Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Mid July at the Farm 2

gardenbug
14 years ago

There are some colorful things going on here at this time. Join me for a look.

Coreopsis Moonbeam.

{{gwi:165771}}

Some cyclamen that I grew from seed several years ago.

{{gwi:165773}}

Gillenia is a plant that should be better known. I love it! It is taller than ever this year and covered in tiny star shaped bloom.

{{gwi:165775}}

These dark astilbes make a nice combination with the yellow/green grasses.

{{gwi:165777}}

These really stand out down in the dark flats!

{{gwi:165778}}

Mary Rose is a sweet thing!

{{gwi:165779}}

New this year, a RED delphinium!

{{gwi:150649}}

Lots of poppies this year too:

{{gwi:165780}}

{{gwi:165781}}

White Epilobium (fireweed) grows by the laundry pole.

{{gwi:165783}}

Water Lilies are out only in sunny weather, close in late afternoon.

{{gwi:165784}}

And a new BRIGHT orange Echinacea 'Tiki Torch'. I hope it returns next year!

{{gwi:165785}}

Comments (11)

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

Lovely GB...that waterlily pic looks right out of a Monet painting! I love that iris too...is it a Japanese iris? How is the care of it? I'd like to put some Japanese iris on the edges of my river bed out front, but worry that my soil may be too alkaline?

I have always loved Coreopsis 'Moonbeam'...a classic and the kind of color that goes with everything...like the little black dress! :-)

Really drawn to that Tiki Torch's color. Are your worried that Tiki Torch may not be hardy? I saw V make mention of some of the newest introductions maybe not being as vigorous as they should be? At least that's what I assumed she was talking about, but I could have it all wrong. My Big Sky varieties and my Sundowner have down pretty well...but I also note that there is a lot of cross breeding going around in that patch...I should have separated them.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your lovely gardens...It's always a treat to see what's going on in your garden and all of the Idyll's gardens too. Thanks!

Ei

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Lots of great plants there - as usual! :-) Are those particularly late poppies? The only ones I have are 'Patty's Plum' and they are long since dormant.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

GB, I always enjoy your garden photos. You have many things I have never seen. I like the White Epilobium (fireweed), and the red delphinum and iris are really showy. I also enjoyed the clematis post. Norma

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woody, those poppies are the annual ones that spread by seed each year. My Patty's Plum poppies seem to have bit the dust over the past winter. I also have a few Atlas poppies, small orange ones that are quite fun and seed about.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Absolutely fabulous! All are wonderful.
    Deanne

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Everything is gorgeous, gb! I always love how you have the space to let the plants grow as they should.

Saucy

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Again lots of neat plants. Are the water lilies hardy? I really should put some in our pond. The fireweed looks pretty with the evergreen as a background.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Michelle, I planted the water lilies about 6-8 years ago and haven't bothered to get in the canoe or boots to go out and feed them since. They were in pots and I assume still are. The pond is fairly deep.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Love the waterlilies! How neat. You must be so happy with them. Have not heard of a red delphinium either. Mary Rose is a very pretty. Great pics!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

gb - there were wild waterlilies in the lake at my grandfather's place where I grew up. Nobody ever fed them and they did just fine. Your pond looks like it's big enough and deep enough and likely has enough plant debris falling into it that the waterlilies have probably just naturalized! :-) They certainly look happy there.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

A lovely collection of plants and flowers. Your are so fortunate that you do not have to contend with varmints eating them all off. I discovered some more browsing right up close to the house from last night. Not even sure what the damaged plants are...but think they are red lobelia. :-(

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21