Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drema_dianne

Idyll #328- Let the Good Times Roll

drema_dianne
16 years ago

First idyll title for me.. this song has been "rolling" in my head all morning..

Come on baby, let the good times roll

Come on baby, let it through your soul

Roll all night long

I said baby this is it

This is something that I just can't miss

Roll all night long

I feel so good, sugar, when you're home

I say, come on baby

I wanna rock all night looooong

I feel so good

Now that you're home ......

Comments (103)

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Denise...snails be damned !
    Bela Lugosi

{{gwi:146826}}

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Bella! Hello, lover...

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Good morning!!! You're talking my language when you speak of Dittany of Crete. Yippee!!!! I know this plant well. Back in my herbie days Origanum dictamnus was in practically every container I planted and was used extensively in my seasonal white garden. For a long time there was argument about the botanical, and people were getting confused when they found out it was edible and technically an oregano. When it hit the AOL Herb Board, lots of newbies were complaining that their sauces just didn't taste the way they thought it would. Got that straightened out right away since it is considered a medicinal and like anything else, more is not better:-) It is one beautiful plant, and greatly underused, IMHO.

A few catchup things:

Eden -- So glad your Mom got released and that she and your Dad are just enjoying their time. How is Jen's garden doing? Has she added a Lavandula yet :-)

Deanne - There's nothing worse than misbehaving children on a plane. I think it's 'cause they know they can get away with it. A frequent flyer friend actually offered her Benedryl to a mom who's 6-year-old was acting like an infant, then turning around and smiling at said friend as if to say "I've got the upper hand, here." She figured it would be better to knock the kid out than to knock the kid out. Other times, though, flights have felt a lot shorter by coloring or reading or doing puzzles with small and engaging seatmates. Again -- Where are the parents??????

Chelone: First question -- Have you and DB researched other nursing homes for your mom, or is there no better place for her to be? If there's not, bring an advocate with you to the meeting. Your local senior citizen center or AARP can guide you to people who have no emotional attachment to the person, but who understand the nursing home industry.

And, Chelone, I say this very very very gently: if you can find it within yourself, keep an open mind about what the psychiatrist is telling you. Remember that just like any other systemic disease, chemical balance is key to treating that disease and the fallout from it. She has a urostomy because she had a systemic disease; she may need psychiatric meds (anti-psychotics are what's keeping my brother functional) to have any kind of happy life if, in fact, her behaviors are what they say. Above all, whatever your decision, the advocate will be of help if you chose to go that route. Consider it .....

Mary -- Lounging around with one's daughter poolside whilst reading is my idea of a perfect hour. Appreciate the time, and then go for whatever ice cream type dessert your bodies can handle :-)

So it's cooler in Southern California than in Connecticut. It has become an upsidedown world, yes? LOL

Best to everyone and please, stay safe in this heat!!

Martie

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all,

For some reason I couldnt get a darned thing accomplished outside yesterday. It felt that I was just wading in quicksand as far as getting anywhere. The day was topped of by my dear Douglas somehow crashing into my gorgeous Sunray fuchsia and breaking off 25% of the branches that were just beginning to bloom. He has no recollection of doing it but he was the only person anywhere near it. Im assuming he whacked it with the lawn mower handle or something. Ah well. Ill get over it and the plant will look good again by the end of September. And so it goes. Do any of you ever have a day when you start one project only to get distracted by another then another and by the time the day is done youve gone full circle back to the first project and realize that you didnt finish anything??? Well, that was yesterday. Hopefully today will be more productive.

Kathy, So sorry about the dental woes. You have my condolences. Sounds painful to your mouth and your wallet. Im so thankful the problem in my mouth was an easy fix. ~~ You mentioned your cabs of preference in the Longwood thread, have you ever tried Groth? We had a 1990 Groth Cabernet with a very shi-shi dinner a few years back and to this date that is the best cab Ive ever had. Ive never had either the Opus One or the Silver Oak. It sounds like I should save up for a special event or ask for one for a BDay present. Do you like Red Zins?

Denise, Ive had some really fine Riojas but havent tried much else from Spain. ~~ Sorry but I lol about the security system snafu. Im completely non-mechanical and would have probably done the same. ~~ Bummer that nursery doesnt ship. Id really love that plant.

Chelone, so sorry about your Mom. Sounds like your stress levels are escalating again. ~~ I hope Wrecks is OK after his run for freedom.

Babs, thanks for the tip on that book. I looked at it on Amazon and Im thinking Im going to have to order it.

Michelle, thanks for the heads up about the pink cannas at Loews. Im going to run up there and see if they have any at our store.

Martie, LOL about the friend offering the mom of the misbehaving child Benadryl!!! Thats a good one. I should have thought of that.

OK time to get the watering done and hopefully accomplish something outside today before the day heats up.

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

It's hot, hot, hot here. Bella and I have been doing nothing much other than just hanging out reading and playing Candyland and Hi Ho Cherry-O. Last night I did go through a bunch of VHS tapes of home movies from the 80s when the kids were small. Now that was entertaining, especially Brad with his 80s rockstar hairdo, lol.

Deanne, your day yesterday sounds like how everyday is with a two year old.

Chelone, sorry to hear about your troubles with your mum. I hope you're all able to come of with a solution that benifits her most of all!

Martie, we did put in one lavender plant in the herb garden in the scented plant area, between a patchouli and a lemon verbena. We may work on Jen's gardens tomorrow if it's not too hot. Things have been so busy the last few weeks that we haven't done any new areas. Next is the driveway garden. I was bummed to read that your stewartia didn't make it. Mine's one of my favorite things in the garden.

Marie, if you're warming up to daylilies maybe I should give them another look too. Especially that Bela Lugosi that Kathy mentioned.

Michelle, good score on the ajuga black scallop. I put all of my ajugas from the container gardens in the ground last fall and had just one black scallop survive. I haven't seen it for sale around here this year.

I got an email notice that my Yucca Do agaves should arrive today. I'm itching to do some rearranging in the damaged areas of the garden but need it to cool down first. Got to go get some watering of pots done though before it gets too hot this morning.

Thinking of Cynthia and Katie!

Eden

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Metro Shopping Report here:

I can attest that my local Lowes did not have ajuga Black Scallop; they do have pink cannas & that black foliaged one pretty cool looking; but only Heuchera Snow Angel came home w/ me (leaving behind Euphorbia Tasmanian Tiger it was a big plant but not sure where its going to overwinter successsfully having lost the first one) I may be forced to rethink that decision & go back for it...

V- theres a Natl Capital Succulent Society Sale on Sat & Sunday at Brookside Gardens in MD wanna come?
    In case you cant there is a cool new book "Designing with Succulents" by Debra Baldwin that looks pretty interesting it jumped into my amazon shopping cart last nite along w/ Foliage by Ondra and the Amy Stewart florist book Mary mentioned last month. . . .

Mr.Lugosi is on order already, many thanks to your photo confirmation Kathy that I needed to own him Id been eyeing it for a year and your pics decided me a month ago along w/ Indian Giver (which is NOT what I got when I ordered it last year the bloom is totally yucky on the one I received) and a couple others. . . . . Im in the purple/lavendar/red mood for daylilies apparently also need some late bloomers.

Having already gotten the plant stand & pots for ordered agaves, I think I have fully fulfilled my duty as an addicted Idyller, dont you agree?

Now if only I could locate the 2 trees from IU4 Ive decided must have... it never ends, does it?

So when one cant garden because of the high temps, one must go shopping! Is anyone else exhausted from all this shopping?

--Cindy

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Perhaps I'd get more done in the house if I stopped playing around with things like this. (tToday is cleaning day.)
    {{gwi:166180}} {{gwi:166181}} {{gwi:166182}} {{gwi:166183}}

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Just in case anyone else wants to try.
    M.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

We watched with horror the bridge collapse in Minneapolis. I called DB to make sure they were safe. Since we live only 2 miles from the MN border we feel we are part Minnesotan. Ricks son and DIL left yesterday on vacation so were out of the city.

I potted up some of the Black Scallop in a container surrounding some elephant ears. Inspired by the elephant ears in the pot of Intas garden. I didnt go to IU4 but was still inspired by the many photos. This was a good-sized gallon pot that was overflowing. It was only $4.98.

Kathy, I have a daylily that was given to me that looks a lot like your Bela. Sorry to hear about all the dental work. We have dental insurance which helps a lot.

Deanne, bummer about the fuchsia. I had a cat lay in my planter and destroyed part of that bed.

bug, adorable "baby" picture.

Michelle

• wendy2
    16 years ago

{{gwi:166184}}{{gwi:166185}}{{gwi:166186}}{{gwi:166187}}{{gwi:166188}}

Wow Mary, this is cool!

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Plants purchased this summer under influence of idylls:

Fuchsias (general)
    Coleus (general)
    Abutilon (tho small-flwrd megapotanicum)(Deanne)
    Pelargoniums, (Vancouver Cent. couple others) (general)

Echinaceas, rudbeckias - general. Have NEVER grown these plants. Perennials peter out here. PPO rule. 'Harvest Moon' is piddling along. Creatures love these daisies, worms of all type. Where are my wasp friends this year?

Datura (general) evil kin of brugs, smaller in size. Found a 'Manuel's Choice' in bud. The flwrs are so layered it smothers itself before fully opening. I think the flwrs are triples. Looks better with unopened buds. (Manuel must have been high on jimson when he chose.) I see datura seeded along freeways, full sun, yet this can only manage filtered sun for me. Deserves only faraway pic:

{{gwi:166189}}

Good morning!

• chloehoover
    16 years ago
  • wendy2
    16 years ago

Another summer day in the city - Earl the Pearl (one of the local homeless crew) is in the park across the street, topless, sunning himself, a cold one wrapped securely in the requisite paper bag. Here we sit in our air-conditioned cave looking out the window - what's wrong with this picture? Never mind me, slow day at the office today. Actually, I'm glad to be inside today, it is shaping up to be a hot one.

I'd much rather be plant shopping. I did get some nice $1 plants at a local nursery. At that place they just don't have enough shade to keep the ferns and tiarella happy, but they'll be fine in my shady yard. I'm already plotting what I want to dig and re-arrange when cooler weather comes - looking to change a few of those "what was I thinking" areas. IU4 was totally inspirational.

I did go back and re-read that letter in Horticulture magazine, and I agree with what others have said. You need to try different plants and combos in order to learn, and part of that process is to know enough remove things when they don't work. I'm all for preserving history, but it can be awfully restrictive. That 3-generation garden we saw in PA was wonderful, but the owner pointed out the rebar stakes in the corners of some of the beds that keep him from changing their size or shape when edging. I admire what he is trying to do, but that is way too restrictive for me!

Denise, welcome - glad you decided to jump in and join us! I'm now growing fuchsia and brugs, directly influenced and enabled by the Idylls. Your comment re: Manuel's Choice cracked me right up. I don't care for double flowers in general; most either flop or look lousy for me.

Chelone, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow AM. You'll be fine - you do speak your mind, but you do so intelligently and fairly. Martie's suggestion re: an advocate is a good one. Nursing homes are definitely an industry, and someone who knows the ins and outs could help you a great deal. How about her own doctor - is he involved in her care still? Maybe he could offer a second opinion. Anyway, don't let them pressure you into making decisions on the spot - request some time to consider.

Michelle, that bridge collapse was horrific - we caught some of it last night too. I thought of you - glad you and your family are OK.

I'll leave you with a thought I had while driving to work today: there are many gestures that drivers make to signal to our fellow drivers. Is there a gesture for "hang up the cell phone and concentrate on driving the car"? Many times when I see a car making a stupid move, there is a cell phone involved - I think a specific gesture is needed. Any thoughts??

I guess I have to get back to work now.

Hi to all I've missed!

-Wendy

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

OK I'm trying to keep up here with the shopping:) I picked up the Foliage book at Borders this morning. Great suggestion Babs! Here's a couple of pictures from today also. The first is my ebony angelica...

{{gwi:166196}}

{{gwi:166198}}

{{gwi:166200}}

And doll's eyes, kinda creepy name, really it's Actaea pachypoda, but very cool plant.

{{gwi:166202}}

{{gwi:166205}}

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

I'm just going to pop in and say a quick HI to everyone. It's gone crazy around here, running from one place to another, a constant stream of company, etc.
    Sweet corn is ready, so we're busy shuckin' and freezin'. It's crazy hot out today, the kind of day that makes me dream of central air.
    So, hi to everyone, I'll be back when I have more time.
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I've certainly been doing my share in the shopping department, but not much money left for chocolate!

Eden, Actaea pachypoda grows as a native here and I enjoy it too...except for the common name!

This morning I managed an hour or so of weeding before the heat and humidity bombarded me.

Kathy, you asked about my camera...It's a Panasonic Lumix, DMC-FZ20PP. It was brand new, cutting edge when I got it recently...but by now is antique. Such is the world of cameras and computers. Any credit for clarity in my photos is given to PhotoShop.

Laundry involved dealing with DH's leaking ball point pen today...The locks on the doors are at last affixed. This morning DH had to meet with guys from Google who are trying to give research money away. I have all sorts of research questions I feel they could fund, but DH says not likely... :( So I guess I won't be buying those foliage books.

Last night's dinner was cool and easy: avocado sandwiches with alfalfa sprouts and walnuts, melon on the side. I need inspiration for tonight's meal though...Perhaps shrimp with pasta.

Back to the hose...
    'bug & Charlotte

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago
  • woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Hot, hot, hot here - it was just below 90F at lunch with a humidex of 98F. That's way too hot for me! We were at a garden center this morning and I was dehydrated within about
    15 minutes. I did buy a Lonicera periclymenum Serotina' (Dutch late honeysuckle vine) to fill an empty space on the north fence and a bunch or orange-scented thyme to use as a groundcover under the new wisteria tree we're starting. I'm still trying to think what else to plant with the wisteria - something of a reasonable size but that I can keep the wisteria pruned away from.

I'm definitely going to dig out the clematises from the iron arbour and replace them with something - not sure what yet (roses?) On both sides of the arbour I now have a healthy clematis and one struck by wilt. None of the clematises on the arbour are what the tags said they were and, since it will be impossible I think to get rid of the sick ones while leaving the healthy ones intact, I figure it's going to be easier to just dig them all out and start over with something else. It is so dry here that it will be impossible to dig anything out until we get a few good rains - and who knows when that will be?! I keep hoping for a thunderstorm or two with this heat and humidity but there hasn't been any signs of one.

Yesterday we were supposed to have an onion bhaji session with the friend who taught us how to make samosas. But her air conditioning had conked out so we postponed it. Barb and I decided to try on our own with a recipe from the Internet. They looked good but tasted bland! I think we needed 3-4x the spices the recipe called for and a lot more onion. We kept adding onions to the batter as we went so the later ones were better than the first ones but the spicing was sadly lacking! Here's what they looked like:
    {{gwi:166226}}

After the disappointing bhaji session, I decided to go on a cleaning binge. I finally got rid of a closet full of my business suits that I haven't worn in 10 years and am not likely to ever wear again. It felt a bit like disposing of the effects of someone who had died! But now I have more closet space....

Chelone - that's a tough situation again for you, your brother and your mother. Barb, who works for me one day a week, specializes in dementia in her other job (hmmm... I hope that's not significant!) She has lots of interesting tales to tell - she was kicked in the head the other day by someone when she was tying their shoes. But she says most of the time things like that are not deliberate and, if the staff is paying attention and actually like the people and the work (as she does), most residents are easily managed. But there are exceptions - and (she says) too many lazy staff with bad attitudes. So listen closely to determine which situation your mother is in - perhaps a bit of both... (I remember your description of the event with your brother that led to the decision that she needed professional care.) I'm sure there are no easy answers when dealing with issues like that. I'm sure you'll continue to handle it with your usual grace and strength.

Kathy - my sympathies on your dental woes! Dentists are not my favorite people. I only have a few daylilies. My favorite is one called Summer Wine. The name sounds appropriate for your area :-)

Cynthia - I just saw the thread on Katie. I hope you finally get some answers. If Katie was good during a spinal tap, she deserves a huge treat. I've had two of those and, believe me, it's not a fun experience!

Wendy - you could probably effectively use some ASL signs to deal with the cellphone drivers. Use the signs for 'hang up the phone' and 'drive'. Do it emphatically and they'd get the message! Phone is a Y handshape (little finger out, three middle fingers bent to your palm and thumb out) held to your ear - the hand mimes the receiver of the phone. To say 'hang up!', rotate your hand down to mimic hanging up the receiver on a phone. For 'drive', the hands grasp an imaginary steering wheel and move it as if a person is driving a car. Combine the two gestures and you'd get 'hang up the phone and drive!' Most people would be able to figure out what you meant I think - assuming they saw you. Probably the 'hang up the phone' part would be sufficient.

I'm sure I was going to comment on other things but my brain is addled in the heat I think :-)

• chelone
    16 years ago

Apologies to each of you because while I've tried to read and digest what I'm sure are WICKED fun posts I've been unsuccessful. Worried about tomorrow, but know it will be OK. My brother and I are "smarter than the average bear", we aren't given to "knee jerk" reactions, nor is "strong arming" the way get us to bow to prevailing will.

Martie, I don't think you were around for the first bout with LTC facilities. Mum's urostomy has been a sticking point since it was performed. In the past 3 years we've YET to find hospital staff (2), let alone LTC facility (3) staff capable of manageing it properly, in spite of repeated assurances that the staff was capable. The more they tried to "assure" us the more suspicious we became... and we were RIGHT.
    1.) They don't understand that the pouch must emptied when it is 1/3 full. Every 3-4 hrs. IF they've adequately hydrated the patient. A pouch approaching the dimensions of the Hindenburg is a disaster waiting to happen; in more ways than one.
    2.) They don't understand that a neo-bladder and urostomy REQUIRES the patient to comsume minimally 48 oz. of water/DEcaffienated beverage daily (that's for an elderly, inactive person). A neo-bladder is a the equivilent of an interstate to the kidneys. They passed anatomy/physiology but they can't answer the most basic questions about kidney function... Loop of Henley? what's that? (important, that's what!).
    3.) They don't understand that the patient must be hooked up to a night collection reservoir to ensure a sound night's sleep. This entails hooking up to a tube that directs the continuous output of urine to a "jug", RATHER than allowing the pouch to overfill. The latter weakens the seal of the urostomy wafer applied to the skin, irritates the skin, and backwashes urine into the neo-bladder. Result? URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS. (this is a major cause of "loopy" behavior in the frail elderly).
    4.) Basic inability to deal with the 2 pc. urosotomy "appliance", at all. Inablility to properly clean and prep. the skin for the application of the adhesive "wafer" (the flange to which the pouch is sealed). Result? failure and leaks within hours and resultant urine burns to the skin that supports the stoma. This is, effectively, "diaper rash" that has a tougher time healing because the skin has to be covered by the wafer!

It's all basically glue and tupperware; but if you think the RNs on staff know diddly about it... guess again! the poor staffers know less. But will any the knuckleheads admit they don't know how to do it? Too often, NO, they're too busy extolling their "credentials" and empathy. Why would they (the "educated") deign to solicit practical advice/techniques from those of us who mastered the whole thing in under a week. Nothin' like "time in the trenches" to teach the lessons... what used to be called "clinical rotation", I believe. :)

Mum had exactly ONE UTI under my care... she brought it home from the "rehab. facility"! It's been my pleasure to deal with 2 urologists and 3 "stoma/wound care" nurses and every single one of them has told me I've forgotten more about urostomy care than 98% of the rest of the medical profession will ever know. I've learned what I know the HARD WAY... doing it twice weekly for over 3 years.

I'm "cool" with pyschiatrists and I'm cool with their insights on dementia and its sad progression. BUT, when I'm unsure about the careful management of Mum's urostomy and all the inherent perils that sneak in when lack of attention to detail is so evident I am "loaded for bear". I have my camera packed and plan to change her urostomy myself (I want to see the skin around the stoma!!!).

There are too many variables in this equation for it to be solved in one meeting. My brother shares my opinion. We did as much research as could be done with respect to selcting a LTC facility; but you have to understand that Mum is not the "average" patient. And THAT'S the crux of the issue... they appear to be regarding her as such, and oversights in the care she daily requires have put her in a vulnerable position. We can't, sadly, be there to supervise every day. And besides, shouldn't $300/day include attention to detail?

I'm not fit company for anything except beating the dog... Wrecks? where are you when I need you...

;)

• galium
    16 years ago

chelone-good luck tomorrow. Looking at health care from both sides of the aisle IE: as a patient and a health care provider I can understand your anger. Some health care providers treat family like they are stupid and couldn't possibly understand the medical lingo. Stick to your guns!

Martie what is WFF???

It's been a miserably hot day here. This type of weather just sucks the life out of me. I spent most of the day shredding old bank, credit card, etc. statements. My DH saves everything....Hate to say it but he's been collecting these things for years. I was sick of it so I ordered a shredder from Staples. Right now I have 6 tall kitchen garbage bags filled with shredded paper for recycling. I'm not even 1/2 way finished.

deniesez-I received a Mosaic book for my birthday and in it are instructions for Mosaicking rocks. Never though about that. Good luck with your jar.

Michelle-I would love to see a photo of your Stained Glass Stakes.

Thought I'd include a photo of my last daylily bloom.
    Daylily 'Royal Palace Prince'
    {{gwi:166227}}

My DD made this for Mother's Day
    {{gwi:166228}}

This is the bird bath she made for me from 2 Terra cotta pots and saucers.
    {{gwi:166229}}

Does anyone listen to Josh Groban? A friend of mine sent me one of his Cd's. What a voice he has-gives me chills. Good chills........

Have a great evening.
    Mariann

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Oh, another fun one!

I decided that Veronicastrum is too long and V too short, so instead I will give you a good thought:

{{gwi:166230}}{{gwi:166231}}{{gwi:166232}} {{gwi:166233}} {{gwi:166234}} {{gwi:166235}}

hmm, not sure why that little broken link shows up?

Chelone, my best thoughts to you and your brother tomorrow.

On a sad note, my DB is in the hospital and he is losing his battle with esophageal cancer. I'm going to see him on Saturday. Any good thoughts and prayers you can send his direction would be appreciated.

I'll end on a happy note - my agaves arrived today. I'll be able to go to pot this weekend!

V.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

My agaves arrived today too. Not looking forward to potting them up. I got some good pokes just pulling them out of the shredded newspaper packaging.

V, best thoughts and prayers for your brother. I had thought he was winning his battle. I'm so sorry to hear otherwise.

Chelone, I'll be thinking of you and your family tomorrow.

Hi Brenda, good to see you check in!

Mariann, I really like your birdbath.

I hope it's a little cooler here tomorrow. Jen and I are working on her driveway bed. I'm hoping to talk Brad into coming over in the morning and removing some sod that's growing in the area. He's much better at that than I am.

I hope Sue checks in tomorrow and lets us know how she's feeling. She's been on my mind. Hope her stiff neck's gone!

Time for bed here.

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

I noticed today when I did my post-work garden stroll that my garden is on the cusp of entering that late summer phase where things just look a trifle tired .I think some careful pruning and deadheading this weekend can expose the stuff that still looks good. When in doubt, prune it out !

Denise, thanks for the tip on buying plants after a dental procedure. Lets see, Im going to be sedated for my next procedure (Valium I think) so when DS picks me up maybe we should swing by the garden center ? He can wheel the cart for me so I dont crash into any unsuspecting fellow shoppers.
    Greenfingers ! Yeah , I saw that oneand of course who can forget Amazing Grace with the pot-growing matron ? There just arent a lot of horticultural themed films are there? About the only other one I can think of is "Little Shop of Horrors" !

Martie, I agree that Dittany of Crete is underused-not to mention all the other cool ornamental Oreganos- Kent Beauty, Hopleys etc. Ive never used it in a container. I must give it a try next year..

Deanne, maybe the Sunray" accident will double your bloom count ! Think of all the new growth.. Interestingly, Groth is located right across Oakville Crossroad from Silver Oak . My DH worked at Plumpjack which is Groths next door neighbor. I cant recal ever having a Groth wine. And I love Zin.! The best are actually grown in the Dry Creek area of Sonoma County- Healdsburg area just south of Cloverdale. Lytton Springs makes an excellent Zin It gets really hot over there which is favored by Zinfandel.

Eden , I wish Id taken more daylily pics , theyve been quite enjoyable for me this year. I hadnt done much with them at all before. What I like is that they peak after the first rose flush and just before the Oriental lilies .
    And Cindy, what you mentioned about yucky color really is spot-on.I cant think of another plant where the color can be so variable. I try to buy most of mine from Maryotts which is here in Northern Cal, hoping that I will get colors that are true to the pics on their website.It seems like the biggest issue I have is that many of them seem to turn to peach-color which I really dont care for. Like you I rip them up and give them away and try something else.

Hi Brenda-glad you checked in

bug, thanks for the camera info..we dont have Photoshop, and the utility program that came with my Canon A540 has not been fully utilized-that might require reading the instructions ! Not as powerful as Photoshop though .You get what you pay for.

Chelone, I hope things go well for you tomorrow. I cant imagine how medical professionals could fail to understand the treatment regimen required for Mums urostomy. I would think that she was not the only patient to come over the threshold with this type of issue ? Good vibes to you and bro in any case.

Mariann, I like that Royal Palace Prince, and the birdbath is very cool ! Yikes with the shredding .. get some grass clippings and you could make some great hot compost !

OK gotta go..night all and hi to those unmentioned ..

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all, its going to be a very hot one here today with T storms around.

I thought you'd all want to know that Sue's not well lately and apparently has gotten some tick born disease, Erlychiosis, that was finally diagnosed after she went through some serious pain issues. She gave me leave to let you know so please send all good throughts her way for a speedy recovery.

Kathy, one of the best red zins I've ever had was an Old Vines Zin from Dry Creek Vinyards. That was the wine that got me addicted to Old Vine Zins. Love em. ~~ Definitely "When in doubt prune it out". I'm a fanatic about grooming and it keeps the borders looking so much better.

Eden and V I'm jealous of your agaves but not the job of potting them up.

Eden, Love the pics! Thanks for posting them. I always love to see photos of your gardens. That angelica is marvelous.

Hi Brenda! Thanks for checking in!

V my thoughts and prayers are with your brother and your family.

Mariann, yes love Josh Groban. He has a magnificent voice. ~~ Love the birdbath! I'd never have guessed it was a couple saucers and pots.

Chelone, thinking of you today.

Woody, they look pretty yummy. Bummer they tasted bland. You'll just have to make another batch, right?

Thought you'd be interested to see this photo of my fasciated lily. It didn't drop the billions of buds as predicted and actually bloomed. It looks like a bride's boquet.
    {{gwi:166236}}

Yesterday I decided to enlarge the container garden area. What a huge job to do in the heat but I survived the experience and the plants are looking happier with the extra room. I added about another three feet on this end of it. I warned Doug I'm thinking of going all the way to the garden with the persicaria next year. LOL ~~ That's the Sunray fuchsia in the foreground in the urn next to the brug. I turned it so you can't see the hole in the plant.
    {{gwi:166237}}

And here is a closeup of one of the containers. I've finallyl gotten a couple callas blooming in this one.
    {{gwi:166238}}

OK must get my day started here. Have a good one and stay cool everyone.

{{gwi:166211}} {{gwi:166239}} {{gwi:166240}} {{gwi:166241}} {{gwi:166242}} {{gwi:166243}}

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Good scorching morning. Spent yesterday on the road, doubled my normal gas consumption by keeping A/C on all day, and didn't give a hoot!! We're lucky to have central in the house -- a Camellia thinks it's winter already and is budding up!! Any relief will be welcome ...

Galium: WFF is White Flower Farm, one of the very first mail order plant companies in the U.S. It is regarded with awe and deservedly so. Their prices are a "tad" on the high side, but the plants worth it. To go to the farm is like walking into the perfect display garden sanctuary, and a June trip to see the tuberous begonia house in bloom is a must. Their catalog, as Kathy pointed out, is more of a reference book than anything else. They are located in Litchfield, CT, on a quiet hill that's easily accessible and has great restaurants nearby. What else could one want??? LOL

Chelone: I'll be "with" you today. I didn't understand the urostomy history and am stunned at the ineptitude, or lack of care, that your Mom seems to be receiving. Find An Advocate!!!! Doing so is not admitting weakness nor lack of knowledge, but is a great way to bring in an objective look. If the home is wrong, it's the advocate's job to say so and get things fixed. Institutions listen to advocates long before they'll listen to family, and I've learned this over several different circumstances. Stick to your guns, have a glass of wine ready for when it's over, and do some deadheading pretending that the dead flowers are the administrators :-)

Eden -- Glad Jen has a lav. A garden wouldn't be a garden without it.

Love, love, love datura and have enjoyed it growing wild for as long as I can remember. It was the plant that taught me "poisonous," like teaching "hot" to a toddler when they go near a grill.

Won't have time to check out the name spelling link, but am enjoying everyone elses. Especially like V's.

Running and sweating already. Have a great day, everyone!

Martie

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Thinking of Sue. Just not the same....

{{gwi:166244}} {{gwi:166245}} {{gwi:166246}} {{gwi:166248}}

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Well, Ive lost my silly edge here for the moment -- It sounds as though we are entering Friday on a serious note lots of troubles.

Michelle saw your post re Minneapolis afterwards I am so glad to hear no one you knew was involved it surely is a horrible tragedy.

Thinking of Miss Katie Grey and her owner good thoughts.
    Good thoughts for Edens mom too.

And yikes, more sadness re Vs DB -- I'm thinking of you and your family. I hope things go quietly for you all.

and Chelones troubles re the LTC & Moms care Chelone you and I could exchange a lot of horror tales Im sure it is a very sad state of affairs I think others have noted here re this industry and the health care in our country in total just as in early childhood education, when you have aides making minimum wages (& in PA a lot of them were actually imports from other countries!), etc., its a terrible thing to have to but your head against. Yes, $300 a day Should get you great care, but the reality is it does NOT unless youre there daily to check and badger for it . It is pretty much a no-win situation for everyone all we can do is make the best of if we can without killing ourselves or others over it. Im thinking of you much.

O wow, Sue what a horrible year youve had I hope 2007 is it for you for the next decade for medical woes. Do you need help getting ready for your September open days? Maybe some of us could come do a weekend "clean-up" prep thing for you? Please let us know Id be happy to try to arrange to help with some notice.

Deanne wow, cool lily, uh? My fasciated lily did not do that; it lost some of its buds last year but did bloom but not quite so lovely as that. This year it was okay altho a huge number of my lilies seem to be in great distress this year and never bloomed or were bitten off. I in fact stopped myself from placing a big order for more this week, because Im not sure whats going on with them no signs of the lily beetle but something affected them, thats for sure. So rather than throw money in the dirt, I think Im going to hold off to see what happens. I sure did want to get more Sumatra and Chamertin though...

Mariann lovely ornaments your daughter is talented.

Wendy/Woody I like that idea of starting a mainstream gesture to signal drivers re hanging up on the freaking cell phone! AAArgh it is one of the most annoying things I encounter daily. Right now the gesture Im thinking of would be all too well understood the one that goes the "read between these finger lines" . . . . .

Kathy did you say "Dry Creek"? Ah one of our great IU4 pleasures the Dry Creek Chardonnay (I think?) she brought that we all raved about & Deanne gave us some wine tips on! It was terrific.

Gardenbug you beat me to it I was thinking those tiles would be a good substitute for TGIF it seems a somber TGIF for a bunch of reasons.

A hot, hot, hot heck one its going to be I could grouse about my 2 hours commute home last nite but think its pretty trite in relation to other peoples problems. I hope its a peaceful weekend. As V said, Peace to all.

-Cindy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Thanks Marie! I seem to be falling down on the job lately. Thanks to all for the well wishes. I wanted to post but haven't been able to spend much time at the computer.

This will have to be short since I'm attempting to work today for the first time since last week. As Deanne said I've been diagnosed with Erlychiosis. Apparently you get it from a tick bite but as far as I know I've never been bitten. I spent last Friday night in the ER for 7 hours (mostly suffering in excrutiating pain while I waited for somebody to look at me). Up until Tuesday morning pain management was a huge issue. My kitchen counter looks like a drug factory with all the pain killers and muscle relaxers they had me try. Then I decided to disregard the pharmacy instructions and just double dosed myself with Percoset and I slept for a couple of hours for the first time in days. Now I'm on antibiotics as well and am supposed to stay out of the sun for 21 days. Goodbye garden.

Anyway, it sounds like I'm not the only one with problems. I'll be thinking of you all. V, sorry to hear about your brother. Chelone, if anyone can straighten out a nursing home it would be you.

Gotta run...

Sue

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Hi Sue, so glad you popped in for a minute. I just can't believe the amount of health crapola you've dealt with this year. Was the cellulitis associated with this thing as well? So, so sorry. ~~RE the gardens - as Cindy said anytime you need help with garden stuff please, please just give a holler. There are enough of us around that we could get everything spiffed up in no time if you could deal with letting a bunch of Idyllers loose in your gardens for a weekend. WE are all experienced and really could help so give it some thought. ~~I've got about nine billion containers (well maybe a few less than that) that Doug and I could bring down for you to borrow for your tour if you want. I couldn't fit the big brugs in the car but I know quite a few of them would fit. Hoping you get well REALLY soon.

Well, its already horrible outside and is 85 degrees at 10:00AM so I'm assuming it is probably going to hit the high nineties as predicted. I had to come in and cool off as I wasn't feeling too perky.

This is another shot I took of those lilies last night. The not only are prolific they got incredibly tall. Id guess they are 6.5 to 7 feet tall this year.
    {{gwi:166249}}

And another view of the container garden showing my Eupatorium Little Joe that just started blooming on the fence in front of the containers.
    {{gwi:166250}}

Here is a shot I took of the terrace garden last evening. I really am not in love with all those Stargazer lilies here and am thinking of changing them out for something else but these lilies have been in this garden for more years than I can count and it seems sad to move them, but, that pale yellow of 'Tarragona' would be so much prettier here.
    {{gwi:166251}}

Cindy thats terrible that youre having problems with your lilies. Have you tried to figured out whats going on with them? Do you think its a critter eating them? As much as a pain it is to deal with the dratted lily beetles I cant imagine my gardens without the Orientals in August. They smell so divine! ~~ Sorry about your miserable commute yesterday.

OK Im now cooled off and coffeed up, time to go brave the heat again. Later Gators
    Deanne

• just_t
    16 years ago

I've fallen behind on Idyll reading and I've missed you guys big time!

I'm so very thankful to read that Eden's mother is back home (I pray she'll feel well for a very long time!).

Hello to all the 'new' posters!

V, I'm so sorry to read that your DB isn't doing well. My best to you and you'll be on my mind, your brother and family in my prayers.

Sue....how awful! I'm not familiar with any tick borne diseases other than a little bit of knowledge about Lyme's disease. I will read up on Erlychiosis so I will know what you are fighting and hope that you'll feel much better soon.

Chelone, I worked in a urology speciality clinic for 5 years doing patient care and assisting the physicians during procedures/exams. I do know what you are going through and it is not rocket science.....the health care workers in your mother's facility should be able to grasp the importance and should have been easily able to master taking care of the stoma site and keeping your mother 'healthy'. It is sad if that has not been the case. I hope your meeting goes well.

Dang, brain fade hit and I am at a loss as to what else I was going to comment on. This is the problem with just reading and not posting often along with those times that I'm unable to read daily. I'll try to be a better Idyller. ;o)

I'm suppose to go babysit Thomas today while James & his mom get their teeth cleaned, but James began running a temp of 102° at dinnertime last night and then began 'tossing his cookies' about 8 pm. His mom called to tell me I'd probably be watching both boys while she kept her appt.....but she might cancelled her appt. too if he stayed so sick. I am babysitting the twins on Monday, so hope this isn't something that everyone is going to be sharing....... blech!

The twins are soon to be 1 year old! Crawling at warp speed (thankfully they are usually heading in the same direction so watching them isn't impossible). At times, corralling them is similiar to herding cats, so it is keeping me on my toes. I usually watch them 3 days a week, so it has been busy around here. I told DH that I don't need to worry about sun damaged skin this year.....I never get outside! Next spring and summer they will be walking well enough that we'll all be able to go outside. I loved seeing Kenzie and Bella helping in their g'mothers' gardens and look forward to having the boys be outside with me.

Well.....the coffee cup is empty and I really want it filled. Then I will phone to see how James & Thomas are doing and if I am babysitting them this morning.

Take care!
    T.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Gosh, Sue, I just Googled Erlychiosis. How godawful. Good to hear you've sorted the pain issues out. That's nice, having to stay out of the sun in August! It certainly looks like you've been mistaken for the biblical Job this year!

Chelone & V., thinking of your tribulations this Friday. I think Deanne's got our back on the wine list this weekend which is much appreciated. We've got a huge nursing shortage here in Calif and, paradoxically, a 2-year wait to get in a nursing program. Go figure. This spring I was met at a job at a govt bldg by some angry nurses demonstrating our Gov's decision to deem them "supervisors," thereby cutting off any overtime. The Gov reasons that nurses tell assistants what to do. Good idea, to further PO overworked, understaffed nurses -- not!!

Kathy, I do know why I've avoided daylilies; it just seems bottomless. Even my salvia lust has abated. But Bela still calls, so there's nothing to be done but answer. Is he tall? I am growing the real-deal dittany of Crete in a moss basket too, which I'll move into the ground in fall. Making copious notes on wine advice.

Wendy, I enjoyed reading your park vignette. I was lost and late for a job downtown recently. Approached all the groomed and suited people, and no one could offer directions. Who the heck would know where this blasted bldg is....oh, right. In desperation, yes, I approached a "gentleman of the road." Of course, HE knew where the bldg was, and was amazingly courteous with directions, even walking me partway. Made it on time, and bless him for that.

Calif. just quietly passed a law July 1 banning cell phone use while driving. I think two days later my DH got nailed with a ticket. Chertoff of Homeland Security fame was in the harbor to check things out, and cops were e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. Also got hit for no seatbelt -- rebel! His last ticket 15 yrs ago, you guessed it, was for no seatbelt. I've never seen him NOT wear a seatbelt and he's not too chatty with a cell phone either. The cop called it a "courtesy" ticket. Uh, thanks, Officer.

Eden, I completely agree that Brad's the man for removing that sod, and you can tell him I said so! (And he's, Who the heck is that ...?) I've got some thick leather gloves for wrestling agaves. Don't feel a thing. (See the cover of the new Horticulture? you guys are cutting edge.)

Hi, T., you sound very busy! Stunning pix, Deanne. I yearn for eupatorium.
    A rousing second to the TGIF. Hello to all.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

It's bright and sunny here but my thoughts are turned to all those with challenges this morning.

Sue - so sorry to hear you have been in such pain. I know you have a pretty high tolerance so it must have been unbearable. I've never heard of that disease (nor can I pronounce it) but hope the barrage of drugs will make short work of it. Hope they gave you some good ones. With a garden in as good a shape as yours I'm sure it will respond perfectly to a quick whip round and tidy up when you're allowed back into the trenches. Or perhaps you could garden at night?

V - many good thoughts going your way for your brother. Glad your family are all so close to support each other.

Chelone - while I'm typing this I'm thinking what a great advocate you are for your mother and can almost hear you laying down the law at the nursing home. Hope you too get speedy results, a better quality of life for Mum and some peace of mind for you and your brother.

Also thinking of those others in pain, or with ailing loved ones.

Deanne - your photos are simply wonderful and I hope are lifting the spirits of those in need. I'm loving my orientals right now though have found I have better success with them in pots where I can protect them from the larger critters (deer, voles) than in the ground.

I'm trying to beat the heat and put in my couple of hours in the garden early today. My big achievement was staking the Helianthus lemon queen before (rather than after) the heavy storms we're predicted later. By the time I was done I was sticky all over - our humidity is way up. I timed my skinny dip better this morning, avoiding both the Fed-Ex guy and my kids (who would no doubt think it totally gross.) I guess I should probably learn to cover up more.

{{gwi:166252}} {{gwi:166253}} {{gwi:166254}} {{gwi:166256}}
    Mary

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Hi, all! So much to catch up on, but I want to send good thoughts to V, Chelone and Sue.

Some excitement on the farm this morning. One of the guys we farm with was coming over to get some sweet corn, and saw a guy on a motorcycle hit a fawn. He's a local guy with a bit of a drinking problem. He was flying down the road at a spot where deer always cross..there's a culvert under the road and a ditch where they drink. Killed the fawn, threw the guy off the motorcycle and he went skidding down the road...dressed only in shorts and flip flops. Jim said he wouldn't go to the hospital, just wanted his motorcycle taken home. The guys got a plank and got it into the truck and took it to his house, and the guy's girlfriend was going to tend his wounds. Jim said it looked like the guy was probably going to lose one of his toes, and he looked like 180 lbs of raw hamburger. I'm not sure how flying down the road half naked on a cycle drunk at 8:00 a.m. seemed like a good idea to the guy, but I bet he's going to regret it for a long, long time.
    I was just stunned to see the bridge collapse in Minnesota. We've been across that bridge more than once, and others, and just never give it a thought. They interviewed a fireman on the news last night that just broke my heart. Michelle, I'm glad to hear that your family is safe. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to see something like that on the news, and have family that regularly travel that route..the waiting and wondering would be pure hell, and my thoughts go out to all those people.
    ((Chelone))
    ((V))
    ((Sue))...but only if it doesn't cause pain!
    I'll have to cut this short, but am here in spirit ;)
    Brenda

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Quick driveby to thank Eden for the pix of the angelica (and the doll's eyes! Makes me think of Quint's soliloquy in Jaws about sharks having doll's eyes! yikes!) I've never had the A. gigas bloom. Now that I think about it, even the straight archangelica is only a foliage plant for me. What excitement for you and 'bug.

And, Woody, re ripping out the clematis and going for roses: Ramblers, incredibly supple for training. Sure, once bloomers, but then no Japanese beetles issues (if you have any). Wish I was zoned for Alberic Barbier. Try a search on the Antique Rose Forum. You could replant some clematis for later bloom, but they wouldn't have the burden of being the only focal point on the arbor.

Mary, I bet green goes well with that great tan you no doubt have ;o)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Looking for some

{{gwi:166264}} {{gwi:166266}} {{gwi:166266}} {{gwi:166269}}

news - and just discovered that in spite of severe thunderstorm warnings now, tomorrow's high is expected to be 73F! YEAH!

I tried to find some humor on Google to share with you, but the jokes I located were all weak weak weak....

And so I'll leave you with hopes for a weekend with smiles!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Good morning Idylls.

V, Im so sorry to hear that your DB has had a relapse. My thoughts and prayers will be for him and your entire family.

Sue, wow you sure have been through a lot lately. I hope you whip this thing and start feeling better.

Deanne, your garden is looking fabulous and I love the Stargazers in there. Funny that your container area is "growing" Your fuchsias look stunning. I keep buying them per your influence but they look pretty sad this year.

T, when you mentioned taking the twins outside, I just grinned. Kenzie loves to put rocks and sticks in her mouth. I have to watch her like a hawk. While we were camping she put some kind of weed in her hair that had small burrs. It was horrible trying to get it out. The seeds had to be taken out one at a time. I gave her some gum to distract her. I hope little James is feeling better and you dont have a "messy" day.

Chelone, I hope all goes well today and that you can "educate" them.

Mariann, wonderful birdbath. Funny, but most of the garden stakes have been gifts or donated for charity auctions.

Eden, great pictures from your garden. Both are very cool and interesting plants.

Its supposed to be another hot one, but there is a 50% chance of rain. We didnt get any the other day. We are 4" behind normal which means a lot for the crops.

Heres hoping for a wet anniversary. Its our 11th.

{{gwi:166271}}{{gwi:166273}}{{gwi:166275}}{{gwi:166278}}{{gwi:166280}}{{gwi:166282}}{{gwi:166283}}{{gwi:166284}}

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Just a quick fly-by here, TGIF for sure - it has been a crazy afternoon here at work.

Good thoughts for Chelone, V, and Sue.

Woody, thanks for the sign language tip - I'll have to practice that one!

Eden, love the cool and shady pics.

Deanne, your place looks wonderful - I need to come see it all in person soon.

Leaving you with a festive Friday bum shot in the classical motif - from the garden we visited at IU4 two weeks ago tonite.

{{gwi:166285}}

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Went out to lunch today - shoulda just cooked an egg on the sidewalk cheap that's for sure - it's so hot out there. Our present chief of the nation was across the street and they had all the streets in a 4 block radius blocked off - no cars, buses, etc. -- & wall to wall police -- I had to take a walking detour to even get to the restaurant - just what I wanted extra blocks in 97 degree heat.... grimace. [They started blocking everything off about 3 hours before he got there -- so it's now taken up at least 1/2 day for people trying to find parking anywhere in this area -do u think they gave up and just went home?]

Hey, Deanne - you could try Scheherazade lilies (like we saw at Chanticleer) in that area instead of the star gazers (altho those are the biggest baddest patch of those Ive ever seen that youve got!) Those Schez. always gets rave reviews about how strong stems, fragrance, etc. -- it combines yellow & pinks/reds. I keep looking at them myself because everyone seems to love it when its planted. I dont know whats up w/ my lilies this year they all starting dying on the stalk so to speak at various times unfortunately Im hoping(?) to attribute it to huge lack of water while I was gone for those periods in May/June during my Moms last illness & death it started about then, esp. after Id been gone for those 12 days when nothing got watered. Not that I expect theyll miraculously ressurect themselves after dying of thirst (or being overwatered, which might have been another problem in another area where I ran the sprinkler for hours). . . . all in all, I just decided not to be too distraught about it this year as Im not sure what happened and see how things go next maybe I will just have to replant a bunch of new ones. I am really missing them though my Casablancas turned into these spindly small blooms you never guess thats what they were; the only thing putting on a decent show now is Black Beauty. But the early Asiatics did really well before I left town so Im hoping it was mostly the water issue guess time will tell.

Denise I did hear re the nursing shortage that part of the problem is the nursing schools do not have enough instructors/teachers to teach! I think it was U of AZ who turned away several thousand "qualified" applicants this year because they did not have room for them to put in classes w/ enough teachers another conundrum. And apparently Nursing Schools are somewhat of a "dying breed" too in education... like veterinarian schools. . . . Not the wave of the future someones missing the boat here. But w/ the shortage of education funds for public schools another dilemma!

O man, Deanne youre just trying to make us feel bad w/ all those wonderful photos, right? Everything is simply stunning unlike my tired, dry, burnt-out beds. Your photos are a lovely sight for sore eyes.

Brenda I sure am glad you didnt have to get involved in any of that bike/drunk accident bit? My nephew is still recovering from his almost-fatal one last August his body will never be the same and is still not healing its amazing what heavy scraping can do to a human body. Raw hamburger probably describes it well.

Denize re the Hort. Mag cover shot I was going to inquire (after looking thruout the mag but not seeing it identified) what is that huge agave in the lower right? sharkskin or something? Its really a lovely shade. Any ideas, Ms. Agave Expert?

T- you sure do get g-mom award re the sitting what patience & fortitude you must have.

Ending w/ a glad note to see that Sue is feeling sufficiently better that she checked in here boy, I think Denise might be right about that biblical Job nickname!

Mary, glad to hear you were spared surprise visitors for your "constitutional" wet frolic.

Ok back to suffering at work. Happy Anniversary, Michelle!

--Cindy

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Kathy-I guess I do recall as a little kid loving to examine our World Book Encyclopedia section on the human body-it had those same overlays....I think there was also one of a frog. The things I remember: ) I also wanted one of those clear plastic models of the body that had the systems visible lol.

Deanne after reading that book I can't fall asleep at night because I am putting together foliage combos in my head(fun!). It also had good info on how different colored foliage requires different care for the best color & survival. Now you probably already know all this stuff,lol, but it should help me quite a bit!

Oh Eden-how cool that you bought it! I'm glad that little ole me found something that interests you.lol. I found three newly forming flower buds on my Clero...check yours maybe you do too.

I'm wishing the best for Chelone's meeting tomorrow.

How terrible that Sue has that big word that I can't pronounce either! Please take care of yourself & feel better soon. Let us know how you are doing.

V-I'm sorry to hear about your brother-it's very sad. I'm thinking of you.

Michelle I'm glad your family is OK. I traveled over a few bridges yesterday and I hated the thoughts I was having. It ends up that a few of Cleveland's bridges are of the same design.

I have no car today. LOooong story-short(hey I heard that sigh of relief ; ). Chris & AJ were on their way to the Indians game. The car started acting funny on the highway. Luckily he was smart enough to take the very next exit when the car died. Cracked radiator. The first business they walked to(in a not so great & pretty desolate neighborhood)was a printshop and the woman at the desk was very rude and unkind to them.(She wanted them to wait for their ride outside in the blistering heat among other things). Maybe she thought he was a thug....in a screaming Hawaiian shirt and that baby face? Luckily I was not school supply shopping yet so he could reach me(I am the last person on earth with no cell). When I arrived to rescue them AJ was in tears happy to see me & devastated that a person could be so mean to someone needing help. I said just remember never to do that when you have the opportunity to help someone. I know he won't.

We went down the street to a different place(tire garage)so we coiuld call a tow truck and the lady there was accomodating and pleasant. I told AJ he can have faith in the world because there are kind people in the world too: )...now if they had gotten stranded at Chelone's he would have been really surprised lol.
    The great news? I'm expecting this 13 yr old Honda to be not worth restoring.....maybe a new car on the horizon : )

OK so that wasn't such a long story-short. I'm Blabs.

OH there's MORE- sorry. We did later go to Target yesterday and as we got into the car there were rumbles of thunder coming close. We made it to Target,started to shop & suddenly it sounded like the ceiling was exploding(not really).Hail and torrents of rain fell that lasted for about 20 min. Naturally my brain was screaming,HAIL!MY PLANTS!Eventually, after we bought every item in the store(yeah)...we came home and NOT ONE-did you hear? NOT ONE drop of rain or hail fell at my house-we are only two miles from Target. I assumed the position once again.(Bought a 150' hose: )

Hi T! I don't mean to laugh but I too have wonderful memories of the first handful of dirt AJ sampled at 12mos.(and the sand and grass and...) AJ still loves when I tell the story of my horror. I was so sure he would end up with strep or lock jaw...they grow up in spite of us: )

{{gwi:166286}} {{gwi:166288}} {{gwi:166289}} {{gwi:166290}} {{gwi:166291}}

p.s. The Indians WON. Chris and AJ missed a good game

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Blabs - you're name looks so classy! How rotten that women must have been to upset your two sweet boys.

Wendy - your skills with the camera have given me a whole new insight and admiration into your personality!! I'm so glad I got to spend time with you at IU4 (especially in room 218) - was it really only 2 weeks ago?

Michelle - happy anniversary;0)

Woody - onion bahji are a great favorite here. Yours look delicious. If you perfect the recipe could I have a copy? I believe they are made with chick pea flour which is perfect for a gluten-free diet.

I'm just bolting down a delayed lunch before picking David up from Summer Fun. I had fresh cherries for breakfast and the same at lunch time - they were so delicious. But arriving home a few minutes ago I was seized by hunger and could eat a horse. Not having one in the fridge I'm enjoying some left over mashed potatoes and pulled pork instead.

I am the official moderator of the Chicklits bookgroup this year and this afternoon had a tutorial on managing our website. I'm kinda excited, but not being much of a technoweenie I'm also a little nervous. Out next event is an outing to see the musical Menopause - anyone want to join us? it should be a lot of fun. Unfortunately our group is closed to the public - we had problems with wierd lurkers trying to join, otherwise you could follow along.

Yikes, gotta dash

Mary

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Michelle, next time Kenzie gets stuff stuck in her hair..gum, burdocks, whatever.. peanut butter...yes I mean it!..seems to remove everything! I'd suggest the smooth version, not crunchy. ;-)

Cindy, your lunchtime tale reminds me of days in the '60s in Nigeria. Each time a "dignitary" drove past our area the school kids were required to march a mile down the road and stand there cheering for hours until the person in question eventually drove past. Absolutely a horrendous waste of time. You can imagine hours in 95 temperatures and 95% humidity. A grim business in many ways....

Congratulations to the anniversary couple! Just think, back in the 15th century, you'd be harvesting like this! (Also your castle would look like that too!)
    {{gwi:166328}}

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Another quick pop-in to answer Cindy, before I forget, I don't have a clue what the agave is on the cover, and Hort. inexcusably doesn't give a name. Looks like a giant, tho. (You are a periodical called Horticulture, right? And you do aim to appease plant zealots, right??) I scanned the rest of Hort. and saw Hinkley discusses restios. So proud mama has slimmest of reasons to show photo DS took yesterday of my Chondropetalum, fooling around with his new SLR dig camera -- nothin' but techno-talk around here, tho I too remain a technoweenie. The vase shape is stunning, but DS chose detail. Hinkley's photos weren't all that great either ;>)

{{gwi:166329}}

Happy Anniversary, Michelle! See wine list provided above...

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Denise - that photos is just beautiful. What sort of camera does your DS have? My DH is a photographer, but I'm a point and shoot sort of gal. I'm intrigued to check out the articles in this month's Hort next time I'm at the library.

GB - is that from Les Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry? That was one of my favorite topics when I studed art history adn got me interested in book binding (another life.) I'll have to remember the peanut butter trick - does it work on dogs?

T - how are the grandbabies doing?

Mary

• chelone
    16 years ago

I was not arrested for felonious behavior! and it's all behind me for the time being. I am enjoying a glass of Pinot Grigio.

My brother was effectively "beside himself" when I arrived at his home; I knew because he was puttering around making up flashing for his garage... . I asked him what he thought was going to "go down" and we decided our strategy would be to let them direct things and interject when the opportunities arose. They were pretty much stunned when I walked into the room, a lot of sideways glances at each other. :) (wimpy handshakes, too... didn't look me in the eyes). Meeting started with a discussion of how disruptive Mum has been in the past two weeks; I asked for details of the "events" and asked who had witnessed them. Details were scarce. I asked about the time of day they occured; typically late afternoon... "sun downers"? yes, suspected. They asked US what they were going to do? I suggested using the "scientific method" and begin by checking the basics... "how much water is Mum drinking daily?" didn't know. "She must have 48 oz./day to maintain adequate hydration and keep her neo-bladder and the requisite urinary pouch from becoming a breeding ground for UTIs"; we measure fluids in cc s. "Don't you have a conversion chart? I'm sure you could download one in a few seconds... "; silence. "What has the stoma nurse at the medical facility next door had to offer?"; we didn't call her, we didn't think it was necessary. "You didn't think it might be a good idea to establish a rapport with a stoma nurse NEXT DOOR when you clearly had no practical experience with urostomies and were unable to adequately change the appliance for the better part a month? If I may be so blunt, that seems like common sense to me. Moreover, my mother has had 2 UTIs in 4 months, she has 1 in 39 mos. with me, and brought that one home from a rehab. center.". Embarrassed silence, during which time I presented the nurse with a ton of literature on urostomies from Conva Tec, as well as their hotline number, a contact name, AND the name of the area Conva Tec representative (all are very well trained). We asked about exercise, fresh air, outings... minimal. Not surprising. The the head administrator and director of nursing arrived shortly thereafter. The admin. guy "strongly" objected to our blunt assessment of their ability to manage an urostomy patient. "Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating... the reality IS that your facility utterly failed to provide the most basic adherence to the fundamentals. I don't want to hear any more about your credentials... I want to see you start using them.". I suspect they don't often get legal guardians like my brother and me.

Upshot? the replacement hearing aids, increased hydration, and greater attention to the fundamentals of urostomy care, as well as increased exercise OUTDOORS are to be the focus of the new "program" for the short term. It was made very clear to them that medicating a elderly woman "livn' in her own private Idaho" WASN'T going to be the first option. Not when they'd failed so utterly and miserably on the very points of concern my brother raised repeatedly before admitting Mum.

Then we talked about the hearing aids and the "loss" of Mum's personal property. And it was made perfectly clear that the missing items are to be replaced in a timely manner and that the inconvenience it has caused is not to be repeated. I will be following this up with strongly worded letter.

My big brother has, I think, a new appreciation for his little sister (he calls me his "little pit bull"; I hate dogs!). He remarked that watching me write down names and take notes blew him away! and he quietly thanked me 2 times for coming down for the meeting. It's been a tough month for him; he's lost 2 friends, and one of his cats, and has been beating himself up over selecting the wrong place for Mum. I told him not to waste time on the latter... there are no guarantees and trusting people are often the ones prone to "guilt". I teased him, telling him I really did understand just how it felt to be absolutely overwhelmed... "yeah, now I get it".

I'm whipped. Traffic was dreadful coming home.

Sue, the sickest I've been in my life was with Lyme Disease. I don't doubt you must feel some crummy! did the do a Lyme titer on you? Check out the New England FAQ for my story and my insights on that. Take good care, we need more people like you in our world!

Hi to everyone else; I promise to reread with a less distracted mind, but know I think of you guys every single day in one way or another.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

EXCELLENT!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Skimming and see Sue has Ehrlichiosis!?!?! That's a serious TBD and we now test all of our greyhounds coming up from the south for it, but to get it from a tick in Southern Connecticut is very unusual. Local labs aren't even good at identifying it. Doxycycline for 3 weeks is what we use if the dogs test positive. I know Sue loves me comparing her to a greyhound :)

Thing is, that above the south most vets (and MDs) really aren't familiar with TBDs other than Lyme and RMSF and treat for all sorts of other things. There are two or three good labs in the country that test accurately for it: Protatek in Arizona, NCSU, and I think Cornell. One type of test looks for antibodies,(IFA) and another test looks for the actual organism (PCR). I could go on for days about this. I get Protatek full panel done on all my dogs, and was happy to have that baseline when Monty got sick this spring and then Katie so we could rule that out first. But for Katie we had the PCR done just in case and then put her on 3 weeks of doxy anyway. TBDs mimic other diseases and in the North there just isn't a lot of knowledge about them.

Sue, if it is Ehrlichiosis, you could have been bitten by a tick 5 or 10 years ago, had some mild flue like symptoms and then it went dormant. It comes back when the body is being stressed by other things. Hope it hasn't done too much damage and you can get it under control and out of your system for good.

Deanne, your gardens look totally stunning! I've got the back yard burned to a complete crisp thing going on and wonder if anything will survive for next year. Have soakers going in two gardens now but it's too little too late. I try to keep the front looking presentable.

Very cool photos. Denise's stopped me dead in my scroll.

Ok, got someone coming to meet Foster Fudge tonight, so need to run through the downstairs with a bag and wipe down the kitchen. To hot to walk much today, but I'll see if Dannie & Fudge want to go.

Katie has a new hat collection to cover her bald dome. I added photos to her thread :)

{{gwi:166330}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Cynthia, 21 days of Doxycycline is exactly the course of treatment I'm following. Two pills a day. My new best friend, Dr. Feelgood, the doc in a box I've had to rely on recently added it as one of the blood tests he ordered last Friday. My doctor is calling it Lyme so I need to find out if I have both or if she just refers to any TBD as Lyme.

Best wishes to Katie, BTW. Zoe had a spinal tap at the same time she had her MRI in February.

Go get 'em, Chelone!

OK, salmon just came off the grill. Most food hasn't interested me much in the past week but I'm slowly getting some appetite back. It helps to stick to only stuff you feel like eating.

Later,

Sue

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I googled your ailment, Sue, or rather WebMD'd it :) and came up with just the opposite Cynthia - apparently there is a large outbreak area in CT (I suspect it's more like there's a large population who's getting tested now).

Hope you're on the mend, soon.

V., I hope you have some good time with your brother tomorrow. It must be a tough time for your family.

Eden, glad to hear of your mom's homecoming. I often say things aloud at the computer but am slow to type them out.

Happy anniversary to Michelle and DH!

I knew Chelone and bro' would make a dynamic duo :) My mom's a live in nurse and I'm proud to say that I think she's an excellent advocate for her patients. She's always worrying about diets and fresh air, even if it's opening windows or a sit on the porch.

Speaking of the porch. I got caught in a really good rain storm tonight, inside the truck. It sounded just like sitting on Grandma's front porch under it's tin roof. Sitting in those old sort of bouncing chairs surrounded by stinky red geraniums (that got dragged in every winter - they were huge!) talking about how the storm was coming in over Short Mountain. She loved to sit on the porch when it rained.

I'm still reading my good book, Mary, "Best Friends" by Martha Moody. I rather think your club might like it for a quick summer fun read. It's sort of written like a diary, easy reading....the reason I brought it up is because I'm off to read it :)

'night all....more from me tomorrow.

Saucy

(thanks for all the well wishes....nasty cold, DON'T CATCH IT!!!....reminds me, T. hope the babes are all well and let 'em eat dirt! Makes them good gardeners....Jake flossed with worms :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting