Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marian_2

Pics For Kathy

Marian_2
16 years ago

Hi Kathy, I remembered to take my camera to the One Stop Saturday morning when we went for breakfast.

Here are the pics I took:

{{gwi:166105}}

{{gwi:166106}}

{{gwi:166107}}

{{gwi:166108}}

{{gwi:166109}}

{{gwi:166110}}

{{gwi:166111}}

{{gwi:166112}}

{{gwi:166114}}

As you can see, Nolon and I were the only ones there at that time. It picks up when there is more going on in the area...such as hunting seasons. It is also busier both earlier and later in the day.

Also, the fact that she hasn't had gasoline for some time has cost her a lot of customers. New pumps are required, and hasn't been achieved yet. She is working on that.

Comments (12)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Hey Marian! When I was driving around Alberta I saw my first One Stop! I told DH all about you and Nolon stopping there occasionally!

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think Kathy has seen this yet....so I will have to keep bringing it back up to the top so she can.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Hi Marian ! Thanks for posting these pictures--If I was a photo journalist (which I am decidedly not,lol!) I would do a book of breakfast spots all across the US. I didn't get to see these till I got home today because our computers were down almost all day at work ..grrr! Are those slot machines Marian ?? Or just video games ? And how much does a breakfast cost there? Too bad she has no gas..I can see that it would be a problem for business, especially with people'just passing thorough'

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I figured something had kept you from responding. Sorry the work computers were down. Since I haven't worked (away from home) for some time, I didn't think about you being at work. :-(

The machines are video games. No slot machines anywhere in this State. In fact I haven't seen one of them since I was in my 20s, and the last was in Nevada.

Breakfast for the two of us is around $10. That includes our coffee, but we are not big eaters.

I will leave these pics up for a couple of more days before deleting them. I need the space on PT.

Marian

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to take a pic of the sign with the name on it. It is the "Compton One Stop" We still call it the "Sim's Short Stop" becuse that is the name of her old store, and she still has her bank account in that name. The old store did not have a kitchen. It was just a very small country store.

Marie, lol about you telling your DH about us eating at a One Stop. Interesting that they are in Canada also.

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Marian - I am totally impressed with your one stop. I have never seen a place so "clean"! We don't have a one stop out here, but we do have stops along the highway very similar to yours. But, they aren't nearly as clean and orderly as your one stop. Now I bet there's a bathroom in your one stop that I would never be afraid to use! :-) Ei

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Ei, the bathrooms are "clean" too. The boss-lady works late into the night cleaning. Her new house is up behind the store.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

I remember places like that in the rural area I grew up in but, as Ei says, they were never that clean! :-) But were always popular places to pop in for a quick meal on the way to wherever...

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is several miles each way from the One Stop to the next eating place, (or for gasoline [when she has some] ). Also there are lots of snacks, emergency meds, etc. We were so proud that she opened this store. All we had before was the little country store. Her mother ran it, with the daughter's help. It 'was' the favorite 'hanging' out' place for many locals...more so than the One Stop. Now there is a hardware store in the vicinity that the men hang out at. They sell snacks also, and always have a pot of free coffee! It is owned by another of our neighbors, and a friendly place to shop at. I buy bird seed and fish food there. They are less expensive than in town!

• chelone
    16 years ago

Yeah, Marian, some of us are still, "workin' slobs". :)

Your pictures made me smile; memories of going somewhere/anywhere with my father when I was "little". We ALWAYS travelled in the early morning, and we ALWAYS stopped at roadside diners/truckstops for a "wee-wee" and either breakfast or "emergency rations". We always sat at the counter, too. Come to think of it, that's probably why I'm such a confirmed "early bird"... hmmm.

I couldn't help but imagine Nolon doin' the "bubba thing" with no shirt... lol (he'd probably die if he ever learned I thought about that!). Do you have a tough time keepin' him away from the video arcade? or do you just keep him supplied with quarters? ;)

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chelone, hopefully you won't still be a " workin slob" when you are 74!
    Neither of us have ever played the video games.
    Other than eating, our only other activity there is visiting with any neighbor/friend that comes in.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Looks like a good place to order pie, especially sitting at the counter. Do they serve any?

Mary

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm