Idyll #484 The Independence Idyll

chelone
13 years ago

And away we go, kids.

Comments (103)

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow Cindy, I look forward to my Silk Road lilies achieving the height you describe with yours. Thanks so much for posting that photomine are in the 5 ft range this year-their 1st. I bought 3 bulbs but I might get a couple more to increase the clump. How crappy that yours broke this year- hopefully the fun IU memories helped to dull the disappointment-life is full of trade-offs isnt it ? Im also very impressed that you are working on your fall bulb order already ! Im going to order Alliums yet again this fall, and pay attention to placement and planting time.

I found C. Pink Fantasy at Joy creek, but in the description it mentioned peach tones dont want any peach tones at all, looking for a clear pink, and it seems like the photos have always shown a cooler pink tone. Any feedback here ? They have Rooguchi too..yay !

Oh Deanne, I feel your pain, and the IU visitors can concur that a have a truck parked about 3 inches from my property line here. The difference is that our lots are small , and the truck is parked quite legally in a driveway, and they are great neighbors too. I have a plan though, involving concrete removal and a shrub border and I hope I can do it this fall. Im going to get quote this month, and hope the $$ does not interfere with my plans for New England in the fall. This will also be the location of the purple and red border that Im planning.

Denise, Im good with our temps remaining this way for the duration. My garden will sure be under-prepared when the next heat wave comes along. Still have not planted the Annies asclepelis , but I peer at it daily to see if I can detect the promised form.

And wouldnt you know, I opened the local paper yesterday and there was an announcement that the garden of Freeland and Sabrina Tanner will be open next Saturday-very ironic as I tried to get us in there for IU to no avail. 25 bucks, a benefit to support the Napa Valley Museum. Pricey , but if Im allowed to take photos Im going photos will be shared both here and on FB. Its my favorite garden here in Napa and its been a few years since Ive seen it.

Ok, time to start the BBQ , Ive been marinating a pork tenderloin this afternoon , and have a couple ears of picked-today corn too

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    13 years ago

I've downloaded my photos from the camera, but don't have all of them sorted, labeled and uploaded to Flickr. But I had to share this one, taken on our morning walk to the Mendocino Headlands.

{{gwi:165317}}

V.

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Nice shot V !

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

V-ditto Kathy!

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Very beautiful image V.!
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Sit by your air conditioner and try this!

• chelone
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's really hot today. The shop was stifling and I bagged it at about 1 PM. I was very short tempered about little inconveniences and the overall condition of the place. So a good day to call it quits early.

It's coolling down a little bit and I may just wander outdoors to find a cool place and see if the kitties won't come over and hang around with me.

The Hydrangeas were flagging when I got home; they'll perk up later but they looked so sad.

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

Good afternoon all... For all of my Idyll friends who do not 'see' me on Facebook, I am still among the living, but I am not sure why. :-)
    The only flowers that are very attractive, here on our place, are the potted things on our deck. The flower beds are in drastic need of help, and the yard has dried up and no longer needs mowed. I am not mourning the dry yard, because it gives me relief from that job, but the watering of potted plants has to be done. I cannot just let them dry up. Also the hydrangeas and a few other yard plants. Dispite the hooved rodent damage, last fall, we had more blooms on them than usual. I have been spraying around most of the beds with Liguid Fence. It is vile smelling stuff, but apparently deters the deer.
    We see their damage in places that have not been sprayed. I am beyond being able to erect fences this year. My strength has diminished seriously.
    Nolon is even in worse shape. No longer able to do the wood cutting like he did last year. Our son Tim and I are working on getting Propane wall panels put in. I will still want the wood stove. Tim plans on cutting some wood for us also.
    We are down to only one cat now. We lost Tommy to a dreadful sickness last November. So, we only have Trubby.

The snakes are active. We have seen rat snakes, a black racer, and at least one copperhead.
    I got my first crop of chiggers last week! Pretty itchy, but, so far, not as bad as other years. Maybe because my system has changed and they are not affecting me as bad.
    It is thundering in the distance, I pray that we will get a very good soaking.

Marian

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Hi Marian! What a rough year you're having :-( The snakes is the part that makes my skin crawl! I hope things improve for you soon

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

So kind of a faux Monday today-its already Wednesday tomorrow ! The electrical dude came out today worked out well to be lunchtime at the awfice-and my electrical issue is resolved . DD reports that Aiden has graduated to the toddler bed as of last night apparently the crib they were given is convertible somehow..I had to laugh, as DH and I were too cheap to buy toddler beds and our children went from the hand me down crib to the flophouse/opium den style mattress directly on the floor. A very short distance to fall ! So I guess its official that Mr Baby is now Mr Toddler.

Still no access for your link for me bug, maybe I should just register , and then I could always see what you post.

Hi Marian, Ive been enjoying your garden pics over on FBeven the snakes ! Its always interesting to see whats transpiring on your land. Im glad that Tim is able to help you with the wood chores this year, but sorry that Nolon is poorly ((Marian)).

Think Ill wander out and ponder the hell strip for awhile. The plans are formulating !

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    13 years ago

It was too hot to do the dishes, so I rinsed them in ice cold water and stacked them neatly to the side of the sink...because it was too hot to unload the dishwasher, too :)

It was a better evening for our ice cream maker...last night I made the cream anglaise and macerated the strawberries. Apparently the longer you chill both, the better the ability to whip lots of air into the mix. The ice cream is dangerously delicious. I love my old fashioned ice cream maker :)

Marian, it is nice to see a post from you on Idyll. You see, I can't really tell what's going on with each of you on FB...it's fun, but not terribly informative. Sounds like you and Tim have a good plan with the propane and firewood...the best of both worlds. Snakes are a part of living in the south, for sure. I do not miss opening the front door to sunning snakes on the stoop.

I do have a rather large garter snake who lives in my garage. This is the 3rd year that she comes and goes from a crack in the foundation. She suns herself in the area by my workshop (tent). I always talk loudly and look down when I walk through there so that we don't scare each other. We have an understanding.

Nick's been out fixing A/Cs and is just now headed home (he did come home for dinner...but back out right after) aiming for a bowl of strawberry ice cream. I'm gonna greet him and then head to bed with my Keeyla book :)

BTW, Great shot, V! Wish I was there...

Saucy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I played move the hose while DH did dishes. We have not yet turned on the air conditioner this year. I went grocery shopping to cool off. :)

Deanne, I think it was you who asked about Minuet. So far her blooms are very small. I should go check on COTW, but I think they stay small. Do you have Juuli? She just blooms her heart out and is still going strong here.

I think tomorrow is the last day for Sparkle's visit. I haven't taken a single photo yet. Better fix that in the morning!

I have a few photos to share...once the university allows me to post once again. Supposedly they made some upgrade...

Friday DD's family is off to the Yukon for a 3 week trip. I sure am nervous about this, but heck, I guess I did things that frightened my folks too. I'm so glad they make a point of family fun. It sure could be an unhappy household if they weren't so nurturing of each other. That Skyler doesn't know how lucky he is...but that's OK. He's growing and understanding more and more about his situation. That can only help him. Hes starting to realize that there are two sides to any discussion and that his mom isnt always right (despite him desperately wanting to believe she is). As DD says, "He has come to realize over and again that just because you yell louder and accuse doesnt mean that you are right, and it certainly doesnt solve the problem. Further, being right doesnt necessarily mean that you get your way. Tough lessons for an 11 year-old, but hey, thats just what hes going to have to learn to deal with if his Mom keeps putting him in the middle."

Life is tough, but hey, here's some advice from my Sister in law:(Don't look Cyn!)

A real man is a woman's best friend. He will
    never stand her up and never let her down.
    He will reassure her when she feels insecure
    and comfort her after a bad day.
    He will inspire her to do things she never
    thought she could do; to live without fear
    and forget regret. He will enable her to
    express her deepest emotions and give in to
    her most intimate desires. He will make sure
    she always feels as though she's the most
    beautiful woman in the room and will enable
    her to be the most confident, sexy,
    seductive, and invincible...
    No wait... sorry...sorry..
    I'm thinking of wine.
    Never mind.

(Saucy...somehow this is related to the fact that I finished Committed!)
    'bug

PS: Hi Marian! I hope you get your showers soon. So sorry to hear about your well loved kitty's passing. Good to have at least one though! You need one of those 50 foot coil hoses that attach to you sink faucet so that you can water your porch plants more easily. I keep saying I'll get one, but never have. Anyone here use one? What do you think?

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

We got nearly 3" of rain yesterday afternoon. When it started to rain we decided to go out to dinner in the city. I spent the day and part of this evening mulching Kenzies garden. It is extremely humid here so the sweat glands get a good work out. Who needs a sauna? The gutter on my garden shed that feeds my rain tank broke under the snow load last winter. We got it fixed just before the rain.

I received the chandelier for the garden shed today. I spent some time cleaning it and assessing how many crystals are missing. Actually only one but several others are missing the top round crystal.

Interesting that so many of you liked my patio garden. It was my first and I struggled with it for a long time. I wanted a flower garden and finally came to terms with a shade garden and the flowers went elsewhere. I left it go for quite a few years while I started other gardens and now have started to revamp it. Its hard to tell but Ive added some cool plants and have plans to add more. From above its hard to see tiarellas, epimediums, tricyrtis and hellebores.

That is the potager just to the left of the long border and then to the left of the potager is the garden shed.

My daylilies are just starting and I have just a nice number so that the deadheading is not overbearing.

Kathy, I was wondering if you got any germination from the celosia I sent you? As for the clematis Pink Fantasy if you look back at the last Idyll fairly close to the beginning I posted a picture of mine. The color is true to what it is for me. It was just planted last year and I was very pleased with how fast it grew. Just how old is Mr. Toddler by now?

I was thinking I had Silk Road until I saw the height on Cindys. I checked my records and see that mine is orientpet lilium 'Triumphator', which is similar but not as tall. That is amazing Cindy.

Deanne, thanks for the additional Garden Conservancy pictures. I enjoyed them a lot. How awful about your neighbors and all their annoyances. I know the challenges of gardening with less than perfect views, believe me!

Marian, sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time. Im glad Tim is able to help out. Im quite busy with Liquid Fence this year also. It is awful smelling isnt it?

Woody, I have to admit that we were both on the roof. We get on the one story part of the house first and the go up to the second story from there. We do not have a very steep pitch at all.

Denise, thanks for the offer of cuttings but Ill survive without it. The nursery where I got it last year might have a few lurking around yet. It is quite amazing isnt it the things they have done with fireworks. I was the most amazed with the smiley face ones.

Saucy, you are right FB is fun little chit chat, but here you do find out alot more.

I went to my parents for lunch today since Rick was there helping them with their patio. They are adding an edging of pavers to make it larger. My mom was so excited to have a 9" bloom on a pink oriental lily. I guess you are never too old to get into gardening.

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Catching up on Idyll reading is like treading water! You want to start swimming with the flow but need to get updated on the goings on while you were gone. We had a great time at the lake, hot sunny weather without this awful, sweltering humidity were experiencing at home. I detest how it zaps my energy just from going in and out of air conditioning; my body doesnt like making repeated adjustments.

Many thanks for all birthday wishes and cards! What a treat to find my name on beautiful Idyll photography. Need to mention right now though that I cant see your photos, Bug. (Love the Birthy Hapday!) Maybe something with my computer tonight as I also cant get Photobucket to work properly. Hoping your birthday was good, too, Julie and sorry I cant say it with a photo!

DH wanted me to choose a new camera for my birthday but Im undecided. Im a point and shoot girl at heart. Ill happily get in any position for the shot I want but dont enjoy fiddling with settings or attachments. Probably why I appreciate good Idyll photography so much, because you take the time to learn and master it!

Chelone, the bendy straw was a bust! During practice sessions it worked perfectly but at the fire pit the darn thing just made a soft "flubbb" which nobody noticed. I almost hyperventilated trying and at one point, DH asked me why I kept ducking my head. You suppose there was a crack in the straw or something? Finally I tossed itkind of lost the moment.

Wow, Deannehow many BME did you plant for the groundcover effect? Your neighbors make me shudder as I fear that very same type of situation. Our once established neighborhood is slowing changing as residents who lived here for years are aging.

Cindy, I like all the puppy names, too! You may come up with something different right at the last minute, who knows?! Thats part of the fun and excitement, isnt it?pet names are so important.

Love those roof shots, Michelle! Fantastic to see the gardens and the horizon from that angle. Youre obviously not bothered by heights, lol.

Marian, HI!so glad to hear from you since Im not on FB. Hope to see some photos of what youre growing on the deck! Yikes,snakes?! You dont sound upset so Im guessing this isnt a rare sighting?

Thats about it for me tonightway, way tired. I cant wait to get back into our own bed.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Looking forward to Friday with highs of 75 and nights at 60! In the meantime, in the 90s today and tomorrow and 74 overnight.

Sorry about the photo problems everyone and I hope the university gets things moving again soon!

By 6am this morning both sprinklers were already at work. Sigh.

I think today I should go to the air conditioned mall and buy some lightweight t-shirts. I've been enjoying the cold lunches and dinners though and all the fresh fruit.

I too have TALL lilies about to open. I had to tie them up to keep them from breaking. Mine are Orienpets called American Spirit. They said 4-6 feet, but they are taller than DH who is about 5'11". Their first year they were more like 4 feet tall. My Blue Paradise phlox grows near them. It is so strange how the color varies on these, but they are THE BEST. I have others on my plant ghetto bench...all of them white with mildew. :(

I too think the roof shots by Rick and Randy are great! I refuse to climb the roof, but may try for an upstairs window shot some time soon. Of course V's latest photo is moody and gorgeous as well!

Here comes the sun over the barn now, so things will heat up fast. Time to close the shades. Sorry kitties!
    'bug

13 years ago

gb - can't believe you've not turned on the AC yet! 5 clematis from Gardenimport arrived this morning. Bad week for shipping plants, but they all arrived in good shape. Whether I can keep them in good shape in this heat is another question....!

Michelle - 3"!! We desperately need some rain; it's a bit surprising that all this heat and humidity hasn't generated any. We haven't been watering anything except pots yet but we'll have to soon water some of the front garden if we don't get some rain.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

'bug, laughed at loud at the 'advice column'-really very funny...and very true ;) Now, if I could just find a place to hide MY bottle-teehee. (btw, DH is doing great-I think the fact that he goes to meetings every day and hears that he is the only one in control of his recovery is a big part of it). Hope the family has a grand time in the Yukon. Once he is grown, Skyler will understand how lucky he has been! I think kids are meant to be oblivious to that-isn't that one of the joys of childhood-being a little self-centered?

I turn our ac off during the day until it gets unbearable. Then, I cool it down a bit and at night set the thermostat down to around 69. The house stays amazingly comfortable most of the day. Of course, DH and the dogs would like it kept at a low temp all the time, but I am too cheap to do so since I pay all the utilities.

We, too, are in desperate need of rain, Woody. The water bill will be appalling, I'm sure. I don't mind myself wilting in the heat, but would hate to lose too many plants. A couple of azaleas and a young holly may not make it despite my moving the hose all around during the week.

Marian, I am so sorry life is not easier for you these days. Sons are wonderful, though, aren't they?! I could use a couple of your snakes-not the copperheads, though! We are overrun with chipmunks this year and I am so tired of the galloping gardeners digging the gardens up to get them. Very irritating, especially since I don't think they are successful in their quest. Wish there was a humane was to get rid of them. I have used mothballs in the past, but don't dare to put those in the back yard. My idiots would probably eat them!

I also may invest in some of that Liquid Fence. Deer sightings around here have increased tenfold. Too much building across the road at the Episcopal Seminary which used to have lots of woods and now has lots of houses. So far, have only seen them in our yard once and that was before the arrival of the pups. I really wouldn't mind fencing in the entire yard, but doubt the City Council would approve that. The theme to 'Green Acres' springs to mind every time I dream of moving away to the country-not that Eva Gabor and I have anything in common!

Candy, the lake vacation sounds marvelous! It is never easy to return from a break like that. I also giggled aloud at your bendy straw fiasco-so frustrating, but very funny to picture you in the attempt!

Michelle, can't wait to see pics of the chandelier in place. I'll bet it looks wonderful and magazine-worthy in the shed! I think the reason everyone was so taken with the patio garden is the thought of sitting on one of the benches for a SALAT. At least, I found myself imaging that.

Chelone, hope cooler temps have arrived for you. It is horrifying to me that all you northerners are suffering through so much heat. I expect it around here, but hold tight to the thought that there is relief to be found elsewhere. That sound you hear is my illusions shattering!

Saucy, nothing better than homemade ice cream. My favorite part was always pulling out the churners (can't think of the right word) and being the first to taste by licking off the ice cream. Yum. Truly a summer pleasure.

Kathy, isn't is nice when problem-solving goes smoothly (electrician)? Glad it is all fixed.

Cindy, when is the new pup arriving?

Going to check on today's stage of the Tour de France. It is splendid to have so many diversions to keep me from doing that which REALLY needs doing.

Later all.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Name dropping (sort of) here. (Don't laugh!)

The guy who sold us my son's first bike, an orange Peugot, has a 34 year old son who is in the Tour de France now. That's as close as I can come to hobnobbing with the famous. Pathetic.

Went out, found an outfit to buy for the "Stag & Doe" party we are invited to. (Is that a local thing or does anyone else have these silly events?) Anyway, found a nice dress, jacket and necklace...and then went off to a different store and never went back. Just could not see spending $250 for an outfit for a Mennonite pre-wedding celebration. These are basically money collecting events for the "kids", the couple. I think they'll have to accept that I'm not one of their crowd and I wear pants and a top, not flowered dresses.(from my class reunion last month)

Better make the helpless one some lunch now - Icy cold curried cream of chicken soup I think.

Later,
    'bug

• saucydog
    13 years ago

And now I know someone who bought a bike from a Tour de France participant's father :)

Chelone, look for an email from me...yesterday's date.

Watering is a full time job here and tomorrow is the first Farmer's Market of the year. I'm already tired just thinking about how hot it will be. We're going to try to pack and prepare early in the morning, then shower, then sell, sell, sell :)

No break from the heat here until Saturday evening.

Saucy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

'bug, who is it? I would be glad to cheer for him!

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Michael Berry, from Toronto

I sent some photos to Woody to share if she has time or inclination. Not possible for me to post anything here. :(

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

Bummer! I had a post almost ready to go this morning, with pictures and info, and hit something wrong. Poof ! I will try it again.

It is so hard posting from PT. But here goes:

{{gwi:165318}}

My only veggie....a Sweet 100 tomato:

{{gwi:165319}}

A couple of nice plants:

{{gwi:165320}}

And my very large combo, in a 40 gallon feed tub:

{{gwi:165321}}

The salvias are not too floriferous right now....

Saucy, I agree about Facebook. I do add comments frequently but it does not seem that very many of my friends see them. I get more comments from Eden (Laura) than most of my other friends there.

Marie, we got a fairly decent shower after my first post yesterday. Got at least 1/2 inch. More is in the forecast. 2 inches would be great. And the temps are very nice....lower than average for the time of year.
    I do all my watering either from the farm pond, or the rain barrels. I don't like to use community water on them.
    I have a longhandled spray nozzle for the hose.

Candy, snakes are just part of living here.....like Saucy said. I actually like the nonpoisonous ones, and respect the others. I am not too intimidated by them.

Cyn, we have no gophers....yet, but the moles worked the yard over this spring. We have not see a chipmunk this year, but have plenty of squirrels and rabbits.
    Our cousin's wife has a recipe for deer repellent that contains the same ingredients as Liquid Fence. I don't want to mess with making it. It is sort of messy to make. I think one container will do me all that I need for one year. Everyone suggests that we get a dog, but we have no desire to do so. Besides, the 2 neighbor's Great Pyrenees patrol our place daily, and we still have deer.
    Both town and country living have their good points and their bad. I have decided I prefer to put up with the slithering snakes over the 2 legged kind. :-)

Candy, I appeciate your encouragement to make a fairy garden, but I am not as creative as Eden. I do incorporate rocks and small critters in some of my pots already, both indoors and out.

Okay, I am going to post this before I lose it....I hope.

Marian

• jak1
    13 years ago

ARGGGHHHH!Just lost my whole post!! I am too whacked out by the heat to do it again - the gist of it was, thanks for the bday wishes, we had a great trip to the East Coast, the Idyllunion looked great, blistering heat wave, yada, yada, yada.....tomorrow!

Cheers,

Julie

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Im glad Im the one who is not having a heat wave for a change, and in fact I could live with our 2010 summer temps forever- its been great .Those that are growing tomatoes and melons are probably not happy though.

The interest for IU8 at Garden Walk Buffalo continues to build and I think this will end up as the destination, unless the reviews from this years are bad- Its nice to be able to set the dates so far in advance. Im already looking into possible flights , lol !

Marian, love to see you posting photos here . Your deck looks fabu as always, and that 40 gallon number must be the most gigantic Idyll container this year ! I dont see your elephant ears though ? Did it bite the dust ?

Michelle, funny you should ask that; the first sowing was zero, but I think I planted too early. I did some in 6-paks under lights but just like my last years experience they seem to germinate and then just sulk. Last weekend I direct sowed another batch of your seeds, even though its late. At least it will give a clue as to what type of soil temps/air temps are required for germination. I dont think they like t be transplanted .

We await further news from Julie !

Nite all

Kathy in Napa

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting those photos of your deck, Marian! You must have just the right amount of sun and shade in that area to grow such a variety of plants or you have the touch. Is that a pentas paired up with the colorful coleus? And I think I see another good size coleus in the huge poteverything looks happy and thriving! Am curious about that particular variety of tomato plant. I have only one in a large container also and its some type of bigger cherry tomato. Have you heard anything about the Arkansas tomato crop this year? We look forward to them when they arrive in the grocery store but so far, none have come in.

My gardens are not happy with 6 days of 90 degree temps. Things suffered while we were gone without receiving rain or watering. I should have put down more mulch, there are skimpy spots with cracks in the soil. Even if we get the rain predicted for tomorrow I doubt it will be sufficient and Ill need to keep watering before adding more mulch. My eye has turned critical on a few combinations that I thought would look greatand dont. Already formulating plans of what to change. The light conditions are a big factor for me. Morning shade, early afternoon sun before the pin oak came down, however, now theres no morning shade and not enough sun to qualify as all day. I think I could make shuffling plants my lifes work without buying anymore!

Michelle, I cant wait to see your chandeliermore shed pictures, too That is going to look so cool and I know youll have added some other neat stuff also! Did you actually take the photos up on the roof or did Rick?I wasnt clear on that. The patio garden shot looks perilously close to the edgeyikes.

Hope youre just chillin Chelone and didnt have another repeat of yesterday at work. Just so you knowthinking about you.

Night everyonemay all your ACs be running smoothly.

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning one and all,

Well we are bracing for another 90 plus day here. I thought it funny yesterday when I went outside at noon or so and thought to myself that it was pretty cool compared to the previous day and when it went it realized that it was 91 outside. I guess 91 is much cooler than 104. Te he.. As Sue mentioned over on FB, the good news about the hot summer temps is that the local produce is going to be great. The corn is really looking good this year and Ill bet the tomatoes are going to be early and great as well. On the home front the coleus are getting huge and beautiful. The big banana is getting bigger and very beautiful, in fact all the tropicals are looking great.

Chelone, the hydrangeas here are not one bit happy with this weather either. Even if I water they still wilt. Oh well the lilies are absolutely gorgeous at the moment.

Kathy, do you have any before pics of your Hell Strip? Curious minds would like to see what youre dealing with.

Saucy, that home made ice cream sounds fabulous! Ive not had any for a very long time. So who does all the cranking?

Bug, Im going to have to look for that Minuet. Do you remember the small flowered variety that was a blooming fool that David B. had in his garden in MI? Minuet reminded me of that one. ~~~ Wish I had you here to fix me some of those chilled soups you are making.

Michelle, lucky you for getting all that rain. We REALLY could use some here. ~~ Id love to wander the paths in your patio garden and see all the gems you have tucked in there. ~~ So glad you liked the conservancy tour pics.

Candy, I think Ive planted six pots of BME over the last three years in that spot. ~~ bummer about the straw failure. Ive found if ones armpits arent damp enough one doesnt get a satisfying rumble.

Cyn, so happy to hear your DH is doing great. Thats fantastic.

Marian, love the plant display on your deck! Beautiful!

Julie, bummer about your post, I hate it when that happens.

OK Ive got to go out and start dragging the hoses around, have a great day everyone.

Deanne

My Tarragona lilies are opening early and soooo beautiful! My favorite lily here.
    {{gwi:165322}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I'm not a happy camper in this heatwave...but what's new...

Just came in from watering some clematis, but I've given up on the rest of things. The sprinkler attachment is off and I'm using the "direct method" with no nozzle in a few areas and on containers. Hoping for thunderstorms tomorrow. This morning the internet was down...so things were pretty bleak. What's left but doing laundry and dishes? Blargh.

Deanne, I think you are referring to TxR:
    http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=540
    David had it paired with Hagley's Hybrid and it was super lovely. I've tried to grow that one about 6 different times and failed. Others succeed, but never me! I do fine with Minuet though!

I've submitted out of necessity: the air conditioner is on!
    I'll try to return later with a better outlook.

bug

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

Julie, I empathize with you.

Kathy, I no longer save my Elephant Ears over winter. The only one I have this year is in the tub beside the Henryii Clematis trellis, out front. It is very disappointing. So small. I added a lot of fresh potting soil, so I think it is just the bulb.

Candy, The deck faces northeast, and gets all of the morning sun.The only shading is from the Bladdernut beside the house, and the Honey locust to the southeast. The locust shade is later in the day. That will change in a few years, when the Catalpa that I planted in the bed out there gets tall. By then I will have most likely cut down a lot more on the plantings.
    Yes , that is a Penta. I like them, and sort of wish I had got a red one also. The plant on it's left is an EE relative, (a colocasia?). I call it the Skeleton Plant because of it's lines. LOL. I do bring it in, and it took forever to start this year.
    There are two coleus in the big tub. The other is barely visible in that pic. It is a chartreuse one, and visible in the deck pic. There is also a Scabiosa on the chartreuse coleus side. I bought it at Farmer's Market, and it was not in bloom yet. It has white blooms....not very showy, but I like it's airiness. I espacialy like the Sweet 100 tomato. As it's name inplies, it is sweet, and very productive. I bought local tomatoes at the Farmer's Market Tuesday. They look very nice, and I think there is a good crop.
    Thankfully some of my beds have more mulch than they normally get from me. I dumped most of last year's used potting soil in them.

Deanne, thank you....but I know none of my stuff can hold a candle to what you grow. But it pretty much pleases me. Not very many see it other than us. I lost the lovely orange coleus you sent me. It wintered over other winters, but didn't make through last winter. Sedonia ?

I feel for all that are suffering the torrid heat in the Northeast. I don't think Nolon and I would survive that type of heat without AC. And we no longer have a One Stop that we could hang out in. Oh well, we will burn that bridge if it we get to it!

Marian

P.S. It is showering right now.

• deanneart
    13 years ago

{{gwi:165324}}

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

{{gwi:165326}}

13 years ago

{{gwi:165327}}

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday Eden

{{gwi:165328}}

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Well, we did not get any of the 80% chance of rain although it was grey several times to the north. I watered various garden areas but its just not the same as rain. Did some weeding, toounbelievable how they sprout and grow when we were only gone 4 days. I found a hole in the soil with some kind of reddish orange ants that were much larger than what Ive ever seen. Going to have to research that, they were fast over my feet and up my leg which creeped me out.

My solution for dinner tonight is tuna salad with crackers and fruit. DH is basically meat and potatoes despite the temperature so hell most likely grill a pork chop and Ill contribute by making the baked potato and salad. Saucys ice cream would sure hit the spot for dessert! Tomorrow is going to be deli chicken, can you tell I dislike cooking in this heat wave?

Bug Ive only tried cold soup a couple of times but it would be light and refreshing in hot weather. I can imagine your uneasiness about the Yukon camping DD and her family are doing. And that was before I remembered shes just come off bedrestooosh! I hope you perked up a bit with the AC turned on, if youre physically comfortable it should help relieve your motherly nerves as I call them.

Deanne, those Tarragona lilies are gorgeous with the creamy color and soft buttery streaks!

Marian, looking forward to more of your pix! Have to askis a "one stop" like a shopping center?

I just started Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger and have become totally immersed in this unusual ghost story! Its quite a page turner and Im fascinated with Highgate Cemetary as a result. When I finish the book I intend to visit their website and explore it further but, so far, shes tying in the history very well from her experience as a guide. And Cindy, theres a path off the apartment garden that leads to a green wooden door (locked, of course) in the wall of the cemetery. Cant you just picture it?

OK, must runEden, hope you had a wonderful birthday! Waving to Cyn, Kathy, Chelone, Woody, Michelle, everyone I missed. And Norma, my fingers are crossed Niki is doing alright.
    {{gwi:165329}}

Oh, almost forgot! I pulled out several of these while weeding todaythe leaves remind me of a redbud or is it just a tenacious weedy vine? You get my purplish blue 4th of July toenails by default, lol.
    {{gwi:165330}}

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Hola my friends, Ive been WALATing this evening in our continued mild temperatures, no complaints about weather here ! I expect our days of 100 degrees will come eventually.

Im trying to map out my vaca time from now through November- so much stuff Id like to do ! The biggest chunk of time is my fall visit to NE , and the time itself is not the issue-I have to make sure I can stay in budget and still be able to do a couple of small road trips in August and Septin particular I want to go back out to the coast and I need to get up to Oregon I am determined to visit Joy Creek. Think I have the dates worked out for all, now I need to verify my PTO available and Im ready to carve it all in stone.

Oooo-ee Deanne, I sure wont forget the sight of those Tarragona lilies in full bloom in your garden IU 6.. I took some really crappy pics , so your good ones are appreciated !

Nice combo there Candy with the toe shot ! I have to tell you that a few years ago I asked Marian to post some photos of the One Stop, as it was mentioned frequently here .She kindly obliged with both indoor and outdoor pics, and as I recall one even included Nolon in a booth enjoying his coffee.I like seeing Idylls in their ordinary day in/day out surroundings so I can envision when reading posts.

And last but not least {{gwi:165331}}From Garden 2010 Spring

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Good morning Idylls! Happy Birthday, Eden, even though I know it was yesterday, thought I'd tell you again :)
    Yesterday was beastly. It was disgustingly humid and working at the Farmer's Market was painful :) I hope we have better weather next week. Very few people bought plants and I'm guessing that is because they loathed the thought of digging a hole in this weather, lol!

What a fun itinerary you have laid out for the rest of the year, Kathy!

I don't know what you've pulled out there, Candy, but I enjoyed the toes :) My husband does the same thing yours does about dinner. I'm not sure why my cold fixes aren't enough...and as long as he's making his own, I don't really need to know, I guess. I grilled a bunch of chicken earlier in the week and have made lots of cold dishes from it.

I confess that my ice cream maker has an electric choice or a hand crank choice...you can guess which one I used, Deanne :) Your lilies tempt me every time....they're gorgeous.

GB, it's not hard to be cranky in this weather. It's hard to get one's chores done with a smile on a good day (at least for me).

I am still reading Committed, but I fall asleep after a page. It will likely take me a while as my days are full and sleep is needed badly. At least it's an easy read. I'd read during the day, but then my eyes become blurry and it's hard to do anything else. So annoying!

Okay...I guess I'd better get at it while it's cool this morning. There is lots of watering to be done since I wasn't here yesterday!

Saucy

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Good morning all -- a check in here from Calcutta USA.... I wont go into details other than to say the metro commuting this week has made me think that's where I must be living.... truly horrific and enervating (to say nothing of a bit scary)....

Paybacks are h*ll for fun vacations and I'm having my payback extracted painfully daily -- still trying to retain a bit of vacation glow however.

Love all the photos - truly magnificient lilies, Deanne!!! And Candy what a great photo of a cool looking petunia and wowzer toenails....

Havent had any time to do anything other than commute, water after dark and repeat this week.... hope to catch up here and on re-adjusting to reality and the climate this weekend, LOL.

Durn, I see I missed a birthday! I hope it was a great one, Eden:

{{gwi:165332}}

-Cindy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Well things are looking up! Although it is pea soup weather with high humidity, we have had a few showers. It all began with a lot of lightning and no rain...but finally around 6am the skies opened up. The highs for today are expected to reach the mid seventies. I'll take it!

Still not possible to post photos. For a computer science department, I'd find that embarrassing, but they just carry on....GRRR.

Eden, you'll just need your great imagination for my card this time! Maybe I'll be able to send you one by private mail. :)

Yesterday I wound a skein of yarn into a ball to knit a scarf. It is the finest cashmere, rather like sewing thread in thickness! I practiced the pattern a little so now I think it should all work out well. Maybe I'll work on that a bit today.

Tomorrow friends from a web forum are coming to visit. Should be interesting considering we'll have showers all day today. No way am I going to be able to weed, mow, edge, etc....and the flowers are all sopping wet and hanging limply. Hmmmm. Hope they understand!

Off to start the day!
    'bug

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EDEN!!!! No pics 'cause this is a computer from school that wasn't originally mine-they gave me a new one which immediately didn't work, so this is a loaner without my Picasa stuff on it. Sorry.

Cindy, love the roof shot. Where is it? Too hot for it right now if it is near here!

'bug, I am sure your garden will look splendid-no worries from what we've seen!

Pretty heuchera, Kathy.

Candy, what an amazing petunia! Absolutely beautiful. Toes ain't bad, either! :)

Marian, your deck is so lovely. Puts mine to shame. Also, I always love everyone's bird and butterfly shots. The one you posted is fantastic. I need to start hanging my camera around my neck or something when I am out. We have had goldfinches perching on the echinacea lately.

Looks like Michelle and Deanne coordinated their colors amnd then to scroll down and see Woody's pink and Marian's -wow. They would all look great together in a garden.

Time to move the hose. Where oh where is the rain???

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

Candy the One Stop was a roadside store out here in the country, where you could get gasoline, and snacks, as well as gifts, and even a home cooked meal ....breakfast, pizza, hamburgers and the like. We would stop there on our way home from church and eat our lunch every Sunday. We sure miss it.

Re : reading, I have been doing a lot of that lately. I have stacks of the old Reader's Digest condensed books. Haven't read any of them for years, so most are like reading new stories. Some are autobiographies, and other non fiction.
    I believe your weed is a wild species of the morningglory family. Most of them are pretty invasive.

Good memory Kathy. You are right, that was Nolon in a booth at the Compton One Stop.

LOL, Cyn, My deck is just a hodge podge of plants. Most are those that I overwintered in the house.There are more lined up in front of our house. That is where the Caladiums are this year. Not nearly as many as last year. I wouldn't mind having a bigger variety of coleus. There is one similar to the one in the pic by the Penta, It is more of a yelowish, and is sharing the tomato pot. I am afraid it is pretty much lost behind the tomato. I had several red petunias in the EE tub by the Henryii Clem last year. They reseeded and there are even more red ones there this year. I am not too diligent with my deheading for that very reason. I like it whan plants that I like reseed. My Impatience do that a lot.

We have accumulated around one inch of rain, all together, in the past 3 days of showers. They are the good soaking type, with no wind, and only a rare thunderclap....mostly some distance from our place.
    It will not be long until I will have to mow again. I had at least a 3 week reprieve. :-)

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Last night we said goodbye to my son and his girlfriend. Fort Worth, TX is to be their new home. He will be working in the racing business, so for him its a dream job. I can't help but be happy about that.

I need to continue getting the garden presentable. We are having a garden outing on Tuesday for my Bible study group. 17-20 women will tour another garden along with mine. The other garden has a shop also. Then there will be a catered meal at my home. So at least the food part will be easy.

Things are looking pretty good, far from the perfection Deanne achieved with her garden tour though.

Marian, you have a pretty impressive pot collection. The big one is fabulous!

Candy, I'm not a petunia lover, but that one is very pretty.

Cindy, how awful that the commute is sucking the best part of your days. What a fun picture!

Kathy, I like your idea of seeing what the Idylls daily lives look like. Maybe pictures of our awffices LOL
    As for the seeds, they may have been from the year before last. They have self sown for me in the past but I don't see any this year. I just found 3 on clearance the other day, so I'll try to save you some fresh seed this year. So cold stratification works for them and maybe is required?

Michelle

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

A pic of the big container from the other side;

{{gwi:165333}}

13 years ago

Impressive deck and large container Marian!

We got some much-needed rain today. A nice, steady soaking-in sort of rain. 1.6" worth. It also cooled down a bit so Randy and I did a fast dead-heading and pruning of the front garden to tidy up the stuff in worst shape. It's supposed to go back to hot, humid and no rain again for the next 5 days at least. I'm really getting sick of this weather! We have so much stuff to do re the rose removal and replacement planting but haven't been able to even start it.

I'm happy so far with the changes we've been making to the herb bed - the west end of the herb bed along the south side of the driveway will gradually become a peachy-orange-red bed over the next few years.
    {{gwi:165334}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I could have written the same thing Woody, except you didn't mention how the ornamental grasses have been knocked down nor the mosquitoes that devour us! I spent an hour or so, from 8-9, doing a really basic weed of the worst spots, preparing for the folks who come tomorrow. I could spend 5 DAYS weeding and still not finish. But I did mow and that makes things look better. Wish I could share a few things that surprised me... The heatwave has late summer things blooming! (Acanthus, sumac, Ligularia, echinacea, yarrow, Astilbe and so on) My Vitex and Buddleia are taller than they've ever been in July - but so are the weeds.

I think the nights will be cooler next week, but the humidity and heat will return in the daytime.

DS may come for a week in July which would be great! I'm going to miss hearing from my DD's family while they are gone for 3 long weeks. Michelle, when you say your son will be involved in racing, does that mean cars? Horses? Running? Other?

I hear a cardinal out there now! At 9:30PM? Strange. The frogs are making their noises too.

Chirp!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Hola Idylls, I am WALATing tonight in very pleasant conditions indeed, and making some plans to avoid frittering away the entire weekend Im going to head out and water down the Hell Strip shortly so that it will be dig-able tomorrow. I had planned to visit Freeland Tanners garden tomorrow but the tour is fulldisappointing ! Had I known it was limited I would have called sooner. Oh well.

Wow Marian, that is a huge container ! You must be really happy with how it turned out .. the back side looks like a whole different arrangement.

bug and Woody, I wonder are these temps usual at all for you ? Im interested in what the Idylls might expect for the Garden Walk Buffalo next year..I looked at some average temp info and it looked like 80 ish was the norm.

Cyn, not to steal Cindys thunder, but that is Keeyla Meadows studio roof, taken from the 2nd floor balcony of her house. How gracious she was to let us roam around at will , even snapping pics of her bathroom ! I am going to her GC open days in a couple weeks and hope to have more photos to share.

All for now, see yall tomorrow.

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

The mossies are thick here these days too. I quickly worked on more mulching in Kenzie's garden while there was a decent breeze. At least 5000 ash seedlings have been smothered by cardboard and mulch. The conditions must have just right this year for a bumper crop to germinate. I've never had a fraction of what I have this year.

Marian, I like the color of the container as well as how it is planted.

Kathy, be sure to take "before" pictures.

My son is a mechanic, so works in the car industry. He is good at what he does and has been traveling to work on cars. He has been in DC a couple of times lately as well as Atlanta. I guess out travel out of the country is possible in the future. Far be it from me to understand all this.

Michelle

• jak1
    13 years ago

Happy Saturday!

At last, a reprieve from the 100F heat that plagued us all week. Everyone in my house is still sleeping, revelling in the fresh cool air. I on the other hand, am heading out to dig another section of the new daylily bed along the spite fence. I have not been able to get anything done there due to the heat, and I want the whole thing completed by September. If I haven't got it finished, I will actually pay to have the rest done. My promise to myself!

It is clear to see that summer is an extremely busy time for the Idylls! All the gardens, travel, company coming, beautiful garden tours and planters.....this is the first "place" that I come to every morning, and I am never disappointed!

Happy birthdays too to all that I may have missed.

Nice to have you back, Marion! Large planters and raised beds are a great way to garden - fewer weeds!

I hope someone has heard from Mary.

Kathy you are really taking advantage of summer - so many interesting places to go!

Michelle, it is hard to see the kids fly off somewhere, even if it is to follow their drems.

Bug, I am sure the farm looks great, as always!

How are all the chickens? I really like the green roof idea V!

Woody, you are such an enabler *LOL* My Wild Horses daylily is open this morning - I now have about ten different ones for the spite bed fence. You are sure right about it being too hot to do major garden renos. Love the shed colours btw.

I have been moaning about wanting a Saucy leaf for a couple of weeks. The result is a promise from DH to help me clean out the shed for a work space so I can try my hand at making one. Wasn't exactly what I had in mind *LOL*

Notice no comments about the Juliejobs or the EAT program....September I guess!

Lots more to say as usual, but I want to get digging before the heat!

Cheers, all!

Julie

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Morning all!

Well, we have rain, too, but it hasn't cooled anything off. Not complaining mind you, just thinking that Cindy's comment about Calcutta was prescient. It surely feels like what I would expect from there.

We are heading down to the Chesapeake Bay for the day-rain or not. I do hope it is nicer there, so we get to do some kayaking or something fun.

Michelle, my son is a car fanatic. He is restoring an old BMW 2002. Racing would be his dream job, too!

Julie, too funny about the Saucy leaf. Let us know how it turns out :)

Waving to all. Off to clean the bathroom before we go-wouldn't want our teenaged dogsitter thinking I actually live like that. HA.

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Still no rain but, its a beautiful cool morning without humidity for the first time in days. And wouldnt you know I have obligations kicking myself for the bad timing! Im about to hurry outside and get a bit of weeding and deadheading done while time allows. Need to check the forecast for the next week before making promises as I did for today. Just thought Id grab a minute to skid in here over home plate before this Idyll closes out.

Marian, thanks for the input on that weedy thing! Im finding them pushing up in quite a few places and they are tough as wirey vines. Have you found them around your place? I can see a resemblance t in the leaf shape now that you mentioned a wild morning glory species. That coleus looks enormous, enjoyed the view from the other side of the container. What a shame your One Stop closed! DH and I love finding that type of restaurant on a road trip. Sadly they are disappearing fast from the countryside instead of changing ownership. Ill have to go back and see if your album link is still somewhere and try to find the photos. Thought I went through it all last wintercant believe I dont remember them!

Michelle, even if FW is quite a distance it sounds like your son doesnt mind travel. Sometimes the farther kids live from home the more they try to get back to visit. How nice hes doing what he loves!

Kathy, yesyou must document this hell strip will photos. Then we can fully appreciate what youre dealing with and see the transformation take place.

Enjoy the garden with your friends, bughope its a gorgeous day for the tour tomorrow.

How do you like Wild Horses, Julie? I had a pot of them in my hand this spring at a nursery and then decided to assess my existing daylilies before purchasing anymore.

Time to goenjoy your weekend, everyone!

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

Candy, I deleted several of my albums and pics in PT . I am afraid the pics of the One Stop were among them. If I should come across them in my pictures, I will repost them. Our One Stop went bankrupt. A sad situation, since the one buying it was a local woman. Her family owned the little community store. It is no longer a store. Our closest community is becoming a ghost town! Only the post office is left, and there is talk of it closing.

Marian

• Lara Noles
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the amazing birthday cards. Each one is so interesting and unique, just like each of you! It's turning out to be a busy weekend after a quiet week. Bella was away on vacation but returned Thursday and things have been in full swing since. She's waiting for me to play a game as I hastily type this but I didn't want any more time to go by before I thanked you all! Oh, and Marie thank you for taking the time to send me such a special birthday email. That was especially appreciated! Hope you all had a wonderful day in your gardens today!

Laura

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!