{{gwi:164631}}

Iris Silverado

{{gwi:164632}}

Prestonian Lilac

{{gwi:164633}}

Comments (13)

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Lovely flowers. You take great photos bug! :)

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I love that white Columbine Marie ! Do you know its name or was it in a mixed collection?
    Fabu-fabu as usual !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy, I bought a package of seeds of these columbines many years ago. They were both white and pale blue. Woody has some now too. The photo below is darker blue than any of mine. I see on Google that there are pink ones as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquilegia Tower Light Blue

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Beautiful pastels! The colors are wonderfully cooling on this hot and sticky morning.

Your photography is something to aspire to!

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Marie, I am so glad you posted that pic of Iris Silverado. I have one exactly like it that a friend gave me, and had no idea what it's name is. I knew it was something special. She is more able to buy the more expensive things than I am.
    Your Clematis Dawn sort of reminds me of a subdued Comtesse de Bouchaud. I thought I had lost mine ( C de B), but found a sprout this spring, so I dug it up and it is now in a pot, waiting for a new permenant spot. :-)
    I am not succeeding with lilacs at all. I now have an old fashioned purple in a pot. I hope I can find a place to plant it that it will like. Other people around here have very good success with them.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Pastels are so elegant and you have captured them perfectly.
    thanks
    Michelle

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Found under GW heading: "Do many Prestonian lilacs still exist?" Answered by Ginny: "In 1920 and after, at the Ottawa experiment station, Isabella Preston crossed Syringa villosa and S. reflexa to produce the Prestoniae hybrids, somewhat later blooming than the common lilac, S. vulgaris. Father Fiala says many of these hybrids are quite similar so one might not want a collection of them. He also says they get pretty big, altho he says they make great container plants when young. They bloom well in containers, he says."

Who knew?

Frosty cool, 'bug!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went on a lilac course once at the Royal Botanical Gardens nearby. Isabella Preston and other Canadians have done amazing amounts of work on lilacs, even a yellow one, but the French have the reputation we were told, and so the nurseries will not even consider their stuff. Live and learn!

Marian, try keeping your clematis in its pot buried in the ground and plant it next year. This will allow the roots to strengthen and it will be happier for it! It also gives you time to decide on the best spot for it!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

gb - the white columbine ... did it start out pale blue? I went out this morning to take pictures, including one of the pretty pale blue columbines that you gave me the other year- but they are now all pretty white columbines, although they were blue two days ago!

I like that clematis Dawn. Hey, that's a group 2! (I looked it up on COTW.) I thought you didn't grow group 2s... You've been holding on on us.... :-)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, the columbines fade as they age Woody. I still like them. At least they don't turn red!

I have a few group 2 clematis. These things happen...I also give some away.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Beauties Gardenbug! Silverado is also one of my favorites and on my list of iris to buy, that I don't have room for. [g] Our lilacs have been past for at least a couple of weeks, even the later S. pallibin. Yours is really late, isn't it? Can't figure out how some things bloom later and some things are blooming sooner than me. Strange.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PM, if you search out prestonian lilacs, they are always the latest. They even have a different leaf shape. I'll try to get a picture later on...as well as pet photos for the other thread! (busy busy here...)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz