Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

Idyll #324 Hot Summer Nights

michelle_zone4
16 years ago

Hot summer nights here in Iowa.

Eden, I feel so bad for you and your garden. We had straight-line winds 6 years ago and my garden, which was pretty young back then, had a similar look. It was at the end of June and things actually looked pretty good later in the summer. I hope that there wont be more damage trying to get the tree out of there. Brad is so handy, were you planning a new shed or remodeling the existing one? Kenzie really enjoys farm animals of which we have lots. She really likes to play "farm" She's very interested in Grampa on the tractor, but refuses to ride in the tractor.

Mary, what a fun opportunity for Annie. The cover is just the coolest.

Cindy, I remember that Gardeners Diary too. I lost a clematis too. It was a new one last year. The others are all going strong. I actually water my garden very little. I picked up sambucus ÂBlack Lace and a couple of hydrangea ÂBlushing Bride not overly exciting, but interesting shrubs are hard to find around here. IÂm envious of EdenÂs weigela ÂMy MonetÂ

Brenda, we are having the "serious" heat. 93 yesterday and more for the weekend. Unbelievable that some areas are experiencing so much flooding.

Babs, IÂm growing Super Sweet Sugar Snaps this year and they are producing like crazy. I showed Kenzie how to eat them right out of the garden when she was here. I have about 7Â of fencing with vines on both sides. I think its so wonderful that you and Mary can have the summers off to spend with your family.

Marie, the clematis I have never get extra water beyond the first year. I think they really are quite tough. Fingers crossed for your garden. IÂm sure leaving is going to be tough ((Marie))

Chelone, thinking of Rex and you today. I would love to see pictures of the tall ships. DonÂt see many of those in Iowa ;o)

Wendy, have a great vacation  the beach right? Right up my alley.

IÂve been asked to be on a mini garden tour in 3 weeks. Approximately 50 people, but IÂve never had that many people here at one time. It should be interesting. Fortunately IÂve got things somewhat in order.

Michelle

Comments (101)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oy! The heat & humidity!!!! The laundry! I'm overwhelmed.

Thinking of Eden & the tree guys :(
    Rex ;)
    Spinning girl and Cynthia...
    Hi Brenda and Ei! Good to catch up with you!

I watched the clip of Belle & Sebastien. :) Hope your music is coming along Mary!

Glad that Doug was delighted by his party. There was a surprise birthday party for Sarah 2 days following Reed's birth. She of course was dressed in PJs! It was very sweet with cousins and close friends all wanting to hold the baby. Good food too as is always the case with DSIL around. Must have gained at least 10 pounds. UGH.
    Here's a shot of cousin Cody who amazed me with his absorption with the baby. I guess there IS such a thing as a super teenager!
    {{gwi:166879}}
    And of course ladies young and old all gaga over him:
    {{gwi:166881}}

Back to laundry and maybe some lunch.
    pant pant pant pant pant
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

They finished and it's not too bad. Smashed perennials from their walking around but they didn't drop anything in the garden. They originally just wanted to cut the tree on each side of the power lines and let it fall but I convinced them to start at the end and work their way back to the line. The guy actually became attached to the birds in the nest by the time they were finished and told me all about how the mom kept flying in and out feeding them. So all is well! Now I just need to get the rest of the tree taken off the shed roof.

Eden

• chelone
    16 years ago

Good to learn that things are looking up for Eden! I can only imagine your nervousness about the "tromping". But I love the part about the guy keeping an eye on Mama bird and the babies.

The framers took off for a couple of hours; it's overcast and rather humid here, and when the rain picked up and was steady for a bit they left. And now they're back. It must be difficult to know when to call it quits or when to just "sit it out". The "I" joists arrived this morning. They're 28' long, will span the entire width of the building, running over the carrying stick. I spoke with the frame this morning while he was waiting for the guys to come back, he gave me a good lesson in the basics of framing. Nice guy.

Deanne, I have to tell you I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to pictures of Doug's paHty, and the food. :) I'd've been a pit peeved at broken plants, too. Only because they didn't TELL you... just pretended it didn't happen. :/

Rex is back from the post op. visit and his bandage is off. Now I get to see the incision site and the STAPLES. Not too bad... . The word is that it's OK if it oozes pink or red. White or yellow is bad and we should call and clean it up appropriately. It's find for Rex to lick it, but chewing at it isn't OK. Rex is like a tiger, his skin is striped, too. And he's a lot happier now that the foolish bandage is gone.

Spencer (my doodlekin boy-boy) has learned how to open the screen door on the slider. Two mornings running we noticed it was open about 4-5"... we KNEW we'd closed it the night before and all the cats were inside (it leads out to the deck and the screens kept the bugs out). Sure enough, yesterday morning we waited and listened. And peeked around the corner to watch Spencer deftly hook the mohair strip and pull it open. He's the one who broke the door on the cat carrier, little rascal!

I found a baby Star Nosed Mole yesterday. It was about 3" long with the softest black fur and the characteristic nose. I was fascinated by its feet. Shoulda taken a picture of it before hurling it into the ferns for posterity, huh?

I've so enjoyed the many photographs in the past few days; talk about variety. Plant material, babies, boats, beasts... really runs the gamot, huh?

I have to go to the post office and do a few errands. See you later.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Deanne re the lily stem distortion I think youve got a "fasciated lily". Google that phrase or see this link:

http://www.wrls.org/culture/fasciation.html

its temporary and will revert the following season (usually) I had it last year & can attest that the same lily bulb is blooming normally & has the usual thickness of stem this year. . . . . interesting deviation they sure look weird dont they?

Re the hydrangea behind the lilies (Samur, I think) )at least INSIDE my fence most of my lilies were safe (except from overwaterin) that is H. serrata Preziosa... Ive had it about 7 years it just gets better and better its the one that eventually turns dark red as it ages, but it starts out mostly white w/ a pinkish tint. Heres another pic of w/ the lilies & Etoile Violette still blooming thru it...

{{gwi:166885}}

heres last week:

{{gwi:166887}}

{{gwi:166889}}

O how, cool some posts from Ei!!!!!! How neat. Im so sorry to see what happened to your New Dawn; but its intrepid isnt it? I bet it will be all better by fall; if you havent sold your house you might be meant to stay there to see it bloom next Spring. I love, love your containers on the deck gorgeous foliage combos you are a definite master of that.

And a long note from Drema, Norma, Brenda great to hear from everyone.

Im so glad to hear all is well re the tree & the birds, Eden -- you probably charmed them into submission!

Well, I better eat some lunch; Ive been "devouring" posts and pics here instead... better feed the body now too, LOL.

--Cindy

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Hi all. When we got home from vacation Sat. pm, it was apparent that Bullet was failing. Everyone did their best to keep him going, but he was tired. So this am, our loyal friend and companion went to kitty heaven to once again play with his pal, Patches. And we're heartbroken.

Bullet - 12/18/92 - 7/9/07

{{gwi:166891}}

DH and I have cried buckets since. He was the sweetest animal and so very special.

Later friends,
    Honey

• chelone
    16 years ago

Awww... this is a very sad day for you, Honey. :(

I'm sorry to read your sad news, but it was time to make that awful choice. 15 years is a long life, especially when it was lived entirely in a loving home. Remind yourself of that every so often.

(((Honey)))

• just_t
    16 years ago

(((Honey & Tom)))

T.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Oh Honey, what crummy news. You have lots of fun memories to recall though. What a spoiled guy- :) Every kitty should be so lucky!

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

((((Honey)))) - I am so sorry; you had such delightful tales of him; I will be thinking and hurting for you.

Take care.

--Cindy

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Honey, I know how much you loved him. He did have the best home and life a kitty could hope for with you and Tom. I feel so badly for you both. I know you're really going to miss him.

Eden

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Honey, I am so very sorry....

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry Honey. Bullet had a long and wonderful life and brought much joy. I know you will both miss him terribly.

Mary

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

(((Honey))) Oh, Honey..I'm so sorry :(

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Oh no Honey... Such very sad news. I'm so very sorry. I know how much he was loved. Hugs to you and Tom.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Honey, so sorry to hear the news. Bullet lived a well-loved life. Hugs to you and Tom.

V.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Our hot summer nights are on a brief hiatus after the deluge we had today. DD had an appointment to get four wisdom teeth removed this afternoon, but the oral surgeon reported that there was only one. While I was in the examining room getting that happy news (I don't know that an oral surgeon's office ever saw a smile as big as DD's when she heard the good news) the sky turned black. Pretty soon, the rain came - and came and came and came. My first clue that it was getting bad was when a fire truck went down the street and left a wake. I wish I had had my camera, though, to get a shot of the two horse-drawn carriages that huddled for shelter beneath the bank drive-through. (We were in Lake Geneva, a resort town, which is why there where horse-drawn carriages about.)

The drive home, which should have been a pleasant summer drive, instead took forever through the torrential rain. But we made it home safely. Of course, at home the power had gone out, the dogs had gotten separated by a blown-closed bedroom door, and the neurotic older dog spent most of the storm out on the screened porch. Since the wind was blowing into the porch, she was sopping wet. It seems she now prefers to be "in the thick of it" rather than in the house where things beep and flash over and over as the power blinks on and off. It obviously was not a dog who decided that electronic things should be when they regain power!

All is under control now and it's about time to clean up and go to bed.

G'nite all!

V.

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

UNREAL!! A beautiful blob of rain got close enough we could SMELL it, see lightning and hear thunder....then split and went around us without a drop :( I think I'm gonna take a couple Tylenol PM and call it a day. Lol, V I guess we represent the two extremes in weather today, eh?
    g'night kids...after all tomorrow IS another day ;)
    Brenda

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear the sad news Honey. He lived a loved and pampered life, he was one lucky cat. (((Honey & Tom)))

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Just popped in and read the sad news...Bullet was a beautiful, much loved boy. I can only imagine how sad you are and how much it hurts....but I know through all your words about him that Bullet led a happy, joyful life with you & Tom. He was a lucky boy to have found you and I'm sure he knew how much he was loved too. (((Honey))) I'm *so* sorry!

Ei

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Honey, how hard it is to loose a beautiful friend like your Bullet. Best wishes to you and hopes that another feline friend comes into your life some day.

Cynthia, I hope Katie is doing better ..you are such a good pet Mom. All your talk of lily beetles sure makes me feel extra fortunate to live where I do-yet another critter we dont have out here thank goodness. My biggest beetle problem this year are the cucumber beetles-they are just loving the Dahlias -.Since I dont use chemicals I am just using the tolerate and squish when able method

Ei thanks for the Green Day moment , not to mention the beautiful photos of your garden ..how about some more of those ? Im rooting for a full recovery for New Dawn

Cindy, what a sweet romantic garden you have !

kay , hi to those unmentioned; its getting close to bedtime here.

Best to all

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Well we had a humid, overcast, low 70s day yesterday followed by some huge thunder storms. Fortunately no excessive wind or hail. Phew! It was one of those days were I ran at 90 miles an hour and at the end of the day I dont know what I got accomplished. Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

Cindy, thanks for the photographs! I just love that hydrangea! What a beauty but was bummed out when I googled it and found its a zone 6. Id love to grow something like that. I really love those dark stems. Your gardens are just lovely. Ive thought about getting that S. Black Lace a few times but have avoided it because of the dying off problem I get with the Sutherland Gold. ~~ Thanks for the information about the fasciated lilies. You are 100% correct and that is exactly what is going on with my lilies. I was really pleased to find out that they should be fine next year. I found one web site that said that the problem was partly good culture. LOL It is only the lilies that are large enough to split into two bulbs that it happens to. Did yours ever bloom when it had all those buds?

Chelone, LOL about Doodlekin being able to open the screen door. We had a cat once that did that and it drove me nuts. One morning I woke up to a cat fight under my bed. A strange neighborhood cat had availed itself of the open door and my cat took exception to the stranger in its territory.

Eden so glad to hear that "its not too bad". When do you think youll be able to get the rest of the tree off your shed?

Bug, more great pics of the new arrival and family.

Brenda, I sure wish I could take a nap in the afternoons. Ive never been able to sleep in the middle of the day or Im up all night. ~~ I sure hope you get some rain soon.

Eileen, so sorry about your New Dawn. You must have been so sad to see the winter kill this spring. ~~ I just love your containers and how clever of you to plant cabbages in an arrangement! They have such marvelous form and texture. Id have never thought of that. ~~ Those driftwood horses are absolutely amazing. Thanks for that link. I want one!

V. how lucky for DD that she only had one wisdom tooth. I had three and was missing one but would have been so happy to have only one. ~~ Bad thunderstorms here last night as well and more predicted for today.

Anyway, I used the light overcast yesterday to take photographs of the gardens. It really is the best for getting a nice sharp depth of field without over and under exposure problems. July really is the best season here.

The terrace gardens, those Endless Summer flower heads are about a foot in diameter if not bigger. That is one plant that I faithfully top-dress with our home cooked compost in spring and fall and it loves it.
    {{gwi:166893}}

The Clematis Arabella on the arch is fantastic this year.
    {{gwi:166895}}

Im loving the Abutilon in the urn in the driveway garden. I wish it had had a tag. I couldnt get a varietial name from any of the people working at the nursery where I bought it.
    {{gwi:166897}}

Every day the Container Garden fills in a bit more. Both of the large brugs began blooming a couple days ago. The flowers on the Charles Grimaldi are HUGE. I need to measure them. Mary, that peach one is a cutting of the cutting you sent me a few years ago. ~~ That large variegated plant in the urn in the foreground is the Fuchsia Sunray. Its just beginning to bloom. I cant wait to see it in a couple weeks.
    {{gwi:166898}}

Well I took quite a few photos yesterday so Ill post a separate thread so as not to slow this one down.

Have a great day everyone.

Good grief, I just chased the darned Great Blue Heron out of the yard again! Ive GOT to get some netting for the pond or Ill lose my fish.

OK Ill try again, have a great day everyone!

Deanne

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

We're heading up to the mid nineties again today and I have 14 members of my book group coming over for a BBQ this evening. Perhaps I should turn it into a pool party rather than a book discussion. I'm making grilled jerk chicken with papaya salsa and the marinade is mighty spicy. I'm not sure that will cool things off but some chilled wine might help. Some serious cleaning of the inside of the house is required too incase we end up in here. I could be busy today ;0(

I've been wondering how Annie is doing on her wilderness treck. David wanted to go to the summer fun program all this week making me the only one in the house - I've really noticed the quiet. Although I've been busy I'm missing everyone. Thank goodness for Clousseau! I think when the kids leave for college I shall get at least 2 more dogs, perhaps a goat, some chickens... hey, I'll be like T!

Deanne - I've enjoyed your gardens many times both by photo and in person, but there is ALWAYS soemthing new to look at and marvel. I'm looking forward to perusing your other thread. David has Karate tomorrow night but we wondered if Doug would like to join us for dinner Thursday? I'll email you.

Does anyone else have any Harry Potter fans at home? David has only read the first four books so wants to finish the 5th before seeing the new movie. Annie is greatly anticipating the release of the last book and is hoping DH will take her at midnight on the 21st to purchase it (I'll be at IU4). Both love the clip below, but be careful, it can stay with you. Snape, Snape, Severus Snape........

Mary

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Good morning!! ((Honey))

Deanne's pics are always a hard act to follow, but went outside this morning and and for July, I'm fairly pleased with Year 3 thusfar ....

Taken two weeks ago, Blaze and Shropshire Lad anchor a corner
    {{gwi:166899}}

This morning, particularly for Sue (for the Stella) and Kathy (for the pansies). Doesn't nature do it better than the rest of us combined sometimes???
    {{gwi:166900}}

Deanne's monster daylily -- first blooms came out this morning and the color is perfect with Scabiosa
    {{gwi:166901}}

And ten steps back
    {{gwi:166902}}

Finally took the plunge and got this at Ladd's after looking at it for Three Years!!! I guess no one else sees it's beauty, LOL, but I've not seen anything like it before
    {{gwi:166903}}

My baby prostrate 'Black Lace'. Love the flowering against the foliage -- an added bonus I hadn't expected. This plant is the perfect foil to balance the very large Japanese Maple on the other side of the house
    {{gwi:166905}}

Off for a vacation beauty day with my salon guy. Sounds more luxurious than it is -- color, cut, blowdry, arches, but hey, a girl can dream, right?? LOL

Best to all -

Martie

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Ooooh...more pictures! I just came from a stroll through some of Deanne's July garden-very theraputic.

Cindy, what a sweet combination you have with the Hydrangea-just perfect! I feel like I could step right into that second picture. It looks so cool and inviting.
    Yeah, FASCIATED-that's the ticket, lol! Of course, it would be fascinating as well:)

Deanne, I'm so glad to hear you didn't get any really rough weather out of the storm. How do you deal with all your containers when a storm pops up?? I'd be freaking out, lol!

Ei, I just checked out the link with the driftwood horses-thanks for posting that. Very cool. I don't know how they look at all those pieces and see a horse!

Mary, I think I'd be awful tempted to go for the pool party! Lol, we ended up with two dogs (actually three for a while) after the kids moved out. The kids and I adore Harry Potter-I can't wait to see the new movie, and I've got the book pre-ordered. Glad to hear that David wants to finish the book before he sees the movie. Phillip "had" to read the Harry Potter books once when he was grounded. I had the first three, and he was complaining that there was nothing to do, so I suggested reading them. "No thanks, I'll wait for the movie" got him sentenced to reading them, and telling me what was going on, so I knew he was actually doing the reading. About halfway into the third book, he asked if I could pick up the fourth when I was in town. I knew I'd get him hooked ;)

Martie, I see it's beauty! I love the base, especially. The pansy in the daylilly is so pretty. I just love when things like that happen. Have a good beauty day!

I need to go find myself a project. I completely lost my "happy thoughts" yesterday, and turned into Jim, lol! Went from the radar to the weather channel and out to watch the sky for most of the afternoon and evening. Better just keep myself busy and try to keep my mind off of it. It's just too nerve-wracking. Today and tonight, we have a better shot at some rain, 50%. So, I'm back to the "it will either rain or it won't, and there's nothing you can do about it" frame of mind today.

Have a good day, everyone!
    Brenda

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Well Deanne & Marty....what a lovely way to wake up in the morning....Such *gorgeous* pics!

Marty...you should be very proud...the garden is really looking great....isnt amazing how quickly it fills in? LOL! I LOVE the pansies popping out of the Stellas...nature sure is amazing; isnt it? I have a Hachonachola aureaola (I *know* the spelling is wrong...but Im too lazy to look it up) thats been in the ground for years and suddenly last year a small campanula portenschlagiana (I *think*) just popped up in the middle of the Hakone grass. I love it...reminds me of a water spray of blue popping out of the middle of a variegated geiser...LOL! :-) Yes, I *do* have a vivid imagination...LOL! But, Ill have to see if I can find the pic and show it to you some time.

Deanne, is that two different blue clematis on the arch or just an illusion? I love the way that looks. In any case Arabella is a beauty and Ill have to put that on my list for the next house. Love the 2 fuschia standards flanking the terrace bed...perfect! That abutilon is a beauty...I didnt know it came in pink. The container garden is stunning...you are such an amazing caregiver! :-) My containers dont look nearly as mature or full. How often do you fertilize your pots? You could make me cry ya know! Just kidding! Im *always* thrilled to see the beauty youve created and I am always inspired by your artists eye. Your photos and plantings give me the opportunity to see things in a different light than my own; to see the possibilities, to be open to other creative ideas and just, to admire the beauty. For instance...heres a Deannes inspiration (using containers as art objects in the garden, rather than planting them...see I listen, Deanne)! :-)

{{gwi:166907}}
    {{gwi:166908}}
    I have more Deanne inspirations too! ;-) As I say, youre a wonderful muse. :-) Actually have a lot of other Idyll inspirations too...you guys are the greatest!

Deanne...well, if you want one of those driftwood horses, I know *you* could make one...you are so talented! :-) They *are* beautiful; arent they? Brenda...you need one of the ones in the pasture! :-) Did *anybody* look at the panda baby yet? You have to look...it is just *too* adorable!

Thanks all about the New Dawn sympathies...you have more faith in me then I do...LOL! But, maybe I should have more faith in Ms. New Dawn. It all looks pretty bleak to me now, but I think what I really need to do is cut her back severely...to where she is still bushy and somewhat full (at about 3-4 feet) and let go of those long stems that are nearly naked and are so weak...I just have to harden my heart and do it. I guess Im afraid I might kill her in her weakened condition, but on thinking about it, if she remains as she is now she will probably die over this winter anyway if I dont do *something*.

Mary...sorry its so quiet at home...I remember the feeling. When my son moved out the house seemed *so* empty. Scout was a comfort for me too. You cracked me up about becoming a "T"...LOL! I want to become a "T" too! :-) Its so funny because all my life Ive said that someday I want to have a nonworking farm! :-) Kind of my own Noahs arc... 2 goats, 2 horses, 2 pigs, 2 sheep, a rooster & a hen, a couple of cows. They would all be my pets! :-) Wouldnt that be fun? T, if its not fun to take care of all those animals...please dont tell me! LOL!

Thinking of Honey & Tom today and Cynthia too....I hope there is some good new on Katie!

Oh well...time to get the bush whacked (my hair) and then off to pick up mom from daycare. TTYL! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Sorry...just peeking in to make sure my post was there and then I see this advertisement for 1000's of hairstyles at IVillage...LOL! Do you think they were reading my post? :-)

Have a great day all! Ei

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hello again

What a treat - Martie, your gardens are looking fabulous!! And your lawn is green - ours are in various stages of burning out. Love the Black Lace (mine pooped out and was ejected) and your flowering combos. I'd vote for the bird bath!!

Just came in after mowing, weed wacking and sweeping the patio. It was so hot in the sun I jumped in the pool in just my undies. There was a close call when the Fed Ex man came to deliver a package - fortunately he didn't need a signature. Not because I was topless (which I was) but because I was wearing the most enormous pair of florescent, lime-green underpants. As my kids would say TMI (too much information) LOL!

Off to attack the kitchen

Mary

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi Ei - we posted at the same time. Your gardens are just beautiful too - so lush and green.

Too funny about the ad for hairstyles. I think the last words or a post might trigger what shows up. When I checked my post there was an advertisment for Kenmore, probably because the last thing I wrote was that I was going to clean the kitchen. (Glad it skipped the part about giant, green underwear!)

Hey, we could have some fun with this! Let me see - I wonder what might show up if I finished talking about a large hairball.

M

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Today is the first day of having a car at my disposal. I ran a few errands, made some Waldorf salad, and donated a zillion empty flower pots to my favourite nursery. Poor Charlotte hates this weather...and so do I.
    "A mix of sun and cloud. 70 percent chance of showers or thunderstorms with the risk of a severe thunderstorm. Wind southwest 20 km/h. High 31.(87F) UV index 9 or very high. Humidity 70%"
    Good news is that tomorrow's high is expected to be 74F, so perhaps I'll get more weeding done.

Also made an appointment to get my hair cut, something I was supposed to do before leaving for Edmonton, but had to cancel. Think I'll get a pedicure too....A Granny has to take care of herself after all. ;-)

DH is so happy with his new toy. He keeps looking for excuses to drive places. You'd think he was 16 again. With all my flower pots gone, he'll be able to park both vehicles in the shed.(garage)

Today 2 people have invited themselves to come visit, one in July, the other in August. Truly, this is Grand Central Station B&B!

Our dear friend Bruce passed away on July 3rd, so we are adjusting to life without his energetic presence. :(

Here are a few shots from our Canada Day Celebration. (July 1st)
    {{gwi:166909}}

{{gwi:166910}}

And here is Reed with mommy in his "Bear Naked" outfit"
    {{gwi:166911}}

Enjoy your summer days!
    'bug

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your condolences on the loss of my pretty guy. He was such a special, sweet kitty and a real character. Its amazing how much personality a small animal can have. Were just very sad and blue. DH is on temporary lay-off this week so were leaning on each other.

First of all, Happy Birthday Eden and Doug!

{{gwi:166912}}

And ((((Eden)))), Im so very sorry to hear about your Mom. I know its a constant worry for you. And how awful about the tree and the damage.

Ei, so sorry about your New Dawn and the frost damage. Ive lost quite a few Heucheras. I really think it was the late frost that got them.

And congratulations again, Marie. I just love the 'hands' pic and the one of you holding your new little guy. So very sweet. All are beautiful keepsake pictures.

Im enjoying all your pix. It really gives me a lift especially since my garden is such a mess. Ive been working on everyone elses stuff, not mine. Right now, I dont have the energy or initiative to work out there. Perhaps later this week.

A neighbor has been holding and watering 3 more Euonymous Harlequin for me while we were away on vacation:

{{gwi:166913}}.

I really love the varigation b/c the white leaves look like its flowering. But Im really confused.about how big it actually will get. The tag from the grower says it will get 4 x 4. Advice online says it will get 12" x 18", which is about what it is now. Hmmmm. Anyone have any ideas on how big it will really get?

Im outta steam here. All I can do for today. Thinking of everyone and hoping all those under the weather are feeling better including furry friends.

Honey

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Honey -- If it's like every v. Euonymous I know with that habit it'll cling and climb and keep going. It is really pretty, but so are "dwarf" flowering kiwi. I once topiaryed a cream and yello E. with good results. Take Note, Deanne :-)

Gardening Tip of the Day --- when the plant you're about to buy is already full-grown according to the tag, in the pot, multiply it by 3 :-) We seriously used to tell customers this back in my biz days.

Mary -- LOL the lime green underwear. Thanks to your inspiration, just took a cherry cake out of the oven. I'm a major pie fanatic, but the gentlemen of the house prefer cake. Let them eat it!!

Marie -- I liked your boy teenager as soon as I saw his Cancun shirt. Anyone who likes Cancun is good with me ;-)

Deanne -- [edited for Gardenweb] Your teenage boy thing just irks me. Since the kids obviously don't give a hoot about the plants or your hospitality, talk to the darn parents!! My guess is that they'll be mortified and if they aren't, are they really important?????

Sue -- With your idea, will be topiarying a sand cherry to match the Finally shaped Kousa. What a luxury to hoist perennials, BTW. LOL

Rich is drumming but if I don't get to watering I'll lose stuff.

Martie

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ive been working on the post all day. Its been a crazy one and I havent been at my desk a lot. I ended up at the clinic to find out that I have shingles. Then a run to the pharmacy during lunch. Then an unexpected meeting and then workmen at my desk installing a new overhead light. Boy can I see now!

Brenda, I take it you are quite dry too. Dont you just hate when you think the rain is coming and it skirts you? We had 40% last night but I guess the 60% won out.

Mary, LOL on the skinny dipping experience.

Deanne, seeing your Arabella reminds me that I have taken cuttings from mine. Ive never tried clematis cuttings, but figure its worth a try. I think I need more Arabellas in my garden. Id like to try some as sprawlers. I have quite a few seedlings this year from my Nelly Moser which Ive never had before.
    I think I need to add compost to my Endless Summers, yours are doing great. I picked up 2 nice sized Blushing Brides the other day for $6.50 ea.

Ei, those horses are awesome. Some people are so creative. Would you believe I tried to let my pelargonium go dormant and lost it? I do have one small cutting. Im glad to see that yours looks so good. Sorry to see your New Dawn looking less than its splendor self. Mine always die back quite far, but I think that its because they are on a fence and get north winter winds. I havent checked the panda, but will.

Martie, what a cool and unique birdbath. Your gardens are really coming along.

Cindy, your garden looks so English to me. I love it.

V, I remember Lake Geneva, that nursery was my favorite.

bug, you have such a great way of capturing your family with your camera.

Eden, Im happy to hear that your garden survived for the most part.

Im sure Im missing comments, but I best post this before I leave work.

Michelle

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Marty, about the v. Euonymous, that's kinda what I thot. It's supposed to be very slow growing. Think I'll put them in the middle of the bed instead of fronting a bed as was suggested on several info sites.

Interesting you used and E and made a topiary. I used 'Moonshadow' in one of the subdivision's entrance plantings for some interest and color. I'm hoping it'll be tough as nails. We'll see.

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Quickie post! We got 6/10 of rain last night. Not nearly enough, but at this point, we'll take what we can get. Was great to sit out on the porch last night and watch the rain move in. It CAN rain!! I was starting to wonder ;)
    Brenda

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Good Morning All! Had a wonderful last evening and this morning catching up with all your separate posts! What beautiful pics and so interesting too! Thanks everyone for sharing those!

Honey, sorry can't tell you about the Euonymous. That is a beautiful one though and I see what you mean about the white foliage looking like flowers...very pretty. I had a variegated euonymous (yellow though, not white) a long time ago and its growth pattern sort of reminds me of yours. It didn't get terribly tall (about 2 & 1/2 feet I would say) but spread pretty far (around 5 or 6 feet) if I'm recalling correctly. Unfortunately Euonymous scale runs rampant around here and mine got it. Since I don't spray, I finally just had to get rid of the shrub cause the scale is nearly impossible to control without spraying. I really loved it though and it made a nice, neat groundcover.

Bug...love that Reed...what a cutie patooty! :-) Love his hands...very strong, I think. Looks like Canada Day was a lot fun. So sorry to hear about Bruce. It was nice to read what was said about him in your separate post. What a wonderful man!

Aww Michelle...I'm so sorry to hear you lost your geraniums. They are beautiful and I really love them. Would you like me to try growing you a cutting and send it to you? I'd be happy too. Surprised to hear your New Dawn dies back in winter! I guess, as you say, because it's in the exposed north? I have never had any remarkable dieback on mine in all the years I've had it. Although mine has the "east" exposure which roses are said to love. Or maybe I just have (had?) a super specimen...boo hoo...I hope it's not *had*! Some times I do wonder if it has something to do with the original propagator/propagation (sp.?) There have been times (though I can't think of an example right now) that I have tried a plant that was suppose to be "iron clad" and it ends up being such a weak grower for me and I *think* I've taken care of it properly and have no other explanation and so I wonder if the mother plant was an inferior one or if the propagation techinique wasn't the best? Who knows! This is only my own personal opinion and I could be way off base,but it seems to me that a lot of the plants that are being heavily propagated these days like heucheras, daylilies, and hostas, etc. seem to be weaker growers than their old standby varieties and wonder if there isn't some link there. Okay...I didn't mean to ramble so...Sorry about that! :-)

Glad to hear Brenda got rain! We had some last night too. It's been a pretty good year this year, with regular rains and I can see an improvement in the garden, which makes me hopeful that it is recovering from our last 2 years of drought.

Well, I better be going...lots to do today!

Have a great day all!

P.S. Thanks Mary about the garden. I really do like that container there. It makes a nice focal point I think. The gardens are looking much more lush this year...thanks! We have been having pretty regular rains, which really helps. Anyway, I am purposely ending my post with mention of lime green panties...LOL! I think it will be fun to see what advertisement I get! :-)

Ei

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Darn! No green panty adverts! :-) Just checking...LOL!

Have a great day all! Ei

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Michelle ouch the shingles? Poor u gee, I hope it wasnt something "we said" here when talking about Sues problem? Yikes poor you Im glad you got it diagnosed properly though boy, youve had more than your fair share of illness/med problems too this year I sure hope you watch all that stress at the ofc I imagine that doesnt help the immune system any. Pls do feel better soon. And such a lovely compliment re my tatty yard Id love to be reminded of English gardens. . . . .even if its a really wild one, LOL...

Mary loved the TMI I had visions of you gardening in your green undies! . . . count me in as a Harry Potter fan... I dont have any little ones at home, but I still love the books & have seen the movies in fact, my DD (all grown up!) & I started a tradition of going to see the movies together as a mom/daughter outing! Were hoping to do this weekend, LOL... Hope your book club/pool party turned out okay we had some deluges of rain here in DC today unfortunately not so much in my home neighborhood & I was draggin hoses around last nite Im afraid some things are already past "gone"... I should have watered a day ago but have been too durned tired when I get home at nite. . . .

Martie your "park" is doing wonderfully & things are really filling in, arent they? I love the roses in the front so welcoming! Isnt it fun to have Idyll plants to show off?! Enjoy vacation.

Ei what a wonderful treat takes me down "memory lane" to see current shots of your fabulous garden I loved that urn in your yard such drama and it looks fabulous again I saw one in the spring that reminded me of yours, but opted not to buy because I didnt think I could do it justice as you have done. I cant tell you how much inspiration I got from your gardens. . . . from the daylilies (ship to me in the Fall thats probably safer, unless youre coming to IU4????) to the callirhoe, Chamaecyparis nootkatensis Glauca Pendula (you and I chatted about) so many things Ive looked over my photos from your place, time and time again for inspiration. I just love how you combined so many wonderful things together.

Brenda like you, Im watching the skies relentlessly, hoping for rain but while it rained about ¾ inches in DC proper, my yard 30 miles away got less than ¼ inche boo hiss. . . .

LOL... still no green pantie adverts. . . .

Cindy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Life has improved! It is about 75F today. I've weeded some, but need weeks to accomplish what needs doing around here....
    Here's some clematis that I discovered romping around together after weeding in the veg garden yesterday. Mikelite and Kaiu are their names.

{{gwi:166914}}

I am having major daughter/baby withdrawal. I haven't held him in ages! Mary, green pants takes on a whole new meaning when thinking of Reed....

{{gwi:166915}}

Time for some lunch.
    'bug

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Well, Ive just come in for some lunch and to cool off. It isnt that hot out, only 84, but the humidity is unreal. I got the spins when I stood up too quickly a little while ago and decided it was time to take a break. Ive been working like a demon in the gardens lately and it seems Im never caught up. Now that the daylilies are really getting going there is daily deadheading as well as watering to deal with. I wish you could all see my H. Endless Summer, the flower heads on it are just gigantic and that plant is still throwing pink through purple and blue flowers with some of the flower heads combinations of all the colors. I have no clue as to why that plant is still doing that.
    {{gwi:166916}}
    On the other side of the bush there is another flower head that is as pink as the fuchsia Beacon Rosa. I really do love that shrub. I already have three of them and might just find a spot for another.

This morning I cleaned up the driveway garden and smushed a bunch more of the dratted lily beetles. Those insects make me crazy. I used the Bayer on the lilies yesterday and hopefully I wont seen any more damage. At least they havent touched my Regale lilies which started opening on Monday. Ill have to grab a pic of them for you when more of the buds are open. Im hoping to get Doug to stand in the pic so you can see how tall they are. Im thinking they have to be pushing seven feet tall! They are next to the Buddleia Pink Delight which is getting really tall this year as well. It didnt die back as much as normal so I think its going to put on quite a show this year. I also finally got around to staking my Hibiscus Fantasia which has gotten pretty large and is setting buds. Its looking like it will put on as nice a show as it did last year.

Martie, your gardens are looking terrific! Love that daylily with the stokesia. Thats a perfect combination. And that birdbath really is lovely.

Brenda, when we get T storms I sort of cross my fingers and hope for the best. The only plant I routinely move is the large standard fuchsia. The head on that one is so large now that Im afraid that a really strong wind could break the top off and thats taken too long to mature to risk losing it.

Eileen, your gardens are looking fabulous! I just love that container in your garden. What is really cool is thats the exact same one I have in my shed garden in that container grouping. ~~ RE the pic of the Arabella, that is just one plant. The flowers lighten up as they mature so it looks like there are two colors on the plant. ~~ I completely agree with you about some of the newer cultivars being weak. I know several of those lovely new heucheras just died out over the course of a couple seasons and some of those newer echinaceas are the same way. Ive got two Hydrangea Little Honeys that are just lingering about not doing much growing so Im thinking they are another weak plant that will need shovel pruning if they dont perk up soon.

Mary, I ROTFLOL at the picture of you in your lime green undies ducking from the FedEx guy. ~~ BTW did you ever find that purple, double datura this year?

Michelle, Oh no!!!! Shingles? Thats awful. So sorry to hear that. I sure hope they dont last very long. ~~ What a great idea to try getting cuttings from Arabella. I agree that ever garden needs more than one of them. Im up to five now and am always thinking of where I can tuck in another. Where do you think youll use it as a sprawler? Ive thought I might plant one so that it can grow over one of my rock walls.

Great pics NanaMarie!

OK time to get back to work here. Have a great day
    Deanne

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Whoo-hoo! Deanne's gorgeous hydrangea reminded me of something I meant to comment on yesterday...

Thanks Deanne & Cindy! This year has definitely been better than the last two. I was almost ready to give up gardening by the end of last summer...naaa, not really, but it certainly is disheartening when rain becomes so scarce.

I wanted to tell Cindy how absolutely gorgeous her garden is...I agree with Michelle...it *does* remind me of an English garden. Anyway, the reason Deanne reminded me was because I was going to comment on how absolutely gorgeous your hydrangeas are too. The only hydrangeas which do well for me are Hydrangea 'Annabelle' and Hydrangea quercifolia 'Snow Queen'. All the rest of the hydrangeas never get those big beautiful flowers the both of you have...how come? :-( Here's my baby! :-) Please excuse the very distracting "bird cage" over the pond. I have a rascally racoon that just doesn't know when to give up! :-)

BTW, has anyone else noted the exquisite, delicate fragrance of the Hydrangea quercifolias?...at least mine has it. I was watering one night and this heavenly fragrance kept tickling my nose while I was watering S.Q. I couldn't figure it out at first, I mean I didn't think hydrangeas had fragrance, so I was looking nearby to see what *else* might have a fragrance. Anyway, finally buried my nose in a panicle of Ms. Snow Queen and mmmmm...what a lovely scent, very complex and elegant...wish I could bottle it and make it my personal fragrance!

{{gwi:166917}}
    Well, I better be going I've spent way too much time on the computer today...

Speaking of which, Michelle, I re-posted the invite for you & Mary...you just cracked me up! :-)

P.S. So sorry to hear about the shingles. I don't know how I missed your posting that yesterday. I've heard how uncomfortable they can be...my step mother-in-law had them last summer and she was just miserable. Hope your bout will be much shorter and milder.

Ei

• chelone
    16 years ago

Ooohhh noo! I'm falling behind... wait for me.

Busy week here (pant) and much I want to comment on, but the perpetual din of construction makes concentration difficult. I'm taking pictures, though.

And drooling over the peaceful shots of your very lovely, QUIET gardens. I've even allowed myself to ponder a very large urn for the space between the garage doors... how's that for "expansive"?

Rex's incision is looking really good, no oozing of any sort and he licks it only occasionally. No bitter apple crap, no "lampshade"... rien! He's really a very good cooperator... even with 3 strange dogs tethered out in his "territory".

Hello to everyone, I'll try to do some reading now. You think?

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good afternoon

GB - glad to see your clems are blooming despite being left to fend for themselves. Did you loose any? Baby Reed made me smile - what perfect little features.

Ei - I'll have to go smell my quercifolia as I've never noticed any fragrance. I cannot remember now which cultivar it is.

Michelle - hope your case Shingles is not too severe. It can be a rotten experience - take care of yourself.

Chelone - glad Rex is doing well and being such a good patient.

Cynthia - any updates on Katie?

Last night really lived up to Michelle's title for this Idyll - a hot summer's night. Never the less it turned out to be a great evening with the Chicklits (our book group). We had a wonderful selection of food, lots of wine and good book talk. David came and played his guitar to us while we ate - he played so beautifully it almost brought tears to my eyes. A friend of my sister's from New Orleans has just moved to our town and I was able to introduce her to the group. It turns out she moved in 3 doors down from another book club member and both have sons the same age. I love it when you are able to introduce people and feel they will enjoy getting to know each other.

Only one of the group was up for a swim and we floated in the pool under the stars with fire-flies flashing till late in the evening. It felt sooooooooo good. Another friend chatted poolside, entertaining us with stories of her wild youth. We've known each other for over 10 years and I would never have guessed at some of those secrets. We're all rather conventional now, happily engrossed in raising children, PTSA, jobs etc. but sometimes it's fun to remember earlier carefree days.

Today I had a work lunch - it was social more than work, and I had the chance to see a training video I was filmed for earlier in the year. I was mostly pleased with the sections I was in, but thought I looked decidedly "wrinkly" especially on my forehead. Perhaps it's time to splash out on some Oil of Olay Regenerist.

Tonight there are leftovers from last night (an easy supper), then David has Karate class. I think I should probably shoot for any early night too.

Hi to all

Mary

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

OK, we're near the end of this thread so Gramma will bore you with more pictures from last night. I just love this....Thank heaven for computers!

{{gwi:166918}}

• chelone
    16 years ago

Can't you superimpose some of those shots over clematis? or supstitute his head for a blossom?

:)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Sorry Chelone, clematis are boring these days.....

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

GB - LOL!! the leering wink in the third line is the best one.

Chelone - I'm glad Rex is recovering well. I hope he's back in full fine form soon. He sure sounds like a dog that would appeal to me. Our next doggie guest arrives Saturday for a two week stay. Copper is not as mellow a big, hairy beast as Charlotte is so it's going to be an interesting time.

Michelle - Shingles?! Ouch... I hope it's not a bad case.

Sue - is your problem clearing up now? I missed what the status was lately. It sounded like something you definitely didn't need to round out the summer!

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Okay, I'm gonna give this a whirl, even though I'm feeling overwhelmed at my behind-edness on Idyll :)

I loved seeing the redwoods, Kathy, but was disappointed that you didn't tell us how much you won at poker. I am a closet poker player - wish I had someone to play with!

Eden, I was mortified by your storm story! I hope that you get a wonderful new structure and that all the plants do just as you command them to with your pruners and shovel. I know you will put it all back together (maybe some things will migrate to Jenni's).

GB, I absolutely love seeing itty-bitty's pix....keep um coming! I do think Chelone's on to something....someone needs to doctor a photo with a clem and itty-bitty.

I'm glad I passed over Memory Keeper's Daughter and opted for The Mermaid Chair (author of Secret Life of Bees, which I think would have been perfect if I were 15....but still great!)....my other pick was "Best Friends" by Martha Moody, only because my best friend is coming here, soon.

Comments, anyone? I'd trade books if someone's willing, I read 'em up pretty quick this time of year.

I know I have more comments, but they're eluding me now. I wish I were a part of chicklits....as I read books I long for someone to talk to about feelings that they bring up or thoughts that they evoke.

Mary, my UPS man is kind of on the creepy side to me (he doesn't look/act creepy, just a feeling) and I think I might've died in the pool if he'd shown up :)

I hope that Michelle's Shingles are short lived, and that Sue's celluitis (I had to look that one up, painful!) clears soon! Relax as much as you both can and try to heal soon!

Chelone, glad to hear Rex doesn't bother his incision....Zeus is sporting a lampshade right now....licked another hot spot! He's killing me (and my summer budget!!!!)

Oh, I pulled something in my "rear end" and I hope I am able to sit/walk during idyllunion. I'm really bummed....no pun intended!

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Regretably, no time for a lengthy post tonight,and what a great group of photos ! I so enjoyed reading and viewing-hope for more time tommorow..
    Martie, I have to mention your birdbath, I love 'barley twist ' stuff- I have at least three antique tables that are barley twist--

Saucy, 11 dollars I think (big bucks ,right ?"

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    16 years ago

A beautiful good morning to everyone,

A cold front pushed through last night and we have a gorgeous day on tap here. The air is finally dried up from the horrible humidity of the past week and the temps are currently mid 60s going up to the lower 80s today. Its funny that the temps are in the same range but the drier air mass makes it feel ten degrees cooler. ~~ I dont know whats different this year but all the Arabella clematis are outperforming themselves this year. The Polish Spirit on the arch is also really doing well. Now if I could just get the darned meadow voles out of my shed garden so I could get some lilies growing there again Id be happy. Every time I see Sues Sum and Substance and Frances Williams hostas I get angry about the stupid rodents eating my hosta roots. My hostas are half the size they used to be and just wont get any larger and in fact some years shrink. I guess I should be glad they are still alive. LOL

Eileen I dont remember ever seeing a photo of your pond before. What a pretty spot! Love it. Are those angel wing begonias planted around it? I need to get some kind of netting or cage over mine because the Great Blue Heron is visiting lately. Id be heartbroken to lose my fishies. Ive had some of them for nine years now.

Mary, I sure wish I was closer so I could join your book group. Sound fun and interesting. ~~ LOL about needing wrinkle cream. I cant believe the difference in what I think I look like and what I actually look like. Some mornings I should just walk around with a bag over my head. LOL

Bug, what a cutie patootie! Clematis boring? I cant believe you said that!

Saucy, sorry youre bummed out so to speak. ~~ We had a dog that kept getting hot spots and having to wear the lampshade. What a pain in the neck. Hope Rex heals up soon.

OK time to get my day going here. Have a great day all
    Deanne

• just_t
    16 years ago

Babies here again today (and yesterday and overnight last night). I've just spent nap time catching up on all of the threads (you guys have been busy!!) now have one awake (and tearing the room apart) so not much time before I have to get off the computer and do damage control. Life is very busy when these two are around.

Yesterday morning, before the twins arrived at my house, I went to James' home and babysat there for 4 hours. Drove the 30 minutes home and the twins' car came up the driveway right behind me---no rest for Grammie T unfortunately. Next week I have the twins 4 days. I'm starting to twitch and have crossed eyes from not getting any 'T' time.

Wel ll, a little one is helping me type so it is time to close.\
    nnnnhhnnnnnn (Jake says 'good-bye' too.)

Hello to all and my sympathies to Michelle on the shingles. I've heard they are miserable. Loved Mary's story about her dip in the pool........too much to commentn o fnnnnnnnanh and someone is getting impatient to hav ehhhhhhhhh hist ime on the computer keyboard (I gave him the television remote 0nn 0nn but he'd rather help me wit hthe ke yboard) .

T.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz