Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Idyll #486 The Wacky Weather Idyll.

gardenbug
13 years ago

Still digging, planting, watering, weeding and so on...

How about you????

Comments (102)

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sunday afternoon greetings to all my imaginary friends .. Doing a bit of hose dragging this afternoon and quite a bit of deadheading as the roses start to wind down their latest flush, and the daylilies wane. I have 2 daylilies that are inexplicably just coming into bloom now, and 3 that have yet to show any signs of doing so this year. Not sure whats going on there.
    Wha a great time I had yesterday on the GC open day down in the Berkeley-Oakland area. I am going to put up another separate thread this evening with some photos from the other 4 gardens I visited besides Keeylas, among them the gardens of Marsha Donahue and Raul Zumba. I was really disappointed in the photos from the Zumba garden-I got there just about high noon, or a little after and it was sunny and crystal clear bad photo situation , and my filter hasnt arrived let , so I was stuck with conditions as they were. What a fabulous, brilliant garden ! The photos dont even come close to doing it justice. I wandered around there for well over an hour . One of the most interesting aspects was how he used often very common and mundane plants in such a way that transformed them into freshness-it was all about the design. What a place; I sure hope I get a chance to see it again sometime. According to the directory the last time it was on Open Days was 2005, I would sure hate to wait 5 years ! Another favorite was Marsha Donahues garden, very unique . ..by the way , I took several photos of both Marsha and Keeylas hell strips too !

Julie, Im interested in your garlicdo you grow multiple varieties ? Ive always wanted to try it, but with my limited space I never have-not that it would take up much room to pop in a couple of bulbs somewhere. I am way behind on the JJs around here- my attention seems to be constantly directed garden-ward.

My goodness Eden, you plunged right into the Clem shopping I see !

Chelone, think there is now a lavender flowered Bacopa, but have yet to see it anywhere. Might be a nice option , especially paired with the Browallia.

V, think if Id collected all wine bottles along the way on IU , Id have had enough to replicate Trudi Temples, lol.

bug, those 2 clem pics above, oo-la-la. !

Container count in the Kathy Garden :112. yikes ! Though not up to Container Queen standards ..Container Princess perhaps ?

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    13 years ago

It was pretty sticky today. But I had lunch with Saucy and Sunny D which was very nice. And brightened my day nicely. Needed that.

I have seen the lavender flowered Bacopa and it's pretty. Mine isn't doing terribly well... I think it would probably like more direct sun. But the Browallia and the Begonia re coming on nicely. (so is the German Ivy, lol).

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Beautiful combo, Michelle !

I too have written a couple posts but deleted them as phone calls/etc popped up --

It's been an interesting weekend - DD went into preterm labor on Friday and after running the gamut of treatments, medications, etc., they've sent her home on full bedrest - it's put a twist on a number of things, including the babyshower, etc. So I was out shopping for supplies, groceries, etc. to take there for some help. They seem to be taking it fairly well in stride, altho her DH is a bit worried about taking over the cooking and sadly they're not close enough for me to pop in and out w/ a casserole or two every day. I suspect this new grandbabe has decided she wants to be an August babe instead, LOL - we're hoping she can go a few more weeks and after that, there wont be much concern. Always something!

I love hearing what fun or quiet everyone has been doing with their weekends -- and all the new plant purchases. It's so easy to add to the wish list!

V- thanks for sharing re Trudi's open days garden; I guess I hadnt realized it was to be her farm - neat place! I wonder what changes she's made in her home garden; a garden is never static and it's always so intriguing to see the new changes.

I'd love a fountain too but am too lazy to want to maintain it, clean it or worry about the mosquito issues... birdbath seems to be the way to go but I am still looking for "the one" - saw it a couple years ago but didnt buy on the spot and have missed it ever since.... I think there's a bench in my head like that and a pair of old doors, LOL -- I'm hoping the bench might still be available if I find the time and money.

I dont think I can wrap my head around 450 pots...I have a hard enought time imagining the storage, maintenance, etc., for the 225 or 250 plus our champion Idyllers have.

Had a storm blow thru here this p.m at long last that has lowered the temps to a tolerable 88 or so -- we've had two days of 102 plus here -- like being in the Egyptian desert - all I can ever remember being hotter.

Here's hoping for a much cooler week for all of us, with no rains of 6 inches plus!

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy, the longer baby bakes the better. One lady I know is on bed rest now too, due to cholestasis of pregnancy. She was on bedrest last weekend, FOR HER WEDDING and baby shower! She is hoping baby decides to come on her own before the doctors inflict a C-section on her.

Today was yet another Gravel Watch meeting, this time an interesting speaker/friend was there to help keep me awake. We have been working very hard on responses to poorly gathered "expert" documents.

One requirement of these meetings is that DH must stop at a particular nursery with me on our way home. I returned with Echinacea Powwow Wild Berry and Hakonechloa Fubuki (which I'm very excited about!).

DS headed toward NYC at 3:30am for a 12 noon meeting. I hope all went well! That is supposed to be the last trip for his car, ever....

A friend took Phoebe for a long walk while we were out and when we returned, I took a nap. What a week it has been. I've mowed a large chunk of lawn this evening because it is sunny and cool and, well gee, pleasant out there!

I am eager to see Marcia Donahue's garden as seen by Kathy. I've followed her for years in various books and magazines, enjoying teacups and other oddities in her personal spaces.

Bon Soir!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my, not sure I want this in MY garden! But boy, what a scene to capture!!!

• veronicastrum
    13 years ago

A quickie here.

My niece had her appendix out at 5:15 this morning.

She's home! Wow.

V.

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Just a quick post tonight, Michelle, your grouping made me smile today too, especially after I just took this pic before I saw your post. Not the same but has the same 'flavor'
    {{gwi:165696}}

Deanne

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Idyll and all the other threads were such a good read this morning. You all were busy while I was gone yesterday.

Cindy, bedrest is so hard. Maybe your SIL can grill a large batch of chicken and then add to salads, stir frys, etc. That always gets my husband through. I ate lots of Ben and Jerry's while I was on bedrest...that and caught up on my soaps.

Wow, V! An appendix doesn't get an overnight stay, huh?

I had a nice day yesterday. I took a ride to York, ME to see the Open Days gardens. Braveboat Harbor was on the list again, but the big stunner of the day was a couple living on a wildlife preserve. There was so much gorgeous stonework and most of the color in the garden was done with foliage, not flowers. I've got photos to share.

I am looking forward to today...it's going to be gorgeous with lower humidity. Tomorrow too. It's time for me to start making big leaves. Today I think I will garden, and clean up my workspace and tomorrow I can work and take the kids on the boat. Life is good, I'd say.

I'm going to get moving this morning.

Saucy

• chelone
    13 years ago

It is absolutely gorgeous today. The sun is brilliant, the wind is very steady, humidity level is perfect, and it's in the low 80s.

We began the day by locating the drainage trench that runs along the road and thens turns to the west and empties into the culvert that drains to the swamp behind the Compound. We marked it with stakes. Then we pulled all the tall weeds with stiff stems. Then we went after the softer, "tuftier" weeds with the weed-whacker, cleaning the debris as we progressed. We have now identified, and rerouted the course of the Great Drainage Improvement Project that we hope will allow us to get a few more road screening shrubs established. Next step is to have the contractor come over and see what he thinks it will cost. We are going to go with perforated pipe, I think, so any deluge will be drained away, but the surrounding ground will have every opportunity to soak up (and filter) as much of the available water as it's able. We are focussing on directing the excess moisture to other areas that are "on the way" to the swamp. There will be fill involved and there will be a lot of hard work to create swales and gentle contour to the area parallel to the road.

It would be nice to be able to just focus on "pretty", though. Seems that right now everything in my life is about "nuts and bolts" and the reconfiguration of stuff I thought I'd had decently "figured out". And so it goes.

The sound of the saw tells me that the fence posts have been cut to their final height and at least that irritating "detail" is taken care of. I've waited a long time for that one. ;)

Need to finish pickling the remaining long railing and the short one so I may capitalize on "perfectdrying conditions" and get the clear coating done, too.

• jak1
    13 years ago

Happy Monday all!

I now have pretty much completed my Spite Fence garden. Could probably squeeze in a few more perfect daylilies and three more climbers, but it is now quite attractive, not at all like before. Ha! to my neighbour who I am sure thought she would make my life miserable by installing her stupid fence right beside mine!!! I have "before" pictures in Photobucket so when I transfer the "After" I will show you all.

I have noticed that my variegated Hostas are absolutely mangled and chewed to ribbons. I discretely placed some earwig bait around but there was no improvement. Yesterday while I was perusing them something bright caught my eye: RED LILY BEETLES! I don't have any more lilies as those beasts destroyed them faster than I could plant them, so it seems that the next best thing on the menu is Hostas! Save me!!!!!

Love the greenhouse. I was overcome by a sense of loss and longing when I saw it - I miss mine terribly. Maybe someday I will do something here. We talked last year about cleaning up the shed and putting greenhouse roofing on it, but then we did the fence and that was it for $$$ for a while. Now I am preparing to try a few concrete leaves a la Saucy and the shed will be my work area, at least at first. You can have anything you want, just not everything you want, as the saying goes.

DD and SO returned from their camping trip with the two boys last night. Adrian was tanned, filthy and tired, just as he should be after a week at the beach. They had a ball. Kevin returned his son to his ex's and then we all sat around eating lasagna and drinking wine - perfect end to the week. They have gone home now, and Adrian is at a friend's. I am going to scoot off to the laundry room as today is a perfect drying day, and DH is on the golf course. A quiet Monday.

Love the Art in the Garden photos; I will add to that thread later.

Cheers,

Julie

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Lovely day here, too. Pulled the last of the really tall weeds out of the lower yard. Now there are just small weeds to take care of down there...and ten huge bags to drag up and out front to the curb-ugh. I am thinking it is a good thing that these eyes don't see as well as they used to-it actually looks okay to me when I peruse the yard from the deck!

Cindy, no fun for DD. Books and the internet should keep her from getting TOO bored. I would also love to get a new fountain. I have a wonderful three tiered concrete one (sort of a zen thing-very plain), but the tube that ran the water up through the levels got destroyed (can you say, bad dog!?), so now I have three very heavy water dishes for the dogs. I am thinking of trying to get some of my son's friends to help move the largest one down to the concrete patio under the deck and turn it into a planter. The other two can stay as water dishes because I can move the small one myself and DH and I can move the middle one. Maybe an end-of-season excursion is in order to find you something, Cindy. Everyone has their fountains and bird baths on sale and those prices should drop even more as we move toward September.

V-whoa, not even one night? I think hospitals try to get people out as quickly as possible which is probably a good thing considering the stories one hears about staph infections caught there. My uncle actually died a couple of years ago from catching the MRSA virus after being admitted for a heart attack which was mild. You would think hospitals would be so clean, wouldn't you.

'bug, how is your DD doing? Are they still on their camping trip? Oh and I loved the moose video. So cute.

Michelle and Deanne-Those Stargazer pics are marvelous! Love both combos. What is the white flower, Deanne? Is it on the variegated leaf plant?

Chelone, hope your "Big Dig" project is successful. It sounds like lots of hard work, but the outcome should be worth it and then you can get back to the pretty stuff!

Saucy, can't wait to see those garden tour pics. How delightful it would be to live on a wildlife preserve.

Julie, ditto on your Spite Fence pics. I'll bet the garden is stunning. Good job turning that negative into a positive-enjoy! So sad about your hostas. I have been lucky on that front this year. Little slug or earwig damage (knock on wood) so far.

Time for a late lunch and maybe even a midday walk for the pups since it is relatively pleasant out there. Waving to all.

TTFN.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The weather has been very summery here yesterday and today, which means a bit hot for me, but at least the humidity is down. If I look about though I see things like red leaves on maple trees, goldenrod, and the Joe Pye weed blooming all around. It looks great as a background for my Ruby Lace Locust tree.

Chelone, I am very familiar with the "basics first" approach to things. It's the only way to go. But for anyone who appreciates beauty in fabric, texture, flowers, etc it is a pain because the heating, roof, drainage, appliances, hot water tank, insulation, mattresses, door locks etc all come before new wall color, recovering couches, new flooring and lighting, tables and chairs, etc. I think I've given up on EVER having the house as I'd like it. At least the temperature will be OK, the taxes paid and the pets fed.

Good to hear about Saucy's summer activity. Boating with the kids and big leaves! Sounds grand. I hope to see your photos soon.

As to appendix removal...DH had his out shortly after we were married. He thought they were joking when they asked him to get up and walk afterwards. But no, it was no joke. He had to stay at a sort of nursing home for a week after. Nurses made sure that students all followed doctors' orders and there were no TVs, only study times, exercise, meals and sleep. After my teaching day I could visit him on the way home. Worked out well.

Very eager for the return of my gang from their holidays...but I'm sure they're happy to eek out every last day they possibly can. I hope Skyler managed OK. This is the first time he has been away from his Mom for a full three weeks. He can be a pain and a whiner, but maybe being a year older and loving his little sister has made a difference. I hope so! He wanted so much to sleep with his sister in their camper, so I hope that worked out well too. They both have special sleeping bags for below zero temperatures. (It may well have been below zero in the Yukon during the nights.)

It felt good to get some weeding, planting and watering done today. DH and I also went out for a late lunch and that was nice too. We'll see what the morrow brings. :) His schedule is so crazy! I really hope he goes to his office!

• veronicastrum
    13 years ago

I will be disconnected from the cyber world for the next several days as we all head up north for a vacation with the extended family. This is shaping up to be a trip worthy of National Lampoon. My car started acting up (again!) over the weekend and it turned out the brake sensor had gone bad - which required replacing the entire front axle!!! Of course, we've had the emergency appendectomy. MIL headed up first and my DH went along as the designated under-75 driver. We found out last night that she didn't take ANY bedding with her. Sudden scramble around town to gather up the linens and get them to family members who had room in their car.

And of course, when you spend the night chasing down sheets, you don't get your own suitcase packed...

Wish me luck, folks!

V.

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Morning all,

What a beautiful day we had here yesterday, mid 80s and low humidity. My friend MichelleD came over and we were able to get the gardens polished up for my garden tour tonight. I have the Merrimack Garden Club coming over this evening and we will be having a beautiful evening to be out in the gardens. The dry air and wind dried things out fast so Im going to have to run the sprinklers again but I'm not complaining as we'll be rain free tonight.

Jeesh, V. I cant wait to hear all the vacation stories. Good grief, no sheets?! Good thing your DH went along on that first trip.

Saucy, looking forward to seeing pics from the Maine open days. ~~ So how many leaves have you gotten done?

What a bummer about your hostas Julie, Ive never had those lily beetles eating hosta! How dreadful.

Cyn, that white flower is a variegated New Guinea Impatiens. Ive used them in a lot of areas this summer and they are really wonderful. Heres a pic of a few of them in the mailbox garden.
    {{gwi:165697}}

OK time to move the sprinklers and get some breakfast. Have a great day everyone.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's going to be a warm one again today, but with less humidity I can deal with it. Like you Deanne, I need to move the hose around a bit in places. Most urgent though is weeding. This year has been great for honkin' big weeds and mowing. That means less time for actually planting and reshaping things. I have so many things to do- among them pruning back my berberis hedge, dividing the lambs ears to donate to my friend's new nursery along with tons of cimicifuga simplex which last year multiplied ferociously! But first I need to get rid of twitch grass and more weeds...and edge island beds and plant up the last of the ghetto pots.

I need to hire staff!!! LOL.

OK, time to get DH out the door and start work!
    'bug

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

No hose dragging here at the moment. We had over 2" of rain on the weekend so, other than pots (Randy's job now...), things are well watered for awhile...

GB- I'm dancing with glee! Look what I found today - after we removed some honkin' big weeds from the front bed!
    {{gwi:165698}}
    That's Huldine, right?!! After planting several over the years that turned out to be something else, I think I've finally got one! It's one I planted last year in anticipation of putting up the tuteur that we're waiting for from Mario...

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looks right to me Woody! Are there mauve markings on the reverse sides?

I'm still working on those honkin big weeds here....but making progress. I'm aching and tired though... I can't get the mower started so I can't empty the 7-8 buckets of weeds I've gathered.

Looks like next Tuesday they'll begin work on our bathroom. GOOD! Of course that is the day my friend comes for an extended visit...but I'll accept anyway!

Got a postcard from Dawson City today! It was mailed 9 days ago, when they were leaving for Inuvik, (population about 3,500) north of the arctic circle. DSIL has been north of there even, to Tuktoyaktuk, which can only be reached by an ice road that connects it to the Dempster Highway.

I am told that Skyler is a badgering 11 year old, that Ivy says "Uh Oh" when something falls, that she follows instructions too, like "Go see Daddy!" Indy is having a grand time as well. I think the dog and kids enjoy the constant togetherness. So nice to hear from them at last!

Off to try the mower once more!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

I decided to fertilize the containers tonight, which hasnt been done since IU. After the myriad garden visits this year Im really re-thinking how I have my containers situated , and how I might do a moderate Keeyla-zation of my front garden.

In other matters, the passing of my fellow employee earlier this month has created a lot of re-alignment of tasks and business travel. I dont think Im going to be able to make my trip to NE in October due to overlapping business commitments that were non-existent a month ago. Really bummed about that, but theres no help for it. I looking at plan B which might involve an NE add-on to IU8 or simply moving my visit off to 2011. I was hoping for a fall foliage thing, but I have also been drooling at some of the numerous GC open days in NE in July this year, and there are a boatload of public gardens I havent seen. I can envision a full 2 week trip next summer. One must make the best of things.

Good times to you V !

Lol bug on hiring staff..Im really truly going to get a quote on having the concrete ripped out on the sideyard they will be temporary staff , right ? Concrete removal is the only way I will be able to do the purple-red border ..and I need to find some purple pots !

Ok, I need to finish cooking up my meal; decided to make a pasta primavera tonight with fresh herbs from the garden and some farmers market veggies..

Waves to all !

Are you out there Martie ?

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Hot, hot, hot and humid here. I didn't do much more than water pots. I don't think I mentioned that the guy with all the pots has drip irrigation going to most of them.

I was thinking of Martie when I was picking the alpine strawberries. She insisted that I needed to plant them for Kenzie.

Deanne, the mailbox garden is wonderful. You do grow annuals well. Do you fertilize regularly?

'bug, the moose video was really fun.

Cindy, hopefully your DD can hang in there. I'm not sure if you were Idylling back in '04 when Kenzie decided she wanted to come early. 3 weeks in the hospital and then they released my DD and then she went to term and had to be induced.

Kathy, that's too bad about your trip. I know you were looking forward to it.

Michelle

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

Our garden tour for the Merrimack NH Garden Club was a huge success last night. Everyone had a great time including the host and hostess. Doug had a good time speaking with one lady who it turns out used to be a member of his flying club. They had a great time discussing pilot stuff

Today is supposed to be 97 and humid so other than doing the watering Im going to stay indoors in the AC today. I was feeling pretty wilted yesterday after working outside for eight hours. Im actually pretty sick and tired of being so hot, hot, hot!

Kathy, Im so bummed out you wont be able to come this fall! What a drag! Wah I was really looking forward to your visit.

Thanks Michelle! Yes I do fertilize all the annuals regularly. I rotate liquid fertilizers and do them about every ten days or so except for the Brugmansias and the big Colocasias which get done once a week.

Bug, what are you doing to your bathroom? ~~RE weeds, its funny how they thrive in this hot dry weather.

Woody, Im so jealous of your 2" of rain! We really need a good soaking here. The trees still havent had a good watering even with the rain we had last Friday night. Love that Huldine. None of the Clematis here have any flowers. Theyve been fried with this constant 90 degree plus temps.

Hope V is having a great vacation.

OK must get ready and get out of here. Ive got a dentists appt this AM.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Uncertain weather here, possible rain. I'm already back inside after weeding out several wheelbarrows full of the biggest, easiest weeds. DH was unsuccessful in starting the mower, so I guess it will be another emergency call to his old hockey buddy at the repair shop. :(

We are getting a new more powerful fan in the main bathroom and also having the room painted with mildew resistant paint. As Chelone says, we're not into beauty yet! This weekend we'll be removing wall decorations, shower and window curtains, towels, etc...

DH still hasn't had breakfast, but once he's off to work I hope to finish the daylily job and a few indoor things.

I've really been enjoying all the activity on the various threads this month, but sorry that Kathy's trip has to be postponed.

Later!
    'bug

• chelone
    13 years ago

Horribly frustrating day at work. All of it perfectly preventable if only I were permitted more latitude with respect to yardage calculations and was given the "big picture" rather than happenstance, "one at a time" instructions. I was on the verge of tears when the clock struck "midnight" and my "time out" was over.

Mercifully, I am not destitute of a dog to kick.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Chelone, its not the dog who needs kicking! Sorry about the stress.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm beginning to feel Chelone's frustrations more acutely... Time to treat yourself to a holiday, a trip, something special! Then rethink the whole job thing.

Today we were back to humid and storm watches. No rain appeared however. Ugh.

We've had a white cat lurking about, and Phoebe is aware of this! Also large rabbits and groundhogs. Yesterday we began seeing Purple Finches, which is a treat!

The mower is at the shop, and the choke cable was somehow broken. They will no doubt clean up the insides which are filled with dust, and once spruced up, charge us accordingly. Joy... I hope it comes home tomorrow!

DH is struggling through more terribly written "expert" reports on quarrying. I am his sounding board... and glad I do not need to write the review.

From today:
    Crocosmia
    {{gwi:165700}}

The Flats
    {{gwi:165702}}

Coreopsis Sienna
    {{gwi:165703}}

Daylily Frans Hals
    {{gwi:165705}}

Just Plum Happy
    {{gwi:165707}}

Bon Soir!
    'bug

• saucydog
    13 years ago

((Hugs Chelone))

You guys, I have been slacking! Chelone set the most beautiful table and served us the most refreshing lunch on her screened in deck. I needed some pampering that day, and Chelone didn't let us down:

{{gwi:165708}}

And she's been busy in the salon (though my camera battery died) and created another of my favorite floor coverings:

{{gwi:165709}}

I feel like I do nothing but drive right now...and ride in the passenger seat when I'm not driving! Jake's getting lots of practice, Sarah is going lots of places, and I'm just trying to find some time that is not in the car :)

I'm going to go find some ice cream and see if I can get those Open Days photos on another thread.

Reading along....

Saucy

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Late greetings from me -- sounds like lots of busy days and hot weather - that pretty much echos my days here too. Managed to get some weeding done, and I actually fertilized my pots -- the gorgeous results that Michelle and Deanne get put mine to shame, and obviously a weekly fertilization makes a big difference.... so at this late date, Im trying like Kathy.. It's nice to know these things can spur us on isnt it?

Actually, that reminds me of the Plant Delights Newsletter I got recently -- in which he repeats Raulston's quote of "if you aren't killing plants, you are not growing as a gardener." LOL - well, I think I am growing a lot in that regard then because this year's count is likely a record. It's actually a great and informative newsletter about that sort of thing - I heartily recommend you sign up - it's an e-newsletter that comes monthly or quarterly.

I'm starting the payback for the California trip, Kathy -- like your setbacks - that's such a shame you're going to have to cancel your Fall trip as I know how much you were looking forward to it - what a bummer! -- for me, a flat tire of yesterday somehow turned into a 1700 dollar repair... dont ask.. guess I'll be keeping this car longer. Sounds a bit like V's day w/ her car and National Lampoon vacation. Boy, I sure hope for your sake, V, that's the worst that happens on your vacation.

Woody, so pretty to find Huldine hunkering down there -- it sure looks like Huldine; it's funny how they definitely sulk a year or two sometimes and then surprise you. Which reminds me, I do actually fertilize the clems and roses again after their first flushes, and it does seem to be working - Im starting to get some repeat bloom after the immense heat; but I've cut a lot of them back too and there's some regrowth. If the terrible heat holds off, I might have some more rebloom.

You've got so much color going on in your gardens, 'bug -- beautiful!

What a pretty table Chelone set for her visitors - cant wait to see your Open Days pics, Saucy - hope you get some R&R on solid ground out of a car.

Chelone -- chin up re the job; sure wish we could get you some armor or a pith helmet to shrug off the garbage you get flung at you!

Baby Shower is this weekend and I'm in charge of all the food, flowers and some other things so I'm spending my evenings running errands for the event; gotta start cooking Friday nite I guess - it's on Sunday; if DD can't show; we're going to make DSIL come, LOL, and videotape it.

Michelle, I was lurking when you joined here and I do recall that about your DD; it seems to be a very common event - it's really interesting how there are conflicting info and studies about whether bedrest really works or not -- but I'm hoping she makes it to term or close enough; so far so good.

I'm looking forward to the cooler weather this weekend even if I wont get in the gardens much, if at all, with all the things to do for the shower.

Hope to catch a glimpse of the latest updates on the other threads - I've had no chance to take photos and I know my pots are shabby in comparison to the fantastic stuff I've seen. Love the garden art thread too...

Wavin as I zip off....now to make the rest of the grocery list for hitting the other stores tomorrow nite.

Where the heck did July go to???? I dont recall it.....

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

July 26, 2010
    The New York Times
    Botanical Gardens Look for New Lures

By JUDITH H. DOBRZYNSKI

For the last quarter century, the Cleveland Botanical Garden went all
    out for its biennial Flower Show, the largest outdoor garden show in
    North America. With themed gardens harking back to the Roman empire,
    or an 18th-century English estate, the event would draw 25,000 to
    30,000 visitors.

But in 2009, the Flower Show was postponed and then abandoned when the
    botanical garden could not find sponsors. This year, the garden has
    different plans. From Sept. 24 to 26, it is inaugurating the "RIPE!
    Food & Garden Festival," which celebrates the trend of locally grown
    food -- and is supported in part by the Cleveland Clinic and Heinen's,
    a supermarket chain.

"The Flower Show may come back someday, but it's not where people are
    these days," says Natalie Ronayne, the garden's executive director.
    "Food is an easier sell."

So it is across the country. Botanical gardens are experiencing an
    identity crisis, with chrysanthemum contests, horticultural lectures
    and garden-club ladies, once their main constituency, going the way of
    manual lawn mowers. Among the long-term factors diminishing their
    traditional appeal are fewer women at home and less interest in
    flower-gardening among younger fickle, multitasking generations.

Forced to rethink and rebrand, gardens are appealing to visitors'
    interests in nature, sustainability, cooking, health, family and the
    arts. Some are emphasizing their social role, erecting model green
    buildings, promoting wellness and staying open at night so people can
    mingle over cocktails like the Pollinator (green tea liqueur, soda
    water and Sprite). A few are even inviting in dogs (and their walkers)
    free or, as in Cleveland, with a canine admission charge ($2).

"We're not just looking for gardeners anymore," says Mary Pat
    Matheson, the executive director of the Atlanta Botanical Garden.
    "We're looking for people who go to art museums and zoos."

In May, the Atlanta garden opened an attraction that would fit right
    in at a jungle park: a "canopy walk" that twists and turns for 600
    feet at a height of up to 45 feet, allowing visitors to trek through
    the treetops. Not far away, food enthusiasts can stop in at a new
    edible garden, with an outdoor kitchen frequently staffed by guest
    chefs creating dishes with fresh, healthy ingredients. Edible gardens
    are the fastest-growing trend at botanical gardens, consistently
    increasing attendance, experts say, along with cooking classes.

Attendance in Atlanta since May is double what it was for the same
    period last year.

Public gardens across the country receive about 70 million visits a
    year, according to the American Public Gardens Association. But
    experts say that because of social trends and changing demographics,
    attendance is at risk if gardens do not change.

They can, however, take advantage of several trends that could
    increase garden attendance, including concern for the environment,
    interest in locally grown food, efforts to reduce childhood obesity,
    demand for family activities and mania for interactive entertainment.
    Even economic pressures could help botanical gardens, as more people
    try to grow their own food. In 2009, 35 percent of American households
    had some kind of food garden, up from 31 percent in 2008, says Bruce
    Butterfield, research director of the National Gardening Association.
    Only 31 percent participated in flower gardening in 2009, about the
    same proportion as in the last few years.

"There's a generation that will be less interested in gardens," says
    Daniel J. Stark, executive director of the public gardens association,
    "but that generation is incredibly interested in what's happening with
    the planet. Recently, my own two daughters, and a friend, were reading
    me the riot act about cutting down some trees."

Mr. Stark's daughters are 4 and 8.

Some tactics designed to entice nongardening Americans are not new, of
    course -- sculpture and concerts have been around for years -- but
    their popularity is growing. The New York Botanical Garden, for
    example, is drawing big crowds with its current tribute to the poet
    Emily Dickinson, who was also a gardener.

The new exhibition at the United States Botanic Garden in Washington
    features "the spectacular spud family," with potato-related artifacts,
    music and bits of pop culture, especially the endurance of Mr. Potato
    Head.

And children's gardens are growing more whimsical and interactive,
    says Sharilyn Ingram, a former president of the Royal Botanical
    Gardens in Canada who is now a culture professor at Brock University
    in Ontario. "You get to have a little more fun now," she said.

When the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden, in Boothbay, opened its $1.7
    million, two-acre children's garden this month, it came with a chicken
    coop, where children can harvest eggs, and a windmill weather station.

In Wyoming, at the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens, the new children's
    village has adopted sustainability as its theme. It includes a
    solar-powered discovery laboratory where children can make art from
    reused materials, a feature that helped it win the highest level of
    Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.

Teenagers in Cleveland are learning how to grow corn and zucchini on
    urban plots.

Because of environmental concerns, Descanso Gardens, near Los Angeles,
    is doing the once-unthinkable: it plans to uproot its historic -- but
    nonnative -- collection of camellias, some as tall as 30 feet, which
    were planted decades ago under the shade of natural woodlands. "It's a
    fantasy forest," says Brian Sullivan, the director of horticulture and
    garden operations.

But the fantasy cannot be sustained. Camellias require so much water
    that it is killing the trees -- not to mention being wasteful.
    Descanso will relocate the camellias, even though some will be lost,
    and allow the woodlands to return to their native state. "We expect
    opposition and kudos both," Mr. Sullivan said.

But Descanso still must reach out beyond its aging membership group,
    he added, so it is remaining open in the evening; offering cocktails
    (including the Pollinator) at a new Camellia Lounge; breaking ground
    on a $2.1 million art gallery whose exterior walls will be hung with
    vertical plant trays that will blend into a turf roof; and maintaining
    an edible garden dense with fruits, vegetables and herbs that are
    donated to a local food bank.

Food festivals are becoming a large part of the year-round programming
    that gardens view as important to winning repeat visitors. In January,
    the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables, Fla., drew some
    12,000 people to its fourth International Chocolate Festival with
    Coffee and Tea. It was followed in April with a local food festival,
    and this month with a mango festival. In November comes its annual
    Ramble, a garden party featuring antiques and music.

Yes, Fairchild also has an orchid festival.

But showcasing flowers is clearly shrinking in importance. "Most
    gardens," Ms. Ingram, the Canadian professor, said, "would feel that
    displaying flowers is necessary, but not sufficient."

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

July ? its almost over and IU7 is a month behind us ..crazy. With all the turmoil at the awfice this month has positively flown by. I have 3 business trips in the next 6 weeks or so, and Ive managed to squeeze in a brief driving trip up to Oregon. IU seems not to have made much of a dent in my PTO. Instead of the almost 2 week out east visit in October Im going to do a couple of long weekend trips.

Speaking of awfices, Chelone I hate to see you so miserable, and hope a solution rears its head sooner rather than later. Considering the hours spent at our jobs its horrible when we hate them; and seems like such a waste of time too. But we have to support our leisure and our lifestyle , pay the mortgage etc. Sometimes it seems like such a trap. I would love to open the idylls someday to read that you have proffered a one finger salute , and gone to where your talents will be appreciated, either on your own or with another more emotionally stable employer. ((Chelone)) and what Marie said, get in the rig and go on a little holiday. And by the way that floor cloth that Saucy posted is just gorgeous..I bet there are people around your parts who would pay decent money for something like that . Love the chair too..

I am also experiencing re-bloom on the 2 Clems I decided to fertilize this year, I am so jazzed about it ! Ive only fed the twice and can only imagine what Id have going on if Id been a little more consistent.

Cindy , my DD had blood pressure issues with Mr Baby, but all turned out well in the end, and Mr B is as healthy as a horse, she breast fed for a long time and also made all his baby food herself ..they had none of the allergy/ear infection type crapola that seems to plague so many .

bug, I love the flats and that Sienna sure looks perky ..and that Frans Hals is to die forwouldnt he look spiffy in a hot border ?

The lilies continue to please...Black Beauty tops out at over 6ft.. {{gwi:165710}}From Garden Summer 2010

Not much else to add greetings to all !

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Nothing special here for the pots other than a weekly dose of Miracle Grow. Deanne, did you mention you used several kinds?

'bug, I really like 'Sienna' I've not seen that one before. I really like the flats. Its such a pretty area.

Kathy, fabulous lilies!

I was thinking the same thing about the lovely floor cloth. Chelone, you are so talented you could make some serious money on those things. Oh, and you set a lovely table too.

Well, as of tonight the Party Girl is gone from the garden - sidalcea that is. It was floppy and seeding all over the place. I had 3 large plants. Now I will put some cardboard and mulch down over the seedlings. They have a tap root and are hard to pull. That's a quick solution for me. I put a piece under the large tuteur tonight also since there are some weeds there that are too hard to pull.

I really need to keep at the weeds and deadheading these days. At least the weather has cooled and the humidity dropped some today so that I could be out there.

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I was taken by the beauty of this milkweed.
    {{gwi:165711}}

• jak1
    13 years ago

Happy Thursday all!

Funny - well, not - that you should mention the ear infection crappola Kathy - DGS is moaning on the couch, suffering from two seriously infected ears. Advil, Amoxicillan, warm compresses - not one iota of relief. I breast fed DS and DD and grew and made their baby food too, and they both suffered horribly, especially DS. Even as an adult he has had ear infections. One of the reasons that we installed our own pool - they just couldn't swim in natural water without a recurrance. DGS must have inherited teensy ear structures or something. Ahhhhh, summer!

On Tuesday a.m. I looked at my thermometer and it read 37C, close to 100F at 9:30. That's enough! I ran out and watered my pots, came in, turned on the music and the air, and cleaned my whole house, probably for the first time since May. And Yesterday, Yee Haw! Rain, rain, rain! All afternoon, a down pour. Today is cooler but I have an appointment for a nerve study and neuro follow up from my neck accident, so it's off to the city. I may get back into the garden by Friday. So no updates here!

Glad to see that Chelone is still exercising her creative talents. That cloth and chair are perfect! And the lunch photos just sent me right back to IU6....Sorry that things are so absolutely crummy at work. Any chance you could cop some stress leave? Are there any benefits provided at work (as if) or from the state department of health? You surely need a break, my friend. I feel for you.

Very interesting article, Bug. Our Hort Society is rapidly declining. The population of our town is aging, and many cannot do much garden work now. As far as I know, I am the only one in the subdivision of 200+ homes who regularly grows a veggie garden. We do, however, have a very active organic grower/share sale movement - several people pay an amount per year and the small group of farmers provide each with a large box of produce every week. The produce is whatever is ready that particular week. You can pay less for your share if you work on the farms for a few hours every week, and you can pool your $$$ with someone else for a share and divide the box. So far this seems to be a winning situation. But flowers are a bonus. If I look down my street, I only see my front garden. Almost everyone else has a little strip in front of the foundation with a few shrubs; the rest is unused green lawn tended by professional lawn care companies. How sad.

Ah, cars. Our $45 service cost us $1000 this week. So now we're broke for the month. What a drag.

Hmmmm, it sounds like this post is kind of a downer....but I really don't feel bad, just busy with the normal stuff of life I guess. I am going out to water pots!

Cheers,

Julie

13 years ago

Interesting article gb... There are quite a few gardeners in this neighbourhood but that certainly seems the exception rather than the rule when you look around town in general. The Hort. Society has been having trouble finding new gardens for the tour in the past couple of years apparently.

gb - have you ever been to Northland Nursery? We were there this morning. I went to get some Crimson Wonder hibiscuses and got three of them plus a Little Henry Itea and a hydrangea for $28 in total. You have to look carefully to make sure what you're buying is well rooted since the nursery is a true nursery - some stuff has just been propagated and some has been growing on awhile. It's usually obvious which is which but you have to be careful at times. I didn't take my camera and Randy didn't take mundane pictures like what the whole place looks like so all I can show you are these:
    {{gwi:165713}}
    {{gwi:165715}}
    {{gwi:165717}}
    If you're down at this end of Hwy 6, it's worth stopping in....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Hate to hear how truly awful the awfice is, Chelone. I have visions of a two-woman business-you and Saucy! Cast leaves and floor cloths! I bet you would have more orders than you could imagine!

Julie, sorry about the car bill. I am taking mine in next week for the yearly inspection that is due by tomorrow! Usually, I call and they say, "Sure, bring it in tomorrow." This year, have to wait two weeks. I will be dodging the cops until Thursday. I imagine I will be unhappy with the bill as well. I am due for the 60,000 mile check and the check engine light has been on for months which means it won't pass inspection unless something is fixed. No fun.

'bug, I love the flats, too.

Kathy, I had some concrete (original path to house from driveway) taken out and it wasn't too expensive all things considered. The flagstone path that replaced it was a different story. :)

Woody, that little donkey is a cutie. Waterlilies are magical, I think. I would love to have space for a large pond that could support them. Thanks for the link, too.

Michelle, pretty milkweed. I am so discouraged with all the weeds. They are the only things growing like mad around here-hence the term, I suppose. I just can't seem to get ahead of them and even if I put cardboard down where possible, I can't afford the mulch to go over it since I am not getting paid in August. Oh well.

Luckily, we just had a storm come through, so that is a bit of a help with the drought.

Time to schlepp some more junk from the dining room into the garage. So hard to know what to do with "stuff." For instance, I have my old Madame Alexander bride doll which would be nice to have if I ever have a granddaughter, but which needs a doll hospital desperately. Keep or toss? I will probably keep, but don't really have space for all that sort of stuff. Letting go isn't easy, but I think it should be. I'll keep working on myself!

Waving to you all. Almost Friday...

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Evening all,

Well Im officially sick and tired of being HOT Darned but its been miserable this week. Every day has been over 90 and windy. I lost a couple pots that were blown over because it was so windy theyd dried out then the wind blew them down. Cant win for losing sometimes. The bad news is that one of my great ceramic pots broke to smithereens but the good news is that the plants are ok except for a few leaves and Ive repotted them and all is well.

Cyn, I lol over the doll dilemma. Im the opposite of a pack rat. I cant stand to have piles of stuff that I dont use so anything that hasnt been looked at in three years is outta here. Doug is a pack rat and I used to love it when he worked out of town every other week because Id toss out some of his very old, unused stuff. Most of the time he never even knew Id gotten rid of it and if he did figure it out he was happy Id dealt with it.

Woody, Love those pics Rand took. Especially the last one with that grid. What is that for?

Julie, what a bummer about the car expense. A couple years ago I needed shocks for my car and imagine my shock when it cost $2500!!!! Yikes! ~~ Sorry DGS is not feeling well. Hope hes better soon. Ear infections are miserable.

Michelle, superb photograph of the milkweed! Beautifully composed image! ~~ Yes I rotate my liquid fertilizers between Algoflash, Maxsea and Miracle Grow. They all have different trace elements so I figure it cant hurt.

Kathy, that Black Beauty is a beauty! None of my clematis are giving any rebloom this year. I think its just been too darned hot.

Interesting read from JUDITH H. DOBRZYNSKI Bug. Thanks for posting that.

Cindy, so is your shower this weekend? ~~ Im looking forward to the cooler weather this weekend myself.

Chelone, love, love, love the floorcloth! Beautiful work my friend. Your table setting is lovely too.

Wow, bug, love the pics! That Coreopsis Sienna is really gorgeous and in such a beautiful combination.

OK time to get off this computer and get ready for bed have a great evening all
    Deanne

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Oh, Cindy, yes-I meant to wish you a very, very happy shower! It would be so wonderful if DD could find a way to attend. Despite the extra running around, I bet it has been fun getting everything together.

Deanne, I am usually not a pack rat, but I am so wishing for grandbabies at some point that I am keeping a few things 'just in case' like DS's rocking horse, the old train set from my childhood. Most stuff, I have no problems tossing. DH, however, is like yours except he would be livid if I got rid of anything of his. Humph.

Feeling tired and have a little headache, so off to bed.

Sweet dreams and respite from the day's little (or big) irritations and frustrations all.

Cyn

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

This week has passed by pretty fast for metomorrow is already Friday, and I am actually at liberty all weekend for the first time in ages. I should clean the house, but Im pretty sure Ill find an excuse not to.

Deanne, I have to say that I am just amazed by the weather issues this year.. your incessant heat and out lack there-of. I wish it would be like this forever in summer, though its probably not good for the red wine grapes-we are hearing that harvest will be 2 to 3 weeks late this year due to the cool temps.

Cyn, Im thinking the demolition part of the project will be relatively cheap, but there may be new fence issues and definitely some path installation involved and that will be the pricey part.

Woody, very very nice photos Randy took ! I really like the composition on the last one.

My new Scheherazade lilies are opening this weekhere are a few pics.. {{gwi:165718}}From Garden Summer 2010
    {{gwi:165719}}From Garden Summer 2010
    {{gwi:165720}}From Garden Summer 2010

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THE GANG IS HOME! I spoke to Skyler, DSIL, Ivy and DD about their trip. Skyler said his favorite part was the hot springs. Ivy said "uh-oh!' when she poured juice on her foot. We didn't get to talk about everything of course, but all in all, a great time was had by all. :)

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

It was actually rainy and somewhat cool here today. Hopefully, it heads out east to bring some relief for my eastern friends.

I walated in the rain. Then since I had more time to cook than I usually take during gardening season I made homemade spaghetti sauce.

Kathy, I love the last pic with the yarrow. Nice combo.

Deanne, I'm glad you like the milkweed. Just to clarify its along the road not in my garden. I do have Asclepias incarnata blooming right now. You asked if that was fennel in the container on the other thread and it is bronze fennel. I love the texture.

In my butterfly garden where the ascelpias resides I also plant bronze fennel for the butterflies. Kenzie and I counted over 30 black swallowtail caterpillars. 10 on one plant alone.

Woody, I like the metal work in the last picture.

I'll leave you with a few wet pictures.

Some of this years zinnias. (yes I plant them every year)
    {{gwi:165722}}

Hydrangea 'QuickFire' and persicaria 'Firetail' mingling.

{{gwi:165723}}

These last 3 are the Butterfly Garden. In the first is my recently added garden art. I picked up the long birch branch in Wisconsin several years ago. We tied it to the top of our camper. I knew I'd find a use for it. I admit it - I'm a pack rat. I'm trying to decide if it is a bit too tall. Rick doesn't think so.
    {{gwi:165724}}

{{gwi:165725}}

{{gwi:165726}}

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Wow Michelle! Your borders are looking great this year (okay, they look great everytime I see a picture of them...but they look great this year, too). I see a leaf sneaked in :) I like the persicaria firetail...need to try that!

GB, I'm glad they're home and will be able to fill you in on all their adventures. I can't wait to hear myself. Jake and Sarah were interested in where they were camping.

Cyn, I think it is nice to keep some things for sentimental reasons. It's fun to hold those things in your hands and think of all that they've lived through and the people they've known. I tend to tie myself to stuff, which gets me in trouble, but on the other hand, I could live out of a bag and be happy, too. I've done both :)

This morning it is 60 and crisp out and the weather couldn't be more perfect if Deanne had ordered it up herself - enjoy it my friend!

Hope that DGS is on the mend soon, Julie. I never did mention here that what Sarah had was a horrendous 10 day virus that many got, but it was NOT mono! She had a terrible earache too, along with swollen glands and high fever. The doctor's office was swamped with calls and doing throat cultures for strep and bloodwork for mono. They've never seen anything like it....neither had I. Hope he feels better soon.

Loved the article, GB, and I think it makes sense to make things cross cultural. How are we supposed to know we like something if we don't try it? It's not easy to get people out of their comfort zones to try something new. I think gardens are the perfect venues for lots of things...Joan Baez was in Nashville last night playing at Cheekwood (an estate and botanical garden that I would love to visit with you guys, but it's always too hot in July).

Lots going on here and I'm trying to pull together the materials for the GG paths so that we can install them this weekend while its cool. The kids are headed on a trip to NYC with their Nonnie to climb the Statue of Liberty and the weather couldn't be better for it.

Hope you're all getting some good garden weather for the weekend!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A busy time here coming up this weekend. Friends with problems, but visits non the less. Garden friends today...with time away for a specialist to check on his hepatitis C. Then another friend with a hand injury that must be soaked, and he is bringing a bit of wood from his employer's business for our winter use, then dog walking Phoebe. Phoebe loves the car rides with him...
    This weekend we are clearing the bathroom walls for Wednesday's workman. I had to mail in a paint chip colour. Fortunately I have a colour 'wheel' so I could make a selection very close to what we already have.
    DH has made a great start on his review of the "expert" paper on quarrying. He's not getting much sleep though.
    A knitting friend has asked to take a look at a dress pattern and the fabric I bought for Ivy. She just got a new sewing machine and wants to make something "cute". I'll try to fit that in this weekend too.
    My friend from Toronto days is due here Monday and Tuesday, so we'll no doubt be "out and about!"

I so enjoy hearing about Jake and Sarah and their Nonnie, Julie and her DGS too. I'm in contact with another Nana, one who is concerned about her role with 2 small grandchildren. It is a role which is slow to develop for me given the long distances between us. The idea of climbing the Statue of Liberty together delights me! It was fun to chat with Skyler last night about the best parts of his trip! Sarah is always surprised by what he doesn't know. Yesterday he came up with "You know, I think squirrels must be mammals." That is a concept Sarah can't remember ever learning, but I think it is great progress for this little guy who is not at all an outdoor type...yet! ;)

In case Jake and Sarah are curious, these are some spots to look at that the gang visited. (they saw a black bear, bison, sun at 1am, and more!)
    They camped and attended a very fine concert here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_City

They drove along this road which washed out 2 hours after they left!:(and others roads too)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dempster_Highway

They visited Inuvik, NWT. Check out the last photo of the greenhouse there!!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuvik,_Northwest_Territories

Gotta get moving...
    'bug

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Just a quick flutter-by. So much to do and the weather is perfect for being outside, so I do want to get there!

I adore it when wee ones learn to say uh-oh. I am hearing Ivy and grinning like a fool, 'bug. So envious of all you grandmas!!! The camping trip sounds marvelous and quite joyful-nice for them all.

Michelle, I think the birch branch is perfect and those zinnias are spectacular. I also noticed (with a touch of envy) your leaf.

Why do none of you have weeds???? Next year, I am going to mulch even if we need to take out another mortgage to do it! Oh, and put down some Preen, too!

Saucy, have fun installing the paths. That is another project on my list. Told DH I wanted to do it this week, but he seems to be avoiding it rather wonderfully. Oh well.

Kathy, enjoy your free weekend! WALATs and SALATs are a valuable use of time. The cleaning will wait.

Okay, now I am off. Will probably check in later. The little monster is coming for a visit this evening while DS and SO go out for a bit. Apparently, he suffers from separation anxiety and has chewed the stair rails as well as one shoe from each of Kelly's two favorite pairs, so I have offered to puppysit whenever until they can get him past this. See, if I can't have a DGS or DGD, I will settle for the pup!

13 years ago

gb - we hope to see some Ivy pictures from the Yukon shortly...?

Michelle - you garden is looking fabulous! I like that hydrangea - I seem to be collecting them these days so I'll keep an eye out for that one:-)

Saucy - good to hear that Sarah is recovering.

The metal structure in the last picture Randy took is an illusion! There were dozens of hoop houses at the nursery, all with the plastic covers off for the summer. Randy was looking sort of diagonally across the field of hoop houses so all the rusty hoops formed a pattern that looked like a flat sculpture...!

• chelone
    13 years ago

Sentimental is good, you guys. Never underestimate its value in your attempts to be prudent, "clean", and "organized".

Michelle, your borders are indeed sumptuous. I've watched them evolve over time and your hard work is clearly evident. You "should be right proud of yourself". I think of you often when I'm WALATing and see foliage combinations that appeal to me. And I want a swing... not a tire swing, a real "GD swing". (Putting GD in front of any noun is a sure-fire New England way to put "emphasis" on it).

We continued the assault on reeds and general out of control weeds this morning. We've continued on the "opening up" of the over grown area that will be between the Great Drainage Project and the lawn area; this is what we've come to call, The Fertile Cresent. We have a good plan, I think. But a transit will be required since establishing the grade is going to be key to how effectively we're able to use the water before the excess dribbles into the culvert.

Nice goin', Woody! Real smart to ask 'bug for baby pictures... . I expect Cindy will deluge us in pretty short order. ;)

Nothing more positive than the yardwork to report. But still laboring toward liberation, one painful step at a time.

But it's OK.

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Close to bedtime here..Im at my leisure this weekend , and have decided to get up and head up valley to take some photos at the garden of one of the chi-chi dining establishments . This particular business has changed hands and names numerous times in the last few years, but as they often do, the garden persists-someone along the way had a vision.
    I had something of an epiphany with my camera last week , discovering only by dumb luck something I had been doing wrong for awhile, and Im anxious to test out my theory. Really looking forward to a weekend that is completely unscheduled for a change, and if I change my mind in the morning so be it !

Vive la revolution Chelone ! Stay the course.. Your drainage project sounds full of promise , I can imagine how important anything that leads to a screen between you and the road must be.

With apologies to all who remain unmentioned this evening-I am going to retire to the baseball viewing area and an early morning is on the agenda.

Waving !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathy, seems to me your photos on the pink thread are in the new style? I hope to see more of the epiphany testing...

I'm up at 5am...but that is not a bad thing. I was early to bed, so I hope to become "healthy, wealthy and wise!!!"

Chelone, sorry, but there will be Ivy photos at some point!!! But maybe things are improving in that regard, given that she is officially a toddler, not a "baby". Once you can say "Uh-Oh!" you aren't an infant any longer.

Cyn, photos lie. Plain and simple! We all have weeds. In fact I disposed of at least 10 huge heavy buckets full yesterday alone. The buckets are waiting for me to refill them too. Le sigh. On 10 acres you simply cannot mulch it all.

I foresee blueberry pancakes in my future once more, a trip to the dump...and other less than exciting events over the weekend. We'll see. Maybe there'll be some surprises?

It is cooler and less humid than last week. YEAH!
    'bug

{{gwi:165727}}

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I'm here with you, GB, up early so that Nick and I can go pick up the supplies for the GG. The weather is perfect for working outdoors. I was thinking of all the things I can do once the paths are in and I'm excited.

Time to go hop in the shower and get going!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OOOOO Saucy! I love a project together. PHOTOS please! Chelone too!

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Gooooood morning one and all,

What a glorious day is on tap for today. PERFECT weather. Its currently 62 degrees outside and so dry and delicious outside I could swoon! Still dry but the sprinklers are running and if these cooler temps continue for a few days as predicted the watering will last for a bit. A person does not appreciate a 70 degree, dry day until dealing with an entire summer of 90 degrees plus temperatures. Doug is off flying. Hes working on a new certification and is learning to fly a tail dragger plane. Ill be content to putter about in my gardens until he gets home and then I think well take a drive or something, or maybe sit on the patio and enjoy the day.

Saucy, yes, yesterday was also beautiful but I taught so spent the day in the basement studio. I had to drag myself down there! LOL Youll have to give us updates on the GG paths.

Cyn, the only thing Ive held onto is a very small primitive rocking horse that Dougs grandfather made for Heather. Ill never have any grandchildren so I really need to find someone who could use it. Its pretty cute. ~~ Hope your headache is gone. ~~ I dont usually have any weeds in the beds because I top dress all of them with compost in the spring and when any new seeds would be sprouting the borders are all so filled in the weeds dont normally make an appearance. Ill get an occasional oxalis or crab grass in the borders but thats about it. I read an article once from a gardener in the UK who maintained a no weed under any circumstances policy and would police all his borders daily. He maintained that the more you do this the less of a problem they become because you get rid of them before they set seeds. Im so lucky to be able to plan my work schedule around the gardens so I have time to do the maintenance.

Kathy, this was actually the hottest July ever recorded here. I wish Id kept track but I think at least three of the four weeks were over 90 degrees and last summer we might have had one day or so that topped 90 degrees. Its incredible and hard to believe you are having a really cool summer. ~~ Love those new lilies! They are such beauties! I especially love that last photograph. ~~ Im looking forward to seeing some new pics from you. Youve really gotten fantastic with your camera!

Bug, glad to hear the travelers are all home safe and sound.

Michelle, what can I say except I am staggered by your gardens!!!!! How fabulous! I absolutely adore the hydrangea/persicaria combination. In the third photo, is that Little Joe behind the phlox? Its perfectly sited there. And what is the grass and the gypsophila looking plant next to the variegated sedum? Ive tried growing that sedum several times with no success. Im guessing that garden gets full sun? Id love it if youd do a whole thread of garden pics for us. I so enjoy your beautiful gardens.

OK Ive spent as much of this beautiful day indoors as Im going to so Im out of here and hoping everyone is enjoying a beautiful day.

Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Deanne, thanks I'm glad you like the pictures. The sedum isn't the most agressive grower compared to 'Autumn Joy' or 'Matrona' but it came as a cutting from my mom's garden many years ago. Plant ID's are Gypsophila 'Pink Fairy', Eupatorium 'Gateway' which is quite happy this year with all our rain and Calamagrostis acutiflora 'Eldorado', which is one of my favorite grasses, probably behind miscanthus 'Morning Light' I think that would be my top pick. These at least are manageable in size.

Did anyone notice my nearly bare clematis tuteur? The clems I planted have done poorly. 'Mamori', 'Hyde Hall' and Franziska Marie" were the 3 I started with. I've added 'Madame Julia Correvon' and will try a few other type 3's.

Cyn, there are weeds there believe me. I don't photograph the areas when they are weedy. That's why the Secret Garden hasn't been posted this season. I had those 12 million ash seedlings there. We have around 25 acres of our farm that is for the house, buildings,ponds, wetlands and groves. Obviously I don't garden it all. I mulch with "free" mulch from the city. Not the prettiest stuff in the world but the price is right and most often its barely visible because of my gardening style. I see a bare spot and I plant something - I can't help myself. Otherwise, things would be a disaster here. I try to keep the weeds under control as it seems that once you do that it gets better each year. It's when they go to seed that I have problems.

Saucy, that's a castor bean from last year. The paths sound like work that a helper will be much appreciated.

Woody, do you have hydrangea 'Tardiva"? I have one that has yet to bloom, but I saw some in bloom at the nursery last week that were gorgeous large flowers.

I'd best get going as we have plans for the evening so the gardening time will be shortened.

Michelle,

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Chelone, I meant to mention that I think you need a swing. I'm actually suprising myself by using it occasionally.

Have a great day everyone. Now I really am out the door.

Michelle

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County