Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idyll #505 Tea in the Garden

Posted by gardeningmary (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 1, 11 at 11:03

Hi everyone

I'm thrilled there will still be an IU8 this year and can't wait to catch up in person with all the chat I've missed here on the Idylls;0)

My latest project is coming up very soon, in fact a week from Saturday. Knowing I'd be working hard on my gardens this year anticipating IU8 I allowed myself to be talked into being on our town's garden tour. Thinking about how the Brits do this I volunteered to serve tea as a fund raiser for the Civic Garden Center. So in 9 days time I will be baking, making cucumber sandwhiches and brewing tea for 300 visitors - YIKES!!

Actually everything is under control and it's the sort of crazy project I love doing just once. Tickets are being sold for each hour and I've been able to borrow tables, bone china and silver serving platters. It's going to be very proper:0) I will be making little cucumber sandwiches, Scottish Shortbread, English Flapjacks (an oat cookie), lemon drizzle cake and mini Fairy Cakes (the English form of cupcakes). I have next week planned out for batch baking and have volunteers booked to serve and wash up. I can already anticipate how welcome that evening glass of wine will be after the last table is cleared.

My biggest concern is heavy rain and as a back up I have almost emptied our garage and have borrowed oriental rugs and drapes ready to dress it as a tea room. I can't decide if it will be cute or kitchy but it has certainly given me an incentive to scrub the place up. Keep your fingers crossed for sun!

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll #505 Tea in the Garden

Oh Mary! What a wonderful idea! (But a killer amount of work... :-) Take lots and lots of pictures to post!

o

Mary, after your garden tour, the idylls will be a piece of cake. I love your menu, can't wait to see the pictures.

Today the girls are coming over with their kids, we're going to the beach and having pizza. Brandon has been on vacation this week, today he and Mary Kate have been married for 5 years. After they put the boys to bed at 8, I'm going over to stay while the big kids go for an ice cream cone to celebrate.

Hope you all have a great 4 of July weekend. It's going to be sort of quiet here, with Skip out of town. No noise making in the back yard by boys.

Drema

o

Happy Canada Day to all of you up there!

o

Canada Day means DH is home and I must prepare 3 meals. I got him to BBQ this evening and we had a cold rice salad that I made earlier in the day. Also, it seems that DS is eating once more. Hurray!

I would like very much to come for tea Mary (!) but must tidy up these gardens first. I've not even finished the first go-around for 2011. How pathetic that is! Tonight I weeded the area behind the garage (YEAH!)which means that clematis Little Nell is liberated at last. Tomorrow I must tackle another spot before it gets too warm out. I still have tulips to cut back...and more plants to get in the ground.

One project in the back of my mind is the propane tank area I am having the tree man remove the dying cedars there, a spot where rabbits and groundhogs have dug a huge hole/nest. I'm trying to think how this spot will be planted. Here it is today:

And here are a couple of happy Canadians!

Ciao!
'bug

o

Happy Canada Day ! And a hearty TGIF, even though I only worked 2 days this week. Kind of nice to ease back into things after a vacation. And vacation number 2 looms on the horizon.

Mary your garden party sounds splendid ! Think what great practice it will be for your VIP visitors at the end of the month . My DS loves shortbread and he�s made it two Christmases in a row . It looked kind of funky , but tasted great . Any incentive to clean the garage sounds good to me. Mine continues to taunt me every time I pull my car in. Must address it this fall without fail.

�bug, I love potential new areas , and am really partial to island type beds. So you will still need to screen the propane tank I take it ?

OK, Going to post a separate thread with some of my pics from GC Open Days in Bainbridge Island.

Later friends..

Kathy in Napa

o

I didn't get my afternoon off but at least when I left the new hard drive was installed and the data was all restored and the accounting person was able to run payroll. Some of the employees were getting pretty nervous. It was ok because when I left work it was 96 degrees so the a/c in the office was probably a better place than the garden this afternoon.

This year has been the worst ever for deer damage in my garden. I've been running around with a couple of different kinds of repellent all the time. They have already eaten the buds off some of the oriental lilies. Of course the asiatics which I have much large clumps of they don't touch. They have also taken a liking to the rosebuds. Arrrgh!

'bug, a few years ago our 2 big propane tanks left my garden area and were moved to the working area of the farm and pipe laid to bring it to the house. Love those little toes in the picture.

Mary, your tea sounds just lovely. I think we should all send some energy your way.

The skeeters were so bad tonight! We took a 4-wheeler ride to enjoy the evening and they can't get you when you are moving. I did find some wildflowers along the way.

Have a good night
Michelle

o

This is the new fence. Picture it with nice finials on the top of the posts and clematis growing on it. They are there just not visible in the picture. The window needs the trim painted. This is the one that was covered by a basketball hoop. Quite an improvement and more light in the garden shed too.
Photobucket

o

Michelle! Great success with your projects. I love seeing the progress with the new window and fence. I hope I can show an "after" photo of our propane tank area before snowfall! Yes Kathy, the tank will remain there and need hiding in summer. Snow will hide it in winter.

The mosquitoes were horrendous this morning when I went to take photos for Woody. Oyyy!

The arbor:

Clematis Iubileinyi'70

Clematis Blekitny Aniol

Clematis Juuli

Clematis Madame Julia Correvon

The Yellow & Blue Garden

o

gb - I love that arbour! The clematis and the gray wood go so well together. Those are the kind of clematis photos I like - they give a better sense of the color and how the clematis grows... I think I need to find a place for Madame Julia Correvon in the red section of the swag!

Michelle - what a perfect fence for vines! I covet that shed :-)

o

What a fierce thunderstorm last night! I don't dare look at the delphiniums and other plants out there in the garden. There's a huge squashed geranium outside my window and I don't want to look any farther...

The skies are clearer today and it is sunny. Not sure what the day has to offer.

o

We had a t-storm overnight here too - BUT it was all sound and fury signifying nothing! We only got 1 mm. of rain :-(

o

o

A Very Happy Birthday to you Julie!

Felicia

o

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

Happy Birthday, Julie!

From Drop Box

o

Happy Birthday Julie !!!

From Berkley Botanic Garden Jan 2011

o

Ooo�eee we are having a nasty heat wave, temps up to a c-note are predicted for the next few days, cool down coming on Thursday..a few days away ! Annies Annuals is having a 20% off sale through the 10th, and I think I will go next weekend- wanted to go today but with the heat I can�t plant anything , so it will be prudent to wait. I will carefully make a list and probably end up buying twice as much..

Michelle, you are steeped in coolness, those hog panel fences are all the rage out here, for those that have the property to pull it off without compromising privacy. Can�t wait to see what you do with it. Have you posted pics of your pillars lately ?

OK, I need to have dinner and DS and I are watching a play on the boob tube tonight. Waves, and see y�all tomorrow.

Kathy in Napa

o

• Posted by jak1 4 Ontario Can (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 22:14

Thank you for the beautiful birthday wishes everybody! Awesome weekend-loving family, super weather, lots offun and nice gifts to boot. Well,not to boot, but you know what I mean *LOL*

o

We had bought different kind of fencing first but then I was a lady's garden where she used cattle panels and decided I liked it better and thought they would not sag like the first stuff we bought. Plus we have lots around here that didn't cost anything. Here's what she did with them. She runs a nursery on her farm and the deer are a problem.

Photobucket

The chandlier finally made it up in the potting shed:

We are going to work more on the fence project today. It looks like another beautiful day as Sat. & Sun. were.

Happy 4th everyone!

Michelle

o

Michelle - that lady's pergolas will be a fabulous place to grow vines. You'll have to post more pictures of it as it develops... I showed Randy the chandelier picture and said 'maybe we need one of those' - he laughed! (There isn't room in our shed for something like that. You are so lucky to have that shed!)

Hot and humid here. Too hot to work outside. I did walk around the garden earlier and there's some more pretty clematises blooming on the swag. I'll have to try to get some pictures later when there's a bit of shade to cut the glare.

The upholstery place picked up the loveseat and my office chair this morning. In 10-14 days they should be back, recovered in a nice blue. We've been in this house 12 years and many things are in need of 'refreshing', inclduing furniture that's 20+ years old. The living room sectional sofa needs doing next- maybe this fall or winter.

We were sitting on the front porch while waiting for the upholstry people to arrive. Misty loves sitting out there because her buddies often stop in when they see us. Rambo (Shih Tzu) and his 'mother' stopped by first. His 'mother' was complaining about him not letting her cut the knots out of his tail so I used the clippers to take them out for her. Then Dawn (Malamute) and her 'daddy' stopped in for cookies and a cuddle. While they were here Charlie (miniature poodle) and his 'brother' stopped in to socialize with both Misty and Dawn and then Dawn and Charlie and their humans went off to finish their walkies. We know all the dogs in the neighbourhood! :-) We met a new one last weekend - a 4 month old Coton de Tulear. I'd never seen one before. We thought it was a Maltese at first. 'Twas very cute!

o

Just a quick post here with some more pictures from the swag today...

Randy was contemplating taking a few pictures when I took this one:
I'm not sure if the red one on the gate is Rosemoor or Rouge Cardinal. Both of them are planted there.

Most of the action is happening on the house side, particularly in the first stretch closest to the arbour/gate. I think the dark red smallish one is Black Prince - it should be according to my records - but that's no guarantee of anything!

This pale blue one started blooming and I'm not sure what it is (gb - see my post on GB...) I like it with the Brodiaea Laxa ('Queen Fabiola' I think...) and will have to remember to order more of those bulbs for next spring.

This is the view of the top of the arbour from the pantry window. There are only a couple of flowers at the moment but quite a few buds. Once more things make it up to the top, the view from the window should be quite nice I think.

o

Coming along splendidly Woody !I have two Clematis that I really need to rescue from the rug of Sweet Woodruff that they are struggling through. I peeled some of it back this spring , but i really need to get in there with a shovel and try to dig most of it out this fall.

Michelle what a nice enclosure with the pergola and all. I assume there will be a gate eventually ?
Here is a photo of the awfice garden center fence, newly built this winter, used to be chain link ! Much nicer.

From office

Off to move the hose (again)

Kathy in Napa

o

Michelle, both photos are fantastic! So glad you can make time for projects now.

Woody, I'd say that is Black Prince! The pale blue one could be a number of things: Prince Charles, Emilia Plater, Jolly Good. See my comments over at GB.

Very hot here, but lots of weeding took place. Amazing to see space between plants! No end to it though. Company tomorrow I think...and a much needed haircut.
'bug

PS: Clematis Mrs Harvey opened today.

o

This should be called the clematis thread I think - wonderful to see all the luscious vines in bloom. Gardenbug, your gardens are looking very lush.

Hope everyone had a great Fourth of July, and glad to hear you had a great birthday, Julie - I'll try to post a belated card if I can today. I started to post here last nite but Stella had had it with the noise of the fireworks, and my sitting at the computer and strongly indicated she wanted to go to bed, LOL - usually that entails her climbing into my lap and staring me down... if you try to set her aside, she just comes back - just like a toddler - I know more beatings are required...

Woody, we had mostly ghost t-storms too here -- I was crossing my fingers we'd get some real rain but it moved everywhere but around my area - it's been stinking hot -- in the 90s for days now (maybe a low high of 90 a time) but so hot and humid - I may be lugging hoses tonite.

I actually spent yesterday decluttering and reassembling the house as it had gotten too much, even for my slob style -- and when one can find no clean underwear, well, you just know laundry is a must, right? So there is some satisfaction to the house being set to rights, altho the garden didnt get much attention.

I think we can start the official countdown to IU now -- it's right around the corner!

I'm hoping today at the awfice will be quiet and leisurely.

-Cindy

o

My - it is too quiet here... looks like old idyll threads got spammed....

It's still the Washington HHH here... the last of my daylilies are working hard (I wish I had more late late bloomers -it's hard to think that here it is the beginning of July and they're almost gone over now - how can that be?).... The echinaceas and phlox are starting to kick in...

here's a couple from out the door this morning I grabbed with the phone camera -- blowsy wild and chaotic, no matter how I try to tame and re-group, there's nothing immaculate about this place, LOL:

The latest lilies have been blooming too:

I need to get more foliage differentiation going - somehow that is always one of my biggest challenges....

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer gardens, whether hot or cool....

--Cindy

o

Yoo-hoo Idylls ?

Maybe your week is as mudane as mine to this point.! No exciting plant purchases or mulching activities. I skimmed though the old threads that our spammer bumped up-bittersweet they were with lengthy posts from the missing ! It was ironic to see the interest in a PNW IU, lots of talk about that this year too.

Our heat wave is gone, thankfully , and should have a mild weekend. I still have a few things to plant , and maybe I will go to Annies 20% off sale, this is the last weekend . And Deannes Garden Conservancy open day is this weekend too, hope all goes well for that. Looks like the weather there will be mid 80's , which I guess is acceptable out that way-it would be here -though we don't have the humidity factor .

Cindy do you have Moonlit Madness ? I get scapes on that all season , one of my least frustrating daylilies. I think Martie had it too. Recognition that you might need more 'foliage differentiation' should be the first step to success ! I feel like I have a 'vision' for my garden right now, and I'm trying to plant only things that will contribute, and trying to avoid impulse purchases that don't 'fit in' . Sometimes this works ! The big epiphany for me was to get more of the plants that contribute. I have a real issue with the onesy-onesy syndrome. Have made progress this year in putting that behind me . I always love to see the lushness of your garden, something we don't have here in summer. Always trade-offs I guess !

Check -in Chelone, dammit !

Ok friends .see y'all later.

Kathy in Napa

o

Yes, like Kathy my week is somewhat mundane. I�ve been trying to stay ahead of the weeds. We have been working on the fence on the backside of my potting area. I spent some time priming the wood fence tonight. The weather has been hot and with the rain we have been having the mosquitoes are abundant.

Cindy, I always see your garden as being romantic. Things are far from tame here either. That way the weeds aren't so visible.

There certainly are lots of lovely clematis on this thread. They are really getting going here other than Arabella which has been blooming for quite awhile.

Woody, you are really getting a nice collection.

Kathy, the garden center fence is quite nice.

A few shots from the garden this evening. Kathy, I will have to try for one of the pillar pots. It was just too sunny this evening. The leaf was my attempt at a Little & Lewis style leaf. I think it turned out rather gaudy. The second picture is Arabella scrambling through Endless Summer.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

My visitor has left after a 3 day visit. We did the shopping thing together, which I guess is good for me, since I seldom do it on my own. We started with clothes and ended up with "plant slutting." Several of her friends joined us at different points. One, a photographer, took some shots at the farm, so maybe I'll see some of those in the future. She is presenting a photo class to gardeners this weekend. On our travels here and there I picked up a 6 foot tall obelisk, something I am always searching for.

Somehow my friend and I ended up going to a movie together. I think it wins the prize for the worst one ever made...Bridesmaids. If anyone enjoyed it, my apologies. On second thought, no, no apologies. It was awful.

The clematis are really doing their thing. This is the year for them that we all hope for! If only the weeds would vanish with the flick of a switch! My lilies are beginning to open too. So far only apricot coloured ones.

I am so eager for the cedars by the propane tank to be removed! Don't yet know when that will happen. Also our willow tree by the bridge is dangerous and needs its trimming urgently.

Ivy (2) has begun swimming lessons with her Daddy and is happy with that! Leo will have 1-2 operations for an undescended testicle in September. This concerns his father and grandfather more than Mom and Nana so far... Skyler is away for a week of camp this week so things are calm. I think it is great for him to be away from BOTH his parents at age 12!

DS is back for a bit from Haiti, returns later in July and August.

Time for some weeding before the heat comes!
'bug

Odoriba

o

Woody - your swags are filling in so nicely!

Michelle, I love your L&L leaf - it might be more lemon yellow than you wanted but it's an amazing creation - I'm so impressed. I love, love that arabella combo with the hydrangea - beautiful. Thanks for the compliment re a "romantic feel" to my garden -- it's funny how we all see our own creations differently.

I do have Moonlit Masq. hemerocallis from your photos, Kathy - I think this is the 3rd year for it but it's nowhere near that sort of show and I dont know that I have any daylilies that put up reblooming scapes after the first flush -- maybe it's the weather here, or where I have them placed. I don't like MM by itself I confess - I like it as I think you used it in contrast to its opposite colors - it may get SP'd this year - I've marked a bunch of daylilies for the heap since the colors are blah and contributing very little to the overall place they live.

I confess I have a really hard time SP'ing things -- that kalimeris I have thruout the garden because it is so light and airy and talk about no fuss, no muss-- it's an amazing plant for no maintenance, no deadheading, but it does eventually get sooo wide - almost a thug, but not quite. I should probably eliminate a bunch of it, which I say every year, and then it starts blooming and it gets another dispensation, LOL. When it's stinking hot out, one likes things you have to do nothing to!

The same cannot be said of hydrangeas -- boy I love love them, but they hate my region's heat over 85 degrees - and several havent even bloomed in a couple years - time to either SP or move I guess.

Nice to have a good friend like yours, Gardenbug, with whom you can go shopping - friends like that are hard to find -- and if they can do both clothes/mall and plant shopping -- woohoo, a true friend indeed! Love that Odoriba -- I thought I had that one, but what I took to be it, seems to produce much much smaller bells than yours I think - I'll have to look at it again. It is still blooming in what I'm calling "Bell Corner" because somehow all the clems seem to be of that shape, LOL.

I'v vowed to buy no plants until at least after IU, Kathy - much as I do have both the "itch" and some "required" plants on my list -- I am trying to be a bit less impulsive, altho that doesnt always work. It's been a tough week at work and I'd love to reward myself with some plant purchases (I only bought 3 last weekend, LOL); and I really need to move stuff around but no way in this High of Summer.

Okay, gotta sling that yoke back on (thinking of Chelone) and see who's starting to crack the whip the loudest.

I am sure Deanne's Garden tour weekend will be an immense success.

o and by the way, Laura -- Happy Birthday!

-Cindy

o

A mundane week here too. We haven't had any rain to speak of since June 24, and there's nothing in the forecast for the next week either :-( It's also been hot. I don't function well in heat. Fortunately it doesn't bother Randy much so he's been doing all the hose-dragging chores.

gb - can you post a picture of the foliage of Odoriba please? That's what's supposed to be growing in the small bed in the front with The Swan hydrangea. That's the bed where I put in a tripod for it to support it until the hydrangea gets bigger. The clematis puts out long stems with the leaves spaced at quite long intervals. The leaves are a bronzy-brown and they don't seem to be terribly inclined to grab onto the tripod although they do grab the perrenials in the bed. I don't see any sign of flowerbuds. Does this sound like your Odoriba?

We're really thrilled with how the swag is developing. The roses were nice on the swag but I think the clematises are much, much nicer - and no thorns! The clematises on the fence side are far behind the house side in growth - I suspect most of them will not flower until next year and some many need replacing. The camera batteries died this morning just as I was going to take some pictures!

Michelle - that's a great combination with the cast leaf and the potted plants!

Cindy - I concur with the 'romatic' description of your garden pictures. Your Rose of Sharon is blooming now?! They don't bloom here for another month or so.

o

Pretty pictures from everyone! I love the Arabella with the Endless Summer, Michelle, and I think your leaf turned out great.

Cindy, your garden is wonderful! I agree that it has a romantic look to it.

Kathy, that fence at the awfice does look terrific. Wish I had seen it earlier before we signed our contract because...

We have just decided to put up a black chain link fence between out property and the new neighbor's. Now I am trying to decide what to plant to hide it and hoping it will disappear into the landscape somewhat. The fence guy talked us into a six-foot fence rather than four or five feet to better contain the maurauding mongrels, but I am worried that may end up looking way too
'industrial salvage yard"! I do know the neighbors will hate it, but after the last several discussions with him, I am not too concerned about that. He took down the fence that marked the property line even though I asked him to wait until we could move our wooden fence back (ours is 18" inside the line on our side). Then, he planted some huge evergreens that will get even larger (white pines and several others)on our property even though he knew where his property ended (we had walked it and discussed possible fence choices). I sent an email saying that I wasn't sure if he noticed (ha), but his landscaper had planted on our property. The trees were moved back several feet the next day. Turns out, he seems to be a bit of a bully and will try to get away with whatever he can. I think he is a tad dismayed that he spent so much for the house only to find himself on a busy road and with a very small back yard. Oh well. Long way of saying, ideas for camouflage are welcome. The hill where the fence is will get morning sun and then dappled to shade the rest of the day. Thanks for letting me rant. If I could talk Chuck into it, I would move to the country in a minute!

Hope everyone has a marvelous weekend. We are enjoying the Tour de France and wishing we were there in person. I have a class all next week-ugh. Hope it is interesting and useful.

Off to do more cleaning out downstairs after I call the surveyor to see if he is ever actually going to show up-yes, our neighbor is forcing us to resurvey before we put up the fence.

Cynthia

o
Oh and...

Happy birthday Laura! I have just spent an hour trying to get my Picasa account to let me upload a picture for you. I am sorry, but I am sending you every good wish for today! Celebrate!!

Cynthia

o

A survey is a good idea before putting up a fence. When we moved here in 1999, there had never been a fence between this property and the neighbour to the north. (The houses were built in the early 1960s.) Since our Golden, Chelsea, had been a rescued dog and was unreliably friendly with strangers, we needed some sort of fencing to keep her on our property. The neighbours didn't want any fence so we agreed to just put up a temporary - rather tacky - plastic mesh thing. Several years later we decided to put up a proper fence - black chainlink to be consistent with the fences on the rest of the property. We had a survey done - and discovered that where both we and the neighbours thought the property line ran was not right! A few feet of my garden ended up on the neighbours' side! So, I'd highly recommend a survey before fencing.

I grow various vines on the north and south fences. The west fence is under the pines, behind the shed and behind the 'wet corner' so it doesn't have vines on it but is mostly screened by whatever plants etc. are in front of it. The fences are all 4' ones. I find the black fences are pretty invisible in 'real life', but show up a bit more in pictures than you'd expect them to. I think your brain is a lot better at editing them out of the scene than the camera is! The fences are most invisible where there are shrubs in frot of them.

o

Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 14:29

Hi Cynthia! We installed black chain link two summers ago as we had 1) a kiddie pool, which met the townships requirements without a fence the first year, but was not acceptable when the bylaws changed; 2) two rambunctous Boston Terriers who decided not to come any more when called, and 3) a horrible neighbour: all good reasons. I planted Virginia Creeper on the part that is not very visible from the yard but is from the street, and clematis and honeysuckle where we can see them. In two summers, the V.C. has pretty much covered the fence, and I keep it trimmed just like a hedge. It looks great and the fence is invisible. I have a variety of Daylilies in front so I can have some colour for part of the summer. I am very pleased with the results. I didn't even root the VC cuttings that I got from someone else - I just stuck them in the ground and they grew. I agree that the black chain link, if you must have that kind of fence, is a great choice. And yes, a survey is a good ideaif you don't have the original survey pegs any more. We are in a relatively new subdivision so the pegs are still there, and the town officials came over to check out the proposal, just to be sure. We really don't want issues down the road.

Have read all of the posts and admired the photos. TCS has been away for a few days with his favourite aunt but will be home within the hour. I have taken several garden photos and have figured out how to move them from camera to laptop. But TCS will surely take over the computer when he arrives, any minute, so further posting from me will have to wait!

Cheers all!

Julie

o

Woody, some Odoriba photos for you. Hope this helps:

o
Happy Birthday!

o

o

gb - the foliage on the thing that is supposed to be Odoriba doesn't look anything like that! Clearly I have some weird plant out there. Frankly, I'm not 100% sure it's a clematis! I'll try to take some pictures of it tomorrow....

o

Happy Birthday Eden !

From Ruth Bancroft Garden May 2009

o

gb - the pictures I took of my weird unknown clematis didn't turn out very well and the thing decided to turn green since the last time I looked at it! It's starting to look like some sort of groundcover type one I think. There is a xDurandi in the bed too - it used to grow into the white rose that we removed last year. So the two clematises are mixed up together. The xDurandi has the smoothish oval leaves and the unknown one's are vaguely maple-leaf-like.

You can see the long naked stretches of stem in this picture:

In this one you can see the leaves a bit better in the top left side:

There doesn't seem to be any flowers or buds yet. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm pretty sure I got this at Lost Horizons when we went there last spring.

The Chinese wisteria has started its summer bloom in the past couple of days.

The swag clematises continue to grow like mad out there. The view from the pantry window is nice these days:

o

Oh #%@&! I think I need to move to photobucket!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EDEN!

o

I can't tell much from these photos. Do you have a list of what your LH purchases were supposed to be? Maybe we could work from that. Who knows so far, maybe it is Boston Ivy! (joking!)

o

I don't have a list of what I bought - or thought I bought! But looking at my plant tag binder and my swag spreadsheet, I know I bought 'Willy' there and I think I bought a 'Guernsey Cream' because the one I had got from Gardenimport looked weak so I figured it would be best to have another one in case the first one didn't make it. I bought the 'Odoriba' because the picture looked interesting and you said it was good :-) I think that's all the clematises I bought there. I remember being a bit disappointed because they didn't have other things that were on my 'want' list. My Visa bill shows I spent $76.84 so I must have bought other things but can't remember what!
Whatever it was was bought this day:
I guess I'll just have to wait and see what it turns into....?!

o

Woody, could it be Mrs. Robt Brydon that doesnt climb, or a heracifolia type? The broader "maple" like leaves remind me of both those types.... does that strike any cords?

I need to get a photo myself of the non-odoriba; I'm wondering if it's Minuet -- it's the same pink/white coloring but definitely small bell like flowers that are not opening completely which 'bug's Odoriba seems to do. Aah, the mysteries of clematis.....

I broke down and had to go get cactus soil for some transplant pups.... that necessitated a visit to a good local nursery.... sigh - I came away with some things that jumped into the cart: penstemon red rocks (I have good luck w/ this one reblooming all summer and overwintering); agastache Globetrotter, euphorbia ascot rainbow, heuchera Snow angel (to replace the adored one that croaked in the spring), salvia purple rain, and a couple hens and chicks- I think I'm going to try to make a small carpet/border w/ them if I can... we'll see. O, and Deanne is to blame for the rex begonia that somehow cried to go home w/ me too... Gotta help the local merchants stay in biz, right?

It was a wonderful summer day with little humidity -- but lots of mosquitos -- egads, I sat on the patio a few hours ago and came in after 20 mins w/ both ankles looking like I'd been attacked by measles.

Fences... hmm... do they make good neighbors or keep out bad ones, LOL? I like the idea you had Julie re the VA creeper - but what does it look like in winter? I recall Monique and Les had some interesting ideas re a chain link that backed up to their property (I think or maybe it was theirs...) - she wrapped Xmas green garland thru it to disguise it - it was quite ingenious...

Here's hoping everyone is enjoying a gorgeous summer weekend -- and thinking of Deanne and crew who are likely sacked out on their patio reviving themselves with liquid refreshments and tales of the day - I know it had to have been an outstanding success.

Betting Mary's English Tea in a New York Garden was also a big hit -- photos please!!

-Cindy

o

Hello everyone, a little bird (named Kathy) gave me the heads up to check over here for birthday wishes. First I'd like to say thanks so much, what could be better than lilies, clematis and an agave thrown in for good measure. They're all beautiful! Second, sorry I've been MIA for so long. Time goes by and before you know it, it's been a LONG time. I just read through this thread and wondered why I'm not here every day sharing with you all. So much fun and interesting stuff going on here. I'll try to do better.

I've been having a nice summer, lots of time to garden and some time the the grandkids thrown in for good measure. Bella spent six days week before last and we jam packed it with fun. I did come down with something the last couple of days which put the brakes on a night we were going to spend camping in a tent in the back garden. We'll do it next time. I ended up sick for a couple of weeks, just started feeling myself a few days ago.

Mary's tea sound like such a fun thing to put together and wouldn't it be lots of fun to be a guest too? Mary if your reading and you get anyone to take photos for you, I know you'll be to busy, we'd really love to see!

A comment on fences...here they keep out the bad neighbors. I've never found the need for them when I've had good neighbors. I've got a lattice covered in Virgina Creeper and like Julie said I trim it like a hedge and it's easy to keep in check. Nice autumn color too, bare vines over winter though.

Michelle, I really like your new fence. Looks great and I can't wait to see what you grow on it.

Marie, the propane tank garden looks like it'll be a project that will greatly improve your view of that area. I'd be more than ready to get rid of what's there too. I know you'll make it look beautiful! Cute photo of Ivy and Leo. All of my grandkids, with the exception of Julie, have been spending lots of time swimming this summer too. They all love it. Jennifer said yesterday even though Kate's lips were blue she insisted she wasn't cold because she didn't want to get out of the pool. Bella's been up north swimming attheir cottage lake for the last week and Kate and Wally are up at my dad's swimming in Lake Huron this weekend.

Woody, you've become hooked on clematis I do believe! I loved reading all of your posts and questions on them and think yours are all looking great. I can only imagine how spectacular they'll be when they mature in the coming years. As always I just love Marie's clematis arbor! Thanks for getting her to show a photo of that.

I'm going to try putting some photos in my PT account so I can show you all some things in my gardens this year. As you'll see it looks more and more like a children's garden every year. Right now I'm working on collecting some things for a small Wizard of Oz themed garden, no photos of that yet though. Jennifer had a photographer come and take pictures of Kate and Wally in the garden last weekend and I'm anxious to see those. I'm going to put my photos on a separate thread if anyone's interested. See you over there and thanks again for the birthday wishes.

Eden

o

Saturday greetings to one and all…

What an improvement in the weather this weekend-the coastal fog was in this morning and moderated temps substantially. I hit the road at 8:30 this morning and drove down to Richmond to Annies Annuals 20% off sale..It was windy as he!! down there (very close proximity to San Francisco Bay) but I dressed for cool temps. The hardest part was trying to take pics while the wind was whipping around ! I always tell myself I’m only going to stay for an hour when I go down there , an impossible and ridiculous vow that I never keep. I was there for a little over 2 hours, lol. Such a huge selection of really cool plants and so hard to be restrained . When I went in April I bought 2 flats (everything is in 4inch pots) but today I managed to get away with 3 plants shy of one flat. I’m missing one though, I think I was carrying it around and set it down and then wandered off without it. It was an Agastache ‘Golden Jubilee” and I was going to dig up my crappy Caryopteris ‘Worster Gold” to free up a spot. Anyone else try “Worster Gold “ ? It can hold a candle to Summer Sorbet , that’s for sure. It seems to get a lot of burned up edges on the leaves , and very wimpy growth.

My gaudy Dahlia area is coming along ! I’m really happy with how that turned out this year; I’ll try to get a couple photos tomorrow.

Cindy, that is so funny that you bought A. ‘Globetrotter’ , I stood in front of that the longest time today, but couldn’t remember if I already had it , so I passed. I still don’t know if I have it-there is one Agastache that’s missing a tag , and it is growing very slowly having been eaten almost to the ground this spring by snails.

Ok, all for me tonight, but there are a couple of photos from Annies today..

Kathy in Napa

o

There's that angelica again... Sigh!

o

It was 86 degrees again today. It has been this hot all week. I did some more painting last night but needed to work in the garden a bit today. In the potager I reaped sugar snap peas, yellow squash, baby carrots and purple beans. I am once again on top of the weeds. I cut back a bunch of stuff like columbine, geraniums and the bleeding heart. I'm always amazed how much goes into the compost so early in the season.

My echinacia 'Hot Papaya' is blooming already. I think several others here bought this cultivar last year too. I'm suprised that it is blooming much earlier than the other echinacias. Although, I usually know what a plant will look like when I buy it, its always exciting to see it bloom in my garden. The coreopsis 'Creme Brule' was apparantly mislabeled as it is blooming pink.

I'm worn out so I'd best end this.

Michelle

o

I guess I didn't refresh before posting. Wow! Those pictures from Annie's are fabulous.

o

Happy Sunday everyone. Getting up at 5:30 yesterday with the grandpup jumping up on and then down from the bed seems to be affecting me more today than yesterday. The surveyor did come yesterday, but didn't finish due to a battery issue with some of his instruments. He said he would come back on Monday.

Had a bit of a confrontation with the neighbor (wife) this morning. I saw her walking the dog and went out to meet her since we haven't met or spoken since they moved in. Well, that was a mistake. Oh well. I just don't understand why people want to be nasty, especially to neighbors. Breathing in...breathing out. Need to move to the country with several acres and neighbors not so close.

I am thinking of planting some camellias, laurels, and azaleas along the fence at the back with some deciduous things in front. That should camouflage it pretty well. The neighbor's huge new pines will also provide backdrop, although she told me this morning that they will be putting up their own board-on-board because they won't want to look at our chainlink and don't want their dog to be able to see ours, nor will they put up with our dogs barking (which they very rarely do). Lovely woman.

Woody, I love the view from your pantry. I think I would put a chair in there and just sit and stare at it!

Eden, your pictures on the other thread are marvelous. So much fun.

Kathy, I can't see the pictures! Waaahh. I hate this computer. I will try the Mac when Chuck gets off it.

Michelle, I am jealous that your echinachea is just blooming. Mine is starting to look a little ragged, but the goldfinches are loving the seed heads! So much fun to watch.

All day, I have been saying I will accomplish something today. Guess I had better get busy. Cindy, you are right about the mosquitoes! I need to suit up nowadays when I go out into the yard-long sleeves, long pants, socks, yuck. I need to break down and get some bug spray. The gnats are awful, too. Oh well. Off to do battle.

Cynthia

o

Cyn - it sounds like you have wonderful neighbours ?! The pantry window is over the sink so I can't sit there although I do have a good view from the window when working at the counter beside it. And I feed Misty in the pantry so I've been checking the progress of the clematises from that view at least twice a day :-)

o

Well, I've decided to look at it this way: they have inspired me to get started redoing the back yard to create a tranquil spot like yours and everyone else's that does not allow views of the neighbors.

I also discovered a HUGE hole that Annabelle dug near the other (nice) neighbor's fence. Time for chicken wire and more dirt. When she digs, I think she arranges for someone to haul away the dirt for her (other than that which she brings into us on her chest, front paws, and head). I can never find enough to fill up the hole again! Our back yard has craters along every wall and fence thanks to her search and destroy missions. Dratted voles and chipmunks! Wonder if I could cover the whole back in chicken wire...Misty is much better behaved. Wanna trade?

I like having only occasional glimpses of beautiful spots such as yours, Woody. Makes them all the more cherished, I think.

o

What a pleasant weekend ! Always crap-shoot in July, but it was mild , and still t-shirt weather out now at almost 8pm. One of the differences I have noticed in the midwest and east coast versus here in Norcal is the very cool nighttime temps we have here. It seems like the swing between day and night is more pronounced here ?

I am happy with my garden this year ! there are a few areas that are troublesome, but the beds I worked on last year are pleasing me. I am going to have my bug-ridden birch tree removed this winter- it will free up a nice chunk of real estate .

I got all my reservations finalized for IU8-flights , hotels , etc. Lots of travel coming up for me in the next two months, business and pleasure .

Time for dinner ..picked today corn and tuna salad. A good summer meal..

Kathy in Napa

o

o

O, Yeona that is simply luscious -- wish you had more time to post photos and visit these days!

It's funny, Kathy - I have been searching for caryopteris Summer Sorbet and cannot find it - I stood in front of C. Gold "something or other" (I've forgotten already!) and decided I just needed to hold out for what I wanted.... I also really went looking for some late salvias but the nursery had nothing but S.g. Black and Blue which I've already got.... o well....

I will look forwrd to hearing other reports on the Echinacea Hot Papaya -- mine has had some real mutant blooms -- no petals or odd partial groupings -- but then perfectly good blooms - it's not been a bloom machine so far -- wow, E. Virgin has however - I planted it w/ the Hot Paypaya last year and it has grown into a wonderful heatlhy plant full of blooms.

Woody - I meant to comment - yes, my Rose of Sharon Blue Satin has been blooming for probably 3 weeks now; we are much ahead of you guys it seems. It could be the big hot spells we've been having -- another batch of those uglies this week -- likely to the triple digits tomorrow... more HHH weather.

Kathy, I'm glad to hear you're happy with your garden - it was lovely last year so I can't imagine how terrific it looks if you think it's better this year, LOL. I do know I'm a bit happier with a few areas I either re-worked this year or late last - I wish I'd had more time in the Spring to do some other areas but the long wet season we had definitely cramped my ideas.....

Looking now too for a good late blooming shrub not to get more than 6-8 feet high and likely less wide - I'm contemplating Lespedeza Gilbratar - it's to replace the 2nd buddleia that died this spring next to Hydrangea Annabelle and near the Albizia Summer Chocolate.. ideas anyone?

Cynthia - it is weird how life turns on a dime or a simple new neighbor - it changes our whole outlook and daily attitude doesnt it? I think you should think of it positively in the chance to address and landscape to give you privacy. Knock on wood, I've been lucky not to have dogs digging holes; I had good friends who had a Corgie that was a digger and got out many times under their fence; they had to go to great lengths with wire under the fence and other "safeguards." Your neighbors sound the types to be calling the police or county at any excuse -- what a nuisance people like that are!

--Cindy

o

Today is as Cindy predicts, HOT - HOT - HOT! I rushed off to the bank, picked up groceries for a cold dinner tonight, and now await Debbie & Sue this afternoon for a bit of house clean-up.

A young girl is weeding for me in the shade this morning. What a TREAT! She seems to know pretty much what she is doing too. I pointed her to a shady area so she wouldn't pass out...and gave her plenty of water to drink too. I hope she can return for a few more days so i can catch up around here!

I found the Persicaria I was looking for the other day. Only one left. P Black Field. I'm enjoying Persicaria 'golden arrow' as well.

I think this will be the day when I resort to using our air conditioner in the main room. So be thankful you are indoors with A/C if you are at the awfice.

'bug

Tie Dye

o

HOT-HOT-HOT here too. 'Cooler by the lake' has abandoned us yesterday and today. It is 31C with a humidex of 35C (89/96F). We're desperate for some rain and have all fingers and toes crossed that the thunderstorms will actually arrive here later this afternoon or evening instead of fading away before they reach us - that's what's been happening for the last few weeks :-( It's a good thing we had so muce rain in May but all that moisture has ben used up by now.

gb - I hope your youg girl survives the heat out there! Even in the shade in the backyard, it's just too hot and humid out there for me. Randy has just gone out to the backyard to water the trees that we planted this spring - he's hoping the principle that 'if you water, it will rain' applies today :-)

The shade from the ash and oak keeps the backyard looking nice and green longer than is the case in the sunny front garden. These pictures are from yesterday:

The 'Blushing Bride' hydrangea in front of the shed is looking quite nice this year. It will show some pink and green as the flowers develop more and age:

Looking at the shed from the back porch - I removed all the bigroot geraniums that edged the path along the pines. They kept spreading out and narrowing the path. I replaced them with the 'Ghost' ferns you can see along the edge. I hope the ferns survive this heat! The 'Jack Frost' down there has gotten enormous.

This picture is taken from the center path under the pines, looking back at the back porch:

If we don't get rain today, we'll need to do some major watering out front. There's no rain in the forecast for all the rest of this week:-(

o

No rain in the forecast for us anymore I'm sad to say. That means "move the hose" games instead of weeding.

The new girl does both indoor painting and gardening. She prefers painting because she can charge more...I said the more she works here, the more experience she'll have and the more I can pay her. I offered her $5 more/hour after seeing what she did today. I was pleased! She worked in shade by the creek and weeded about 50 feet worth of garden! It didn't have much there besides obvious plants: primulas, hostas and astilbes. What a difference! Other places will be harder as the number of kinds of plants increases. But she is good about asking which I appreciate. She worked for almost 5 hours.

Ghost fern is my favorite of all!

My carpenter friend is thinking of making a teeter totter for us! How I wish our grandchildren lived closer!

Off to prepare curried chicken salad and cantaloupe for tonight. No cooking for me!
'bug

o

Zilch in the rain department here again today :-( Serious hose-dragging required tomorrow...

o

We have an excess of rain here in Iowa. There is nearly 1 million acres of farm land under water. I-29 is closed. There isn't a lot of places to cross the Missouri River. We got 4" in the last 2 nights. We are ok here but the flooding is so sad for those along the river. We are about 1 hour away.

There was no breeze tonight and with the rain the mossies made it impossible to pull any weeds here. I made a nice little arrangement of pink and white lilies, pink babies breath and achellia The Pearl to put on my desk at work. It helps keep the time at the awfice more bearable.

Cindy, keep looking for that "Summer Sorbet" it's a great performer here even though in my zone it dies back to the ground. It's quick to regrow.

'bug, your "girl" seems to be quite the find. I doubt I could find someone around here to do weeding. Love that "Tie Dye" clematis.

Cyn, sorry to hear that the new neighbors aren't exactly neighborly.

Woody, your 'Blushing Bride' is looking great. I have a couple but they are smaller than that.

Michelle

o

Michelle, too much rain can be as bad as too little. Both are terrible!

I must be impossibly old. I remember when I could distinguish an 11 year old from a 12 year old. No more. That "girl" who helped me today spoke to me about her husband!

Oh, and I am hoping for blooms on a Caryopteris x clandonensis 'White Surprise' which i bought last summer. It is up and looking happy...so maybe in August there will be flowers.

'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 million people across Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia and South Sudan

o

Michelle - I sure wish you could send some of that rain here! I know there's a lot of concern with harvest levels and impact on food prices given the conditions being experienced in your area. Is crop insurance common down there - i.e. will farmers have some income protection if their crop is wiped out?

One of the things that seems to be characterizing the weather in the last couple of years is 'stalled weather systems' where a system seems to park itself somewhere and give the same sort of conditions for a long period. The 7.3" of rain we got in May was like that, as was our fairly snowless winter and now our dry, cloudless summer. It sounds like your experienceing the same sort of thing.

Time to go attach the hose to a different soaker....

o

Hiya friends, another pleasant evening here, and thinking of the heat that is bombarding so many of my GW folks.

Cindy, I hope you can scare up 'Summer Sorbet' at some point. It was certainly impervious to the weather here, though I know humidity is quite another matter. Thank you too, for the nice comment about my garden last summer. The improvements I made mostly involved digging things up and adding more plants of what I already had. Repeated elements ! What a difference it made ! What about Sambucus for your replacement shrub ? Or Philadephus ?

Michelle, as one who has been evacuated more than once due to flooding, I always feel badly for those who have to endure that particular disaster. Our county is about a year away from completion on a flood control project -the Napa River is tiny compared to others but it is tidal and development has wiped out the natural flood plain. The restoration of flood plains is the lynch-pin of the project.

Woody, I always enjoy seeing photos of your shed. What a nice job you've done on that area.

A pic from my garden taken last weekend. This is an area I have particularly enjoyed this year .

Sweet dreams !
Kathy in Napa

From Garden Summer 2011

o

Another 3/4" of rain last night. It's much cooler today, but is supposed to be extremely hot this weekend. The fireflies are thick this year and quite enjoyable as they twinkle through the garden.

Kathy, fabulous colors in your garden. I can see why you are enjoying this area.

A few things that are going on in my garden. On the far side of the container picture is a euphorbia 'Diamond Frost'
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Such gorgeous photos! The colors and textures are beautiful! I like repeated color throughout a garden...and the potager is once again looking perfect.

Much cooler here as well so far today. The tree man showed up last night so today will keep me busy hauling wood to the barn and taking cut down cedar shrubs to the fire pit. There is more tree work needed later on when the ground by the creek is dry.

I sat under a tree late yesterday with Phoebe and we watched the fields as the wind blew gently. A very fine time of year! The grain in motion is wonderful to look at.

These are reality shots, not things of beauty:
The willow during pruning

The propane tank area with downed cedars

I'll add Little Ms Ivy catching bubbles

o

Kathy - that area is wonderful - it looks just like one of the photos from Annie's Annuals and the jewel tones! You've done a terrific job....
And I must ask - which daylily is that? I've been drooling over them on the daylily forum trying to figure out some I'd like to get to replace the ones I'm tossing -- sheesh, those folks are serious over there tho, some of the new cultivars they are all growing have some serious investment involved.... I confess I can't see investing in something that much that I might end up tossing in 3 years when I hate it or it doesnt perform, LOL.... I really need to find some that are late late bloomers too -- so far the Cherry Cheeks seems to be about the latest for me.

Thanks for the shrub ideas -- I actually have 3 sambucus already (I love 'em); I think the philadelphus blooms earlier than I'd like; I could probably move a cotinus Grace I've got and let it grow larger; I've been cutting it back.... the fence area looks horrible this year since that was where the roofers apparently threw (and missed) along a large portion of the line and smashed things down...Maybe Buffalo will have some good nurseries for us to stop in -- or I should locate some along the route home.

And it's so interesting to me to see your photos next, Michelle - some of them are quite similar in the coloration -- you've got so many wonderful combos -- all that rain has helped... and wow, how many lilies again together (are you buying up the bulb store, LOL?) -- it's quite a treat to see so many clustered together to give a Wow -- I like the pink asiatics that you had in large groups too (I guess those are your throways, right?). I havent had any luck with that allium - it just died right off after about 2 years - I love it, but dont know why they went away. I've noticed that most of my alliums seem to do that.

There's Phoebe -- I've been wondering where she was lately, 'bug - as you havent mentioned her much. I must disagree re your photos too, 'bug -- they are indeed things of beauty -- that view is lovely, peaceful and serene -- I can just imagine sitting on the grass peering down that lane...and Ivy -- so cute -- it's wonderful to have those quiet joy moments captured on film for posterity...

Woody, the overviews of some of the other areas of your garden look green too and I love love your shed -- that hydrangea is gorgeous; I love 'em; just dont have enough places or shade for them, along with the high temps here they just drop. There's a woman around the corner near me who has only hydrangeas, hellebores and I think a couple acuba planted tall pine trees that edge her corner townhouse -- she lives out there w/ watering those poor things -- they were gorgeous a couple weeks ago, but today look like they're on a terminal shutdown....I dont know if she's planning to fill in with other shrubs, but right now their pitiful state is very noticeable, LOL (mine are mostly hidden behind large shrubs, which may be part of their problem - not enoguh light). They certainly do have any number of new cultivars out - I'd love to have some of the paniculatas; but too large I fear.

Okay - hump day at last... and some cooler weather supposedly on the horizon. I'm just crossing my fingers I dont have to water again tonite; I only did some emergency stuff last nite - which likely did nothing since we'll be in the 90s again.....

Cindy

o

Michelle - gorgeous pictures, especially those lilies and the potager!

The willow and the driveway are a perfect peaceful-looking combination gb.

Cindy - I wonder why you have trouble with the Allium
sphaerocephalon...? I love them - and they seem to love it here too. A bit too much perhaps because they've spread well beyond where they were initially planted! I like this picture Randy took while playing around with his new macro lens on his camera:

Sunny, dry and hot is all that is in the forcast for the foreseeable future :-( The hoses are getting a workout yesterdany and today!

o

These are what I call things of beauty!

Back to work....

o

Indeed gb!

o

o

I e-mailed Marian the other day to ask how she and Nolon were doing in the dreadful heat that I gather was/is happening down there. She replied today...

'We are doing as well as can be expected. Nolon has improved enough to get around better that he was. Yes, It has been very hot here, 102F yesterday.
Today it is cloudy and much cooler outside, but it was in the 80s indoors when we got up. I have fans going in the windows to bring in the cooler outside air. It is helping bring that temp. down a little. And I have other fans going that blow on us. We are comfortable. A 2 minute storm just passed over, with very loud thunder, and a nice downpour, that at least wetted the poor withered plants's leaves. I am watering special areas. We are under a burn ban.....'

'I do not function well in these hot days either, and only do what really needs done, and that does not include housework ! I feed us, and supply clean clothing, and that is about the limit to my indoor work. I don't think the heat bothers Nolon as much as it does me, either. But he still is not able to do much. He was told that he may start doing more the middle of this month, and it is nearing the middle. :-) He came out yesterday and helped carry in my groceries. That is the first time he has done that since his surgery the 2nd of May. His emphysema is harder on him than the heart surgery. He brought home an aparatus from the hospital, that he breathes into to measure his lung capacity. He is using it frequently, and getting the thing in it to go up farther. '

Yikes! I would not be able to cope with heat like that without air conditioning!

o

I call that Gardenbug's "bling", LOL.

I am always thankful to be spoiled with air conditioning - a wonderful modern invention.

-cindy

o

Fabu pics today ! Michelle , your garden never fails to inspire a 'wow' moment. And those lilies ! Is that Gaffity ? I dug mine up because the color was not quite right for the location. How heartless we gardeners can be , lol. And your pillar planting is to die for..I am ordering drumstick Allium from one of my catalogs. 100 for 14.50. I have had zero lock with Alliums, but Denise can grow this one in zone 10 so I think I may have some success. The price seems a bit low, which always raises the 'get what you pay for' red flags, but I'm going to order 200, 30 bucks is a drop in the bucket relative to what I've spent on plants this year.

'Bug , Cindy is right, she and I have small gardens and every photo of the farm just seems fabulous , bucolic, pastoral..even the downed Cedars ! What is the bottom pic you posted today ?

Woody, Marian is very active on FB , and very stoic about her AC situation ! Do you know she has acquired a dog ?

Cindy, thanks for your 'jewel tone' comment..that is exactly what I am going for ! Lol the daylily forum-they are directly responsible for the quantities of DL's I have here. They do not mess around do they ? I have had some real disappointments -the colors are so darn unstable. And, the snails are crazy for them-they are really high maintenance to keep looking decent. The plant in the pic I posted yesterday is Bela Lugosi ..don't you have that one ? Or am I thinking of someone else ? Anyway, the color this year has been really different-not nearly as dark. It's pretty though anyway. Hopefully it will return to it's normal self next year. If you don't have it I could easily carve up a couple fans and stick the in my suitcase for you at IU ? The plant is huge and really needs to be divided anyway.

OK, all for tonight..waves to all , and missing Yeonas posts !

Kathy in Napa

o

Kathy, Shasta 'old court' variety. They got very thirsty while in bud, but all is well now. This is their 3rd or 4th year.

What a day it was, very busy with people here for various work things. But divine weather!!! I edged the hellebore garden, but it needs some weeding still. The veg garden needs lots of work too. Maybe tomorrow. Lilies have begun to bloom in various places.

DH carted loads of willow wood to the barn. Not the greatest for burning, but the price is right.

Phoebe was busy howling at the moon tonight. What a hoot she is!

Sphaerocephalon bulbs here...everywhere. I like Bulgaricum very much, though possibly too subtle for some. I just cut them back today. Also like Azureum.

Here is a link that might be useful: allium bulgaricum

o

I wish I could be here more too. I do read when I have time, and think of all often. I enjoy the garden pictures of course, and wish I could have all of the plants, and space for them, but am glad to be able to own them vicariously, so thanks. :) Sorry to hear that weather is affecting some so much. We have warm days, but unseasonably cooler evenings. Great for my Leah, who loves her cool evening walks, but hard for most humans I talk to.

My garden is finally weeded, which I'm relieved about. My method; I lift a shovelful, weed, and put the shovelful back. It is the quickest for me. I worry about stimulating weeds with the amount of soil I disturb, but reason that I will be able to weed the loosened soil more easily. Hopefully that's the case.

My phlox David was almost completely overtaken with powdery mildew this year, owing in part to the later rains, I've surmised. I hope that there will still be flowers on the little green that was left unscathed on the top of the plant. I love my phlox David and hope the weather hasn't changed my being able to have it in my garden. The rest of the plants are doing okay, except for the asters and echinops ritro, which have been eaten by large white larvae. Again I hope I still get blooms. Is my garden trying to tell me something? Maybe my plants need some compost spray. I think I'll give that a try. For sure some newer plants need watering, like my beauty berry and the newly transplanted peony, which bloomed non stop this year despite the upset, of that move. Hopefully it hasn't bloomed itself to death!

I'm not happy with the daylilys so far. I have stella and wish it were bigger. It might be because I've only had them for a year. I haven't had much problem with slugs. Maybe the birds are keeping them down. Anyway of course I'll give them a few years. I love the stargazer lilies, though. They took a few years to put on a good show for me, but now they look great.

Good to hear Marian's hubby is mending. Sorry about the emphysema. MIL's twin sister contracted that and was struck very ill with it for a year before she passed. She suffered greatly with it. Smoking was the culprit for her. MIL, who smoked also contracted lung cancer and was taken quickly. Son-in-law's family are smokers, and I worry about my daughter and SIL around all that smoke. Apparently exercise helps protect against smoking which my daughter does lots, but SIL doesn't as he has a back condition from birth which causes him pain. I am a worrier, I admit.

We are thinking of getting another dog now. We are looking at a shepherd wolf doberman mix dog, but haven't decided. The parents are lovely and friendly, and the older siblings are apparently very friendly dogs, but I was hoping for a boy, and Richea likes the girl's markings. Decisions decisions.

It's late, and I have to work tomorrow so I'll say good night, and good gardening. :)

Yeona

o

The gnomes certainly held back posting this morning - but hopefully this will work this time...

Kathy - that's amazing that's Bela Lugosi - yes, I do have it and it is nowhere near that color this year - much darker/blacker...I think I've got two sets of it even, LOL...I believe my purchase of it was inspired by the pics you showed a few years ago along w/ Moonlight Masquerade (which I said on FB is so disappointing to me)...must have something to do with the moisture/rain we get each year, ya think? Which is why the fleshy toned-pink daylilies I've got proliferating the garden are out of here this year -- hope to do that this weekend - I managed to tape them while they were blooming for SP alert.

Shasta daisies are another plant that seem to flop too much even for me to stand it and they dont bloom as long as I wish so I did get rid of a bunch; I love that shaggy Old Court look, 'bug, and have admired this batch you've got.

We actually Finally got a decent downpour yesterday p.m. and it saved me from Hose duty last nite -- but in penance, I spent over an hour with tech support trying to install a new wireless printer at home -- the guy was obviously in India and said it aws about 5 a.m where he was -- Victory -- I have a working printer again after probably 6 months of none; frankly I would have preferred pulling hoses around, LOL.

Big sigh today -- gorgeous, fabu weather - no humidity and 80ish - if only I werent doing duty here at the awfice..... o well, I'm hopeful the weather will continue thru the weekend and I'll grab some garden therapy then.

Nice to see your post, Yeona -- getting some weeds out is a feelng of accomplishment, even if it's fleeting -- I know as soon as I pull, they're back somewhere else; I never mulch deep enough.

Ciao!

-Cindy

o

Cindy I know exactly what you mean by the 'fleshy-pink' thing--that color is just downright yukky to me and I too am sp'ing all that diSplay that. This is what I get when I order 'pink' . Soils, temps, moisture I think all are involved.

Back to work...

o

Kathy - I'm probably the last holdout re FB... :-) Yes, I knew about Marian's dog - remember the discussion here re a name...? Did Lady Rolex 'stick' as a name? Is the dog getting along with the cat now? I forgot to ask Marian about the dog.

There's a new dog in the neighbourhood here. Rex is a Skye terrier and he's the exact same color as Misty! He's the same height roughly but twice as long! And he reacts to other dogs in the same way as Misty does initially (i.e. run to the end of the leash, barking and lunging like a lunatic!) We hope to get them settled down together with time. They will make a very cute combination if/when they become buddies.

No rain here yet - the forecast says maybe Monday next week...:-( But it was pleasantly cool here today, which was nice. There was a lot of hose-dragging going on this morning.

On the subject of daylilies... I only have a few. The ones I like best are intense reds and rusty red-oranges. There're some nice combinations developing in the herb bed, which has become my 'hot' bed. I need to take some pictures out there to see if I can get some decent pictures that aren't all washed out in the intense sun we've been having.

I used to like shasta daisies, particularly 'Becky', which doesn't flop and blooms for a long time. But deadheading them is such a PITA that I've been cutting back on them - or at least I thought so until they bloomed this week! There's a heck of a lot more of them out there than I thought there was.

Drema mentioned once that she liked the Bressingham Blue hostas I have. They're in bloom now so I thought I'd post this picture for her. I like the flowers on the big hostas because they're nice and big too.

o

OOO-la la for those Hostas Woody.

You aren't quite last holdout for FB though: 'bug, Mary,Yeona and though Chelone has an account she is never there. The fun part is that we see Brenda, Sue, Eden and Marian every day, Monique almost every day, T quite often. Deanne , Saucy and Cindy and Drema are frequent as well. And Michelle !

Bedtime for me.

Kathy in Napa

o

Woody's photo also shows that this was a great year for Aruncus/Goatsbeard! Yesterday I even found seedlings as I weeded. That's a first for me.

A beautiful morning here, but likely to get HOT once again as the weekend progresses. Lots of watering necessary at least until Monday. We'll see how that goes!

Today I'm hoping to work in the flats where it is shady. This evening the tree man returns to grind up some roots.

A photo for today - Ivy hiking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aruncus

o

Ivy looks like she's serious about trekking! That's actually Persicaria polymorpha you're seeing in the hosta picture gb. I do have lots of goatsbeard, but not in that bed. I find the dwarf stuff seeds around 'way too much! I now seem to have both male and female in the big native ones so I now have to deadhead those well and watch out for seedlings too.

o

I finally got a (less-than-satisfactory) picture of some of the warm colors in the herb bed. Unfortunately I couldn't get the red Helenium into the picture (it's a very small plant at this stage) and the Paprika rose has lost many of its petals - it will have nice, fairly large red hips in a month or two. The orange lilies are not blooming yet and the Belamcanda hasn't produced any flowers yet. I didn't used to like orangy tones but I quite like how this is developing.

o

We have a new visitor today.
Dawn has been a buddy of Misty's for a couple of years now. She lives a few houses down the street. But she's never stayed here bofore. Her 90+ year old 'grandaddy' is in his final days so we and Rambo's 'parents' are taking care of Dawn while her owner spends time with his father.

Dawn has mostly shed out her winter coat but there's still some left. Fortunately the undercoat combs out easily and Dawn likes being groomed. She's about twice as wide in the winter when her full coat is in! Sadly Dawn has cancer so we're not sure how long she will be around. Dawn's predecessor also died of cancer. I wonder if it's a common problem with Malamutes...

o

Hi all! I am the victim of a computer collapse. My machine is "toast" and I should pick up its replacement today, actually. It's been a week, but since I've been busy and it's more a recreational item than a "tool" I haven't really noticed. (am marginally freaked out about missed e-mails, though).

Woody, we're dog sitting a West Highland White terrier this weekend. He a very good cooperator, but having to put the untrained fool on a leash every time we go out is real drag. He has never been taught to "come!" and is a "slave" to his nose, lol. Rex has been great with him, and the cats have been a riot. They don't much fancy the "intruder", even though they're just about his size and he's as docile as a lamb. The Halloween Cat postures and the growling/hissing has poor Baxter very confused.

Michelle, the shot of the chandelier is great. It reminds me of the one that hangs over the stairwell here on the Compound. Have I told you lately that you have great taste? :)

Sorry about missed birthdays, etc., but you know how it goes.

o

Well Chelone, great to hear from you! Your replacement computer may become a tool in the salon soon, in addition to a recreation item. ;)

It is too hot to think or move today....and certainly too hot to work. The promise of showers and thunderstorms seems to get weaker and weaker. I certainly am tired of dragging hoses about, but I guess I'll just have to for the next week or so.

A photo from this week: Morina longifolia with Clematis Aljonushka.

o

Hi Chelone! Long time, no 'see'... I'll bet that terrier is a lot of fun!

It turns out Dawn is a serious couch potato :-) It is too hot and humid here to spend more than a few minutes outdoors, so she's been alternating between sprawling on cool tile floors and sneaking onto the couch! Her 'daddy' leads a bachelor existance and it obviously suits her just fine...

gb - I've never heard of Morina longifolia and looking it up quickly on Google wasn't terribly informative. Tell us more about it... any bad habits? Where did you get it? What conditions does it need?

o

I grow it near the Becky daisies in a fairly sunny location. It looks (and feels like) a dark green thistle. Last year I had a first bloom and this year 9-10. Read below. If I had read the page before buying these, I might not have tried them because of their "short life span" and tolerance to only -17c. I'm glad I did try them though! I got them at a nearby nursery in Fergus.

What a day it has been dragging the hoses about. Nothing below 86F is predicted all week long. The phlox and daisies...even the sweet peppers were all drooping. Loads of black flies and mosquitoes too. Ugh. I guess I'd complain if it were winter too.

Trying to get a cat sitter for while we go away. Not easy.... I think Woody will be caring for Phoebe. We will arrange details soon. I hope things cool down while Phoebe is there. DH is trying to teach her how to behave on a leash once again. (I tried to train HIM to be consistent about this...in vain.)

We ate out by the Grand River tonight. I was NOT up to cooking!

Here is a link that might be useful: Morina

o

Hi Chelone! Long time, no 'see'... I'll bet that terrier is a lot of fun!

It turns out Dawn is a serious couch potato :-) It is too hot and humid here to spend more than a few minutes outdoors, so she's been alternating between sprawling on cool tile floors and sneaking onto the couch! Her 'daddy' leads a bachelor existance and it obviously suits her just fine...

gb - I've never heard of Morina longifolia and looking it up quickly on Google wasn't terribly informative. Tell us more about it... any bad habits? Where did you get it? What conditions does it need?

o
RE: Idyll #505 Tea in the Garden - double post

AARGH! I hit 'refresh' and it posted my last post again! Sorry...

o

Whew, this weekend sure wizzed by. Lots of garden chores as IU is on the horizon, closely followed by business travel and this garden is going to have to fend for itself for a few weeks.

Yesterday I got up and headed to the Ruth Bancroft Garden ; it was the last weekend for this years sculpture installation. Took lots of pics which I will share this week at some point. Of course I lolly-gagged there so the chores got short shrift. Still on laundry detail with only an hour or so t go till bedtime. The weather has been fabulous and staying indoors is not an option !

Hiya Chelone, great to see you check in ..computer meltdowns are excused absences. We do miss you though !

Woody, I,m with you on the Morina. Sure is pretty! I check out 'bugs link shortly. How sad that Dawn is ill.

Ok. A little baseball and then to bed .

Kathy in Napa

o

Minor rain last night, chances of more today. I hope so!

Thinking of V today as the veronicastrum is in bloom!

Happy Monday!

o

I fear we missed an important birthday -- Happy Birthday, Michelle -- I hope your Saturday was wonderful!

-back later when I have some time.

-Cindy

o

o

o

o

Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 20:24

Happy Birthday Michelle!!

Cheers,

Julie

o

o

Thanks everyone for the lovely birthday pictures and wishes. It was certainly a hot day and has been getting hotter each day since with today hitting 100 degrees and very humid. The evening before we took a boat ride on the "Queen" around the lake and had dinner overlooking the lake.

Tonight I went out to water the pots and couldn't handle anything more than that. I'm not chased indoors too often. I made good use of the time though and caught up on bookwork.

The roofers started today at 6:30 a.m. Four fairly young men. They worked until 4 p.m. Rick called and asked me to bring home a large bag of ice as the ice maker couldn't make ice fast enough for them. Tomorrow they will start at 6:00 to take advantage of the morning temps. Although at 11:00 its still in the mid 80's. The roof will be a steel one in dark grey. Hopefully, it will be long lasting. It also qualified for the gov't 30% tax credit. I don't think its for every house but I think for a farm house it should be ok. We have had lots of problems with the last shingles we put on.

Kathy, your dahlias remind me of my red bed or aka The Tractor Garden. I planted red dahlias along with red salvia, red cannas and red zinnias. Normally I don't like dealing with the staking. I was smarter this year and planted the stakes at the same time as the plants.

Bedtime for me.
Michelle

o

Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 8:44

Hey! Where did my post from last night go? I bet I forgot to hit "submit" after "preview". Combination of heat, tiredness, old age, and GW, I guess.

All is well here. Hot,like everywhere else except Vancouver, it seems. Lots of watering needed, a great chore for a nine year old who needs to help to earn his allowance. Not so great for small short haired black doggies though.

Yesterday we had the ductwork cleaned. I had to give the technician a towel because he was dripping all over my house. It appears that the contractor didn't clean up the ducts when construction was finished and the ducts were full of construction debris. I bet the heat and AC work a lot more efficiently now. And notso much dust to clean up either, hopefully. Maybe one less JulieJob!!

All of the photos are gorgeous. Gardens thrive with heat and water, even if gardeners don't!

With IU 8 looming large, I hope that the temps moderate. Over on FB there are a few commentson birds panting. Same here. The three bbaths in my gardens are getting lots of action now, a treat for me to see too.

Lots of clematis that i thought I had lost are mysteriously reappearing, perhaps as a result of the weather? Once I lose a plant I toss the tag, so now I don't know what I have. I am looking for a Joe Zary and a Tie Dye to cover my back fence. Woody's swag and Bug's variety motivate and inspire me!

Warm here already. Doctor appointment this morning and awning installation this afternoon. I think of Chelone every time I look at my front window! And Deanne and Lisa because I have a large banana out there... Just musin'.

Cheers all!

Julie

o

Lots of pretty pictures -- Yeona, your photography skills are impressive - wow! I take most of mine on the run lately w/ the camera phone and they are pretty blurry... I dug out the regular camera in prep for IU and to make sure it still works, LOL, or that I recall how to use it! I love having photos of the trips that I can look and review in the winter or in years to come - always full of grand ideas.

Woody - your garden areas are looking lovely - the hostas are amazing and I love that bench; the herb garden area is a perfect place for "hot" colors.

Michelle - I saw that Iowa got the "it" for the day w/ its high temps and horrible humidity - I swear I heard one weather guy say it was heat index of 120 w/ all the humidity... I guess it's on its way here... the usual Calcutta commuting issues - it's almost enough to make me call in sick this week! But I feel for workers like roofers who actually work in these temps -- that's incredible - ugh; it was only mid 90s the day the roofers were at my house (and they did start at 6:30ish unloading, waiting for the noise ordinance time to end - 7 a.m. for my county). One has to hope they make big bucks for doing that sort of job in that weather?

Good to see Chelone check in again -- sorry for the computer fail - I had that happen last month;and am working myself into the new system I got - I spent over an hour one nite with tech folks getting the wireless printer to work... this tech stuff is one of the things I can definitely cry easily over -- soooo frustrating.

Well, back to panting in the awfice - stay cool everyone!

-Cindy

o

Sizzling here, moving hoses, weeding at 6am, planning travel & holidays...

Handyman Mario has fixed some hinges, repaired flagstone grouting, patched the wall where the raccoons nested, mended a hole in the barn floor and more. Tomorrow he returns to repair a board on the bridge, fix a faucet in the back room, perhaps replace a cracked sink, and work on a problem in the basement floor involving drainage. What a guy!

In the garden I am finding loads of hosta babies. Never seen so many before. Same with clematis babies. There are loads of chipmunks - and their holes too. Two special delphiniums were delivered by friends today. :) I'm afraid to plant anything now in the heat so will wait to plant them next week. Actually I planted a Rodgersia today in the shade.

Here's the arbor from a few days ago.

My Orienpet lilies are blooming and are fragrant which is great. Other lilies are blooming but there is one which was mislabeled and looks weird. Tomorrow I think others will open.

I hope you are all drinking lots of water!
'bug (off to move the hoses once more...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here