Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

In the sunny garden this morning...

Today is Canada Day here and it's shaping up to be brilliantly sunny and hot. So we did walkies early and I took some pictures when we got back.

The iron arbour is looking - and smelling - very nice at the moment. I'm pretty sure the honeysuckle is the dreaded Hall's (started from cuttings from a vine outside a store in Niagara-on-the-Lake a few years ago...) I have considered removing it but have not go around to it. We keep it clipped close to the arbour which makes it flower very densely. One side died out two years ago and the replacement cutting is just starting to fill in, so the growth looks a bit lopsided at the moment. I have no idea what the clematis on the left is! It's more purple than it appears in the picture because the color washed out in the sun:

{{gwi:27783}}

We've started to prune the Viburnum at the corner of the garage near/beside the arbour so it forms another arch over the grass path that runs between the garage and the arbour/back of the front bed. You can see gb's influence all over this picture - and most of the pictures on this thread! :-)

{{gwi:167602}}

This one is looking across the front bed towards the road from about halfway along the grass path by the garage. So far, only the Rouge Cardinal is putting out much growth on the tuteur:

{{gwi:167603}}

I had thought the Niobe clematis that used to be on the iron arbour had disappeared this year. But a few days ago, this appeared on the back of the arbour:

{{gwi:167604}}

Nike continues to be superb at the end of the garage wall.

The neighbour to the north loves it too - they get a good view of it from their driveway.

{{gwi:167605}}

On the driveway, the big pots of beans are just barely starting to climb on the poles. In about 10 days they will have made it all the way to the top of the 8' poles. Beans need heat to really get moving!

{{gwi:167606}}

The peas, on the other hand, need cooler temperatures. The 9 pots of peas have been cropping very well. The earliest pot is done now but the later maturing varieties are still producing well. Here is a couple in front of the angel roses:

{{gwi:167607}}

I had forgotten that I planted a clematis to grow through the angel roses. I'm not sure what it is (lost tag again...) but I'm sure it was one that gb had recommended....

{{gwi:167608}}

On the other side of the driveway, we removed a big pink shrub rose last spring and planted a hydrangea with a Piilu to grow into it. Piilu just started blooming this morning:

{{gwi:167609}}

Checking out the south gate and swag... I'm not sure which this is blooming on the side panel of the gate arbour:

{{gwi:167610}}

Inside the gate on the house side, there's something very vigorous that is doing a good job of covering the swag chains. It's got buds but isn't blooming yet:

{{gwi:167611}}

The swag is looking good on the house side where it is more sunny. On the fence side the conditions are quite shady until things reach the top of the swag. So there's definitely less growth on that side at this point but I think the clematis on that side will eventually do OK too.

At the end of the swag on the house side, Galore looks like it will love up to its name! The Rose of Sharon grows into the swag chains along there too and Galore is using it as a climbing frame:

{{gwi:167612}}

gb - you're a wicked enabler! :-)

Comments (8)

• gardenbug
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Guilty as charged. I too love Galore. Could the clematis in the angel roses be Emelia Plater? That's a very good one too.

Yesterday was DS's birthday. He's sick, in Haiti. Oh brother....
    Today is my brother's birthday. A busy time of year.

Phoebe enjoys lying in the shade watching for red squirrels and chipmunks.
    DH saw a LARGE snapping turtle dive into the pond.
    I'm off to do some weeding behind the garage where I'm hoping for a bit of shade. What a way to celebrate Canada Day! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Today's clematis

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gb - I've been wondering what the state of the arbour/pergola structure in your vegetable garden is this year. The clematises on that must be big enough now to be putting on a good show...? Can you post some pictures of that please? (I like to see pictures of the clematises in the bed - or whatever - where they are located. I find that more interesting (because it gives me more ideas...) than just close-ups of the flowers.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Photos at this stage are quite useless because the early stages consist of dark purples that do not show up.

Several clematis are at the top of the arbor scrambling about. They are all difficult to control...so many are left to their own devices.

There is much weeding and watering, feeding and other work to be done there, which is a primary reason for my delay. There is usually a reason why photographers enjoy taking macro shots! As one friends says, "Believe me, you'd rather see details than the whole jungle."

I'll try for a photo for you tomorrow. Tonight I must finish some weeding behind the garage.

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Woody, things are looking mighty fine there !I always feel like summer is here when you post photos of your peas ! Here in Napa, peas are a winter crop-planted in fall and harvested in early spring.

Is Piilu an integrifolia ? I was really taken with Juuli when I saw it at Pennys last week.

Looking forward to continued updates ...

Kathy in Napa

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy - I've never had any luck with integrifolias that I've tried. Piilu is a group 2 of some sort. COTW says the first flowers are supposed to be double and the later ones single. It looks like mine are all single at this point. So either I have another mislabeled plant or perhaps they are single because this is their first year blooming (?) or maybe some will be double once they fully open. From what I can see so far they do look like the single Piilu flowers on COTW...

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

You have the correct plant Woody. In our climate you will normally only see single blooms. You might get a double one year though...

Kathy, I too am a fan of Juuli! I have three growing with foxgloves.
    Juuli- June 2010
    {{gwi:167613}}

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

The clematis seem to really do well in your garden. They are all so pretty.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Woody, everything is so beautiful! I especially like the clematis climbing through the rose. I always like that combo!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA