Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Open Days - York, ME

saucydog
13 years ago

It was a great day to be on the coast of Maine as it was hot, hot, hot and any sea breeze was welcome. Of course it was just plain hot there, too.

The first house had been in the family for 5 generations, right on the ocean.

{{gwi:165542}}

{{gwi:165544}}

Woody, the wisteria was reblooming!

{{gwi:165545}}

I loved the greenhouse/conservatory and want one for myself:

{{gwi:165546}}

The next house was my favorite. The front fit in with the landscape and the back was open to the salt marsh, which was a wildlife preserve.

{{gwi:165548}}

That little path opened up to this front entry:

{{gwi:165549}}

The garden path leading you to the back:

{{gwi:165550}}

{{gwi:165551}}

{{gwi:165552}}

And Woody, look at the metal work they've constructed to allow them to grow wisteria on the house! I'll bet this is gorgeous in full bloom:

{{gwi:165553}}

Please check out the link to take a tour of the gardens we saw on Open Days! Braveboat Harbor makes an appearance, too: York Open Days

Saucy

Comments (11)

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Great pics Saucy! Love that hosta border and the flagstone entry. Can't get over that wisteria railing! Must be out of this world in bloom! Thanks for sharing!
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I always want to know about "staff" on these tours. I just can't seem to get it all going on my own! I mean, don't their toilets overflow just as people start to arrive and they are finishing the deadheading?

That first home is a fine one to my eyes!
    And the photography, Saucy, is just grand too!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

OOH... I would have loved to be on that tour with you! Were these estates- i.e. with a garden staff? Keeping that wisteria on the railing pruned would be a significant undertaking. I hope they have one of those lift thingies that you see indoor window-washers use in the lobbies/atriums office towers! ! I wouldn't want to maintain that wisteria from a ladder.

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can only guess, but I think the first place has a staff, the second place was a two man show. Funny, one of the gardeners is a t.v. personality here and as he walked toward me, I thought, "hmm...I know him from somewhere..." and I almost asked him how we knew each other. Luckily I figured it out before I embarassed myself. He's a news anchor.

The wisteria was very neat and tidy. It wrapped around the side of the house held away from the shingles by about a foot.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

That TV personality should have interviewed you about leaf casting and bee keeping!!!

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Great photos and houses, Saucy - I love the 2nd home too myself -- that hosta walk and how inviting the paths are w/ the foliage and colors. Terrific.

Had to believe that this time last year we were in cold, cold rainy weather, do you recall? it was only on the last day that it finally got "hot" ... what a difference a year makes.

Thanks for sharing - wow, terrific.

-Cindy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, personally, I would take either of those two houses ;)
    I love the first-quintessential Maine to me!

Those stones at the entry of the second one are huge! Now, I am going to check out the link. Thanks, Saucy.

Oh, and I agree with 'bug that you should be interviewed by that homeowner. Do you have a small leaf you could take to him as a thank you for the wonderful tour? Just think of all the people who would want their own Saucy leaf-the next million $ business!

Cynthia

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Looks grand Saucy ! Your fave house almost looks California-ish to me. You had your filter on the camera right ? No washed out colors at all. And how fun to see new pics of Braveboat Harbor !

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

What a wonderful tour. Lots of interesting plantings and hardscape not to mention the ocean. I can't imagine having a garden by the ocean. I'd love to have the greenhouse/conservatory. It looks like lunch was divine.

• peaceofmind
    13 years ago

I'm a big fan of the author, Mae Sarton. She lived and wrote in York the last twenty years of her life. Her descriptions of the area made the town come alive for me. I loved the pictures. What a beautiful place.

• flowerluvr
    13 years ago

Awesome!! Love that wisteria shot-you're quite the photographer :) I'm off to check out your link. I can't seem to get interested in housework today. For some reason, I'd rather look at flowers. Go figure ;)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz