Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Today's Flowers

gardenbug
16 years ago

Here at the farm things are very dry and much time is spent watering. This morning I deadheaded delphiniums and peonies too. Here's how things look-

Clematis Blue Belle with Blue Boy behind

{{gwi:167453}}

Clematis Kaiu with clematis Mikelite:

{{gwi:167454}}

{{gwi:167455}}

{{gwi:167456}}

{{gwi:167457}}

Prairie Sun

{{gwi:167458}}

For V!

{{gwi:167459}}

{{gwi:167460}}

{{gwi:167461}}

This one is called "American Spirit"

{{gwi:167462}}

Comments (10)

• david_5311
    16 years ago

Beautiful Marie!! And, BTW, how are you?? I think that Clematis Blue Boy is fast becoming one of my favorite (maybe THE favorite) clems. What amazing flower power, it just never seems to stop blooming. And those flowers really are pretty blue too. Yours looks like it has many 100s of flowers. Mine is not quite so big yet but considering it was just moved into place a year ago is amazingly prolific. And Blue Belle looks none-too-shabby either.

WAY too dry here too. Lawns are all brown if not watered, huge contrast with the Philly area where everything was green. Having 40 inches rain per year (east coast) rather than our midwestern 30 inches really does make a big difference.

Great pictures.

David

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Oh so pretty Marie! Sure doesn't look like a garden that was on it's own for weeks. Like David said it's dry here too. We haven't had any rain to speak of in weeks and weeks. Your clems are spectacular as always! Thanks for sharing.

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Wow! Your clematis are stunning. They seem to have taken your absence pretty well.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

It all looks great to me. A.D. ( after deer) I don't have nearly that much left! I have 'never' had that many blossoms on a clematis.
    Your Eryngium is pretty but I have never tried growing them. There is a wild species here that is pretty weedy and invasive...called Rattlesnake Master. It's not very pretty.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

It looks like things aren't as bad on the farm as you feared. I think I'll have to look for a Blue Boy.... I'm planning to rip out the clematises on the iron arbour. They aren't what they were supposed to be (wrong colors) and one keeps getting wilt. I might move the healthy ones somewhere else and I'm debating planting honeysuckle or climbing roses on the arbour instead. One of the clematis on the iron obelisks didn't make it. Blue Boy would probably suit that I think.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Blue Boy is not a climber Woody! It gets huge though. Perhaps you should investigate Betty Corning, which gets huge but does climb.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Adding a few more from today. Still hoping for rain, this evening perhaps?

{{gwi:167463}}

{{gwi:167464}}

{{gwi:167465}}

{{gwi:167466}}

{{gwi:167467}}

{{gwi:167468}}

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

The clems look great Bug , but that last photo is my fave. Love the color combo. Norma

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

I adore all the purple, 'bug -- who'd have thought something as "common" as those hollyhocks in the last pic would be so stunning? I agree w/ Norma that I just love that combo & is that Franz Shubert or Blue Paradise phlox? boy it's looking very blue there! You do such marvelous combinations. Thanks for showing us.

-Cindy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Blue Paradise there Cindy. It's strange how it varies in different light, but I like it! As to hollyhocks, it is all up to chance. I never know what color they'll end up being from year to year, yet next to the barn is where I think they just belong.
    No rain yet...