Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2_gw

IU4 Day 3

wendy2
16 years ago

Some our group departed on Sunday morning, and we were truly sad to see them go. The rest of us decided to tour the Scott Arboretum, which is on the campus of Swarthmore College. Since I am a plant name nerd, I loved the fact that everything was labeled; many of my pictures were boring close-ups that showed the plant with the label. I did manage to get a few interesting shots though.

This is the group at the amphitheater - what a beautiful place. There is a stage at the bottom. We all were wishing that Mary had her violin with her!

{{gwi:166423}}

We were all entertained by the Edith Ann chair, and that's the truth!

{{gwi:166424}}

I was especially enamored by the shade gardens. The contrast of the rounded leaves and the erect form of the fruiting arisaema gave some of us a few ideas

{{gwi:166426}}

Not only were the plants beautiful, but the architecture was stunning as well. I found myself lagging behind the group to take another picture.

{{gwi:166427}}

Comments (9)

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Great group shots Wendy..I think this would be pics of Idyllers Idylling !

Kathy in Napa

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Thanks Wendy for starting the day 3 photos.

I loved this Hosta 'Bright Lights'
    {{gwi:166430}}

First group photo of many
    {{gwi:166432}}

I need this vine that looks like a Rex Begonia. It's called Cissus discolor (as Wendy mentioned, I love when everything is labeled)
    {{gwi:166433}}

{{gwi:166434}}

Resting along the way
    {{gwi:166435}}

{{gwi:166436}}

{{gwi:166437}}

{{gwi:166438}}

Wonderful metal gates at the rose garden
    {{gwi:166439}}

Here is a link that might be useful: IU4-day 3

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

I have a few to offer --

We still managed to clown around even on Day 3:

{{gwi:166440}}

{{gwi:166441}}

{{gwi:166443}}

{{gwi:166444}}

This Pawlonia just amazed me - they apparently coppice it every year:

{{gwi:166445}}

Another magnificent specimen:

{{gwi:166446}}

{{gwi:166447}}

• just_t
    16 years ago

The photos are so much fun to see, thank you to everyone who is sharing them with us.

I laugh each time I see a photo of that chair.....it looks and sounds like the group had a wonderful time!

T.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

You can certainly tell that Sunday was a mellower day!

Scott Arboretum was a fun stop and a beautiful campus.

This was the day I discovered that my camera eats batteries, so I have no photos to share of this stop.

Cindy, do those shorts make my butt look big?

V.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

V- I thought the romantic out-of-focus Kodak moment caught by the photographer was just you getting ready to bend over, LOL - Im sure that's what was going on - a bum shot gone wrong. Or else you were simply background -- it was the pond she was hoping for.

--Cindy

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Thanks Wendy,Monique,and Cindy. It's really fun to see the gang hanging out-the idylls lounging on larger than life furniture is a riot.
    Chelone it's fun to see how comfortable you were in front of the camera....anything good inside the j. maple?

That gate at the rose garden is really beautiful. Thanks for posting these.
    ~B

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

My Mom was the class of 1933! I remember no talk of gardens, only that she was required to dive off the diving board to be able to graduate. In the end, she was pushed!

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Great photographs! I just love them all. I sure wish Doug and I had been able to stay for this garden also but its fun to see it in pictures. Thanks for sharing your great day.
    Deanne