Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idyll #390 - Meetings and Greetings

Posted by deanneart z5Southern NH (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 6:40

So today many of us hit the road and get to meet and greet old friends and new! What fun. We'll keep all our friends here, who will be with us in spirit, up to date on all our activities.

Now without further ado

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll #390 - Meetings and Greetings

o
It's Happening!

It is going to be such a happy time for those gathering together. I can hear the excitement and chatter from here!

Thoughts going out to Martie. I hope her day is satisfactory...even boring, and that everything goes even better than planned!

PM, No, "le sigh" began with a very creative Idyller named "Da". She was learning to garden at her husband's family's home and created a very wonderful space filled with trellises and blooms. She came to the first IU and met up with many of us. She is also a talented crochet person...making skirts and sweaters...that are truly amazing. I think her main interest is in role playing games and writing on the web. Long absent, but not forgotten!

Once again I am into annoyance with a sprinkler that refuses to rotate. DH spent over an hour fiddling with it last night without success. GRRR. I NEED it desperately with dry dry areas. They do say thunderstorms are a possibility, but I can't count on them...They are a figment of the weatherman's imagination much of the time.

I will be thinking of the Meeters and Greeters over the entire weekend. I'd just love to meet up with those I've only met "virtually". I hope photos will put faces to many of them for me. :)

o

Yea, V and Kathy have their boarding passes. Doug and I are finishing up our watering and packing here getting ready to hit the road.

Sorry to hear that PM and Michelle are under the weather. Hope you are well soon. Michelle, what a bummer that you were sick on your birthday! Youll have to celebrate when you feel better.

Hope Martie is doing well.

Leslie, lovely photos! That impatiens and caladium is so pretty.

Eden, so great to hear from you again!

V. the path is wonderful!

Here are a few pics from yesterday

Jerri and Deanne having a ball at the Fuller Rose Gardens

Every single one of these rose bushes was pristine. We didnt see a single passed flower on one bush. The level of care was amazing.

Thats Jerri examining a Glowing Peace rose in the afternoon light.

We thought of Denise when we sauntered into the conservatory and saw this lovely bench of succulents.

When we were sitting on the steps at the fountain you could see right through the hedge to the ocean. Lovely!

Check out the photo gallery for more pics from the gardens.
OK time to pack

Deanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuller Rose Gardens

o

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

Jerri gets a tropical Birthday Greeting:

Happy Birthday Jerri!

o
RE: Idyll #390 - Meetings and Greetings - part deux

How fun! The rose garden looks spectacular! Nice to see you two together :)

PM, I'm sorry we won't get to meet in person...yet! Lets plan a lunch of some sorts for sometime in the future. Maybe we could hit a nursery or a garden for fun. I hope you feel better.

You, too, Michelle. I laughed at Kenzie's remark....

I've gotta get these kids off to "camp" and then finish packing. My yard/garden are a mess and I wish I had spent more time deadheading and neatening things up a bit. Oh well....Chelone and Wendy have seen it before :)

I'm excited to hit the road. We're leaving out of here just after noon. My camera is ready to go!

Saucy

o

Happy birthday Jerri! I got to spend my birthday at Idyllunion one year too so I know firsthand that you'll have a great one!

Eden

o
RE: Idyll #390 - Meets and Greets

We did get a good rain here last night along with some thunder and lightning but nothing too bad. Bonus is no watering this morning. No Bella today for me either. She's spending the day with Aunt Jenni. I think it'll be too hot for much gardening so inside work for me today.

Marie, thanks for the tip. I bet that will work well for Bella. I'm so glad to hear you've got a visit with dd and Reed in the works. I know how happy that makes you.

Michelle, hope you're feeling better today. I can imagine that message from Kenzie. I had a phoned in birthday song from Bella this year too.

PM, what a bummer that you have to miss the IU. You're lucky in that you live so close to many Idyllers though so you'll have plenty of opportunities to meet up with them in the future. Hope you're feeling better today.

Martie, I'm thinking of you too and hope you're doing well.

Safe travel and lots of fun wished for IU5! Remember to take lots of pictures to show us.

Eden

o
RE: Idyll #390 - Me Again

I must be the only one avoiding housework by spending time here this morning. Most of you are probably on the road or packing though....anyway a few pictures to share below.

First a shot of how Denise has influenced my plant shopping this last year

and a couple of the latest Bud and Bella in the garden series. I don't think I even realized they were in the first shot when I took it.

Eden

o

No, Eden, I'm avoiding housework too. That's an everyday thing for me, though ;) That Bella is just a little doll!

Happy Birthday to Michelle and Jerri! No pictures, the camera officially died :( Got a new one on the way, though.

Gotta run, the contractor is on his way with a quote for the porch. Just wanted to get my birthday wishes in before it's any later. Have a grand time at Idylluinion and somebody, please...have a glass of wine for me!
Brenda
PS. I'd love to hear from Da!! Le Sigh ;)

o

Avoiding work of any sort here. I did go try exercise class...quite gently though. Then I bought TWO sprinklers, the cheap $9 ones at Canadian Tire. So what if they don't last. The old ones that don't last cost $40! In fact perhaps I should buy 2 more of the $9 ones!

B&B photos are adorable Eden!

Here the thermometer is rising, to 86F. I like spring and fall best with 65F temperatures and no mosquitoes or black flies. Best time for gardening I find.

DH is at his voice lesson now and tomorrow the new dishwasher should be installed, which means I'll get to test it with a large load!

Leslie asked for a long view of the barn, so here goes, with some other shots too.

Clematis perle d'Azur

And for V, veronicastrum.

o

Marie, I bought 2 of the $40 sprinklers last year to replace a cheapie that I'd had for years. Then I had nothing but problems with them so I went back the the under $10 model this spring and it's worked great. Guess it's not always true that you get what you pay for. Unfortunately I'm the dishwasher here. Love the long shots of the barn, so picturesque!

Hi Brenda. It would be wonderful to hear from Da wouldn't it. Wonder if she ever reads here anymore and what she's up to these days.

My veronicastrum fascination is blooming too. Very cool plant! One of those that looks Seuss-like to me which makes me think of Martie.

Still procrastinating here but have made a dent in the laundry. Wendy, Saucy and Chelone should be on their way by now.

Eden

o

Contractor's been and gone. DH wasn't here, so I get to be the sole spectator for his sticker shock theatrics. Mathematically, it's impossible for him to have lived through the depression, but if you ever listened to him...you'd wonder. Apparently, he remembers when you could get a railroad hobo to build a whole HOUSE for a hot meal and fifty cents, lol.

Eden, I bet Da pops in and reads. It's impossible not to, even when you don't have time to post. Even when I'm "off the radar", I think about everyone and have to pop in and at least skim..it's comfy :) When the harvest circus comes to town, I'll try and at least pot my name so ya know I'm around. Da?? C'mon, post your name...I know you're there, I can hear you breathing!

Bug, I do so love your barn! You've done a wonderful job with the plantings. We had an old bank barn that burned, and I cried my eyes out. It wasn't at all practical for the way the farming operation has grown, but it was gorgeous, all weathered. The center beam in the roof was from one giant tree. I loved looking at it and thinking about how it was when they built it. Amazing the things they got done, and without all the power equipment we have now. Somebody hauled a LOT of fieldstone to build the foundations for our house and barn..bigguns, too!
I have Pearle d'Azur growing next to the porch. Beautiful plant. Is that in either of the distance shots of the barn? That blue is wonderful in front of the weathered wood.

Good to see a face to go with Jerri's name. Don't think I've seen you before...Howdy! You both look like excited little kids :)

I should move. I have nothing out of the freezer for supper, and DH will be home any minute. Let the show begin! Sometimes he's adorable when he's being crochety, but I try not to laugh.
Brenda

o

I believe I'm getting on top of things. At least my stomach doesn't hurt, but food isn't overly appealing yet. Of course that means I'm weak and shaky. Its probably a good thing I wasn't leaving today or tomorrow for IU.

DH gave me an extra water wand, a cordless drill, almond M&M's (my fav) and a composting book for my birthday. Gifts I'm sure all women want LOL

We have a busy weekend, so I probably won't have too much time to feel sorry about missing IU. DD wants to have us over to barbeque for my birthday and I believe DS will come too. Rick's GS has a car in the demolition derby at the county fair and my parents will be stopping Sunday night on their way home from Mpls. I had grown some hibiscus from seed last year and only 1 returned this year. I told her I would give it to her and she was thrilled. She likes to wander my gardens as well.

We had .7" of rain today.

I joke that I see danger around every corner, which is not the best asset when you live on a farm. Yesterday DD and Kenzie went parasailing and I found out that DS bought a motorcycle. DD and DSIL are friends with the parasailing company owners and they could do it free. Kenzie had a ball.

I did meander around a little after the rain and take a few shots before collapsing on the couch for a 2 1/2 hour nap.

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Nelson sprinkler

o
sprinkler

I put the link on my last post but forgot to mention that I have a Nelson sprinkler that I got several years ago that I really like. It adjusts so easily and is very easy to get it to do just the area you want.

o

Hello all,

We've arrived! YEa! Only one traffic jam and that only lasted twenty minutes or so. I'm loving the birthday pics and that first photo of Bella and Bud in the garden is priceless!

Lovely photos Michelle, I especially love that yarrow with the Asiatic lily combination! Gorgeous!

Bug, as always the barn shots are wonderful. I surely wish I was closer so I could do a year's worth of barn shots and make a calendar out of them.

Sprinklers, jeesh, I have one forty dollar job that only oscillates when it feel like it. I agree that you might just as well get the cheap ones as the expensive ones don't work any better.

So did anyone look at the photos from the rose gardens?

Later all
Deanne

o

o

Deanne, I just finished the rose garden slideshow. That is a fabulous looking place. I loved all the lovely statuary especially the 6 cherubs. What a fun outing to kick off IU5.

Eden, I meant to mention how I loved the Bella and Bud picture. Reading all relaxed in the garden - it doesn't get much better than that does it?

'bug, those are some lovely shots of your barn. Ours is much more homely and there really isn't much for planting area around it.

I did feel good enough to put a few hours into the garden this evening.

Michelle

o

Michelle, glad you're feeling better.

Deanne, I enjoyed the slide show too and also loved the statuary. I found a little sleeping cherub from Tuscano that I'm thinking about ordering to tuck into the garden area I'm redoing under the fruit trees. I enjoyed seeing all of the succulent pics too. Thanks for taking the time to put this together for us to view.

Eden

o

TGIF!

Good morning!

Today is officially a vacation day for me but I have a meeting with one of the VPs at 7:30 to go over some work I need to do to cover for his divisional controller who left last Friday. He's in a different building so I'll sneak in without even casting a shadow on my own office. After that it's off to get my hair cut then home to pack and water before I leave for IU5.

Visitors from out of the area are in for a real weather treat here this weekend-good old New England hot and humid. Today and tomorrow it's supposed to hit 95 F in this area. Probably hotter in metro NY. We'll be looking for shade in the NYBG for sure.

Deanne, I had never even heard of that rose garden before. Gardens and ocean though...I'm there. Looks like the perfect stop on a trip to "the compund". Ask Chelone what time we should be there for lunch.

OK, later gators.

Sue

o

Good morning :-)

Two nights in a row of better sleep, so why do I feel like a wet dishrag? Oh for the good old days when a good night sleep was a cure for almost anything. Just peeking in to see what is going on.

No news from Cornfield Park yet?

Michelle, sorry to hear you are feeling under the weather too. Speedy recovery to you! Your BD gifts cracked me up...lol. Sounds like some of the crazy gift lists I've given my family.

Thanks Gardenbug...I do wonder if 'Da' ever lurks. :-) Great shots of your barn, too!

Sprinklers are always driving me crazy too. Most of mine barely last a year without having some issue or another. Last year I bought a new one at Lowe's. Not sure what brand it is, but it is an oscillating heavy metal one, with a different adjustment to set the coverage. Instead of a dial, which always gives me fits, this has two easy to move levers which I am loving. Going into season two with this one.

Wow...look at the happy Idyllers Jerri and Deanne!! Happy Birthday Jerri, lucky you....spending it at IU5. :-) For a minute I thought that was your fountain behind you Deanne...lol. Thanks for the link to Fuller Rose Garden...nice way to start the weekend. Anyone that can get a rose to be blooming late July, with no disease on the foliage impresses me, too.

Denise, although the succulent collection at Fuller is lovely, I think your collection could win a blue ribbon in a head to head competition. :-)

Saucy....that would be great to get together...fall sales are coming up soon and by then you will be rested from your IU5 trip. :-) Hope you have a great weekend! Glad you have a new camera!

Eden, you are right, lots of Idyllers close by. What about near you Eden, any Idyllers? Loving all your pictures! What a heart warming photo of Bella lying on Bud reading a book. That is the sweetest thing! Nice set up for your pots and quite a collection you have going there. Where did you get that metal circular decoration on the fence? Really nice. Any news about how your Mom is doing? Great job on the Blood Drive.

Brenda...we need to do some work on our front entry, just curious what you thought of the price you received. Is it reasonable or way more than you thought? All I can say is, I wish I had the work done when we first needed it, since prices keep going up.

Where is Marian these days?

Ok....hope your Friday is exciting and relaxing at the same time whether home or away...and since it is supposed to be Hot Hot Hot everywhere today....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Good Morning, it's supposed to climb to 90F again today. The humidity doesn't seem too bad yet.. I need to get out and water/fertilize containers now. Bella's here today so she'll be 'helping' me. She's watching her Cats dvd and dancing right now. She brought over a stuffed cat the other day and told me it's name was Jenny Any Dots.

PM, so sorry to hear that you're still not feeling up to par. Hope that changes soon. There are a few MI Idyllers, Honey and David, and Da too. The metal piece hanging on my fence was a Homegoods purchase a couple of years ago. My mom and dad art still in Houston. They may be coming home soon though. The Drs. don't think they can do any more there than can be done here at home at this point. She's not up to having any more chemo for now. She's doing ok though. Thanks for asking about her.

I'm off to do that watering and then some vacuuming before it gets too hot. Bella will probably spend the afternoon playing in her pool to stay cool. Lazy days of summer.

Bet the IU attendees are having a ball! Sure hope so! Later,

Eden

o

Your reporter on the scene checking in here from IU5, and actually posting in the eastern time zone ! A fabu-day today visiting two wonderful gardens ,with Doug and Chelone providing highly competant chauffer services.Cocktail hour is rapidly approaching-oh yeah and dinner too. I think we'll have some great pics to share when we get home. Good thing I brought an extra memory card --and Saucy has her fancy new camera..hi to everyone, and wish all of you could have been here with us !

Kathy in NY

o

Glad to know the airlines are working and Kathy is ready for cocktails! Chelone is there too obviously! I hope it isn't too hot to enjoy the gardens but that you have air conditioning when needed.

I'm still sitting around the farm, grumpy because the DW people couldn't install the dishwasher, so now I wait for a plumber to install it next week. I hope he does the dishes for me too!

We ate out with French Club tonight and came back home when the skies opened up on our parasol. Still way too humid for me. I need to work outdoors but the bugs are horrible.

Need some photos of the gang to perk things up around here!!!

In the meantime, here are some of mine:

Ciao!
'bug

o

Well looks like Gardenbug has some gorgeous garden photos posted and lacking anything to add from this neck of the woods...thought I would send out some night vibes, since that seems to be what I am majoring in these days...[g]

o

gb - it looks like the clematis pergola in the veggie garden is filling in well - more picture please...?

o

It's an exciting morning on the farm. Future SIL is taking me with him to get DD's ring!!! WOO HOO!!

PM, there was a bit of sticker shock on the porch project, but I had no real frame of reference for the cost. We have to replace 8 posts, completely re-do the roof, run new wiring for lights and an outlet, cover the header beam, replace part of the bead-board ceiling and form and pour new steps. Came to a fuzz under 10 grand. The new posts will be aluminum with a baked on finish with a slight gloss, and they weren't cheap. Given what they're doing, and the quality of work the guy does, I'm cool with the total, and even DH didn't blow a fuse like I expected.

Pictures are, as always, marvelous..bug, you seem to have an abundance of weathered wood on the farm, a look I just love! My new camera is due to arrive on the 21st. I'm telling myself I'm going to do some reading in the manual and actually LEARN something about it before I take it out and point and shoot. Lol, we'll see how that goes.
Have a spectacular day, all!!
Brenda

o
For Woody

o
Brenda!

Is the ring a surprise Brenda? Do you think you know your daughter's taste pretty well? Why doesn't she get to go select it too? I'm always interested in the different traditions families have for these things!

DD and her DH ordered rings made for them on the web, incorporating several meaningful symbols alternating with emerald chips. At the moment, DD's ring is "in the shop" getting a replacement stone. That's one of the hazards of gardening! And yes, the turtle is one of the 4 symbols.

As for me, I sold my ring for cash and never wear one! It didn't fit me for years. DH never wanted one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bearclaw Jewelry

o

On the scene at IU5: We had a double fabu fabu day today (Would that actually be a Quad Fabu??)in spite of the heat and humidity-you can't keep a good Idyll down . A staggering number of pics were taken, gallons of water consumed, and we visited two spectacular gardens. Beer is now needed ! Hope all are having a pleasant weekend, and special IU5 vibes out to Martie ! Hi Martie !!

Kathy in NY

o

gb - the pergola is looking fanstastic! Cedar and clematis are obviously perfect partners!

o

Good evening... :-)

Wow, this has to be the most quiet Saturday on Idylls, I've seen this year. Waving to all the Idyll absentees. Nice to hear from our roving reporter....hope the day wasn't too hot and you found ways to cool off along the way. I'm picturing a lot of fountain dipping...lol.

Waving a quiet wave and whispering hello to Martie too. :-) :-)

Brenda...Ring shopping, pretty exciting! I also wondered about SIL and Mom doing the ring shopping. Is it going to be a surprise? The price on the porch update was about what I was thinking. I need to get busy getting some estimates around here too. It's a great idea to keep things in good repair. You will enjoy it more too! Hope you will take before/after photos.

Gardenbug....Very pretty rings at the website you linked to. What a nice alternative to a plain gold band. My husband and I can't wear our rings at this point either. I had thought of having a piece put in but I never get to it. DH has a problem with a tendon in his hand that interferes with his.

How is it you have an Iris blooming now? Is that a Japanese Iris? I didn't realize they bloomed at a different time than the Bearded or Siberian. You have some of the most gorgeous lilies and clematis. That stand of Rudbeckia makes quite a statement and I think I enjoy them more with the light center. I also enjoy the weathered arbor down the center of the veggie garden. Do you find that paver path needs much weeding? Wooly thyme along the edge? One of my favs.

Eden...thanks for the update on your parents. They must be so worn out with it all. I am sure you will be happy for them to be home now. I hope your Mom will be able to rest and recover some strength for whatever further treatment is next.

Hello to Woody and Marian...hope you both are staying cool.
So who else is around this weekend?

My Doc had some suggestions to try to get a better night sleep tonight, so we'll see how that goes. He wants me to have another sleep study..sigh. Evidently there are some new treatment ideas to try too. Starting to thunder out there tonight. Hope that will bring some rain, we could use it.

:-)
pm2

o

Brenda, what fun getting to help choose the ring. When Jen got engaged Randy let her pick the ring. They had it designed by a jeweler so it took quite a while before she actually got it. Your daughter's must be a surprise for her? Wow, $10K for you porch. That seems like a lot to me and is why I always try to get Brad to do just about everything around here. He's cheap labor:) It sounds like your porch will be really nice when it's finished. Don't forget the before and after pics. I always forget to take the befores and then wish I had them to compare.

Healing wishes sent to Martie from here too!

Marie, beautiful garden pictures!

PM, hope you get some good rest tonight. I rarely have a problem with that due to Bella I think :) Maybe you need a 3 year old to chase all day (just kidding). I was having a problem waking up in the middle of the night and worrying when my parents first went to Houston but finally told myself I just wasn't going to think about that in the middle of the night. I must have listened to myself because I've been sleeping fine since. Reading at bedtime is always guaranteed to put me to sleep after a few pages. Hope you get it figured out soon.

We were going to take Bella to a free concert that the Detroit Symphony is doing this evening at one of the metroparks but it's rainy and so humid that we decided no.

I know that the IU attendees are having too much fun. Thanks for the updates Kathy. Raising my Saturday night wine glass to you all...

Eden

o

It rained! Down to 70F from 90 and I'm able to breathe again. YEAHHHH! I weeded a bit before the sky fell, and am ready for a second bath today now. I hope I can do more garden work tomorrow! All those columbine seeds are a mess now too.

o

Lol, well to be honest, I had never heard of the MIL and SIL shopping for the ring, either!! DD didn't want to see it until he put in on her finger, and he wasn't too confident about picking one out. He asked if I could go, to stop him if he was going to pick out one she'd hate. (Kids these days, I dunno!) No one had anything to worry about, though. I kept quiet and he picked out the exact ring I would have for her. She and I have discussed rings many times before...since she was about thirteen, I think, lol! She wanted simple, small stone and antique looking. That's been pretty much what she's wanted for years. She sent me a text message after he gave it to her, and wanted us to come over. She is thrilled with the ring, him, us, and pretty much the world in general right now. I can't imagine what he would have had to pick out for me to have said a single word. The grin on his face when I told him that was the one I liked best was worth a million dollars. I like her boy :)
Bless his heart, he invited us to stay for grilled filet mignon. I may be getting old, but I'm not an old fool. I should hope there are candles and wine next to that steak. Jim and I are home having grilled pork chops where we belong.
Bug, that link is awesome! They have some really cool stuff-the barrettes make me wish I could stand to have longer hair, lol!
Enough excitement for me for one day. I'm gonna eat supper and pack it in for the night. Have a good evening all, and PM, hope you get some good sleep tonight!
Brenda

o

Hey Brenda, I gave DD's 3 best girl friends silver pendants designed by that couple for all their help with the wedding. They cried and were so sweet about their treasures.

I knew a girl, probably like many other I guess, who got no sleep when she received her ring. She stayed up all night staring at her diamond ring on her left hand. LOL. That was in '67. I wonder where she is now?

So nice that you like this young man so much!!! It does make a difference...

o

Evening everyone,

What an incredible two days. Today was beyond fabulous with Wave Hill and the NYBG. What amazing and lovely gardens. The weather has been unbelievably hot but an over warm day could not keep the Idylls down. It was 97 degrees on the car thermometer at 5:30PM when we left NYBG, whew! Way too hot but we kept hydrated and took a couple breaks in the lovely air conditioned cafes and went back into the trenches. The conservatory was amazing with beautiful reflecting pools with koi, lotus and waterlilies. Then they had an entire section that was all fabulous coleus that made my heart go pitter pat. What color! Wonderful fun to share the beauty with gardening friends. Sue was waited upon hand an foot and was rolled about the gardens in the wheel chair with nary a complaint.

Tonight we had an impromptu get together hosted by Les and Monique and many many laughs were shared by all.

OK I guess Im about ready to hit the sack. We have to check out, pack up in the AM and will head home after viewing the Garden Conservancy Open Gardens tomorrow. It looks to be another long but wonderful day.

Take care all,

Deanne

Brenda, WONDERFUL news! You must be so happy! How fun to be in on picking out the ring.

o

Good morning, here are a couple shots of the gang.
Doug and Les - Wonder what they are talking about?

o

Good morning Idylls!

We are having a blast here in NY! So many gardens, so little time! What a day yesterday - we visited both Wave Hill and the NYBG. Both were stunning in their own ways. Deanne mentioned the heat, but it didn't stop us! We were exhausted and dripping with sweat by the end of the day, but every one of us was grinning from ear-to-ear. I'm sure many pics will follow when we get home.

I always wake up early, usually by 5:30, so I was surprised to see the clock in my room said almost 6:30! That is a bit late for me. I showered, then looked out the window for a weather check and noticed it was darker than it should be at 7am and the moon was still up. I double-checked the clock, then pulled out my cell phone. Sure enough, the clock in my hotel room somehow gained an hour during the night; it was really only 6am. I have no idea how to reset it, it is one of those IHome thingys and I don't own an IPod. All dressed up and nowhere to go - breakfast isn't served until 7am and I'm starving! I wandered to the hotel lobby and and was pleased to see breakfast being served an hour earlier than promised! I'm still not quite sure what time it really is.

Eden, it is good to see you here. Bella is becoming quite a young lady - so adorable! Good thoughts going out to your Mom.

Martie, thinking of you as well - hope you are home being pampered my Rich and you'll be up and around soon. I took a pic of a giant lavendar yesterday with you in mind - this one plant must have been 3 feet wide; I'll post it later in the week if the picture came out.

I had some time to check out Deanne's rose pictures from Fuller Rose garden - fabu fabu! Such beauty and artistry - I could practically smell them (though I didn't try, this computer is kind of in a public place, in fact there is a guy to my right using the other computer. I've never Idylled with stangers before!) That place about 45 minutes from my home that I've never visited. A trip there soon is definitely in order.

Well, back to the garden grind - lots more to see today. Waving hi to all, and wishing you were here to join us!

-W

o
RE: Idyll #390 - Meetings and Greetings and FUN

Ha! I guess Deanne's up! See you later daHling!

o

Thank you ladies!!! So IU5 is real after all. Photos posted to prove it! I even spy a crutch...Sue, I too love the new haircut. I hope today is much cooler for you all. Here the rain and a breeze have knocked down my Aconitum...so if possible, there will be some staking going on here today. I'd love to be with you though...

o

I was reading Deanne's report and wishing she'd post just one photo of 'Team Idyll'. Poof! Next post. Thank you Deanne! It's cool the way you all sorted yourselves by shirt color. If Kathy had been on the left coast of the photo, I would have id'd her more quickly. I guess it's too late to ask you all to stand in map conformation next time. The sky in photo #2 sure looks hot and heavy, and the brick walk with the circle center looks famliar :-) Is that a clematis starting to climb the crutch?

o

Isn't that a great shot! I recognize five people only. I am also trying to puzzle out who is who...lol. Geographically arranged photo...what an idea Cynthia! Thanks for photos!

Who is it that thought to bring a connection to upload photos? Someone most organized I think.

:-)

o

We woke to a light rain/mist here. The garden/jungle is loving it and I have plenty to keep me busy indoors so I don't mind either. It's cooler that yesterday but still plenty muggy.

Great to hear from and SEE the IU attendees! You all look just great and that must be Kathy front and center I've deducted by process of elimination.

Wendy, I'm glad you were up early and had time to give us a nice post.

Martie, I thought of you yesterday when I picked up a lavender I'd never seen before to add to Jen's herb garden. It's called Silver Edge and is supposed to be z5 hardy. Hope you're feeling better and stronger every day.

PM, no middle of the night post from you so hoping that means you slept through.

Brenda, dd's fiance sounds like a sweet guy. I lucked out and got a really great son-in-law too who treats my daughter like a princess.

I told you all how Bella's been fascinated with Cats. She likes to try to imitate the dance moves they do and yesterday I was sitting and watching her. She apparently didn't like that and suggested I go in the other room and get on my 'puter'. Little stinker!

Brad's left to go workout so I have a couple of hours to myself. Dishes or vacuuming???

Hi Cynthia :)

Eden

Here is a link that might be useful: lavender silver edge

o

Sorry PM, should have remembered you haven't met most folks. Back row left to right: Deanne, Sue, Chelone. Front row left to right Jerri, Wendy, Monique, Kathy, Cindy, V, Saucy. And Doug must have taken the photo because that's Les in front. PS: Wireless is everywhere, and all hotels have free access. I was hoping to see a photo of you PM! Sorry you weren't feeling well and couldn't make it this time. Not to trivilize in any way your sleep troubles, but are you able to exercise? Walk a few miles a day? That is the best sleep inducer.

GB, I just love your photos of the farm. You have done such a beautiful job with that place. Keep 'em coming. Especially fun since you are at least a month behind me.

Eden, that first photo of the gardens and Bella is wonderful. She and Bud are like elves in the garden and I think the photo is better because they are off to the side.

Congratulations on your new to be son in law Brenda.

Later - Cynthia

o

Good evening.....

Thanks Cynthia for identifying the lineup! What fun to have faces to go with the names. I wonder if everyone has already met, or if I am one of the few who have not? I did recognize Sue from a trip to Logee's last year or the year before. I love what you've done to your hair Sue! I can always pick Chelone out of a photo. Les and Doug would have enjoyed it if my DH came and they wouldn't feel so outnumbered. [g] The photo has me thinking and wondering, if all Idylls who are and have been Idylls were together in one place for a photo, how many would there be?

I did manage to sleep better last night following the Dr's suggestions, hoping for two in a row tonight. Thanks for all the recipes for sleep. Eden, I remember well, the days of chasing a three year old around and how deep a sleep that can produce. [g] We seem to have the same rule in place. No thinking about worries or what I have to do the next day, in the middle of the night. I don't have any trouble going to sleep, just staying that way. I do sometimes rearrange plants in garden borders in my head, [g] but for the most part, if I am awake longer than 45 minutes I just get up and read.

Brenda, DD's fiance sounds like a keeper to me too! Imagine inviting you over for dinner on their special night....lol....that is above and beyond courtesy to the in-laws to be!

Hope the traffic is tolerable on the way home from New York. I am wondering, how these Idyll trips compare to remembered trips from your young adulthood? I am just thinking of what I thought was fascinating when I was in my twenties and if I were imagining a trip to go on, I don't think a visit to gardens would have ever occurred to me. [g] As a matter of fact, houseplants were the only thing I had grown until I was 30 years old.

Hellos out to Martie and Marian...

Happy Trails... :-)

o

Hi all, I made it back home. I just got a chance to look at all the birthday cards. They are just lovely and I'm printing them all out. :) Thank you so much.
I had the most wonderful and fun trip! The Idylls are even more fun in person and everyone is so nice.
I am just pooped. Off to put my feet up. ;)

Later all

Jerri

o

Evening all,

Well we've made it home and both of us are pretty tired. There was a bit of a traffic tie up on the Mass Pike so we got off and had an ice cream for supper at the Charlton rest stop, LOL.

Looks like Doug picked up some poison ivy on his right leg at Stonecrop on Friday, bummer. It started 'blossoming' yesterday morning and I mentioned it and he said, "It's nothing, don't worry about it". Then this morning it was alarmingly worse and he still didn't think it was a problem then it started itching and he took a look at it and Whoops! Now its a problem

WE had another brilliant day of garden touring and saw the most spectacular garden last on the list. What a treat! I surely wish all could have seen this place. Beautiful undulating beds, that curved around with paths winding through then lovely decorative fencing with a gate that goes through to a multi level pond system with waterfalls created with native, glacial rock. Then on to a formal croquet court and vegetable garden! Fabulous! She also had a collection of cement urns, statuary and containers that made my heart go pitter pat. Incredible.

Jerri, Im so glad to hear you made it home OK. I went out in the lobby to say goodbye and you were already gone! Sorry I missed my goodbye hugs.

The good news is that it rained here today and MJs son did a great job watering and everything looks great. The bad news is that the thunder storm apparently tripped the ground fault interrupter that is located on the outlet UNDER the fountain. So now we have to lift the dratted thing off again to re set it and I guess Doug is going to locate the ground fault outlet at the house instead of under the fountain. Oh well, another project for the list.

OK its getting late and I need to go and unpack things and get to bed at a decent hour. Take care all, I hope the rest of the travelers check in when they get home.

Deanne

o

Good hot and sticky evening...at least here.

I got home around 6 PM after stopping for gas and groceries. Easy drive and an uneventful trip. Everything is unloaded and unpacked and I just finished a delectable dinner on the patio of grill rosemary lamb rib chops, fresh steamed asparagus, a salad and wine. Carrot cake for dessert. Who's better than me? lol Despite not being watered since Friday afternoon my pots were in surprisingly good shape. I guess the downpour we had sometime this afternoon helped but to be on the safe side for tomorrow, I watered again.

Glad to see Jerri and Deanne made it home safe and sound. What a great time we had this weekend! I suspect Jerri is a new idyllunion convert. Kathy is already asking for the dates for next year. I'm really glad I made the effort to attend. At one point I was seriously considering sitting this one out because of the injury. Hats off to all who shlepped my wheelchair around yesterday in that heat at both Wave Hill and the NYBG-mostly Chelone but with help from Les and Wendy. Today I wasn't so good. My original plan was to go home this morning but I was curious, went to the first garden and ended up crutching through that one and two other large but just incredible private gardens. Well worth it but don't tell my doctor.

So...where are we going next year?

Sue

o

Another idyller checking in to say I've made it home safe and sound. I got to La Guardia early and got on a much earlier flight via standby. I almost got out of line because there were over 20 names on the list already, but lo and behold my lowly 37,000 FF miles got me to #1 status! Since I landed early, DH and I had time to "rendevous" at the tollway oasis. He's headed to Vegas by way of Chattanooga.

So here's what I managed to get in the suitcase with my sweaty clothes:

And it wouldn't be an idyllunion without a good bum shot.

I had an absolutely wonderful time seeing great gardens, enjoying good friends and having lots of good laughs. Um, what was the noise?

Got to finish unpacking and get to bed. I wish I was still IU'ing!!!

V.

o

I feel like I'm saying goodbye at the station to all! I hate goodbyes... Better to smile at bum shots. Sleep well and then share some of the great stuff tomorrow and throughout the week!

After the rain here...62F now!
Fudo and Fairy Dust:

o

We had lots of rain last night and this morning. Great!

Welcome home Idyllers. I can't wait for the onslaught of photos. I love the one posted already that shows the group. It's nice knowing what everyone looks like so we can picture them in mind while reading their posts.

'bug...I'm just loving your photos. Each one is my new favorite. LOL.

eden...Bud and Bella In The Garden should be the title to a children's book (or a series.) They could be the main characters that take the reader on a journey through the garden ...it would get kids interested early in gardening and getting to know plants by name...even teach their latin names.

jerri...hope you especially had a great time on the NYC trip, since it was your birthday. An extra special time...hope it was fantastic!

It's too late to be typing...

Anita

o

Another driven idyller checking in -- hit the returning beach traffic on the way south last nite so it ended up a longer drive of almost 7 hrs, but was worth getting home to see that the furry munchkin was alive and well and overjoyed to see me; the plants and yard seem to have survived despite the incredible heat wave, and there even managed to be a rain shower while I slept so I dont have to immediately lug hoses around.

Wow, o wow - I can believe these last 4 days have flown ! by -- it was almost non-stop laughter; so great to meet IUers in person -- I seem to recall there were a few mundane things I meant to do like checking my home voice mail while I was gone - but you get with this crowd and it becomes your own wonder world of fun, wonder and talent shows.... The musical recital was one of a kind.....

Yep, most of us are already wondering where and when we should set next year's IU - so some can start saving the pennies and getting it on the calendars.

Lots of photos to go over and share, dirty, sweaty clothes to wash and some (surprise?) plants to go plant...

We thought of all you missing members often and hope we can get a record number for next year!!!!
--Cindy

o
RE: Idyll #390 - Meetings and Greetings -#2

A Happy Belated (photo) Birthday Greeting, Jerri! It was soooo wonderful we got to share your birthday in person!

-Cindy

o

Thanks Cindy. I had such a great time. I haven't laughed that much in years. It's good for the soul. :)

I am sorry I didn't get to say a proper good bye to everyone. The cab came much quicker than I thought. It's probably a good thing. I'm not good at all with good byes, I am a crier, it's really pitiful. LOL
Hugs to all... Deanne, you have mail.

Jerri

P.S. I really hate to be back at work. ;)

o

Hi!! Quick skim to be sure all Idyllunioners arrived safe and sound. Hooray! It's been so hot, and so humid, but if you have to be anywhere, it may as well be with a bunch of folks who don't care, either :-)

So, the tale of The Procedure. The surgery itself was uneventful except my uterus was twice the size they anticipated so an extra little incision needed to be made.

And, despite everyone's best intentions, they couldn't argue with the fact that I could certainly lie around at Home taking medication Every Four Hours as well as in the hospital. If that was the Only reason I needed to stay overnight, then fooey!! My surgeon ultimately left it up to Rich who looked at me and said: She looks better than she has for the last few years -- I'll get the car.

Ya think I look better after having a diseased part of me removed??? LOL

Physically I'm sore but am taking my Percoset as prescribed and drinking tons of water to ward off any dibilitating pain. No one gets hero awards for having pain after surgery when there's so many ways to avoid it.

Everyone who cared for me at the hospital was good except for the Anesthesiologist. I finally looked at him and told him I thought he was in the perfect specialty - one that dealt with comatose patients and could he please hurry up and get that done so I wouldn't have to put up with his dumb "jokes" anymore. The nurse was embarrassed and another doc came to see me post-op. They listened!!

So robotic surgery is all they make it out to be, and I'm hopeful that women who can be goo candidates for the technique and could truly benefit from this particular surgery don't hesitate for as long as I did.

Best to everyone! Will catch up more later.

Keep forgetting to remember that the lav in my pic was 'Provence', Deanne. In a protected spot it'll grow in your yard. They get 3' across -- will post a pic when I can get through blur :-)

Mrtie

o

Hubby and I had a great time at IU5 also. I'm always so sad on the trip home b/c it is so much fun to talk plants for hours and laugh until you cry and it will be another year before we "all" get together again. Luckily the New England people are all within a few hours and we can get together often. Enjoyed meeting the 2 new Idyllers-Kathy and Jerri and also Saucy's friend Denise.

I haven't even downloaded photos yet-maybe tonight or tomorrow night. The dogsitter/housesitter didn't water the plants-they were dry as a bone. So, we spent the evening soaking all the pots. Luckily nothing looks dead (yet), but I'm concerned that there might be residual effects. Hubby made the mistake of telling her not to water on Friday (we last watered Thursday evening), then she told him on the phone Saturday night that it had rained so she didn't have to water. Well, our rain gauge said less than 1/4 inch, so it probably was a 5 minute downpour and she just noticed water everywhere and assumed the pots were fine. Ugggh.

I owe some birthday photos, so hopefully will be back tonight with those at the very least.

o

Now that the big celebration is over, who will be joining me in the Idyll's Biggest Loser weight loss contest?
Holy cow, I don't want to even go near a scale. LOL

Jerri

o

A quick check-in to confirm IU was a success and everyone headed home exhausted and happy. And so very nice to hear a thumbs-up surgery report from Martie through that blurry Percocet fog ;)

'bug, I haven't seen that much green since Ireland! The barn photos are iconic, nothing less. And the split rail fences draped with clematis, stunning.

Eden, don't you blame me for that succulent collection, lol! I've got some more pups of the Agave medio-picta. Do you have this one yet? As soon as they get sturdy roots I can send one off to you. I like the display you've arranged for your pots, and what a treat to see Bud & Bella again. I wonder if Bella has any pets at home. I hope the MD Anderson trip was fruitful for your mom, but in any case, you must be thrilled to have her home again.

Congrats to you, Brenda, on the engagement. What a happy moment for your family. I love porch projects and hope yours goes forward so I can enjoy it vicariously...Here's my dream porch:

Photobucket

Have to thank Michelle for linking the Nelson sprinkler. So I don't need to invent one after all! I had no idea there was such range on the industrial end. Still deciding but happy to have some solid choices finally.

Happy belated birthday, Jerri. That's gotta be a memorable one for you.

PM, you and I are twins in the sleep deprivation dept, tho for different reasons. I'm just beginning to catch up over the weekend, and I hope there's as easy an answer to your sleep dilemma.

Will check in later for more IU news and hopefully an avalanche of photos, pretty please?

o

Martie...It's great to hear everything went well and you are comfortably resting at home...with great care! Good for you on telling that doc his bedside manner was lacking. He will think about it the next time he's treating a patient with callousness.

brenda...I forgot to congratulate you on you DD's engagement. The mother of the bride is a very important part of the process, so great times ahead for you. It's always a bonus when you actually like the incoming in-law. So that's great you're getting a good one. [g].

denise...I love that porch, too. So inviting...and clean!

o

Stunning porch there Denise! Looks to be 3 kilometers long at least...I have a friend with an outdoor shower. That is really neat, but not for me. I prefer to shower without mosquitoes.

Today began with a mower that refused to start. So by now, after lunch, it has been carted off for a tuneup. Le sigh....

There have been sheets of rain falling from the sky. The weathermen must not have windows to detect this from their office...They said alternating clouds and sun. Lilies, aconitum, penstemon, ornamental grasses and many other plants are lying flat on the ground.

Monique, my sympathies on the plant watering dilemma. People generally just don't get it unless shown. Even then... They think 1 teaspoonful of water somewhere near the plant is enough I guess. If they were fed in the same fashion they would certainly protest!

Hoping for some IU photos starting this evening perhaps?

'bug

o

'bug, it's a screened-in porch! No skeeters! I will admit I've never had plants flattened by mid-summer rain. Flattened by drought, yes, but never rain...

And now for something completely different, Mitch has been doing concert photography on weekends, and I thought these were particularly good of Rachid Taha and his band:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

So, guess what happens when you get 2 inches of rain in forty-five minutes???? Things get flattened. Good grief, I was all happy because the gardens had come through our vacation in great shape then this happens. My lovely coleus standard is now minus twelve inches off the top and one half of branches on one side broke off. What a mess! Lilies, daylilies, coleus, fuchsias, etc. etc. etc. all have their noses on the ground. Ive done some damage control but the rest will have to wait until tomorrow. It rained so hard the water going down the hill at the end of the street dug out the asphalt and carried chunks of it down the adjacent street. So, Bug, I feel your pain. The same thing happened here today. It was one of those hit or miss storms and we were in the hit zone. The lightening and thunder were amazing as well. The storm warning said there was rotation in the storm with the possibility of a tornado forming. Thank heavens that didnt happen.

Denise, great pics from Mitch! Love them. ~~ I also love your dream porch. Wonderful! ~~ I thought of you so many times this past weekend when wed see a wonderful collection of succulents. Youd have loved it. Also, they had an enormous specimen of Sansevieria cylindrical at Wave Hill that knocked my socks off.

Monique, so sorry to hear your plant sitter didnt adequately water things. Thats such a bummer. I was talking to Doug on the way home about figuring out a way to put in an irrigation system for the container borders. It would save a lot of time and give us more freedom to get away during the summer.

Martie glad to hear all is well and you are on the mend.

Cindy! OMG! Seven hours????!!! What a bummer. You must have been exhausted by the time you got home. So sorry. It took us just about four which wasnt too bad.

V, glad to see everything made it home in good shape including you!

OK I guess Id better get some dinner. Have a great evening everyone.

Deanne

o

Western-most IU-er checking in .. Landed at SFO 1pm ish(that would be 4pm IU time) where it was 57 degrees ! Quite a shock to the system after our weekend weather in New York.
I had an absolutely fantastic time only dire circumstances will keep me from IU6 ! Im making no plans for the last part of July 09. I urge anyone who has pondered participation in this to take the plunge- I had a long journey and it was a somewhat extravagant expense, but it was worth every dime. Including the 6 bucks I still owe V, lol. Both Jerri and I were IU newbies and I know she will agree with me that it was great to meet our internet pals in person . Im surprised I can still use my stomach muscles (such as they are) we laughed so much.

I can report on Vs weather today, we had a rather bouncy ride into Ohare complete with lightening, and flew right over Wrigley low enough to clearly see the tarp on the infield.

Ill be back little later glad to hear that everyone made it home safe and sound though we have yet to receive a check-in from the Chelone-mobile

A token photo or two

Need an ID on this cultivar..V? Took this at our last garden yesterday after you had made your departure..

IU5 031

All succulents-I wonder if Denise has one of these ?

IU5 156

Pondering the combos at this great little bed at Wave Hill.

IU5 103

Kathy in Napa again

o

We are still missing a few IU5 attendees! Is everyone home OK? Please check in. :)
I am just pooped. We were fine in all the gardens; I think I was running on adrenaline. LOL
It didnt help that it was 96 today with the next two days topping off at 100. Ugh
Tomorrow is round two at the Pain Management doctor. I get results from my foot x-rays and blood tests.
Hopefully he can fix me. ;)

Good night all. Off to put the feet up and have a nice cold drink!

Jerri

o
Hi there!

All posting at once again, Hi Deanne and Kathy! Wonderful photos. I love the worm. I will try never to leave an IU early again. I am so jealous - the gardens look incredible!
Deanne, I'm so sorry about the damage. How dreadful! :(

Jerri

o

Kathy, I think that is E. 'Vintage Wine'.

We did have a storm roll through this morning but nothing like Deanne got. Sorry to hear you were walloped today.

All day at work I was wishing I was still touring gardens with my friends.

My plan for this evening is to sort my photos into different folders by location before I forget what was where. I already deleted some of the total duds but there is a lot yet to do.

V.

o

Good evening!

The last NE stragglers are home safe and sound - I was delivered here today just in time for DS to cook a scrambled egg for my lunch. Saucy and Denise were delivered safely as well. I'm assuming Chelone is simply too exhausted to check in after her weekend of driving heroics and is comfortably settled into her feline straight-jacket as we speak.

Denise, I think we may have coined a new Idyll phrase - every time we saw a succulent collection we called it a Denise Garden. I got a kick out of the band pics - such facial expressions! Love that sparkly fedora...

Jerri, sorry I missed saying goodbye to you. It was such fun meeting you, and now I can see your face in my head when you post! Good luck at the Dr. I'm exhausted too. We talked last week about going to Tower Hill on the way home, but we were all just wiped out.

Monique, bummer about your containers. Hope everything is OK. Watering is a tough thing for a non-gardener to grasp.

Deanne, bummer about the rain storm. We are having a banner year here for severe weather, though I'm glad we aren't bone dry like last year. Tell Doug not to scratch! Now the poison ivy song is stuck in my head "Gonna need an ocean of calamine lotion..." Seriously though, hope he finds relief soon.

Well, I'm off - I have to go to work tomorrow so I think I'll have an early night here.

Later all!

-W

o

Saucy and SunnyD are home safe and sound, and I'm pretty sure I saw an email from Wendy. That Chelone is a rebel, you know :) plus we're having unsettled weather here :)

Here's some pictures quickly uploaded from Day 1, Stonecrop and The Climbery:

I've gotta get off here and start thinking about getting back in the groove of things.....

Saucy

o

Oh, goody! Good to see the travelers checking in, and more pictures. I LOVE that worm!
I may be in over my head this time..the new camera arrived and I have no idea what to do with the majority of the buttons and settings. Sounds like a class for sure this time. I got the Sony DSLR-A200. I plan to call tomorrow and sign up. I'm supposed to go to my DB's house tomorrow and take pictures of his gardens. Will be pretty much auto settings and point and click :)
Have a good evening, everyone. It's almost 10 and we haven't eaten yet!
Brenda

o

Hi Idylls and welcome home IU5-ers! So is IU6 in MI next year? : )

Nice to see the idyll family portrait above. Jerri why did I think you were blonde? Funny how we make mental visuals. I'm so glad first time Idyllunioners joined the group-it really is worth it. I spent much of the weekend wondering what fun stuff you were up to.

Deanne the rose garden pics/slideshow were wonderful! Sorry about the rain damage-hope your plants recover well.

Brenda-I think that was really sweet of your SIL-to-be to include you in the ring selection. I can't wait to hear your DD's reaction.

Martie I hope your recovery is smooth and you enjoy your percoset(lol).

Get this-Last Sunday lightning hit so close by somewhere in our neighborhood that Andrew hit the floor and I almost fell off my chair as I ate lunch on our front porch. Ironically a split second before it hit I thought outloud, "Maybe I shouldn't be out here"--on the word 'here' the strike hit. We still aren't sure what was hit but even with a surge protector, our computer won't work. Chris has to assess the harddrive when he has some time. I'm stuck using his laptop which I'm not used to.

Hi to everybody I haven't mentioned!

~Babs

o

Hello everyone from the mythical land o California. I am pooped and fading fast. I think the second wind (note: not a straw reference) will not arrive tonight-have a bit of the time zone thing going on here. I am really glad I added a recuperation day to my time off. There is no way I could function at full throttle at the office tomorrow. I heartily recommend a day of rest after an Idyllunion. Add that extra day into your schedule for IU6.
And here is some info I completely forgot to pass on- did any of you IU5-ers know that The Temptations were staying at our hotel on Saturday night ? They had a concert at a Westchester County venue. Thats why the hotel was so packed that night. Good for us-they were all at the concert when we were partying in 420 !

Glad to hear that Wendy and Saucy made it home intact Chelone is probably busy trying to describe the events of the weekend to the helpmeet. That might take a day or two !

Cindy , 7 hours ! yikes-that is pretty similar to my travel time today.

Jerri, we all rushed out to bid you farewell and the cab/shuttle had already flown the coop. Wasnt it fun to meet everyone ? And you got the extra bonus of seeing Deannes garden. At least two extra days for me next year !

Saucy, your pics turned out really great . No classes or anything..maybe youre a natural .

bug, what is actually in your barn ? Is if full of stuff ? I fear mine would be. Really nice photos as usual.

My typing is getting really sloppy, so I think I need to sign off and fall asleep in the chair watching the ballgame. Hoping Sues foot is ok, Martie is recovering in comfort, PM is sleeping, and will post more tomorrow

Kathy in Napa

o

Good morning all,

It looks like we are in for another day of unsettled weather today. I'm hoping we don't get anymore storms like the one yesterday. That was a doozie.

Great to hear the last of the Idyllers have made it home safe and sound.

Great pics Saucy and Kathy! Love them!

Kathy, So how did I miss the worm? and where was that? I can't believe I don't remember that one. LOL ~~ Yes indeed jet lag is a definite issue, especially after traipsing about in the heat for three days. Hope you're back to normal today.

Babs, great to hear from you. So happy you enjoyed the Fuller Gardens pics! ~~ RE the storm damage, I know most of the plants will recover, even the coleus standard, but that will take awhile.

Brenda, Im looking forward to seeing pics from your new camera.

Jerri, hope all goes well at the doctors.

OK time to get moving here. I surely wish you all could see the Tarragona Orienpets blooming right now. They are this very pale creamy yellow and are so beautifully scented the whole back gardens smell wonderful right now.

Have a great day,
Deanne

o

Woke up around 4am and have been feeding cats, reading email and generally puttering about. It is great fun to see the photos coming in...and of course Saucy's clematis are a hit with me!

Kathy, your question about the contents of our barn is an embarrassing one...one asked by many. Well, we keep the staging for the local music festival in the downstairs portion. It is being used now but will be returned in early August. DH has his hockey practice area set up there too. I keep wire caging for shrubs in the old pig pens. There's also fire wood there.

Upstairs is one caged pet rabbit and lots of other wildlife: raccoons, pigeons etc. There is old lumber which DH thinks he'll use "one day" and some old bicycles that sometimes get used. Our son and daughter have cases and cases of stuff there as well, stuff that they cannot throw out. It is pretty much destroyed after sitting around for years with mice and weather...It has been a good ten years since we've swept things out and we should be putting on masks and working on it, but 'should' is just a word....I think we'll try to set up the old ping pong table for Skyler's visit. DS installed a rope swing last year. There's one pretty safe area with sound flooring. Otherwise, there's risky parts where kids must not go.

Last night I managed to plant a Rheum by the barn, move a forsythia, plant Gaillardia 'Oranges and Lemons' and a yellow echinacea. I also weeded a bit. It's good to get these plants in the ground at last, between showers. I hope to get more done today, weather permitting! It sure will save watering them all the time.

The frogs have been so loud lately, though it is fun to hear them. The birds have been noisy too early though and this makes the cats active..and hence I get less sleep. That's OK though. I like it better than winter. ;)

Spoke to Reed on the phone last night. He told me what an airplane says and what a doggie says.

Time to get the day going...Enjoy yours!!!
'bug

o

I slept like a complete rock last night! I was tired from all that walking in the heat......

Deanne, that is some amount of water that got dumped on you....areas around here were reporting the same, but not a spritz for me....I had to drag the hose. Hopefully everyone is standing at attention in the garden this morning. And you know, you could take a picture and we all could see the orienpets....since I need more help with exactly what orienpets are....though I have an idea that they're spectacular lilies :)

Must work on flower i.d.'ing....I know I'm annoying in that department. I used to be better, but now the kids take up so much space in my head :)

Everyone thought of you at the Climbery, GB. You were there in spirit and I even blabbed your name to the owner :) I blabbed it because I was thinking of Babs :)

Hi Babs! The lightening sounds frightening! Yikes. Check all your appliances before you decide not to call the insurance company.....

I am really excited to get going in my garden. I have visions of moon gates and arbors dancing in my head. I came home to find that the 12 year old not only watered the pots, but every plant in the garden, too, and she spent a substantial amount of time getting the hose stuck in the new hose reel (which automatically winds the hose)....I had a good chuckle since I didn't expect her to be neat and wind the hose....in fact, I left it out for her :) BTW, if you're on the fence about the auto hose reels, I highly recommend, as long as you save the water that it uses to retract the hose (it has a water driven gear inside).

Anyway, I think my coffee has kicked in and it's time to square this office away. I hear it might be overcast this week....perfect for all the big plans I have in the garden :)

TTYL....with pics!

Saucy

P.S. Kathy, Denise wandered into the lobby early one morning and was shocked to see the place filled with musical instruments....wonder if they were with the Temptations? LOL...if only they'd heard our band.....

o

I love reading about Idyll gatherings and seeing the photos. It sounds (and looks) like it was another fabu-fabu and fun time.

Nothing of interest to report from here, but I wanted to pop in and wave to all....

T.

o

I arrived home to cloudy skies and clammy low '70s. I could tell there must have been a deluge the night before as there were little gulleys in the stonedust leading to the center of the circle. My little "Missy Squarekins" (Vera) greeted me as soon as I pulled into the dooryard, trilling and emitting excited little mews. Wrecks was basically beside himself; doing the "articulated" dog thing and whining. I was indeed in the "feline straight jacket" last night.

Wendy and I remarked that it was a bit of a let-down to see everyone leave, too. We're with you on that sentiment, Monique. I smile at the very thought of some of the sillys. I am not sure if Kathy noticed or not but I did flash the light in my room as a final salute as I watched her pull out of the motel parking lot in the pre-dawn hours yesterday.

It seems I shall have to bury myself "catching up" on my reading assignment, but know I had more fun than a body ought to. :) It was a delight to meet the birthday girl, Jerri, our token left coaster, and the very funny Denise. It's truly special when people get together and instantly fall into such an easy rapport, spiced with fits of laughter.

I am glad you are home, Martie. As the helpmeet always says, "why would anyone want to go to a hospital, let alone stay in one? That's were all the germs are!". Can't argue with the logic. Take good care of you.

Later!

o

Back from the dentist for the "final fitting;" the plans for a few hours in the garden before the heat have been foiled w/ storms, heavy shower, altho I dont think that as bad as Deanne's (ugh, poor Deanne wonderland) and it's going to be on and off all day -- guess that means I really have to do the laundry, think of grocery shopping (yes, Jerri, I am w/ you on the immediate diet event -- I somehow managed to gain weight instead of losing thru the buckets of sweat we did lose, LOL) and no potting up in the new pots, bummer. Maybe it means I should sort and upload IU photos, uh? I'll wait for someone else to start a separate thread.....

Glad to hear that Martie is home where she wants to be and all went well; Denise, those are terrific photos and I love the fantasy porch, altho I think mine might be configured a bit differently, but it's way cool.

I think I was just blotto yesterday -- too much fun, sun, driving, laughing, etc.... trying not to think of reality of going to work tomorrow -- how come these IUs go soooo quickly??????? Not Fair! We should be allowed to savor each minute.

Hey, T - we thought of you and each idyller during the event - hoping next year ya'll can make it wherever it ends up......

Ok, now it's come for cup of java; had to wait a bit for cement to set, LOL ....

--Cindy

P.S. - Im dying to figure out what clematis this is - it was labeled a T3, but no name.....

o

I'm still in the land of the living but I have a very low energy level. I've been battling this intestinal thing for a week now. It's mostly just an upset stomach and little appetite at this point. I'm glad that I didn't have IU plans and have to cancel - that would have been more of a bummer than not going in the first place.

I'm am plugging along and going to work. My boss had it much worse and ended up in the hospital for several days.

We were able to get to the nursery over the weekend, where I picked out another arbor to replace the one that I returned for crappy workmanship. It will go in the potager for the grape vines.

We received over 2" of rain this past weekend, which has the garden and the gardener smiling (oh, the farmer too)

It sounds the the gathering was a huge success. I'm enjoying the pictures and wondering if I could make a mini succelent worm for Kenzie's garden. She would love it. Maybe it will work some time for us to make another IU. I hope so.

Martie, I hope you are feeling more perky each day.

Have a great day and stay cool!
Michelle

o

Deanne I *can* smell 'Tarragona'~mine is in bloom too: ) I have been astounded at the height of mine-at least five ft tall.I've been watching mine like a hawk because I'm having lots of antlered rodent problems and I'll cry like a baby if the deer find it. I'm hoping to score more cheap lilies toward the end of the season(I found Tarragona for 5 bucks last year).

Saucy I can only imagine what 'musical' selections your Idyll band performed ; )

I need to go mow the lawn and hopefully get some pics.

Have a great day!

~Babs

o

Well, what a happy group! Sounds like IU5 was a complete success that even a heat wave couldn't put a damper on. Welcome back.

And a post from Martie! So happy to hear you are home and all is going according to expectations. Miss your posts. :-)

Monique, I hope your plants recover. That has to be disappointing to come home to. I have done that to myself a time or two, not paying enough attention to how much rain we were getting.

Deanne...you have had a time of it with all this weather this year! But your garden still looks better than mine....lol. We had a ton of rain that came down in torrents too and some of the plants are leaning all over their neighbors. I am just happy I don't have to drag hoses around.
Weeds are growing like gangbusters though.

Loving all the photos...I do like that Echinacea photo you took Kathy. V...I will have to look for that variety...such huge cones.

Is that a succulent caterpillar? It reminds me of a photo Mary posted from a previous IU of a dragon which impressed me quite a bit. I wonder how many people it took to create that?! [I see a worm is another interpretation...lol]

Saucy..nice photos! How did you like your new camera?

So ladies, waiting to hear stories. :-) Or is it....'What happens in New York, stays in New York.' [g]

Denise, I am confused...did you go to IU5? I thought I saw someone post you made it home safe. Mitch's photos were excellent! Very colorful outfits and that first photo an action shot with lights behind...not easy to get that so clear and crisp. Tell him great job!

I am in love with that porch!! We don't have a porch and miss the one we had at many of our houses growing up. We had a very long one on the side of a house we had once that reminds me of that one, but not nearly as nice and no tub for sure! I would be happy to live in that porch...lol.

Michelle...SO sorry you are still feeling sick. Your boss must have gotten dehydrated? Must have been a doozy of a bug. Hope you start to feel more like yourself soon. No fun having to push yourself back to work when you're not quite back to normal.

Cindy...what a gorgeous photo of that clematis! Just love it!

I am not quite back to feeling as good as I was and the sleep routine is getting old but I am just trying to ignore it and let it work itself out. So another quiet day planned here. It is overcast and cooler this morning after buckets of rain the last few days here and there. I have the A/C off for a change and the house fan going for a little while to get some fresh air.

Glad to see everyone home and looking forward to more photos.

pm2

o

I should be at the grocery store but I'm mentally still Idylling ! Just a quick post here this morning. I started some separate threads for IU pics.

Jerri, I wonder how many calories one burns when laughing ? Not enough I guess ! Maybe Pizza, fried zuchiini and gin off set the losses?

Deanne, the bugs were in the childrens garden which I bravely ventured into the last hour we were there-it was up behind the gift shop. It was empty at that hour, not a child to be seen (thank goodness), thats where I saw the cardinal.

Hi Babs and T ! Start saving your change, bet you could have Air fare by next July...

Ok gotta get to the store.. more later

Kathy in Napa

o

PM, the Denise we refer to is Saucy's very cool friend who came along with her ...

Kathy

o

Someone came to IU5 very prepared:

SunnyD = my friend Denise. Sorry for the confusion! SunnyD reports a good time was had and that I wasn't too bad of a roomie.

Michelle, I'm sorry you've had such a rough time of it....glad you're on the mend. I smiled over the happy farmer :)

Oh, and SunnyD reports that she saw the "Temptations" on some of the instrument cases, but was sure it wasn't the Temptations and then exclaimed, "The Temptations saw me in my pajamas!" LOL.....

Okay, I'm trying to find some time between dinner/cleanup/bedtime to upload and add to the threads (thanks Kathy!).....

Saucy
(glad to see Martie check in!!!)

o

It looks like a good time was had by all at the IU! I thought at first the pictures Saucy posted from the Climbery must have been at gbs I was skimming fast. Ditto the deep blue clematis on the cedar fence that Cindy posted. Clearly, clematis and cedar rails are a necessary combination! I wonder where I could put some cedar rails here. I liked the worms and frog. It would be neat to have the space and patience and time to build/grow something like that. Ive also got that E. Vintage Wine now on my wish list!

Martie Im glad your procedure went well and youre feeling reasonably good. Youll be back in the garden in no time by the sounds of it.

Brenda exciting news for all of you re the ring etc. Randy and I didnt bother with an engagement ring one was on offer but I'm a very practical person and preferred to put the money towards savings for a house. Randy was a bit disappointed I think, although he agreed re house having priority. He kept suggesting a ring as anniversary present for a lot of years so we finally got me a ring a few years ago (although I think I disappointed him again by choosing an aquamarine instead of a diamond - or emerald (my birthstone). But the sister of someone in the MBA classes I was taking at the time was a jewelry-maker so she made our wedding rings. Theyre not as fancy as the ones in gbs link but we like them.

Babs that lightening strike sounded scary! I hope the computer wasnt damaged and no other appliances either.

Michelle I hope you get rid of the intestinal thing soon that doesnt sound like its been much fun!

We had a bit over 3" of rain from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon but nothing was damaged like some of you have had happen. The garden looks happy!

The porch picture was very attractive. I like porches very much and spend a lot of time on ours. The back porch has a comfy lounge chair and Misty and I hang out there together a lot. Misty knows that sit outside means time for her to run to the patio door, while wait for Randy means go to the front door to go sit on the chairs on the front porch.

A couple of years ago I planted what was supposed to be Niobe and Miss Bateman clematises on the iron arbour. I wanted a red and white combination there. The white one turned out to be purple and Im not sure the red one was actually Niobe. Both came down with wilt two years running so we dug them out last fall and planted honeysuckle. But guess what popped up this year again!

So far, no signs of wilt so knock-on-wood maybe coming back from whatever roots we missed has been good for them I dont like the purple one but dont know how to get rid of just that one. I like the red one, which seems very vigorous this year.

Speaking of vigorous the Chinese wisteria tree/bush has a very substantial presence this year! Its doing a nice summer bloom this year, thanks to regular pruning. When I took this picture, I noticed it looks a bit bare on the ground under it. There are things there but have not filled in as I would like. So I bought a couple of Midnight Rose heuchera today to plant under there. I will likely have to move the daylily so they don't clash.... The daylily color isn't working with the wisteria, so it needs moving anyway.

One of the brugs I bought last year at the farmers market (after falling under the bad influence of people like Deanne :- ) is blooming now. I dont particularly like the color it doesnt go with anything in the yard Im afraid. The other one is supposed to be yellow but it doesnt have any flowerbuds yet. I suspect it needs another year of growing but Im looking for new homes for both of them

o

Drat - the routine of home & work has again assumed its rhythm. We all need bumper stickers that read, "I'd rather be idylling".

Michelle, I hope you're feeling better. That seems to be one nasty bug - are you sure it isn't food poisoning? Been hitting the jalapeos lately? Hope you mend soon.

Eden - a book, a dog, a garden - what more could a young girl need? A great photo!

And I've neglected to say Happy Birthday to Jerri, so this one's for you:

Not much else new here. I spent my time showing the pics to DD instead of editing them. Perhaps manana?

V.

o

So, what happens when you see several fabu-fabu gardens and then you come home and look at yours ??? Always a work in progress.
On day one we descended en masse (three carloads) on a garden center outside of a small village on our way back to the hotel from the Climbery. It was reminiscent of the tour bus full of little old ladies pulling up at the casino. Deanne had her cart full in no time flat ! Very nice little garden center it was too, spotless and beautifully maintained. Someone remind me of the name of the place !

I was just about comatose last night, sat down with my Wave Hill book with the ball game on, saw about 3 pitches, never even opened the book and was asleep in the chair.
I did get all sweaty laundry done today, grocery shopping, bills paid and everything watered-lots of deadheading too. The garden is entering into the summer doldrums. Thank goodness for zinnias , rudbekias and cosmos. They cover a multitude of sins.

Brenda, congrats on the happenings in your family ! Per your request , we had several glasses of wine for you !

Eden , I loved your succulent collection and the way you have displayed it. It reminds me of the collection we saw and Stonecrop-Cindy posted a pic of it over on the IU5 Day One thread. Your garden looks really lush and beautiful. I was at our farmers market this morning and lo and behold there was a L. Silver Edge. I came that close to buying it, but resisted.

Lol Marie, if I had a barn like that it would be pretty full too. I think your pergolas are awesome. Do you plant any late summer stuff for after the Clematis are done? Youd have loved the climbery, she had several beautiful pergolas all built with rough timbers like yours.

Denise, nice porch pic, though my version would be screenless ! It was unbelievably green back there greener even than the PNW this time of year. I was really interested in the climate dynamics. It doesnt seem to cool off at night much-almost like coastal tropical Mexico in summer, hot, humid and lush. The most interesting thing though(explained by Chelone) was that the coast does not moderate the temps the way it does here. No marine layer ! Ive visited the east coast several times but always on business and did nothing but schlep around from a hotel to a cab to a convention center, and not much chance to get out and see the lay of the land.
Mitches pics are wonderful by the way.

Chelone..No, I did not see the flashing lights ! Damn ! Id have guessed it was you though, I dont think anyone else would have been up that early-which was by the way 3am Pacific time. No wonder I fell asleep in the chair.

Things are looking mighty fine around Casa de Woody !

PM, I hope you can solve the sleep dilemma. Maybe you have a different biological clock and should just sleep when your body tells you to- 4 hours at night and 4 hours during the day. My DS has been a night owl since he was an infant (my DH and I used to refer to him as Dracula) and he works nights now which is perfect for his internal biological clock.

Michelle, hope you are feeling better :-)

Cindy, I think I took a pic of that same Clematis . By the way, thanks for doing the chauffer stint on Sunday. I think we did pretty good for being GPS-less !

Ok, thats all for me , tomorrow its back to reality.

Kathy in Napa

P.S. Thanks bug and PM for taking the time to chat with my DS. I wondered who bumped that thread back up and what a surprise see it was Kyle ! I will explain to him the Idyll 100 post protocol in case he decides to post again

o
RE: Idyll #390 - Plant ID request

Oops, I meant to post this for an ID- this was in the hot color island bed at Wave Hill. Anyone know what it is ? It was about 3'x3' in size.

IU5 102

o

Morning all,

We received another rainstorm last night but I think it was only a half an inch or so and not the biblical deluge of the day before. I've not been outside yet today so I don't know if there were any more casualties.

Michelle, I sure hope you are feeling better. Like V. I was wondering if it was some kind of food poisoning also. That's awful and a long time to be dealing with a stomach bug. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Kathy, that is some kind of Celosia spicata and a really terrific annual. I grew it last year and it looked great until frost.

Woody beautiful photos! Too funny about the re-appearing clematis. ONe never knows with those plants. I've had them disappear from wilt for a couple years then pop back up. Your wisteria is lovely! I really like that it does a summer re-bloom, something mine never does.

PM no kidding about those weeds. I don't normally have a problem but this year the crabgrass is germinating and growing at light speed.

Kathy,I already have all those plants potted up. I hate having unplanted things around this time of the year.

Babs, that must have been a hair raising experience with that lightening strike. Yikes, that happened to me once and taught me to keep my bod in the house when the thunder is booming too close.

V. beautiful pic of that lotus.

OK time to run, deadhead the daylilies and get downstairs to paint. Have a great day all,
Deanne

o

Would you believe, that finally had a good night sleep working....in a deep sleep...and the phone rings at 3am. Don't you hate that? Your heart starts pounding knowing it has to be some crisis if someone is calling you at that hour. My DH's Mom is in assisted living, so that was our first thought. Hello? Hello? No one there. No caller ID...restricted. Four calls in a row. *sigh* We both tried to get back to sleep but no such luck.

Kathy... thanks for the ID on the 'second' Denise and the sleep suggestion. Your plan though would net me two hours more than I sleep on my best night. [g] We also have one child who has always been a night owl to some degree, but his occupation is definitely daytime, so he does a good job of getting into the habit of those hours but occasionally, he still struggles with it. My sleep will work itself out eventually, it always does. No need for thanks for talking to Kyle...he is a very interesting conversational partner. You should be thanking him for talking to us. lol What is better than talking to young-er people? :-)

Whose sneaker is that? LOL

Woody..... I'm with you, I would just love to be able to create even a very much smaller version of that worm or frog. I enjoyed the vision of you and Misty 'talking' to each other and hanging out on the porch. :-) I really like that Wisteria Bush! It is looking very nice this time of year...bushy and not showing any of the supports. Is that Elephant Ears with your Brugs? Petunia in the pot by the stairs? I do enjoy 'mono' pots.

Yes...very scary Babs, about the lightening. We had a lightening strike in our area over the past few days...see link below.

And that will about do it for me this morning...

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 people struck by lightening @ Boston park

o

Good Morning, Good to see that all IU5 attendees made it home safely and had a great time! I can say that attending IUs is one of my all time favorite things. You just couldn't find a better group of friends to hang out with. I'm hoping that next year I'll be able to be there.

We've been having rains here too, but nothing like yours Deanne. Sorry to hear about the storm damage. That's always so discouraging. Here I think I've only had to get out the sprinkler a couple of times all season. Even pot watering hasn't been bad. None of those days when you have to water 2-3 times per day yet.

Brad built me the shelves for my succulent collection. Makes it easier to see all of those little pots when they're on multiple levels. Denise, thanks for the offer on the a. mediopicta. I'd love to have a pup when they're ready. I mailordered a big, beautiful one late last season and it quickly rotted away on me. Don't know why, I've never had that happen with any of my other agaves :(

My mom and dad are on their way home. They left Houston yesterday. I'm glad they were leaving before Dolly's arrival. They were in Arkansas last night. It'll be good to see them. Not much else to report from MI today. Just spending the day tending to Bella and the gardens.

Really nice to hear from Babs and Monique.

Martie, glad you're recouping well.

Michelle, feeling better I hope!

Have a good one everyone, Eden

o

V, the lotus is exquisite. No jalapens for me, and I never care to think it might be food poisoning when it was food that I cooked. LOL DH wasnt affected either, but then he does have a cast iron stomach.

Kathy, I believe you asked about my urn. It isnt concrete, but a pretty good imitation. I have 2 of them. I bought them for use at my DDs wedding reception and they nicely went into the garden after that. Deanne is right on the celosia. I think its probably Purple Flamingo Feather. I have grown it for several years from seed after collecting from plants that I purchased. Its a great plant, nice foliage and makes a good cut flower and filler for me. Ive included a picture from a couple of years ago. Last year I had some with rudbeckia hirta and it made a nice fall combo. I'll have seeds this fall if anyone wants any.

I believe we saw E. Summer Wine at IU3 at a nursery. I havent seen it since. It is a beauty though.

We poured footings for the arbor last night and I hauled more mulch into the Secret Garden. Everything that isnt a planted area is getting cardboard and mulch. It was just such a weedy area before that it will need to be mulched for sometime to keep it under control. The marigold walk is starting to bloom and the gourd tepee is really growing. Ill have to get some new pictures.

Later
Michelle

Purple Flamingo Feather celosia:

o

Hi!
Last year we had a different type of celosia which I enjoyed but didn't save seed...

Someone asked what Orienpets are. The ones I know are a cross between Oriental Lily hybrids and Lilium henryii. They are large and vigorous, are powerfully perfumed, and bloom in July and August.

My day is one of those when everything is sidetracked. Is the mower being returned? Is the dishwasher man coming to install new plumbing? Will he find the place? Then there's the friend who spent 2 hours on the phone sharing problems... I really was hoping to get to exercise by 9:30 but here it is after 1PM and that hasn't been possible.

It is wet and raining every half hour and everything is droopy. I want to get weeding done. Honestly! Well "done" will never happen.

In case I sound like a whiner...it is cool and pleasant. Not even 65F!

o

Hi everyone! Sounds like Bug and I are having the same kind of day. I went to sleep last night with thoughts of getting up early and weeding and mulching. Wasn't to be. My phone woke me up, the contractor was on his way with a roofing crew. I didn't expect them to be coming so soon, but I never turn down willing workers. A few plants had to be moved, and a few details hammered out. Phone rang again, a friend's Dad is in the hospital and he wanted to give me an update and get some moral support. With one thing and another, it got to be 5:00, and I hadn't pulled any weeds. Oh, well, I imagine they'll be there tomorrow. If they're not, WOO HOO!

Babs, SCARY about the lightning!! We sit on the porch and watch storms all the time..yikes!

Michelle, sure hope you get over your bug soon! What a DRAG. Being sick enough to be miserable, but not sick enough to stay home in bed and be coddled....phooey! 'course, I don't know how it is at your house, but around here, Mom has to be pretty under the weather for there to be much coddling ;) Glad to hear you got rain..has the corn there pollinated yet? Ours is tasseling now, and it sounds like we'll have some sweet corn next week.

That porch picture is awesome! We won't have anything that cool after our investment, but our concrete slab with a roof is a mighty pleasant place to hang out.

LOL @ that sneaker...I LOVE it!

Woody-I think having your rings made is awesome. Our wedding bands are plain gold, and I love mine. It's shows some wear and a scratch here and there, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The neatest thing I ever saw was my step-aunt's band. They had been married so long, her ring was worn almost completely through on palm side. It got bad enough that she had to have it repaired, and she cried because she didn't WANT it good as new.

Kathy, I get the "IU garden blues" after I come in here and look at pics, then look at my gardens. I think gardeners are their own worst critics :) Thanks for not holding me back to one glass of wine, lol! Trust me, had I been there, I wouldn't have restrained myself either.

PM2-I imagine you would have LIKED to have a word or two with your mystery caller. Good that it wasn't bad news, but still...

Bug, I like that celosia! Do you recall the variety?

We had a good time yesterday at DB's house. Two of my sisters, an aunt and my DD attended. DD juggled a vacation day to attend, so the whole thing turned into a discussion of wedding plans. This DB and DD have always been really close, and it just about brought me to tears to watch the two of them. Good food, good wine, good company and flowers...IS there anything else?
DB's dog, Pearl. A spoiled little diva if ever there was one

I come from a long line of good eaters :) I'm in the back with DB

And, the happy bride to be with my DS. DD is yet to be fattened up :)

That's it for now. As promised, auto settings and point and shoot :) I didn't get a chance to call and get in the photo class, but it's on my list for tomorrow!
Have a good evening one and all!
Brenda

o

Hi Everyone! I want to say Happy Birthday to Michelle, Eden, and Jerri! And whomever else I might have missed in my trying to catch up. I have not taken any pics of my garden at all this year, but the wishes are heartfelt regardless.
I had to stop in to say that it is so nice to see the pics of happy idyllers frolic through the flowers. I am glad you were all able to get together, and fun had by all.

I have been busy playing with grandbabies, helping Skip, putting in a potager, pulling weeds, weeds, and more weeds. Last week my mom, my great aunt and my sisters came over for a little garden walk. My lilies are blooming, and they do make an impact for non gardening types. Except my sister, who had no interest at all, but went along for the visit. My other sister stayed in the house. She said she had already seen everything, and didnt' want to go out in the heat:) It was fun. The potager is getting off the ground very late though. I put the plants in the ground in the morning, and by the time Skip had a minute that evening to put up a wire fence that is going inside the picket fence, ground hogs ate all of my watermelon, squash, etc flowers. Soooo no produce this year, since that was the second time they did it. Once prior to going in the ground, then a second bloom, and I had a hope. I will be ready for next year right off the bat.

We are thinking of going to Buffalo tommorrow for the Garden Walk Friday and Saturday. Skip and Dev are going too. If anyone is going, and would like to connect up, let me know. I will probably go to the gardens on Friday and then take Dev to Niagra Falls Saturday. Tentative at least.

Sue, love the new 'do. Deanne, hope your plants have recovered from the storm. Lightening struck a Black Walnut tree in my yard two weeks ago. It ran down the tree, caught our storage shed on fire. You can see a strip of bark that was peeled right down the tree. We happening to be looking out the window at the time because the storm was so fierce, so we saw/heard it almost immediately. At first I thought it was steam from the heat, but then it turned a dark gray color, like a cloud, then black, and we knew it was smoke. Skip was out with a garden hose, no shirt, and bare feet. No way was I going out there, and I told him and Dev they were crazy to go in the storm, but of course they didn't listen to me. Fire Dept showed up very quickly though, but the shed was pretty much toast. We had some things in there, but nothing that can't be replaced. No biggie, I am glad no one was out there when it happened.

Must run, someone is calling my name...

Take care!
D

o

Wendy! Your observations spurred big changes today, LOL! I picked up some more plant stands and moved my deck around. My brug is GORGEOUS! It's called Pink Favorite and with the thick tropical air, it is perfuming the deck! Now I'm going to move it closer to my table and treat "her" like the goddess she is, LOL!

And then out front, I bought E. Ruby Giant to replace one of the E. Sunrises, or 'sets who is moving to the back to be with more purples :) Also picked up E. Coconut Lime (or is it the other way around?) and 4 more perennials...all on sale! And then a rescue for 2 bucks from the grocery: Columbine. Oh, and the online purchase of paulownia tomentosa - Princess Tree - for SunnyD. If it doesn't live, it was only 10 bucks to have 2 shipped.

I went completely insane today.

I also designed an entrance to my wooded area to hide the canoe storage area - it has its roots from the one that V. pointed out to me at Stonecrop (will add picture as soon as I can).

PM, those kinds of phone calls are so irritating.

Brenda, Yipee on the new SIL to be! And additions! Your camera was the one I almost bought, but ultimately the decision was left to my husband since he is far pickier than I :) I think Jerri and you have the same camera now! You should trade secrets :)

I feel like I'm never gonna catch up at home. I haven't even started to wash camping clothes....I've been going non stop in the office. Seems it's getting time to move this operation to an off site location and start thinking about a real office person :) That probably won't happen too soon, but soon enough to begin the planning stages....which means new budgets and extra work for me....LE SIGH :) I am thankful for the bread it brings to our table, but I want to know when it will pay for a gardener to execute my visions, LOL!!!

I'm obviously delirious with hunger...gotta go eat, then back to upload more pix to picturetrail :) No Kathy, I haven't even read the directions yet, but I am working on something called aperture tonight as I read my "how-to" manual.

Saucy

o

Sounds like Saucy is opening up to her camera's possibilities.

Brenda, great photos. So nice to see you! DD looks like a long-limbed beauty.

I've sorted all my photos and edited all except the NYBG ones. I will try to get a couple posted tonight on the separate threads.

Yesterday I stopped at Menards (Midwest-based version of Home Cheapo) to look for some crushed stone, and instead ended up with a Crocosima 'Lucifer' for $3.99. I'm already wondering why I stopped at one...

Chelone, I am in outside contractor h*** right now. The crew (that was coming in April) showed up while I was gone. They've trampled the baptisia, the pot display on the deck is total chaos, and the deck lights have been broken. But of course, it's only Wednesday... And something extremely nasty was left in the weeds, and Mystic found it and rolled in it. It was not a pleasant evening.

Drema, good to hear from you.Very frightening about the lightening strike! It could have been so much worse.

I'll post this and try to get some pics up.

V.

o

A brief hello to all this evening, as I still bask in the afterglow of IU5. We have mild temps here, and it's already Thursday tommorow ! What could be better ? (Friday) . I played with my new Ebay reconditioned camera this evening,and wishing it had arrived before the trip. It takes way better macro shots than mine, although I still think I may have some screwy settings going on there.

Thanks for all the IDs on the Celosia- I need to give that one a try for sure.

Nice to see Dema check in and a group of pics from our Brenda.

Well, I'd best be off to close up shop around here. Later !

Kathy in Napa

o

Good morning all from soggy NH,

Well we got at least another inch or so of rain yesterday (could be more) after one and a half inches of rain on Tuesday and the two inches of rain on Monday. Now the weather persons are predicting the possibility of two to four inches of rain today!!!!???? Good grief! WE are now in a flood watch situation. I dont remember ever getting this much rain in July in a week before. When the storms come through its like a tropical deluge. Thank heavens this weather held off until we were home from IU5. That would have been a soggy and unpleasant weekend to say the least. Id rather deal with heat than tropical downpours. As one would expect the gardens are a soggy mess at the moment and the crab grass is growing at light speed, however the banana, colocasias and brugmansias are also growing at light speed.

It is lily time in the gardens here with most of the daylilies blooming and the Orientals and Orienpets doing their scented magic. The end of July is like an explosion of color here. I confess, its almost gaudy but I LOVE it! LOL

Kathy, definitely try that celosia. Its a winner. I added several plants of it to the borders in August last year to fill the gaps from the fading perennials and I loved it.

Saucy, pics of the rearranged deck and the Goddess Brugmansia please? Sounds like IU5 energized you. Me too!

Drema, how great to hear from you. What a scare about the lightning strike setting the shed on fire. I cant believe Skip was out in the storm after the strike trying to put the fire out. Lightening actually does strike twice in the same place. ~~ Bummer about the woodchuck damage. They are just terrors in the garden. My DB and SIL have a real problem out in the country with them and even though theyve gotten their veggie garden completely surrounded with fencing and chicken wire dug in the chucks still get in.

Brenda, terrific pics of the family. Your DD is a beauty! Oh to be that slim!

Bug, sorry for your sidetracked day. Must be so frustrating when there is so much to do in the garden.

Michelle, hope you are all better now. ~~ Does that celosia come true from seed? How difficult are they to germinate? ~~~ Im looking forward to new pics of the Secret Garden.

Eden, when are your parents going to get home? ~~ Thats a bummer that you lost that agave. Im having problems with my tuberous and Rex begonias at present. Its just been too wet! Ive been quite careful no to over water and they were doing really well but I noticed yesterday that a couple of the tuberous ones are rotting, these are plants I over wintered too, and the Rex begonias are all developing holes in the leaves. I think it just rained so hard it drilled the holes in the leaves and then with the continued wet the holes are turning black at the edges. Oh well, it seems there are always casualties in the garden that you cant anticipate.

PM, yes indeed I do hate those phone calls in the middle of the night. So sorry!

OK Im off to dead those mush puppies (daylilies) then spend a day painting. Have a good one all.

Deanne

o

Yahoo Idylls!!

We just arrived back after a fabulous time in DC. David's course was awesome and we had so much fun with Ruth and the little ones we extended our stay and only arrived back yesterday. I've taken a sneak peek at the Idyllunion photos and am green with envy. It's feels strange to be looking at the goings on from the outside, but love seeing as good a time as ever appears to have been had by all. The gardens are incredible. Did you decide on a destination for next year(MI)? If so, I'm booking my ticket now!!

Tonight SIL arrives for a visit from CA, joined by our neice on Friday so I need to get myself into cleaning and bed making mode. My garden went into rampant growth while we were gone so a little de-jungling is also required. However, its raining now and I have a few ginormous piles of laundry to process so its off to the salt mines.

Talk to you all later

Mary

o

Arrrgghh!!!!! What the heck is going on with this blasted weather. So now not only are we getting the biblical deluges predicted they are coming in with 50mph wind gusts! You can just imagine the kind of damage that is doing. I've been darting out from cover to pick up one container then another gets blown down. I did LOL because one of the pots on a wheeled dolly was blown four feet across the patio. Good grief! OK back to damage control.
Deanne

o

Oh Deanne, that's horrible. I need to come back and help with container duty. ;)
I'm at work today after the 'pain management' procedures. Unfortunately it gets worse before it gets better. LOL
It will take all day just to catch up with email.

Jerri

o

At 7PM tonight give your dog or kitty a cuddle and an extra treat in appreciation of how much they mean to you and what they add to your quality of life. Katie will be moving on to something better right around that time. She's been eating tripe all week, having a bully stick every single afternoon, and just inside from hot dogs with her afternoon break. She thinks she's already in heaven, but feels like living hell to me :( I have to let her go before she melts again, and goes out in pain. She's going out with some sparkle still in her eyes but not quite making it to her 7th birthday.

(Adding this here so I don't drag down the new thread. But knowing what a pet loving bunch you are, I need to share.)

Here is a link that might be useful: PS Katie

o

O, Cynthia.........................
so many hugs and fond memories to guide you both.

o

Katie, I never met you but I wish I had had that privilege. I know that you meant a lot to Cynthia and that you will be twirling like mad when you see her again.

Love, V.

o

Cynthia,

I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking of you and Katie. You've given her a wonderful life. Hugs to you both.

Eden

o

I am so sorry, Cynthia. Nothing in the world is harder than the decision you've made. I've done it several times and it never gets easier.

I will definitely deliver a beating to Wrecks at 7-ish.

o

Cynthia,
I'm so sorry. I know she means so much to you. Just know that you made her life a joy.

Hugs from Michelle & Jaden

o

Hugs from Saucy, too. You are such a kind person to see and nurture Katie's sparkle! I am thinking of you both tonight.

Saucy

o

Gosh Cynthia...I agree with Eden...you have been wonderful to Katie. A dog couldn't have asked for more and I am sure that you are making the best decision for her. I feel sad with you and wish it were not necessary. Thanks for sharing her with us. I have sincerely enjoyed all the stories and photos of her. A beautiful girl!! :-) :-)

o

Cynthia and furkids,
I am so sorry. There is not a word I could say that would help at this time. There are many Idylls who are shedding tears with you. Hugs to you all.

Jerri

o

Cynthia,
So sad to hear about Katie. You were lucky to find each other, and you know that these past couple of years she has had a ball with you! I especially remember the birthday costumes, and the many other outfits you so lovingly made with style and panache. Adorable.
Drema

o

Cynthia, I'm so terribly sorry to hear your sad news. Hugs to you and all your furry family. Katie was well loved.

Deanne

o

Cynthia, I'm so sorry about Katie. You were lucky to have each other the last few years.
Monique

o

Although it was only bandwidth carrying Katie's irrepressible charm to me, it was easy to see what you two meant to each other and how you struggled to keep her comfortable. You are both adorable creatures. Peace to you both...

o

Welcome Katie!

Your new friend,

Zak

o

Hugs to Cynthia, and peaceful journey to Katie.

Kathy in Napa

o

Say hi to Charlotte for me Whirly Twirly Rooing Girl! You've been a delight to Cynthia and all of us.
'bug

o

((Cynthia)) - Katie was such a pleasure to 'see' even from this distance so I'm sure there's a gaping hole in your life at the moment.

o

Cynthia, I hope it makes you smile to think of Katie wearing a lovely hat, twirling and frolicking with Zak, Charlotte, and the many other beloved pets that have gone before her. Thinking of you today.

-W

o

((Cynthia)) I'm so very sorry. You and Katie were both blessed to have had each other, and I have enjoyed getting to know her through you. I can just imagine her hooking up with all the other Idyll pets and sharing stories about their crazy humans. My Guido and a host of others will look out for her. Be at peace, Katie.
Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here