Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

A Visit to Annies

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

So glad you could join me..just hold on to your credit card, really tightly. Really.
{{gwi:164879}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

The display gardens were over the top with color.
{{gwi:164880}}From Annies Annuals June 2009
{{gwi:164881}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

Note the jug of Sluggo in the lower right ! Glad to know I'm not alone...
{{gwi:164884}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

Anyone have one of these ? Eden ? Michelle?
{{gwi:164885}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

This combo has it all
{{gwi:148811}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

A display area with the nursery in the background
{{gwi:164889}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

More Wow's

{{gwi:164892}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

The Awfice
{{gwi:164894}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

Look ! Thats my wagon. It was full when I left..
{{gwi:164896}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

Jeesh, it almost feels good to go in here and give someone money !
{{gwi:164900}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

Time to go..
{{gwi:164901}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

Thanks for coming..now you have to plant all that stuff !

Kathy in Napa

Comments (17)

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, what a colorful place. I don't recognize 1/2 of the plants. It gives me the impression of a kaleidoscope. Thanks for taking me along. For some reason I have the urge to check for their website.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

That is so cool, Kathy -- I can't imagine the fun working at a place like that -- I'd happily turn over the credit there too -- and what an awfice!!!!!!!

Such a cheerful place -- and their website always reads that way too.

Cindy

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Your photos should be in her catalog or online. Her sales would rise just from these. I can't believe how big it is and how well kept. Love the exit sign, very cute. When I saw the washtub, I thought of eden, too.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Mom used to have a wringer washer too...I remember pinching my fingers in it.

Now it's about the second and sixth photos. Name that gorgeous plant!!! And those yellow columbine that I've been searching in vain for too! Oh my, it is a good thing I live too far away.

I think the atmosphere of playfulness is lacking in the nurseries I go to, and consequently in my own gardens too.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

This place looks like fun! I'd have fun filling my wagon, too. You sure are making the most of your week off! I love that we get to go, too.

Whenever I'm googling some cool plant Annie's always comes up.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Wow, wow, and wowza! I agree with all the comments that this place looks like loads of fun! Eden is going to just love the pics. that wringer washer is right up her alley. The color is unbelievable. What fun, what fun.... thanks for taking us along Kathy. Now you'll have to show us where you planted all the new babies.

Deanne

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

A great diversion before I start my cleaning this morning! What a wonderful place. I noticed how clean the aisles were. And I also thought of the great disappointment I felt last Sunday when I started going through my favorite garden center and found that there were very few unusual annuals to be found. Wish I could fill a wagon at Annie's!

V.

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Thanks Kathy! I just knew Annie's would be too cool! So much color! You guys do know me, I used to have one of those wringer washers planted in my garden. It had been my grandma's. I got tired of it though and gave it away. I love the sign! So Kathy what really neat stuff did you get? I know I'd have had to have two wagons:)

Eden

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

I would probably need a train of wagons LOL. Your photos have given me a couple of new ideas. The color is unimaginable. Thanks so much for taking us along Kathy.

Norma

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

So Kathy, is it Angelica stricta purpurea also known as Angelica sylvestris 'Purpurea'??? I grew some from seed several years ago but no longer have it. I don't recall the foliage looking like that though...

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes Bug, that is exactly right. They will only sell one plant per person-it's on allocation ! They were also out of stock yesterday or I would have been very tempted. Instead I took 2 pics !

All who comented about the neatness of the place are right, it was spotless,and the display beds were obviously very well tended.

They are also frost free (I can drive for 15 minutes and be frost free-we have lots of micro-climates in this area) and grow everything from seed in hoop houses. They used to open to public only on a limited basis and this is the first year they are open every day. I'd like to go back in fall and see what the display gardens have going then. I actually took almost 40 pics there, and maybe I will do a slide show with full size images so you can see the flowers better..

Of course Deanne, I have no clue where I'm going to plant half of the stuff !

'bug I took a pic of a colombine with you in mind, I will be sure to include it in the slideshow ! They had many selections for sale.

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

What a gorgeous place! I see it listed online frequently when I am searching for plant info. I think it is a good thing I do not live close to it. :-)

I have a lot of the info on interesting plants Bookmarked.
    :-)

Thank you for the lovely pics.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

The continuing drama of digestive woes has me sidelined again. Thought I'd just poke my head in for a few minutes. I have looked at this thread a couple of times already. Lucky Duck, Kathy, to have such a great place to go shopping. I love that place! I wish I lived close enough. I think I see a lot of very pretty colored California poppies. That Dianthus in the washing machine has some of the largest dianthus blossoms I've seen. Is the tall purple with the dark foliage, Angelica? The pots staged by the door are such a pop of color! What are the large orange flowers, marigold maybe? So, I never heard everything you came home with? Can't wait to see what you've accomplished over your staycation.

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Hard to believe they grow these from seed. I love the Angelica Purpurea...and well, everything... I need to go to Cal.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Nothing like annuals for plenty of color, is there? those little nitrogen junkies sure can put on a show.

I spied that old washing machine in the 3rd. photo and instantly thought of Eden, so I cracked up when I read your comment to her. The color of the building and the neon trim reminded me of Eden, Michelle, AND Sue. I think I'm a bit too staid for that sort of thing. But it sure is fun to see it in play and done so well.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

Wow! That is an awesome looking place. I have been to the website, but have never ordered. I love the look of that Angelica...must write that one down. They have such a wonderful mix of color in the beds! I only wish I knew the names of all of those beauties. Great pics.
    CMK

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks CMK, when I go back in fall I'm going to try to document the plants better- I was in a frenzy of shopping this go-round ! Stand by for the Septemeber addition ..

Kathy in Napa

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz