Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

#327 Refreshed.....with new ideas!!!

saucydog
16 years ago

Carry on!

So glad you posted "dianthus"! We enjoyed both you and your SIL's company!

For those not in the know....dianthus is V's SIL!

Comments (100)

• chloehoover
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ok, Cynthia - expect to be plant sitting this winter, LOL....
    I am weak, weak, weak - I probably bought the remains of Yucca Do. Now, I guess I need to buy another plant stand.

Geez, Sue -- Im so sorry your neck is still a problem - guess you'll be getting cozy w/ Dr. Feelgood then? better have it checked out first before you go chiropractor, unless you have had the same prior problem....?

Still not a lick of rain in this area.... those agave may be going in the ground after all if no rain and high temps continue into winter!

--Cindy

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hey Sue

Could your neck pain have been caused by laughing uncontrollably while sitting on the floor drinking wine? (In that case I'd expect a wicked neckache too.) Hope you find some relief. Perhaps more wine?

Mary

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Gee Sue, what a time you've been having! I hope you find some solutions soon. Perhaps Mary is right, wine is a solution, right? Of course with those acorns of yours, I'd expect a neck problem...

Here is a collection of things to amuse you on a Friday.
    (My server is down now, so they should show up later!..Grrrr)

First is DH's new toy:
    {{gwi:166483}}

My new vehicle! The first garden item I've ever received without hints!
    {{gwi:166484}}

Those garden storage hooks I find so useful:
    {{gwi:166485}}

Clematis Purpurea Plena Elegans is in bloom now.
    {{gwi:166486}}

Close your eyes Woody, yellow Echinacea Sunrise blooming now too.
    {{gwi:166487}}

Eden, my kids were pretty good sleepers too...especially in their teens! In addition to the 3 hour sleep habits, Reed's brother is a very early riser and has been waking Sarah. The other day she was up from 3am until 6:30am. At 6:38 SS bounced on the bed...He was shocked when he got an earful! His mother has been troublesome too. Recently she decided it would be a great idea to move to a new house on the same block as her ex....The saga continues.

Back to the weeds now...
    'bug

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Just a quickie, I went out to take picture of the Spiral Aloe for Eden, but forgot to get the closeup! Too sunny for pics this morning anyway - the spiral is in there somewhere :) For newbies, I fenced my patio to keep the dogs from falling into the gardens.

{{gwi:146494}}

The Brugs were all in bloom last night and the air smelled heavenly.

{{gwi:166489}}

I like my uni-pots :)
    {{gwi:166490}}

{{gwi:166492}}

This is a poor picture, but decided to post it because Dannie is reference to show just how big that urn at backyard enrance is! The I.Blackie has gobbled up the artichoke :(

{{gwi:166494}}

• chelone
    16 years ago

I love that urn, Cynthia. Drool... is it an antique? care to share its provenance? Also, how's Dannie's obedience training going? have you noticed any appreciable change in her confidence level?I think if her ever single time I hear a rumble of thunder, lol.

Sue, you've had a rather unpleasant stretch of it lately, haven't you? do they give discounts for frequent visits at Dr. Feelgood's? You should ask... ;) have you placed the Schnauzer statue yet? I can't wait to see a shot of it in situ.

I received an "early release" today. I finished up the cushion job way ahead of schedule (they look awesome, in a really classy striped awning fabric) and since it's a hot one my boss told me to skeedaddle as soon as I was finished. I'm eyeing the hayfield that used to be the lawn... but am not quite sure I want to pull the trigger on that task. Putting some rescued annuals into window boxes to replace the Browallias that failed seems more "do-able" right now. The Huge One is sacked out on the bed downstairs and I think I might just turn the fan on for him in a bit... wouldn't want the fleabag to overheat and ruin our "investment" now, would we? All cats are very l o n g today and not terribly active. It's a lime green undies day, Mary.

Hang tough, Marian. I know your health is rather up and down and the present down condition will abate sometime. Go easy on yourself.

So, Eden, how much different are the sun and shade patterns in your garden now that the tree is gone? I've been wondering about that, esp. since I've been watching watch happens daily in the garage vicinity (very sunny right now!) It's dry here, too. I wish everyone a bountiful and gentle rain to alleviate drought.

Honey, have thought of you often recently. Hope all is well. And I, too, commend you for takin' the bull by the horns and seeing that DD does what she must to protect her future interests. Nothin' wrong with that.

Wondering, too, about Deanne. Maybe she's still sorting through photographs and deadheading the fleet of containers. Would like to know, though...

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Cindy, that's not being weak it's just part of being a good Idyller I think. We tend to go over the top with plant purchases from time to time.

Martie, so Rich has been bitten by the coleus bug? Has he checked out Rosy Dawn's website?

Marie, love the color and dh looks so happy behind the wheel. I got a new garden cart too but not as big or as nice as yours. I needed something small to maneuver around the garden hauling mulch. Mine's molded plastic and resembles a Little Tikes toy, lol. I have the e. sunrise too and think I may move it closer to my Blue Paradise. Nice combo.

Oh Cynthia, it's always a special treat when you post pics. I like your mono pots too. You have a knack for arranging them all together. My artichoke hasn't grown as big or as fast as I thought it would. I like the Blackie in the BIG urn with yours.I always wish I was able to transport myself into your pics, walk around and see more. Oh, I did order that spiral aloe last night. Hi Dannie! How's sister Katie and brother Monty doing?

Chelone, how great to get out early on a Friday no less! When it gets hot here my cats "deflate". Between the power line tree trimmers and the fallen tree gone I have much more sun. The recent tree lose gave me late day sun, it was on the west side of my garden. I have lots of burnt hostas. I keep forgetting to tell you that I purchases a 6 pack of browallia due to your mention and I love them. I have them in my front beds. I think Deanne said that she'd be away teaching this week.

Eden

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Hooody hooo!

Just checking in to say welcome back IUidylls....I guess I'm late at that since you were all returning home when I was leaving town for Hocking Hills. I just returned yesterday.
    Kathy-Hocking Hills is a wonderful nature haven in southeastern Ohio. We go there often and rent a cabin so we can relax,hike or do whatever. This time we visited a nearby town of Lancaster which has a historical background dating from before the time of the Civil War. We took a tour of the Hocking glass museum, and a couple other historical homes in Lancaster.We also managed to find a couple ice cream parlors: ) We all had a nice relaxing time. The boys fished(25 fish,& one snapping turtle!),we took turns snatching our one copy of the latest Harry Potter from each other-it got pretty cut throat after a while.

Fun seeing IU pics....uh,there have to be more pics,right?Please : )? Loved seeing the idyll reflections(Wendy,Mary,Chelone & Saucy) and Les popping out of the tropicals....Sue you need to do something about those acorns of yours...hello maybe that's why you have a neckache?lol. When I get a neckache I pop the advil and grab the hot waterbottle to loosen up the muscle...the worst one I had took two-three days of that. You need a massage.

Eden it sounds like you're surviving the storm cleanup fairly well. I hope your mom is continuing her good progress too. Back in the 'archives' you mention feeling bad about discussing the difficult situation of your mom's but I'm glad you've shared with us so we can help give you support when you need it. That's what friends are for.

Honey-oh your DD's situation is just horrible! I went from feeling sympathy that SIL needed psych help and now I'm angry that he's being manipulative....what a mess. I hope your DD can work through this quickly so she can get back a better life--I would definitely stress to her that she deserves much better than what she's had. It's a tough step but worth it. I hope she realizes it soon.

Welcome to Galium!! And Dianthus too--didn't I tour V's prairie with you?? I remember it was fun talking with you and I'm glad you finally stopped by to discuss!

This a spotty post;I know I've missed things I wanted to say(I have a mind sieve)but I hope to stop in with pics from our vaca. soon...

~Babs

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Do these make my bum look big?
    {{gwi:166496}}
    (They come up to the poor monkey's armpits too - you can see why they didn't make it to IU4.) Gotta run - I think I can hear the FedEx truck.

Welcome back Babs!

• chelone
    16 years ago

I've finished watering the very dehydrated windowboxes and am now "killin' time" until the water has had a chance to infiltrated the peat in the potting mix. Imagine my glee to see the the lime green undies so beautifully displayed!

Eden, have you ever used Browallia before? it's very old-fashioned and because it's a plant that responds to heat it usually looks crappy early on. And that means it gets passed over and remains unsold... the kiss of death when talkin' about annuals and whether or not they'll be available NEXT year (what I've encountered locally). I just love it, but sometimes it craps out by mid-June here... esp. if it's cold (like this year). Mark my words: it'll show up as a Proven Winner in a year, two. At far too much money, lol. (I don't think the PW label is worth the price, at all, not for a "throwaway plant").

Should I mow, or not? dunno...

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Dont have much time but wanted to comment -- Cynthia -- as always your photos are stunning and your patio is fantastic -- worthy of inclusion into Chanticleer photo ops -- Wow - lush and tropical - totally fabulous. And That is one big honking urn.

O my -- Mary -- I just know the fedex guy appreciated those greenies.

-cindy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Just back from an emergency nursery getaway. Since I finally planted 2 epimediums that I'd bought back in May, I figured I needed to celebrate. I finally found Echinacea Vintage Wine (first time sited since IU3!) as well as a lovely Primula capitata 'Noverna Deep Blue', a gorgeous fern (Polystichum setiferum 'Herrenhausen'), Salvia 'Pink Delight', Carex oshimensis Evergold, an enormous Cerastostigma plumbaginoides (not Browalia but a great blue nevertheless), and Sedum spurium 'Voodoo'....all large and at sale prices. FUN! But not exactly the way to empty the plant ghetto.

Welcome back Babs & Co!
    Congratulations Cindy on your weakness! ;-)
    Honey, I completely agree with Chelone about protecting DD's future interests when she is feeling deflated and hurt. DSIL gave away his home when his ex-wife ran off, simply because he wanted everything over with and settled fast. Not only was that a huge mistake (he'd been warned) but resolving custody issues later has been a long painful process. He discovered that he simply can't expect someone he once thought he understood to act reasonably.
    Cynthia, beautiful as always. I too enjoy your uni-pots! Your gardens look relaxing and elegant. Maybe it's Dannie that adds to the sophisticated touch.
    Hope Marian is watering her pots by now.
    Dianthus, I hope you have a camera so you can share your gardens with us.
    Hi Eden, Marty, Saucy, Wendy...heck, HI EVERYONE!

Hot as Hades here today. I'll have to wait and water later if it doesn't pour as promised.
    'bug

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Some amusement for you - Copper and Misty play pictures. Copper thinks Misty is a squeaky toy. And Misty enjoys the attention - most of the time. At 15 months, Copper is still more puppy than adult - and doesn't seem to come with an 'off' switch! She's lots of fun and very cute but very exhausting too. Honey can probably relate to that statement...:-) What was Charlotte like as a puppy GB? Briards and Bouviers seem to share a lot of characteristics so I hope Copper eventually becomes more Charlotte-like! Copper goes home on Sunday and Misty and I will probably collapse in exhaustion. The two of them really are good buddies but the unequal size is a bit disconcerting at first when you watch them play. Misty likes the 'high ground' so she can be as tall as Copper. Yesterday at one point they were tussling on the bed - Misty on top of the bed and Copper from the floor. When I came out of the bathroom a few minutes later, Misty was snoozing on the pillows and Copper was peacefully posed as the Sphinx on the bed facing me (she's not allowed on the bed....) Here's a bit of a play session from a little while ago in the office:

I'M the Queen of the castle.
    {{gwi:166498}}

Not for long says Copper.
    {{gwi:152001}}

Misty reclaiming the throne after being rolled onto the floor...
    {{gwi:166499}}

GB - I like yellow coneflowers - at your place....:-) Nice car. Randy wants something like that for our next one. We miss our old Toyota hatchback - you could stuff a lot of things into it. A sedan just isn't as handy that way. Those look like good hooks. I'm leaving the fixing up of the inside of the shed entirely to Randy. He's Mr. neat-and-organized. I'm the messy slob who just stuffs things in any old way!

Cynthia - ditto what Cindy says... It's always a pleasure to see pictures of your garden (and dogs...)

Marian - I hope you're feeling better soon.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

As it sat here working an online game of Solitaire, and waiting for the Tramadol to kick in, I came to the realization that I am fortunate that my parents were not wealthy. I may have been pampered, and would not have attained the strenght that I have.
    For all who are not very familiar with the Fibromyalgia Syndrome, I am posting a very good link that has all anyone needs to know about it. The "Topics A-Z" is espacially informative, espacially the link " Invisible Disorders".... to those who wonder about the fact that most of 'us' look so well). Also the one on "Fibrofog".

The Tramadol has worked! I feel 100% better! Wish it didn't cause so many side effects.

BTW, Marie, there is a very large green frog puzzle on my dinningroom table that is nearing completion...:-)
    It,( and the solitaire), is filling in for the void that was created last Sunday following an uncomfortable situation that arose in the afternoon.
    I'll do the plant watering in the evening.

LOL, Misty and Copper...better your house than mine, Susan.
    I hope Misty doesn't ever get hurt by Copper's enthusiasm. Trubby and Tommy get into minor hassles with the Dorky Dude, but so far no one has been injured.I never let the Dude indoors, although I know he would love to come in. Two cats in the house is more than enough for me.
    I miss my old Toyota station wagon for the same reason... It was so handy for hauling stuff, and much easier to unload. Every year at this time, for several years, it hauled all my potted plants, flower arrangements,veggies, and photos to the County Fair. I don't miss doing that, in fact I didn't even go last year.

LOL, Nolon is the "messy slob" at our place. His 'shop' looks like the city dump inside!

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Shoot...I forgot the link !!!!

• chelone
    16 years ago

Loser girl, here. I've folded the laundry, washed the dishes, and done some other minor housekeeping chores, but still can't face the lawnmower. (wimpy).

Woody, that neo-classical loveseat is to DIE FOR. We have a similar sofa, and it's bcome Rex's favorite observation point. It was gorgeous, in tourquoise velveteen, but now it's hopelessly soiled. (I hate dogs).

The puppy thing... minimum 2-3 years. Rex was an idiot for the first two and he STILL is! Do the Obedience thing and continue with the classes; and PRACTICE, practice, practice. Sometimes you think, "jesus! I can't DO this anymore". But that's precicely the point at which you MUST do it and insist that your dog OBEY within 3 seconds of the command; when you repeat it, follow it up with a physical placement of the dog!). Breeds have distinct personalities and you have to accept and understand that. The "herding" breeds are independent by nature and you really have to work to convince them they must listen to YOU. Dogs who've never been required to "obey" a command but are perfectly "cool" and "compliant" require the same attention to basics (right, Cynthia?). A mellow dog that can't follow a command is NOT trained. Period. Never forget that. And they all transgress; when you most regret it, lol. (Like kids?).

Anyone who hates kids and dogs can't be all bad... (WC Fields).

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Charlotte is not trained any longer. She was fine after 2-3 sessions of puppy school, but even with more time spent on commands now, she will never respond within three seconds. Slooooooooooow as molasses unless there's a squirrel or chipmunk around! Yes, a herding animal with independent attitude. "Yes Mom, I'm coming as soon as I feel so inclined...." That's fine with us on our property, but certainly NOT on a city property! It did get her into trouble once when she investigated a skunk too closely.

She was a puppy for way longer than I expected. (She's my first dog...) I'd say at least 3 years!

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh - that'll teach me to try to stealth-skim on a boring afternoon at work - I'm now about to explode with laughter at the sight of the lime green panties! Our UPS guy would love them!

-Wendy (trying to hide under the desk to stifle my laughter in peace...)

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Hi, all!
    Bug, I love the picture of the dog standing guard over Reed..so sweet! Ah, yes, I do remember the nights of broken sleep when the kids were babies...sitting in the rocking chair feeding them, practically cross-eyed from exhaustion.
    I like YOUR new vehicle the best. That's exactly like the ones they have at my favorite nursery, and I really like the way they steer.
    Oh, wow, and I thought I had it bad having my MIL on the same road as me. I can't imagine an ex in the same block.

Chelone, lol @ the cleavage. My best friend works with all men, and snapped with her cell phone, then tried to get people to play "Name That Crack".

Marian, I hope the meds help, and you get feeling better.

Martie, if I don't "talk" to ya before, have a GREAT day Monday! Oh, wow-adding on to the house, AND creating space for plants...cool!

Sue, I'm sorry to hear about your neck. That can be absolute misery :( Hope you get some relief in one form or another. My chiro is a really good sport about coming in after hours to do an adjustment, but I have to be pretty miserable to do it to him.

Eden, that is a nice little greenhouse. I've been telling Jim for years I'd like a small one to play around in but so far, no cigar. Hey, now that we moved the bedroom upstairs and the old living room is a dining room....I have a west window to put plants in front of. I hadn't done much reading on how to overwinter agaves, but it sounds like maybe even I could do it!

Cynthia, beautiful pictures!! Great bench and table in the next to last one. That urn is SO cool! I'm in awe of all you "container folk"! Somehow, I just know I wouldn't keep so many containers looking so beautiful. Thanks for sharing them!

HI, BABS! Welcome home!

ROFL! Wow, Mary you weren't kidding when you said big ol lime green undies, were you?? They look just like my "work bloomers", lol! Are they Hanes Her Way??

Woody, nice job capturing that sequence :) Nice loveseat-I really like the shape. Chelone hit the nail on the head with the puppy thing. Sarah is two years old now, and is just starting to act like she's got some sense, lol! Puppy training is exhausting, and reminds me VERY much of raising my son, lol! Once with an explaination of why worked for DD, but DS took a while for things to sink in, lol!

Fairly uneventful day around here, and I can't believe it's so late in the day. I SWEAR, I was ready to head upstairs to exercise before 8:00. Jim wanted to have a cup of coffee on the porch with me, the phone started ringing, one of my DBs popped in.....and here we are, 4:00. At one point, I was on one phone, and there were two others ringing. Something tells me we have WAY too many phones in the house, and DH needs to learn to keep his cell with him.
    My friend (of Name That Crack Fame) Diane and I are planning our summer "Princess Weekend" getway for next month. We had hotel reservations made and everything, then one of HER DBs threw a monkey wrench in the works. She works with her family, and he's had reservations at a campground for a year-of course, the same weekend we were going away. They can't both be away at the same time, so we caved and changed our plans. Only fair, he's had his reservations longer. Had to make phone calls to re-arrange all that. One of my other brothers always has us over for brunch when we go up there. I think we've got stuff all set for a week later. Until further notice, anyway, lol!

The exercise room faces west and has no shades on the windows. Should count as two workouts if I go do it now, right? It's really sticky here. We haven't gotten any more rain, but we have prime conditions for a good old-fashioned thunderstorm to brew. Here's hoping!
    Brenda
    PS. Marian, I'm glad you're feeling better. Tough choice between feeling better and dealing with side effects of medicine. Jim's shop looks like a bunch of stuff that was invited to leave the dump, too ;)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Mary, got any more lime green undies for this little fellow?

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

HI Brenda!Thanks ('Bug too)for the welcome back ; )
    Brenda Your MIL is on the same street? I am so sorry lol. Though mine doesn't live on my street she has a bunch of friends that will drive by(I'm on main road)and tell MIL what I'm up to since I have a garden in the front yard as well as back(sheesh living on a corner is rough!). It's kinda like 'Big Brother's watching'-I try to remain amused...hmm maybe large lime green underwear over my clothing would help! I wonder how quickly that news would travel.

HI'Bug!
    I know I missed how the lime green undie thing developed but I'll bet it's pretty funny...; )

Having a fun day puttering in the garden...
    ~B

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Pictures from this afternoon of Bella watering...

{{gwi:166500}}

{{gwi:166501}}

{{gwi:166502}}

• galium
    16 years ago

Hello everyone,

eden-I've had my eye on that greenhouse from Charley's for a few years. I have ordered from them in the past but not for a greenhouse. They are terrific people if you haven't ordered from them before.

Marian-I feel for you...Glad you are getting some relief from your meds.

Sue-My cervical spine is degenerating. Very painful stuff. I seem to get some relief from moist heat. Hope your neck is better soon.

Cynthia-Love your photos.

My DH just picked peppers from my garden. He is making homemake spaghetti sauce for dinner. He bought me some sweet Italian sausage to go with it.

gardenbug-I just purchased Echinacea 'Vintage Wine' 2 weeks ago from Well-Sweep Herb Farm. They are having a 20% off sale and free lunch on the 28th of Aug. My DH and I went last year and plan on going again this year.

This photo was in the link I posted-just wanted to share it. Not because of the Shade garden but the 2 chairs and the swinging love seat. Believe it or not I brought those home from our township's household recycling center. When we pulled up to unload someone had just dropped this set off. No rust perfect condition probably very expensive. My DH cringed when I jumped out of the car to go look at the set. When I told him I wanted them he tried to talk me out of it. No way...... We sit in them every day. The chairs actually rock back and forth too. What a good day that was.
    {{gwi:166503}}

Mariann

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Chelone can make you some cushions for those! Great find Mariann. I love black iron or ironesque faux-iron, whatever outside. It's much easier to maintain than wooden things. I zip around in spring with the spray paint for anything metal.

Ok, Babszilla, the green underpants story! Mary, like you (I think?) is off for the summer so is much busier than we working stiffs. Dressing monkeys and all, there is just NO time for bathing suits, and she dove into the pool in nothing but those very green underpants (and a smile) one morning. The FEDex guy showed up! Fortunately no signature required :)

Eden, is that Bella's garden or yours :) It looks perfect for her. I love all you grammies bringing up little gardeners. She does need a watering can to match every outfit though.

GB, is that a hybrid car? Looks very gas efficient no matter what it is. Tool shed came out great and your garden photos are gorgeous as always! I need to find where you posted a couple of blue clems and write down their names. They looked amazing. Charlotte is a senior, so she doesn't have to perfect at obedience any more. I raise doggies with NILIF (nothing in life is free) and they have to work for everything, food, treats, walks, in/out. But since Monty had his crisis I cut him some slack. I ask for a sit, but as long as his rear legs bend a little I call it success and don't make him complete it :)

Misty lovvves Cooper!

Saucy, how about buying a condo in a senior community? Should be fewer tenant issues and with all of us baby boomers aging, it would make a smart investment in your area. Buy in a place that has serious bylaws to keep the place looking nice. If you drive through and see messy porches or flowered curtains (should be lined in white), move on to another place. Not enough rules. If the rules aren't enforced, condo communities can trash up pretty quickly.

Long week here (post vacation chaos) so I'm behind in the idylls but housework and yard work willing, I'll catch up this week-end. I am sooooooo happy it's the week-end! Oven is heating up so that I can have hot poppers and I already made the pina colada :) Just had a thunderstorm that was all thunder and no storm (rain).

Hi to everyone!!!! And special hi to Dianthus - horrible I know, but have to ask if you're the blond sister in law or the brunette?

Cynthia

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

PS: Chelone, yes the urn is a vintage piece. 2004 I think. Inherited from Home Goods. I must had have a special bonus I needed to burn that month or no sick dogs, it was ridiculously priced but I love it.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

It's getting hot and humid here today after a long string of perfect days and cool nights. Figures, just in time for the shed demo, lol. Good news, my dad called a little while ago and my mom gets to go home this evening. My dad's been great through her illness. He's researched every option possible and really keeps on top of things with the Drs. He's trying to talk my mom into going to Mayo. She's hesitant because she doesn't want to lose more time while a new hospital researches her case. It's so tough to decide what the next move should be. Dad spent the day cleaning and getting ready for her to come home. My mom likes a clean house:) This from a 76 yr. old man who never cleaned or cooked until the last year. I'm so proud of the way he's caring for her.

Welcome home Babs! Sounds like a great family vacation. I used to love those vacations when the kids were small! Would you believe my Clerodendrum ugandense still hasn't had one bloom, nor have the cuttings I took from it. I'm thinking it's a dud and I should start over with a new one.

Mariann, great score on the outdoor furniture. It was your lucky day! I often put things out on the curb that were expensive and are perfectly good but I don't use hoping someone will take them who can put them to use. Better that than just sitting around here taking up space and causing clutter I say.

LOL Mary, tell the monkey they kinda DO make his butt look big!

Marie, great score at the nursery! You know we gotta have a pot ghetto (for security). Love the little monkey! The ex in the same neighborhood sounds like she'll be nothing but trouble. Hope that doesn't come to pass!

Brenda, We lived 2 houses from my dad's parents when I was little. It was great for us kids, like we had two homes.

I wouldn't call Bud trained either. He knows what he's supposed to do but often takes his sweet time about it. He's old though so he doesn't get into much trouble.

Chelone, I'd never even heard of browallia before and probably would have passed right by it. It didn't have any blooms at the nursery. But I remembered that you'd said how much you like it so I gave it a try and it's doing great. It will definitely stay on my list of annuals.

Woody, those pups must tire each other out and sleep well at night!

Dinner calls.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Cynthia, that's the front garden. I try to keep things fence level or below there and exercise some restraint, lol. It is where Bella does most of her gardening.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Bella is soooo cute in her green garden shoes! Very serious going about her work too.

Cynthia, DH's car is a Honda 'Fit'...good mileage, not a hybrid. DH is leary of hybrids so far.

The orangutan is named Elmo. He's 4 days old and lives in
    an animal hospital at Taman Safari in Bogor, West Java.

I am VERY fed up with the weather guys. They are simply predicting what people want to hear (rain!) and not what is actually in the cards.... Hahahahaha! It just started to rain a bit! I hope it lasts!

Mariann, we have a 2-seater glider (vintage, Cynthia! must be at least 50 years old...)that gets tons of use. We really love it so I'm sure yours will get loads of use too!

OK, time to accomplish something before declaring it the weekend.

Take care Sue!
    'bug

• saucydog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Crocs are so much better than Jellies....lucky Bella :) Sarah has an aqua blue pair. Mary almost has me convinced after I saw her in her crocs during IU4.

Tough day here. A woman shouldn't have a cold (thanks Sarah!), start her period (sorry male lurkers), and have husband troubles all in one day. I'm really blue.

SO....I decided to pick through pix and post here....luck you! LOL!

Welcome home Blabs :) I missed you at IU4. I used to live on the street where everyone would drive by and call my dad to tell him what I was doing. I would get so irritated :) I was a teen, what can I say?

Cynthia and GB, I absolutely love peeking into your gardens....they are so mysterious....I want to roam around because I know there is so much more!

Cynthia, you do have a way with staging your patio that is very pleasing. Could you pass my Margarita?

Sue, what's with the bad run on health....Dr. Feelgood is funding his kids college tuition with you :)

GB, I want your garden cart! Way better than the car :) I think he lost....you get way better gas mileage!

Eden that greenhouse is cool. There are all kinds of extras to buy to make it usuable for most of the year. Where will you hang your tools? I'm in need of my own garden tool space as I get a "corner" in "man town".

Mary, you're too much....those are quite the bloomers!

Cindy, thanks for thinking of me, but I'm coming OUT of a long depression....not heading in :) I've been dumped a large load of schist to deal with and I'm doing the best I can.

Woody, nothing I love better than dog antics - the first picture of the Mexican standoff is my fav.

Brenda, Name that Crack is right up my alley. I worked with all guys, too. Once you get accepted it's pretty cool. They used to call me "String Bean"....of course I was a lot thinner :) They used to watch my soap with me at lunch time, too :) Bunch of girly men :)

I'm outta here. I know I missed a bunch. Thoughts are with Honey and others dealing with big issues. I get wrapped up pretty tight in my own stuff sometimes.

I have pictures to post if my cold will allow!

Saucy

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Well, ladies, I'm jumping in with both feet. I'm off work for August and ready to idyll away some time. I've been skimming and have a reasonable handle on who's who. The pix have been incredible. Whodathunk there'd be that incredible agave garden at Chanticleer? My ears perked up re the sale at Yucca Du. Not a mad rush for Mr. Ripple!! I saw him locally a few weeks ago, and it was a botanical weak-in-the-knees moment. Found him today at a nursery, not a great specimen, and at $50 too rich for my blood. But I came home with this Aloe spinosissima, fairly cheap in a gallon:

{{gwi:166504}}

I'll check in later. Do you guys need mini bios of new idyllers or is it okay to just jump in?
    Ein, our corker of a Corgi, waves hello to all yours beasts.

{{gwi:166506}}

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Hi Ein, Copper, Misty, Charlotte, Danni, Monty, Katy, and all other Idyll Beasties too!

{{gwi:166508}}

Welcome to all New Beastie Idyller Moms and Dads...

--Chloe

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good evening everyone

What fabulous pet pics we have today -perhaps we should rename Friday as Idyll pet day. How about it Chloe?

Denise - jump right in!!

Eden - great to hear your Mom will have an evening at home. Your Dad sounds a gem. Bella is cute as can be with her watering can.

Mariann - we too have a very nice pair of aluminium rocking chairs I found on the side of the road. Like yours they were in perfect condition and again probably very expensive. We love them - my favorite kind of recycling.

I had a lot of fun this evening playing with the link below. I came up with a self portrait - I wonder if anyone would recognise me?

Mary

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Worthy of framing, Mary ! Or giving to the Fedex guy...

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Mariann, we have a word for your means of obtaining that lovely metal set, "kumshaw." My DH's invention, I think. Looks vulgar but generally means seeing a good thing and chucking it in the back of the car. A good thing sans owner, that is. We are the Kumshaw Kings. Perhaps somewhat reformed since we've been purging. Our neighbor across the street has a ton of our stuff. DH did bring home from work a heavily verdigris'd bulkhead light last night. Must be 100 years old. He works at the harbor so finds all manner of neat stuff. He certainly knows what gladdens my heart.

Saucy, "load of schist." Love it. I'm thinking can I use the German? How do I spell the German anyway? First Google hit brings up "sheizen hoosen." Then I remember, yes, vacuum day! My 50-year-old brain leaps constantly. No wonder I sleep so well. Sorry for that triple whammy, with the cold, OTR and ...

Possibly high 80s here. A productive Saturday to all -- or just head straight to the Mojitos/Margaritas...

Lest you all think I only grow severe succulents, I found this in my neglected front garden yesterday, Lespedeza 'Gibraltar' just starting to bloom and Crocosmia 'Solfatarre,' so almost in bloom together. Maybe next year. The trick was to neglect the area entirely, after ripping out most everything with the intent to "redo" it at some undesignated time. It actually allowed some breathing room. That's a Sambucus 'Madonna' leaning in on the right. Sorry to hear about so many Sambucus woes. I wonder if it's a different type than I grow.

{{gwi:166510}}

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Thanks for the undie tale,Cynthia. Mary that story is even better than I imagined!~have you seen the UPS guy since then?? I think a framed Picasso portrait of you would be a lovely remembrance of that incident for him: ) Shouldn't there be some acorns in that too? Picasso would never leave out the acorns lol.

Eden-Ironically,my Clero. hasn't bloomed yet either-the cuttings either. It's very full and lush and I check daily to see if any budding up is beginning. I think as I recall from last year that they bloom most profusely in late summer?? I am going to put it in full sun to see what happens-full sun means it needs more water,it's a very thirsty plant. I also stopped fertilizing it in hopes that that should get some flowers going.
    I LOVE seeing Bella tending teh plants!!! I remember wearing a little jumper outfit like hers when I was most likely her age-love the bloomer bottoms on them. She's as sweet as ever.
    Is your mom doing well?

I wouldn't call Chris trained either. He knows what he's supposed to do but often takes his sweet time about it. He's old though so he doesn't get into much trouble. Oh wait-we're talking about dogs? oops...nevermind lol

Thanks Saucy for missing me at IU3--all week I had been thinking back to when I met you and the idylls in person for the first time and how fun that was...
    Sorry about your summer cold-those are the pits!

Welcome Denise! I'm jealous of your crocosmia! I planted one last year and it never returned this year plus some rodent dug up the bulbets...

I'm trying not to look at any agaves otherwise I will get sucked in...just like with the fuchsias and the coleus(that eveyone hates).

I made a cool discovery-I think I have a Cotinus seedling growing in the garden!! Probably a volunteer from a nursery pot...I hope rabbits don't eat them.

So Chelone what was your impression of the idyll group you met? In your opinion did everyone have the same personalities in person as they do online? Isn't it pretty amazing to finally meet these people we've been telling our life stories to?

Welp it's time to go~MIL duty(I hate Saturdays). I'd rather be in the garden...we all would.

~babs

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Mr. Picasso head is fun! Oh yeah the MIL...
    ~B

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Would you believe I just got a thank you note from Yucca Do? Just joking, but I wonder if anyone there is scratching their head over the sudden bump in agave sales.

Cynthia, Dianthus is the brunette SIL. We're still trying to get the blonde one to jump in. I'll have to suggest the name Echinacea to her.

I hope Sue's neck is feeling better, but I sure can understand what a strain she put on it at Chanticleer.

Mary, the lime green undies are too funny!

At the very first private garden, I saw a brick walkway that I really liked. The next day, DH called and asked if I wanted some old bricks from his mom's garage. OF COURSE! So today we brought the bricks home, which is a tougher job than it sounds. Now I need to figure out the logistics to see if I have enough to recreate this:

{{gwi:151124}}

We also picked up our 1/2 steer from the butcher today. Why does my back hurt?

V.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Can't wait to see your creative energies at work V! Mine are dampened by heat & humidity...with no end in sight for at least a week.

Here's the extent of my creative juices today...Picasso style Reed. He is now 8lb 14oz at 6 weeks, healthy and fine and amazing. His step brother weighed more at birth, but ran into serious medical problems by 9 weeks of age. The birth weight is one of the things that helped him survive.

Friday I placed my bulb order for September delivery. More camassia, tulips and anemone blanda on their way!

Charlotte and DH are asleep downstairs. Second round of laundry is going. Feels like a Sunday....

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Sensory overload with all the great pics being posted Im having my Saturday lunch break and viewing them all yet again ! What great morning we had here, marine layer overcast till about 10 , so the heat should not be too bad at all today. I really really need to do some house chores for a change. Sigh.

Hi Denise, and welcome .So is Ein pronounced as in Eeny-weenie ??

Cynthia, loved your garden photos everything looks just so lush and beautiful, and artfully composed as well. Your Agave collection is making me a tad jealous ..lol re: the vintage urn. I keep hearing references to Homegoods and I guess its a good thing we dont have them out here !

Mary, your self portrait courtesy of Mr Picasso head is a true masterpiece. Think you need to print it, take it to Kinkos and get it blown up to about 24x36, get a nice frame and hang it over the fireplace.(that is if you have a fireplace) .

Nice to see you back in the fold Babs.. Your cabin getaway sounds just the ticket. Looking forward to the pics ..

Eden lil Miss Bella looks quite diligent in her watering chores, though it does appear that she is watering a rock in the first photo Im sure her skills will continue to improve with the proper training from her garden mentor ! Glad to hear that your Mom gets to go home.

Wow Mariann, what a find you made on your re-cycle trip !

Saucy, crocs are the perfect summer gardening shoe. I hate hot feet, but its kinda hard to garden in flip-flops . I find these the perfect alternative. Muck shoes for the early morning, crocs for the afternoon, flip-flops for cocktail hour. Like you and Brenda , I work with lots of men as well. They have declared me an Honorary Dude because I love baseball, dont care if everyone forgets my birthday, and I drink beer.

Okay, I really need to go upstairs and put some laundry away..

A big hello to everyone, and Ill leave you with a few pics I took this morning..

I'm really enjoying the Dahlias this year. This one is called 'Myrtles Folly'

{{gwi:166513}}

Kid Stuff

{{gwi:166515}}

Chilsons Pride-my fave pink..this shot is at eye level, the bush is as tall as I am.

{{gwi:166518}}

Moonstruck and Moon River

{{gwi:166521}}

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good Afternoon

Kathy - what gorgeous Dahlias!

Babs - love your redhead portrait.

GB - Baby Reed is very sweet!

V - Keep working on Echinacea!!

It's raining here so I was playing some more.

Mary

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Wow Mary, making that violin took real talent! (Not to mention the acorns...)

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

This was fun!

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Checking in to do some more catch-up. V, that walkway is gorgeous. I blew out the suspension of a Honda Civic bringing bricks home. Bug, your new wagon looks like it'd be up to the job.

Babs, jealous over crocosmia? Bug's clematis inflict pain on me. I've killed that purpurea plena elegans countless times. There's a piece in the new Horticulture on how indestructible Betty Corning is. Just when giving up hope was becoming a comfort. BC supposedly has viticella in her, and the vit's are a much better bet here.

Eden, best wishes for your mom's recovery. And I've been getting up to speed on the tree disaster. Lord, what a mess. We've had eucalyptus crash occasionally, like immediately after building a pergola, of course. And there's this strange branch-shedding syndrome that happens on hot, absolutely still days. A huge branch will just shear off a tree, almost like calving icebergs. The coral trees, erythrina, are famous for this, and they've smashed so many expensive cars in Beverly Hills that they've been banned as street trees. Something about the xyloem and phloem not up to the evaporation rate -- botany was such a long time ago, grows dimmer and dimmer...

Mary, your Picasso heads are very timely, as that will be my viewing tonight, an old BBC art show from Netflix. I caught the Roman sculptor Bernini the other night and tonight is reserved for Picasso. Didn't hurt that the actor used to play Bernini in some recreated scenes strongly resembled Orlando Bloom, storming through Rome, angst-ridden.

Kathy, what can I say? Your dahlias are sublime. I'm growing two kinds this year, Bednall Beauty and Bishop of Canterbury, neither of which are doing much at the moment.

Cynthia, your garden looks so verdant and cool! It looks like a garden in the Pacific Northwest, not the hot and muggy East Coast. You make it look so easy.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

The shed is down and the garden is looking very...open. More open than I like. Do you suppose I'll get used to it? Future SonIL brought over the old claw foot tub they tore out during the bathroom remodel. I'm thinking of using it as a container for a bog garden.

My mom's happy to be home. They went to the Farmer's market this morning for corn, tomatoes, cukes and she and my dad made dinner together. A couple of her friends stopped by to visit, she took a nap. It truly is the simple things!

I'm enjoying all of your creative portraits. I don't have enough energy to contribute tonight.

Denise, great to have you posting to Idylls! Welcome!!!

Kathy, your dahlias are to die for!

Babs, Thanks for the info on your clero. I guess I'll give mine more time. The Clerodendrum Thomsoniae Variegata I bought last winter is blooming now.

V, I love that path. Hope you have enough bricks to pull it off.

Hope Sue's neck is better.

Also thinking of Honey!

It's almost Bella's bed time. She'll be here tomorrow in the evening and wants Brad and I to take her to see the cows at the dairy. She says "I LOVE cows!" Brad and I like the ice cream they make and sell there.

Have a good night. I'm ready for a BIG glass of wine!

Eden

• saucydog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Quick post:

Eden, I'm so jealous of the bathtub. My idea has always been to set one up with a recirc pump and have one of the big wide shower heads with a drizzle of water coming back down in a full tub that would have a pretty water lily in it!

That's all....enjoying picasso portraits....will make one, too :)

Saucy

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Yes (!) on the clawfoot tub bog garden Eden. I just picked all of my tomatoes and then ripped them all down. Early blight every year. I have them in big trough like pots and think I'll turn them into non-tuffa succulent gardens.

Gorgeous Dahlias Kathy. Hello to Ein and Chloe. There was a corgi named Raven at the MRI facility when I took Katie. After talking with Raven's mom for nearly 4 hours, I cried too when she came out sobbing and clutching her dog. Sigh.

The aloe spinosissima is gorgeous. They do NOT carry it at Yucca Do.

The picasso site was too much fun Mary, Lady in Green was terrific but Lady with Violin was amazing! I see Bug & Kathy & Babs dabble too. Ok, so here's what I came up with :) I can see wasting too much time there but I'm sure it's good for my aging neurons.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Man am I impressed with Rainy Day at C. Once you try this with such limited tools, you'll be amazed too! Hand over any extra neurons folks! (Will they allow them across the border?)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

From Charlotte...

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Mary gets a smiley face, two thumbs up and a Brownie Button for posting the Picasso link ! Just loved Cynthia and 'bugs entry !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    16 years ago

And a fine good morning to my virtual friends. Well... not virtual any more. Babs., I found the personas very much in keeping with the "pen pal" ones. But, after all the years we've been chitty-chatting with each other it would be pretty difficult to misrepresent ourselves, and actually "get away with it" for too long!

I'm enjoying the exhibition very much, and oohing and ahhing over the photographs with as much glee as I did in person. I just love the way the shots posted have focused on things that, in some cases, I passed right over. I appreciate each and every set of eyes and aesthetic. Such fun!

"La Cage Aux Folles" was great. The costumes were fun, and the story... well... let's face it, there is no such thing as a successful movie or play without a great story. We decided the quality of the story is that it sharpens the focus the on the little hurts we inflict on those we love even as we try to make a tough situation easier for someone we love. In short, it's about FAMILY VALUES, love, repect, and appreciation for what makes each of us unique. :)

The lawn remains unmown. Too hot on Friday. Quite muggy yesterday and I decided to wait for it to dry out a bit before attempting it. I decided to visit a nursery instead (a new one, that Wendy might enjoy!), knowing the forecast was for thundershowers in the "afternoon". After noon, all right, about 15 minutes past high noon! I had just gotten to the nursery when it started to rain. I opened my "brollie" and continued to stroll watching other shoppers flee. It came down in sheets and torrents. I nabbed 2 Astilboides tabularis (gonna try 'em again) and started the drive home. Heavy traffic on 95, sheets of rain and an average speed of about 30 MPH. I don't know how much rain we received, but the level in the pond increased significantly. I arrived back on the compound as the thunder rolled over us. Rex was pleased to have Mummy home; I greeted him warmly, matterofactly, and we retired to the living room where I did some reading while he "guarded" me. The kitties were pretty excited to get indoors, too, though elderly Flo was perfectly content under the canopy on her couch. No much rattles her at 16-17 yrs. old.

LOL about the Corgi pose; Rex assumes something similar on a routine basis. And looks like I'm the "hardass" about obedience training; but I kinda have to be. A large dog, largely untrained until he came to us, and a frail, elderly mother rather dictated a zero tolerance approach. I've become particularly interested in canine personalities with respect to breed characteristics. Working dogs are bred to "think for themselves" and if you don't establish your leadership role when they're young, you have to work doubly hard to assert it later on. Like Cynthia, I expect compliance when the command is given. I HAVE TO. I'm also aware that "off leash" the radius of voice control is limited with Rex. So, we continue to train and carefully permit off leash time. The recovery from knee surgery will provide a heretofore overlooked benefit. I hate dogs.

I am the orginal kerbside shopper. I pulled two chairs off the side of the road a couple of years ago, painted them and made cushions for the them. Lo and behold! a few weeks ago I saw 2 more and a loveseat at a local antiques place... $650!!! Like you, Eden, I also put things out by the road that I no longer use but might be useful for someone else. My favorite story was the gal who ogled 4+ doors we'd set out. They were nice, heavy solid wood doors in an old-fashioned panel configuration. She knocked on the door and timidly asked if they were to be hauled away. I helped her schlep them out of the way so she and her husband could collect them later on. Later, she came back with a picture of them stripped, refinished and in situ. They were the perfect match for the others in their home! How great is that?

Bella is so cute. I remember those sunsuit rigs, too. Only mine consisted of something akin to a tunic with bloomers below; two pcs. not one. I remember Mum making them for me. My brother used to put frogs and snakes down my "drawers" regularly. No wonder I'm not afraid of them now. :)

Roofers arrive tomorrow morning and then the framers return to install the windows. I go to get the (non grained) garage doors ordered tomorrow. I know you've been calling for pictures but I haven't felt like it. I haven't even put the IUIV shots on the computer yet. Sorry... it'll be a treat for "later on".

• chelone
    16 years ago

I heard the sound of an approaching motorcycle and then heard it come to a stop in front of our home. Rex began barking furiously and I went out to investigate. Flat tire. They were calling local friends for rescue when I approached them.

I told them to roll their bike into the yard, I introduced Rex, and offered them a ride home (local). They seemed surprised, but I guess generosity and kindness is in rather short supply these days (not where I grew up and NOT the way I was raised)?

I peeled them two Clementines and set up the Adirondaks for their comfort, reminding them that a bathroom was readily available, too, if they wanted to use one.

Kindness is the rare coin that returns the spendthrift twofold but leaves the miser penniless. I read that first in a CW Andersen book about horses, now out of print but a JEWEL ("A Touch of Greatness", and the first word was "courage"... but it works fine the way I've written it, too. Words to live by! :)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio