dig them up because the soil gets too cold and also wet. But you are in zone 6 and had yours survive the winter ? This leads me to believe that it I have a spot that drains well I may escape the dig-up gig? How strange that though we are three zones apart our Ds are starting to bloom at somewhat the same time. Go figure.

Deanne, that petiolaris is spectacular, and the Hostas are to die for.I mustnt swoon as there is no one home right now to provide the smelling salts.You armillary is fabu-fabu. I just cant seem to find one that I like. I do have one but want another . I keep searching.

Yes PM, Argentinian Skies is a thug. I will get you a pic in a couple of days. I really should dig it out. My begonias dont look like much yet, mainly because I left them out all winter so the dieback was pretty severe. I usually move them into the house, and I only did that with one. The rest were stashed under bushes on west and south facing walls. I only lost one . Im pretty happy with that considering what a cold winter we had this year. Fear not, a pic will come in due time !

bug that Peony reminds me of a tuberous begonia..its very pretty !

Denise are you burning up too down there ?

Glad to hear that Rex is considered still on the mend by the DVM authorities. Construction and painting chaos is indeed a trial. I feel fortunate to have gotten most of my most disruptive home improvement projects done before spring arrived. You house and the Salon will look so great that you will be able to bask in their glory while proceeding with plant moves at a leisurely pace.

Michelle, I will await the paint job with anticipation !

Brenda , I wonder if walking is the correct terminology for turtle movement ? It made me giggle a bit !

Ok thats all I have for tonight.

Stay cool Idylls !

Kathy in Napa.

• denisez10
    15 years ago

I semi-snuck off to a nursery after work today (and bagged an Abutilon 'Paisley'), took all of 45 min, and when I returned was met by Marty, very grave expression, saying we had an "incident" while I was AWOL. I put down the plants, shift my feet for balance and tell him to proceed, expecting tales of bodily injury. He and Dune had to run an errand, I had disappeared, so they left Ein in the house with the driveway gate left open anticipating my return. When they got home, Ein is sitting at the edge of the driveway, gate still flung wide (we have a VERY busy street) and further investigation reveals a UPS package at the OPEN back door, just inside the house. Someone obviously didn't lock the back door, and the UPS guy took advantage, opened the unlocked door, deposited the package inside and left the door open. Diligent he was, thank you UPS guy, but careless with Ein, who was told again and again what a GOOD dog he is for respecting the invisible boundary at the driveway edge. I have to sneak away after an early workday because, unlike V, I have no life on weekends, just churning out transcripts. Maybe a little bit cranky, but potting up the abutilon worked miracles -- what a cheerful plant!

Quick sympathy to Deanne on the loss of your pet fish...so sorry! And another sympathetic nod to Mary, because I truly understand that end of school year madness (and am so glad to be out of it!)

Along with mislabeled tree peonies, my Rooguchi clematis turns out to be durandii, which is fine, just surprising. Not too hot here, low 80s. Mitch just back tonight from Olympia, Wash., where the sixties seem to be alive and flourishing, brought back scads of film to develop for an upcoming show and organic coffee beans from Batdorf and Bronson where his buddy is head roaster. Tucking in early tonight, g'night.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hot damn, I am consumed by longing for Abutilon 'Paisley" after innocently Gooleing. I swear I can't buy any more plants.

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    15 years ago

{{gwi:164606}}

• chelone
    15 years ago

Yup, Happiest of birthdays to Martie!

I have to finish my breakfast and think about spinning off to work.

Bummer about your fish, Deanne. Did you lose that great big black job I admired at the TYNAW pahty?

Later!

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

{{gwi:164609}}

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I bet you'll all want to take a look-see here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Abutilons

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning :-)

Michelle...so glad you are not dealing with flooding. Another pond person with turtles and toads too. I used to see a toad once in awhile but none for a long time. There is no water nearby to speak of. What a surprise that 'Nelly Moser' reseeds...especially there in zone 4.

Thanks, I'm so glad you are enjoying my plants. :-) I wish I could share more long views of my garden, but between the unsightly neighbor views and the various 'under construction' areas, it will be some time before I will be able to. We keep chipping away at our list of projects and now have three small areas that are finished for the time being but many more to go.

Kathy....every time I scroll down through the thread, I continue to get a chuckle from your Psycho Kitty. I wish you had a video of her climbing into that pot. So funny how she managed to get under the string without disturbing anything. I find myself wondering why she likes that particular spot. [g]

Since I am so new to roses...I am confused. I thought they liked hot weather? So why are some of my blossoms browning on the edges with this heat? Also, what do you mean by your 'roses are in between cycles'? Some of them rebloom? Do you feed them during the growing season? I was also noticing what was tolerating the heat well yesterday and the Dianthus edging my bed seemed quite happy while even some sedums were wilting, which surprises me.

I also got a chuckle over Cindy in her work clothes watering. That's commitment, Cindy! :-)

Cindy....thanks for that info on the Rose RIBlue. It was an impulse buy, when the local nursery didn't have whatever was on my list at the time. It had clean foliage and a pretty open rose and they described it as very disease resistant so it came home with me.

I should have mentioned that our Baptisia is in shade until 11am, so I am happy that we get bloom at all. I have seen them grown in full sun and they are much more upright than mine. I used a hoop around the base to keep it better contained, which works perfectly. I am pretty sure they can be winter sown and when I collect seed I would be happy to send seed to anyone wanting to try it. It is just plain old Baptisia australis. Long wait I would imagine from seed to bloom though.

Deanne...I meant to tell you I am sorry about your fish. You kept them a long time. Unfortunately, most of the time I hear of people with fish in ponds, inevitably stories of missing fish, follow. So far, I haven't heard of a remedy. I like your sundial! It is very pretty. What kind of metal is it..and does it withstand the elements?

Gardenbug...that Persicaria is such a pretty plant. I really enjoy that kind of airy almost grassy look of the blooms. I know it is too large a plant for my garden, but just wondering how long your bloom lasts? The tree peony is very pretty too. Reminds me of a carnation...or a begonia, as Kathy mentioned. I am a sucker for picotee anyway, but the colors are really nice...remind me of sherbet. [g]

That photo of PBlues Baptisia, is starting to look like the color I thought it would be. Maybe they enhanced the photo in the catalog, just a bit? Is that expected to get as large as the Baptisia australis? Your Viburnum is wonderful! I love it! Makes quite a large screen and is such a pretty shape with all that bloom on it! Have you pruned it or is that it's natural shape?

Hello Brenda...glad your back is feeling better!

Marian....you are so lucky to be in a 'favored' spot. I don't enjoy A/C but our summers continue to get hotter, earlier and longer and I completely wilt in the heat. My DH has always begun to tease me that my comfort range is between 65-70. Funny, when I was younger, I always thought of myself as fairly rugged, enjoying being out in all kinds of weather. I much prefer days when I can turn the A/C off and open the windows. I also love fresh air, like Sue.

Chelone....I thought you had decided to use your old windowboxes awhile longer? Your garden will still be there in the fall, when you may have a lot of your 'indoor' work completed and can start making plans and moving plants and getting ready for a great spring/summer garden next year!

V...nice to see you! So glad you are not floating away. :-) Sounds like you had a very nice weekend, despite all the wardrobe changes.

Sue...glad you have an appt with a sports med doc. Hope they can get to the bottom of it. Has to be some problem there or you wouldn't be limping. It's nice to have an A/C for when you really need it. I have seen some new room a/c units on wheels, that you don't have to place in a window. I am planning on looking into those. There is also a new kind of whole house A/C that doesn't require all the duct work, that I saw reviewed on This Old House. Maybe you can find the episode on it, on their website.

Happy Birthday Martie! Are you going out for your BD?

{{gwi:164610}}

Busy morning here so heading out to get some watering done. Hope everyone stays cool today.

:-)
    pm2

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Sarah helped me with Martie's Birthday Wishes:

Happy Birthday Martie!

{{gwi:164611}}

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Another scorcher on tap here and I believe today is supposed to be hotter than yesterday. The poor fuchsias and impatiens are looking bedraggled. Id put some of those sun tolerant New Guinea Impatiens in the dahlia garden and I think they might have bought it yesterday. Just too hot too soon after planting. Oh well, only time will tell.

Thanks everyone for your sympathy over my missing fish. I dread checking the pond ever morning lately to see if Im missing anyone else.

PM go happy you like the sundial. Its cast bronze and has been there since the mid-90s. It used to be shiny but I like the aged patina its gotten over time. The Hydrangea attaches itself to the tree with aerial rootlets or holdfasts. Its been there for thirteen years or so but has only really bloomed well the last five.

Chelone, fortunately we still have Uncle Fester. Hes getting on in years and I dont know how much longer hell be around but hes still doing OK. I think hes well camouflaged so Im hoping he survives the depredations of whatever is whittling down my fish numbers. ~~ Glad to hear that Rex is doing OK. I hope hes back to 100% soon.

Kathy, Im with you about that Abutilon Paisley. Ive got one quite like it but it doesnt have the variegation in the leaves. I can see a mailorder happening soon. ~~ RE the heat thing, you are lucky you dont have this beastly humidity to go along with these high 90s temps. I went out to do a bit of watering mid afternoon yesterday and just standing there with a hose left me dripping (literally) in sweat. I had to take another shower just from being outside. I shudder to think what those crazies I saw running are doing to themselves. ~~ So happy you like the petiolaris and the hostas. You should see Sues. They are twice to three times the size of mine. I get hosta envy every time I see hers.

Denise, jeesh! Thats pretty scary that the UPS man left your package inside your house. I wouldnt be too happy about that and letting Ein out is even worse.

Jerri, so sorry about the cold. What a bummer to get sick in the summer. ~~ Great pic, thanks for sharing that.

Wow V. sounds like youve been beyond busy. Bummer about the weather. I surely wish the rain would even itself out. I could use some more here but so far the predicted thunderstorms havent materialized.

Cindy, I didnt used to like hostas either until I found Sum and Substance and Frances Williams. Then it was Gold Standard, Golden Tiara and so on and so forth. Im going to have to look for Touch of Class.

Michelle, I believe I planted that Hydrangea petiolaris in 1995. It took a long time to get any size to it but it really is a magnificent specimen now. So happy you like the garden pics. ~~ RE the fountain, I couldnt believe it when they actually called me back and offered it 50% off as is. I did a happy dance I can tell you.

Woody, I hear you about approaching heat stroke just from standing around with a hose in hand. Wicked weather. Hope you are staying cool.

Saucy, I had to log in again on Garden Web but wasnt denied access. Thats weird.

Bug, great pics!

OK Ive got to run get some watering done and then get downstairs to work. Have a great day everyone!

Deanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea petiolaris

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday, Martie!

{{gwi:164612}}

Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Ooo, another pretty day here. I try to spend at least ½ hour in the garden each morning, just taking it all in. You just never know what you will see each morning. Right now I am enjoying the first season of bloom of the Dusky Challenger irises that Cindy shared with me they are nearly black and just so cool.

Last night we had an entirely grilled meal and enjoyed a glass of wine on the patio while it cooked.

We have been enjoying sleeping with the windows open, although I do like having central air when the humidity gets high.

Yesterday DH had a visit with a company rep wanting to possibly put a wind turbine or 2 on our land. We have mixed feelings on it. It tells you just how windy it is here on the prairie and my newly planted pots are showing it right now. They do adapt though. I think thats why I enjoy the mornings in the garden when the wind isnt there. According to the map in the link, we live in the only county that is all yellow, which is the windiest area in the state.

Martie, I hope your day is enjoyable and special. Ill be back later with a picture.

Deanne, have you tried any of the miniature hostas? They are wonderful along the edge and so cute. I only have a few but Im thinking of grouping them in a small raised bed that I have. Have you tried some kind of netting over your pond? Would it work to submerge the netting to just under the surface? Maybe if it were dark in color it would be invisible.

Kathy, I didnt realize that ablutions come with that form of flower. I had one that I kept all winter and lost it just before it was time to go outside. I can see why you are tempted though.

Chelone, I can understand your frustration about the garden. I have those same feelings on beautiful days like this when I have to go to work and then the weekend is crappy.

Sue, I hope you find some answers on your ankle/foot. You wouldnt think it would be that hard.

bug, you would never know there was a road over yonder.

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Wind in Iowa

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

{{gwi:164614}}

• chelone
    15 years ago

I love Hosta. I'm not particularly into collecting umpteen million of them, but I am particularly attracted to the jumbo ones. I have Blue Angel, Frances Williams, Krossa Regal, Hosta plantaginea (late, with fragrant white flowers), several varigated types that have lost their tags, and have just ventured into the realm of the minis (precious!). I think they are just the quintessential work horses of the garden. They hide bulb foliage, they battle weeds with ease, they grow in dry places or wet ones, and their handsome leaves provide interesting contrast with neighboring plants. And they're EASY. Need an instant shade garden? mix Hosta, ferns, Asarum, and/or Epimedium.

Once more, we seem to have dodged the worst of the heat. It was sort of sticky today, but mid-80s was about tops, not too bad. The sea turn is about as predictable as the swallows' return to Capistrano. There have been weather alerts for severe thunderstorms an hour/two north of here and there is chance for some here, too. I hope it holds off for us; I want the stain to have more time to "set" and I want the painters to have a nice dry day tomorrow. Sigh.

My Hydrangea anomala petiolaris is just starting to bloom, too. Another sensational plant, well worth the wait.

Time to check out some links and enjoy some pictures! Where's the birthday girl? Yoohoo... Maaarrtiee.

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Just a quick Hi (or 'high' as in freaking temps) and a very happy birthday to Martie of the Park.

I had to run off to Walmart during working hours today to get Dannie a larger pool. Morning walks are short in this awful weather and evening walks are very late and equally short. The only entertainment outdoors is splashing in the water since I keep her in the upper fenced area so she won't run and die of heatstroke. I wanted to find a preformed pond large enough for her, but they were all lumpy bumpy, so went for the next size kiddy pool. She made waves with her paws while laying in it with a big grin on her face and Katie stook there and drank out of it. Monty oblivious as always :)

Glad to see the photo and talk of Prairie blues. I've had my eye on it, but not enthralled enough and needy enough to add it - yet. I'm sun poor. I did get two of the Carolina Moonlight at the River Farm sale this spring. My plain blue baptisia are from seeds I brought from my last house.

And yes! I've moved (or more accurately 'tortured') a Persicaria polymorpha. This is the first year it's looked good since the abuse. Think this is year 3 in the new and improved spot. It was a fall move - and I was probably hurried and left half it's roots in the old spot. My movement techniques always seem to leave roots behind and wonder why Druse doesn't cover this propagation method in 'Making More Plants.'

I'm living on watermelon, cantelope and blueberries. 98F today with humidity thick enough to fill bottles with AND my dehumidifier seems to have had heatstroke.

Jerri, tell us about the sand art. Is it sealed or is sneezing a risk to it?

A pat on the back to me for cleaning out my underwear drawers last night. No idea why I save the stuff that's falling apart for so long. (Not to make headbands with :)

Stay cool! And keep those stunning and fun pictures coming everyone!

Cynthia (with two turtles, or more? They all look alike except for the one with the white back. )

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

More turtle parade...

{{gwi:164616}}

:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Endangered Turtle Makes 657 Day Journey

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Warning, this is a rant alert.. this is one of those times when I wonder why, oh why the he - - I bother to do this gardening thing. Today it hit 100.6 on my thermometer on the north side of the house. The gardens and annuals are looking pretty bedraggled after four days of high 90s (and today of the 100 degrees) This is just not the thing for early June plantings. So far all the iris have blown by, the one peony I have left, most of the first flush of roses are blown, the late rhododendron flowers all fried in the heat, the late lilac had passed in just a few days, Clematis Asao dropped all its petals after the second 97 degree day, the pansies are toast, Ive lost two fuchsias and most of the blossoms are falling off the ones in bloom, the Hydrangea petiolaris is already shedding its flowers, the flowers on Ninebark Diablo only lasted two days, the columbines are likewise done and on and on. None of the early summer stuff has lasted through this heat wave. The only tender stuff that is looking good are the Brugmansia, Banana, Cannas and Colocasias LOL.. Im very happy I have tropicals otherwise Id probably feel like cutting it all down and starting over again next year. Well, I guess that is just a slight exaggeration but what total frustration. End of rant.

Michelle, Ive not tried those truly mini hostas yet. Id like to get Mouse Ears. They are such darlings. I really like the idea of grouping a collection of the minis in a raised bed. One of the gardens we visited last year at IU4 had a lovely collection displayed like that. Ill have to dig up a photo.~~ I dont quite know what to do about the fish as I dont know what critter or bird is preying on them. Could be a Raccoon or a Blue Heron and the deterrents are different for each. Not to mention I just found out there has been a Fisher Cat seen in the neighborhood. Jeesh, youd think this was Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom. ~~ Id be crazed if I lived with as much wind as you do. I detest the wind. Big time. If you get wind turbines on your land do you get electricity from them?

Chelone, you are so lucky youve missed the worst of this heat. Its been beyond miserable.

Cynthia, I cant believe it was hotter here than at your house today. Weird. Love the image of the puppies playing in the wading pool.

OK Ive got to run and think about getting ready for bed. We are supposed to have T storms tonight but so far it doesnt look like it. It is still 90 degrees outside at the moment so if that cold front does come through I cant imagine not getting a storm out of it. Hopefully it will just bring rain.

Nite all
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I'm sure glad the cooler front arrived here! Deanne is right, it was MISERABLE! Couldn't do a thing all week. Man, some poor folks nearby had hail too! Today the rains were on and off all the time. I think we get 2 good days, then more rain...I hope i can get some work done at last. It is discouraging though because I was somewhat ahead of the game back in May...Now I'll never catch up.

Deanne, fishers are really nasty! Keep the cats away!!! If it was a heron, I think you'd have seen it. We have them here. They fish from our pond and under the bridge. The coons do their dastardly deeds at night. I heard the little brats at 4am this morning...and got up then to start my day. Sigh.

I hope Martie is sitting back with a cool drink, enjoying her special day!

I am writing down everything that passes my lips, starting today. Sigh...
    'bug

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Martie...I hope you enjoy this picture of the 2 young bucks that have been bedded down in my old garden spot today. They are developing antlers, and they are just stubs in the velvet so far.

{{gwi:164618}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not quite as hot here today, but wind which is not good in Calif during heat waves-the stuff that our brush fires are made of. I actually went to Jamba Juice and bought smoothie today, as a restorative after spending 65 bucks at the gas station. 4.41 ! Yikes. Sure am glad its only a mile to work ! There was also a bit of a brown out in town today , mid-afternoon, we lost power for a couple of hours, so no computers. I went through all the piles on my desk and sorted, filed etc. Not too bad to be forced into that kind of activity upon occasion.

AC is used rarely here, maybe 5 times a year tops, some years less. Think Ive had it on twice so far this year. I usually reserve it for high 90s and over 100, since it really doesnt work that well, especially upstairs.I never leave it on over night.

PM, I have found with roses that its not so much the heat per se , but an abrupt spike , going from the 70s to the 90s in a day. People who live in places like Palm Springs and Phoenix are very adept at selecting heat tolerant roses , and I think they tend to get more hardened off there. Right now my roses are mostly out of bloom and forming buds for the next flush. I dead head quite heavily after they bloom the first time. Some rebloom faster and more often than others. I feed with Alfalfa meal when they start to leaf our in spring and Dr Earth organic rose food usually in June and once more in early Sept.

Lol Cynthia, I cant believe any plant ever survives my moving techniques which are extremely indelicate to say the least. Division is an acceptable propagation method, intended or not ! What a vision Dannie the bathing beauty swimming in her Wal-Mart kiddie pool !

Deanne, what a shame about all your lovely spring flowers ! My pansies today are laying on their sides and who knows if theyll recover, its getting a bit late for them here any way. We are supposed to start cooling off a bit tomorrow, 80s instead of 90s.

I hope Martie is not under the weather for her b-day

Later everyone

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Martie !!!

{{gwi:164621}}

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Deanne, would you believe that your rant made me feel better? I sometimes feel that I'm only posting that it's too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, but this year has been totally bonkers. My spring bulbs lasted forever because it was so cool, but the iris came and went so fast, if you blinked you missed them. On the critter front, I'm dealing with the tiny ones. The pantry moths appear to be vanquished, but I'm starting to think that it was because the ants ate them all. I've got bait stations all over the kitchen - and ants all over the kitchen as well. I've sprayed outside but don't want to spray inside. Carpenter bees have moved into the beams over the front porch, while spider mites are attacking the house plants. Sue, didn't you mention something about a plague of locusts?

V.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention! I made an appeal for free mulch for our community garden at church. (Background: we have a lot of unused land at the church, so we have planted about 625 sq feet as a community garden, with the produce to be given to the local food pantry. We checked with the food pantry ahead of time to be sure we planted things they could use.) I got a call to day from someone who knows a tree trimmer. Seems that, with all the violent weather we have had, there are a lot of trees to take down. So we just may have our free mulch! Lemons will be turned into - garden tomatoes?

V. (who had to add a positive note!)

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Here are the white faced birthday triplets - Nikki and Sasha, 14, and youngster Monty, 13. We had 16 hounds and a token Weimaraner (upper left hand corner.) Greyhounds do make all other dogs look fat :)

{{gwi:164623}}

That deer picture is beautiful Marian! How could anything be wrong with the world with a view like that :)

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The hats.The scarves. I'm speechless.

• chelone
    15 years ago

What a cheery birthday shot. It made me laugh, Wrecks would make short work of one of those hats... does not like to be made "sport of". And I would dearly love to see a shot of Dannie in her pool. Perhaps you will give us an update on Katie's wheels?

I was fascinated by the sand art, too. Wondered if they used stencils to accomplish the intricacy of the design, chuckled at the havoc a sneeze could wreak... OR a curious cat.

Wow, Deanne, a Fisher in your area? very exciting. I've seen one in my neighborhood and that was many years ago now. It was in the winter and it was coming down the hill across the street over frozen, crusted snow. I thought it was a cat at first, but it was too low to the ground and it moved down the slope quickly and very decisively. I described it as moving like oil down a slope, not the way a cat moves at all. BEAUTIFUL! My favorite nursery has one that has been stuffed; they found it beside the road where it had been hit by car. It was a great opportunity to study such a handsome, supremely adapted animal.

My smpathies to all with the 3H blues. It was 100 degrees in Manchester, NH and it hit a high of 72 in Portland, ME.; it was warmer here, but not nearly as oppressive as what many of you have described. I am especially sensitive to the early "loss" of garden plants, feeling that way myself, though for other reasons. We had a late thunderstorm that made Vera nervous enough to seek cover under the bedclothes, lol. In retreating thusly she surrended the much prized and sought out "puffy box bed" to Spencer... who is STILL in bed.

Marian, that shot of the two deer is wonderful. Very peaceful, but I was also thinkin' they'd look pretty nice strung up by their hind legs, "curing". ;) You've managed to supply us with some pretty good "nature shots" over the years.

Time to think about saddlin' my pony and gettin' to work. The big canopy we laid out last Friday is slated for installation this morning. I have a really stupid project ahead of me, one destined to fail, I'm afraid. It's designed by the homeowner, complete with very detailed instructions that indicate clearly they have no idea what they're doing (specs using 1/8" don't exist in the world of of awnings and fabric, and there is no way a canopy the size they've spec'd is going to withstand wind or rain load fastened down with VELCRO!). They were advised repeatedly about the latter, but were hearing none of it... so make it we will and when it fails (and it will) it won't be our problem. But knowing something is doomed to failure rather takes the joy out of the project!

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Thanks all for the wonderful birthday pics and wishes. Had to LOL at Marian sending me two young bucks -- who can complain?? I truly enjoyed catching up with all of you yesterday while sitting in total AC with no remorse :-)

For my birthday, my parents got me a new set of wheels:

{{gwi:164624}}

Perfect!

Will be back to catch up later.

Thanks, again!

Martie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

We could've used those wheels at the Tower Hill plant sale, Martie! Next year.....

We were transported to the deep south for about 4 days....cold showers brought no relief because you were covered with condensation 5 minutes after exiting :) I did my best to do as little as possible. That means today will be exceptionally busy!

It is much nicer this morning.

I love the party pictures! The scarves are perfect! Those guys look like they enjoy modeling....Zeus looks pretty sullen when he has to play dress up with Sarah :)

Deanne, I loved that I could see the humidity in the air in the shots of your garden! Glad to see you found the bright side in the tropicals :) I think I shared this before, but curly willow branches crisscrossed over the pond will deter the heron, and it's pretty to boot. The floating globes accomplish the same thing....

I love the shot of the deer! Two young bucks, LOL, Martie!

Michelle, I too wonder if you guys would make out in the wind deal? Nick is exploring unique ideas for our home...

I guess I'd better freshen up the coffee and walk the kids to the bus. There is not much left of school! The kids are getting less eager to attend by the day.....

TTYL!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I'm caught up!

A beautiful morning here....but I must check out breakfast and give Phoebe her walk.

Later!

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Good hot morning... yes, I know the temps are lower, but I have continued to have commuting nitemares daily and it was another one today (at least there was a.c. - last nite's trip home had none and I seriously thought I was going to have heat stroke)....it makes me rethink what my work options are on a daily basis - guess I should buy a lottery ticket.

Deanne - thanks for the rant -- you and I seem to be on the same wave length -- my garden is toasted and I barely have any energy to walk the dog let alone go out later to see what's died or near death... I was just thinking last nite it's only the 10th of June and I've lost my enthusiasm for gardening right now - it's likely to be a very long, sad looking summer.

Again, when we started talking about hostas, I too thought of the marvelous garden we saw w/ the creative rooms and the front one where the entire mini hostas resided... I had in fact purchased Blue Mouse Ears in the spring of 07 and do love it ....

here's a pic of the minis we saw so cleverly displayed -- it was such a great small bed w/ a lot going on from different angles; this one reflects the cool 'tufa pot w/ the hosta growing out of it that we all wondered "how'd she do that?"

Cynthia -- love those parties you throw!!

{{gwi:164625}}

Cindy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Chelone....I had one Francis William Hosta and one small NOID hosta for years and that was it, then I added Guacamole two years ago and this year I bought two at a local plant sale and was given one at a swap. I hadn't thought about what a great all around plant they are until you 'advocated' for them. [g] I am still trying to find the best locations for mine.

Deanne....so sorry about the effect of the heat on your garden. So glad the worst of it has past. This was our first year with a blooming Peony. The first bud opened on the 7th and two blooms had dropped by the 10th. Thankfully there are still a few on the plant. I wonder if there are any varieties with later bloom dates, so you could overlap the bloom period and have them for longer? When is your main season of bloom?

I had to look up Fisher Cat...I was thinking more along the lines of a predator 'Cat'. Looks more like the weasel family. I did run across some trivia about NH though...See the link below.

Gardenbug...why are you writing down everything that passes your lips? [g]

Marian...LOVE your photo. Really reminds me of the opening shot in Bambi. :-) Good job framing the shot.

Kathy...thanks for the rose info. I will have to keep looking for Alfalfa meal. Do you ever do Banana peels and coffee grounds around the base of the plant under mulch? I've heard that recommended a lot. Pretty hydrangea!

I think your gas prices are a little higher there. I am not sure, DD, DH fill the tank, but I thought I heard $4. the last time it came up.

Adorable party outfits, Cynthia! :-)

Love your new wheels, Martie!

Nothing new to report from our house...cooler weather coming in for the next 7 days...love it! Have a great day.

pm2

Here is a link that might be useful: The New Hampshire Fisher Cats

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

{{gwi:164626}}

• denisez10
    15 years ago

I wonder if elementary school kids ever see demonstrations of what the greyhound can do on the school athletic fields? Seeing Irish wolfhounds running full tilt in an empty field on our cul de sac "imprinted" me on dogs forever, lol.

What a virtual Terrapin Station this has turned into!

Michelle, perhaps you can strike a deal to be allowed to grow climbing roses up the wind turbine's legs? ;) Sounds like you've got a valuable resource in your unique area of the state. That's an intriguing proposition, but is it like having an oil well on your property, generating a bit of profit for you too?

V, we chased pantry moths earlier this year and finally localized them to a bag of pecans left over from Christmas baking, so check the baking cupboard. Ants, however, are invincible. They usually come inside looking for water towards late July here.

The father's day present was going to be the hands-free head set, since cell phone use in cars will be banned this July in Calif, but now I'm hearing (via public radio) that these give a higher EM radiation dose than the cell phone to your ear. This is the wire hands-free headset, not even talking the bluetooth. The expert said Spain and England have prohibited cell phone use in children under 9, yet this issue is not much on the radar here yet, except resurfacing with the Kennedy medical issues.

Deanne, I swear, tears stung my eyes when I read your rant. That is almost too much to bear, but as you say, at least you've got the tropicals. And now Cindy reporting more of the same, Saucy too. Too much weather happening out there, T storms and whatnot! Yesterday's marine layer was so heavy it misted.

Returning for volume six today of the witness on oxygen. The local courts are hiring, and I was slightly tempted for the benefits, but this long job has convinced me otherwise, no way, no how. I've gotten spoiled with doing a different job every day, new faces, new location. If Friday's job was a total disaster (and last Friday's definitely was) Monday's will be different! Except for this multi-volume one, sigh. I

Happy belated birthday, Martie. Marine layer precluded any photos in the a.m., tho I really did try, and this is what I got duskish last night of the new Paisley abutilon in your honor. Should've moved it away from that green background...

{{gwi:164627}}

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Thanks for the appreciative comments on the deer. I went out on the deck to get the pic, and had to hunker down to see them under the Dogwood and Fringetree. :-)

LOL, Chelone, that thought passed through my mind, but I am not too fond of venison.

Martie, your birthday gift is neat. :-)

Michelle, I love those colors in your last pic.

So sorry about the torrid heat many are suffering ( not to mention all the other weather related disasters! ). We have been very fortunate here so far, except for too much rain that washed out our roads...over and over, and a hail that damaged some of the leaves on my plants. We have had no excess heat...yet. It is rather cool today. I started out with summer clothes, but changed to something a little warmer awhile ago. The breeze coming in the window close to where I am sitting is chilly, but I hesitate to close it. I have on a t shirt, maybe something with long sleaved would be better ? This thin old skin isn't as tough as it used to be. :-(

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES