Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

For the 'land locked'

chelone
16 years ago

Here are some shots from yesterday. We walked out on the bridge to watch the tall ships come up river. Then we went down on the dock to get some shots.

The Prince William is a training ship with an international crew of about 50 teenagers. The Cap't. is Irish, the ship is British. Note the kids up on the yardarms!

{{gwi:165622}}
{{gwi:165623}}

The Spirit of Bermuda was distinctive because of the hull color; the smallest of them, it is a very pretty craft:

{{gwi:165624}}

The Pride of Baltimore is just beautiful! We watched it come in on Thursday and then go out to join the parade up river yesterday.

{{gwi:165625}}

This is the Netherlands, how is this for some maritime "scenery"? It's very unusual to see any boats come up river under sail. The current is the 2nd. fastest in the country and the boats were buckin' the tide yesterday morning.

{{gwi:165626}}

Here is the United States Coast Guard. Note the machine gun on the bow of this inflatable... .

{{gwi:165627}}

And the tug is one from the Navy yard. It's smaller than the Moran tugs. I love the way they use the water cannons to provide a bit of "festivity". The Cap't. of the tug is really funny guy.

{{gwi:165628}}

This is the Gundalow. These barges were the workhorses of the river and Great Bay when wind and tide provided the power. This is a replica, part of Strawbery Banke, and it routinely provides a floating history lesson for area schoolchildren. I missed the opportunity to get a shot of it with the sail up. The sail is huge and wasn't up long as there was tremendous amount of activity on the water and the tide was really running, making navigation more difficult.

{{gwi:165629}}

Comments (14)

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

What a treat to see these pictures this morning! Thanks Chelone. We have lots of boats around here and they actually do alot of sailing but nothing that size. They are really something to see.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

We're not land locked here with the Great Lakes but I enjoyed seeing your beautiful ships. They are really something. And I love the tug! Thanks Chelone.

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Some great shots! Thanks Chelone. If the tall ships are in Portsmouth it must be a zoo right now. Such a pretty city-I think a day trip may be in order some time soon.

Sue

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Awesome pics, Chelone-thanks for sharing them!
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Phew! Thanks for cooling me off! Lovely sight.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Thanks Chelone. I am definitely "land locked" and love seeing such scenes. If I lived in such an area I would spend a lot of time viewing the ships.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Very cool Chelone..I grew up a few miles from the ocean and I miss it's proximity to this day.I can tell you we never had sights like those in coastal LA ! So glad you took these and shared them with us.

Kathy in Napa

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks Chelone! Very nice tour and took me down memory lane :) That water looks especially good on this muggy day.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I just drove by on 326/236 or something, LOL! There was such a long line to see. I want to visit your workplace, Chelone, as it reminds me of being in the Navy. I think I'd like to work in the shipyard.

I want Jake to try to get on one of those boats....it's good for a quick finding out who you really are, if you know what I mean :)

Long weekend, and trying to take care of house duties, but nosing around here, too :)

Thanks for sharing the pix....family's all in it too, since we just saw it a couple of hours ago :)

Saucy

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Hey, great photographs Chelone! Love those ships. Beautiful photograph of some beautiful vessels. There is really nothing like seeing a tall ship under sail and nothing like being on the deck of a large wooden sailing vessel under sail! I'm thinking I"m going to have to go sailing with Doug's cousins sometime soon. We used to sail with Doug and Linda Lee on the Heritage out of Rockland every summer and now it takes a crowbar and some sharp persuading to get me out of my gardens in the summer. LOL

Thanks for sharing these
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

A much belated thank you as well -- such a lovely site you have to see along your shore line, Chelone -- lots of great things to see -- you are very lucky to live so close to such wonderful scenery - but thanks for not taking it for granted -- and sharing it with us and (many lurkers Im sure, LOL).

--Cindy

• just_t
    16 years ago

What an awesome sight that must be to see when those tall ships sail in. Thank you for sharing the photos.

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Oh Chelone...those are fantastic shots. A few years ago, the "tall ships" came to the city of Chicago and I was totally enchanted. In fact I have a pic on my table upstairs of me and dh in front of our favorite tall ship. I don't know why, but to me there is something romantic and exciting about tall ships! :-) Loved the action shots too of the tug and the coast guard.

Well, I had a lot of catching up to do, trying to see everyone's posts, but what a lovely way to spend the morning. Thanks!

Ei

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Not being a sailor (I can't even swim!), I find the ships pretty and romantic but something best viewed from a distance :-) However, it looks like you live in a pretty town that would be interesting to wander around in - that's one of my favorite holiday occupations.