Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmcilhargie

Long shots of my garden

Lara Noles
16 years ago

Just took some long shots of my back garden if you'd like to see...

{{gwi:168442}}

{{gwi:168443}}

{{gwi:168445}}

{{gwi:168446}}

{{gwi:168448}}

{{gwi:168449}}

{{gwi:168450}}

{{gwi:168452}}

{{gwi:168453}}

{{gwi:168454}}

{{gwi:168455}}

{{gwi:168456}}

{{gwi:168457}}

Comments (19)

• chelone
    16 years ago

How big is the entire space, Eden? It's beautiful, a perfect little eden just outside your door... . :)

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chelone, It's small, 40'W x 80'L and yep, it's my sanctuary from the craziness of life. I can happily wile away my days back there with the birds, the squirrels and the dog (sometimes Brad and Bella too).

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I recognize this wonderful enchanted garden...though there are many changes.
    Wondering (and fearing) what the farm gardens look like after three weeks away during drought.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Bravo! Each inch appears to be chock full and very interesting. I would love to explore it in person someday.

Michelle

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

It's an amazing and creative garden! I still remember IU1, and pulling up to the house with the small front yard. I was blown away by the suprise of the backyard. My favorite thing is the tree with the cloud and moon. It's a wonderful anchor for the space.

I'm so glad you gave us an updated tour Eden, but pictures really don't do it justice!

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Just beautiful Eden! So, how many containers do you have LOL? I hope to see it someday.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

What a wonderfully idiosyncratic and personal garden, my favorite kind! Definitely inhabited by a plantswoman. Does the first photo depict an elaborate bird-feeding station? I've been meaning to get to a feed supply store (rare in these parts) for a feed trough like yours in the last photo for water plants. Is that Rosa rubrifolia/glauca in the second-to-last photo? And I'm exactly half the size of your "small" garden, 20X40!

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Just lovely, Eden -- I am always astonished by the amount you pack in there -- gives me hope for my own small space -- but the containers - Wow -- you and Deanne must surely be neck & neck w/ numbers! I hope to see this lovely "Eden" some day in person.

--Cindy

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marie, I do hope your garden's fared better than you think. It was great of you to drop everything and go help dd. I know you wouldn't have had it any other way.

Michelle, yes it is chock full. That's why I'm having so much fun planting in all those empty gardens at Jenni's now, lol.

Cynthia, I don't know how much longer the moon's going to be hanging. That dead tree it's on is really decaying.

Monique, I'm not counting, lol. I said I wasn't doing as many as last year. And I didn't do as many combo containers, but I have lots of single plants in pots this year too.

Denise, Brad, my dh, built me the feeding station back in 2000 for my birthday. I don't feed the birds during the summer, but it gets lots of use the rest of the year. We do put peanuts in the top screen for the squirrels year round or they pester us to death. That is rosa glauca. I started that from a cutting three years ago and it's really taken off. I wouldn't have guessed that your garden was small from your pictures. I love to see pictures of what other gardeners do with small areas. I'd love to see more of your wonderful garden!

Cindy, I love seeing pics of your small garden too. I think you have a little more self control than me and that's a good thing :)

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Eden

• just_t
    16 years ago

Eden, I, too, would love to stroll through your gardens, slowly, with cold beverage in hand to delight in all the little surprises intermingled with your gorgeous plants. Beautiful photos!

T.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Eden, I've returned again and again to look carefully at the combinations, trying to use things as "guideposts" to help me orient myself.

I am just dazzled by the lushness of it all, so very different from the way our yard and gaHdens are set up. But it makes sense because you haven't anywhere near the amount of land we have. I just love looking at the pictures, something new everytime I pause at a photograph.

One day, I hope, I'll be able to wander through it "in person". Just lovely!

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Just beautiful, Eden!! It looks like I would see something different every time I walked through it...I love gardens like that!
    Brenda

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Bravo Eden and thanks so much for taking the time to take these photographs for us and to post this. You are one of the most creative gardeners I know of and have truly created an oasis of beauty and serenity. Love it! Hope to visit again sometime.

I'm sick to hear you've got storm damage. I'm crossing my fingers that it won't be as bad as it seems.

Deanne

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Eden-after the damage that was thrown your way I'm glad you have pics of how your garden looked previously. I had just viewed this thread a few hours before the damage and was so proud of what you'd done. I'm thankful that I had the honor to actually stand in your garden when the idylls visited. Since then it has changed so much and is even more beautiful! It will be again. These pics give you a blueprint for the future and will be likely very helpful. Sometimes being forced to make changes brings even better results.

~babs

• just_t
    16 years ago

Just checking in to see if there was any news about the tree removal yet and wondering how your mother is doing.

Thinking of you! I think you'll take this lemon and make some delicious lemonade out of it. Sorry that life is handing you so much right now.

T.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Like Cynthia, I remember pulling up in front at IU1. David was already there and so excited he was literally jumping up and down. The first thing he said to us was "Wait until you see this!". He was right. What a great garden and a great gardener. Thanks for sharing it with us again. I can't wait to see what creative solution you come up with to deal with the tree damage.

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Eden, like me you have a relatively small agrden and it is always so great to see how others deal with limitaions of space.Your looks so lush and generous, with the curved path giving an element of surprise---and I love your fountain !
    Thanks for sharing these, I know I will refer back to them often.

Kathy in Napa

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Sue, I remember David jumping up and down, too.

Eden, your garden is such a delight and you are so creative with weaving everyday utensils into interesting combos. I especially remember a little plastic yellow ducky floating in a platter sized water feature. The birdhouses were also a show-stopper for me. Brad, too, is so creative.

Thanks so much for the update. Everything including the additions are fabu!

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Well, I finally got here and glad I finally made it! :-) Eden your gardens are lovely...you really picked the right moniker for yourself! :-) You have quite an eye for making a garden magical. I really admire that and the way you add art in the garden...wish I had a better eye for it. I hope some day I will get to see your charming & unique garden in person. BTW, I also love how you grouped all your pots together too...that really makes a statement. Thanks for sharing! Ei