Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Laurie's Churchouse

We had an interesting day yesterday. Barb, Randy, and I went up to see Laurie's (Barb's middle daughter, who worked for me briefly last year before Randy retired...) church that she and her boyfriend bought to convert to a house. It's about 90 minutes north - in 'cottage country' so it was a long, slow, hot drive on a summer Saturday with everyone heading to the cottage! Interesting place - it'll be fun to watch it develop.

The exterior:

{{gwi:166605}}

The interior:

{{gwi:166606}}

Their intent at this point is that they will build a loft master bedroom at the back of the space with the kitcen and dining area under it. The rest of the space will be living room. The basement is high so the other bedrooms, a bathroom and family room space will be in the basement. There is a small kitcen there now that is their kitchen during the renovations. They've put a large bathroom and laundry room in the space in the entry at the front of the church. The original church building goes back to 1904; the front entry addition is only 30 or so years old.

Laurie's boyfriend is a carpenter and works in residential construction, so they are doing all the work themselves. He converted the frame for the church signboard into a trellis for Laurie to grow clematis on - nice guy...:-)

{{gwi:166609}}

The building is on an acre or two of land in a rural area and they have the opportunity to buy more of the adjoining land. Her boyfriend intends to eventually build a carpentry shop on part of the fairly extensive parking area beside the church.

There is a line of big, old cedars between the church and the parking area. They would be difficult to garden under but are quite ornamental, particularly the trunks:

{{gwi:166611}}

When Randy was off wandering about with the camera, he took this picture in the wheat field across the road. I really like it and will probably get it framed:

{{gwi:166612}}

Comments (7)