Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_t

Idyll #275---Friendships & Gardens

just_t
17 years ago

Friendships & Gardens.......both beautiful and wonderful things.

Comments (101)

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good Morning Idylls! Can't stay as I need to do some other things online and my connection is screwed up. Don't want to lose it before I get the other work I want to do - done!

Babs...you nut! You *are* beautiful! I kept on thinking what I would give to have that *gorgeous* skin and beautiful, shiny hair! Though I completely understand about large picture closeups...LOL! If anybody has a close up of me...I want it destroyed...right now! :-)

Can't wait till the rest of you post your pics. I need them...since I have none of my own! :-(

If I'm not back before Saturday (server appointment to fix connection), well you'll know why!

Gotta go! Have a wonderful day all...it is *so* funny, who said it? Was it Babs? You are so right, I *hear* you all talking when you post now... What fun! :-)

TTYL! Ei

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I know I should be enthusing about IU3 but please allow me a little moment in a different direction. This is a very special clematis combo for me and it is out today!

{{gwi:166027}}

OK, back to regular programming now. :-)

'bug

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

For all who may be wondering...I have gone into a coasting mode. I am reading and looking at all the lovely pics, (both here and on the other threads), but not in a commenting mood. I am spending a lot less time on the computer, and more time on 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles. :-)
    Eventually I will get back in the posting mood.

Finally... 2 new pics !

{{gwi:166028}}

{{gwi:166029}}

Marian

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I forgot to thank all for their sympathy and advice about the sizing of my new pics for posting. I got an espacially nice e-mail from Woody that was filled with good advice.
    This computer has a Scanner and Camera Wizard. I haven't tried using it, so don't know what all it does.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Terrific photos Marian! How exciting!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Lovely clematis 'bug. They look great together.

Marian, how nice to see photos from you and such great ones. I like your pots of cactus. I have several that I have gotten in the last year.

Babs, now my foot is tapping. Sue and I weren't the only ones with cameras. Someone made a comment about the papparazi that we had. LOL

Michelle

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Happy Anniversary, Teresa and Jim! Workboots are so very romantic!

{{gwi:166030}}

T, you were missed at IU3. We all felt so bad you werent able to make it but understood that you just couldnt possibly miss being with your DD now! How wonderful you got to go with your DD to see the babies progress. Rest up, gma. Youre going to be busy!

What an absolutely lovely pic of you, Babs. I second Eis comment if anyone has pix of me, particularly from behind, please delete NOW!

Babs, Mary please send your kids over to dust my house. No one did it while I was gone. Tom did, however, have Ruth witness his watering technique so she could swear he actually did water my containers, lol!

Mary, good luck on the job. Im sure theyll snap you up. I cant imagine anyone not loving everything about you as soon as you enter the room!

V, have a wonderful, fun and relaxing vacation. Cant wait to hear about the job change on the horizon.

Deanne, I hope your seminar goes well. Well miss you while youre gone.

I see congrats to Michelle are in order on her DHs sons engagement! Thats wonderful news.

Oh, no! Not the dryer gremlins! I just hate to spend money on the necessaries. I hope the third one in this mini-epidemic isnt me!

Eden, where did you find those plants on sale? I think I nursery crawl is in my near future, possibly tomorrow.

Oh, Marie, please identify those clems for us. Thats an absolutely incredible photo!

Marian, you sure seem to have mastered the new camera and puter! Youre truly amazing. Dont worry, take the time and enjoy the jigsaw puzzles. Sometimes we all need to take a rest for awhile.

Ive been downloading the IU3 pix that have been posted and cant wait to see the rest of them to relive the weekend and share it with Tom. I noticed that I did have several of the same shots in the very few of mine that came out.

Well, laundry is done, so Im off to the grocery. L8R tatters

Honey

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Is this the Babs IU3 message area?

{{gwi:166031}}

LOL!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Wasn't Sue doing the bum shots?

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

I'm connected again for the minute and just wanted to get in to say to T & DH...congratulations on your anniversary! *31 years*...I bet that amazes you when you think of it! :-) That's wonderful and soon there will be more congratulations to share with you....7#'s wow and 2 of them to boot! :-)

Marian - The pics with your new camera are just beautiful...very clear! Congrats to you too! :-) I love that pic of Tommy (?) underneath the cactuses...what a pretty *and* smart kitty...I imagine it's much cooler under the table! :-) Gorgeous coleus too.

TTYL! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Oh P.S. Michelle...I think it might have been our Mary, but there could be lots of bum shots floating around! ;-)

Gorgeous pics from Honey & Bug too!

Bye! Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Believe it or not but sweet little Monique was trolling for bum shots at Ei's. She may have amassed quite a collection.

Sue

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Just a quickie here as suspected, returning to the ofc has deep payback involved..... I am dazed as to what day of the week it is; but had to hit the ground running at ofc today....so Im feeling like it should be Friday already.

I too am "hearing voices" but such nice ones!

T- congrats on your anniversary thats really wonderful and great news re the babies (sorry you couldnt make it to the IU3; would have loved to meet you but babies are important too).

Michelle thanks for the iris so sweet of you to remember! I need to dig out my blackish purple one & send to a couple who mentioned they wanted it was too hot to do before the IU3 unfortunately I ran out of time. Glad your DH enjoyed himself hes a really nice guy!!

Marian lovely photos youll be teaching us stuff re the camera soon, LOL!

Swamped here at ofc but trying to peek in my camera is still a print one so most of my photos when developed will probably be repeats of whats posted....

I am still amazed at V & Eis gardens so different but each so wonderful and unique seriously, I feel like ripping my own out & starting over!!

bug love those clem combos!!! & your friend Lynn was so nice hope to see her again get her to post too.

Meant to mention that bug shared w/ us photos & msg from EP = so nice to hear from you. Other lurkers are welcome too as long as they also continue to send heart-warming private messages!!!

Hmmm, re bum shots I think there was a conspiracy happening in that area..... I saw a lot of cameras pointed at odd angles!

Hope theres no contagion re the appliances coming this way.....
    V have a terrific vacation you more than deserve it!!!

Weve got the terrible heat & humidity back here I sure hope I dont have to drag hoses tonite would love to see a t-storm or 2 pop up.

--Cindy

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Hmmmm, OUR sweet little Monique taking bum shots! Or sweet little Mary?!

Michelle, I also forgot to thank you for the Iris. It was so sweet of you to bring it. I really appreciate it. I've got an extra Brunnera in my staged container and a Tree Peony (altho it's pink, not yellow), so I'm just going to blatantly steal Ei's combo! It's my first dwarf iris and I'm so excited to have one.

Michelle and Cindy, I also forgot to say earlier how great it was to finally meet you! I hope you continue to join us for future IU's.

Cindy, it's drizzling here and we're supposed to get some storms this pm. Hope you get them so you don't have to drag out the hose.

Have to start dinner and then go to a twp. meeting. TTYL.

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

OK Sue Yes,this IS the BAbs message area. My message is that THIS is the real me...less the wattle. I am so vain that I'm not working on dinner nor getting ready for vacation like I should be...I'm giving myself cyber nips and tucks: )
    {{gwi:166033}}

Actually I have a cute little pic of Sue's teeny tiny hiney...and MOnique's and Les' and we'll see who else!YOu have to look out for the sweet ones like Monique-they are always on the prowl; )

Honey that is a beautiful anniv. card for T & hubby.

Marian-good to see you! I think I have that same coleus-it's a nice vivid variegation. I don't know the name though: (

Eileen!!Sorry I forgot about the clematis!!Darn. I don't want to make you mail it...can you use another in your garden? Hey your garden looked pretty lush,colorful and exciting to *me*! You've been keeping your talents a secret young lady: )

~B

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Babs, I'll send you my photo and you can edit off things all you want! ;o) I think you look lovely before and after!

Honey, thank you for the card. It is beautiful.

I'm enjoying the IU3 photos and conversations. :o)

T.

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Well, we got home a few hours ago. Had a fantastic time and have been skimming the comments. Ei's and V's gardens are very different but both wonderful! Thanks to both of them (and their families) for helping out! The itinerary was fun and interesting. We enjoyed seeing everyone again and meeting new Idyllunion Idyllers and spouses. My friends Phyllis and Matt were so impressed with how friendly and fun all of you were. Matt's mom enjoyed Trudi's garden also (she lives nearby and had been there years ago when Trudi used to leave the gates open all the time for visitors).

It took about 20 minutes to download over 300 photos I took. Maybe I'll post a few tomorrow evening. I see that some of you have started already. I do have some bum shots, but me thinks that Mary has quite a few more LOL

Honey, in case you don't notice the other thread I posted on, I did have your umbrella in my palm tree bag-it looks very similar to mine and I assumed that the lost & found umbrella V brought to the hotel Sunday morn was mine. I'll email you to get your address so I can send it back.

Time to get to sleep since I didn't have enough vacation time left to take tomorrow and Friday off of work. Yuck.

GB, love the Clematis photo. Someday....

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls! This will be a short one as I am still having connection problems or worse, maybe the computer is going kaput....grr!

Anyway Babs, I had kind of decided that it would not be a good time to mail live plants, so I gave that one to my GF Dottie. I can mail you a new one in fall though, if you would like?

Glad to hear Monique arrived home safely! Hope you had a good time on your extended trip. Really enjoyed meeting your friend Phyllis and her DH (I've been trying not to use names lately). They were very sweet. Of course I'm not surprised, after meeting all the Idylls I've come to realize that there are *so* many really nice people in this world - especially right here.

Well, gotta go...my hard drive is whining! :-(

Ei

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Good morning! Thot I'd just jump in here before looking and downloading pix from the other threads.

Monique, keep the umbrella. It'll cost more to mail it than it's worth!!! Just give it a good home . I can't imagine you not having a great time on your extended stay. And your friends were great! So nice to meet them.

I don't know about you guys, but I just got a notice from PT of 2,000 hits my pix. Sheesh!

It poured here last night -- we got 1.5" in an hour. The roads were like rivers. When we got back from the twp. mtg. we heard a high-pitched whine in the house but couldn't figure out what it was. Then I remembered the basement water alarm. Luckily, we only got a little overflow from the sump pump. That poor little pump was working it's heart out! I'm going to have DH clean and inspect it thoroughly this weekend to make sure it's ok.

I'm off to look at your pix! Hi to all.

Honey

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good morning

Last night I hosted my book club's summer BBQ. Please remind me not to schedule anything 2 days after an Idyllunion - I was running round like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get the house in shape. It turned out to be a very fun evening - I grilled salmon and scallops and we had some great side dishes, then finished the evening with a moonlight swim. Today though I'm thrilled not to have anything other than getting Annie and David to camp and perhaps some gardening.

Bum shots? Me?...... Well, I do have a few, but I was diverted from my mission by an intriguing item in Ei's garden and didn't get back to the assignment.

Babs - you look just as good untouched, but it sure is fun playing with photos:0)

I'm glad Monique and Les got back safely. Another lovely person I enjoyed meeting on Saturday was Ei's best friend Dotti. We had a great lunch together at La Creperie and I'm sorry she wasn't able to join us for more of the weekend. Perhaps she'll be able to peek in and see our photo threads. Do say Hi from me if you see her Ei.

I've been thinking a lot about Ei's sister, hoping that now the assault of chemo is over she can begin the real healing.

Marian - your new camera is smashing and the photos wonderfully crisp and clear. I hope there will be many more.

Deanne - I don't think I had a chance to tell you how incredible your gardens are looking, and how cool the panoramas are. I do think a very big, glossy coffee table book would be the perfect destination for those photos. Hope teaching is going well and Doug's foot healing. When is in he next in Rochester?

I'm about to head outside before it gets too hot. I keep thinking about all the fabulous people and great places we visited at the weekend. We missed ALL of you who couldn't make it (well, perhaps not the 600+ lurkers) but know you were there in spirit.

have a good day everyone

Mary

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

I found this tea set at a thrift shop for $3.99 yesterday and planted it up.

{{gwi:151005}}

Eden

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

It is a hot humid day but I am thankful for last night's rain. This weekend I am expecting a web friend for a garden visit with her extended family, her Polish in-laws. Pretty exciting. I deadheaded the Husker's Red Penstemon this morning, mowed some more, sawed off low branches from the crabapple tree and staked the Gillenia which was flopping. But you know, I need a colourful plant for a certain spot before they come on Sunday, so MUST visit a nursery soon. Something bright blue and 3 feet tall would be nice. Perhaps I should plant some annuals, maybe salvia black & blue? All those IU3 nursery visits with my hands tied behind my back was difficult!

Well this afternoon DH is being filmed for a TV interview on his organization which monitors gravel activity in Ontario. Maybe I can entice him to eat out tonight? Cooking is not high on my list. What I really need to do is stake some unruly asters...

On the wedding front news, I am more and more pleased with what I learn about the groom. He and DD have been laying new floors in their rental home and painting walls. He has recently returned from Regina where a grizzly crime took the lives of 2 police officers. He was one of three government employees asked to attend. I am searching for what to be called by my future SIL and his son. Someone inspired me with 'Nanabanana' as a possibility. The grandmother title is making me nervous! (I'm ONLY 63 after all....)

Today DD was offerred a job she applied for. This is good news. It is a six month contract in her field. The bad news is we sort of wished she would NOT get it and would finish her thesis instead. We shall see.

I am supposed to scan in 30-40 photos of her childhood for the big event. 'Lynnflower' will also attend and help with the decorating. It is going to basically be a party, but I am sure there will be surprises. I am delighted that we will have a few days to get to know FSIL (future SIL) before hand. We'll eat out at an Ethiopian restaurant on our first evening together. Yum!

I have been promised bark chips for next week. I sure hope it works out. I must finish the veg garden soon. The weeds are just too much for one old lady to deal with!

Happy summer to one and all!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Eden, that is just amazing. So pretty- and cool looking too!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I am loving all the wonderful IU3 pictures being posted. Hint, hint Id like to see a few more from Trudis garden which we regretfully missed.
    Its a scorcher again and we are so very dry. There is a chance of storms tonight.

Eden, how cool is that? It goes perfectly with your sweet pink chairs and the lattice table and $3.50 is a bargain.

bug, how nice that Lynnflower will help with decorating. I was interested to learn about her floral design skills.

T, that is wonderful that those babies are 7# each. Such a relief to get them this far Im sure.

Later
    Michelle

• taryn
    17 years ago

PRAYERS PLEASE!!! THIS IS MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW!!!! CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING AGAIN....

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Taryn! My heart hurts for you!! Keep us informed.
    T.

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Oh Taryn - how unbelievably awful. Let us know how things are going if you can. Thinking of you

Mary

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

That's just awful Taryn! NOT what you needed now! And to think I was glad to get rain last night. If I'd only known. Well, I guess I couldn't have done much, but gee whiz- Once is more than enough!

This in from Lynnflower, keeping with the theme too:( -

While I was in Chicago my basement sprang a leak and the ceiling is falling down on my dryer. Lynnflower

As the World Turns...

Well I DID get some flowers for the island bed, Liatris. Although not at all my favourite, the choice was limited and it is colour just where I need it. Then DH helped me remove tent caterpillars from more trees. He even carried the ladder, a sure sign of returning health and energy.

DD is on the phone at every moment: what last name should I use? I need mixing bowls. Do you like this rug? How about this new site design I cooked up for the wedding? Etc Etc... At least my daughter speaks to me!

Later,
    'bug

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING CONTINUED

Oh Taryn, do you need to come here tonight?

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Oh no Taryn! That's just awful and couldn't happen at a worse time could it? I feel so bad for you guys. Looks like we're in for some rough weather too so I've got to shut things down here.

Eden

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

O, Taryn - how awful! I'll hope it recedes very quickly & no major, major damage! You poor thing. Wish you were closer so we could help!

-Cindy

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Oh Taryn that is horrible!! I'm so sorry you have an added worry as you pack up. Was there tons of water in the basement?
    It's been unbelievable here-tons of rain too(but I have a dry basement) and naturally the gutters were blocked as the clouds opened up(pine needles). Thankfully the bursts of thunderstorms had breaks in between so I could get up there to clean out the gunk. We have a flash flood warning for those areas that got flooded a month ago.

LOL T sure any photo you want retouched just email it to me!
    That's so good to hear that your g-babies are a good weight-I'm very happy for your DD. You must be so excited that it's getting closer!

G'bug-I think that's so great that your DD is calling you so much-that means she values your thoughts and it's bringing you both closer. Good that FSIL is looking even better to you!

Eden-I love that whole setting,the chairs & tables and the tea set(great deal!)is so adorable with plants in them-you are so clever: )

Yes Michelle-I also missed Trudi's so I want to see what I missed!....I'll go see...

~Babs

• taryn
    17 years ago

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the support~~I cannot believe this has happened again! Apparently we got the tail end of a tornado--unbelievable amount of rain in a very short time. But still, I've been phoning the city for YEARS because the sewers back up very easily on this corner, are obviously blocked up, to no avail. As has my poor across the street neighbor Maria, who everyone was bailing out with the buckets in the photos. This time I have documented it with photos, plus the local paper was here, so the city had better fix it. This should NOT be happening...

We pulled our vehicles across the streets to stop traffic from coming through and creating a "wake" and sending more water into our basements. Unbelievably had several vehicles drive around our temporary roadblocks and ME too, up over the sidewalk and nearly hit our house rather than turn around and use one of the other upteen sidestreets they could have used! Understand it rained heavily all over, but as far as I know it did NOT flood like this anywhere else in our neighborhood. I had told the drivers what was happening and why we were asking that they turn around, but they chose to drive through anyway. People are unreal! But on the good side, the neighbors rallied and I think we saved Maria's basement from totally flooding like last year.

I phoned 911 40 minutes after Glenn had already phoned the city but no one had shown up. The cops and then firemen showed and ran a pump to help get rid of the water on the street, then pumped out Maria's and our basement. We had a good 6" down there, but thankfully the furnace escaped being ruined again. (last summer our 1.5 year old furnace got trashed by a freak rainstorm and it cost us over $900 to repair.)

The very bad news is that Glenn was going down the ladder to start the shopvac up to get the rest of the water, and FELL DOWN the shaft! He was yelling in pain, and had already trashed his back, so I'm really worried about him now, and about how the heck we are going to be able to move if he's really injured. He made it back up the ladder on his own steam, but only after about half an hour, and it does not look good. Continued prayers and good thoughts please...

T

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Taryn, that is awful. Hope Glenn feels better soon. Smart idea on your part to call 911 since the city wasn't doing anything. Good thoughts coming your way from here!

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

Taryn, so sorry this has happened. Hope Glenn heals up quickly. Glad the emercency people responded and helped you out. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way for clear skies and a strong and healed Glenn.

My washer quit last week, and the dryer has been barely squeaking by. We bought a used set as all our money went to the van we had to buy when ours quit last month. I don't like the thought of sick appliances and or cars, being contagious. But that may be the case.

Hi everyone else. I'm beat and asleep at the computer, so I'll say buenos noches in my bad accent. Take care all and happy Idylling.

Yeona

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

Geez, Taryn, that sucks. When it rains, it pours, so to speak. Global warming at it's best. Severe weather...it's only going to get worse. It never just rains anymore. How is Glenn this morning?

We're in for some thunderstorms here today. Then 90s F again for the foreseeable future. For the first time in weeks I have no weekend plans except to deadhead, cut back, weed and clean up the overgrown garden. For the past couple of weeks I've basically been squeezing in an hour of watering and light deadheading and weeding every night after my workouts. It's not enough.

So, T, when will the babies be here?

Marie, it sounds like this whole wedding thing is starting to shape up. Glad to hear your're getting some input and becoming more excited about the whole idea.

I have a few more pictures of Trudy's garden in my Picturetrail album. I like the idea of taking pictures but I never seem to take many-even in my own garden. She was a gracious and fun woman who invited us all into her house after the tour for homemade shortbread. I think she would have been happy if we stayed for a few more hours. It's a good thing she didn't drag out any wine or she may never have gotten rid of us...lol.

Sue

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Happy Friday to all as well -- Taryn, I do hope your basement and DH are much, much better today? You were so smart to call for assistance.

'bug, sounds like DD is quite happy to ask your advice & is really getting into the bridal "thing" - it's always amazing to see how each one gets "bitten" by wanting all the details -- you're lucky to have a friend like Lynnflower (whom I enjoyed meeting very very much!) who is an expert at those occasions & can offer some advice.

Eden - meant to tell you how adorable (as usual) your tea set containers are -- you are so imaginative! Hope your Mom is doing well.

Thinking too of Ei's DS and hoping she's recovering now from her treatments....

Like Sue, my area is getting hopefully some t-storms today (it's so nasty & dry I can't believe it)... then mid & upper 90s for next week - things should burn to a crisp for sure -- I hope we don't have any energy problems. It almost makes me happy to be in an ofc (at work, ugh - almost!) w/ lots of a.c.

Im going to tape the Trudi episode on Gardener's Diary next week since I missed a bunch of photos - should be interesting to see how she's changed it from then.... I thought it was an very very tranquil setting & envied her the mature conifers she had. Would be cool to see what her "farm" is now like -- V will have to take lots of photos if she ever visits it.

Mary - have you heard re the interview yet?

--Cindy (gotta get back to work)

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

I was just going to post below only to find Taryns post! Oh Taryn, I am heartsick for you...how absolutely awful! I sure hope things are not as bad as they appear at the moment. Good that you called 911 and glad to hear that they were able to pump out your basement and that the furnace is working! Good grief! I remember you talking about DH and how you were worried about his back; while you were here...I sure hope he hasnt injured himself further. I hope you can get him to go see a doctor, just to be sure he is okay. Please keep us updated. How frustrating to know a friend is in distress and there is nothing you can really do about it, except to let them know that they are in your thoughts and prayers.

Oh well, this is what I had intended to post before reading Taryns post and is so trivial, compared to what Taryn is going through right now:

Well, it looks like my connection is good. I stayed online all night and then again this a.m., so I canceled the Saturday appointment. The bad news is that we definitely need a new computer. Whirr.....whiiiiiine......(thats the computer *and* me complaining)! Everything seems messed up, including my word program. Ive done some back up, just in case. A new computer was not on the list! We just purchased tickets to go on vacation, so Im hoping this puter will at least last for another couple of months.
    Anyway, before I forget or before my computer dies, I think Honey was looking for the Margarita recipe:

Pauls Favorite
    1 part Tequila mix (Paul says any kind is fine, but he uses 1800 Ultima Margarita Mix)
    1 part Tequila (any kind is fine, but Paul would say there is no other kind except Tres Generaciones *Sauza* Tequila its pricey)
    .75 part Cointreau
    .75 part Grand Marnier

Conversion for Margaritas for Two:
    3 oz. mix
    1 oz. Tequila
    ¾ oz. Cointreau
    ¾ oz. Grand Marnier

Moisten lip of glasses with water and line lip with coarse salt, add crushed ice and then pour Margaritas into glass.

Also, I know someone wanted the recipe for the Honeydew Spritzer too.

Honeydew Granita Spritzer (Unfortunately I cant remember where I got this recipe anymore)

Serves 6, but easily doubled, tripled, etc.

1) Puree 6 cups cubed honeydew melon (about half of a medium melon) in a blender.
    2) Pour puree through a sieve and put into a non reactive dish.
    3) In a sacuepan add ½ cup water and 1/3 cup sugar into a small saucepan.
    4) Bring sugar water to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
    5) Stir into puree. Taste puree, if you like it less sweet you can always add more lime juice.
    6) Add ¼ cup fresh lime juice (squeeze your own its better than bottled)
    7) Freeze, covered, at least 6 hours and up to several days.
    8) Bring puree out to slightly defrost (to make it easier to work with).
    9) Scrap granita and spoon about 1 cup of granita into each of 6 glasses.
    10) Pour ½ cup seltzer into each glass.
    11) Garnish with lime peels if desired.
    You dont have to be *exact* with this recipe, I sure wasnt...LOL! I just added the granita to the glass about two scoops and then poured enough seltzer water to fill the glass.
    If there were any other recipes you would like, let me know and Ill post them.

Oh and have been meaning to tell Marie to let Lynn know how happy we were to have her here too....What a sweetheart! Still amazed by all the wonderful "extended" friends that came to visit too. Of course it only makes sense that Idylls would only have other wonderful friends too! :-) I wish I lived closer, Id get the name of Lynns hairdresser. I *loved* her haircut. Oh well, it wouldnt work for my frizzy hair anyway, but is just the style that I love! So happy to hear that things are shaping up on the wedding Marie. Sounds like the future SIL is a keeper! :-)

My Dottie says "Hi" and to tell you all how happy she was to meet you all. She had a wonderful time on Saturday and sorry that she could come back on Sunday (had to work). Shes trying to get someone to replace her at hubbys business and then look for a part time job somewhere else. I told her to come in here and visit whenever she could and she said she will try, but she doesnt use the computer much and rarely even looks at her email.

Eden the tea set is so charming and I *do* so love your pink theme too. You have such a gift for serendipity and magic. I know I said it before, but I wish I could get the Morton Arboretum to see some of *your* pictures. You could really help them with making their Childrens garden more captivating and magical.

Mary thanks for the good thoughts about DS. Funny, I too think Deanne should make a coffee table book...talk about eye candy! She really does have the loveliest garden...I know I would buy a copy (as Im sure everyone here would too)! :-) Your book club barbecue sounded lovely and lots of fun too....how many people are in your group? Dottie and I have been toying with starting a book club of our own for this winter. How often do you meet and how do you choose your books?

Speaking of Deanne...she is on her business trip right now; right? Hope all is going well with her and that Doug is healing well.

Hi Marian!

Well, I guess I better be going...need to take mom grocery shopping and then to water the pots. We had rain last night too, but nothing as serious as Taryns. Lots of tornado warnings and flash flood reports on the news all night in locations near me, but not here.

Have a great day all! Hi Cindy! Did I tell you how much I enjoyed meeting you too? You really are such a sweet person and a calming influence. I was a little hyped up during all the festivities (hope it didn't show) but whenever I would look into your gentle smiling face, I would relax! :-) Yes, I think you are right about Trudi's garden....it has always been a tranquil place to be. Before she closed it to the public I always visited at least once a month to note the changes and what was in bloom. Now that I've seen her again I'm thinking maybe I'll drop by there more often...maybe she wouldn't mind letting me in to wander, if I promise not to come *every* month...LOL! I'm going to have to check our TV listings and see if Gardener's Diary will play here.

Meant to tell you guys too, that "Trudi's Garden" is really all about her life and her garden, not necessarily just focused on her garden (from what I've read). I definitely intend to get the book and would like to have Trudi sign it too! :-) I have another book called "Midwest Gardening" by Pamela Wolfe, in which Trudi is featured and there are lovely pics in that book if you ever come across it. Also in that book is another woman whom I adored and admired....Rose Vasumpaur (now deceased). She was the sweetest and most generous gardener I've ever met. Rose was originally from England and was a member of the advisory board for the Chicago Horticultural Society for many years. She was just the sweetest woman and even in her *90's* was *still* gardening on her hands and knees! She was and will always be my inspriation In fact, my Rosa glauca and my myosotis were both starts from her. I had thought about taking you guys there too, but I heard through the grapevine, the garden is no more!:-( If you guys ever pass through here again though, another garden you should try to see is Susan Beard's. I don't know her personally, but have seen her garden many times...from what I remember lots of shade. I could talk to Trudi (she knows here pretty well - they live on the same street) and maybe she would be willing to set up a peek at Susan's too.

Anyway, enough rambling from me...I need to get busy. "Hi!" to all I missed. TTYL! Ei

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

OMG, Taryn, how awful for you! What horrible timing! Keep us updated! I hope there is minimal damage from it all. Oh, and I just read about Glenn. I can understand how very worried you are. You are in our thots and prayers for the very best outcome!

Yeona, oh, no! Im so sorry to hear about more sick appliances. Thats the pits. Im really not liking this idyll trend!

Bug, Im so glad youre feeling more comfortable with the upcoming nuptials. Im with you Id vote for Nana, too. Thats great your DD got a job offer. Be happy for her. Sometimes, we parents dont always get what we want for our kids. Often their vision is very different than ours. Le Sigh, as Da would say. Also, please tell Lynn how very glad I am to have met her. I hope she takes the plunge and jumps in here. I can see why youre best friends. Shes very sweet!

Cindy, thanks for the reminder of the plant list on the CBG site. The problem is, I couldnt figure out where we were when I saw that daylily. I even tried searching for "Lady Eva" which was next to it.

Eden, that tea set is so very special! No wonder you jumped on it. I really like the contrast with the table and chairs. Great find, kiddo. Oh, and the Brug Charles Grimaldi you gave me has a bud on it!!! Im so excited. I havent fertilized it yet either. What kind of fertilizer do you use on yours?

For those unable to attend IU3, we gave V and Ei a potbelly watering can with an engraved brass plaque (not shown) on the front of it. I really think they came out nice:

{{gwi:166038}}

Also, each received a really nice fairy garden ornament. Babs, why dont you post a pic.

Sue, I just giggled when I read your comments about Trudi. I agree a little wine and wed still be there! She was such a gracious hostess. It truly was so nice of her to open up her gardens to us.

Michelle, thanks for telling us about Trudi being on TV. As soon as I can, Im going to set up my DVR so I dont miss it and can share it with DH.

Ei, please tell your friend, Dotti, how great it was to meet her! Im amazed how easily she, Lynn, Less and Moniques friends, and Vs BIL and SIL fit in the group! Idyllers ARE the best folks!

Hi Marian. And Hi EP if youre lurking! And Hi to everyone else.

Well, IU3 was truly inspiring. I went to our Farmers Market yesterday and scored 2-3 gal. pots of Cornus alba Bailhalo for $20 ea. (thats $20+ less than Ive seen them elsewhere for the same size.) I still need one more for the back corner of my garden thats constantly wet. The lilac there is drowning. I also picked up a couple nice perennials for $5 ea., and some variegated azaleas, etc. So the pot ghetto area is now inhabited again.

Sue, I need to do some serious deadheading, too. I doubt if Im going to do too much in the nest week or so were predicted to have 95 degree weather again, with overpowering humidity. I suspect that might mean t-storms at night, too.

Well, Ive babbled enough. TTYL, friends.

Honey

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Ei! I'm one of those who wanted the recipe for the honeydew drink! THANK YOU! So what is granita and where do I get it? (I know, I'm from Venus and don't know these things...)

DH just emailed me that he spoke to Silicon Sally (you know, that recorded voice) about getting Broad Band computer access here. It may be coming to our area. What a world of difference that would make!!!!Keep your fingers crossed!

A really nice message came from EP who is enjoying the IU3 events through your wonderful photos. It is neat to share with one and all.

And speaking of sharing, would you like to see how July is winding to a close here? Click below.

DD has started building a wedding web page. What ever happened to my scientific athletic daughter? ;-)

And now back to work. :(
    'bug

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I wonder if T's silence means something?????

I can only guess what Taryn's silence means....UGH, UGH, UGH! cleanup....

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, no babies yet. I just talked with DD and when I said "how do you feel?" she replied "I'm sick of this!". LOL Guess she's ready?

I hope Taryn's home is still dry and that Glenn is okay.

I'm eager to see more photos from Marian and her new camera.

I am enjoying the IU3 photos immensely.

Mary hope the call comes that you've got the job!

Eden, love the tea set!!! Wish I could come sit at that table & chairs with you.

Honey you look fabu-fabu!!!

Sue, you didn't get caught much in the photos, did you?

Loved seeing Bab's antics. What fun it looks like everyone had!

'bug, your DD's questions and desire for your input is wonderful....enjoy every phone call and email. :o) DSL and cable are still not available out here...I'm so thankful for satellite as it far surpasses dial-up, but I'd jump onto the DSL or cable if they ever become an option for us...just because they are less expensive and a bit faster. Our satellite has been more reliable than all the dial up ISPs we've tried over the years. I hope you get the broadband.

My dryer is working well (knock on wood) but I hurt my back two days ago when I was moving furniture. I've been moving gingerly (no other option) but it isn't improving yet. I need to get into better shape! Yes, round is a shape...but not the shape I was thinking of. ;oP I'm going to try to walk on the treadmill a bit as soon as I send this.

Guess that is it from here.......boring as all get out. ;o)

T.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Oh my! what fun you must have had! I looked at all the pictures and felt so, ... , oh I don't know. But I sure understand how Marian was feeling.

I was reminded of just what a fun group the Idyllettes are. And how great a toll the past 3 years have taken on me. And how dreadful the "extrication" will be. And how hard 2006 will become in hindsight.

Can you believe I've never crossed the Mississippi River?! I want to drive over it or take a ferry "the first time", though.

Sigh

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hi! Just checking in to see what's what! :-) Hi Chelone! :-)

Man, it is a steam bath out there. It is *so* hot and the air is *so* thick you could cut it with a knife. I am *not* looking forward to August. Did I ever tell you guys how much I dislike August? I like it less than Jan, Feb. & March combined!

How are you holding up Marian? Geez...I *hope* you are not getting this same weather. It's just awful. Even with air conditioning, it just doesn't feel cool in this house, so I just hate to think about you being in this. Is there a part of your house that is cooler, maybe shaded by a tree? I know you are worried about your computer, but you should have that window air conditioner in a place where *you* can enjoy it too.

T...your poor DD, I can well imagine she is ready! :-) Being pregnant with twins in this heat *cannot* be fun. Are you guys having the same heat there as we are?

Bug, I think "granita" is simply the name of the puree that is frozen. I'm glad you reminded me of your pics from Dottie. I'll try to get them from her this week-end.

Well nothing else to report. We will be having this miserable weather through Tuesday. It's all I can do to get my sorry behind out there just to water the pots. Heat makes me lazy....and cranky too...if you hadn't noticed! LOL!

TTYL! Ei

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

Thanks for your good wishes and thoughts - after being in limbo for the last 2 days I just got a call this afternoon offering me the job;0)

I thought of Taryn all night as the rain bucketed down on us, hoping things did not get worse. I'm especially worried about Glen's back.

T - take care of yours too. You need to be in good shape to cuddle those babies when they come - they sound as if they might be quite hefty!

Thanks for the recipes Ei - I'll be making both in the near future. I'll tell you more about how our book club runs this weekend.

By the way - I'm copying the combination in your front garden with alternating grass (Karl Foester?) and modarda and have just purchased a deep raspberry bee balm. Hope you don't mind stealing your idea!

Hi Chelone - its always nice when you pop in. Anything new in your neck of the woods?

Need to run to tell DH about the job

Mary

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Yay, Mary! Congratulations!

Hi Chelone. Sounds like things aren't going too well:(. Glad you could pop in even for just a short visit.

So far no severe weather here but the sky has that tell tale color and seems unsettled. Luckily I don't mind working outside when it's hot. I just pace myself and take plenty of water breaks. We don't have central air in our house, just a couple of window AC units that we only run when the humidity gets unbearable. A couple of years ago we invested in some new, more quiet and efficient models and that made a big difference. In most cases, fans work just fine for me.

OK, this work day is approaching historical status. I got little to nothing done. Maybe next week will be more productive.

Sue

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

YAaaaaaY!!! Mary, congrats to you on the new job...( can't say I was surprised because I knew they wanted you from what you said-lots of good vibes)
    So wait-you told US before your DH???Mary!: )

I just signed my contract for my new job today...it's sealed in stone now-why is that scary to sign those things..lol.

Taryn I hope things are at least stablizing for you. What a terrible worry about Glen and his back. I hope we hear soon that he's OK-though that takes so long to heal. I so wish we could help you.

Honey I don't have pics of the fairies but since I still have the boxes I could try to get pics from them(I didn't like the online images)...maybe Ei can post a pic of where she put hers when she's got some time: )

Nice that EP was heard from and that Chelone stopped by-it sounds like things aren't so great for you right now?

Well this is brief cuz I'm trying to pack for the Hocking trip.I need to be in a hottub...two more days: ) The coolest thing is that our cabin has a garden!! I hope it's a decent one...I can relax by deadheading...or rearranging the beds(can you say eviction?)? People think I'm strange when I say that is relaxing for me...is it?
    Anyway just so you know I won't be around here till probably next Fri.

Ei I loved those drinks!!!I'm taking those recipes on vaca. with me: )

Hi Yeona!!

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Taryn, how terrible. I hope that there is no serious damage, but poor Glenn. That isnt what he needs right now. Prayers and good thoughts are being sent your way.

We could sure use some of that rain. The crops are beginning to wilt with temps in the 90s and no rain predicted until at least Tues or Wed. I bought sweet corn last night from a roadside stand and the ears are so small because of the lack of rain. I spent all last night watering.

Babs, I think, but my memory is short that I promised you poppy and verbena bonarensis seeds. Is that all? I think I have your address.

Drema, you wanted poppy seeds. Did you want any of the verbena also? I need your address.

Ei, I'm not forgetting about the double red poppy seeds that I promised you.

Did I promise aquilegia (columbine) Woodside Variegata seeds to someone? My memory fails me. Please let me know.

Cindy, I meant to thank you again for getting us the free parking at the CBG.

Honey, I think we were on Evening Island when we saw the daylilies. According to the CBG website h. Precious Love is blooming now.

Mary, Im not surprised by your job offer. After meeting you Id give you a job, you are so sweet.

Chelone, hugs to you friend. It sounds like life is really getting you down. I hope you can drive across the might Miss. someday. (Maybe you can stop by my house afterwards) ;o) We crossed it at La Crosse WI when we went ot IU3.

T, I cant imagine how excited you all must be getting about the babies.

bug, is that angelica gigas in the 6th picture? Ive been looking for it. I like the way the Diablos color is echoed in the centers of the rudbeckia.

Later
    Michelle

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Michelle, not Angelica Gigas....a different one called Angelica sylvestris 'Purpurea'. I got the seeds from Clematisintegrifolia a few years back and actually got to meet him at last year's IU2. A special moment as others conspired to surprise me!

In case I am posting too much, realize that this is where the fan is situated! It is in the high 80s, no central air here, and the humidity is obscene.... Sue, better send me info on the quiet brands of A/C!!!!

Still need help with the granita. What is it? Where?
    Dumb 'bug

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

It's hot here too. We did get rain last night though accompanied by some thunder and lightning. Just a window air conditioner in our house too (and fans). I haven't turned the air on yet though, maybe later tonight. I prefer to have the house open if at all possible but sometimes that humidity gets to me.

Mary, Congratulations on the job! Great going!

Marie, I think granita is what the mixture in the recipe is called after it's frozen. So it would turn into granita in step 7 of the recipe.

Hi Chelone, sorry things don't seem to be going so well for you. It was good to hear from you.

The dryer just buzzed so off to fold laundry.

Eden