Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

It's Lily Time

deanneart
15 years ago

The gardens here are just exploding with color lately with so many daylilies and Orientals opening. The air is redolent with the perfume from the Orientals. I just love this time of the year!

{{gwi:168657}}

{{gwi:168659}}

{{gwi:168661}}

{{gwi:168663}}

{{gwi:168665}}

{{gwi:168667}}

{{gwi:168668}}

{{gwi:168669}}

Comments (22)

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fabu-fabu and 'Open Days' worthy for sure ! Love the combo with the Platycodon and the first shot really says it all about how awesome it would be to experience your garden. You just can never have too many liles can you ?

Thanks for posting these !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

A+! Fab-Fab! What's to add?

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Deanne, your garden is just gorgeous right now! I don't think I've ever been up for the late summer show!!!

Great photos of a great garden, definately Open Days worthy :)

Saucy

• Monique z6a CT
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I can imagine how wonderful the lily scent must be right now. Which lily and daylily are next to the Rose of Sharon? I love the deep colors of both.

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Bravo indead! These are incredible. I'm dreaming of the scent as I sit on your patio. Ahh... Life is good. ;)

Jerri

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Deanne, tell the truth, are you not just so happy with yourself right about now!!? LOL You really should be, because that garden of yours, is just turning out swell. What an eye-popping display in that first photo. I can just imagine sitting at the table under the umbrella with all that fragrance surrounding it. And here I was thinking you were focusing on your containers...hardly, your whole garden is a delight. The combo in photo 4 is such a nice one. I think those lilies with the blue are meant for each other. And some of the color combos have a little twist to them that is very interesting. I have a hard time actually choosing plants that will be next to each other and blooming at the same time to have the tones that I am looking for, so I am wondering if this is coming out exactly the way you planned it or if there was some element of serendipity? You have worked very hard and nurtured each plant, I hope you are enjoying every minute of it. I would be tempted to drag a mattress out there at night...lol.

Thanks for sharing your photos of your garden. Now if you could only bottle the fragrance! :-)

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Didn't you say you had lily beetle problems!? Not a trace of damage on these. It all looks so juicy, verdant...it looks like you painted it rather than grew it, Deanne, it's that perfect...The winds may have been trouble this summer, but what the record rain has wrought...wow!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

I was wondering about lily beetles too.... Actually, I've noticed this year that they aren't as bad as usual. I grow very few lilies because of them. This year I noticed there's a lot of ladybugs around and fewer lily beetles and have been wondering if the ladybugs have started to eat the lily beetle larvae. I actually have lilies appearing in places where I don't remember seeing them before! I must have planted them in previous years but they never got to the point of blooming before! I love the lily scent so I can image how great your garden smells at the moment Deanne. I'm very jealous....:- )

• deanneart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate your kind comments. I wish I had a transporter so I could have everyone over for an evening of smelling the flowers lol.

Kathy I agree, you really canÂt have too many lilies. Although some think it smells a bit like a funeral parlor around here right now. LOL

Bug, youÂre a poet.

Saucy, itÂs really worth a drive up to see this right now if you have the time.

Monique, I wish I knew the names of those lilies and daylilies. Unfortunately the Oriental Lilies came in a bag from Home Depot about fifteen years ago and it was just labeled "Oriental Lilies" and the daylily is also something I planted about fifteen years ago before I worried about Âpesky plant names. You are welcome to a couple fans of that daylily though as itÂs a beautiful burgundy color and even deeper in person than it shows in the photo.

Jerri, that creamy yellow lily in photo #4 and #7 is the ÂTarragonna that we were waiting to open while you were here. Remember the buds looked like cucumbers? LOL

PM I have to confess that IÂm over the moon with the gardens at the moment. Of course there are problem areas like the Stargazer liliy in the last photo. I donÂt like that color one little bit where it is but that plant almost died ten years ago and has come back so beautifully I hate to pull it. So some years I just cut it for a flower arrangement and some years I just figure, "Oh well, it wonÂt be blooming for long." The truth of the matter is that many of the color and plant combinations are planned but an equal number of the combinations are just serendipitous. ~~ LOL if I dragged a mattress out to sleep on the patio IÂd be sucked dry by the mosquitoes by morning. They are horrific right now after all the rain.

Denise, thanks for a new gardening term, "juicy" I love it! ~~ Yes we do have a pretty serious lily beetle problem and if you look closely at the photos you can see the damage. I donÂt often use any pesticide on them and in fact have only sprayed once this year early on when they were about a foot tall. Lately I just inspect the plants every day and squish any bugs I find.

Woody, Yes I completely agree with you that the lily beetles havenÂt been as bad this year than in previous years. I donÂt have any more or any less ladybugs around so that isnÂt what has affected the lily beetle populations around here. You might be seeing stems of lilies that are leftovers from when you had them before the beetle problem. IÂve had some stems come back from oblivion before too. Then again, the chipmunks have moved some around on me as well.

So here are a couple more pics from today

You can see the Beacon Rosa fuchsias are getting into their first major bloom. The fuchsias are well worth the wait. TheyÂd have bloomed sooner but I keep pinching them until they set buds regardless of the pinching. They actually start setting buds down the stems as well as on the ends. Makes for a very full plant.
    {{gwi:168670}}

{{gwi:168671}}

IÂve had this plant in my garden for almost twenty years now. It almost was a casualty to the voles one winter about six years ago but it finally came back and is a six foot stem again with twenty buds on it.
    {{gwi:168672}}

And the ÂBergamo lilies in the driveway garden are stupendous this year. I donÂt know if you remember they had that weird condition last year with the flat stems and a ton of tiny buds? Anyway, every stem that was flattened like that became a multiple stem this year so there are about two dozen stems or more in this clump and the tallest of them is over six feet tall. I canÂt even guess the amount of flowers in this grouping.
    {{gwi:168674}}

{{gwi:168676}}

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Wow, the Tarragonna is to die for! I'm so glad you pointed them out!

Jerri

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Since I spent Friday night at Deanne's I can say first hand that yes, they do smell heavenly and they are even better in person...hehehe.

Sue

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Deanne, you have a wonderful collection of lilies. I can smell the fragrance from here because I have 2 on my desk. LOL I love the combo in picture #4. What's the daylily?
    I think I recognize 'Catherine Woodbury' in #5. I have some unnamed lilies from years ago. I think your unnamed daylily looks like one I got from Rick's parents garden. From online search it looks like it could be 'Cherry Cheeks'

Thanks for the lovely tour.

Michelle

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

I am officially Lily enabled :-)

Thanks so much for the divine tour!

Martie

• anitamo
    15 years ago

Every time you post pictures, I see more that I haven't seen before. Lovely, lovely and lovely. I will be ordering more bulbs this fall, your pictures have made me fall in love with them even more so. Thanks for sharing.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Deanne, this is the first chance I've had to go through all of these threads and this one just blew me away. What beautiful shots of your gardens and all of that color is just gorgeous. All I can say is WOW! You never cease to amaze me!

Eden

• deanneart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much all!

Michelle, that daylily in photo #4 is called 'Purely'. It's supposed to be a rebloomer but has never done so for me except for the first year I had it. It is a perfect companion plant for that 'Tarragona' lily though.

Eden, thanks so much glad you were able to find the time to look through this. Sadly they are all gone now. Summer must be winding down.

Anita, I'm of the opinion that one just can't have too many lilies.

Thanks again all
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Thinkin' we need to make a mental note to bump this thread up about the middle of January.

Kathy in Napa

• blondiesc
    13 years ago

I'm mostly a lurker on this forum. I come here regularly to drool over the gorgeous photos that you all post. This post is a couple of years old but it's one of my favorites and I think it is very "bump up" worthy. Thank you all for the inspiration you provide.

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Thanks for the second look, blondiesc.

Wow!

Hmm...I live close enough...I think I need to make it a point to make my way up to Deanne's for this summer's show.

Saucy

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I agree - what a fantastic display!

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

This is always worth a "bump" - I bet Deanne will find it interesting to see how her garden has changed to this year!
    I know it will be even more enthralling.

-cindy

• deanneart
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, what fun to see this thread again. Unfortunately the lilies had some major vole damage last winter and there won't be anywhere this kind of display this summer. Drasty rodents! But the good news is that the Taragonna lilies still have ten stems that are looking good and most of the daylilies are undamaged.

Thanks for bumping this up blondiesc!

Deanne

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!