Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmcilhargie

Idyll #391 Beating Back The Jungle

Lara Noles
15 years ago

That's what I've been doing for the last couple of mornings The gardens are starting to look more tidy with room for some redesigning:) No time to say more now...carry on!

Eden

Comments (109)

• deanneart
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow V. Marvelous pics of your deck and I love that vignette showcasing your pillow. Great score on that cement urn. Got to love it! The trio of Sans babies is marvelous too. A treat to see your spaces. Thanks

PM I just went outside and checked on the stuff Id taken off the stands in case of any more blow overs and all is well here. I totally know what you mean about your cactus as Im having the same problem with my tuberous begonias. They are just getting too wet and Ive got major pieces dying and falling off and the Rex begonias are looking pretty bedraggled as well. There is just too much here to move it all in and out with the rain storms so Im going to just cross my fingers and hope they pull through. I surely hope you dont get any more hail damage. Some places south of here got slammed by this last storm. The temps here have gone down to 62 degrees! Brrrr. What a roller coaster the weather has been this summer. Last weekend we were dying of the heat in NY and now its going to be below 60 tonight.

Hi Jerri, I was thinking the same thing about having trouble keeping up with all the threads out there right now. I was thinking of you today when sitting on the patio taking a break. I do wish I could bottle up that fragrance.

OK Im out of here for tonight. Have a good evening all.
    Deanne

Where are Michelle and Eden?

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Hmm... I just got around to downloading and looking at my photos from IU5. This could be very interesting. I was always behind everyone taking pictures and drooling over the gardens so I ended up with a lot of flower and bum shots. LOL

How many Idylls want to opt of bum shots?! This could be profitable! ;)

To late to size and post tonight. I'm pooped.

Jerri

(J/K)

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Im here Deanne! Its been a busy weekend. 2 of Ricks sisters came today to see the gardens, so I put in a good long gardening day yesterday. I also made a cold veggie & chicken pizza and an almond raspberry angel roll to serve. I also needed to clean this pit of a house. I must say the gardens do look wonderful. We had 2" of rain last weekend and the another .4" this a.m. The lawns here are nice and lush as well.

Im having my sisters, SIL and mom over next Sat. and then another bunch of ladies the next Sat. to tour the gardens. I had a bunch of requests from women from church so I decided to have a garden party.

We have been doing a bunch of mulching lately, Rick uses the skid loader to load the trailer behind the 4 wheeler and I use a grain scoop to spread it. Sounds like farmers huh?

Who else agrees with me that Vs rooster would be perfect on the top of my garden shed? LOL

Martie, its good to hear so much from, a definite indication that you are feeling better.

Sue, great news about the foot.

Pm2, Ive been watching Cultivating Life since it comes on about the time I like to sit for a bit before bedtime. We enjoy the Create channel.

Denise, we did sign the option for the wind turbines. Basically its saying we are interested if the project gets off the ground. They do give a nice check just for expressing your interest. Hey, you are no more daffy than the rest of us ;o)

Gosh, quite a few Idyllers have new cameras. It will be fun to see what they produce with them.

Here's a few shots from after the rain.

{{gwi:168422}}
    {{gwi:168424}}

A Kenzie combo:
    {{gwi:168425}}
    {{gwi:168426}}

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Quite a busy day in Idyll-land .. one must keep current with numerous threads too !

V, chipped base is shabby -chic. You are stylin ! Lovely deck shots too. I like all the blue pots. Now is that Cubs Blue or Dodger Blue ??

Deanne, the K. thrysifolia can take full sun here with no problem, but should be let to get a bit dry between waterings, It sounds like that is an issue for you this year !

Hi Jerri ! How are those puppies ? Well accept bum shots if they are artistic. In my case this may require some image manipulation.

Waaah! I want to go to the Tower Hill plant sale. This morning I went to Annies Annuals website to see if she had Celosia spicata. I would have driven down there today (about a half hour drive on Sunday) to get a couple if so. No such luck ! I am having trouble accepting the fact that you can see actually see dirt in areas of my garden. Not packed in . Jeesh.

Michelle, it looks like you have perfected the pink daylily. And your last pic do you know the name of that one ? I love the pinks buds and yellow lily thing going on there. Fabu! You absolutely need a rooster to adorn your shed.

Ok, time for me to call it a night.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Co-worker is on vacation this week so I could be in the hot seat if the boss has a rough week. Humidity, warm temperatures and disorganization can make for a lethal combination. lol.

I ventured up to the old homestead yesterday to check out the storm damage (there was plenty!). Mercifully, the place is still standing, the windows are all intact, the electricity worked once I flipped the main breaker on and I left feeling OK. But there is so much work to do there. I now refer to the house as "the home that time forgot". It's alternately sad, funny, and a little creepy to observe how quickly Mum's life took such a precipitous turn. We simply never know when it will happen, do we?

We had a huge thunderstorm last evening, too, Deanne. The crack of thunder felt as though it was directly overhead and it launched the normally unflappable cats from their perches. Rex climbed onto the sofa to be closer to Mummy. I thought of Cynthia and Dannie, too!

I'm running a little behind right now so need to get rollin'. You can bet I'll run screaming from the building today. :)

That darling white wicker chair is screaming for a cushion, V.. ;) Great score on the urn, pillow and the whole vignette is very appealing.

Over and out.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Ahhh.... gorgeous morning but bad Deanne still hasn't finished the project she is to teach starting Friday so I'm in the basement today. Wah...

Michelle, gorgeous photos! Is that first daylily 'Wild Mustang'? Also that second lily, 'Silk Road'? Like Kathy I'd like to know what variety that third lily is. What a gorgeous stand of them. ~~~ What fun to have garden parties!

Kathy, can K. thrysifolia be propagated from leaf cuttings? Yes indeed letting things dry out between waterings lately is a problem. Just ask my tuberous begonias. LOL

Chelone, I'd love to see a pic of Wrecks in your lap! Yikes, you lived to tell the tale.

OK I've got to get going here. Have a great day all.

Deanne

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Good morning all!

I got a call from SunnyD yesterday....she wanted me to come help her rip up her garden because it didn't look like the gardens we visited at IU5 - I think she's hooked :)

Deanne, I'll be stuck looking out my office window while you're in your studio :) I'll be thinking of you....pining away for your garden :)

Chelone, what will become of the house that time forgot? Is there a plan yet?

I indulged myself in a great book: The Well Designed Mixed Garden by Tracy DiSabato Aust. I know most of you have read it, or her first book. I can't believe it took me this long to pick it up and read it! I'm inspired!

PM, I believe Tower Hill adds their plants into the mix at this sale, too! I'm adding a link.

I have made it to August and have not killed a pot from not watering! I mix gravel into my tufa pot soil mix to make it drain well....do you guys do that for things that like sharp drainage? That's how I mix them in among other things without worrying about the amount of water I give.

Michelle, how far is it to V.s? We could do a midnight raid, and I'd help you place it on top of the shed, LOL! V., your porch is beautiful, and I see why you snatched up the yellow pillow :) I imagine you curled up with it :)

Michelle, you don't know how many times I wished for a tractor over the last couple of days....

Well, I guess I'll get this day started!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

How did it get to be Monday????

Later..
    'bug

• wendy2
    15 years ago

Good morning Idylls!

I found myself with an extra hour this AM - I got up at my usual time and showered, then I remembered I have to do a work errand before heading in today, so I don't have to leave here at 8am. I went out to putter in the garden, trying to stay clean since I'd already showered. My DS laughed at me when I came back in with dirt on my leg.

No storm damage here, just wet, wet, wet. We got another inch of rain last night. My DD is being paid to water the neighbor's veggie garden while they are away, she's only been over there once so far! Talk about money for nothing...

Deanne, my rex begonias are looking a bit sad too. I did make a special mix for them with extra perlite for drainage, and I'm keeping them in smaller pots which dry out faster. They also don't like a lot of fertilizer, so I don't feed them. I'm tempted to put them in the sun to dry them out, but that would probably fry the leaves.

Sue, such good news about your recovery. Glad you can ditch the crutches now. Don't overdo it though.

V, love your porch. Is that ferny-looking plant next to the 3 baby sans a polemonium? I never think to put perennials in pots - maybe I should start. Chelone, what color cushion? I'm thinking something with green or maroon to pick up the colors on the musa. The rooster is cool too!

Saucy, that book is a good one - I have it too. I like all the diagrams with plant name and position - I'm nerdy that way. Have you checked your local library for garden books? With inter-library loan you can probably get lots. I second PM2's recommendation of the William Cullina books - I have both, and they are wonderful (just ask Chelone!)

Way to go SunnyD! I knew we could rope in another one. Idyllunion is definitely inspirational.

Well, have to run - I need to call the orthodontist before leaving for work. One of the brackets on DS's braces came loose over the weekend. I called the Dr at home Friday PM, and he walked me through a temporary repair involving a trip to the hardware store to buy tiny wire cutters. Worked great! I told the kids I was hanging out my shingle this week.

Waving hi to all!

-W

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Deanne & Kathy, the daylily is 'Strawberry Candy' and the lilies are 'Silk Road' and 'Orania' which is a fabulous stand after only 3 years. I'll be back later, its a busy Monday.

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

As promised a few updated pictures of the Secret Garden.

The marigolds lining the walk are just starting to bloom. Remember she loves yellow. These are a nice clear yellow.
    {{gwi:168427}}

I thought these Tricolor convolvulous would be nice, but the rabbits did set some of them back a bit. In Kenzie's words "that wasn't very nice to me" The yarrow in the background is just getting started as well. The gourd blossoms are even yellow.
    {{gwi:168428}}

• denisez10
    15 years ago

I googled Orania, Michelle, and it was depicted as all apricot in color. Yours is much more complex and beautiful. Might be a regional soil/weather difference? Kinda exciting with the wind thing, huh? Your garden looks ravishing and ready for its closeup at upcoming garden parties. Tell Kenzie her idyllette godmothers will come and take care of the nasty wabbits, just say the word! I'm in complete agreement with Kenzie on yellow.

That's gotta be the cruelest test of self control imaginable, Deanne, to have to retreat to the basement when the lilies are in full force. Or when 'bug's clems are in bloom. Any gardener in mid-summer, I suppose. Spring is bad too, though. And fall presents its own obstacles to concentration, lol. I am in some serious summer doldrums, just can't concentrate on transcripts that are piling up. Wasted serious time googling court reporting assignments in England this morning...or France...or Holland. Maybe The Hague needs me! Very light work required, heavy nursery and garden perusing a must. What a summer daydreamer. Middle of last night I wake up and wonder what happened to the Tropoaelum polyphyllum I ordered in a dreamy moment last winter, then completely forgot this morning that I remembered, if you get my drift. Nagged all morning by the sense I'd forgotten something very important. Finally, the other shoe dropped. Of course, the nasturtium! Another urgent reason, perhaps the 20th since breakfast, to leap up out of the chair again and head into the garden. I had tipped the unnamed and unremembered contents of a pot showing no growth out in a compost pile when I returned from vaca in May, having not a clue of what it was I had carefully planted in the pot. There resided the root of the T. polyphyllum, (scroll down page) which was still intact. Daniel Hinkley had just written about it on his blog which is probably why I was struck with a bolt of remembrance in the wee hours. His first sentence really brings back memories of the old Hinkley catalogue brio, doesn't it?

Kathy, the kangaroo paws are in the ground. Just pulled a phygelius from that spot which was burning in full sun. I think I'm pulling all phygelius from the garden in fall. Sun lovers but not really...ouch, that's too hot, ooh, aah, too much, oh, I'm cold now...more water, please. I'm going to check out some yarrow, maybe Terracotta again or Anthea.

Chelone, at Eden's instigation, I rented the Curb Your Enthusiasm series, and the episode with Mel Brooks hiring Larry David in the Producers so it would free Mel and Anne from the burdens of that musical when Larry tanks in the lead role, but he's then so bad in the role he's a hit....pretty funny.

Off to the salt mines...or in the general direction thereof...

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Hello Idylls

A lot has been going on here while company visited!! I've only skimmed briefly but have loved the photos and am DELIGHTED that there are new cameras out there as we all get to enjoy the results. Cynthia - I was truely sorry to read about Katie. It must leave a huge void in your life, but no one could have done more to enrich hers. The pleasure you got from each other was very evident and a joy to observe. Hugs to you and the rest of your 4 footed crew who are no doubt missing her as well.

This has certainly been the summer for us for having people visit and it has been wonderful, and helps make up for not being able to go to England. We had a great time with SIL and neice, and I have just one week (when I hope to finish the powder room) before Ruth, Ivan now(6) and Iris(4) are here. We are also hosting a child through the Fresh Air Fund who will arrive next week for a fortnight. David came up with the idea after reading about the program which gives inner city kids the opportunity to experience a vacation with a host family and DH and I both thought it was a great idea. We have been assigned a ten year old boy from New York City. It could be an interesting experience for us all.

Meanwhile, Annie is busy taking part in a summer production of the musical Beauty and the Beast (she is a plate and a beggar woman). She has also discovered how much she enjoys being part of the stage crew, which she did for the High Schoolers musical "Grease". David is at a golf camp in the mornings and spending hours playing the guitar, inspired by his guitar course.

I have been grabbing time in the garden whenever possible (which has unfortunately not been a lot) but photos from IU5 have been very inspirational. Some things are gorgeous right now, others.... errr, a little "wild" but it all still brings me pleasure. As usual, the summer is flying by all too fast.

A big wave to one and all

Mary

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Just a quickie...I don't want to forget to congratulate Martie on the coming grandbaby...YAY FOR YOU! We have a fair sprinkling of steps and halfs in our family, but none of us have ever looked at it that way. As a matter of fact, when Mom had my younger sister and the postmistress referred to her as my half-sister, I was a bit miffed.
    Michelle..Aw, Kenzie's right that was NOT nice to her, lol! I love the way kids phrase things. I have a niece who always said, "I can't like that" about any new foods.
    Okay, I gotta run. It looks like a bomb went off both inside and outside the house. DH and I are taking DD and her beau to see the one and only JIMMY BUFFETT tomorrow! Coincidentally, I cast my magic spell on DH at a Buffett concert. 17 years later....might as well take the kids, but they both seem pretty smitten already ;)
    Brenda

• chelone
    15 years ago

The helpmeet is MIA. Wrecks is home and the stairway is "dog-proofed". The reusable grocery bags are still in the pantry. This leaves one option... the sailboat. He began excising the rotten portions of the deck one week ago tomorrow and there are two more necrotic sections to go. He cleaned up the stuff he cut out last Tuesday this morning (in time for the trash guys), ignoring my pleas over the course of the week. I will NOT clean up his messes unless they're in the kitchen. I have been patiently stepping over the waste and the tools in the house for 6 days and I just want to see it completed. Lest you fancy me a wicked task-master please know that I am mindful of the necessity of fun on days off. I am also very task-oriented (I worked for "piece rate" for many very successful years); I am organized, thorough, and like to see things finished or left neatly for the resumption of work the next day. I am really tired of patiently waiting and being "understanding". I am going to put the hugest of dogs in the wagon and go buy some wine. I need him to remind me that a ride is fun.

Not sure about the color of the cushion for V.'s prim wicker chair, Wendy. I'd rather see a long shot showing the chair against the facade of the house before committing myself... I might even pull a Deanne or an Eden and give the chair a proprietary coat of something delivered via aerosol. :) (can you say, "radical"?).

I have to quit yakkin', get downstairs and do some work, and return some calls.

:/

PS: dogs really like to ride in the car. And the tennis ball is the best invention in the world.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Quick correction, the lily is Orienpet 'Triumphator' and not 'Silk Road" ;o)

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Evening all,

Im a tired person tonight and I didnt do anything but deadhead stuff and paint. Anyway, thought Id check in before getting in my jammies and heading off to bed. The lily perfume from the gardens tried to lure me away from my painting table all day but I didnt succumb. I had a docs appointment and they have to adjust my orthotics one more time and then Im off the hook with the podiatrist until I opt for the surgery to repair the toe.

Michelle, thanks for the Ids on those lilies. I have Strawberry Candy as well as Wild Mustang and they are quite similar. SC is a beauty! ~~ That Secret Garden is looking fabulous! What a change. Youve done wonders.

Chelone you have more fortitude than I, leaving your DHs messes underfoot for a week. That kind of thing makes me CRAZY. Normally hell do something like that then go out of town for a week so he doesnt even have to look at it and Im tripping over it until I give up and clean up the mess. As I said one of those things that makes me crazy.

Brenda, enjoy that Jimmy Buffett concert. Im jealous. Id love to see him in person.

Mary, great to hear from you. Sounds like your social schedule is full! Id love to hear David play guitar again.

Denise, LOL about remembering that Tropoaelum polyphyllum in the middle of the night then finding the root in good shape in the dumped out pot. Amazing the things our brains will remember when we arent trying. ~~ Its a shame youre taking out your phygelius. I just love them! They are some of my treasured container plants here. ~~ Yes it was a test of my endurance to not wander around outside today and keep my rear end at my painting table. Im hoping I can finish up the piece tomorrow. Just in time. Class is Friday.

Wendy, I potted up my Rex Begonias in either shallower containers with better drainage or the one larger pot I did the whole bottom half is loose coco fiber and rocks and that drains at light speed. Even with that they are still not too happy but if I hadnt done that theyd probably be dead. ~~~ BTW, thanks for the daturas!
    {{gwi:168429}}

Saucy, I love The Well Designed Mixed Garden by Tracy DiSabato Aust. Great book with lots of terrific ideas.

OK I was up at 5:30 and Im turning into a pumpkin.

Later
    Deanne

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

For a moment I thought Deanne was a weenie, since I got up at 5:15 and am still going strong, and then I remembered that her 5:30 is an hour before mine! Goodnight, my friend.

Thanks for the comments on the rooster and the urn. I forgot to mention that the pot will hold a fern as soon as I have a second to purchase one. I plant to plant it in a smaller pot so it can be easily lifted in the fall.

Michelle and Saucy, you'll have quite a time stealing the rooster. The base is solid cement and weighs quite a bit. I can move it a bit but not really lift it. Beau Kimball found the rooster in Ontario as part of an old weathervane. There still was one directional letter attached on another part that did not survive - the letter O for "Ouest". So he's a French-Canadian rooster. ;)

Chelone and Deanne, my DH is another who doesn't put things away when he is done. In fact, he has been known to buy new tools to replace ones that he cannot find! Drives me nuts, especially when I am cleaning up after myself and he tries to push me to the next job before I'm done.

Chelone, yes indeed that chair needs a cushion. I shall have to be a bit more organized and get a couple more photos. I've been known to cut loose with the spray paint can, myself, so that's a distinct possibility...

Wendy, that is indeed a polemonium in that pot. Good eyes!

Brenda, have a great time at the Buffett concert.

We've been enjoying the pond quite a bit the last several days. The water is just warm enough to be comfortable but still cool you off. We've also been able to get by without the A/C at the same time. Storms are supposed to roll in tonight, though.

TTYL,

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Quickie post tonight, my realtor will be over for a strategy session shortly..

Deanne, I dont think the K. thrysifolia will root by leaf cuttings. I will look around to see if I can find one in a small pot that might survive a US mail journey to NH. Sometimes they have them in the succulent section at Target

Hi Marywow, I am in awe of your intent to take in a city-kid for 2 weeks ! Its a good thing there are people like you in our world.

Ok, thats all I have for tonight. Waving hi !

Kathy in Napa

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Skimming quickly so, V, I forgot to mention how much I liked the pedestal you built up for your rooster, esp using the "found" condenser piece, as well as the little guy himself. Our garage wind vane is a proud cockerel. And I love the glimpse of the pond through the deck railings. And belated congrats to Martie too on the grandbaby-to-be. And Mary, what a great program to participate in. Since we're definitely "inner city" here, I'm not sure how much fresh air could be gained by a youngster coming here!

Nice emergency ortho work, Wendy.

Did the helpmeet manage to sneak out for a sail or just more work on the sailboat? I mentioned this tidbit to Marty, and he responded with an enigmatic Cheshire smile (thinking about his little red sailboat in the driveway he's itching to get at, no doubt).

By now Brenda is singing along to Wasted Away Again in Margaritaville...

• chelone
    15 years ago

Oh it was definitely a sail, Denise. The mighty Cape Dory Typhoon was plying the waves of the north Atlantic for several hours yesterday afternoon. :) It was a beautiful day for it.

The deck brownies did not arrive last night to ply their trade on our property, either. I kept my lip buttoned and we had a nice dinner together. Maybe they'll be at work today?

With regard to tools and their care... We've had a couple of very bad fights over the years when I've found MY tools left outdoors or misused. MY tools are MINE, purchased by me for me with MY money, not to be used without my express permission (nor do I loan my tools). I have well over a dozen pair of shears and scissors (all for specific tasks which do not include cutting up chicken), an extensive collection of measuring tools (which are not to be used as guides when using the circular saw or highlighted with Sharpie), specialized upholstery equipment (don't leave my expensive stapler out when rain is imminentor mislay my tack hammer), and I HAD a very nice collection of paintbrushes, which have mysteriously appeared caked in dried oil-based paint in the various locations. It was the paintbrushes that caused the last one, actually. My 4" natural bristle varnish brush was appropriated to apply bottom paint (the nastiest paint in the world) on the boat and still hasn't been replaced. My workroom has a lock on the door and I pointedly began locking it for some weeks after the theft. That was a very unpopular move, BTW. Like I cared? Never, ever screw with a treadesman's tools and don't ever consider it marital property. Trust me on this.

I did some alteration work and returned some calls last night, cashing it in before wrapping a friend's birthday gift (CD by Madeleine Peyroux called "Careless Love", she reminds me of Billie Holiday). It's going to be a long day today the culmination being a much needed haircut that should revive me for a late alteration app't.. Frankly, I rather be lazily sailing today, too.

I'd best get this day underway, 12 hrs. and counting.

Michelle, go soak up some sun in the Secret Garden for me, willya? those teeny-weeny Morning Glories are precious. I hear rabbit is pretty low fat... ;)

My lilies are all budded up and should put on a nice show (except the ones stepped on by the painters).

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning :-)

Enjoying everyone's posts but no time this morning.

V...love the rooster and the Sansaveria babies...water so close to your deck? How great is that?!

Deanne...so that is what is wrong with my tuberous begonias? I didn't think you could give them too much water. Wrong again. We had another 3 inches of rain but thankfully no wind/hail.

Michelle...the Secret Garden is really starting to look great! I relayed what Kenzie had to say about the rabbit to my DH and we both got a good chuckle out of it. So sweet. LOVE those lilies!

Thanks for the Tower Hill sale link, Saucy. :-) Looks good.

Hi Wendy...had a chance to look at some of your garden photos from a link in another post. Your garden is looking great this year!

Denise...I saw Orania combined with another lily a couple of years ago on the Whiteflower Farm site. Not sure if it is still there, but I loved it. I don't think it was a solid color either.

Hi Mary! Glad you are enjoying your summer.

That's it. Time to go check what's going on around here...

Today is supposed to be the best day of the week weather wise. Dry air, so they say, but I haven't left the air conditioning yet. :-)

pm2

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well I must have been really tired as I feel asleep right at 9 and didnt wake until 6 this AM. That painting stuff must take it out of me. LOL V. truth be told I really am a weenie. Te he.

V. I forgot to mention yesterday that I love, love, love that rooster as well.

Kathy, you are a wonder! If you can find one that would be great but let me check out our local Targets. Who knows? Maybe Ill find one here. If not and you do find one Ill trade you for fuchsias after youve moved to your new location? Speaking of fuchsias, you should see my Fuchsia Christina right now. It is beyond belief! Loaded, loaded with buds and enormous. The plant is probably two feet tall and as wide and soon there wont be a pic of green showing. Got to love it.

Chelone, I so understand about the tool thing. Doug will borrow my pliers and screwdrivers because hes lost his then mine disappear into the ether somewhere. The other thing that mysteriously takes a walk is my measuring tape that I keep on a hanger in the pantry. Makes me crazy, especially when I buy a replacement because the original is hopelessly lost and then that one goes for a walk as well. My tools are all on a peg board in my framing and matting workshop downstairs so there is no way to lock them up. LOL

Okie Dokie, must run, we got another T storm through here yesterday but not enough for the containers so Im off to water then work. Hopefully Ill finish that painting today.

Have a terrific day everyone,
    Deanne

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I have no idea about the Typhoon of which Chelone speaks, but I was in the garden yesterday afternoon, when suddenly this magical southern breeze came through....it was odd, as if someone flipped a switch and everything blew the other way :)

I would like to ride on a sailboat....maybe in Newport RI

Michelle, the Secret Garden is coming along so nicely! You have such an artful eye :) I like the clear yellows, too.

I am guilty of not putting things away when I'm done. So is DH. Together we make quite the pair. Can you imagine the children we're raising? They'll go out into the world and procreate....an so on...and so on....until we mess makers finally take over the world...insert evil laugh here :)

Having said that, DH's messes are far worse than mine :)

V., thanks for the info regarding the rooster....Michelle, looks like it was intended to sit atop your shed! We're gonna need some of your heavy equipment to get it in place :)

Deanne has fortitude.

Well, first to the dentist for the children't biannual torture session, and then we're off to the zoo. I really don't care for the zoo in summer (don't all the animals sleep?) but the kids insist that they would like to do this :)

Deanne, the reason I've never seen your garden in high summer just dawned on my....my kids are home :) I always come by when they're at school.

PM, I keep forgetting to answer you on something, but it pops into my head at the oddest moments. Know that I'm thinking of it....just can't seem to get it to the Idylls :)

Saucy

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Saucy - I'm envious that you only have two dentist visits a year. Annie is in her 4th year of monthly orthodontic visits which can be a juggle to schedule. Her crowding/misalignment was so severe in the beginning it was uncertain as to whether braces alone would be enough. I'm endlessly thankful we didn't have to resort to surgery where they would have had to break her jaw to reconfigure it. Enjoy the zoo!

Wendy - I'm impressed with your Ortho skills! We've had the odd broken bracket but nothing that has required home repair.

V - on having time to read posts at last I saw both your children have been involved backstage with plays as well. It is a whole new world for me and I enjoy hearing from Annie about what is involved. Watching plays together is soemthing we all love to do.

Add my DH to those who has been known to buy tools rather than look for those we already own. When I organized our motley collection before starting on the powder room I found many sets of multiples. For someone who tends to frugality like myself it drives me nuts!!!!

Michelle - your lilies are stunning. I've loved Deanne's thread too. I must be the only one suffereing from lily beetle this year. Its a first for me - does anyone have an organic remedy other than hand picking?

Martie - how cool to see the offspring of my cleome in your pot!! I have an ocean of self seeded purple and pink behind my raspberries I am loving right now.

I'm only half way through commenting to but this morning is actually one of the very first I've had in weeks with no one in the house or guests arriving. I should be being wildly productive and catching up on housework but instead I'm drinking lots of coffee and Idylling.

So I'll say a quick hello to Cindy, Woody, Cynthia, Sue, Denise, Kathy, PM, Chelone, Brenda, GB, Jerri, Babs, Eden, Anise, Marian and anyone else I've missed who makes this such a fun destination.

Have a great day!

Mary

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Mary...on the Dueling Banjos thread, I posted my awful foliage from Lily Beetles. You are not alone. I was hand picking because I am organic too, but this year, I just didn't have the energy. I am actually contemplating getting rid of lilies all together, which would really hurt!

Saucy...Don't worry, I can't remember either...lol. I would also like to ride a sailboat around Newport's coast.

I was going to head out and do something in the garden, but it is still H&H here. Once I got out of the A/C, my energy disappeared and I am back in the house for the day. Still have reading and note taking to do. We are in the market for another cheap computer laptop, so looking for what is available on sale now.

Not having to water...wonderful!

Has anyone heard from Marian? Wondering where she disappeared to. We know what Eden is up to. Anita? Wondering how you are doing, Cynthia. It's been quite awhile since we heard from Ei, hasn't it? Wondering how Drema's brother is doing. I imagine the grandchildren are keeping Norma busy.

Ok...have to get something done.. :-)

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Happy gorgeous Tuesday Morning!! It is stunningly sunny and Clear and Dry but I slept until 10a so haven't had an opportunity to go out and enjoy quite yet. Don't think I've slept that late since college. LOL

Mary -- I am so, so, so warmed by David wanting to host a Fresh Air kid. My dad was intimately involved in the late 50's/early 60's with the program and oftimes went to NYC to pick kids up or drop them off. It was during one of those summers that we had a cross burned in our yard for his participation, and I learned a lot about racism and it's ridiculousness at a very early age. To this day I keep in touch with GiGi who we had when I was 11 yo. She swears the program and looking forward to her CT 2 weeks kept her off the streets for several years. Even after she was "too old" we managed to get her out for a bit and it made "all" the difference in her life. Good for David. Good for your Family!! It'll be an experience, but a good one.

One more thing: Many, many of the kids who come through the Fund, especially their first year, have never seen stars or have had to deal with garden-type insects, etc. A huge hint is to save any yard camping overnights until the second week so they don't get terrified. Pretty shameful that gunshots don't phase these kids, but a butterfly will scare the patoot out of them.

Michelle -- I am loving Kenzie's garden and she put my feelings about rabbits into total perspective :-) Liquid Fence does work, except I've learned on white Campanulas "chips" you have to double dose since they seem to think it's filet.

V: Congrats on your finds! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Okay, I need to get outside so hi!! to everyone I missed in lieu of getting really excited about Mary and David's new adventure :-)

Martie

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK how'd I get so far behind again? I've been seriously editing the gardens and am now ready to put the plants on wheels. Have to wait a bit though, we're forcast temps in the 90s the next few days. Bella's been sick all week and come to find out has strep throat so she's been keeping us all busy trying to keep her comfortable the last few days. My mom and dad are back in MI and we were all able to get together at my sister's for dinner one night. It was so good to see them!

I wish I could stay and chat but I just have time to check in tonight. I'll try to get caught up and be back soon. Just wanted to say hi!

Eden

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Hi all.... I am okay. So is Nolon. We are just working on surviving the arrival of the real summer heat and humidity.
    The loss of our potable water for a day added to our discomfort. It happened last Friday. I had been outside for a little while, and when I came in there was nothing but air in our faucets. Right away Nolon walked the 600 feet of line to the meter and found no unusual wetness. There was no sign of a problem around the house, but the meter was running! He went back up to the meter and shut the water off. I commenced calling for assistance, and could find no help from the water company ! So, I called the young man who had dug our farm pond several years ago. He had done an excellent job, and the water co. lady said he was still in the back hoe business. No answer at his house, but an answering machine. I left my message. He called back in the morning, and was at our house in an hour or so. It didn't take him long to discover the loss was due to a blown pipe under our house ! He went for the needed parts, and had it fixed in no time. I was in the house writing a check, when I heard his pickup start. As he drove by the front door I called to him that I had his check. He said, " I don't charge old folks." !!!! I was shocked ! We hardly know the man ! He has restored my faith in mankind ! :-)

We are still having unseasonably wet weather. I have only had to water the outside containers a few times, and the in ground stuff only in spots that are prone to dry out fast...espacially Hydrangeas.
    The deck containers are bursting with beauty. Everytime I look out at it from the utility door's window, I am delighted and amazed. I wish I could get the full effect of it in a picture.

I have been keeping up with all your activities, and all the lovely pictures, both of your own things, and of the IU pics. I espacilly enjoy the pics of the group, and the children's pics. That Reed gets cuter all the time.:-)
    And Chelone does not disappoint me. :-D

I am happy to hear that Sue is free of her boot and crutches. :-)

I am scheduled to start therapy on my shoulders tomorrow. They are both becoming more and more painful and disabled. Not good, when I am the chauffeur, the yard keeper, the almost everything else. :-(
    I am getting concerned that the carrying in of this winter's firewood may be a bit too much for them :-(
    I was thinking that I may need surgery on them, but my Doctor says it is the arthritis in them. They have both been x-rayed.
    She prescribed a less potent Lyrica. I was taking the 50 mg, and now I have the 25 mg. The 50 was too powerful, and was too hard on my system, both mentally and physically.

Susan, I got your e-mail. Thank you for your concern. I will ans it soon. :-)

Marian

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Hi Marian! Losing your water in the summer would be worrisome. Good thing you got the water shut off quickly - and very nice repair guy (even if he called you old folks - My MIL even in her 80s and with memory problems refuses to countenance the thought that she might be considered 'old' or a 'senior' :-) I'm glad you both are hanging in there - aside from the shoulder problem... do you take glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements? I do and they seem to have helped with the pain that was developing in my right hip, which is showing signs of arthritis. Certainly there has been a lot of overstated claims about what the supplements can do but they do seem to help some people with the pain - and I count myself one of those. It took about 2-3 moths though before I noticed a difference.

On the issue of leaving messes about... I'm the guilty one in this household!

On the weekend an old friend of Randy came to visit. He's been living in Mississippi for the past 20 years or so - a big change from Quebec! We don't get to see him often. Randy made a blueberry pie for dessert - it's one of Randy's specialties... The pie is gone now but it gave me a craving for blueberry desserts so today I made blueberry shortcake.My shortcake is a bit odd - I make it the way my grandmother did and I've never seen a recipe for it that is like hers. The blueberries are cooked in a layer crust of biscuit dough. It's very good, especially served hot, and doesn't last long as you can see from this picture:
    {{gwi:168430}}

Eden - it must feel so good to have your parents back. I hope Bella gets better soon

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Mmm - that Blueberry dessert looks yummy. Looks like a Portmeirion plate too, Woody;0) I made a pie tonight - a gluten free plum pie. I had invited the DH of a good friend over for dinner as his family are away all month. I know he is missing them and thought he would enjoy a home-made meal. We had fish kebabs on the grill, my special creamed corn, new potatoes and pie. We ate on the patio, and everything was washed down with a rather nice white wine. Not many left-overs here either.

After supper we went to our school playing fields. David had saved his pocket money for a remote controlled model plane and had been super excited about trying it out this afternoon. We thought the school had the largest unobstructed area. The plane flew like a dream for precisely 30 seconds until it caught a wind current and sailed out of control over the fence and into a tall tree. (Do planes sail?) David and my efforts were hopeless in freeing it but our supper guest had no trouble throwing some large sticks into the canopy, dislodging the plane and climbing down a sheer drop to retrieve it. A good end to the day!

Eden - so glad you could enjoy some family time with your parents. Hope Bella's Strep is soon gone.

PM - sorry you are suffering the same fate from the lily beetles. Yuk!!

Martie - how interesting to read about your father's involvement with the Fresh Air Fund, though awful that such racism was encountered. I'll let you know how our visit goes. I was talking with David about the fact that our Fresh Air kid might not be used to being on his own or the quiet at night. David offered to make a recording of traffic noises to play in bed to make him feel at home LOL!

Have a good evening everyone

Mary

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Susan, My doctor suggested that I take Glucosamine/Chondroitin, and I am glad you reminded me.:-)
    I went right immediately and took 3 ( that is the dosage reccomended on the bottle). She said it would take awhile before I would notice any help.

That is funny about your mother-in-law not admitting to being old. I KNOW that I am . :-)
    How is she doing? Did the minerals do her any good ?

Your blueberry shortcake looks good. I am doing very little baking, and not much cooking, lately. In town today I bought a lot of microwave food. The checkout gal commented, " It looks like you don't plan on cooking." I said , "You've got that right" ! LOL
    And I don't feel a bit guilty about it. Nolon has cut way back on his food, and if I cook more than we will eat at one setting, it usually goes to waste. Most of the microwave dinners are just the right size for each of us, and there is a large variety of them.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Buenos noches Idylls Another harried day at the office, and one of my staff and I are off to Spokeane Wa in the morning for some business meetings and a preview of outdoor living stuff for next year. Hope our hotel has internet available like our IU5 hotel did so I can check in! Dont feel like dragging my lap-top up with me .

So over on Saucys photo thread PM posted the dreaded lily-leaf beetle damage pics. That is way-ugly ! It reminds me of what my Hostas look like in summer after the snails ruin them ! At least they dont eat the flowers. I guess you would need to plant them in a strategic location behind something that would obscure the yukky foliage ?

Marian ! Glad all is well with you and Nolan, and how very nice of that young man to comp you the repair job.

Denise , I pulled Phygelius for invasiveness reasons-it goes everywhere. Stuck it in a pot where it languishes. Have you started an IU6 fund ? I recommend it highly. (with the proper recuperation period of course).

Deanne, any fuchsia is my friend. A trade works for me ! Let me know how you fare on the search for the K. thrysifolia. Look at Home Cheap-o too- Ours had a pretty good selection of succulents this summer .

Eden, glad you got to enjoy some time with you Mom and Dad..poor Bella ! Strep throat is so miserable . A sore throat is one of those things that you cant seem to soothe, no matter which remedy you try, purchased or otherwise

Ok this is all for me tonite.

Where is Cindy ?

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Hello hello from the middle of the country. We're having quite the lightning show to the south, but it looks like the rain will stay south.

Marian, I'm glad to hear all is well. I can't think of a better situation in which to be called "old folks"! Very nice of the young man, and I hope someone repays his kindness to him some day in the distant future.

Hmm, that rain that we aren't getting is sounding rather loud on the roof right now...

Woody, you're killing me with the blueberry shortcake!

Mary, yes, both of my kids loved working backstage. DD had some mid-level rolls in middle school, but decided she liked the behind-the-scenes work better. She did a lot of set construction, and probably could go head-to-head with Chelone in a power tool showdown. ;) She got involved enough to be awarded some scholarship money at the end of HS and to get some small checks for her community theater work. More than $$ though, she finds it very rewarding personally.

By the way, I forgot to mention how cool it is that you are participating in the Fresh Air program.

We had a fresh chicken and Mirai sweet corn on the grill tonight, as well as a nice bottle of white wine. And I get to start one hour late tomorrow morning - woo hoo!

V.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

This seems to be the night to share food. So I'll do my bit too. This was quick, easy AND delicious.

Here's a video for starters:
    See below.

But here's the recipe I actually sort of followed because you bake it all at once rather than in stages:
    http://onebiteofthecherry.blogspot.com/2007/02/pesto-feta-and-tomato-tart.html

And voila! I actually took a bite before I realized I hadn't snapped a photo. I used a "rainbow" collection of different tomatoes. My pesto was purchased, but it has pine nut pieces in it and is extra good. YUM!

{{gwi:168432}}

Saturday is the day Skyler arrives, so I need to get this house organized for him and me too. There's the bedroom to fix up, kid food to buy, etc. I wish the garden would stay weeded so that I could ignore it, but no...it is a mess in many areas.

Good to hear from both Eden and Marian. By the way, I just received my official old age security card. Gee I didn't like that word "old" applied to me....It's OK if I use it but to have the world think "old" before anything else is a bit disturbing. Why not "cheerful" or "fun" or "talented" or "silly" or "clever" or any number of things before age...I'm kidding myself I guess. I'm Methusela in the eyes of many.

Guess who is into gymnastics...OUCH!
    {{gwi:168434}}
    Yesterday he decided to play in his toy box and scatter the toys everywhere. I think that just might be a smart arrangement!
    {{gwi:168436}}

Off to bed!
    'bug

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Wow, that's some prune on Reed, to use my Mom's word for it.
    It might not be cheering to know a new phenom has been identified as the "groovy old man." Women, for reasons unclear, cannot be groovy and old simultaneously.

What a rotten deal to have strep throat midsummer. Poor Bella.

Food: Saucy's recent bean salad inspired the same for dinner here tonight.

Totally missed the earthquake today, 5.4, a) either in the car or b) shopping for bean salad ingredients.

Ducking out quickly, waving good night.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Strep throat is no fun anytime, but summertime has to be the worst, Eden. It must be great to have your parents home, too. It will be fun to see how you rearranged and thinned (?) your back yard eden, too. Come visit ME and work some of your magic here, huh?

Quick! shut the lid on that kid! :) I see he sports his war wound with the studied grace only a toddler can manage. I'm drooling over the taHt, but will pass on the creation of it. Clean up is my forte, ask the Idyllettes about my Ms. Clean routine in Les. and Monique's room. Am liking the concept of a garden that remains weeded very much.

I'm facing day two of the marathon work day. A cool 13 hours yesterday and another 10+ today, though yesterday was interrupted by a haircut. Newly shorn and feeling lighter and immeasurably better groomed I am ready to face the masses of boaters with canvas crises.

The deck brownies made an appearance yesterday and I believe they will repeat the treat today. Progress is grindingly slow, but the buttoned lip has proven a boon. A muffled message on the machine informed me that the gutters should be up tomorrow; perhaps that will put an end to the shredded hosta leaves, tattered victims of the torrential rain sheeting off the roof.

I noticed the LLBs have rediscovered the remnants of the Asiatic lilies (I smeared about 7 of them on Squishing Rock). I have to repeat the preventive dousing if I hope to spare the lovely Orientals, who's buds are swelling in the warmth and sunshine.

Much more to comment on, but alas, I'm again bringing up the rear with respect to reading, so I'll leave it at that.

Gotta go.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Denise, we heard about the earthquake over dinner....we could not "hear" the broadcast, but from across the room we could surmise there were few if no injuries? Everyone had smiles on during the news piece.

V., leftover marai corn goes good in the cold bean salad :)

The zoo was great! The kids had a blast. Jake got rammed in the bum while in the petting zoo, which tickled his 14 y.o. funny bone, and Sarah participated in the coolest dog show I've ever seen!

GB, we call that a Goose Egg :)

Poor Bella. Fun treat for sore throat: Jello tea. The jello coats your throat and is pretty tasty to a kid :) Nothing really works, though.....just time.

My husband has funny stories of his time with a Fresh Air kid. He and his brother enjoyed it from the kid's perspective. Mary, that is a very cool thing to do for your family. If more people would take the time to listen and get to know each other, I think this world would be better for it....

I'm so full of ideas from reading my Mixed Border book! I'm bursting to get ideas on paper and rework beds! I keep looking for building materials in the want ads....which brings me to:

Remember the statues at the 4th IU5 garden? I think there is a similar set for sale in the want ads! Anyone in the NE area want me to check them out for you?

PM, I remembered: The reason I became exasperated with the gym was this: I worked out everyday for 2 hours. Seriously lifting weights....worked with a trainer....and nothing changed for me. Not a dress size, not a pound. I felt good on the inside, but I really wanted other people to see how hard I was working....therein lies the problem! But who wouldn't want to look different after working out so hard?

I do miss being strong, and I'm going back just for my health. I guess I just needed to pout about it for a while :) If I stay the same as I am, hey, it's a pretty good body to be stuck in.....I guess I thought I'd look like Demi Moore by the time I got to 40.

It will be interesting to see what happened to my BP and heart rate at my upcoming dr.s appointment....and though I couldn't seem to lose a pound, gaining them is no problem :)

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Morning all, and a beautiful morning it is here. This thread is zipping along at light speed the last couple days. Neat!

Well the 'Tarragona' lilies are in their final stages with just a couple flowers left on the top. Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope to heck the voles dont eat them over the winter. The Casa Blanca are doing their thing but after the Casas are finished that will be the end of the lily season. (Pouting here). But, insert drumroll, the fuchsias are beginning their huge display and will continue to amaze and please until I take them in just before the first frost. They are so worth all the work . All the Beacon varieties are putting on quite a show and the Christina is stupendous. Ill have to grab a couple photos for you all.

Bug, that tomato thing looks scrumptious! Is is a pizza or a tomato torte? Whatever it is looks divine. What kind of crust do you use? ~~ Poor Reed, thats quite the goose egg. Good thing toddlers mostly bounce. If wed hit our heads that hard theyd be cracked.

Eden, sorry Bella has strep. Miserable for all involved. So glad to hear you got to see your parents.

Denise, glad to hear the earthquake didnt cause you any problems. I thought of you when I heard the news.

Kathy my Phygelius in pots do pretty well. Monique grows them right in her borders but of course they arent hardy here so not an invasive issue. Ill let you know if I find that plant and Ill send you fuchsias whether we trade or not. This year I threw out about 20 or so rooted cuttings because I couldnt use them all.

Mary, how terrific you are going to participate in the Fresh Air Fund. Neat! Youll have to let us know all about it.

Woody, that blueberry shortcake put two pounds on my bum just looking at the pictures! LOL

Chelone, I lol when I read about your squishing rock as I have several of them about the gardens and if none is available I just squish them between my thumb and forefinger. Hence, I always have stained thumbnails this time of the year.

PM bummer about the beetle damage. Ive found if you go out when the sun first comes up the beetles hang about the upper parts of the plants and are easier to spot. About the third year I dealt with the beasties I started pulling all my lilies out then the following year decided to just deal with the beetles as I dont want to live without lilies. So I squish bugs and do one treatment with a pesticide when the lilies first emerge in the spring and it keeps them to tolerable levels.

Mary, Ive got lots of lily beetles but I do keep after them and they havent been as bad this year as in the past. I cant believe theyve made their way as far west as Rochester though.

Saucy you do realize that you could bring the children if you wanted to see the summer gardens?

OK time to water the containers and get downstairs and pick up my brushes. Im almost done the dratted painting. Im hoping its finished today so I can get some garden time in tomorrow.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Walk by wave to all! Glad everything's okay with you, Denise. Can't imagine at all what an earthquake must feel like.

Goose egg here, too. Owey!!

'bug: Ky wanted to try the fried squash blossoms last night and we hunted back for the recipe. Found it -- in French :-) Since he's a Spanish and Japanese speaker, and Rich's French is crude at best, is there an English version we could use? Suppose I could Google, but thought I'd like it better from you. LOL

Good to see Marian pop in, and Eden, too. Lots of frozen apple juice for Bella coming up!! Poor thing :-(

Later -

Martie

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Mary, what an interesting program, youll have to tell us all about it.

Awww, poor Reed sending virtual kisses. They always make it feel better.

Eden, I hope Bella feels better quickly. Its not fun to be sick especially in the summer. Im sure its good to have your parents back.

Deanne, Im running just a little behind you. My Casablancas and Tom Pouce arent started yet. Im glad that you mentioned that the fuchsias are just getting started as I was wondering why mine werent blooming much. Im pleased to say that I have several that are doing well this year. One that I overwintered is getting quite large (for me at least)

Im glad that I dont have lily leaf beetles here ;o)

Rick and I are taking glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate and seem to benefit from it. He has bad knees from a his life of milking cows.

Marian, good to hear from you. That is an amazing young man.

Martie, whats interesting is that they have only bothered a few things this year and only in 2 areas. I have white clips campanula only 10 feet from the ornamental kale and cabbage and they never touched it.

V, if you hear a skid loader motor running, you know its me and Saucy.

I was able to score 11 glazed pots for 75% off. They are varying sizes and colors, but several cobalt blue which I love. I repotted a few things in a couple but its nice to have extras in the shed. You never know when you need one.

We take off tomorrow for our family campout. We will be back on Sunday. Kenzie is pretty excited to be able to sleep with us in our camper.

Later
    Michelle

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Deanne, that's a Tomato Tart. I buy the puff pastry and pesto, add the tomatoes and then the feta. You could add fresh basil on top too. Anyway, SIMPLE and very good. That recipe above couldn't get any easier.

Wendy, as to the deep fried zucchini blossoms, I suggest Google. I've never done it myself. I have a friend whose husband made them last weekend, but they are French speaking as well...

Lots of rain here today, and HEAT. All I've accomplished is exercise class, a load of laundry, dog walking, dishes...Doesn't seem like much! The sparrows are everywhere today! I wonder what brought them out on all my trellises? And the wildflowers along the roads are a delight: tansy, chicory, and Queen Anne's Lace...which is a European member of the parsley family, which also includes carrots, angelica, and hemlock.

Better get something done around here!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Waving hi to all -- drive by post -- totally scorching hot here - outside and in the office....Life is just too darned complicated sometimes. It's supposed to be high 90s here for a week or more -- it should all be toast in the garden pretty soon, despite any watering attempts.

Glad to hear Eden had a get-together w/ her family & parents; love all the photos!

--Cindy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Howdy, Im resting in my favorite chair (Moniques favorite chair as well LOL) with a lovely, crisp glass of white wine and enjoying the evening. What brought on wine on Wednesday night you ask? Ahhh. The blasted painting is fini! Yes done, as in finished along with ten pages of detailed instructions. Im good to teach on Friday. Phew, I cut this one way too close for comfort. Perhaps I should start working on the September class project next week?

The gardens are still smelling like lily haven and there are still some daylilies doing their thing as well. Ive still got flowers coming on the Jolyene Nichole and that is a wonder as that started blooming a few weeks ago.

Michelle, yes, the overwintered fuchsia dont really get going until end of June/July. They have a few flowers earlier but the big push of blossoms usually starts around mid July or so. Wait until you see your over wintered fuchsias in September. That is when they really hit their stride. ~~ Great score on those pots!

Saucy we are getting take outs for dinner here to this evening. Both of us worked until seven and are too tired to think about fixing dinner. Im sure Popcorn is going to be really happy bunking in with Jake.

Chelone, you crack me up. That must have been some pretty powerful blood meal for its ambiance to waft over to your BILs house.

Bug Im going to have to try that tomato tart. Also Ill have to try Woodys Blueberry Delight if she posts the recipe?

OK time to get off the computer and get some dinner.

Have a great evening all,
    Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

It's white wine for me tonight too. The patio fountain is scrubbed and refilled (a tedious job, BTW but worth it), the hot tub water is balanced. the pots are all watered and I managed to squeeze in a stretch and Pilates workout. All since I got home from work at five. Now it's time to toss a hunk of fresh sea bass on the grill, steam some asparagus and enjoy what's left of the night. Then it's off to bed to rest up for what lies ahead tomorrow. The good news is all my must do chores are done for the week. Now I can pick and choose.

Has anyone else noticed how fast daylight is fading? Not to rain on the height of summer parade but by next week it will be dark when I get up at 5:15. A month ago the sun was out. Same deal at night. I had to stop eating dinner on the patio because it's pretty much dark by 8:30 and mosquitoes come out. Boo hoo on that front.

Enjoy your night!

Sue

• chelone
    15 years ago

Welcome to MY world, Sue! I now have to use headlights when I pull out of the driveway at 5:30 AM. Where the hell have YOU been for the past 3 wks.?! Get with the EST program, sweetheart. ;) (if you ever need a "wake up" call, I'm reliably THERE).

Clearly, "mousie" is wonderfully reliable when cleaned of "mung", directing me to desired sites with alacrity. It's good to be mechanically pro-active.

OK, now it's time for me to go "seepy-by-lo". ("l" was intentionally dropped).

Nighty-night.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll join you both in a glass of white too then. I've been cleaning all day. The house was a pit and still is to some extent after the marathon garden cleanup of the last week. Bella was with Jenni today and she's feeling much better. Thanks for all of your well wishes for her.

I can feel summer slowly slipping away too though it was hot and humid here today.

Congrats Deanne on finishing your project. Great feeling isn't it :)

Have a good evening!

Eden

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Deanne - there isn't really a recipe for the blueberry shortcake. This is what I do:

Preheat oven to 450F. Make biscuit dough (I use my recipe for low fat cottage cheese biscuits - I'll include the recipe below...). Divide the dough into three pieces - one large and two smaller pieces. Roll the large piece out and line an 8x8 cakepan with it so that it completely covers the bottom and sides with some draped over the edge. (Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray before putting the dough in!) Roll out the smaller pieces so that they will just fit in the 8x8 pan - but set aside for now.

For the blueberry filling I used one 600g (~1.3lb.) tub (the size of a large margarine tub) of frozen wild blueberries, thawed; one pint of fresh cultivated blueberries; 2T corn starch; 1/2 cup sugar. Combine the berries, sugar and cornstarch and heat in microwave until they are very hot. (You need to have the filling hot when it goes into the pan or else it takes too long in the oven to heat up and the center layer of dough doesn't cook!)

To assemble - put half the hot berry mixture in the dough-lined pan. Place one of the smaller dough pieces that you rolled out earlier on top. Add the rest of the berries on top of that. Then put the final piece of dough on the top. Fold over the edges of the bottom dough layer that were hanging over the edge of the pan. Bake at 450F for ~20-22 minutes. The filling may bubble over so I usually put a sheet of aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven!

Serve warm or cold - but warm is better! (If the filling bubbles over, the end product may look a bit messy but it tastes great!) You can also make strawberry shortcake the same way. Wild strawberries is what Grandma used (it was my sister and my job to pick them!) Since wild strawberries are a bit(!) hard to come by these days, I use cultivated ones but chop them into small pieces. As with the blueberries, get the strawberries hot in the microwave before adding them to the dough.

-----

Low Fat Cottage Cheese Biscuits

Heat oven to 450 F

1 ½ cups flour
    ½tsp. salt
    2 ½ tsp. baking powder
    1/8 cup cold butter
    1 egg
    1 cup low fat (1%) cottage cheese
    ~ ½ cup milk

Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Add 1T. sugar if you want to make sweet biscuits or plan to make cobbler (or blueberry shortcake). Cut in the cold butter using a pastry blender or fork. Make a well and add the egg and cottage cheese. Mix together and add enough milk to form a soft dough that sticks together. How much milk you need will depend on how much liquid is in the cottage cheese. The dough should be slightly sticky but not too wet. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently a few times. Pat out to ~ 1/2- ¾ inches thick. Cut into rounds using a biscuit cutter or water glass. Space biscuits slightly apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 20-22 minutes at 450 F. If you prefer soft-sided biscuits, place the biscuits close together on the cookie sheet or in a cake pan (which is what I do)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

No headlights required here at 5:30 yet, Chelone. Maybe you should move inland...lol.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Woody!!! I appreciate your taking the time to post that. Sorry I posted to the wrong thread! I thought I was posting to the new one. Shows how brain dead I was. So.... now I'll mosey over on to the new thread.

Deanne