Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Idyll #389 The Hundred Acre Woods

saucydog
15 years ago

Brenda, I love Pooh. My kids roll their eyes :)

My favorite story is the one of Pooh who gorges on too much honey at Rabbits house and can't get out of the hole because his middle is too round.

Sarah and I lifted the cover off of the hive this morning and watched the bees. We observed the thick scent of honey! I may have a Pooh Bear of my own soon.....

Carry on....

Comments (101)

• deanneart
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Saucy, you were posting when I was and what a great surprise when I clicked back to the forum to see your photos. Lovely!!!! Your containers are looking AWESOME! I love the banana one. Neat that you still have that daylily. It looks happy in its new digs.

Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Love that first photo, Saucy! All your plants look nice and healthy. Are those taken with the new camera?

Deanne...Quite a whirlwind week you have coming up! Can't wait to see your new fountain up and running too.

Martie...Hope you enjoy the day today...and that time goes by very fast between now and when you are past your surgery and feeling better!

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Don't tell DH that I've been reading here...
    Saucy, what camera did you decide on?
    Later,
    Dizzy bug

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

O, no, should we call this the dizzy idyll? Sorry so many folks are having such problems -- I hope PM, w/ yours they are watching your potassium -- deficiencies can be fatal - some medications one takes can make that occur, I recall my mother having a problem w/ it; I think it was her BP meds?. Interesting in your case, the added salt helped your dizziness -- for me w/ the allergies and someone who retains water easily, salt is an enemy - especially in the summer and when I have the fluid in the ear problem - so for me the opposite is important - gotta stay away from salt. Isnt it interesting how dizziness could come from opposite issues - guess it goes to show we should be sure to consult experts...

I sure hope both 'bug and PM feel better soon!

Michelle, I picked up the P. Crocodile and P. sidoides on my outing w/ Cynthia earlier in the Spring & have loved both -- the Croc. hasnt really put out much bloom (maybe if I fertilized it more it would help, LOL), but that foliage speaks for itself - you've got some gorgeous combos there.

Only a minute to post here, totally swamped and stressed -- longing to have arrived at the IU destination, LOL... it's probably about a 5 hr drive for me, if no bad turns of traffic tie-ups on the NJ turnpike - guess we'll all say our prayers/mantras, for easy traveling for us all -- ground and air. I predict Jerri swoons at the sight of Deanne's fantastic gardens!

Like you, Deanne, I a wee bit worried about the prolonged sunshine & high temps -- and maybe my DD will stop by on Sat to check out; but I couldnt ask the dogsitter to spend time watering my obsessions... I hope we hit some nurseries at IU so I can bring something home in case everything is toast... how's that for perverse logic?

I love the photos -- everyone's containers & gardens look so lush, creative and marvey.

Ok, gotta think about packing my desk, stuff, getting some deadlines & court filings done, etc....

--Cindy

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GB, I'm not supposed to be here, either :) Too much to do besides Idyll....

I got the Nikon D60....give it a google.

Saucy
    (who has only ventured into the realm of point and shoot with the auto settings and is very happy....can't wait to take a class and get creative)

• deanneart
    15 years ago

So I came home from the gym and what did I see.... The divine 'Joylene Nichole' has outdone herself this year. I finally diagnosed the thrips I'd had a problem with in the last couple years and this daylily is spectacular this year.
    {{gwi:167205}}

{{gwi:167207}}

{{gwi:167209}}

{{gwi:167210}}

Sorry but I had to share at least four of the forty or so photographs I took of this this morning. The pics don't do it justice though. Wish you could all see it in person.

Cindy, "marvey" !!???? I LOL when I read your post. I haven't heard that in years. Excitement is building here. Can't wait to pick up Jerri and can't wait to see everyone!

OK later, time to inspect and de-catify the guest room.

Deanne

• lesliedon
    15 years ago

Hello Idylls! Happy day to you all. A lovely day here, started off with my coffee and a visit to the garden. Next thing I knew I was knee deep in garden and the coffee wasted away to. Then I was too hot and sweaty to be able to sit back and enjoy a fresh cup so I went straight to my cola. Weeds, weeds, weeds!! Why, oh why, cant plants in the garden that I pay good money for and coddle and baby and speak sweet nothings to do as well as a seed thats come from bird poop or dropped haphazardly by the wind. ! Its just disheartening!

Went to see Journey to the Center of the Earth yesterday in 3D. By some fluke, we got to see it for free! What a deal! The tickets for the 3D showing were about $12.00 a piece and there were 4 of us and we were springing for the tickets. I thought the movie was really cute - I like Brendan Frasier. It was not just a remake of the old classic, it was a modern day tale. Very fun.

Im thinking of taking the "Flylady" approach to my garden. Set a timer for 15 minutes and GO! Stop when it bings. Decide what is my hot-spot and spend 15 minutes fixing it up, etcthe 15 item "Fling Boogie" (or something like that) - It could be "flinging" weeds, or getting rid of things in a certain area. I work much better when everything gets broken down into small portions. People swear by the Flylady house cleaning method, I think it could work in the garden, too.

Phoebe is so adorable in her summer cut!

Kathy - I have been toying with the idea of one of those old mowers. I saw them for sale in Wal-Mart not too long ago. Do you have to have the blades sharpened? How difficult are they to push? Youth has escaped me!

PM2 - I just cant help but laugh when I picture you out with your flashlight trying to look at the garden. What must the neighbors think????? Its strange about the night creatures being absent - hope theyre just kind of hiding from the cooler temps. Our mosquitoes didnt appear at their normal time because we stayed cool in the evenings for so long this year - what a treat! Glad youre feeling a little better. Hope its something as simple as salt. Re: the kid in the picture story - too funny. Future generations will be trying to figure out if thats Dear Ol Crazy Uncle Joe that theyve heard so many stories about! By the time your great, great, great grandchildren look at the photo the kid will have a whole history invented by their ancestors !

RE: storing photos, I upload them all to my computer and have folders for months and areas. Then, periodically I put them on a CD. I lost many of my 2006 photos because my computer crashed and I hadnt saved my photos to disc, so now Im careful to save them.

Saucy - those are such great pots! I love the little wooden chair as a resting place for some well placed plants - what a cute idea. That one little pot on the chair looks so aged - its great!

Deanne - Im so envious of the reunion, hopefully one day I can make the trip. I can actually fly for free, and have the summer off, the problem is getting an airline seat now - they are a rare find for pass riders. DH says maybe we can plan a trip up one year and see the sights along the way. I swear I would come and work like a dog if you would just let me observe some of your abilities in person!! Thats one fantastic daylily there. What a spectacular set of blooms.

I love the people who are posting in secret. Too funny. I, too, should be doing other things.

Okay, gotta run. Sometimes I actually do do things other than think and speak about the garden (not often, I admit, but enough to keep the fam happy!

Leslie

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

So with all the dizzy Idyllers do you suppose Jeri will become dizzy and swoon/faint when she gets her first in-person glimpse of Deannes garden ??

And will Deannes be at the airport like a tour group greeter holding up a little sign that says "Welcome , IU5 Straight ahead"

From another sneaky poster...good thing I'm the boss.

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Leslie, that's one of my 'tufa pots....and I had the Canna pot sitting on the chair, but it has a rotten seat and I got fearful....when I get back from Idyllunion, I have to rearrange pots so Nick can do some work on the deck.

{{gwi:163393}}

LOL....sneaking in again....

Saucy

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Since we're being sneaky...I'll sneak one in, too :) Pictures are awesome as always!

Deanne, I HAVE to ask...did you prop that daylily up to bunch all the flowers together? I've never seen a daylily so absolutely LOADED with gorgeousness!

I finally made it to the link for the 100 Acre Wood. I knew that Christopher Robin was named for Milne's son, but never knew he resented it. I have spent many happy hours with many small children reading Pooh stories and watching Pooh movies, and I ADORE the story where he gets stuck in Rabbit's hole.

Michelle, the succulent sink is wonderful! Very clever of you!

Eden, I'll add my name to the list of people who want to see updated shots of your DD's garden. And it's BELLA that's missing! I knew there was a youngster I was missing seeing.

Sorry to hear the "dizzy-bug" is getting so many!

Bug, Phoebe is spectacular, before and after! What a face :)

I'll be waiting in envious anticipation of pictures from the Idyllunion...one of these years, I'm gonna make it to one of them! Hope everyone has a wonderful time!

Big news here! My little girl was proposed to yesterday and she said yes!!! I just adore the guy she's engaged to-he's a keeper for sure. Very responsible, level headed, hard worker and a great sense of humor. One step closer to GRANDBABIES, WOO HOO!!!
    Today I had an eye appointment. Was hoping to get fitted for bifocal contacts. I have a REALLY hard time doing things like tweezing my eyebrows. I'm very nearsighted in general, and have to sit in the morning light with a magnifying mirror to do it. Turns out that with the combination of my nearsightedness and astigmatism, they don't make bifocal contacts for me. I'm going to try monovision (?) contacts. One contact is for long vision, one for reading and see how that goes. I don't think it's going to help with the tweezing, though. By the time any of you meets me in person, I may very well be the one with the giant UNIBROW, because I'm not sure it's worth the aggravation.
    Oh, brother, I'm busted! DH heard the keyboard rattling, so right now is the time for me to decide where he needs to put a dump-truck load of mulch :( He's in the doghouse a bit about it, anyway. I asked for it in February. My hope was to take my time and get a layer of mulch on things before we started farming, and not have so much to play catch-up on after the crops were planted. Of course, he delayed. After the crops were planted and I got my back straightened out, I started weeding in earnest, all the while mentioning we needed the mulch. Then, wheat got ready to harvest. He chose to get the mulch yesterday afternoon. The last couple of days have been cooler and low humidity but, again, no mulch. The truck arrived 3 hours before we had to go to MIL's for dinner. Today, it's blazing hot and plans to stay that way for a while, and of course, I have a whole new crop of weeds growing. SIGH..if he would only do what I ask, when I ask, the world would be a better place, lol! Okay, I told him I'd be there in a second, and I've kept him waiting for a good five minutes, so I'd better go tell him where to put it [G]. I'm a bit passive-aggressive, but I figured since I waited nearly 6 months for the mulch, might as well finish my post ;)
    Have a grand afternoon/evening all, and hope all the dizzy idylls get their bearings!
    Brenda

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Wow wee on those daylilies Deanne!!

Leslie...you should try heading out to the garden next time you can't sleep. It is addictive. [g] Neighbors...all asleep. I hadn't thought of how the stories will spin about the boy in our photos, but they should be interesting, considering he was definitely very dark complexioned and we are all slathered with sunscreen to shield our fair and delicate skin. [g]

Sneaky posting....lol...very interesting.

Brenda, what excellent news!! Oh what a wonderful description of DD's intended! Does he have a brother for my DD? :-) :-)

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Very warm weather here. We have been enjoying lots of lightning bugs at night. Last night I was salating by the butterfly garden at twilight and I got the nicest light show. One night when Kenzie was with us she had so much fun "catching" them. She also tries very hard to catch butterflies.

Brenda, Im doing the monovision. My goal is to not get bifocals until I hit 50.

Saucy, great tufa! I like the moss on the edges way cool! And the banana pot is far from an ugly duckling. It is a great combination.

Leslie, Im jealous of your 2" of rain. July and August are typically pretty dry here. Theres a few chances in the next couple of days, so my fingers are crossed.

PM, your trip sounds like a nice getaway. It reminds me of our Great Lakes area here in Iowa and Arnolds Park amusement park. Its a very historic and fun place. I believe its the oldest amusement park west of the Mississippi River.

Deanne, 'Joylene Nichole' is truly divine. When I saw Crocodile last summer at a public garden I knew it had to be in my collection. I think I need to send some cuttings to you this fall. I think I promised you a coleus and some columbine seeds. Im sure you need more things to overwinter LOL I actually found it and the coleus at the little farm nursery near me. The same place that has the animals that I took Kenzie to see.

I remember our neighbors having reel mowers when I was a kid. I was a puny kid and could never get them to go. I wonder if the new types push easier? Not that it would even be a possibility for us.

Stay cool

Michelle

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Afternoon all,

Im avoiding picking up the vacuum cleaner today for some reason and I REALLY have to get to it soon. The daylilies are all popping out here and Im enjoying the changing scenery here each morning.

Leslie, LOL about the coffee. Ill do that all the time. Fix a cup then decide to just deadhead one thing and pouff, three hours have gone by and I never had the coffee. ~~ I really hope you can attend an IU sometime too. We really do have a fabu time. ~~~ So, you get free airplane tickets and youd like work in the gardens? When are you coming? I have a great B&B here that Id love to trade for garden help. LOL

Kathy, you are too funny. Maybe I should just carry a pot around with me instead of a sign. It will be dark by the time Jerri gets in tonight but Im thinking well have to have breakfast on the patio tomorrow AM.

Brenda, no staking or arranging any of those stems to get those daylily pictures. Its funny that I didnt notice it driving out this morning but when I came back from the gym I think my jaw dropped to the ground when I saw how many blossoms were open at once. Ive had that plant for a long time and this is the best showing of blooms ever. Too bad theyll all be gone in the morning so Jerri wont see it. It probably wont have but a few open tomorrow after this. Maybe Ill get a flashlight out. LOL ~~ So congratulations on the engagement. Thats so neat. ~~ I chuckled over the bark mulch story. Sounds familiar. I was supposed to get a full view storm door for my birthday three years ago now but it still hasnt happened. Doug says its one of those Time Projects. Hell get to it when he has the time. Hysterical isnt he?

PM LOL about the extra in your family photographs. That is too funny. Kids can be so fun sometimes.

Michelle, yes PLEASE! Id love to have some cuttings of that geranium. Its really gorgeous and Id love to have it in my collection. Ill trade you a fan of that Jolyene Nichole daylily.

Okie Dokie, must run and get some stuff done. Break is over for now,

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I guess I'll sneak in too while Bella's having an after-nap snack.

Deanne, those daylilies are unbelieveable. If I could get mine to look like THAT I'd have more than the very few I've kept. Sorry that you had the wind damage. I know firsthand how discouraging that is. But it's really amazing how fast most plants recover I've learned.

Saucy, your container gardens are great this year. I really like the chair too. Since you now have a new camera we'll be expecting lots of IU photos OK?

Brenda, congratulations on your daughter's engagement. Most definitely a step closer to grandbabies.

Michelle, such neat plants in your container gardens! They're beautiful! We've had lots of fireflies here too this year. I love sitting and watching them too.

Marie, please take care of yourself. Hope you're feeling much better today.

PM, glad to hear you're feeling better. Love the story about the little boy getting in your picture.

Kathy, we purchased a reel mower last summer since we have so little lawn. Brad mows the lawn and seems to like it other that he says he has to go over it a few times to get it all evenly cut.

Leslie, I seldom finish a cup of coffee in the garden either. There's always something that I notice and jump up to do. This year it's the millions of maple seedlings that I see everywhere and need to pull.

The blood drive on Sunday was a success. We had over 100 donors and ended up with 77 pints of blood. Enough to replace what my mom's used. She's had lots of transfusions, especially platelets.

Yesterday I redid a small section of my back garden. Still haven't gotten to the area in back that I want to work on but there's still time right?

I deleted lots of pictures from my picturetrail account this morning so maybe now it will let me add some I hope. I need to take some recent ones of Jen's garden though. The ones I took before were from the beginning of June and are now outdated. Someone asked if both my girls garden. Only Jen for now. Meg and Bella are in a condo so no garden space there.

Idyll time's up. Time to go play in the sandbox with Bella. Have a good evening.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Yes Deanne, meet Jerri holding a pot of coleus. That'll identify you, lol! Forgot to say that I can't wait to see the fountain all set up and running!

Here's a link to what all husbands need :) Actually I could use one too...

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Here's Bella potting up some herbs last weekend...

{{gwi:167211}}

{{gwi:167212}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

{{gwi:167213}}

The Green Mountains glow as a rose-colored sunset descends on a far corner of Vermont known as the Northeast Kingdom. This region, known simply as "the Kingdom" by Vermonters, is famous for its maple syrup, covered bridges, ski slopes, and the riot of fall colors that blankets its woodlands each September.

(Photo shot on assignment for, but not published in, "Vermont: Suite of Seasons," September 1998, National Geographic magazine)

:-)

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

So much to read today! Deanne, that daylily is stunning! Saucy, your pots look wonderful also. And Eden!!! Bella looks so very grown up in those photos. She's quite the doll and she looks like she is really enjoying gardening.

Brenda, I've been doing monovision for several years and have had goo results with it. Last year I thought I was going to have to give in to bifocals, but they came out with a new soft lens for astigmatism that really improved my vision overall. Hope it works for you!

Last year at IU4, I saw a brick path at a private garden that really caught my eye. Here's the original:

{{gwi:167214}}

Right after we left there, I got a call from my DH who was helping his mother clean out her garage. Would I be interested in a pile of leftover bricks? SCORE! Of course I would be.

I often have to let an idea "ferment" for a while. I had one plan for the bricks but wasn't quite convinced that was what I wanted to do. Last month, I realized I wanted the path to take a slightly different course. So tonight I started laying out the path. Now this is just laid on the existing grass; it's not been leveled in any way so it's rather lumpy-bumpy. But the vision is starting to coalesce:

{{gwi:167215}}

The stone in the center has oak leaf impressions on it. I had to quit gathering the field stone for the outer circle because the mozzies were hanging out at the stone pile.

I leave in two days!

V.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Forgot to include this close up. I think that absolutely everyone should have Stachys 'Densiflorus' in their garden, especially when it cavorts with Echinacea 'Pink Double Delight'.

{{gwi:167216}}

Deanne, last week I said that I got Echinacea 'Key Lime Pie'. Must be the diet gone to my brain - it's supposed to be E. 'Coconut Lime'.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Packing is in full swing this evening, but must break to Idyll and catch a couple of innings of the Allstar game.

Saucy, hooray for you and your new camera ! I confess that I bought myself a second camera, a Nikon Coolpix , re-conditioned. It will no doubt be waiting for me when I return from IU. In the meantime, I will bring my Canon with numerous extra batteries and memory cards ! Your D60 is way fancier than either of mine..Love how your container display is coming along

Deanne, that is just a plain ol Agave Parryi , one of my faves. I think it only get a couple of feet in diameter if grown in the ground. That Joylene Nicole is spectacular !

PM, a little wine country insight re the beautiful pic you posted of the central coast wine country this morning.That pic was taken in winter-probably Jan or Feb, as the vines are not leafed out and the rows are planted in cover crops. The yellow is mustard and the green could be red clover of maybe even fava beans. Our hillsides here are only green like that in winter.

Leslie, My mower is not difficult at all to push, but my lawn does not grow very lush either-I would certainly spent the extra$$ to get a good one though , and you can usually get blades sharpened at a mower shop. Mine is a Great States . My only regret is that I did not get one that had an easy height adjustment procedure for the blades. LOL your Flylady Fling Boogie. It does conjur up quite a vision !

Photos: I have an external hard drive where DS and I store all our photos. I am going to spend some time backing them up on CDs later his summer.

Ok, I really have to get going on the rest of my packingHi to Eden, Cindy, Michelle and Brendaa wave to those absent

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Ok, I should not be here ! I should be packing...but V. posted that Stachys densiflorus..very nice !I remember that path, and then seeing a pic of it in FG.

And I was out watering and saw that my 'Aprila' lily has opened. I had to hold the camera above my head to get this pic; the plant is as tall as me , and the color is not quite right, but I had to post it for y'all...

{{gwi:167217}}

{{gwi:167218}}

later...

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Woohoo! Jerri has arrived safely although her luggage didn't. We were assured that her suitcase will arrive sometime tonight. Jeesh, would have been nice had it arrived with her. I guess its too much to ask to have your suitcase arrive with you now. I'm surprised that they didn't charge us for delivering it.

Anyway, we are currently sipping a lovely chilled glass of Pinot Grigio and toasting to the start of IU5.

Have a great evening all
    Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Wouldn't it be fun for Bella the gardener to come garden with Kenzie the gardener in the Secret Garden? Bella really looks like she knows what she's doing.

Brenda, congrats to your DD. Funny but I wasn't a bit excited to become a grandma, I think it made me feel old, but Kenzie changed all that.

I have an external hard drive that I back up all my pictures on. I made sure to get a big one.

V, the path is looking good. I wasn't even at IU last year but everyone posted enough pictures of it that I did something similar in Kenzie's garden. I didn't have enough bricks and so I lined the path with bricks and have stone in the middle.

Waaaa - I want to have breakfast on Deanne's patio and go to IU.

Kathy, be sure to wave as you fly over Iowa ;o)

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

c'mon Michelle, tell DH you have some errands to run and you'll be back in a couple of days...hop a plane ! I'll pick you up on my way over !

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so excited I can't sleep....thoughts of what not to forget and all.

That and hunger pains....sheesh....I'm never a midnight fridge raider, but I'm feeling Rumbly in the Tumbly tonight....or this morning as it may be.

Jerri's made it to the East Coast, yippee! I hate it when the airlines lose your luggage. Happened to me in the Navy - they lost my suitcase which at the time contained all my worldly possessions. The Navy wouldn't let me check onto the base without my uniforms. I had to stay in a motel on the beach for a week :) I have very fond memories of that week :)

I can't find anyone to water my plants while I'm gone, so I moved them to the shadier areas and put them in buckets and such and soaked them good. I guess the only thing left to do is cross my fingers and toes.

Someone asked about my water garden....I think it was Michelle. Since the heron keeps eating all the sushi that I keep adding, I've been without fish for a while. As the water evaporates, I just add more, and sometimes I add it to "wash" the pollen off the water's surface. I don't see mosquito larva, but I think I would buy a BT dunk if I did.

I love the brick path, V. I've got big plans for some granite slabs that came with this house. I can't wait to see what inspires us this year!

Bella and Kenzie would have a blast running in and out of the butterfly gate :)

I'm starting to feel like I could get to sleep now. Wish me luck :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

It has begun! I hope we get lots of updates...but I'll do my best to keep things rolling if the IU5-ers are too busy to post.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Bella photos! I wonder if I can get Skyler near a plant? Yesterday we had fun choosing books for us to read at bedtime when he comes.

V, that is one impressive Stachys 'Densiflorus'! Wonder if I'll see it anywhere to bring home... The double echinaceas don't speak to me for some reason, but the yellows and oranges and now the whites DO.

The forecast is full of thunderstorm talk. Maybe this causes dizziness?

University friends have lost one of their daughters, age 32, to breast cancer. I can't imagine the grief. I must contemplate my response to her parents.

Time to begin my Wednesday!

• deanneart
    15 years ago

{{gwi:167219}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

OK, so where are the pictures of Jerri savoring coffee on Deanne's patio in her jammies? Oh, that's right, she's got no jammies, or maybe by now she does...lol. Jeez, no luggage, no suprises there. Commercial airlines these days...pft, pft, pft, phooey.

Good morning!

Sue

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Best wishes for a special day Michelle!

{{gwi:167220}}

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Michelle!!!
    {{gwi:167221}}

(birthday cards are more fun now!)

• lesliedon
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness, the sights this morning amongst the Idyllers are fantastic!

Theres no picture of Jerri enjoying her morning coffee on the patio because everyone is scrambling to find the smelling salts to revive her after her first glimpse of Deannes garden in the morning light (I should be so lucky!) : )

Brenda - Big congrats on the engagement! Now the real fun begins : )

PM2 - Refreshing the flashlight batteries for future adventure of a sleepless night: )

Eden - would love to see before and after pictures of your refreshed garden area! I need some inspiration!
    Bella is too adorable! Kids can be a great help in the garden. I had one of the grandkids roll rocks to a new bed I was making one year - he still remembers it and thinks of it as his garden - he was only 4.

V. - That Stachys 'Densiflorus' is wonderful, I dont think Ive ever seen it before. So many plants not available at our local garden shop. I think your brick path is going to be fantastic, cant wait to see the finished product!

Kathy - What is an "external" hard drive? Ive never heard of this (Im pretty computer illiterate). Do you just hook it to your computer and download you photos? That lily is really gorgeous, such saturated color!

GB - You have some of the prettiest plant combinations, that photo of the clematis and lupine is just wonderful.

Michelle - Double Waaaaah, I want to be there too!
    {{gwi:167222}}

A few pretty pictures from the garden:

I love this white caladium with the white impatience. There is also a Euphorbia, Diamond Frost in there but it's
    kind of been elbowed out.

{{gwi:167223}}

A pretty Phlox:
    {{gwi:167224}}

And a little beggar named Juri:

{{gwi:167225}}

Have a great day!

Leslie

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday, Michelle!

{{gwi:167226}}

Cindy

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Hello from NH! I can't believe I'm here in person. For those who haven't been to Deanne's garden, all I can say is OMG! And to top it off I have clothes now. LOL

We have a wonderful day planned. Heading to the coast and then to a rose garden Deanne knows about. I can't wait to meet the rest of you. :)

Jerri

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Happy birthday, Michelle!

{{gwi:167228}}

bon voyage, travellin' idyllers.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Happy birthday Michelle. Hope you have a great one!

{{gwi:167230}}

Eden

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

{{gwi:167232}}

• chelone
    15 years ago

I received a "dispensation" permitting me to flee the shop at 11:30 this morning. July is a busy month for us; involving "cleaning up" June details and tackling the newest round of "emergencies" that invariably crop up when the shake down cruise takes place. July is the vacation month for those who want to "cruise". Everyone has an "emergency" (usually something that could have been addressed last fall and those who whine are reminded of that quickly). And the crises are nearly always "blow boaters" (sailboats) because they are about as "cheap" as they come. I hightailed it out of the shop BEFORE the guy with the blown seam on his mainsail came in!!! (The mainsail for a 34' boat is really BIG, you guys and I'm the slob who gets to deal with the repairs). But not today.

I have done no reading for over a week, but saw a reference to Bella and where there's Bella there's Eden. Good that you've posted, I've missed you and thought of you often.

As for the "restayas", accept my good wishes (birthdays 'n' all) and I'll try to be a better correspondent very soon.

The Salon is a bit of a sore subject. Ditto the deck surface. The Compound looks like hell and I don't really care because I have windowboxes with boring, idiot-proof plants in them. FINALLY. Anyone want to lay odds as to whether or not the trellises will be put up when I get home?

"A fool and his money are soon parted." :)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

{{gwi:167234}}

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Well, it looks like it could rain..can't decide if I should lower the umbrellas and bring in the chair cushions? It was hot here today, not too humid though so not too bad. Bella spent most of the day playing in the water in her pool. Her favorite thing right now is Cats. She ran across my T.S. Elliot book which I read to her and then I played the music cd for her and then the dvd of the show and she now she wants to read and see it every day. I'm tiring of it but she's not. I've been trying to teach her to write her name but she's having a bit of trouble with the S in Isabella. Not much accomplished here today, dishes, a little laundry and some pot watering.

Hope Deanne and Jerri are having a ball. I know they are.

Chelone, glad you have those windowboxes planted. The rest will get done in time. You'll have it looking good for next year which will be here before we know it.

Denise, love the teapot topiaries in your card to Michelle.

Leslie, the after doesn't look that great at the moment. Wilted plants, BUT they're all just where I want them now and should look so much better once they perk up. Maybe some pictures then?

V, your version of the brick path is very cool! Love it!

Marie, how long will Skyler be visiting? Nice that you have books ready and waiting for him. Hope you're feeling much better.

Michelle, it would be great if Bella and Kenzie could meet one day wouldn't it? Or if they could be internet penpals when they got older. Kind of like passing on the Idyll torch to another generation. Hope your bd was a good one!

Hi Cindy, wish I could grow lots of poppies. I have just one. They don't seem to like my clay soil. Yours is a beauty!

It's getting windier and darker out so I suppose I should take care of things in case of a storm. We could use a good rain. Have a good evening everybody.

Eden

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday, Michelle!

{{gwi:167236}}
    V.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

I'll sneak in a last post before I go into full panic mode.

Thanks for all the nice comments on the path in progress. I emailed the two photos to DH since he is out of town and won't be home before I leave. While I was at the farm store to buy screening for the path, DH called and told me it looked great. I was slightly shocked as the usual response is more like Mary's DH and the bathroom renovation response. But I am encouraged that he was pleased.

Too much to do at work and not enough time to do it. I can't wait to be sitting on the plane tomorrow! Looking forward to seeing everyone and missing those who will not be there.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Michelle !!

{{gwi:167237}}

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Quickly:
    Eden, for names with "s" in them, here's the trick. Write the letter "c" first, then the reverse tail below that. Seems to work well!

Skyler will be here for about a week, then we take him back home for a few days. He's off to Disneyland with a friend but we get to play with Reed and his parents! Yay! Then it is back here and friend Lynn's daughter's wedding, then off to Woody's to get Phoebe again. Busy busy....

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Well what a fabu-fabu day weve had! Doug and I finished getting the fountain in its permanent location and everything works. Now we just need a finial for it and it will be done. Woohoo! Jerri was here to share in starting up the pump for the first time. What fun.

After the fountain start up (and watering the pots of course) we mounted the Suburban and headed over to the coast for some lunch, and a fabulous lunch it was! A lovely, delectable lobster stew served in a crusty, warm French bread boule. Then we almost declined dessert until the waitress suggested fresh strawberry shortcake served with ice cream along with a generous dollop of whipped cream. Yum! After lunch we drove down the coast a few miles to the Fuller Rose Gardens in North Hampton, NH. OMG! Ive not been there for years and the place was amazing. They have 1,700 rose bushes and not a pick of black spot on a one. Nor did we see but two or three bug holes and one Japanese Beetle in the whole garden. Everything was PRISTINE! It made my gardens look messy by comparison. The growth on the shrubs was amazing. I want to know what they use to treat for insects and disease as well as what on earth do they feed them! Seriously wonderful. Ill have to post a link to the gallery that is currently uploading as soon as its done. Anyone in this neck of the woods really needs to get over there and see the gardens.

OK Im going to sign off for now and be back later when the photos are ready.

Nite all,
    Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Thanks for the lovely birthday cards. I will save them all in a folder. Unfortunately I'm sick today. Not horribly sick, but upset stomach and achy. I did work for part of the day and then bailed out. I had some nice phone calls from the kids and my mom and a super sweet message on the answering machine with Kenzie singing "Happy Birthday" and then a wail at the end that "Gramma didn't hear me" LOL

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I've printed my boarding passes ! How about you V. ??

• anitamo
    15 years ago

Have a great time at the Idyll's Reunion everyone. Can't wait to see the great pictures and tales of times well spent.

Hope Martie is doing well.

Brenda...I LOL regarding the mulch story. I'm still waiting for mine, too. Congrats to your daughter on her engagement. Exciting times ahead for all of you.

Love seeing Bella...she's so adorable. She looks right at home with that pot in front of her. A budding gardener...
    I like Michelle's thoughts on Bella and Kendzi being the future Idyllers.

Glad jerri arrived safely at deanne's and I just know she's going to be in a state of awe for the next couple of days. What a treat! Love the daylily...so crisp and clean. A beauty for sure.

Been busy working, keeping up with watering, housebreaking the puppy, babysitting for DGC (my DS is in Finland for work) and keeping cool. We are in a humid heat wave for the next few days. Sticky.

Hi to all.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELE!!!
    {{gwi:167239}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning....

Short post today....sorry to say I continue not to feel well. I made a real effort to go out on Sunday and by Tuesday, I was starting up with a revival of symptoms I hadn't had for awhile. Who is it who started that saying 'Le sigh...' Gardenbug would be my guess? :-) Anyway, I finally slept 6 hrs last night with only one brief interruption and after back and forth calls to doctors yesterday, I seem to have settled on a strategy that is showing improvement today but still feel wiped out. We had made a reservation for IU5, and waited until today to decide that trip is not going to be possible. DH and I are both disappointed. :-( It would have been great to get to meet everyone. So, I guess I will be here over the weekend with all of you who are equally disappointed not to be able to go. Looking forward to LOTS of photos!! I am sure it will be a blast!

Eden those pics of Bella are precious...what a lovely garden scene amidst the pots and she has on a lovely 'green' top.

Thinking of Martie today! I am sure she is not reading the Idylls this morning....but hope we will hear good news later today.

Happy Birthday wishes to Michelle!

Thanks for that info on that Wine Country photo Kathy...really interesting. Gorgeous lilies, add those to the list! [g]

Have more to say, but out of energy...so have a great day everyone!

pm2

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Another beautiful day here and it looks like we'll have a great day for driving to NY. I wanted to finish up this thread so I could put Jerri's BDay card on a new Idyll.

TTYL
    Deanne

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

My boarding pass is printed, the bag is packed, last minute pleas for watering have been made. I'll head to work soon and leave for the airport from there.

Sorry to hear that Michelle and pm are under the weather. And I hope Martie is doing well.

TTFN!

V.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling