Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

IUVI - Day 2

deanneart
14 years ago

I've finally gotten some of these billions of pictures sorted through, well not really billions but it seems that way, and I've put together a gallery of pics from the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. A jewel of a garden and one definitely worth the trip up to Booth Bay to see. Here are a few highlights.

{{gwi:166531}}

{{gwi:166532}}

{{gwi:166533}}

{{gwi:166534}}

{{gwi:166535}}

{{gwi:166536}}

{{gwi:166537}}

{{gwi:166538}}

{{gwi:166539}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens

Comments (18)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Deanne, it is wonderful to review the events through your eyes! I would have brought that porcupine home in an instant if it had been possible! The mobile sculpture (seventh photo) moved so beautifully... So much to take in! You and Doug must return several times and report back on the gardens and their progress over time! Thank-you!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

I love those sculptures! It looks like it's well on its way to being an oustanding BG. I wish I could have seen it in person :-( I do think though that the path in the second picture would have looked much better as a single smooth curve rather than the wiggly-waggly multiple curves. I think paths - and garden beds - shaped like that is going to be what 'dates' a garden to the 'turn of the century' in later years of this century :-) Now I'll check out the rest of the pictures on the link while waiting for a batch of dog cookies to finish cooking....

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

I really liked the fox sculpture - I'll bet the artist that built those things now has a lot of business!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Les and Moniques van wanted to stop at this pottery place on the road to Booth Bay
    {{gwi:166540}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

This was a fabulous garden in spite of it's youth; beds were laid out so that they continued to unfold and display different views no matter where you stood on the paths.
    And the combos !! {{gwi:166541}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
    {{gwi:166542}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
    {{gwi:166543}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

This combo included a couple of garden elfs.. {{gwi:166544}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Idylls SALAT in the distance {{gwi:166545}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Lunch at the Lobster Dock -including 2pm beer .. {{gwi:166546}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Great pics! I like the flowers, the rocks, the sculptures, and the people. :-)
    I espacially like the rock formation that looks like a water slide, in the seventh pic.
    I like the sculptures that are silhouetted against the sky, and the large boulders surrounded by flowers and plants.
    The boats in the water are nice too.

• wendy2
    14 years ago

Thank you Deanne & Kathy, some great shots there. I loved that garden, definitely worth a trip back there sometime. I want to go back to the Lobster Dock too - I can taste those crab cakes!

• deanneart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm with you on that re-visit to the Maine Botanical Gardens Wendy. What a gorgeous garden. So much to see and so many great combinations and vistas.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Kathy, yes, wonderful combos...and a terrific eye to see and capture them.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    14 years ago

I think we need to plan another trip to the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden that includes an overnight in a B&B in Boothbay Harbor.

Sue

• deanneart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds like a plan Sue. I'm there.
    Deanne

• wendy2
    14 years ago

This area of the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden would definitely be worth a trip in the spring; it features rhododendrons. Les and Monique said it would be worth the walk, and it was. This is the view that greeted us when we emerged from the wooded trail

{{gwi:166547}}

A side view of the waterfall as you move closer

{{gwi:166548}}

A view of the rhododendron hillside with your back to the waterfall

{{gwi:166549}}

The question remains: when does the Lobster Dock open for the season?

• deanneart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for posting these pics of the waterfall Wendy. I missed that when I was there. It's gorgeous and I will definitely get to this spot the next time I go. No clue as to when the Lobster Dock opens for the season. I'll have to look into that.

Deanne

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Here's my contribution to Day 2:

The Five Senses Garden:

{{gwi:166550}}

Catherine and I are stepping out (it was a reflexology massage for the feet - you were instructed to remove your shoes and follow the path):

{{gwi:166551}}

{{gwi:166552}}

{{gwi:166553}}

{{gwi:166554}}

{{gwi:166555}}

{{gwi:166557}}

{{gwi:166559}}

{{gwi:166561}}

{{gwi:166562}}

{{gwi:166563}}

I had lots of Idylls in the Garden shots :)

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

Deanne...you're a great photographer! I love that living wall...have you seen those in the Garden Supply catalog? I would really love to give that a try...there's even an indoor version.

The botanical garden is quite a gem...the waterfall is breathtaking and would have loved to join you all on that walk.

Thanks for sharing your lovely pics Wendy...and Saucy too!

Love that "rose" path too...wouldn't it be fun to create something like that? I think I'd make one like a Mackintosh? rose.

But I think the best pictures of all are the ones featuring all the smiling Idyll faces...how good to see you all!

Ei

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Nice shots Saucy and Wendy-- I see Wendy that you managed to get photos excluding ll those tourists who insisted on being in the way.

Saucy I like the group shot and the pic of Mary and Marie...

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great shots Saucy!!!! I so love it that you 'see' totally different things than I do to take pictures of. You have a great eye and do a super job.

Deanne

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I am adding my thanks to Saucy and Wendy for your great pics. I am drawn to the one of Marie and Mary also. The weird trees in the third to the last pic look like something from a science fiction movie. :-)
    And I like the way they are silhouetted against the sky.
    I like the pic of V's daughter walking barefoot on the rock paths. ( By the way, V, she is lovely.)

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

These are awesome Girls. If I ever get to fulfill my dream of visiting Maine I will definetly be checking these gardens out. Thanks . Norma

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz