Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll # 504 ..June,June June..

dodgerdudette
12 years ago

As geographically diverse as we are, June is a month we all have in common..Carry on Idylls !

Comments (103)

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Woody, it's Pinacolada Blue. As Kathy mentioned I think there is Violet and many a couple of other colors. I'll have to check my local nursery as I saw the rodgersia and see if they are the aesculifolia type. Thanks for the info.

We are off on a beautiful to visit my Dad for Father's Day.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

My plant ghetto has increased for the first time this year. I have a pinnata type rodgersia that I bought a few weeks ago there. They work well growing in our creekside area. I'm very fond of their foliage which resembles chestnut tree leaves.

I picked up some nice blue corydalis which I like to plant near hostas. I found a small Gentian, Blue Magic, which I want to add to Reed's garden. (I got that at Lost Horizons Woody. They have about 5 different sizes and colors of gentian there.)

I also picked up a Golden Arrows Persicaria, yet another Baptisia (Midnight Prairie Blues) and one more clematis. So I'll be planting in the near future.

I'm quite surprised that I've purchased so many blue plants! I have zero blue inside our home but I seem to use it a lot out in the gardens.

It is a lovely Father's Day and it is also DD's birthday today. Our baby is now 35!

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Long ago we began a project together on this forum, (started by Wendy?) where we were going to photograph standards made from any plant we chose. Mine was a variegated ficus, which I still have, but not pruned as a standard. Seeing Michelle's miniature fairy garden reminded me of that project. Anyone else still have their plant? I'll try to get a photo of mine soon.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

I will have to keep an eye out for that penstemon! And, gb, it sounds like I need to make a trip to Lost Horizons soon....

The clematises on the iron tuteur are growing well. The first one bloomed today; the others all have buds too and another one is starting to open.

{{gwi:164689}}

A closer view of the flower - Rouge Cardinal (?)
    {{gwi:164692}}

I think the one that is almost open may be Star of India. The others planted there are Huldine and Perrin's Pride. But since I seem to have a few clematises that aren't what they are supposed to be, I'll just have to wait and see what appears :-)

We just came back from a nice walk by the lake - beautifully sunny, cool(16C) and breezy. I should be out doing some work but am feeling very lazy!

• denisez10
    12 years ago

Good to see everyone and their gardens thriving and not too many references over my head. What a gorgeous lily 'bug posted. And little Stella is impeccably groomed! And what a tug on heartstrings to see a photo of Saucy's leaf in Kathy's garden. (Kathy, that's wonderful news about Kyle's career.) My own fringe tree has been home to nesting mockingbirds two years in a row. The weather on the East Coast has been tumultuous, but Deanne's garden looks to be on track, so that's a relief. Happy summer to all idyllers.

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Evening all, what a beautiful day we had today! brilliant sunshine, light breeze, 72 degrees. It couldn't have been lovelier. I spent a good deal of the day in the gardens watering, deadheading and sprucing thing up. I still have to finish planting a couple things and edging the beds in the back yard before I'm ready for the Open Days in three weeks but I might just be ready in time. I think I'll need a vacation from the gardens when that's over with. LOL Doug finished painting my planter and got the trellis installed and it turned out exactly as I wanted it to. I just love it when a plan comes together.

Here's a pic of the finished and planted box

{{gwi:164694}}

{{gwi:164696}}

The passion flower vines are apparently happy there and have put on quite a bit of growth in the two days since I planted this.

Bug, we've got dreadful mosquitoes this year also. I seem to pick up a few new bites every day I work out in the back gardens. Even with bug spray, which I hate, I still manage to get bitten. ~~~ Wait until you see how fast that castor bean grows, they are amazing.

Norma, glad your cold is getting better and I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your beautiful gardens and pond.

Kathy, thanks for the link to the clematis site. Great stuff. ~~ Absolutely love the Lisa Leaf with the ground covers softening the edges. Great placement! and nice you got Ted to pose for us as well.

Cindy, love the garden pics and Stella is such a cutie. HOw did your shopping trip turn out?

Michelle, that little greenhouse for the fairy garden is wonderful! love that whole vignette. You are so creative! and of course I love all the other pics as well.

Woody, I have to agree that the combo of the fringe tree with the Persicaria is dynamite. So lovely!

OK I'm getting sleepy and have a long day of gardening to put in tomorrow. Waving hello to one and all. have a great evening everyone
    Deanne

• saucydog
    12 years ago

A fly by post as I am up past bedtime and it looks like a full week in the sun ahead of me. I took photos today and thought I'd share a link for those that aren't on Facebook.

I'm working on a mixed border (shrubs, small trees, big perennials) for an area in the GGarden, so pipe up with any suggestions. I've just planted a Rodgersia ;) Actually, I've planted quite a few fun things...the highlights include fillipendula, smaller varieties of aruncus, persicaria polymorpha, darmera peltata, persicaria (the one with the chevrons...), and I know there must be more.

Think of you all as I work in the garden. Had a nice Father's Day on the deck and talked to my dad. Beautiful weather topped it all off.

Saucy

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Saucy, I LOVE your rain chain in the succulent photo! I'm jealous. I need to find a Canadian source.

Deanne, amazing success. It's going to expand too! That E.Diamond Frost looks so great everywhere!

Yes Woody, clematis season has truly begun!

Denise, so nice to have you pop in! You have a fringe tree too? Mine are fringe bushes...and they are fantastic. Maybe Saucy needs one in the GG?

I'm off to bed early. Seems tomorrow may be another garden day after all, if I can believe the forecast. My friend arrives in the evening, so I can try to plant, mow and rake before she gets here.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi ho Idylls ! We are having a hot day here .. they have been few and far between so far this spring, which is ok by me, but I think the wine grape growers were staring to get a bit concerned..some of the varietals need heat to ripen properly. So there has been hose dragging, and a respite this afternoon , DS and I went to a one day showing of a concert version of Steven Sondheims 'Company' at the local movie theater. It was fantastic ; we are huge Sondheim fans in this house.

Other than that , the road trip stageing area has been opened, laundry is done, car is almost clean..I will leave work early on Wed and drive halfway to Portland, with a stopover in the high plains of northern California. I have made sure that internet access is available at all my stops, lol.

Deanne, that planter is just perfect with your house , and in that particular location. I hope you will share updates with us !

Woody, love to peek into your garden. I know red colors are hard to photograph, how would you compare that Rouge Cardinal with Niobe ? I have always admired Persicaria Polymorpha, but it is simply not suitable for my climate.

Hiya Denise, I will include a link to your blog below for those here who may not have visited. Yesterdays photos of Ein alone are worth a visit.

Ok, time to eat and fold laundry--

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Denise--A Gardening Obsession

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Morning all, and what a fabulous morning it is here. Beautiful weather predicted for a week. What a great way to start summer. the gardens here are just bursting into their lush summer beauteousness. I must get a pic of the Asiatic Manhattan lilies later, They are huge and wonderful. The Catbirds that have taken up residence in the hemlocks are constant and entertaining company while I work in the gardens. I'm hoping to finish planting the dregs of the annuals today and get back to my edging project.

Thanks Bug and Kathy, and yes I'll post updates on the growth of the massive planter. I've been toying with the idea of planting a clematis in there next summer as it's quite deep and I'll bet it would do OK there. We'll see.

Saucy, your gardens and outdoor spaces are looking amazing! YOu've really put a lot of time and thought into your plantings and arrangements. Love it!

Kathy, thanks for the link to Denise's Blog. It's wonderful reading and the pics are fabulous.

Denise, so great to see you pop in here. Hope to hear from you more often.

A pic of one of my Catbirds. They've taken to sitting in the fuchsia standard...
    {{gwi:164701}}

OK off to get some breakfast and start my day in the gardens. Have a great day everyone
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What a cute little guy Deanne (or gal as the case may be) we don�t have this bird here, though the goldfinches provide plenty of entertainment. Do you use a tripod when you take the bird shots ? I have one, but I�m thinking about getting a mono-pod too. I�m thinking that would be much easier �on the road�.

We are having our first big heat wave, it�s 91 right now at almost 9pm, and will get close to 100 tommorow. It will still be hot when I depart on my trip north Wednesday afternoon, so I�ll have to run the a/c in my car the whole way. It will be pleasant in northern Oregon, and I might see some drizzle on the way up. Have to pack a wide range of layering clothes for this trip ! I�m going from 90�s here to mid 60�s in Washington. I shudder to think what my garden will look like when I get home. I�ve been watering like crazy for 2 days, and just hoping DS can keep up with the container watering.

Going to catch a couple innings of pathetic Dodger baseball before hitting the hay tonight..

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Morning all, another beautiful day here in Southern NH. We've had three gorgeous days in a row. What a treat. I've started getting the tower next to the shed planted and just need to do the bottome tier. I'm hoping to be able to finish that and finish edging the beds in the back yard today.

Kathy, yes I always use a tripod to take the bird pics. The camera/lens combination I'm using is really heavy and hard to hand hold steady enough to get decent shots. I've been thinking of picking up a mono pod for field work as well. ~~ Hope your containers and gardens come through the hot weather OK. ~~ Have a safe and fun trip! I'm looking forward to your updates.

OK time to get out in the gardens, have a great day
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Sunny morning here. Lots of errands to do - and all of it fun with my long time friend joining in. Turns out DH is off to a conference so it will be ladies only for a while too.

Kathy, I hope you have room in your car for some rain gear...like boots...in case things are soggy still at Penny's! You'll enjoy her bird houses, birds and more!
    Later,
    'bug

• chelone
    12 years ago

I love the sleek, monochromatic subtlety of Catbirds. So pretty. Deanne will be horrified to learn that only the new windowboxes on the south facing Salon window (Saucy's window) have anything planted in them. How can it be that at the Solstice all the others are vacant? I hope that will be cured tomorrow, though I was unable to procure Browallia this year. I will NOT pay for "Proven Winners", they're nothing but "Proven Rip-offs" for those of us with multiple windowboxes.

I delivered a patio set cushion job over the weekend that was delightedly received. And a follow up drapery job turned out nicely, too. Am now working on another decidedly "artsy" job, gratis, but one with excellent "exposure" that I feel could really "get my name out there". We'll see.

Michelle, your garden shots are so pretty; you have such a nice touch with composition. As do you all.

Beautiful day here... but it's all downhill from here, you guys. Days are getting shorter, lol.

12 years ago

Another cool and sunny day here today. I didn't get any gardening work done though. However I did spend some time lounging on the back porch with Misty and a book, enjoying the view of the backyard and the fragrance of the fringetree! (I hadn't realized when I planted it last year that it has such a lovely scent!) I'd love to put one in the front garden too but don't have space for another tree there.

Saucy - I was just checking out your pictures... You paths look great! How're the bees doing? I also noticed lots of big-leafed plants - models for castings I asume?!

Kathy - If you're on this side of the border sometime, you should come and take a peek into the garden in person! My Niobe seem to have disappeared this year. It always wilted on the iron arbour in the front garden. Last summer it seemed to have decided to just ramble about the front bed and seemed happy with that. But I haven't seen it at all this year. I much prefer the red of the clematis on the iron tuteur. It's supposed to be Rouge Cardinal according to the tag but the pictures on COTW aren't the rich red that this one is, so I'm not sure... The color in the picture I posted is pretty true to what's there. It's an incredible red - I love it!

Deanne - your bird photos are always amazing. Randy particularly enjoys them and frequently sends the link to them to a birding/photographer friend who enjoys them too.

Rain and thunderstorms in the forecast for tonight and the next few days. Most of the garden is still in good shape for moisture after the May excesses of rainfall, but more is welcome now.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just a quickie tonight, I've been packing the car and doing more watering (yet another 90 plus day) and am on the road after a few hours in the awfice tomorrow.

Chelone, . Browallia is found out here in 6 paks quite commonly-too bad you are having trouble finding it. Too bad you aren't a seed lady ! Funny how some people are so passionate about seed starting. I enjoy it , but find that I don't do it every year-none at all this year except what came up volunteer, not even Zinnias. I expect I will resume next winter. Bet you could put a sweet little set-up in the salon with all those windows .

Woody, I promise you if I am able to make it across the border during IU I would love to come see your garden 'in person' ! I am having some issues with the tourist card thing-I haven't been into Canada or Mexico since pre 9/11 and discovered that I need a passport or another less complicated drivers license style thing that you can use for Canada�unfortunately the fact that I don�t know the birthdate (only the year) of either of my parents has slowed the process, and I may not get the thing in time for IU. Jeesh. I am going to visit a Clematis collection while in Oregon�maybe I will see something like yours ! If so I will try to get a photo.

Ok, gotta go , I need to get a normal nights sleep tonight�waves to all, and will check in from the road !

Kathy in Napa

12 years ago

Kathy - I hope you get your paperwork sorted out in time... Although I haven't travelled out of the country since the mid-1990s, I always keep my passport up-to-date 'cause you just never know when it might be useful... Also, since I no longer drive, it has become my photo ID whenever I need to show that somewhere.

I was disappointed to note this morning that, now that the Rouge Cardinal clematis has been open for a few days, it has faded to the pinky-red that looks more like the pictures on COTW. I was hoping it would stay the nice deep red that it was in the past couple of days!

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

This week has just been a whirlwind of messes.... chaos at the awfice, nuf said.

Deanne, I fear that all those pleasant days you've gotten we've had horrible humidity here in this region - the degrees have been lower but it's been like a swamp. The good news is that we have gotten a few rain showers at nite so no hose lugging at least. That planter box is magnificent and I bet it puts on a lot of growth the new few weeks for your big 'do -- I guess IU will be your "vacation" rest, LOL, after all this hard work!

I'm glad to see Denise whiz by -- I saw the Ein post from Kathy's kind post of her blog (much as I love it I just dont find the time to read or lurk much anywhere lately) and thought Stella might want to make some comments, but decided we should keep the canines anonomous, LOL.

More workmen coming tomorrow to the house - sure to have more plant disasters to ensue... I'm trying to steel myself for tramping of treasures.

Woody -- I've noticed this eyar a lot of issues re my metal trellises and arbors -- several of the clematis have definitely overbaked on them and gonzo they go -- the good news is that they do seem to recover -- but if the heat is the mid 90s it's just too much on the metal during the day in the sun I fear. I've pondered the wisdom of the metal, but know that I feared the upkeep for wood (and related termite issues near the house).

Glad to hear you're feeling better finally, Michelle -- those photos are wonderful and that fairy garden to die for! You are so clever! Trying to figure out where I can revamp and include a fairy garden in the next few years.... Isla and her Mom visited on Saturday and we did a little tour -- she definitely looked interested in the flowers and the butterflies that were all over - can't wait! [No shopping, Deanne, DD was too tired after the munchkin has been awaking at 4 a.m. for a week for food and parental play, LOL....so we enjoyed a leisurely few hours - I say leisurely loosely as Isla did not want to nap and was in constant motion - she and Stella were both worn out].

I love my fringe tree too - but it seems to yellow ever year and I notice that the leaves are starting to get that tone -- dont know if it's a pest or a mineral deficiency happening.

Kathy - have a wonderful vacation and enjoy the cooler weather and we know we will see some marvy photo reports from you. Safe travels. (Geez re the passport issue -- who knew...)

--Cindy

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Morning all,

We had some significant rain yesterday and I'm a happy camper because I don't have to water anything today. The gardens and containers are really filling in and putting on some growth. The first liles of the season have opened and it's looking so pretty, These Manhattan lilies are such stars!

{{gwi:164704}}

{{gwi:164707}}

I have a couple clumps of them and they make such a dramatic statement in the borders. The clematis are opening and 'Betty Corning' is particularly wonderful this year. Absolutely smothered with flowers! I have her in five spots and she blooms and grows beautifully in all locations. I'm particularly fond of this location with the Persicaria polymorpha

{{gwi:164709}}

Cindy, so sorry you've had such miserable weather so far this spring/summer. Bummer that your clematis have issues with the metal trellises. Does the whole plant wilt to the ground or just the parts that are attached to the metal? Any yes, I'm looking forward to IU! It will be great to visit someone elses gardens and have nothing more serious on the agenda than taking pictures and visiting with friends. Cant wait to see everyone! ~~ Crossing my fingers that the workmen don't damage anything.

Kathy, looking forward to updates from your trip..

Woody, many thanks! so happy you and Randy like my bird photos. ~~~ I'd like to have a fringe tree here but don't know if I have room for one.

Chelone, sounds like you've been really busy, hope you can get your window boxes planted soon.

Bug, hope you are having a great visit with your friend. When will DH be back home?

OK I've got to go and feed the kitties and get my day started. have a good one everybody
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Like Deanne, we had a real rain last night which makes a huge difference in the gardens. It is hard having company and remaining attentive to watering and so on!

I've managed a bit of weeding at 6:30 in the mornings...just to stay a little more on top of things. Today it was too wet for that. I need to dead head Lupines, Foxgloves, Camassia and Sweet Cicely, but I guess I'll be forced to wait until tomorrow when my friend continues on her journey and DH returns.

Yesterday was a strange day in a way with odd phone calls from unexpected folks. Among them though was a call announcing the return of our riding mower at last!

The clematis are just beginning to take off and that is exciting! No lilies here yet, and the vegetables seem stalled but perhaps rain will help change that. The little rose that Woody gave me is blooming its heart out!

Off to start the day!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Yummy photos from Deanne here today - Deanne, I must say those Manhattan lilies were the best investments in lilies I've ever made -- your photos show them at their most luscious and were of course the main reason I bulked up on them - I've got 3, maybe 4 clumps, and each year since planting they've put on a tremendous rewarding show -- their stems are really, really, sturdy (no staking!), the blooms remain for long periods despite bad weather, and their color really doesn't fade much even as they age and eventually drop. I wish I could find a few other cultivars that are 3/4s as great as these lilies. The only sad part is that they're early bloomers. Of course, your gardens could be ads for most any marketing of a plant you own - that Persicaria polymorpha is stunning but I know I don't have anywhere for that babe! The fountain is looking wonderful this year!

Re the metal trellis/clems, intense heat seems to magnify on the metal and fry the entire plant, but luckily not into the roots, so it does grow back if I cut down, but of couse that's it for any blooms for the season. Unlike wilt, I usually see the whole stem turn dark brown after an initial wilt at the top.... weird looking like an overcooked fried food item....

Glad you got respite with rain, Gardenbug, and your mower coming back - I know that makes a huge difference to how you feel staying on top of things...LOL re watering and guests - my Dad was at my brother's for Father's Day dinner and he said my brother spent the entire time outside watering his property, while Dad was inside eating with the children; brother bolted his food down and ran out to water some more... he totally neglected host duties altho he did manage to cook the meal.

Stella and I are hunkered down here as the workers busy themselves installing new windows - it's going really quickly, but I know they've got a lot left to do re caulking, wrapping and other stuff. This is turning into a Spring Housecleaning "opportunity" - when one has to move stuff and drapes down, I'm finding it time to start cleaning that stuff that hadnt been cleaned in more time than I will admit here, LOL....Altho I wish I had another day to take my time with it all, but I need to be back at work tomorrow. They'll likely be back tomorrow to work from outside all day...I'm not looking to see what's happening outside; it is what it is; and I guess anything will grow back, and I'm looking forward to finally having some degree of comfort in the house for winter and summer and being able to open windows again (with screeens no less!) whenever I might want to.

--Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Very rainy here for the last few days. The sun finally poked through today. It was only 70 degrees when
    got home from work so it was a good night to pull some weeds along the edges at least. I added a few annuals to the containers that I was able to pick up on clearance. I also found a clematis for the tuteur that I used to have "Arabella" on. It was too tall for her and I found a perfect new one for her. A trycertis and a little soldiago were picked up as well.

I�m enjoying the climbing roses on my arbor this year. I�ve wanted climbing roses for years but in my zone I struggled with cane die back. Even New Dawn. William Baffin is my latest try and its blooming nicely. Of course the partial shade makes it more challenging.

Tomorrow is the first day of a 5 day vacation. I hope the weather cooperates.

Deanne, the catbird picture is very pretty with the fuchsia. That planter box is going to be amazing and what a perfect spot.

I finally planted a persicaria polymorpha in my garden. I ended up ordering it since I�ve never seen it around here. Of course I see it this spring.

�bug, I don�t have my topiary. Mine were rosemary but they are hard to keep in the house.

I saw browallia in 6 packs the other day and thought of you Chelone. I thought of Kathy when I was planting my celosia Flamingo Feather Purple. Are you able to find 6 packs there?

Cindy, my fairy garden is quite small, I�m sure you can find a spot. I�ve found myself enjoying quite a bit. I don�t have any fairies. I really should look for some. Kenzie has the Disney fairies to put in the garden.

Its getting late I�d best wrap this up.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good evening friends frome the PNW..
    Saw 2 wonderful gardens today , and tommorow afternoon I head up to Washington for my visit to Bainbridge Island. Posting a few pics tonight from the Rogerson Clematis collection.What a charming garden this was, and lots of new areas planted too. Unexpected were that many antique roses at the garden, Gallicas, Portlands , Bourbons etc all in full bloom. {{gwi:164711}}From 2011-06-24
    {{gwi:164713}}From 2011-06-24

There were several of these really nicely done and sturdy trellises {{gwi:164714}}From 2011-06-24
    {{gwi:164715}}From 2011-06-24

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

You'd think this was the PNW with all the sogginess. The foxgloves are bowing towards Mecca, the Agastaches are horizontal and the story repeats itself throughout the gardens. Somehow the weeds manage to survive it all and are blooming. The bugs survive as well. I am hoping to get more tidied up next week, should the weather cooperate. Can't even mow.

Skyler was interviewed on the radio about his Disney trip for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Afterwards, the gang stopped off at the mall for a bite to eat. There was a wonderful statue of a man eating a burger at one of the tables. Little Leo tried to eat the burger and touch the man's mustache and everyone had a good time!

{{gwi:164716}}

{{gwi:164717}}

{{gwi:164718}}

{{gwi:164719}}

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

It could be the PNW here too. Rain pretty much every day. Yesterday it was only a small shower and I was about to quit in the garden for the day since we were having guests for dinner. It looks like it rained overnight and is now cloudy and cool.

Kathy, I really like the structures. The clematis are pretty too.

;bug, that's a neat statue that would really appeal to kids.

I think I'll make my way outdoors and get something done before it rains again. I haven't had to water the pots all week, so that chore is taken care of.

Michelle

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

School's out. I have to admit that I just scrolled through quickly and checked out all the pictures. All your gardens are looking marvelous and I love the pics of the kids, 'bug. Boy are they growing, but then that is what they are supposed to do, isn't it? So very cute.

I haven't even started on my containers on the deck or patio. Not sure I will this year unless DH hands over a wad of cash which is highly unlikely ;) I am still paying off the dentist. Oh well.

Just wanted to check in and say hello. Guests coming for dinner, so time to marinate the London Broil and shuck the corn.

I will be back...glad to know you're all still here! :)

Cynthia

12 years ago

gb- those pictures with 'the hamburger guy' are great! I couldn't help wondering though how often the hamburger gets disinfected! :-)

Kathy those supports for the clematises are very nice indeed!

Today we finally got around to doing something I've been meaning to do for a couple of years now - a garden gallery along the hall between the front entrance and the living room.

Looking towards the front entrance:
    {{gwi:164720}}
    There are 7 pictures on the long wall and 3 on the kitchen wall side. The bedroom hallway near where Misty is has family pictures - the one you can see a bit of near Misty is of Randy about age 6 climbing through a picket fence!

Looking towards the LR:
    {{gwi:54468}}
    I think I'll be swapping the landscape print over the fireplace with the dogwood painting in the master bedroom since a floral painting will now be more appropriate there.

The frames were cheapies on sale at a local camera store. It's easy to take them apart to put the photos in so I'll probably change the pictures in the frames every couple of months or so. At the moment all the pictures on the long wall are from the sun garden so I'll probably change them down the road to put up backyard/shade pictures.

I'm a bit concerned that perhaps it makes the hall walls a bit 'busy', but we'll live with it for awhile and then assess whether it will be a permanent feature or not.

12 years ago

Our town's garden tour isn't until September this year so we went today to the one in a nearby town. There weren't a lot of things that really grabbed me in the gardens we saw. But here are a few things we found interesting...

One garden had this beautiful white clematis blooming in the front. The label said it was Huldine but it's clearly not! Any guesses on what it is gb? Could it be the Mevrouw Le Coultre one? That seems to be the closest match I could find on COTW, although the stamens on this one aren't as yellow as the ones in the COTW picture (although they were yellower than they appear in the photo...) Whatever it is, I want one!
    {{gwi:164721}}

At one garden, the most interesting thing was the house next door! It looked like it was being restored and it was to-die-for!
    {{gwi:164722}}

And at the last garden, the main attraction was the cat! We thought of Deanne...

{{gwi:164723}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

I don't know for sure which clematis you have seen today Woody, but I can say it is similar to Marie Boisselot & Mevrouw Le Coultre. I began my interest in clematis because of this clematis back in my Toronto days, perhaps 30 years ago. I found this clematis at Sheridan Nurseries, back when it was believed that the two names were the same plant. I managed to keep it alive for only about 3 years. Saddened, I did a great deal of reading and began to search for type 1 and 3 clematis instead. This was extremely difficult at the time. I still have a few of those first clematis here: Little Nell, White Swan (or something similar), Stans (http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=425)and Integrifolia Coerulea.

Here is a link that might be useful: blue integrifolia

12 years ago

gb - I'd be happy with either of those two white ones! As you know, I'm willing to take my chances with group 2s, so I'll keep an eye out for those ones.

I've tried integrifolias a couple of times and they just seem to disappear in no time! I actually had a Clematis stans in the patio bed (where it got too much shade...) Randy killed it a couple of years ago because he thought it looked dead in early spring and 'cleaned it up'. I got it at Country Squires Garden in Campbellville years ago - I wonder if that place is still there...? They had lots of odd and interesting stuff.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

I haven't been to Keith Squires place in decades, but I heard it was around a while ago. It was interesting when no place had interesting things.

I haven't seen Marie Boisselot or Mevrouw Le Coultre for sale for decades...

Here is a link that might be useful: Still around?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Woody, that is an amazing clematis! I only have one, planted when we first moved here and I don't even know which it is-I probably picked the most common purple one-lol. It has never done very much, but the blooms are always pretty. It dies to the ground in winter. I was hoping for a wonderful lush plant to cover the trellis I put up in front of a sign in our he**strip by the road, but it never seems to get bigger. Also love that house-the upper porch is marvelous!

So, today, I can't decide if I am avoiding clearing the clutter downstairs or avoiding weeding. Whichever it is, I am doing an excellent job of it! ;)

It is starting to look as if it might rain. I really do hope it is a good rain and not just a little spit from cloud gods. Think I will head out to plant a few things that I haven't gotten in the ground yet! I am so pathetic.

Happy Monday all.
    Cynthia

12 years ago

It's been awfully quiet around here lately....

gb - another clematis ID question for you: I bought this one a couple of years ago when we were vacationing in Niagara. I bought it at the same time as a variagated weigela with the intent to have it grow into the weigela. So I knew it was going to be pink but I have no label for it or any recollection of a name! Neither the weigela or the clematis has done much until this year. The weigela is finally poking above some of the perennials near it but is still very small. The clematis has decided to grow and has attached itself to the big butterfly bush near it in the front bed. Is this something you recognize gb?
    {{gwi:164725}}

{{gwi:164726}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Woody, could it be Inspiration (Zoin)?

12 years ago

The COTW pictures certainly looks like it. I think I would have remembered 'Inspiration', so if there was a label it must have said Zoin :-) Actually, I vaguely remember buying an Inspiration for the swag although I don't seem to have a label in my tag binders and don't have it on my swag spreadsheet either... I think there will be a few surprises on the swag because there were a few impulse purchases of things that caught my eye and seemed to fit the color scheme...! Actually, I don't really care about the names - as long as the color is right for the spot, that's the important thing. But it is nice to have a name for each 'face' :-)

You really have been a big influence on this garden gb. I was looking around the garden this past week and being amazed at how many clematises there now are! They seem to like the conditions here and you seem to have infected me with your addiction :-) The Harlequin honeysuckle on the north fence is looking in need of a severe rejuvenation pruning. I'm finding myself considering pruning the honeysuckle back to grow as a shrub (apparently Harlequin can be grown as a shrub...) and thinking that if I do that, it gives me room for more clematises on that fence...

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Kathy - what wonderful photos -- I bet you're having a blast in the PNW -- so jealous.... those clematis structures are so wonderful -- it shows what having a good carpenter could do for a gardener... I love the color combos -- I seem to fail in tht particular area -- it's so hard to get the timing correct for plants one thinks will bloom at the same time (including clematis).

'bug -- what a cool MCD -- I am always amazed how kids have so much fun at their places -- they must have a dept devoted to marketing to kids and their "local art" work - I see different things at each one (not that I've been on the inside much lately; but I confess to liking their Iced Coffees at the drive-thru).

Looks like things are really starting to pop at your place too, Woody -- love that Zoin. I'm going to get back to a list to order some clems next year. I really love that house you took the photo of on the tour -- what a wonderful wonderful structure! I bet it's equally neat inside.

Cynthia - enjoy your time off - hopefully you'll have some R&R and then can weed or organize at your leisure.

I did a quick trip to PA to visit the pater last weekend -- seems like my weekends have been taken up with so many things the deadheading and heavy watering have been missing - I note in the garden that I need some serious maintenance done - maybe one nite this week (along w/ putting the house back in order from last week's workers)- I turned that into a JJ job - one window/drape/treatment a nite, LOL - by the weekend I should have gotten there.

Michelle -- I love that lavender you posted on the moments thread - wow - amazing how full -- I'd kill for a plant that size of it - I can't keep one for love nor money...

It's back to hot hot hot here....The daylilies love it but I think they'll go over pretty quickly; the clems have put on the stops for blooming too.

Okay -- counting the hours til home home.

-Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hola Idylls, I'm settled in here in Ashland Or, my pit stop on the way back home.I have about 5 hours to go on the road tommorow, and then it's back to the awfice. I saw some great gardens on this trip and have lots of photos to share.A special thanks to 'bug who hooked me up with Penny Vogel.. a wonderful garden !

Backtracking a few days, here are some phtotos from the Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island. This was a private estate that has been preserved; it is a very naturalistic garden (i.e. no flowers borders etc) but features discretely manipulated settings of forest, meadow, and a beautiful Japaneses garden as well. {{gwi:164727}}From 2011-06-25
    {{gwi:164728}}From 2011-06-25
    {{gwi:164729}}From 2011-06-25
    {{gwi:164730}}From 2011-06-25

12 years ago

It looks like you had a very interesting trip Kathy - hopefully lots more pictures to come...?

• jak1
    12 years ago

Wow, Kathy,just looking at these photos is good for the soul! I can just imagine actually walking through there. You certainly get around to beautiful places.

More later Idylls!

Cheers,

Julie

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, Kathy - I cannot wait to see more of your trip photos. Isnt Bloedel where they started one of the first moss gardens? or maybe it's that they just have so many kinds, it's known for its mosses as well? I do recall how naturalistic but wonderful it is.

I think I forgot to mention that as a little sidenote to idyllers who have been here a while, my brother actually had his place on a little local garden tour to raise money for a local library a couple weeks ago, and it was apparently one of the highlights -- the garden looked great when I saw it briefly last week (and we immediately started talking about trees and clematis, LOL) -- he's come a long way since I chided him about having "hosta heaven" where he lined a bunch of beds with the same kind of hosta around his entire property. He really has gotten into the conifers, and is slowly making his way into deciduous trees -- but he has yet to branch out to many perennials (mostly lines his beds now with petunias and impatiens, LOL) but I am envious of his tri-color beech he recently purchased and a couple of Japanese maples. I often share names of trees I've seen either on the IU trips or the wonderful ones the folks here have -- I'm going to think of his large 5 acre property as an annex of my own (I offer up tree ideas I could never plant in my own yard, LOL). I think he discovered tho that he has to learn the Latin names because the folks on the tour were asking him all the names of things and he only knows them by their English common version (I gave him a big book a few years ago, but he's resisted trying the lingo).

Here in the DC region, we are finally getting some cooler temps - yesterday was something like 93 or 94, and it's popped down to a high of low 80s - more importantly, the humidity has dissipated for a few days - all Hs to return by the holiday weekend unfortunately. I really need to slug some hoses around but have been too tired at nite so the stuff is on its own for right now - maybe I'll get more energy tonite(?). I really should teach Stella how to do this chore for me -- she could do it during the day, right, LOL?

Well, off to work I am I am...

-cindy

• jak1
    12 years ago

Bummer. I will miss IU8 this year because I didn't keep track of my money.

If you are in your bare feet and drop the butcher knife the odds are that it will fall straight down and go through your foot. If you go to Emerg for stitches, the guy who got shot with the nail gun will get the doctor's attention before you do. If you decide to take the stitches out a week later, well you can't. So ends my dream of being a knife-thrower in the circus.

Meanwhile, I now understand why coastal gardens are so lush. We have had more than our share of rain, but the lawns and gardens are gorgeous. I noticed a little red flower on a trellis the other day; upon investigation, it appears to be a Ville de Lyon clematis that I thought had gone to the great beyond two years ago. What a treat.

I agree with you, Woody, Bug has certainly influenced my gardens as well. Now every vertical surface is considered for a clematis!

Today I took two friends who have moved here from the Toronto area to Rideau Woodland Ramble, where we all wanted everything. I came across some Echinacia (sp?) called Inspiration, plus a few other specimens that I hadn't seen before. Also some new mini Hosta, including a variegated Mouse Ears (pay attention, Deanne). I will have to back later in the summer for their sale. This place pushes the envelope for zones, and also stocks very unusual conifers. Truly a delight to visit. Also browsed the garden shops in Merrickville, where I used to live. I will be getting a birdbath and some secators (sp again???) for my upcoming birthday - I have my orders in!!

Last day of school tomorrow. TCS has had a successful year in his new school, and is pleased to be moving on to Grade 5. In his school, passing on to a higher grade is not automatic; a couple of his schoolmates are being held back. This has been unheard of in recent years, I think, and may not be a bad thing.

All in all, things are going well.

I certainly do love to check in with the Idylls every morning even if I don't always post. I consider myself so lucky to have been invited here!

Hope you all enjoy your week-end. Happy Canada Day to all the Canucks and Happy July 4th to all you Yanks!!

Cheers,

Julie

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good evening Idylls, I'm back home tonight trying to scrounge up some dinner from the empty larder. A rude awakening after all the great meals I had on my trip � all prepared by someone else, lol. We had almost an inch of rain while I was gone, good deal for DS who had watering detail. Average rainfall here for June is .16 of an inch, we have had 2.2 this year .Just to keep my on my toes, we are heading for the 90's this weekend.

Cindy, there is a fabulous moss garden and Bloedel, you remember correctly. The first photo was taken there-very shady so it was hard to get photos and they really don�t do it justice. I will put up a couple more this weekend.

Julie, that is a damn shame that you can't do IU this year, especially when it's so close to your neck of the woods. So, my advice is hide 10 dollars a week in a drawer , starting now. Seed money for IU9 !

I am going to put up a separate thread or two with photos from my trip ( took 648 !) so I�ll wave to all and get to work on that...

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

It was so chilly and gloomy this morning, but a clear blue sky appeared in the afternoon and the temperature rose above 54F at last. I have done a good bit of weeding too, but there is more than half of the 10 acres to go.

DS is struck down with stomach woes (in Haiti) for his birthday tomorrow. He predicts lemonade is all he'll dare try. He hopes to get 13-15 hours of sleep, more than the 4-5 he typically gets.

Little Leo was checked by the doctor today and a more intrusive follow up will likely happen next September.

A few late June photos taken today:
    Yes, I love white!
    {{gwi:164731}}

Aljonushka
    {{gwi:164733}}

Maria Cornelia
    {{gwi:164734}}

Odoriba
    {{gwi:164735}}

Blue Rain
    {{gwi:164736}}

Pangbourne Pink
    {{gwi:164737}}

Sweet Dreams!

• gardeningmary
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone

I've been thinking about you all so much the last few days, much of it tinged with sadness. I also realized perhaps I wasn't hearing from people because I haven't posted anything for quite a while.

So just a quick note here to say my not having time for idylling in no way reflects not wanting to get together. I have been ridiculously excited about having people visit and talked about it to friends and family endlessly. My garden, such as it is, is in the best shape it will ever be and our favorite nursery is looking forward to giving a private tour. I've even planned what to cook:0)

If it halps in any way I'm sure we could find beds here for a few, especially those who thought they were coming. Just let me know. I also wondered if emails haven't been getting through in which case perhaps you could try just one more time. The silence is a little overwhelming. Thank you to those who have given a heads up.

Thinking of you all

Mary

• drema_dianne
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! I am sorry I haven't been on GW for so long. I will try to do better. Skip has been gone for almost 4 weeks, and I have had a lot going on around here, with the business, the house, the garden, looking for a job, etc. He will be gone another 6 weeks. I went down to Georgia last weekend to see him, (14 hour drive) and to pick up Devin. I have been working in the garden a lot, and my garden looks pretty good this year. I have been helping the kids a lot. Mary Kate is pregnant and she has been really sick. Throwing up 5 and 6 times a day. She had to go to the hospital once to have an IV because she was dehydrated. There were a few days that I had to go over there to help out because she could barely hold her head up. But the past three days, she hasn't thrown up, so that is good. She is due the day after Christmas.

Bug, your clematis are amazingly gorgeous! Thanks for putting the pictures up. I have 4 of them, and my favorite is Betty Corning. She blooms nonstop all season. I hope all is well with Leo. I see you mentioned he had to go to the doctor, but I can't seem to find an earlier posting.

Julie, glad TCS enjoyed his school year, and sorry to hear about your knife accident.

Kathy, the pictures of your trip are beautiful. What a treat!

Cindy, how exciting that your brother hosted a tour! It's fun to have family who has a common interest.

Woody, looks like you are becoming quite the clematis collector too! I love the picture of the neighbors house on the garden tour :).. Glad you enjoyed it! Your gardens look really nice, and I wanted to tell you that I have been looking for a Bressingham Blue all season with no luck to far :). After seeing yours, it is on my must have list!

Michelle, that penstemon is gorgeous!! I saw a pina colada red at the garden center yesterday, but it looked more like a foxglove. Couldn't find yours.

Mary, sorry if you have been feeling out of the loop. I plan to go to Idyllunion this year, and can't wait to see you! It seems like it will be a smaller group this year, but we will have a lot of fun, of that I am sure!!

I have to go now, and take the dogs out, feed the herd that I now have hanging out in my backyard, and do some laundry.

Hope you all have a nice evening!!

Drema

12 years ago

Mary! You need to drop by more often - I miss your 'voice' on the Idylls...

Drema - I'm surprised you're having trouble finding a Bressingham Blue hosta. I thought they were pretty common. They are slow to take off I found - for the first couple of years in the ground, I was disappointed because I was expecting them to be so much bigger than they were. They didn't really take off until their 4th year.

• drema_dianne
    12 years ago

Woody, thanks for the info, guess I better start looking for a 4 year old:) My hostas are absolutely huge this year. The two hail storms brutalized them early in the season, but they are still looking ok, but a little beat up. My strip tease must be 4 or 5 feet across. I really need to divide, but when it would have been a good time to do it, the weather was horrible. I found one yesterday called Blazing Saddles that was gorgeous, and I finally found a Guardian Angel last year. I would like to get all of the angels, Earth Angel, Guardian Angel, I already have a Blue Angel. It is another huge one. Some are starting to bloom.

D.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great to see you Mary ! IU is always a highlight of my summer-even with all the travel I have coming up. I�m going to Chicago and Boston just a couple weeks after IU, and then probably Spokane a few weeks later.

Marie , I have a new appreciation for your Clems after visiting Peggys garden, and the Rogerson Collection. Sure wish Chalk Hill hadn�t gone belly-up.

We are zooming up to the mid-90�s over the holiday. I have no plans this year so I�m going to try and get the house in order and finish mulching

Waves, more laundry to address tonight..

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

I have a few minutes to post while I wait for a phone call to see what time I need to leave for work. Yesterday the server for the computer system lost it's hard drive. We are dead in the water without computers. A new HD was sent yesterday and I may need to meet up with the UPS guy and get it. Otherwise he doesn't get to our office until late afternoon.

Mary, I would love to make the IU but it just gets too expensive w/ flying/meals and motel for a weekend. Someday I hope to make another one. It sounds like a small group but I'm sure it will be a blast. We totally understand if you don't have time to regularly post. Heck I have a hard time and I don't have kids at home.

'bug, you have such lovley and unusual clematis.

Here the clematis are just starting along with the asiatic lilies. With my 5 day weekend I got lots done. The sedums are actually all trimmed back which almost never gets done and then I always regret it in the fall. I gots lots of mulching done as well.

Woody, I like your gallery wall. I have 3 garden prints above my sofa and I get more compliments on them than anything else I have hanging up in my house.

Kathy, I've really enjoyed your pictures from your trip. There is something very calming about all green.

Have a great day. I'm sure mine may be a little stressful but then on to a 3 day weekend. I was supposed to leave at noon today but I doubt that will happen.

Michelle

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

It's good to see you post, Mary -- altho I think there are a bunch of folks who have the common problems of too many competing things in their lives these days - that could be part of why IU is a smaller group this year -- I think economics is a problem - I know it was a consideration for me, but I decided the heck with that, IU is as Kathy says the highlight of the year for me -- I'm terribly excited to see the group no matter what the size and we'll have a blast I'm sure. I'm also looking forward to the Buffalo gardens - having a small urban /suburban one myself, I expect to see some ideas and inspirational things. I always come home wanting to rip everything out of my borders and start over, LOL.

Well, stuk at the awfice here tending the "hordes" of workaholics who didn't take today off... hoping they dont expect much 'cause I really am not in the mood to work, LOL, and want to do things at home. It's a perfect garden day -- and here I sit... c'est la vie. Just like moving plants, Drema -- it never seems to be on the same schedule we need 'em to be, right?

I hope you got to take photos of Penny's gardens, Kathy -- I truly wonder what the secret to keeping clems on shrubs is... the rabbits and other wildlife seem to just love them when I put like that. I just noticed my fav Mrs. Rbt. Brydon that I have never had any trouble with and is a trooper for bloom and show, has been mown down either by a family of vermin or I guess it could hav been a lawnmower of the association's but it's never gotten very big this eyar and is a meer stub right now -- me thinks it was 4-footed vermin of some sort. Boo hiss.... Always a challenge of some sort.

-- Cindy