Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerri_okc

Idyll #450 - IU6 Fun!

Jerri_OKC
14 years ago

Hello? Is anyone here? Carry on folks...

Comments (100)

• wendy2
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

'bug, Ms Ivy is beautiful - I'm sure you can't wait to get your hands on her!

Sue, I showed the grill mouse pictures to my family, and DH suggests that you change the drip pan - they sell replacements at places like Lowe's and Orange.

-W

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Miss Ivy Rayne is a sweetheart. Great pics all.

The Grill Mouse may be cute, but I hope I have seen the last of it's kind in my house for a long time!

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

I'm pleased to see that pink isn't totally banned from Ivy's wardrobe. What fun she must be having. That first picture is quite stunning.

How exciting to see the IU pictures start rolling in. It appears that it was another smashing success. I look forward to all the pictures.

I need to get in my garden now. I think a photographer will be here sometime in the near future.

Michelle

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I got greedy and decided to upload all of my IU pics at once. Then I realized I have 1 gigabyte of photos and this will likely take all night. Oy!

So I'll settle for word pictures right now. IU6 was a lot of fun and DD and I have a great trip. Lots of generosity all around by the various hosts and hostesses, drivers, garden owners and fellow idyllers. The gardens were lovely and inspiring. The weather - well, we had a great time no matter what the weather decided to do!

DD and I had a great couple of days in Boston. She had a very nice meeting with a music prof at BU who even took her to lunch (and who knew that BU had a lovely little garden with a waterfall where I had my own lunch?) and gave her lots of great information. The next day she visited Simmons but was not as impressed with their program - she says sorry, Liz! But did you know there are three wild turkeys running around their campus? Strange but true.

She also wanted to see the campus of Harvard, so we took the train to Cambridge, had lunch and had a nice stroll. I couldn't figure out why there were cops EVERYWHERE in the neighborhood, but I delivered a nice healthy dope slap to my forehead the next day when I realized we were walking within a block of Prof. Gates' home. That's what happens when you disconnect yourself from the news for a few days.

So now it's back to work. If the weather cooperates, I should have a healthy chunk of garden time this weekend. Some weeding and some editing are overdue here.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Lol Deanne, your pics of grill mouse are great- maybe Sue needs to put that on the front of her Christmas Card this year !

I'm home and currently uploading my photos- I'm beat up from the feet up ! Took me 6hrs to fly from Boston to SFO and then another 4 almost to get home, by the time I waited for the shuttle, picked up my car and inserted myself directly into rush hour traffic.

I'll check back later...wave to all

Kathy, back in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Tonight I planted up my hypertufa pot. Here's a shot of the leaf castings I made also.

{{gwi:167538}}

{{gwi:167540}}

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Michelle, your leaf castings are great! And I love the hypertufa planting too. How long has it been planted? Do they last a long time?

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

You tempt me to make a mini-hosta filled hypertufa Michelle! I'd think slugs would hesitate to climb up the sides.

• jak1
    14 years ago

Good Friday morning everyone!

First off, I want to say a huge "Thank-you" to all who attended IU VI, for the super holiday, and especially to Deanne and Doug for rounding me up at the airport upon my arrival, and Chelone and Helpmeet for providing the plush accommodations and return airport journey, and Kathy (I think) for the wine glass memento; and not to forget all the rest of the Idyll group for welcoming me here and sharing your gardens, your jokes, your peasures and your sorrows. What a genuinely wonderful bunch you are!

I arrived home chomping at the bit to get into my gardens (I sure didn't need any more food!). DD took TCS camping at the beach for the week, and DH was happily entertained on the golf course, so I had two blissful days to induge myself. The front of the house was weeded, trimmed, fertilised and mulched on Wenesday (that hsn't been done all at one time since I put that garden in four years ago) and Thursday the back yard got the treatment. I spent three hours in my version of vegetable world, which is mostly a forest of tomato plants, pruning them all. My version of tomato pruning is looking at each branch and if there are no fruit or flowers on it, lop it off. It does not look nearly as lush and green as it once did, but boy! Do I have a ton of tomatoes, now that I can see them! I also took down the makeshift fence that was keeping the Bostons off the grass seed and out of the garden, weeded the garden, topped up the whole thing with triple mix, cut the lawn, and then fertilised. Whew! Makes me tired just thinking about it! But it does look good. I guess I needed a good swift kick where it hurts to get my self in gear. The gardens I saw in Maine were a huge inspiration.

DH had commented on the way to the airport that removing the parts of the lawn on both sides of the house would make more garden space and remove irritating mowing areas, so I psyched that out a little bit too. After seeing Chelones standard PeeGee Hydrangea, and sitting under it for a spell, I decided that I would also get one for one of the new garden areas. I didn't actually get a Pee
    Gee but I have to go out and read the tag to tell you which one I got. I know my men would be more than willing to help get this started, but when is the question, so I have started by moving one patio stone to it's new home. In a few days I should be able to acually plant the tree - Always something fun to do in a new garden!

Today's JJobs are to pay the bills (groan) and to clean the fridge (double groan). So I had better get to it, or I will languish on the couch with a book all day and then beat myself up for doing nothing.

TTFN.

Cheers,

Julie

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

I'm way behind, but company leaves tomorrow morning, so I hope to catch up then.

Haven't had a chance to really enjoy all the IU pics, but plan to do that when I can sit and relax awhile, but wanted to thank all of you for sharing it with all of us who couldn't make it. Did get a chance to look quickly (want to do a better lookey later)at Sue's pics and I can see everyone had a wonderful time, no suprise there!:-) I *love* the nail color pic! I would definitely want to frame that one and put it on the wall...the "circle" was perfect and the colored nails and varied pretty feet really make it a piece of art! Love the mousey too! :-) Thanks again all for sharing the joy. It was wonderful to see all your faces...Mary you have such a great smile...it really glows from within. More to comment on, but will have to wait till later when I can really take it all in.

Norma...I'm sorry to hear about your arthritis. :-(
    I'm including a couple of pics of the 'Snow Fairy'. Every year they look like they're dead in late winter, but by spring they're lush and beautiful. I think they have a nicer habit then other caryopteris I've grown. I really like that they shear so nicely too. They may look a little droopy here, as I haven't had a chance to water anything and I can see now that they could do with a little shearing. I have so much gardening work to catch up on this year. I hope to do some of that this week-end after MIL & FIL head for home.

Here's the one in the white garden...sorry if the pics are too large...I still haven't figured out how to adjust them at PB:

{{gwi:167542}}

And here are pics of the ones by the arbor my dad made many years ago:

{{gwi:167544}}
    {{gwi:167545}}
    {{gwi:167546}}

Michelle the leaves are wonderful and so is your hypertufa container. I love what you planted and giving it a stone mulch. :-) Mine is a bit overflowing this year...I need to learn control...LOL!

Lovely little Ivy...what a sweetheart! She looks pretty in pink, though I'm sure she'd look lovely in any color! :-) I agree with Michelle that first pic is breathtaking.

Well, I guess I'd better go...hope to be back this week-end...really looking forward to seeing all the separate IU posts.

Have a great day all! Ei

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Ei, your pics are beautiful, and just the right size, in my opinion. The 'White Garden' is espacially pretty, and all the others are lovely too.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Ive spent the morning so far punctuating frenzied deadheading sessions with downloading batches of IU pics. My garden looks horrid- hate to think what it would be like if Id been gone another week ! DS did a great job watering, nothing is dead though the Tithonia tried to go to seed, so I topped it.

Its great to see everyone checking in, and the great photos from Michelle, bug, Ei, Woody etc etc. I hope to comment more this evening.

Michellemore details please on the photographer visit ?

Back outside I go

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I've been driven indoors by yet more rain. Not quite as bad as last Friday, but still heavy. The helpmeet and I returned the beds to my BIL's home this morning and then turned our attention to some much needed yardwork.

I weeded around the Arborvitaes and Vaccinium while he trimmed the hedge. It began to rain just as we finished putting the trimmings in the gardenway and hauling it out to the debris area. The hedge looks really nice and several cyclists commented on it, too. I thought to myself how nice it would be if you could be here to see it, too. But alas, it was not meant to be. We both lamented that it's tough when busy season at your job coincides with gardening season. Also that tough choices about home projects often put gardening further down on the list than you'd like... but such is the life of a "modern pioneer woman".

I've begun addressing a nasty case of bindweed near the stonewall that runs along the road. The stuff is awful and I'm not sure how to really eradicate it effectively. Attempts to eliminate it when fence and garden area in front of it were removed for the bahn's construction were unsuccessful and it piggybacked to a new site when the Baptisia was relocated. I weeded around a few prominent clumps of it and then zapped it with some Finale but was wondering what you've done in a similar situation. I loathe using herbicides in general but do understand that they have their place in controlling tough customers. Thoughts?

I've not had time to really read but wanted to comment on Michelle's wonderful leaf castings and hypertufa and Ei's pretty gardens. All looks so neat and tidy.

I think Ivy looks grand in her pink dress with the polka dots. And I would like to know how big the snapping turtle in the picture was?

I laughed at the mention of the Prof. Gates fiasco and Cambridge, V.. Talk about a perfect storm of egos, huh? can't you just imagine how it all went down? Give me a break! :)

OK, time for some reading and a nap since we're going to the theatre tonight. I wonder what we're going to see?

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Chelone, I understand the moving of an undesirable with a transplant. I have done that. I am afraid I have no advise for you.
    And then there are the things that I have bought that turned out to be thugs!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

One very classy area nursery introduced a special invasive violet to our property. Grrrr. Instead of apologizing or eradicating it there, the fellow denies it.

Today I bought 2 Anthony Waterer Spireas. They were $8 each! I was inspired by all the handsome ones at the various IU6 gardens, ESPECIALLY the ones combined with Clematis Hagley Hybrid! I also picked up 2 Hydrangeas and a Lorraine Sunshine. You guys are all to blame!

Today we vacuumed together. What a chore! DH and I rotated the DR rug which was a big task but it sure looks better. I cleaned out the guest bedroom closet and gave three armloads of clothing to the "opportunity shop". At last that chore is out of the way. Yesterday I bought a used baby swing for Ivy to use while she's here. I'm amazed at the deals at that particular shop! They had really nice baby clothing for $1.99. Why do people feel badly about buying used clothing? They also sold ice skates and such things.

Chelone, Myrtle's carapace is about 12" long. I haven't seen her today, so perhaps she has laid her eggs and left. And as for Phoebe, I don't know what happened to her while I was away but she is ever so naughty and nippy too. She forgot how to roll over and now is at least back to rolling in one direction.

Ei, your gardens are a real delight! You've changed things since I was there! I too love Snow Fairy, mostly for the foliage. The flowers are intriguing but not all that showy.

I am still readjusting from my travels, but tomorrow I must do lots of stuff before the gang arrives. Can't wait! Tonight? Grilled sausages, corn on the cob and salad.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

LOL...Speaking of you guys being to blame...here is what I brought home from HD yesterday:

{{gwi:167547}}

{{gwi:167549}}

They are each in 10 inch pots, and were only $2:50 apiece. Of course the Zinnias are what you are to blame for...LOL, not the rose moss.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Im moving the bio-rhythms back into Pacific time, but I have fatigue issues as well. I expect to feel chipper by tomorrow which will help as indoor chores must be done. The suitcase is sitting,(still full) on the chair in my bedroom, and electronics are strewn on the dining room table. No laundry is done yet, though some is gatherered. I still havent downloaded all my pics ! That will be accomplished tonight.

So Chelone, did you trim New Dawn to the specifications we discussed ? I should have just asked for your pruners and done it while I was standing there ! When one has 70 plus roses, trimming , pruning and deadheading needs to be done fast, and in our winter between rain storms. I guess you can appreciate that with the crazy weather on the E. seaboard this summer . Another thank you for allowing us to descend on the compound . You have a beautiful piece of property there, and I know you will solve your traffic barricade dilemma in due course.

Wendy, I really liked your DSs robots ! I know everyone here would enjoy a photo .

bug, I LOVE the polka dot rig on Ms IvyI hope it fits her for a while ..

Julie, Im glad the Phils all got along without you, and that you had a couple of days to recuperate. Last year was my freshman year at IU and I sure do remember how fun it was to meet everyone for the first time. I did a JJ fridge cleaning thing too- but there was almost nothing in it so it was a very easy task for a change. Did you loose a pair of stretchy- over the glasses shades ? I seem to have come home with an extra pair.

Eileen your photos are beautiful and I dont think they need re-sizing. I wish I had been around in the olden days and could have seen your garden.

Marian, I have been enabled to the max on my trip ! I sure came home with lots of ideas and hope I can implement at least a couple.

All for me this evening

Mary, check in !!

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

Kathy, I trimmed New Dawn a bit more radically than you suggested. I removed the one very long cane and then cleaned up the the base. I removed the long cane because it was laced in behind the trellis and would have been a pain to keep trimmed, and I figured improving the air circulation behind her wouldn't hurt any. The shorter, younger canes have been tied loosely to the trellis ans spent blossoms have been removed. I have yet to feed her but that will happen shortly as I want to work in that bed in the coming week/so; I'm not interested int he heavy chemical fix so any suggestions you may have with regard to an improved diet would be appreciated. Seems prudent to document the reclaimation photographically, too. As I told you, I'm willing to do something more radical to bring her into line before deciding she's outta here for good. I remain unconvinced but will give it the old college try...

We received another solid inch of rain yesterday afternoon and there was standing water in Vegetable World yet again. The helpmeet has determined to look into a saddle fitting with drain that could be added to the subterranean 12" black plastic drainage pipe that runs from the culvert under the road to the cement drainage pipe that drains the the environs on the bahn. The standing water drains away in under an hour but it would be nice to be able to hasten the process if possible. Maybe today I'll be able to put some of the mulch on a bed/two? Ya think?

We've decided that Rex is a very social dog. He really seemed to enjoy all the activity and "company" and he would love to have Catherine come back and minister to his needs. He has not taken to the Kong ball at all, though, 'bug, so it may be regifted to the Wrecking Crew on their next visit to the Compound. Nope, his preferred toy is a tennis ball (preferably two of them) and I think that's how it will be until he's no longer able to run after one. He will do ANYTHING for a tennis ball. Life should be so simple for us all, huh?

Time to mosey into the kitchen and think about some clean up. Then a trip to the store for some laundry detergent, a necessary ingredient to banish the final load of laundry and capitalize on what is supposed to be a a sunny, dry day.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Today is looking so promising - sun over freshly watered lawn and garden....ahhhh!

I pulled something in my back though, and it will be hard to restrain myself on such a glorious day!

Kathy, that's a tough flight across the country. I hope you wake feeling refreshed today! Your pictures are coming in gorgeous...I think you've nailed it! I am having a love/hate relationship with my camera right now...and have put it down for the most part. Maybe I'll start accosting the family for photos again - a new muse might waken the spirit!

Michelle, your leaves are beautiful. Great job casting! I think of you a lot in your little "workshop" and dream of having such a space. Did you plant your trough up or is that an older one? I have never planted one up right away...if that is what you did.

I want to hear more about this mysterious photographer, too...you mentioned it as if we wouldn't notice :)

Ms. Ivy is going to get her cheeks pinched :) What is that beautiful body of water in the first picture? Why is it that color (if there is an explanation)?

I am planning to come in today when I get hot or need a back break and upload some pictures...I've got them in the computer now, so they just need to get moved to picturetrail.

TTYL.

Saucy

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Hi all,

As Saucy said we are looking at a beautiful, sunny summer day and with the two inches of rain we got yesterday I dont need to water. Yea! I need to get caught up on my deadheading and cleaning up debris from the gardens today and have to feed the Brugmansias.

Kathy, Hope you get back on your west coast schedule soon. Youve really gotten some fantastic shots from IU6. ~~ I miss seeing you every day, you just live way to far away!

Eileen, I really loved seeing the photos of your gardens. They are looking awesome!

Michelle! Wow, your leaf castings are fabulous! And your hypertufa planting is beautiful.

Marian, great plants from HD. Such great colors.

OK Im off to putter around the gardens and spruce things up around here.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I must start my day today by digging out Japanese anemones from a spot where I thought I had eliminated them already. :( Then there's a long list of chores and errands before the gang arrives. :) It is sunny and going to be HOT out.

Last night I received a call that offered me a $100 plant gift certificate, a gimmick that a nursery owner is using to entice people to shop there. Well how annoying that I can't use it! I had to use it today...and just can't fit it in. My friend who works there is bringing me a baby Cornus alternifolia for $20! She says the owner doesn't know what it is and had no idea how to price it.

I am wondering where Chelone's new holly is going to be situated. I'd love a photo of it planted in its new home. Anyone have suggestions for the best spot, now that you've been there?

OK, I'm off to find my shovel. Please keep adding photos and I'll try to check back often.

Looking for PM and Mary and others too!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

A quickie here. We are supposed to leave for a wedding near the capitol city. I woke up with what I believe is shingles on my leg, exactly where I had them before. It's been very stressful at work so it probably is. I'm waiting to call the clinic and get meds before we go.

I'm hoping to take in a garden on the trip.

Ei, I love the picture of the arbor with the blue, white and chartruese. How special that it was made by your dad.

Saucy, the tufa is 2 weeks old. I don't know if it was good to plant it or not but I've had these succelents all summer waiting for a home.

As for the photographer, my garden has been chosen for an award, more on that later.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Someone explain to me why I did not have the presence of mind to jot down the names of plants seen on IU6? Sensory overload must be the answer. In the gardens of Sue and Monique were collections of shrubs that created wonderful tapestries of color and form with only punctuations of flowers. This would work quite well for areas of this left coast garden that has exposure issues relative to trees on the lots of adjoining neighbors.

I finally got all my pictures loaded onto the computer and will put up some this afternoon of Les and Moniques and our trip to White Flower Farm. This morning I need to hit the grocery store and do a WALAT at the garden center.

Cant wait to hear about MIchelles award, and look forward to a leisurely evening looking at all the pics being posted both of IU6 and gardens of others Idyll folk.

Later all

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I am sorry to hear that some of the Idyll sisterhood is feeling under the weather... not the time of year for that nonsense now, is it? Do take good care of yourselves and Michelle, put that stress behind you, please!

I can't wait to hear about the "major award" (a line from "A Christmas Story" that's a family standard here), Michelle. I am not the least bit surprised as several of your combinations have dazzled us all. What fun! and I hope you preen appropraitely as all your hard work is lauded by other appreciative people. :)

I'm in for a short break (to hang laundry) after a busy morning toiling along the road. I reek of sunscreen (remember that stuff?). My weeding frenzy has paid off and I've put down a thin layer of newspaper, soaked it well, and topped it all with several wheelbarrow loads of "dahk bahk", the preferred mulch here on the Compound. I am preparing to mulch between the Stewartia and Dogwood next, but will skip the newspaper layer since I want to be move plants around in there in the coming weeks. Feels good but it's really just a drop in the bucket and when I lift my head and look to the north and gaping maw of road I want to cry. Oh well, looks better than it did so I'll focus on that.

While I dearly love beautiful perennial borders I'm with Sue, Monique, 'bug, and several others who have established shrub borders. They're beautiful and they minimize the effort required to keep things looking nice. But the devil (as always!) is in the details and getting shrubs established and underplanted requires patience and real diligence to keep weeds at bay/under a modicum of control. This, I believe, is where the concept of "massing" fits nicely into the equation. I'm struggling toward more of that, resolving to use the mega horde of Hosta and daylilies I have readily available to effect a better representation of the overall concept.

I am disappointed in the yellow Hemerocallis I have, you guys. It is some sort of hybrid that was passed along to me by my BIL. It came from a friend of his who does the daylily thing. The blossoms are lovely, large and a very soft yellow but the scapes are too wimpy to support the blossoms and they fall over. I've decided they're OUTTA HERE but I would appreciate your thoughts on a sturdy, reliable substitute for the color. Bear in mind that I am looking for a clear color, no contrast in the throat or on the edges of the petals. I could be persuaded to move into peach but I'm not really interested in that "pink" that always looks sort of dirty to me. Fragrance would be terrific but not requisite.

I've not decided where the charming, "Sky Pencil" holly will be sited. I think on the south side of the house (the Terrace area) where it will be more protected from harsher winter winds and would fit nicely into the more formal feel of the area. I have wanted to rework that area for some time now but it always falls off the list as there are bigger "fires to put out" around the yard. Julie and I thought it might look nice next to the stoop that leads into the Biddy Suite, but that will require relocating a pink peony that presently lives there. It would then be next to the New Dawn that I'm trying to resurrect. So not sure.

OK, time to get the laundry hung out and move some more mulch.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good evening all, temps are mild here and Ive spent the day watering and cleaning up the accumulated results of a week away from the garden. The inside still needs attention, but outdoors is far more to my liking.

There will be a visit tomorrow from DD and Mr. Baby ..those requesting photos and info will be pacified at last. I intend to show restraint- Im pretty sure I cant compete with Ms Ivys polka-dot dress !

Chelone, I think Wendy might be an excellent resource for the daylily thing. I would hesitate to recommend anything , as they seem to be so changeable relative to soils, climate etc. Your neighbor had these: {{gwi:167550}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
    {{gwi:167551}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

I am posting this pic here, because the other IU threads are loaded down with photos, and I wanted to share the awe we all felt when Les beckoned us into the Begonia House at WFF. I have been getting the WWF catalog for years and even paid for it a few times, but always thought the tuberous Begonias prices to be ludicrous. I think I can safely say I have never seen begonias the likes of these- the flowers were massive , 8 inch diameters at least on many. The photos I took dont really capture how enormous those flowers were. I looked around for a catalog to check the prices of the tubers ;I may spring for one next year if I can get one under 20 $ {{gwi:167552}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Nothing more to report this evening, laundry and other mundane tasks continue---and are Deanne and I the only ones who took pics at IU ?? Lets see some more photos !

Till tomorrow, Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I did not take many pictures at IUVI and I've not bothered to even upload them yet. My pictures have been more in the "home improvement" category and even those are still riding around on the card inside the camera.

That yellow daylily is just about the color of the one I have with the wimpy scapes, Kathy. And that's just about the color I'm interested in, too. I'll have ask about it. Funnily enough I've always looked askance at the pricey Begonias, too. I'm not sure I'd be willing to fork over that sort of pork for something I'd have serious doubts about carrying over season to season. Probably best to admire from afar, methinks.

I suspect there will be much activity at the Farm in the coming days. Probably way too many gratutious shots of a very young humanoid, too... here we go again. ;)

Time for my coffee and maybe I'll even go out and sit under the big top in the still of the early morning, while hatching the plan of attack for the day. Which will involve more weeding and more mulch and perhaps even some judicious chainsawing!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

You got it Chelone! I'm up early to process photos before the day gets started. What a treat they all are!!! Family is what it's all about.

{{gwi:167553}}

{{gwi:167554}}

{{gwi:167555}}

{{gwi:167556}}

{{gwi:167557}}

Skyler and DD have built monster toys, the dogs have finally met and romped, DSIL clobbered DD at ping pong, Skyler read us a story before bed, we all had strawberries and cream and most important we all got cuddles. :)

I used to get the WFF catalogue but after they stopped shipping to Canada, I received a catalogue from Cynthia for eye candy purposes. I sure miss her!

Those are FABU begonias! I'm partial to yellow. I am not Deanne though and would worry about keeping them alive.

Mr Baby? Ivy'd like to meet you!
    'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

What a happy family photo montage, gb! I love the picture of you inspecting Ivy's perfection :)

Jake always liked those Chicken Soup for the Soul books, too :)

I woke to a huge dog mess...ugh. Not the way I imagined my day starting! I then tried to upload photos but picturetrail keeps saying they're too big....did they change the process on me? Very odd. Not looking good for today if this morning is any indication.

Anyway...I'm going to go paint some more. This will be known as the summer of maintenance, and it was a bad summer to attempt because of all the rain delays....hopefully I can wrap it up soon.

Saucy

• wendy2
    14 years ago

Good morning! Cloudy day on tap here, but no rain until tonite. This AM we are scheduled to clean the turtle tank (DD has a pet turtle, and we have this system of tank cleaning whereby I get to dump the bucket of yucky water and scrub the algea from the rocks, and she does the rest, including bailing, washing the glass, and re-filling).

Later on we visit my parents for swimming and a haircut for DH. DS had his military cut before scout camp, so he is all set until school starts. My father is a barber, and he cuts my DH and DS at home. My DD and I go to a salon where we are coiffed by a hairdresser. I've had his "regular boys" haircut before; from the ages of 7-10 many strangers mistook me for a boy.

Kathy, glad to hear you are recovering from your right coast jaunt. You were smart to take the extra days to relax. I am enjoying your pictures so much.

Michelle, a "major award" (LOL Chelone, we love that movie too) - how cool! Please tell us more when you can. Hope the prize is something better than a leg-lamp - beware of prizes shipped in a huge wooden crate!

Since you asked, I'll include a picture of one of Matthew's robots. It is made from the Lego mindstorm, which includes a programable module, along with various sensors. This is one version of the "camera bot". He programs this robot to drive on a set route with the camera in movie mode, documenting all action at floor-level. He probably has oscar-winning footage of the dust-bunnies that lurk in the corners.

{{gwi:167558}}

He had another camera bot that was a sort of stationary guard; it had a motion sensor that triggered the camera to take a still picture of anyone who entered the room. He has also made various robots that walk upright, sweep up lego debris and solve the rubiks cube (I'm not kidding, he found the program on one of his lego forums).

Chelone, I have a daylily that color called "Ice Carnival", it looks very much like the one in Kathy's pic. I also have "Gloria Blanca" which is that color, but has thicker, fancier petals. Gloria came from a daylily farm near you in Berwick, Maine run by the Vicentes. Ron Vicente hybridized various cultivars that he named after Maine coast landmarks like the Nubble Light. His hybrids were very expensive at the time ($75 yo $200), prices I can't bear to pay for a plant. He has passed away now, I'm not sure if the farm is still in operation. Your neighbor Harold mentioned another daylily woman he knows, the name escapes me now. The fragrant yellow in his yard was called "Cool One".

Well, DD informs me that she is ready to begin turtle operations so I must go assist. She claims that the turtle gets restless when his tank is too dirty, he bangs around a lot and gets underneath the submersible filter and lifts it up so that it squirts water into the air. We can't have an unhappy turtle!

Waving hi to all I missed! Enjoy the day!

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Wow, so much to look at this morning - babies, gardens, robots, colorful flowers. What a treat:0)

How wonderful to see more glimpses of our fabulous week, not to mention Grill Mouse!! I hope to have a few pics to share soon. So many fun memories.

Things as usual have been quite busy since my return. On the poultry front our two chicken families are now sucessfully blended. The three younger Aracanas were put in with the big girls and there has been minimal pecking. They all pile into the one small henhouse at night so I need to get going on their permanent housing.

This morning there was a lot of clucking going on and when I sprinted down to see what was happening the chickens were fine but the quail had completely disappeared. There was no sign of anything entering their pen, but I could hear them calling from different parts of the yard. I spied two quail wandering about on the patio, but the odds of rouding them up and catching them are slim to none. I'll keep their pen open with food and water and hope perhaps they will find their way back:0( They are such pretty birds, I'll miss them a lot.

I'm desparate to spend some serious time in the garden, inspired by all I've seen but it continues to be wet, wet, wet. I've done a quick round of staking and dead-heading and can't wait to put in some serious garden time.

I cast my first concrete leaves with a friend on Friday. It was fun and they seem to have turned out OK so far, though there are lots of little air bubbles on the hosta leaves we made. Do you guys use acrylic paints to color?

Today we are hoping to take a family trip to a Renaissance Fair but the weather looks iffy. If we don't make it I might be able to post pics.

Have a good day everyone

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Baby warning ...

Aiden likes this combo {{gwi:147601}}From aiden

At least I didn't make him cry ! {{gwi:167559}}From aiden

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

You need to try harder, Kathy. :) The wrestling petard looks sharp!

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Great pics and goings on today. So we get pics of Ivy and Mr. Baby (Aiden)....

I see Marie is inspecting the sweet Ivy ever so carefully and Aiden is already helping Grandma in the garden. Very cute.
    That robot is pretty clever Wendy! Amazing piece of work.

I'm looking forward to hearing about Michelle's award.

Mary, so sorry about your quail. What a bummer. Do you know how they got out?

So I was feeding the fish the other day and happened upon these sweet little garden sculptures that weren't there before IU6.
    {{gwi:167560}}

{{gwi:167562}}

I just love them and thank whoever left them so artfully placed by my pond!

OK I've got to go and start some dinner. Have a great evening everyone.

Deanne

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

gb - everyone looks happy there! I particularly like that first picture of Sarah and Ivy. You're going to have to get Phoebe a permanent canine buddy by the looks of things :-)

Mary - I hope your quail find their way home again!

Michelle - waiting impatiently to hear more about the award.....!

Wendy - neat robot! I feel very technologically dated :-)

Kathy - Mr Baby looks like he's going to be useful :-)

Lazy, pleasant day here today. Liam is in residence again - he was here Wed. and Thurs. and came back last night, staying until Monday afternoon. Lots of Frisbee-playing and walks by the lake going on here these days.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Evening all,

I thought Kathy would like to see these couple pics of the side garden. I took this special for her after she said I never took any photos of it. LOL
    {{gwi:167563}}

I just love the Hosta 'Golden Tiara' in this garden. It always smothers itself with flowers.
    {{gwi:167564}}

Nite all,
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good evening Idylls..
    DD and Mr Baby have departed, we had a very pleasant afternoon , and MB was happy and well behaved at all times. The only issue we had was his excitement at seeing Ted and Doobie-he apparently loves kitties and has a special squeal that he performs when seeing one, and the felines here did not find it to their taste. They retreated to their hiding places.

So tomorrow I return to the awfice (think Cindy does too) and I am not excited by re-entry. I could spend all year tooling around between gardens of friends , with frequent stops at mine for over haul. Speaking of which, I started a re-do this morning on the hell-strip. Mostly the demolition portion of the project. Fall is a good time to plant here so I am trying to plan and prepare for the design I want and then will do the install in late Sept.

Deanne, I wonder who your secret gifter was ? Thanks for posting the pics of the side garden ! I love seeing spaces like this that can be a challenge to keep looking nice. Since it was overcast and Im on the wrong coast, I have no clue what the exposure of this bed wasplease advise .I was turned around the whole time until I got my rental car and started driving.

Wendy, thanks for the robot pic ! I would expect numerous bum-shots as well provided there was the right crowd If your DS took that to a Botanical Garden he may end up with a raft of keisters, lol.

Mary, so sorry to hear that your Quail escaped !

All for me tonight, Im finishing up with laundry and household chores so I can be ready to hit the awfice tomorrow.

Wave to all, and missing my IU6 friends !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I am charmed by the addition of some pondside pals. I'll bet you were surprised when you noticed them and whoever placed them has been waiting eagerly to see when they'd be discovered. Love stuff like that! Your borders are so pretty, Deanne. Is that an Astilbe or a Liatris at the head of the border in the second shot? I'm asking because I found a rather good sized Liatris lurking near the birch tree... I have NO idea how it got there since the Liatris I had years ago petered out in less than ideal conditions.

I wonder how many of Mary's AWOL quail have survived the night? it would seem a grim prospect. They're probably not the brightest bulbs on the circuit but let's hope some of them managed to scratch their way back to their coop and relative saftety (at least until Farmer Brown gets hold of them!).

The robotic camera and it's potiential to deliver bumshots made me chuckle... and reminded me of "Wall E". It's always so nice when kids use their minds instead of just settling back and being passively entertained. Gives me needed hope that the world will not, in fact, be taken over by a legion of obese, slack-jawed mouth breathers! Go Idyll kids. And a pat on the back to those of you who've decided to procreate.

I have to work today as my co-worker's mother is in the hospital and quite possibly very ill. We have a big restaurant canopy to get finished this week and it's time for me to "step up to the plate" and help take the pressure off. So I'm going in late today and will stay late, too. In fact, it will probably be that way for the remainder of the week... all this at the same time my 'phone is really ringing with a variety of more interesting private gigs. Never fails.

We saw "Guys and Dolls" on Friday night. It was fun, the costumes and the sets were terrific, but the story didn't really jazz me. This season has been a bit of bust but I suppose that's to be expected every few years. Still, it's a night out. We have a dinner date tonight, too.

The helpmeet helped me limb up the oak tree to the left of the privacy fence that supports the climbing hydrangea. It should allow more sun to the increasingly shaded terrace and allow the Magnolia to grow more evenly. I have not yet broached the subject of removing the oak tree altogether as that might just put him over the edge. ;)

OK, time to get a few chores out of the way, fill my face, and twiddle my thumbs until it's time to leave for the land o' chaos.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Updates...
    {{gwi:167565}}

{{gwi:167566}}

{{gwi:167568}}

{{gwi:167569}}

Off on a day trip.
    Barely keeping up but worried about chickens and delighted by Deanne's pond critters!

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Mr baby - good to see you again!! You are beautiful.

Two of the quail returned to the pen yesterday evening which I'd left open with food and water. I secured them in for the night but can't for the life of me figure out how they escaped. I can hear the others calling - perhaps it is just a matter of time.

Deanne - what a lovely addition to your already lovely pond. And wonderful to see the side garden again. Dead-heading in there was such a treat - you could charge people for the experience:0)

I just finished one of those projects that qualifies me either as a good Mum or a total nutcase. We have two new pets bought with David's pet sitting money - Templeton and Basil. You can probably guess what they are from their names though I wonder if anyone else knows where Basil came from? David begged me to make them a hammock and I just whippped up a nifty one out of old jeans. Sue - do you think Grill Mouse would like a mini version?

Just incase anyone was interested here is a link with instructions and other fun toys you can make at home. LOL!

Mary
    (nutcase I think)

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

GB - what fun pictures from you too. Skylar is a horseman? Everyone looks as though they are having a great time. We play lots of croquet here too - it really unites all the generations and is a favorite with neighbors.

Mary

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I am so behind on this thread!
    I hope all of the IU6 folks are getting rested up ...and espacially the hostesses.
    And I espacially hope Saucy's back is okay.

Marie, I love the family pics. Ivy gets more adorable every time I see pics of her. I like the pic of Skyler reading the book. Looks like a good choice.

Ugh! Saucy! A "huge dog mess", not what you needed with a bad back! Cat messes can be bad enough.

Wendy, Matthew's robots are amazing! Can he patent them? Do you mean anyone can make them from the programs on the lego forum? That IS amazing! What next? !! I sure do not envy you the job of cleaning out the turtle tank.

Awwww, Mary. I do hope the quail come back. That is sad.

Kathy, Aiden is so cute. He is a little blondy like our son was. (Ours is still quite blond.)

Deanne, what neat gift ornaments to find in your garden. The upper frog looks very real.
    Just as I figured, your side garden is just as perfect as all the rest.

Kathy, LOL on the retreating kitties. Ours always did that when our GDs came, but now that they are larger , and calmer, the cats have accepted them.

Chelone, Liatris grow in the wild here, and reseed readily. We have 3 or 4 differant varieties.

Okay, I think I am pretty well caught up....

Marian

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

Wow! I'm so behind here...been busy dreaming away on the IU threads! :-)

Mary glad to hear some of the quail have returned...I hope they all return soon!

Thank you all for the nice words about my garden. :-) Thank goodness it's been a fairly nice gardening season weather-wise. I felt pretty down about how behind I am in all the gardening chores...but you guys inspired me with your nice words to get out there and get busy. I worked on the north garden on Saturday & Sunday we were out all day. I did a little more clean up this morning, but now it is raining. I am not complaining, however, I am always grateful when Mother Nature waters my garden! :-)

Kathy...LOL! You cracked me up about Mr. Baby...I'm sure he adores Grandma. And what a cutey patutey!

I can see special times going on at Bug's place and omigosh...that last picture of lovely little Ivy is irresistable! What an adorable smile!

Deanne...aren't the Idylls...the neatest people? How fun that someone left you that sweet surprise. They look great in your pond!

Michelle...hope you have recovered? Sorry to hear about the reoccurring shingles. I too can't wait to hear about your garden award...how exciting and how well deserved! Please tell us all about it when you get back; okay? :-)

Wendy the robot is very cool! I was at an Art show last week and there was an artist who did mixed metals and had made a bee with antique bundt pans, and old oil can, antique funnel, etc. It was the most charming thing and I wanted it very badly...but couldn't bring myself to spend the money right now. I know its not the same thing as your son makes, but really reminded me of it! The artist does make robots too, but I especially love his insects and nature mixed metal stuff...maybe you can talk your son into making you a little garden sculpture? ;-) He did an awesome job with his robot.

I've added a few links so you can see this artist's stuff...unfortunately the bee I want isn't on his website.

I have lots more I want to talk about, but the rain has stopped for now and I need to get back out in the garden...

TTYL! Eileen

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Like others here, I am hopelessly behind on commenting. The computer is up again, it completely crashed and is empty except for XP, but my photos will be installed later. Thanks be to computer-talented nephews. That said...

The Idyll reunion photos are breathtaking. I especially love the ones from the Idyll homes. I've enjoyed them so much.

I've got an orange & white garden area stuck in my mind after seeing 'bug's photo of hers. Adding that to the fall project list.

We've been so dry here lately, all of July, in fact, and things are sort of blah. Keeping busy with work and family functions, though, so I don't have time to lament all the dryness.

Loving the Idyll DGC. Ivy and Aiden are adorable and growing up fast.

Thanks to all the photographers who have been so generous with their reunion photos. It lets us all share in your fun. So glad it went well and you had such a great time.

Anita

• denisez10
    14 years ago

I agree with Anita and other posters, that the photos have been so much fun. While in the PNW on the family vaca, I managed to inveigle myself into one day of a Northwest Horticultural Society's tour of some amazing Portland gardens, and when I reached for my camera before boarding the bus had the sinking realization that I'd left my chip in the computer at home, and it was too early in the morning to buy a chip, so it was board the bus without a camera or not go at all. Portland had record-breaking heat that day in the low 100s, and we ended the tour at Cistus Nursery, which was a steambath...almost too hot to shop for plants! The NHS group were wonderful -- gardeners all come from the same tribe. The NHS group were returning to Seattle with an astonishing amount of plants to cram into that bus. I was thinking if everyone took a seat, then if the plants were passed hand to hand to the back of the bus and the center aisle filled up, they just might fit them all. I've been thinking about growing tetrapanax for some time, and this trip cinched the deal. I expect it will reach monster proportions here, and it does travel at the root quite a bit. Another one I've had my eye on, dichroa, an evergreen hydrangea-ish shrub, was growing in Lucy Hardiman's garden, so I got to see a mature specimen, and best luck was Cistus had it in stock.

On the way to the Portland airport to drop off some family who flew in, the teenagers wanted to stop at Voodoo Donuts. The maple bars draped in -- not a typo -- bacon are a huge hit. And of course the little man donuts in the shape of voodoo dolls. No, I didn't have a taste. That way lies madness...

We just got back late Sat night, time enough to count cats (still four) and tuck in. My neighbor Holly has ripped out the grass in her front yard and we're going to get her some sort of garden before she goes back to work in Sept. She has an Unsinkable Molly Brown streak, so we just may succeed.

Stopped by my folks today with a bunch of lilies, Stargazer and another kind, which dazzled them -- "Ooh, what kind of flowers are those?" No gardeners in my family...

Ivy, Aiden, Indigo, lots of fun stuff happening, and Michelle the recipient of a "major award" too. Ei's garden is stunning. Quick wave to all, and don't stop with the photos!

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

So much to comment on I'm not going to be able to cover it all. I seem to be exhausted for some reason. I do love the babies and family happenings. The IUVI pictures have been great. Such lovely gardens. Both public and private.

Serete surprises and awards too. You guys all make my day.

I have been doing summer clean up in the garden and the grandsons have been here several days and will be back this weekend. We picked more berries for jelly. Jake helped me make a batch and raved about how good it was. He was interested in the whole process.

It got hot here today and I'm thinking we may have to turn the air on to get a good nights sleep. Which I need.

Ei thanks for posting your garden pictures for me. I like your style.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I e-mailed the garden center today with a list of needs- I fear that this late in the season I might have limited success procuring them. I am rethinking more than one area in the garden.

Nice to see some of the recently absent check in; Denise and Anita, and where has Julie been ? The JJs must have piled up in her absence.

I must say Mary, you have outdone yourself in outfitting Templeton and Basil in luxurious digs. Maybe grill mouse would move to more convenient quarters if Sue rigged him up a hammock. As far as Basil goes Im having a Monty Python thought, but that doesnt seem quite right . One hopes it has nothing to do with Benny Hill.

Lovely shots of the family bug !

Ei, I have not commented yet on your lovely pics posted a few day s ago, and I finally had the chance to view them more closely this evening. I had snow fairy on my list but had to sub Worster Gold as SF was out of stock at the time. I love your blue/white combinations with the glimpse of pink in the distance, and everything is framed nicely by the trees and shrubs in the background. Very nice !

Marian, more Zinnias are always welcome, especially when they are a bargain ! I felt that I was too conservative last winter in the quantity of seed I started, and have made notes to double itI still have seed leftover .

Sleep tight Norma- hope you get the needed shut-eye

Hi to all, Im going to put together a slideshow for the awfice as they all want to see photos of my tripBuenos noches my friends ..

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Good morning all,

We are in for a summer day, temps to 90 or so. I think this will be the first day at these temps since April. What a strange summer.

Mary, you are a scream! Hammocks for the mice?! Yikes! (Rahjii would make short work of them)

Kathy, that side garden faces east so gets morning sunshine.

Marian, the top frog in the pic IS a real frog! LOL

Love the link Eileen I cant get over the prices for that sculpture.

Anita, glad your computer is up and running.

Denise, what a bummer about not having the memory card with you. Wish youd had it so we could see glimpses of those gardens. ~~ the Voodoo Donuts is a hoot!

OK Im off to the gardens while the temps are still reasonable. Have a great day all.

Deanne

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Close Kathy - Faulty Towers with John Cleese, a family favorite. This morning when I came into the mud room I found the cage empty - eek!! Close inspection showed there to be a hole in the mesh just big enough to squeeze through. Rodents in a cage are one thing, but two rats roaming the house quite another. Fortunately they had not strayed far - they were both tucked up under the futon. The pair were escorted back to their quarters and the hole plugged. Perhaps I should make them a mini futon.....

Denise - Voodoo donuts look amazing. Just as well they aren't gluten free - I can admire them without temptation.

Marian - there can never be too many Zinnias can there?

Ei - did I mention how lovely your gardens are looking? I picked up a Snow Fairy at one of the Idyllunions and it has become a favorite. Very late to leaf out but stunning around this time of year. I had a few all greeen shoots this summer I had to trim off - has any of yours reverted?

Deanne - hot and sticky here but only low 80's. Stay cool. I have had so much fun looking at wool and choosing a Crewel pattern to try. If it storms today I hope to make it to the fabric store for linen.

Hi Norma!! and Anita!!

Off to the garden.

Mary

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Finally starting to get back to reality for me, but it's tough.... I did upload a bunch of photos from IU and ordered my hardcopies for trips down memory lane in future years but havent done much in my own yard what w/ rain, etc.,, and the dog days of August are now upon the region...

I loved seeing your gardens, Ei, in full swing - the're glorious as usual and you've made a lot of changes - but I think change is constant in our gardens isnt it, LOL?

Cant wait to hear what award Michelle has rightfully gotten -- but the prize of "shingles again" is not one I would wish on anyone! Geez, I hope you got your meds in time; Im seriously starting to think I want to try the vaccine for them....

Great to see the latest uploads of the various grand-babes... and sideyard gardens....

When I get a chance, I hope to look over the IU threads to see if there are a few things I could add, altho I hope most have been covered by now - but some of the places one could never take too many photos or vignettes.

O, and the one private garden in VT I saw is definitely worthy of sharing -- gorgeous setting and a 90 yr old widower still lovingly attending it 5 hours a day -- something to aspire to.

Denise -- glad to hear you got some gardens in in Portland despite family commitments, but sad you didnt have your camera with you - I guess we'll just have to go there ourselves...

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Gonna close this puppy out..time for a new thread !

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner