Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idyll#449- Silent Magic

Posted by gardenbug Canada zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 16, 09 at 11:47

They may be neglected, they may be enormous work, but our gardens really are silent magic. They can produce surprises, they can be therapeutic, they always produce stories.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll#449- Silent Magic

Happy Birthday Michelle !

From Roses 2009

Enjoy Your Day !

Kathy in Napa

o

Happy Birthday Michelle! (again)

I cannot get PT to post the pic so I will just have to settle for the link :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Thanks gals for all the lovely pictures. What a wonderful display of the "silent magic" from each of your gardens.

Michelle

o

Happy birthday, Michelle!
Photobucket

o

Okay, Denise, how did you get that very cool picture? I love it!

Just finished up at the Farmer's Market...we doubled what we sold last week! I am a great sales person for plants...I can talk plants all day!

GB, your place is looking lovely these days, and I like your rock work around the bridge.

I like silent magic. It is true - except when Sarah has joined me in the garden. That girl can talk these days....

I'm beat so I'm going to hop in the shower and get ready for a book.

Saucy

o

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Hot here today and the longer range seasonal forecast is supposedly for summer heat to finally arrive. The shorter range local forecast keeps changing by the hour so it's hard to guess what the weather will be in a day or two!

I desperately need to do some weeding, deadheading and path mulching (ran out of mulch before the path to the south gate was refreshed - you can notice it in the b'day picture above!) I would like things to be a bit more under control for special garden showing on Saturday... :-)

The new bed has been filling in nicely. The south part:
The north part (except I didn't get the Japanese wisteria at the end of the bed in the picture...):

The Chinese wisteria has just started its summer bloom. It doesn't seem to be producing as many flowers this summer. You can't see many in this picture:

The rose swag has just about finished blooming. I'm hoping for a second flush later in the summer. I'm trying to deadhead it as much as possible in hopes that it will encourage more new buds.

Summer seems to be passing very quickly this year.

Evening walkies had a bit of excitement tonight. A little Boston bulldog ran out at Liam and was quite determined to try to take a piece out of him! Fortunately its owner managed to grab it before it suceeded. I was a bit further up the street with Misty so I stayed back in hopes that it wouldn't notice Misty and take a run at her. Most dogs see Liam and fall in love :-) That's the first one that failed to fall under his charm - it came at him so fast with no preliminary inspection/attempt to get acquainted. It's been in the neighbourhood for a couple of years and has always looked feisty and not too sociable but we certainly didn't expect it to be so aggressive if it got loose. Perhaps it is just upset at the moment - they tore down their house early in the winter and the new one is almost ready to move into. They've been in temporary accomodation for a few months so things have probably been a bit chaotic for the dog. But we'll be a lot warier of it now!

o

Happy Birthday Michelle!

And I think I missed one last week -

Happy Birthday Eden!

V.

o

Posted this on the wrong thread, so here it is again..

Good evening Friends, temps have cooled off here, but three days of above 90 temps did not do the garden any favors. Things are just growing like mad, but so dry the best feature is the Dahlias which continue to pump out flowers in spite of the heat. And the lilies ! The Asiatics and trumpets are done, and now the Orientals are opening- So beautiful ! I am taking photos and will post this weekend. I really need to plant more, I enjoy them so much. Its a crap-shoot though, I always get some that just dont do well here.

bug, I love your Tydll and the sentiments behind it. It made me think about how I cherish the early mornings in the garden-when you have close neighbors the mornings are the quiet time, as I seem to be the earliest riser in the neighborhood.

Woody, your garden just looks beautiful ! The new bed is really filling in nicely and I think you really hit the spot on the design . You must get a tremendous amount of satisfaction out of it.

V, you have got the camera down pat I think- we are going to be expecting some pretty nice contributions form you on the IU threads. Ive decided to take my laptop along so I can post here from the road.

Lol Julie, hopefully Tucker did not escape after eating the windowsill and head over to Woodys to challenge Liam to a duel !

All for me tonight, Im going to watch the baseball game and do WALATs during the commercials.

Check in Martie ?
Wheres Anita ?

Kathy in Napa

o

I was up much too late last night chatting with a friend who joined us for dinner following an all-day riding clinic. She opted to "sleep over" and will likely be back tonight, too. ;)

Today is my final day at work and I am not quite counting the seconds but am perilously close to doing just that. Very muggy this morning and there is a veil of mist rolling by the windows. Not sure if it's going to burn off later this morning or hang around all day. Perfect for slugs and mosquitos.

Lots ahead of me this weekend so I have to get the day started... Happy Birthday, Michelle (wish I could put my fingers on a salamander picture).

o

Good morning....

Didn't want to miss Michelle's BD....still no camera.

Hope you have/had a wonderful day. How did you celebrate?

o

o

Happy Birthday, Jerri! May it be a wonderful, delightful one, friend.

(ya gotta ignore the stake in the center of the lilies -- nothing is implied, LOL - just poor photographer skills...). (altho I do recall you & I are Buffy fans...)
--Cindy

o

• Posted by jak1 4 Ontario Can (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 9:40

Tucker is one of those Bostons who runs out like gangbusters too,no sniffng or anything, just jumps right onto his unsuspecting playmte to be. He sounds like a potbellied pig too. He is very unagressive just overjoyed to see one of his own species. But it is downright scary for the intended buddy's owners for sure. As he is 24 pounds of muscle, I walk him without Ajax so I can be free to just pick him up if things look like they might get dicey. I have been working with him to
act a little calmer when he sees another dog, and it is slowly paying off. At least he doesn't try to go right though the front window when another dog walks by anymore. Also he managed to quietly meet a poodle mix without incident this week. I have to say, Saucy, that there are folks around here who give us a wide berth too.

It's Jerri's birthday too? Aren't we a summery bunch.

Happy birthday Jerri!

Cheers,

Julie

o

Oh Jerri, I'd love to get together for a birthday party, but I didn't get an invitation!
Hope you get treats on your birthday, I did!
Love,
Phoebe

o

Happy birthdays, Phoebe and Jerri!

In keeping with the dog theme, Mitch is watching my neighbor Holly's house for two weeks, but I keep stealing the key to check on the plants, since Mitch's eye for those sorts of details is definitely farsighted ;) But also to visit with Bella, Holly's German shepherd, who is the most self-reliant beast, so at home in her backyard domain. I suppose she's used to Holly working long days. Bella never whines or barks, has lots of spots she moves to as the sun/shade changes throughout the day, along with her big fluffy bed on the deck under the grape arbor. She graciously allows sparrows to peck at the bits in her food bowl. Birds zoom in to visit the bird baths and hop around by her paws. She is joyful to see me but never does the "Please don't leave me!" when you go. Just like visiting a good friend, she shows you around her garden, brings several toys in case you feel like a good play, then will lay down quietly at your feet for a few minutes but eventually will get up to go to one of her secret spots. She is a treasure, so I sneak off to visit with her several times a day. And...Holly's old bungalow has the original Murphy bed and heavy pocket door, and I intend to get a photo eventually for Ei. I haven't seen a dog douse their paws in their water bowl like Bella does since our newfs Pamela & Toby, but when I turn the hose on to water she slinks off, no interest at all in getting wet.

Duncan has run 30 miles this week, which was the start of his vaca after finishing summer session. Last seen, he had his feet in a bucket of ice...

Yesterday was the first official day of my vaca, tho I did have to deliver a stat transcript request, which prompted a visit to the Pasadena Smith & Hawken nearby, where I drove around lost for about 30 minutes. It's less and less frequent that I lose my bearings but still happens and is so frustrating. It's like the S&H store was snatched by aliens overnight. Been there many times, know exactly how to get there, but poof, it was gone yesterday, along with the street it was located on. In my wanderings, I circled around the Castle Green a few times and made a mental note to attend the next historical tour they give. Also found a good nursery which had Leycestria formosa 'Golden Lanterns,' a plant I've been wanting for sometime. If I wasn't so worried the car would blow up in city traffic in the 97 deg heat, getting lost would be almost fun.

(10-minute recess)

I hope Ei stops by today.

Pocket door:

Photobucket

Murphy bed:

Photobucket

Murphy bed open -- see how design elements turn into the feet of the bed:

Photobucket

Now to stop skylarking and make the day count for something!
Saucy, I took that photo in June and have no idea how I did it...the pot sat on a table backed by the dark blue fence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Castle Green - Pasadena

o

Gerry, again, I'm sorry I have no camera right now, but I saw this neat photo of a Calla Lily on NG....I hope you have a great Birthday! :-)

o

Hope you are having a great day Jerri! Just think last year you spent your birthday with us! What fun that was.

Deanne

o

(I hope any birthday blues are as mild as Blue!)

Julie - we had a lot of doubts that the Boston Bulldog we encountered yesterday had Tucker's benign intentions! Usually dogs are good at interpreting other dog's intentions - when Misty is acting like a lunatic when meeting a new dog, the other dog's body language invariably is saying that it is interpreting Misty's 'sound and fury' as a play invitation. But Liam had his tail tightly tucked between his legs and was clearly only interested in getting as far away as he could! This morning's dog encounter was much more positive. On our way to the highschool playing field for a bout of Frisbee, we ran into Tess and her owner. Tess is the Collie Liam charmed last week. So Tess and Liam had a ball chasing each other and the Frisbee this morning. (Liam was not gallant - he seemed to be more interested in the Frisbee than Tess; Tess was more interested in Liam and Misty than the Frisbee...)

Denise - it sounds like you have a very nice canine neighbour. And the house interior looks great from those pictures! I've never seen a 'real' Murphy bed either so that was very interesting. We used a lot of pocket doors here and that turned out to be a problem. The contractor didn't seal the top of the door channel properly so the 'pocket' became a conduit to allow warm air into the attic in the winter, which caused all sorts of problems! But I love the pocket doors and would do them again if we ever did another house - but now I know what to check on to make sure they are done properly.

It's been raining off and on here today so I haven't been able to get out to do the garden things I wanted to. Tomorrow's forecast is looking iffy too so I've got my fingers crossed and am hopping the forecast is wrong.

o

Saturday in our area:
Cloudy with sunny periods. 40 percent chance of showers late in the day. High 66F. UV index 6 or high.

As for NOW, we just had the loudest thunder I've ever heard. Am I still alive? I wonder!!!!! It truly surprised me as I was tying up delphiniums. I also wonder if the air show is taking place at the islands near Toronto. Some strange small planes have been flying overhead, some in pairs, and very loud and fast. Poor Phoebe just threw up. I wonder if she just ate too much (sometimes DH and i both feed her and don't realize it) or if she was nervous about the sounds and weather. She is acting fine otherwise.

I planted two new coreopsis this morning. Then I aimed the sprinkler on them. That is no doubt why we have rain!

Well my suitcase is out, but I've not begun to pack yet. Julie really is super organized! I'm NOT. I wish I could bring my knitting on the plane. There's so much waiting and it would be perfect, but no, not allowed.

Is the workday finished Chelone??? I hope you get to have some fun this weekend!

Happy weekend to ALL!
Enjoy your gardens!
'bug

o

Happy Birthday Jerri.

This is weird...I cannot get any of my pics to open here! Oh well....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Happy Birthday Jerri !!

From Garden 2009

Thinking of you !

Kathy in Napa

o

Happy Birthday Michelle.

Happy Birthday Jerri.

The weather was great here today and I am getting an area worked on in the garden that has been unfinished for several years. It all started with DH saying I needed a red daylily there. Praise be! So off to the daylily farm I went yesterday. But many things needed fixed before I could plant it. I'm still not done but he was right a red daylily looks great there. Of course I bought several companions for it too. I am so happy to be getting that area cleaned up. The ground is working good too because it is dampish. Niki had a ball in the fresh dirt and playing under one of the grasses. I dug one Karly Rose grass out and have another to move too. They have been flopping a bit to much on that slope so I need to find a better spot for them.

We are to get pretty cool weather tonight for this time of year so sleeping should be good and I am ready.

I hope you all had a good day. Norma

o
RE: Idyll#449- Magic

Denise I loved the tour of the castle and the pics of the murphy bed and pocket door. I can remember seeing those in my childhood.

Enjoyed hearing about Bella too. Norma

o

Happy Birthday Michelle!

Happy Birthday Jerri!

Happy Birthday Phoebe!

Sorry I've been MIA, my PC is on the fritz, and I hate working on my son's laptop. That is, if I can even get my turn. But didn't want to miss any birthdays. Hope everyone is well, and I hope to be back soon. My nephew thinks the PC can be fixed...we'll see.

We are having beautiful Autumn weather here. Wait...it's mid July, isn't it?

Take care all,
Anita

o

We have four baby killdeers in our driveway right now. They are so cute; when they run off the gravel to get away from the car, they tumble upside down over blades of grass! Here's one of the little guys:

Happy Birthday Jerri!

V.

o

Sorry for the confusion...Phoebe's birthday is December 19-20, 2007. She just likes to party all the time. ;)

Super killdeer shot V!

o

o

Happy Friday everyone- trip prep begins in earnest this weekend; laundry, watering , and preliminary packing (would that be LWAPP ?) and in a week from now well be gathered at the compound to celebrate the special bond we share .. I truly wish each and every one of us could be there. Im going to haul the laptop with me and will try to be diligent about posting reports from the road.

Denise, thanks for posting the great photos of Castle Green, it sure is easy to forget how much architectural richness there is in Pasadena ..one of my friends and I used to love to go up there and just drive around looking at buildings in the late 60s. Will you go to Cistus this year ? I highly recommend Dancing Oaks, though it is a couple hours south of Portland in Monmouth . If I make it up there this year it will be in fall and I want to go to Joy Creek.

Norma, I almost thought you actually came home from the Daylily farm with only one plant- I was ready to comment on your resolve and discipline, but of course you are just like the rest of us , lol !

Hi Anita, glad you checked in. Computer issues are . Hope you get them resolved soon.

Not much more to add- Need to get back to the chores and listmaking ---

Onward !

Kathy in Napa

o

One of my college apartments had a Murphy bed in the dining room. Since it was a one bedroom and I had furniture and my roommate didn't I got the bedroom and she took the Murphy.

Cool weather here too. I don't believe I can remember ever wearing a jacket on my birthday.

The garden tour went well. 6 ladies who all were quite interested in everything. Afterwards we went to a local Mexican resturant for dinner and then stopped at the county fair. We watched the tractor pull for a bit and then checked out the livestock buildings and talked to friends we met along the way. I enjoy checking out the fancy chickens.

Chelone, I have a salamander living in one of the basement window wells. They are so slow moving they don't bother me, although I'd never want to actually touch one LOL

Thanks again for all the lovely pictures.

Night all
Michelle

o

Hello....

I guess it is too late to catch anyone up this late. I was going to post tomorrow morning, but I'm up. :-) I'm quite a bit behind. I have been enjoying everyone's photos and it looks like everyone is busy busy.

I have been very conscious of IU6 fast approaching and wishing that everything in my life would cooperate to allow me to join in. My digestive problems have worsened instead of getting better, despite diligently following doctor's orders. I seem to be a mystery. Today I spent a lot of time researching and have a new direction to try, so I will see what develops. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Kathy, I am looking forward to lily and dahlia photos this weekend. I have two lilies and no dahlias, so I can enjoy vicariously. I hope you are packing organic bug repellant. After all the rain in Maine, I can only imagine. [g]

Julie, did I see that you've taken photos of your garden? Hope you will post some here, I would love to see them. :-)

Marie, I am wondering about your rock collection by the side of the road. Is there a purpose for them?

Ei, I cringe every time I hear of a gardener moving only to have the new owners ripping everything out. I've never tried gooseberries. I love your great big bowl of blueberries. All those antioxidants! lol I have to agree with Marie, I've never grown blackberries, but I had a landscape professional give me some advice once and when I told him I thought I would like to grow blackberries, he said sure, if you want to pour concrete three feet deep on all sides of the patch. [g]

Norma, I was thinking the same thing about Ivy...her hair is looking lighter.

Marie, she is just so sweet and I really thought after that last photo you posted, that her name really fits her. She just looks like herself, even though she also reminds me so much of Reed.

I guess the discussion on first jobs has dwindled. How interesting some of your first job's were. I always wanted to work at the library, Chelone and the opportunity just never presented itself. Baskin Robbins and French restaurants sound like great first jobs. Of course, the Peace Corps had to be an amazing experience, Marie. I found it interesting that some of you worked in garden related jobs and with animals. Not surprising that Woody worked for a vet! :-) Milking cows, Marian. Neat. I don't think I could have stood your first job Kathy. [g] But I definitely would have enjoyed your second. I also love walking and learning a city and seeing all the sights. Didn't I see something recently about how hard a job detasseling corn is? I did somewhere but can't remember where.

I worked for my parents over the summer for my first job, learning bookeeping. I really enjoyed it. I loved going to work with my parents, it was a real bonding experience. I did very little babysitting and found it intimidating, having always been one of the babies in the family and having very permissive parents leaving me no clue how to deal with rowdy kids. That changed when I was married, I loved taking care of kids. I think I would have loved to be a teacher in elementary school. On my mother's side of the family there are many nurses and teachers.

I waitressed in a very busy place, with a boss that was a tyrant but who taught you the right way to do things, if you lasted. [g] He had a reputation for firing people their first week, if they didn't quit. I was shy but very stubborn and I stuck it out and learned a lot and made good money. He was about 5 ft tall, half bald with dark piercing eyes and he would stare at you up close and personal if you made a mistake and then start hollering at the top of his lungs. I laugh about it now. He was very surprised that I didn't quit. I stayed two years.

I worked for a publisher and a French Bakery. Before Au Bon Pain it was Vie de France. I worked in the office and put on twenty pounds over the course of a year. [g] They would send us home with leftover croissants every night. I took a course in French while I was working there and learned more in that year then all three years I took it in school. I have an awful accent and remember very little now, but I picked up enough to get by at the time. I love the sound of the language.

Well, I have to end here, I've talked too long. I haven't been able to catch up with everyone still, but definitely over the weekend.

Happy Friday, even though it's Saturday already. [g]

pm2

o

Jerri, I am still awake and decided to read more of this thread and I see I misspelled your name!! I'm so sorry! I knew it was J and not G, but I was rushing and not paying attention. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. I try to get away without reviewing my posts before I post them and I have to cut that out. :-) Hope you will stop back in and catch us up on what's been going on with you. :-)

o

I have been enjoying the 'silent' part of silent magic this morning. It is a special still time before 6am with no truck or people sounds. In fact though, it isn't silent. There is chirping and cat nonsense going on. Out my study window are bats, which means mosquitoes are there. It is an intense green after yesterday's showers. Happy weekend and happy LWAPP-ing, though in my case it will only be LAPP-ing.

o

I wonder if I should pack both summer and winter clothes , as though were going to Oregon, where duo-packing is always required. I am monitoring NE temps closely.

The dilemma this morning is how to allot time to garden activities , while still doing useful chores. If I dont go to the grocery store I will have a severe shortage of food. Not to mention cheap wine.Deadheading is badly needed. Kitchen is untidy. Travel documents need to be assembled.

Time to make a list

Kathy in Napa

o

I'm working at a furious pace trying to finish up getting the gardens polished up for our visit but I'm afraid things will fall short of where want them. Never mind getting the house cleaned! I guess I won't have all sparkly clean windows like I'd planned. LOL but I figure that as long as the guest room sheets are clean and the bathrooms are polished the rest will take care of itself. I'll run a vaccuum around on Wednesday and pick up the chunks and call it done.

As usual there are some lovely things going on in the gardens and some hopeless messes that I won't be able too do anything aboout. Le sigh! The slugs have made mincemeat out of my Hosta 'Lemon Lime' against the back of the house and short of shearing them all back I can't disguise all the holes in the leaves. On the positive front the four large brugmansias will all have flowers for our IU get together here. Cool! Also, the Orienpet lilies 'Taragonna' are all budded up and will be open for Thursday. They are the most deiciously fragrant lily and gorgeous as well. I'm so pleased that they'll be doing their thing when the Idyllers are here.

OK I was just taking a short break from the humidity, it's brutal out there today with the humidity around 90% and the temps going to 86 it feels like a steam bath.

Have a great day all and I surely wish everyone were going to be able to join us for the festivities next week.
Deanne

o

Ahhhh! What gorgeous weather! It was 55F for a low last night....64F indoors. At 11 it is 69F. I good live with this all year! Of course I would want an occasional nice rain. Between the above, and my improved condition, I got some long needed cleaning done beneath part of my kitchen cabinets this morning. Feels good!

Deanne, if I were going to your house, I would be comfortable with it less sterilized. :-) I like the 'lived in' look.
As I said on Facebook, I am so envious of all who are going to the get-to-gether. I would love to meet you all. I would really love to see Chelone's 'compound' and surroundings, espacially the ocean. Maybe someday.....

Speaking of Facebook...I am so pleased with all the contacts that I have made, and am still making...It is sort of like a reunion in it's self.

Marian

o

6 a.m. to 8 a.m. on a Saturday is as silent as it will get, a prized interlude. Fun to read as the packing and travel plans begin in earnest. I've clamped an oscillating sprinkler to the top middle of the pergola, set by a timer, and I'm sad to say it will cover the entire back garden while we're gone...it's that tiny! As a rehearsal, we've set it to 10 mins at 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., and it's such a revelation to see the luxuriant effects of steady moisture mid summer. The Cobaea scandens has reached the tops of the tripods and budded. I think there's 5 cobaeas in various spots, and they just may do a kudzu number and be all that's visible by the time I get back. Ein will drive up with us, but the cats hate these deviations from their routine. Holly will look after them when she returns.

Woody, I do remember you mentioning how the pocket doors allowed heat to escape in context of that mega insulation job you did. What a beautiful photo of Blue.

PM, I am sorry to hear you're not well enough to attend the IU this year, but there will be others, and it's most important that you nail down what's ailing you and feel better.

Kathy, I'd like to get to Cistus but not sure if it's possible. There will be some airport ferrying and other logistics to coordinate and, you might not believe this, but some people don't see plant nurseries as the star destination attraction that we do! One good thing about this family vaca is it will probably be the last of its size and ambition -- so many hurt feelings, last minute additions, cancellations, in other words, family stuff!

What vivid images of Norma and Niki gardening together.

Glad you dodged the Murphy bed in college, Michelle!

Had my first bath last night and rigged some old curtains with clothes pins and rope until I get some shades made. Out of my great grandmother's cedar chest I found these old curtains that were hung in the boys' room they shared ages 1 & 5 (Mitch being the older.) Just cedar wood and fabric, but what an emotional wallop "stuff" carries. Made the water way too hot -- I'm out of practice ;)

Photobucket

Was it 'bug who posted the coreopsis? The Full Moon coreopsis is in bloom now, a tad floppish, but Moonbeam never grows for me, so maybe this hybrid is the answer. Would probably respond to cutback late May to lessen floppiness. Photo left large to check out the leaves.

Photobucket

One of my favorite aeoniums, great for spilling out of urns. I think this is balsamiferum.

Photobucket
To the travelers, have a wonderful time, take lots of photos. Warm thanks to all the hosts/hostesses along the Northeastern Seaboard. So very, very generous of you. The cool, wet weather may have set some stuff back and emboldened the slugs, but the perennials should be glorious, and the company will certainly be excellent! So glad the brugs will be in bloom, Deanne.

o

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes and photos. You guys have outdone yourselves! Flowers and doggies too, it doesn't get any better. :)
I had a great birthday. Italian Creme cake at work, then dinner out with DH and friends. To top it off, the weather has cooled off so I can enjoy the weekend.
Have a great weekend!

Jerri

o

It came down in buckets for about a half hour during the night so nothing needs watering today. The sun has come out for brief appearances, and it's quite muggy. Pretty typical July weather.

Woody, your new bed is really filling in. Looks great! What are the plants along the front there? I feel like we've barely had a summer here, too. I'm glad that Misty and Liam are ok after their near miss. Btw, I've been meaning to say, that photo of Blue is really one of your best. In front of the blue flowers was a nice touch too. He is handsome.

So many pet stories I've been enjoying reading about. Never did hear if Chelone's cat came home. Hope Phoebe is feeling better. Hope Denise's cats weather their trip ok and that Julie's dog stops chewing windowsills. I'm sure I missed someone, but hopeless to go back and find it.

Anita, PC woes are no fun, we've missed you around here. :-)

V....such a cute bird! And your butterfly weed and coneflower are so cheerful.

Michelle...sounds like you had a pretty nice birthday. I must have missed something, did you give a tour of your garden?

Norma, I hope you will share photos of your new area when it is finished. I added a Karley Rose Grass last year. It was just a plug so it is doing very well so far this year. It's in full sun. Now that I see how large it is getting in one season, I think I am going to have to move it where it has more room.

Denise that Murphy Bed is very unique. I've never seen one done quite that way. I must have missed your explanation of your family vacation time. Sounds a little stressful so far. [g] I hope you all manage to have a wonderful time any way. Your new 'spa' is perfect! Is that a new tub or did you find an old one? It is really coming along. Dragging stuff out of the attic always has emotion attached for me too.

Deanne, sounds like you are being very practical and as detail oriented as you are, I think it's great that you don't let it get to you, when you can't get it all done the way you want it. I hope you get a breather before company arrives and that you can relax and enjoy it.

Well, I imagine everyone is very busy today trying to get everything ready for their trip. I am wondering if anyone is going to be hanging around Idyll this week at all? I have just discussed with DH and we have made a final decision that we just won't be able to come. I'm disappointed, but there's always next year. Wish we were all going, too! I'm sorry I won't get to meet all of you or get to see Deanne's garden and Chelone's salon! Boo Hoo! Sniffle, sniffle. I know it will be hard but please try to have a great time without us. ;-) Have a Won - Der - Ful Time!! Great weather too. :-)

pm2

o

AARRGH! I just lost a long post! Lets try this again....

It was a nice cool day here today - a perfect day for visitors. The forecast 30% chance of rain didn't happen so a lively bout of Frisbee in the schoolyard was the first order of business:
Misty was very happy to have both her friend Phoebe and her friend Liam here today:

Back at the house, Phobe played kissy-face with her mommy:
while her daddy played guitar:

Dinner was Moroccan style grilled chicken (with a few Tandoori style legs thrown in too):
with quinoa:
and sweet potato pudding:
Panzanella went well with it:
(I'm embarassed by that cookie sheet! I've had it since university days and things have been burnt on it often enough that it is now permanently charred!)

We didn't take any pictures of dessert. It was a mix of blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries served over lemon sherbet with lemon walnut biscotti on the side.

Misty was happy but tired by having two big buddies for company and retired to bed early:

o
RE: Idyll#449- Silent Magic - addendum

PM - I forgot to answer your question re what's in the new bed. A lot of stuff! :-)
Itea 'Little Henry'
'Sixteen candles' sweetspire
'September Charm' anemone
'Crimson Curls' heuchera
'Rozanne geranium + a dark-leafed one whose name I can't remember!
'Heronswood Ruby' Helianthemum
'White Clips' campanula
'Pink Beauty' potentilla shrubs
'Silver Mound' artemesia
some creeping baby's breath
some purple coneflowers
some pale pink Pinks
a supposedly pink daylily that is more peach than pink!
a seedling hardy hibiscus from seeds collected from my pale pink ones

There's probably something else there too but I can't think of it right now - but you get the idea that I plant lots of things in a bed! :-) The idea is that the bed is predominantly pink with some silver/white and someblue to carry on the 'pretty in pink' theme of the driveway border (which this bed is an extension of) while picking up on the blue and white and silver in the main bed behind it.

o

Phoebe looks like she's having a blast! I love to see dogs in a full run (as long as its not towards me, lol). Woody, I have the matching cookie sheet at my house :) Dinner looks scrumptuous - I'm intrigued by the sweet potato pudding!

It is nice and cool here this morning....it was hot yesterday. I worked outside moving mulch (what else?) and doing other things on the "to do" list. I lost a big part of my driveway garden to an accidental "spill" of refrigerant - the guys were moving an old refrigerator and pinched the line which caused it to leak. The gas was heavier than air and laid like a blanket over my garden - every leaf that it touched curled up and died! I am trying to be okay with it, but honestly I'm quite disappointed. I'm sure it will bounce back, but it just looks crummy now.

Today I'm going to work on that long list some more - some of the fun things include installing my pump in my little water feature and installing solar tube lighting under the stairs on my deck (found it on QVC while I was channel surfing one night!).

I'm off for coffee and to sit on the deck and enjoy the Silent Magic which is not really so silent, as gb pointed out :)

o

It's a GORGEOUS morning here with temps at 64 and brilliant sunshine. Fabulous for sitting on the newly power washed patio. I'm over the moon that Doug was able to get that done yesterday. Several years of just hit or miss washing the dirty spots had it looking pretty shabby but now it looks fantastic again. He also got the little deck and the back of the house washed too. No more nasty algae and black mildew. This spring/early summer has just been the pits for mildew on surfaces you dont want it on.

I was able to get the sundial garden and the back container garden all cleaned out. Today Im planning on tackling the terraces and Im going to try to get the top of the hill cleaned off as well. Well see how much energy I have. Anyway the gardens are finally shaping up and Im feeling better about hosting a bunch of gardeners here on Thursday. Yikes, yes indeed that is this coming Thursday! Cant wait.

Woody, I just love all the photos of your visit and that dinner looks fabulous! Wow! I didnt comment the other day on how fantastic your gardens are looking but Im wildly impressed with how much everything has filled in.

Bug, talk about fantastic, you look terrific!

PM I always schedule more to do than any one person can accomplish so I have to pull myself up by the bootstraps from time to time and say, "It is what it is" and be happy with it. I usually know that its time for an attitude adjustment when Doug complains that Im not much fun to be with. LOL

Saucy, so sorry about your garden! Id be really, seriously unhappy with such an event. I smiled when I read you were enjoying coffee on your deck because I took my coffee out to the patio this morning too.

Denise, I just love the bathhouse! How wonderful. That turned out great.

OK Ive got to get off the computer and get to work while the day is young and cool.

Have a great day everyone!
Deanne

o

Abnormally cool here. I wore a long sleeve shirt most of yesterday. Since the gardens were in pretty good shape because of the garden tour, I decided it was a good day to try my hand at hypertufa and leaf castings, which I've been meaning to try for several years. I saw a demo at a garden tour of leaf castings a number of years ago and my mom and I were going to do it. Ha ha. Saucy has inspired me. We'll see if they turn out in a few days.

DH, Jaden and I took a long walk this a.m. I was a little appalled when Jaden came out of the ditch with a deer leg. She did drop it to my relief.

Saucy, I feel your pain about the garden. I've experienced a farm spray accident. 2-4D took down all the broad leaves in one garden due to DH's inattention. He caught it quick enough and it only slowed them down for that season.

Woody, your list of garden plants sounds quite interesting. It sounds so well planned. I'm using alot of pink and burgundy in my new front door area. And the food - wow! I'm always amazed how many of the Idylls are such great cooks.

Denise, the Full Moon Coreopsis is quite pretty. I'll have to look for it. I have quite a few Moonbeams which I really like the pale yellow color. The bathhouse is fabulous! I actually really like the curtain fabric.

PM, sorry to hear you will miss the IU - I hope you can get on top of whats ailing you.

Deanne, don't wear yourself out. Knowing the Idylls they will have a great time whether the house and garden are perfect or not. In fact you should save a few weeds for them to pull LOL

Got to run. We are planning on checking out a nature center at the lakes today. I've heard there is a childrens garden and butterfly garden for sure.

Michelle

o

We went on a tour of small farms in our area yesterday and had a wonderful time. The first farm had 2 goats, four pigs, about 50 chickens and hundreds of bees. Had a very interesting demonstration of beekeeping which really intrigued me. Saucy, we may need to talk next weekend!

Second stop was a sheep farm. A younger (20's) farmer and his wife explained a lot about how they raise their lambs. Most interesting trivial point - his mother is a shepherdess for the director John Hughes! Who knew?

Third stop was a vegetable farmer who sells his crops at the farmers market. We got to pick some things for our dinner as well as to take home. His soil was rather amazing - quite fluffy!

Last stop was a woman who is growing vegetables and raising grass fed beef. A much newer farm than the previous one, but she has a lot of ambition and a lot of energy.

Then we all headed back to the first stop for a delicious dinner that included lamb, pork and vegetables from the different farms. I took a lot of photos but haven't sorted and uploaded them yet, but in the meantime you can enjoy my favorite goat.

V.

o

Saucy - all the dogs had a blast together - dogs always seem happier in packs :-) We like the sweet potato pudding although there's only one review of it on the site and it's neutral to say the least! We substitute olive oil for the bacon fat(!) in the recipe and oregano for the marjoram. As the review says, it's not really a pudding but baked veggies. Since Randy has resolved to eat healthier and lose a few pounds, we've upped our veggie intake so it's a good recipe for us.

V - that sounds like a fun tour! Cute goat....

Deanne - it sounds like your place will be in top shape for the Idyll visit - I wish I could be there! I use a mycorrhizal fungi supplement when I plant things and I'm convinced that it is an important part of why things settle in pretty quickly and get off to a good start in most areas of the garden. My soil is quite poor and I figure things need all the help they can get - especially since I don't do any soil amendments or mulching!

I was asleep at the switch when I was listing the plants in the new bed - 'Sixteen candles' is, of course, a summersweet and the 'Little Henry' is the sweetspire! The plantings in this little bed have been planned with more care than what I usually do. Since it's a continuation of the driveway border and fronts the big bed, I wanted to include elements of both to tie it all together. I think it's going to work out well. I was very disappointed though that the clematis I planted to grow into the Japanese wisteria has - once again! - turned out to be something other than what it's tag said. I have white clematis growing into the Chinese wisteria and wanted a white one for the Japanese wisteria, so I planted a 'Snow Queen' - except it started blooming a few days ago and is a purply-blue! And the 'Huldine' I planted this spring to grow with the Jackmani Superba is a deep purple! AARRGH!!

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet potato pudding

o

Good morning Idylls ! Looks like we have another warm one coming up today, and I have a full agenda to boot- I will water virtually everything in the next two days, in the hopes that all DS will have to worry about will be the containers. Various travel-related items are being assembled in strategic locations around the house . I got a kick out of reading about Doug pressure washing the patio , in preparation for a group of gardeners visit and thinking , hey, Im one of those ! In viewing the 10 day weather forecasts, looks like the weather will be 80ish with the occasional shower much nicer than last years steambath

Denise the bathhouse turned out splendidly ! I dug out all my Moonbeam C. this year, frustrated with the years of floppiness. My intent was to replace with Crme Brulee , which look similar to your Full Moon provided I can find it. There are lots of interesting Coreopsis out there , but as with Echinacea the quality seems to be variable. Love the Aeonium, Ive started a small collection which Ive put in an impractical spot for winter survival, and we will see how they fare. Sink or swim .

What a surprise to see the Woody and bug households gathering- with Ms Phoebe enjoying a visit with fur-friends. Food looks yummy , and my cookie sheet to worse, lol !
The plant list sounds very nice for the new bed Woody, and I have yet to see a real pink daylily- they seem to peach out here too. From my lurks over on the daylily forum, I gather they are somewhat unstable color-wise.

Ooh Saucy, not nice to have atoxic spill in the garden ..You remind that I really need to set some time aside to fix my outdoor lighting system. I need some new fixtures and to change the placement as well , since my back garden is different than it was when I installed them originally. Rope lights along the deck rail sounds nice !

OK, better get to it !
Waving to all

Kathy in Napa

o

Phoebe joined us this morning for a 'work opportunity'. Got lots of weeding done and dead branches cut. This afternoon will be devoted to thistles. DH can handle burdocks while I'm away.
Tonight I must settle transportation and financial issues as regards IUVI. Still not sure about entry fees, and so on.
PM2, I'll still keep finger's crossed that you can drop by for a quick hello, face to face. Maybe?
Off the the salt mines.
'bug

o

Happy Belated Birthday Michelle

o
RE: Idyll#449- Silent Magic J

Happy Belated Birthday Jerri

o

Good afternoon

It is lovely and cool here and I've been in the garden since early morning, weeding, deadheading and generally enjoying myself. Red Betty continues to pop out an egg a day, much to everyone's delight. She has become something of a minor celebrity in our neighborhood and when one of the girls next door called home from camp in Michigan, her first question was if any more eggs had been layed. I can't wait till we have enough to share with our neighbors.

V - your small farm tour sounds wonderful. I've become so enarmoured with keeping chickens I'm beginning to think I would like to run a small farm in my retirement. As DH's dream is to live on a golf course I'm not sure how we'll work that one out. Do you think I could have chickens free range on the putting greens?

Woody - all that food looks fantastic. I can't wait to try the sweet potato pudding recipe - I love anything with Sweet Potatoes in it. How fun to see the dogs enjoying themselves together.

Denise - I LOVE your new bath!! Being a Brit I've always favored baths over showers and one of my indulgences are nice bath oil/salts to dump in after a day in the garden. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

PM - I too will hang onto the hope that a few hours will open up to stop by and meet us somewhere. I think we might be due for a West Coast Idyll soon so it could be further to travel next year.

I'm looking forward enourmously to heading out Thurday but also feel I have a lot to finish up here. My book club is gathering Wednesday night so I need to have the house spic and span for that. Plus our neice arrives Thursday so the guest room needs to be made up. I also need to put in another morning at my garden job but that provide some pin money for the trip.

I have that Sunday feel right now and will save the serious cleaning for Monday and Tuesday, continuing to putter in the garden instead.

But first, a Blueberry Buckle has just finished baking and I will try a slice with my afternoon tea. Anyone care to join me?

Mary

o

There are still a few lilies that have not opened yet, but I thought Id share these with you. Late July and August often finds my garden looking pretty sad months with no rain, heat , overgrowth etc, but the lilies provide a wonderful distraction. In my new expanded areas I will be able to add several more lilies this fall and have already created a list.

This yellow has no tag but it's one of my favorites-think I picked it up a 'no name' sale.

From Garden 2009

Aprila...This plant is taller than me, and has multiplied nicely this year

From Garden 2009

Giggle Button

From Garden 2009

Basil Orchard in the foreground , with one of my fave Dahlias "Chilsons Pride' . The "Envy" Zinnias are just in front of the Dahlia but they have just started blooming so they are barely visible.

Back to the chores !

Kathy in Napa

From Garden 2009

o

Kathy, is your lily very tall and perhaps an "Orienpet" lily? I have one that looks very similar and is called "American Flame". It is at least 6' tall now in its second year, although was normal height in year one..

One Tamarack tree and one small Hemlock have had their bases tidied up and I am BUSHED. I guess the thistles must be done tomorrow. Sigh.

Time to cook salmon, corn on the cob and something else !?!! It would be wonderful to get to my knitting for a while later.

Wonderful weather here, and I hope at your home too!

'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: lilies

o

'bug, it is actually only about 4ft, though it faces down a bit like some of the Orienpets do. I will look up American Flame , I would love to have more this color..

Kathy

o

Kathy - your garden is looking very good at this point still. I think almost all gardens start looking a bit tired by August at least. Are lily beetles a problem out there? I'd love to have more lilies in the garden but the beetles leave them looking so sad; it's depressing so I don't bother!

I had a fairly lazy day but Randy was very productive. He deadheaded the swag portions I can't reach and tackled the tangle of canes on top of the arbour, trying to cut some of the oldest stuff out. It was serious work:

Liam went home tonight. Misty will be in a sulk for a few days with no buddy to keep her company.

gb - I assume the corn is not local...? This cold summer is probably been slowing the growth of crops like that. We haven't been doing a lot of driving around in the country lately so I haven't seen how tall - or not - corn plants are. Local corn always seems one of the signs of the end of summer so, while I love frosh corn on the cob, I'm not ready to be thinking of summer's end yet!

o

The corn at our place is quite tall already! The rains have really aided the growth. I'm beginning to see late summer's arrival. For me the sign is the opening of the first hollyhocks. But the lawn remains bright green this year...most unusual!

YEAH! Travel plans made with DH tonight. Time now for 10 rows of knitting, then a bath. Just like Mary, this is my treat.

o

Kathy - your garden is looking very good at this point still. I think almost all gardens start looking a bit tired by August at least. Are lily beetles a problem out there? I'd love to have more lilies in the garden but the beetles leave them looking so sad; it's depressing so I don't bother!

I had a fairly lazy day but Randy was very productive. He deadheaded the swag portions I can't reach and tackled the tangle of canes on top of the arbour, trying to cut some of the oldest stuff out. It was serious work:

Liam went home tonight. Misty will be in a sulk for a few days with no buddy to keep her company.

gb - I assume the corn is not local...? This cold summer is probably been slowing the growth of crops like that. We haven't been doing a lot of driving around in the country lately so I haven't seen how tall - or not - corn plants are. Local corn always seems one of the signs of the end of summer so, while I love frosh corn on the cob, I'm not ready to be thinking of summer's end yet!

o

Good morning,

Well I just heard the weather forecast for Thursday and Im hoping against hope that the weather guy is wrong, wrong, wrong. Initially they were just predicting scattered thunder storms but now he thinks we will be in for a round of tropical deluges in the order of an inch or more on Thursday evening.. Arrrrgggghhhh..So all Idyllerrs traveling to NH on Thursday, BRING YOUR RAIN GEAR. LOL This brings to mind the IU at Sues. a few years back. It poured. Oh well, after the weather weve had this summer this should come as no surprise.

Woody, I LOVE that pic of Randy. LOL What an expression. ~~ I so wish you could be here too!!!! Im seriously trying to get Doug to take a drive up your way later on this season. Id love to visit you and Bug again. ~~ RE the lily beetles. Bayer makes a systemic product that contains Imidacloprid which takes care of the problem. I sprinkled a capful of the granular product (says its for trees but works fine for the lilies) at the bases of each clump of lilies and voila. Almost no more beetles. I didnt get to all the groups of lilies in the gardens but the ones I did are beetle free and continue to be OK two months later. ~~~ I agree that gardens can really get tired looking by August but my containers take care of that problem because they are just coming into their full glory by that time of the year.

Kathy, your gardens are looking glorious! I just love the Oriental lily time of the year. You cant get too much of that delicious scent. Your yellow one has the same color as my favorite Taragonna which is an Orienpet. They will be blooming when you get here but the rain will probably have them not looking their best.

V. I wish I could have gone on that farm tour with you. It sounds like it was a great time and so interesting.

Michelle, I lost most of my Moonbeam coreopsis last winter. Ive no idea why. Theyve been here for years and this is my first summer without its lovely pale yellow flowers.

Hi Mary, it sounds like youve got a lot to accomplish before you head out on Thursday. I cant wait to see you and hear all about your chickens! How is David doing?

OK Ive got to use this last sunny day of the week and get some more work done outside before the rain begins. Have a great day all.

Deanne

o

Pack
Garden
Bank
Pet care instructions...

The car picks me up at 5:45AM. It's a long trip for such a short distance! I may not even take my camera. Others will have theirs.

o

Deanne - a lot could change with the forecast before Thursday but even if the worst happens it will in no way keep the Idyllers out of your gardens. I remember going barefoot in Sue's in the heaviest rain and loving every minute of it. I'll just throw an umbrella in.

GB - you had me worried thinking I'd be arriving too late and I just rushed to check the itinerary. Are you leaving tomorrow?

Kathy - your lilies are superb. A garden can never have too many. Especially if you don't have deer to devastate them.

Woody - that is a great picture of Randy. Is he enjoying retirement so far?

I've already gardened for an hour and a half this morning, enjoying the lovely cool fresh air. DH had helped remove a yew stump so I have a new area to play with. I should really tackle some housework now though - Le Sigh.

Mary

o

Don't panic Mary, I'm just a great worrier! I leave Thursday. Off to battle the thistles now...

o

Tomorrow is Friday for me at the awfice ..and then its off to IU6 I go . I am completing all the packing and watering tonight, pausing a moment to wonder what state my garden will be in when I return. DS will be left a list of must waters and hopefully at least the containers will muddle through without me.

As we have not heard a peep from Chelone in a few days, I assume she is completeing feverish preparations, or else she and the Helpmeet have gotten cold feet and skipped town !

Will pack my umbrella !

Kathy in Napa

o

Well, I arrived in Southern Vermont in record time today -- waved at some idyller towns on the way... it was thankfully an uneventful drive and good weather!

My SIL seems to have us heavily scheduled for the next couple of days and here I was hoping to just rest up for the IU events, LOL.... off to Simon Pearce destination factory/restaurant tomorrow and Im hoping a stop at Walker Farms (you know just to look at plants?)....

The weather is sounding a bit dicey for the next few days - I think slickers and umbrellas may be wise for idyllers traveling to this part of the world.

Deanne, I know we'll love your gardens wet or dry!!

--cindy

o

Still here, no cold feet, just tired ones. Plodding ahead slowly avoiding a series of potholes that have not made the way a smooth one. But maintaining a sense of humor and know that in spite of the present chaos all will be fine and lots of fun... camping can be like that, you know. :)

Need to hem a pair of slacks and then get back to work. Pant. Bring insect repellent, you guys... the mosquitos are brutal, little ones, hungry and eager to lay eggs and keep the population going.

o

Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 7:51

WooHoo! Packing today!I get to leave at 4:45 on Thursday morning....DH and TCS are taking me to the airport....Nice long chat with Marie last night and a short one with Deanne. This is going to be the highlight of my summer!

Going to also cut the lawn today and then take some photos so I can share....

Don't worry, Marie my camera is little and old and I am bringing it!.

My heart goes out to Deanne and Chelone who, I am sure are running around like chickens....oops,sorry Mary, just a little slip of the mind there! I know I would be going nuts about now if I were a host.

Discussing with DH last night how I would have liked to bring something nice from Canada as a keepsake for the Idyllers....he suggested pemmican and blubber "Both of which you have on your person ha ha ha". Sweet man.

Off I go to get my day started. I'll check in later!

Cheers

Julie

o

WOW! A kingfisher is sitting on the power line right outside my window! That's a first! Usually they are down near our bridge.

Yes, things are getting closer and closer to travel time. I hope there will be bug repellent at the destination because I cannot bring liquids on board the plane. I may need a quick stop at a drugstore for anti-itch stuff too as I get a bad reaction to bites. C'est la vie. I'm used to it though Chelone...This is West Nile paradise here.

Yesterday's garden efforts were exhausting but worthwhile. I rescued shrubs and trees from thistles and burdocks and other huge weeds that threatened their lives. In fact one shrub was killed by them. The deadly nightshade is horrendous back there. DH kindly disposed of two wagon loads of the mess and things are looking quite good there now..until it all grows back! Still a few to tackle though.

We are told to expect rain for much of the week. That will get DH off the hook while I'm away I guess. :)

I'm hoping PM is feeling better bit by bit, that Marian's vegetable crop is ripening, that Mary has made an omelette, and that life is good for one and all.
'bug

o

Julie - the 'pemican and blubber' comment got a chuckle here.... I wonder how many Canadians have actually tried pemican - I haven't even seen it!

Mary - Randy says he's enjoying retirement so far although he missed having the regular routine that getting up; going to work; etc.... creates and he does miss the parts of work he enjoyed - but not the annoying stuff! It took me about 3 years after I stopped working for staying home to feel 'normal' and I still feel a bit odd if I'm downtown in the middle of the day. So I expect it'll be the same for Randy. When his father early-retired, his parents felt very unsettled and within a year or two had 'pullet up stakes' and moved to BC! I think a good part of the reason was that it drove his father crazy watching his friends in the neighbourhood going off to work each morning while he stayed home with nothing much to do and felt old :-) On the plus side Randy says he feels physically the best he's felt in years. He goes for several very long walks a day and has lost some of the weight that settles around the gut when men reach a certain age :-)

Deanne - Randy was 'hamming it up' in that picture :-) It would be great if you and Doug made the trip north and came for a visit. It's a long drive - are you guys the type that like long drives? I hate them...!

o

Good morning!

I'm reading along, but things are busy here :)

o

Marie, my 'vegetable crop' is coming along. :-) I have small cucumbers large enough to eat, and the first of the Sweet 100 tomatoes has turned red.

I too, hope Pm2 is getting better. That condition would be a real bummer.

My condition is not so great either....the meds are not helping all that much. I keep hoping this too shall pass...without more doctor visits. At least it keeps me from feeling badly that I cannot join the group at the IU. I know I would not be up to it, even if the circumstances would let me go.

We continue to get nice rains, and cool weather. That is such a blessing, because it relieves me from having to water. Most of my plantings look good. The new containers have escaped the browsers, but older ones have not, as well as plants in beds that I failed to protect. I was so pleased that a glad was going to bloom, in the bed right in front of the house, by the honey locust. But it did not make it! Nipped off before it could open. The white balloon flowers were pruned off, but have rebounded and have more blooms than before. 3 pots of tender Hibiscus were well pruned. They are now recovering on the front porch. Ahhh, the joys of living in the wilderness!

Woody, I got a kick out of Randy's expression also. :-)

Marie, I like the pics of Phoebe...all of them, and with her friends. She is cutest, in my opinion, with more hair, but as I always say, when mine is cut too short...hair grows.

I am sure I have missed a lot that I found interesting, but rest assured, I have read all, and enjoyed reading it.

Marian

o

Well the two guest bedrooms are thoroughly cleaned and have clean sheets ready for Sue and Mary. (In case anyone is wondering how they got the guestrooms, way back when we first started talking about starting IU6 here on Thursday night I said it was first come first served and they were the first two to ask, LOL) I've done four loads of laundry and am making inroads on getting the rest of the house cleaned. Also, am getting my packing ready to leave here on Friday. I was originally planning on doing the house cleaning tomorrow but its pouring rain outside today so I'll have to do the planned garden work tomorrow.

Gorgeous vignette Saucy! Love it, especially the leaf!

Great to talk to Julie last night. All is set for the airport pick ups in Manchester.

Woody, Doug and I like to take car trips and Doug especially likes getting out and going places.

Bug, we have stores with bug repellent here in NH and ME. LOL. No worries there will be plenty to share. ~~Can't believe your have a resident Kingfisher! fabulous! Wish I was there with my camera.

Mary, I remember traipsing about Sue's gardens barefooted in the pouring rain in July too. As I recall it was a day much like today is. Chilly as well as wet and it didn't keep us from having a great time and seeing the gardens.

Whoops, the dryer buzzer just went off and I need to go and fold some clothes, make the bed and hang Doug's permanent press.

TTYL
Deanne

o

Finished more weeding and mowing just in time. The rain has started. YEAH, I don't need to water today!

Tonight I hope to finish knitting the hood of the baby sweater for Ivy. That will leave me to do the sleeves when I return.

Today they think they have found the body of the missing little girl I spoke of earlier. The area where she was found is eerily like our property, with a bridge crossing over the creek. No wonder we were interviewed! The parents need closure, and unfortunately they probably have it now.

Like Deanne, I'm off to do more laundry and packing. I think I will travel very light and so people will get tired of my simple wardrobe...It is chilly here now too. Tomorrow I think I'll get out the green nail polish...or will it be red this time? The only time I ever wear any is for Idylls..and this will be my third time.

'bug- again!

o

GB - quite a bit of my wardrobe is the same as at IU4, two years ago. Except things fit a little snugger. Simple is good.

One important question has not yet been addressed though - have we designated a toe nail varnish color?

I have so much to do I can't even think about it but several good things happened today. Annie had her first interview at a Ski shop and it sounds as though it went swimmingly. I was able to apply for two jobs which I think I am pretty well qualified for, and both carry insurance. My garden job went well and apparently I received several compliments from guests on a recent tour the owners hosted. Red Betty has continued to lay an egg a day and they are delicious. I made blueberry jam and it too is delicious (though not on the eggs) and I got my library books back on time without a fine.

Anticipation builds...

Mary

o

I too like the leaf Saucy! Hosta?

V, this is for you. Crazy Veronicastrum:

Just cut off the blooms from Husker's Red Penstemmon and weeded a bit. Folded laundry. Now for the knitting.

DH worked at sweeping the worst of the barn this afternoon. Too bad they don't give awards for just keeping up with things!

Mary, Congratulations. So much progress...and well deserved too!
'bug

o

Crazy Veronicastrum is right - I'm off to get a pedicure and I'm contemplating possible colors. . .

V.

o

I painted mine "No Room For the Blues" :)

o

There was no room for the blues at the nail place, so I went with a deep purple instead. If there's any Smoke on the Water this weekend, it may be coming from my toes!

V.

o

The excitement seems to be building and I'm oh so jealous. Maybe someday.

Saucy, the leaf is wonderful! I made 2 from h. 'Sum and Substance' I'm quite nervous about whether they will turn out.

Kathy, gorgeous lilies. The orientpets have started here too and the scent is heavenly.

Mary, good luck on the jobs, hopefully you will find the right fit.

The weather here is still quite cool for July. It is certainly pleasant weather to work in the garden.

Night all

Michelle

o

Checking in here from the first stop on my journey, airport hotel, where there is free internet and a shuttle at an ungodly hour tomorow to catch my flight to IU ! I am saddened to note that the one and only task I did not manage was the pedicure.My toenails remain unattractively bare and ragged. Perhaps and opportunity will arise before pre-game at Deannes.

All for me tonight... More news tomorow !

Kathy at SFO

o

MIne will be nicely accented with thinset mortar, grout, and Bullseye primer. ;)

My little Spencer has been under the weather for going on 2 days now. He's been resting in various locations, hasn't eaten anything, but has visited the catbox. Poor little thing.

Forecast looks grim for Friday, sadly. Bring your umbrellas and a raincoat. :(

o

The good thing about lobster is that it tastes good rain or shine :)

Saucy

o

I can recommend Mary for painting toenails...She did mine at the first IU!

Today is wind-it-all up day... so I'll be running around like Mary's chickens. I imagine Deanne and Chelone will be doing the same, only more so, before acting cool and composed tomorrow.

Spencer, be well please.

For those of you not attending, we will be talking about you!!! LOL! :)

o

GB - yes, I think of you every time I see green toe nails (varnish that is).

I too will be running round like Red Betty, wondering why in the world I scheduled my book group the night before leaving town. My pedicure might fly by the wayside but it sounds as though socks and boots could be the order of the day. I would like to say I was busily productive getting ready last night but instead spent the evening making a crocheted wire necklace. My creative urges nearly always strike at inconvenient times and yet I allow myself to follow them.

TODAY, I will clean the house (and go to the bead store for a clasp for my new necklace).

Michelle - I will miss seeing you so much.

Feel better Spencer.

I'm off to attack the dust bunnies and laundry singing "I'm so excited"

Mary

o

Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 8:56

Jeez, has anybody checked on the Maine weather for the next five days? Wet, and COLD. 60F for you Americans, 16C for us from Canader. Quick change of packing - only one pair of shorts, add sox and maybe fleece to go with the sweat shirt and rain jacket. Going shopping for a teeny umbrella....no need for the curling iron - my beautiful locks are thin and limp in the damp. (Well, they're thin and limp at the best of times!) I'll bring shampoo so at least they'll be clean!

I seem to have toally missed the pecidure requirement...I guess I'll have to shop for something interesting in terms of colour...and I'll have to soak my toes in Javex to remove/disguise the garden grottiness...Oh, so much work *LOL*

As I moaned briefly about the weather, the ever-wise DH commented that I could be wet. cold and miserable here, or wet, cold, and having a blast there...that's sure a no-brainer!

Mowed and trimmed and weeded and overseeded the back yesterday, so nothing to do there now. My intent was to work on the front today but hey! it's raining!. I may actually weed as there is very little to do, trim a few things, again minimal, and leave the front hayfield for DH to mow.

The "Spite Fence" is going up next door, only on our side of the neighbour's lot. It is at least 6 feet high, and is about 8 inches from our chain link. Interesting here that the by-law limits fence height to two meters and requires the "good" side to be facing out. I wonder how they're going to do that with only 8 inches to stand in while they're putting up the wood? And I wonder about the weeds etc. that are going to grow between the fences...won't that vegetation eventually rot the wood? I intend to plant stuff along the fence so I won't have to look at the weedy strip but it sure is a ridiculous situation.

Most of the neighbours are dumbfounded by this lady's activity. This fence of hers will effectivly block off all of her windows. Known as "cutting off your nose to spite your face" in my mother's words. One neighbour suggested that she cover her entire lot with a dome and paint it black *LOL*. We're taking the high road, no negative comments and we don't initiate any discussion about it. One neighbour said she was quite surprised that we seem o.k. with it...our reply was that we don't associate with this lady, and her fence gives us a beautiful private yard open only to the park and the orchard....we only have one little window on that side so there is no problem there. It actually works for us....

It will be all completed when I return so bring your suggestions for vines, climbers etc (Yeah I know Marie, clematis!) with you for late night discussion.

WooHoo I'm a-comin' to IUVI!

Cheers!

Julie

o

No time to post a long one now. I have a pedicure appointment to get to!

Like Mary, I still need to pack but got sidetracked by moving some books to the basement and cleaning off the livingroom shelves. Then I cleaned out a few of my mother's boxes in the barn with DH before his voice lesson, then trimmed some branches from eye level on a path. Then I mowed the last bit. Why now? Beats me!

'bug

o

I'll bet the "eagle has landed" and that Kathy is at Wendy's by now :)

Time to go finish packing! I'm headed to Wendy's tomorrow and then to Deanne's for the beginning of the festivities....I'm bringing agendas for all as I just confirmed our plans for Sunday this morning! Talk about cutting it close....phew!

Saucy

o

Thank you so much for all your work Saucy! You're a gem!

o

Nothing is in my suitcase yet but the house is clean (or cleaner), Mojitos are ready for mixing for bookclub and I have several books on tape for the drive tomorrow. I might be up late.....

I can't wait to be with you all.

Mary

o

OMG!!!!! I just can't wait for everyone to get here. The gardens are so heavily scented tonight I can hardly believe it. The Oriental lilies are incredible and in the front the entire front yard smells like brugmansia blooms. It's brilliant.

I'm exhausted, actually I don't think there is a word to describe how tired I am tonight, but the gardens are more polished up than they've been in ages. I deadheaded and took all the flowers off ever single daylily in the gardens today so I don't have to deadhead in the morning. Also got rid of all the yellowing and ageing foliage on all the daylilies. HUGE JOB. There are a few areas that aren't as good as I'd like but this will do nicely. I SO WISH everyone could be here tomorrow.

I got a call from PM today for driving directions so she just might join us tomorrow evening. That would be so fabulous! And the other great news is that it looks like the rain might not begin until after 10:00PM. Doug is going to video tape the festivities and is planning on making DVD's for one and all. How fun is that????

OK time to get cleaned up and get ready for dinner.

Oh yes, the salmon is smoking even as I write this and it smells wonderful!

OK now I'm really going t o get off this computer.

Later,

Deanne

PS Kathy, if you have arrived on the East Coast please let us know!

o

OMG!!!(to quote Deanne) It really is going to happen. 5:30am is going to happen so soon, and then a long day of airport nonsense. But Doug's salmon is already started, my nails are painted and my clothes are in the dryer. Time to finish the hood of Ivy's sweater.

How are you doing Spencer?

Go for it PM! We'll be there waiting! This is one garden you don't want to miss!

See you in the afternoon Deanne and Julie! Marian, Michelle, Eden, Ei and others...keep the Idyll home fires burning.

'bug

o

Kathy has landed in Boston. Wendy emailed me to confirm pick-up arrangements for tomorrow and mentioned that she and her hubby had successfully snagged Kathy earlier today.

I should be packing but I'm too wound up at the moment to focus.

Yesterday ABC World News did a piece on health care reform. I don't want to open a political can of worms, but they chose a great small town to go interview some everyday citizens. Um, yeah, mine. The jewelry store owner is my son's boss. Enjoy!

V.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABC News

o

Lookee here, Im in the same time zone as the NE Idyllers for a change ! The jury is still out on the biological clock..Spent the afternoon enjoying the hospitality of the Wendy family, excellent food and company and so many hostas! Tomorrow we fetch V and co. and head up to NH , hopefully not to find Deanne swooning of exhuastion on a chaise ..but if so, well bring you a Martini, dear

So its going to be Idyllunion The Movie ? Jeesh, I know Ill never be able to run for public office after this.

So excited and cant wait for the festivites to begin---how fun if PM can come for our evening at Deannes.

All for now, I have to go harvest my Farmtown crops and get some sleep.

Onward !

Kathy in Massachusetts

o

So excited for all the travelers! What a great time you all will have!
As for me...I have taken a double dose of pain meds, and my feet and legs still hurt. I have an appointment with my dr in the morning.
My nap was a fizzle today due to pain, so I am headed to bed right now!

Marian

o

Good morning ...

Well, Thursday has arrived and DH and I are happily anticipating meeting everyone this evening. Finally! I knew once we decided we couldn't go, things would turn around. [g]
I am definitely getting excited! For those of you who haven't left home yet, bring photos of your children! And Lily time at Deanne's, Oh My! I really wish everyone could be there.

Marian, I'm very sorry that you are having that much pain and I hope your doctor can do something to help you. It's been too long a spell this time around.

I am sorry I won't get to meet Marian, Michelle, Woody, Norma, Ei, Eden, Jerri, and Anita. Definitely stinks! Maybe next year?

Kathy, so funny to see 'Kathy in Massachusetts'!

Well, I better get moving, going to be a busy day and I have a feeling it is going to go by very fast!

Happy travels to everyone!

:-)

o

So happy that pm will be able to make it!

V.

o

Good thing Deanne's gardens are beautiful, mine are a disaster. I've not weeded since May and the weeds are truly magnificent. Sheetrock dust takes precedence, you know. ;)

Can't wait to see you all.

o

Good Morning everyone !

Only slightly groggy this morning as I enjoy my in-room swill and soon will toddle down to the complimentary breakfast buffet for my fake eggs and floppy bacon. A full day of airport duties, picnic prep, and then its off to NH for the kick-off event ! So far weather has been pleasant and mild , we hope the threatened showers hold off till late night . If time allows today I would love to get some pics of some of Wendys slendid hostas, and her cool collection of daylilies..

Checking in from the road hereKathy in Mass

o

Good Morning Idylls!

I thought I'd sneak in a little "hello" while all are still sleeping here.

The family reunion went off without a hitch...I had about 25 family members here this week-end. The in-laws are still here and will probably stay for at least another week, so I won't have a lot of time to Idyllchat...

Even though it seems a moot point to wish it (cause I know you will all have a *wonderful* time) I'm sending my best wishes to the IU gals & guys: "Have a wonderful time"...wish I was there! :-)

Also, for the animal champion...sorry we missed your birthday. Both Scout and I hope it was a day just like this:

On Tuesday I became a great aunt! :-)

Will be back later...have a great day all!

Ei

o
RE: Idyll#449- Silent Magic Saucy!

Much more I wanted to comment on but no time now...still had to tell Saucy...
I *love* your vignette! And that leaf is just beautiful...those colors...WOW!

Ei

o

Hip, hip, Horray!!!!!!!! Today is the day! We kick off IU6, can you even believe this is our sixth reuntion? Rain or shine we will meet and greet and share good food, good wine, friendships, lots of laughs and good times! Life is good!
Deanne

o

WAA!!!!!!!!!! I want to be there! LOL
I can smell the lilies now. :)
I hope everyone has enough memory sticks for their cameras, I can hardly wait for the photos to start rolling in.

Wishing safe travel and fun for all!

Jerri

o

I'm going to close this Idyll out, and hope the IU 6 ers are staying dry on the outside and having a few wet drinks for the inside. Have one for me too.

Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here