Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2_gw

IUVI - Day I

wendy2
14 years ago

On Friday we started the day with a visit to the Fuller Rose Garden. I didn't have my camera out there since it was raining. After our picnic lunch at a seaside park, we visited a lovely private garden. The rain let up by then.

We entered a wooded area beyond this arch.

{{gwi:168594}}

{{gwi:168595}}

The view from the property was stunning.

{{gwi:168596}}

A pretty pond

{{gwi:168597}}

The front of the house faces the ocean

{{gwi:168598}}

I know there are some great photos out there - many of you took a lot more pictures than I did! Keep 'em coming...

Comments (23)

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Wendy, I love these pics. The first two are great. I wish I had built an arch like that when we first moved here. That IS the ocean in the third pic, isn't it? The pond is so cute.It appears the water is bubbling up in the middle?
    Thank you for starting this thread.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

The house and ocean view certainly steal the show at that place I think!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I hope there will be many photos added to this particular thread. So many details at this home and garden...including history, preservation, vegetable gardening, thoughtful planning, swallows and squirrels, sheds, views, a few clematis, rocks and glass as decoration, DOGS and a most gracious hostess! In looking back, I think this was my favourite spot. Thanks Wendy!!! Oh! And the raspberries were delicious!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Thanks for getting things going here Wendy, I'll post some of my pics when I get home tomorrow.!Had agreat time at IUVI-2 Sue and Monique/Les's gardens were fabu!

Kathy - in Mass again !

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Whoops, sorry Wendy, I should have put the gallery here instead of on the main thread. About to fix that...LOL

Deanne

Here is a link that might be useful: IU6 - Day 1

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

A Girl and Her Umbrella
    {{gwi:168599}}From iu6

We liked this better than the heat wave last year.. {{gwi:168601}}From iu6

the Conserva-tree {{gwi:168602}}From iu6

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Super shot of the Conserva-tree!

Did anyone get photos of the fabu-fabu Japanese garden there?

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Great shot of "A girl and her umbrella" Saucy looks like a 'girl'. :-)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

The only shot of the fabu Japanese garden was the fish- It was dark in there 'bug, my camera kept wanting to flash ! I wish I'd taken a pic of the entrance to the JG..
    {{gwi:168603}}From iu6

The front of the Conserva-tree was planted in Morning Glory.. {{gwi:168604}}From iu6

This was a lovely Dahlia bed, but alas the path to the right was a foot deep in water !

{{gwi:168605}}From iu6

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Kathy, my camera does that too. I keep deleting the flashed ones, and turning the flash off. :-(

My Heavenly Blue Morning Glorys have opened their first bloom. We see them when we look out the disabled sliding door.I have them 'trellised' there.

Beautiful pic of the Dahlias. Too bad there was such deep water in the path! Rather poor planning, it seems?

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Welcome to The Compound !
    {{gwi:168606}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
    {{gwi:168607}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

I don't have one single pic of us stuffing our faces with lobster !

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Great pics! Pretty entry, and I love the veggie beds.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Our hostess Cynthis Hosmer was just charming, and took the time to walk us about, explaining to us the family history behind her wonderful home and gardens. We were gratified to learn that she takes the stewardship of the land she lives on very seriously and has put it in trust for future generations to ensure that it remains the pristeen setting it is.

What a setting ! {{gwi:168608}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
    {{gwi:168609}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Happy Idylls --yay it stopped raining ! {{gwi:168611}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Saucy ponders the espallier-perhaps there is one in Terrapin Stations future ?
    {{gwi:168614}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

The Idylls and our hostess {{gwi:147457}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Les and Monique , with dog in residence .. {{gwi:168617}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

One of many wonderful natural garden ornaments , which I hope to copy shamelessly {{gwi:168618}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

• wendy2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathy, you got some great shots! I loved all the stone and driftwood used in Cynthia's H's garden.

Marian, it had been pouring rain for almost 12 hours when we were at Fuller, we probably got 3" of rain Thursday night. There was flooding in a lot of places. I would have liked to walk down that path though!

What fun seeing the pictures and re-living the trip again!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    14 years ago

Th Hosmer property was just incredible! I wouldn't have cared if there was a garden there or not.

Sue

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

What great photographers Wendy & Kathy...thanks for sharing them with all of us! I love that tree arbor and pond too Marian and agree Saucy does look like a girl caught up in the wonder of it all! :-)

I can't *believe* all those roses. Did any one spot a rose they have to get?

That dahlia bed is so beautiful & beautifully maintained. My neighbor was lazy last fall and didn't dig up his dahlias. Imagine all of our surprise when they showed up this year bigger and more beautiful than last?! Made me decide to plant some in a protected spot here and see if they make it to next spring too! :-) I know there not supposed to be hardy here and I have no explanation as to why his made it...they were in a somewhat protected spot, but we had a nasty winter....

I agree Kathy that garden ornament idea is worth stealing...LOL! In fact, why I just happen to have a tree stump that could use a little ornamentation! :-)

What fun to be there even if only vicariously...Thanks guys!

Ei

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I love all those pics.....the first 2 (espacially the scene throught the trees), and all the Idylls pics. And the last one is the type of ornaments I prefer in my beds....natural ones. ;-)

• deanneart
    14 years ago

More wonderful pictures Kathy! Thanks for taking the time to post these.

Deanne

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I thought I'd add a couple photos of a great front yard we saw during a mini-tour of York beach area on the way to the Compound the first nite -- I really wanted to get out and go check out their back yard! Talk about a perfectly matched paint job w/ plants...

{{gwi:168619}}

{{gwi:168620}}

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

O man Cindy I forgot about that house, wish my camera had been at the ready to ! I meant to ask Chelone if she had noticed this garden.I was small but perfect !

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

This was the marvelous Japanese woods at Fuller Rose Gardens -- Im sure someone has much better photos, but this is a start - it was incredibly eery and beautiful.

{{gwi:168621}}

{{gwi:168622}}

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Oh Thank you so much! I just loved that place! It wasn't so large either... Perhaps seeing it in the rain even enhanced it.

• wendy2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cindy, that front yard was pretty. They were so funny, I am driving along, anticipating the sharp turn ahead which reveals a pretty ocean view when I am commanded "Oh look at that - stop the car!" We sat there in the middle of the street for about 5 minutes and oohhhed and awwed. Chelone, this garden was on the nubble, as you head down into Short Sands.