Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll # 485 Still Planting !

dodgerdudette
13 years ago

The plant shopping doesn't seem to be slowing down much in the Idyll world..grab your shovels and carry on...

Comments (101)

• deanneart
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

{{gwi:168827}}

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

{{gwi:168828}}

We didn't get a drop of the 1" of rain that was in the forecast! So now we have to keep hand-watering the stuff we planted yesterday :-(

Kathy - that would be an all-round shock re your co-worker- but particularly for the concerned people who found him! Did he have family?

Deanne - I think The Swan will be pretty impressive someday. The sterile florets are certainly huge - so much so that they don't really fit on the flower panicle! They sort of flutter there, half folded up because there isn't room for them to open flat! But I think it will make for a pretty impressive white-blooming late summer shrub. It'll be interesting to see how late into the summer it blooms. White Moth, which has relatively large flowers, blooms into early October. I hope this one does too.

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Afternoon all,

Well after almost passing out after working outside for five hours I've called it quits. Yes indeed, it's terribly hot out there; over 91 with what seems like 91% humidity.... Dreadful. It was nice having a half day's respite from the attention to watering but Im back dragging hoses around again. I really need to give the containers in the back a feeding but am afraid to do it in this heat as it can damage the plants. I lost a couple of callibrachoa in the front containers and I think that was the problem. It got too hot after a liquid feed and damaged the roots. The other plants in those containers are fine so I'm suspicious that the callibrachoa are a bit more finicky about the heat. I've had trouble with them in the past and can't seem to keep them in any kind of condition past the end of July anyway. But fool that am, I keep buying them anyway. They really do provide such a great splash of color when grown well. Hope springs eternal, LOL

So Cindy, are those your front steps???? You are holding out on us girl! How very, very pretty!

Ok time to move the sprinklers, The weather people are predicting a 40% chance of T storms later on this afternoon and I'm crossing my fingers.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

"Only" 84F here...but way too hot for work in the sun. I finished up the mowing that was interrupted last night, deadheaded roses, weeded out the annual poppies and a few other things. Bought some more Gaillardia "Oranges and Lemons" for added color... Oh yeah, and the dog food which was my actual destination! Watering will have to wait for after dinner when direct sun isn't an issue.

Major weeding needs to be done in the flats and vegetable garden, but I have no idea when the stars will align to make that possible. It's either too wet, too hot or too buggy...

And so, on to indoor work.

Birthday photos are so much fun! I'm enjoying them today!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago
  • Marian_2
    13 years ago

Deanne, it is interesting reading about all your birds. They are very scarce here this year. The main ones I see, besides our resident crows, is a redbird....a male, a mourning dove now and then, pileated woodpeckers ( hear more than see), a few indigo buntings,hummingbirds,and a few blue jays. Very very few song birds of any kind, except that redbird. It is a bumper year for fruits and berries of all kinds, so I do not know why they are absent. Maybe it is a shortage of bugs ?

After our 3 weeks with no rain, we are now well blessed. Had 4 inches in about as many days, then more yesterday and today. I haven't checked the gauges, but know it was plenty!

My latest plant buying includes, a good-sized blue Butterfly bush ($10), a red Penta, a yellow Lantana, a red Mandevilla, and an Evolvula. All in good sized pots, from Wal Mart. Funny thing about the Evovula. When I bought the one that I have had so long that it is about 3' by 3',it was not even labeled, and I hunted and hunted before I discovered what I had. Now Wal Mart has pot after pot of them, and they are labeled! Did I start a trend ??? Maybe a lot of GW readers wanted one. :-)

Julie, what a blessing that your friend had the presence of mind to get all the family out of the house. And how very scary that so little time elapsed once he did.We have had varmints in our attic in the past. I suspect it would be wise to have someone check out the wiring up there.

I am almost afraid to report that I am doing much better lately. I had a bone density test about 3 weeks ago, and was diagnosed with senile osteoporosis, which means I am over 70...LOL. I was told to increase my Vitamin D to 1500IU. ( I was 'supposed' to be taking D but was very lax at doing so.) So.....I have increased it, and I am also taking the other meds as I am supposed to....the calcium, potassium, and Prevacid for the acid reflux that was so terrible. And of course my daily BP pill. I am feeling much stronger, and much better over all.
    Yesterday and the day before I spent a lot of time rearranging the vestibule....Removing things, and rearranging what was left. I am preparing a place for a propane wall heater to be installed. Tim and I are collaberating on the process. I will purchase the equiptment, and he will install it. We have come to the conclusion that I do not need to have to carry in so much firewood this winter. I will keep the wood stove. But not have to depend on it all night long, every night. We plan on putting a large heater in the vestibule, and a small one in Nolon's bathroom, and the utility room. I hate gas, but most of our neighbors have it. And it will certainly be easier than the wood carrying! I would prefer natural gas, but it is not available out here. I am hoping it will not damage my house plants. Any opinions?

Marian

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELLE!!!!

Marian, glad you are feeling better. Vitamin D does seem to be so important and all the doctors are encouraging it. Guess in the old days before sunscreen we all got enough. Hope the heaters keep you toasty this winter. Much easier than hauling in wood.

Julie, wow. That is a scary story. My DH has wires all over the attic (extension cords, etc. for stuff he rigged in his less-clear thinking days. Time to change that for sure!

Deanne and 'bug, you are stronger women than I. I last about five or ten minutes in the heat before heading back inside for a "break" that lasts way longer than the weeding time. Maybe tomorrow I will accomplish more.

Kathy, what a shock it must have been for your coworkers-and everyone else there. I have started glancing through the obits in the paper (ha-a sure sign of old age) and always think that it seems early when people die at 80 these days. I guess it is all in one's perspective...the closer I get...

Cindy, the steps do look marvelous!

DH is due home from his meeting shortly, so time to cool it off in here (I live in sweaters year round it seems).

'night all.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I come home for lunch today and closed up the house, watered , etc and wouldnt you know it, the heat was a no show ! No complaints, but there will be serous deadheading this weekend, as even 2 days of heat after none for weeks caused the un-acclimated flowering plants to shrivel a bit. If I can keep myself from venturing out to the garden center this weekend Ill only have three plants to install. What are the odds ?

Marian, Im glad to hear you are feeling so much better-and very prudent of you to deputize Tim to help you get a second heating source too. I have natural gas, but my BILs had propane when they lived out on the coast and there were no issues at all with their house plants.

Anyone have any opinions on Caryopteris Longwood Blue that would explain why mine looks so horrible ? Its blooming away but the foliage is awful-yellow, brown, you name it. Its by far the worst looking of any of my Caryopteris , and I am that close to SPing.

Ill let Cindy break the news to you Deanne re: where she took that photo--!

Ok, all for tonight, Im whipping up some tortellini with mushrooms and pesto, and have to go mind the stove

Waves !

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I had to pop in to say thanks to everyone for the fabulous birthday eye candy! I'm pooped - talk to you tomorrow.

Michelle

PS I agree with Deanne, Cindy, you've been holding out on us. I love your steps.

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Last night the sky darkened and it finally rained. I don't think I remember a time when it hadn't rained this long while I've lived in New England. I hope we get a little rain with each hot and humid day. Phew. A sigh of relief.

I let my front yard just go. I figure if it's brown and dry and hideously ugly, it will get me moving in the direction of ripping out the lawn and installing a garden. It's probably just a 12 foot front strip. Basically a hell strip, large scale :)

I have to get the paths in the GG down first. The heat has put a work stop on that job.

I hope you had a good day Michelle.

I'm not sure about your C. Longwood Blue Kathy as mine looks great despite the lack of water and mega heat.

Marian, I am glad to hear you're doing better. I had a vitamin D deficiency, too. I suspect it's the area I live in coupled with the long winters. Just another reason to move back to California.

Sarah has a sore throat and a fever. She says it doesn't feel like strep throat, but now that we're on day 3 and the fever seems worse than ever, I think it's time for a throat culture. Luckily her doc has a Saturday "urgent care" clinic and the strep test is so easy now...you go in and get swabbed by a technician and then you go home. They give you a special number to call into a phone system and find out if you're positive. Amazing. It used to take days.

Okay...time to go do some hose repairs so I'll be ready for this afternoon's watering duties :) We're headed to the mid nineties!

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Going to be a deadheading-trimming-pruning derby here today, my morning coffee WALAT revealed the arrival of that ragged time in the garden that comes in mid-summer.

Saucy did you see the photos of Amy Stewarts front garden that Saxon Holt put up on Garden Rant ? The climate is awful where she lives (talk about lack of vitamin D) but what a nice colorful and lawn free front garden.

Cindy , I was so bummed that my pic of those geraniums didnt come out-it had a big white sun-glare blob right in the middle of it. I cant believe I only took one photo too. Guess Im going to have to go back, lol.

Time for a coffee refilllater !

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

Just as I thought...today is one of my not so good ones. I am surprised since it is not a stormy day. Must be the high humidity...:-(
    Anyhoo...here are some pics:

{{gwi:168830}}

{{gwi:168831}}

Excuse the weeds around this pot. I haven't done any mowing or weedeating for awhile.

And the shelves that I moved out of the vestibule:

{{gwi:168832}}

They are now adding to the deck decor. :-)

Marian

• denisez10
    13 years ago

Happy birthday, Michelle! Thought you'd appreciate this clever leadwort climbing through the jade plant. Your garden party looked liked loads of fun.

{{gwi:168833}}

Hoping Sarah doesn't have strep! How unfair to get sick in July.

Julie, I read the fire account to Marty, who listened most attentively. What a head's up guy to get his family out on time when all the other gadget backups failed.

I know where that porch with those incredible geraniums was, and I even brought one home! Great photo, Cindy. Hope they stop lobbing tennis balls at you next week. It has been a busy summer!

Glad to report that we're now sharing hot temps with the rest of the country. I had been planting through the overcast June and even into early July. The dwarf V. bonariensis, I think called 'Little One,' are the first casualties. Cut back to the nubbins to see if they rebound in fall.

Kathy, so sorry to hear about your company's VP. Egads, when I think of those who've passed on in just that way, including the writer Richard Brautigan from up your way.

My mom's test came back negative for lyme, which I guess is fairly common, and the rash has faded. Heart and blood tests are still abnormal, but docs have lost her medical records in the switch from written records to computer, so can't compare old tests to new, etc, etc. Patients really have to be on the ball these days with such common snafus. She's feeling great and is very savvy so takes it all with a grain of salt. Tomatoes we planted at her place are cropping in this heat, and she's so excited.

Marian, that's a lot of plant shuffling! Glad you're feeling well enough to accomplish it.

Weekend waves to all.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Here's what they say for here within the hour:
    Brief wind gusts to 90 km/h, large hail of 2 centimetres and torrential downpours of 50 mm within an hour are the main threats.

Think I'd better go move plants into the garage...
    Later!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Okay -- Confession time, I didnt mean to let folks think those are my stairs - those are what I would love to have my front stairs look like! The shot is from Filoli Gardens - they had the best grouping of geraniums and made me want to try them all again. They also made me think of you, Michelle, because you do so well with them. Here in my area, at least my house, all they do is sulk, no matter which ones I try - I suspect they need a lot of coddling and fertilizing to keep 'em going here. In PA when I lived there, it was not a problem...

So those are my imaginary steps, folks -- aint they grand?

I had set my alarm to get up at 6:30 this a.m. to mow the grass - but low and behold there were fierce t-storms about 2 a.m. and the grass was soaked... no mow or trim today. It was about 98 degrees here I believe and felt over 100 -- I went to a couple stores to look for photo albums for the trip photos and found that that's where everyone was today - in the stores - they were mobbed every where you went....

Things are so toasted here it's depressing.

Another wowser, Denise - I love that shot and your jade tree amongst the plumbago -- you have such wonderful combos, whether accidental or planned - and I am certain more are planned than not. I need to do some serious ripping and editing in my small areas; I've let some areas go "wildish" w/ the monarda and phlox and it's just too raggedy.

Well, stock club tomorrow and more heat and heat here -- I've got to get my hose muscles in shape because I think they are going to be getting a big workout for the next weeks...

--Cindy

13 years ago

{{gwi:168834}}
    That's my collection of clematis for the swag. Now if it would just cool down enough to be able to get them in the ground! I hope I can keep them alive in the pots until conditions are suitable for planting...

• Lara Noles
    13 years ago

I started reading this Idyll last night and just finished. What an interesting read it's been! So much going on with all of you at the height of summertime!

Denise, I'm so glad your mom's doing ok. We don't have a problem with ticks here but what an added worry. Ughhh!

Julie, also so glad to hear your friend and her family made it to safety before it was too late. That's really some story.

Marian, good to hear you're having some better days even though there may be a few mixed in that are not as great.

I love the photo of GB and Woody on their outing too! OH and Woody, I have that h. white swan. I got it last year as a baby from Bluestone. Mine's only about 12" in diam and height this season but has 5 fairly large blooms. I think this one will be a beauty when it grows up, just like a swan.

Cyn, I love my animals but I don't know if I could put up with that kind of damage in my garden. Actually, I know I couldn't. I'd have to find some sort of solution to that for sure! Maybe a contained area that's just for them to run apart from the gardens?

Kathy, I'm intrigued by your hell strip. We have one too but ours is just grass. It wouldn't be a good place for a garden here. That's where our water hookup is, so if there happened to be maintenance it would be dug in and also when people park on the street that's where the passenger steps to get out of the car. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.

I have a topic for discussion....something I've been pondering. We went on a couple of garden tours this last week and it got me to thinking about how much of an impact the art in a garden has and also I was thinking about it in relation to recent IU pics here and the pics of the garden Michelle shared on her thread. Wondering what all of your thoughts are on the subject of garden art? Goes without saying that the garden must have a good design and interesting plants and combos to begin with but do you think it's the accessories and little details that put it over the top?

We had all three of the grandbabies yesterday. Bella always spend Friday night, she and I always do movie night with snacks (her favorite part) and then I picked up Kate and Wally Sat. morning and took them home around 9pm. I figured Jen and Randy could use a break right about now so it gave them a chance to relax and go out to dinner. Such a fun day Brad and I had with them. They kept us busy though and I think the little ones even wore Bella out. Here's a few pictures from our day together.

Bathing Beauty Kate

{{gwi:168835}}

Kate and Bella

{{gwi:168836}}

I love this one

{{gwi:168837}}

The men just watching those crazy girls

{{gwi:168838}}

Getting ready for a bike ride with Papa

{{gwi:168839}}

I'm planning on spending as much time out in the garden as possible today. Summer lover that I am, I'm so enjoying this summer with all the warm weather, though I could do with less humidity at times, but I'm not complaining. It'll be over too soon! Hope you all are able to enjoy your gardens today too.

Eden

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Wow Woody , thats an impressive amount of Clematis. I wish you the best of luck with them all and I will anxiously await to see the swag in bloom.

Belated Birthday wishes Michelle. Your garden party tables were very pretty and I enjoyed touring the garden with you.

The sky here darkened this morning and it is raining. Yes! Even if I did water all day yesterday.
    I've been cleaning up the daylily foliage and this will get them putting out new growth and looking good again.
    I have been trying to use up the pot ghetto and get some containers going to give some extra color. I wish I could get them going earlier but I'm usually to busy with other things. I get lots of volunteer impatients and they just get going about now and make good fillers.

Deanne I am glad to hear I am not the only one who has trouble with calibrochia. Just when they are looking good they just die out. What a shame because I really like them too.

Cindy I will try to find a pic of Cherry Cheeks. I need to find out why my picture trail uploader isn't working though.

Cyn, did you ever find the missing shrub?

Marian, I think you are wise to be putting in an alternative heat source. Your plants are looking great. New ones are always fun aren't they.

Kathy, have you heard what caused your co-workers death? Many times it is sleep apenea.
    It's time for a new picture of Mr Toddler. Did the Idyllers get to meet him?

It's still raining but I better go find something to do.

Hey to all. Norma

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Eden, I love seeing the grandkids. Kate is really growing up. I bet she mimics Bella quite a bit. The pic of Brad and Wally is special too. Enjoy them now they grow up way to fast.

I do think garden art has a big impact on gardens. It's one of the things I always notice, and it really adds to the style of the garden.

Norma

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Well, I enjoy garden art of several kinds: whimsy/folk art, sculpture that is not too ornate, and even benches and furniture, possibly painted brightly. I think having garden art as a focal point is almost necessary, but especially nice when the gardens are in perfect order. (which doesn't happen here!) I do prefer limiting the number of pieces though...to just a few REALLY EXPENSIVE ONES. (Joking)

My problem is that DH does not want ANY garden art as he finds it too "gimmicky". This really upsets me...and I had to give up some iron work fish and hearts that I really enjoyed. Wouldn't you know, he then came home one day with an iron bird made of old vehicle parts! I'm not particularly fond of it either. I like more refined pieces.... There is a woman nearby who makes beautiful iron insect pieces. I would love some of her grasshoppers, dragonflies and butterflies floating above ornamental grasses. No way says DH... And so my supporting structures for clematis and my small bird bath are pretty much my "garden art". Also I guess my containers could be considered decoration, but not art, at least so far.

Do you remember Jim Wilkens' hosta gardens? There was lots of lovely art work there and it really enhanced the gardens.

Yesterday I emptied an old non flowering bougainvillia from a hanging container and replanted the whole thing. That was my project for the day and I really enjoyed putting it together. It is a bit late in the season for this kind of thing, but maybe it will take off anyway.

Fortunately we got absolutely no thunderstorms or hail last evening. These weathermen are crying "WOLF!" a bit too often. For today they say: "Increasing cloudiness. 60 percent chance of showers this afternoon with risk of a thunderstorm."

I am in after only an hour or so of weeding, but in full sun. I'm beat!
    Later,
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning Idylls !
    Lots accomplished yesterday , most notably the star jasmine got her yearly post-bloom haircut, always a messy job as lots of sticky latex-ish stuff drips as you work.

Must be the cool June we had, my Zinnias are taking forever to develop any sort of size this year, I guess Ill have to try giving them a little shot of fertilizer and see if that helps. MaxSea to the rescue !

Marian, nice re-use of the vestibule shelf unitdoes the Buddliea live permanently in that pot ?

Eden, I really enjoy art in the garden, as long as its done wellKeeyla Meadows garden that we visited for IU is in fact pretty over the top, but its not just a garden, its her gallery and the plants really become part of the art in this case.So fun, and dymanic! Les and Moniqes garden is another example of art objects used cleverly to compliment the plants It seems as though more and more public gardens are featuring art installations, both the Ruth Bancroft Garden and Mendo Coast Botanical had them, and there was art at Maine Coast last year too. Marcia Donahues garden is on the GC open days next Saturday, and Im really looking forward to seeing that , Ive seen her installations around here and there but have never visited her garden.

Woody, wow, you are not messing around with this Clematis thing are you ?? That swag is going to be spectacular !

Norma, lol, Mr Toddler and family are tentatively coming over next Sunday for a BBQ , so Ill probably be able to come up with a couple of photos. No word yet on the co-worker .

Ok, time to head outside for more deadheading ..

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some lilies from this morning..

no tag for this one.. {{gwi:168841}}From Garden Summer 2010
    {{gwi:168843}}From Garden Summer 2010

Black Beauty, just starting to bloom {{gwi:168845}}From Garden Summer 2010

A new one for me, Gold Crown {{gwi:168848}}From Garden Summer 2010

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Great lily shots, Kathy - they're looking yummy. Might the first one be Tom Pouce? Altho there are so many kinds that's probably just a silly guess. I love Black Beauty - mine are a bit bent over (didnt stake high enough again). I dont know what people do about these tall, tall ones that seem to be need 8 or 9 foot stakeS!

Laura - interesting and I think a delicate subject re garden art -- definitely a personal one. I've seen so many that are done so well and it inspires me, then I worry I'm just junking mine up. I personally have a harder time mixing different garden art than I do interior furniture and decorations. Inside, eclectic seems fine; but outside it's harder... and it's hard to know (& force oneself) to know when to STOP, LOL... especially in smaller gardens. I have a personal tendency to want to keep classic with classic; whimsy with whimsy; modern with modern, if you know what I mean - it's likely a lack of vision on my part...

Boy, 'bug, it's hearing things like that re your DH having such strong opinions about garden art of all things that makes me happy to be single, LOL -- I cant imagine being contentious about it w/ a significant other - I've been single too long obviously, LOL....

Stinking hot -- I know it's summer but I just dont envision summer being constantly close to 100 degrees in the Mid-Atlantic states - I could go to Arizona or Florida if I wanted that.... whine, whine... it makes it a big chore to garden in heat and humidity -- all one can do is worry about maintenance and water, water, water....

Stay cool all.
    -Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy that name doesnt sound familiar I bet I have a tag around here somewhere. I also mis-named the last pic, it was sold to me as Copper Crown, however I think it was mislabeled. Im going to send a photo to the vendor. I made a horribly long list of lilies this weekend-such no-brainers for me , 90% of them do great , and the 10% usually just rot in our cold wet soils over the winter. I have never staked my Black Beauty..they seem to have pretty sturdy trunks ! Those Lilies I stake are stretchers that are leaning towards a better exposure than I can provide. Really need to remove the Liquidambar .

Chelone, come out and play ! We miss you.

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I had a great 50th birthday. Rick made me dinner the night before along with a bottle of wine. The day of, he made me breakfast in bed. He also had an orchid waiting when I got home from work. Deanne, I may need advice as to how to keep that thing alive. It sure is pretty though. We had dinner on the patio of a restaurant overlooking the lake. At work there were black balloons and everyone was dressed in black as well. I had lots of phone calls, FB messages and of course the lovely pictures here. It made the day much more bearable ;o)

Yesterday hit 100 degrees. We were to go to the city for Ricks class reunion, so we went early and did some shopping. I knew it would be just too hot to garden. We went to a statuary place that Ive been wanting to check out. (You know garden art LOL) Im actually looking for a fountain. They only make one style and I didnt care for it and thought it was very expensive.

I was just notified by my 7 year old computer that I have no more room on the hard drive. It wont allow me to upload any pictures. Im not sure how I will remedy this. I know I could delete lots of pictures, but it is easy access to have them on the computer. I do have an external hard drive that I use as back up. Maybe Ill have to make use of that somehow. I hate technical things.

Eden, the girls are the perfect picture of summer and little Wally looks entertained by it all. What fun to have them so close to you to enjoy.

As for garden art. I have plenty of "stuff" in my garden. I dont know if I would call it art, but its fun and makes my garden unique. I prefer things other than the Walmart type of trinkets, but there are people who like to gift me with that type of stuff. I do like old antique type stuff in the right spot.

Kathy, your unknown lily reminds me of one I have called "Tom Pouce" Since Ive been working on this post for a bit and just now refreshed I see Cindy thought the same thing. I do have to say that my "Tom Pouce" gets absolutely huge flowers on it, bigger than what yours appear in the picture. How awful about your co-worker.

Cindy, the reason I grow the geraniums is because they are so easy here. Most of the ones I have are the fancy leaf ones and I dont even mind if they dont bloom much. I do fertilize all my pots once a week. They certainly love full sun.

Denise, what a great combo with the jade. I love when that kind of thing happens in the garden.

Saucy, I hope Sarah is feeling better no fun! Kenzie and my DD have both been sick. Kenzie told me a summer bug got her.

Marian, its good to hear that you are feeling well these days, I hope you can continue on that path.

Deanne, your containers never cease to amaze me. The one by the garage is stunning.

Cindy and Norma here is the daylily that I think could be "Cherry Cheeks"

{{gwi:168851}}

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Well the hope that Sarah would be better each morning when I wake has faded. I took her to the doctor as soon as 72 hours with a fever had passed (I did go in for a throat culture which came back negative) and he looked at her throat and ordered another strep test and said if it's not strep it might be mono. I am not happy about that. Sarah is my wimpy child. I always worry about her so. She just doesn't eat well despite having good choices and has always had respiratory problems. Seeing her like a ragdoll worries me sick.

So we have to wait a bit longer for test results and then new tests if it's not strep (to confirm mono). Jake is 16 and ripe for mono. Goodness.

I broke down and bought some more hose gear yesterday and am going to set up watering zones. It won't help with the watering chores at my neighbor's, but I've been hand watering at home, and a sprinkler set up would be most helpful.

I love all of your lilies! I wish the red lily beetle weren't here. I am not good at sprinkling the magic potion on the plant at the right time, so I've had to just let go of the idea :) I do love that clear yellow, though.

It's time for me to go water. I've been up every night adminstering watermelon snacks and doses of pain relievers. I'm a mess myself as sleep is something that I need to function. She's sleeping on the couch now with old HanaBarbara cartoons playing...brings back memories!

Saucy

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning my Idyll friends,

Well Im officially, completely, sick and tired of this hot and dry weather. Its so sad to see the perennials just blow by their bloom season at light speed. My lilies have never had such short bloom times. After this weekend of 90 degree plus, windy weather things are starting to look pretty tired. I might make another trip to The Farmers Daughter in RI and scoop up a bunch of their beautiful coleus to fill in the tired looking spots in the borders. Im thinking Im going to purge a bunch more daylilies after this season. They went by too fast and their foliage looks awful the rest of the season after they are done blooming. But the good news is that the containers are really filled in and looking so nice right now. Ive had to move a few things around because of the heat. A few of the abutilons arent one bit happy in the front. Just too hot for them this year so I pulled them back onto the patio to give them some heat relief.

Michelle, wow, it sounds like you had a marvelous birthday! Dinner then breakfast in bed! Fabu-fabu! You are so going to laugh, orchids do better with company! LOL They like bright, indirect light, humidity at 50%, water once every week to ten days and only fertilize when you see new growth, then once a month or so when they are setting spikes. So they like humidity but not wet feet. ~~ How dreadful that you hit 100 degrees! Thats awful. ~~ Where are you thinking of putting a fountain? Keep looking, the right one will be there. We found ours at a garden center but it was missing the pineapple top. It originally came with a statue that I didnt care for anyway and I found the topper on line. I bought it for half price so it was a good deal. ~~ Great daylily pic, thats such a pretty pink.

Kathy, wowza! Scrumptious lilies and highly beautiful photos of them. They used to be no brainers for me here as well but now between the rodents and the lily beetles they require some time and effort to keep. ~~ I cant believe you are talking about late blooming for your zinnias because of a cool June when we are all bemoaning the much earlier than normal blooming here.

Cindy, ditto what you said about the heat and about garden art! I absolutely LOVE art in the garden and Im constantly reining myself in because Im maxed out there as well. I love to see all styles but I tend toward the classic. Id never have thought that was my style per se but I do love beautiful cement pieces and urns and that has dictated what I can do with the rest of it. Id have to say Im eclectic with classical leanings. I particularly like setting up unexpected vignettes that are a surprise for people who are exploring the gardens and really looking at things, like the new print on the side of the shed with the Lisa leaves. Its a fun view that you dont see unless you take the time to walk around to the back of the shade bed. Eclectic is so much fun, mixing and matching and creating a harmonious whole. I think its the garden art that can define the gardener, where the personality of the designer can come out and shine. I like to see the art surprise, delight and meld into the surrounding plantings but Ive seen some gardens where the plantings were just framing for the art and that worked too. I really learned a lot from seeing Edens gardens years ago. Her use of found objects and placement of unexpected things is exceptional. She has surprises for the viewer around every corner, a delight for the person lucky enough to tour her gardens.

So Bug, jeesh, It seems to me that you are the gardener so you can dictate what art gets incorporated into your gardens. Nest-ce pas? I dont ever hear you say your DH even has a bit of interest in the gardens or spends any time working in them. ~~ BTW it is never too late to plant a container. Ive sometimes put some together in September that feature fall things like the beautiful kales and asters.

Norma, LOL I was also glad to hear Im not the only one who has trouble with callibrachoa. I can never figure out what Im doing wrong. Every other plant in a container is perfect and the callibrachoa just dies out. So strange. Sue made me green with envy this past weekend when I saw her containers with gorgeous, huge blooming specimens.

Eden, great pics of those cuties and I especially love the one with Brad. So special!

Woody, is that a euynomous on the front porch behind the hydrangea? Its beautiful there with that variegated foliage against the white trim on the house. Thats a lot of clems! Cant wait to see your swag in full bloom.

Denise, just love that plumbago intermingling with your jade plant. So very pretty and an unexpected combination. Glad to hear your mom is doing better.

Marian, love the shelves on the deck. Looks great there.

Saucy, Im so with you on the need for rain. We could use a whole week of cloudy, rainy weather. ~~~ So so sorry that Sarah is still sick, sounds like mono to me. What a bummer and dreadful for her in this hot weather. Hope they figure it out soon.

OK Ive got to get off this computer and get outside before it gets baking hot again. Ive got to get the dahlia garden staked and all the containers watered and that will take until noon.

Have a great day everybody
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Wow, you folks are so good about responding to everybody - this is going to be a real flyby and only what little I can retain at present (which is not much for a Monday a.m. sneak before the 9 a.m. bell)...

Michelle -- that Rick is a gem - you rightly deserved such treats for your birthday, but it's the oddity DH that responds so well -- good for him and you!

I must say that daylily is gorgoeous but does not look like what my Cherry Cheeks does (it's got no ribbing and is definitely orange undertones w/ red overtones - it's a pretty plain Jane daylily, but it gets huge numbers of buds on it and just blooms its heart out - so I am content with it even tho it really doesnt go w/ much in my garden). That one you've got is lovely and I'd enjoy that much more probably, LOL. (or it could be mine was mislabeled; I never really thought about it).

Kathy - I hit the lily catalogs before I came to California - I made a list but didn't order -- and am struggling now -- got some puppy expenses coming up and trying to rein myself in from more garden purchases - but it's still calling to me. I'm getting more shade and root competition drastically now and I think that's why more of the lilies are stretching and leaning... the Black Beauty does not have a very strong stem either -- obviously I've not sited it well.

I'm reaching the disgust stage (as usual) for the garden - it's roasted and toasted; edger plants have vanished; the weeds are thriving and some wild things are taking over. I struggled for 3 hours yesterday a.m. before the stock club meeting -- well, at least the grass/weeds got cut.

Cant wait to see what you do w/ your clem swags, Woody!

Saucy - Im sorry about Sarah - and hope she is on the mend quickly and that it's a simple diagnosis... they always worry us no matter what their age or condition! Like you, I too never could function with lack of sleep - yucko - it makes you feel terrible and crabby too, right? Hopefully, today will be better for you both.

Dare I say Happy Monday? Egad.

-cindy

13 years ago

Saucy - I hope Sarah starts recovering soon - that must be so worrisome! I had a bout with mono in my teenage years - the summer before starting university. It became a convenient medical excuse to request a private room in residence so I could get adequate sleep! Since they were out of private rooms, I got a double - with no room-mate! :-)

Michelle - it sounds like you had a great birthday!

Eden - you're doing a thriving business in cute grandkids! :-)

Marian - I am always amazed at your deck flowers - all that watering....! I turned responsibility for things in pots over to Randy - he's much more diligent about keeping them watered and fertilized that I was, so they are doing much better under his care than they did under mine!

On the weekend Randy dug a trench and laid/buried pipe from the rain barrel overflow pipe, across the path to the south gate, and into the south alley. Now the overflow runs along the bed on the south side of the path while the barrel drains through a soaker hose on the north side of the alley. I think we'll be adding rain barrels to other locations next year...

This morning we washed most of the arbour, relaid the bricks under the gate that got torn up when the New Dawn rose on the south side was removed, and planted 5 clematises before we ran out of steam. Hopefully we can get the other 10 that are waiting to be planted in the ground tomorrow since it is supposed to be cool in the morning at least. There are another 4 I want to get but I'm doubtful I'll find them at this point, so they might have to wait until next year. GB - the gardenimport ones we planted today (2 Black Prince) were VERY rootbound in the pots. I hope they make it. I'll bet the rest are the same way. I guess that's likely because it was fairly late in the season when I ordered them so they've been sitting in the pots a long time. We planted a Rouge Cardinal on the front right side of the south gate stucture so it'll be opposite the Jackmanii Superba which is on the left side. The two spring bloomers - 'Willy' and a 'Blue Boy' (seedling from GB) - were planted to hopefully spill down from the top of the arbour in spring with any of the C. montana that survives. They should coordinate well with the pinky-lilac spring colors in the area. The Black Princes are the first of the ones that will grow on the swag itself.

GB sent some interesting pictures from her weekend. First - her new hanging basket:
    {{gwi:168853}}

And then some pictures from a visit to a friend's garden. Is this the inspiration for the arbour in your veggie garden - or did your arbour inspire this one...?
    {{gwi:168855}}

I liked these daylilies. I've come to prefer these nice strong rusty reds for daylilies and have been adding some to the garden here.
    {{gwi:168857}}

The colors in this pot also grabbed me - and remided me of something that Deanne or Michelle or (?) might do! :-)
    {{gwi:168859}}

And of course, there is a cute kitty...
    {{gwi:168861}}

You said there were turkeys and interesting dogs too...? Where are the pictures of those?!

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I'm the bad one here about responding to each and every one...but I think of you ALL often! Honest!

Saucy, I've been thinking of you and your family health issues...but also of your many talents. Why today there was a radio show on hotel chains and their bee gardens! It seems they use their own honey in their kitchens. And yes, the price of honey has skyrocketed so they figure each hotel earns about $7000 each year on honey sales.

Eden, love your daily doings and your photos of the grandkids! I'm suffering from Grandchild withdrawal while they are away in the Yukon. Two more weeks to go!

DS is late coming here today...because he is visiting friends in nearby Mississauga. I'm pretty sure he'll be here in time for dinner. And so I had time to rush out and get points toward my discount at the local nursery. Silly me, I added to my small day lily collection after reading about Deanne eliminating many of hers. We'll see how I feel about them next year, but for now, they fill a color void.

The arbor that Woody posted was built after ours was. He's the fellow who attached the top horizontal pieces for me (while DH was in China) back in 2005. He's a true gardening addict and so we go to nurseries together and share plants. He likes to arrange flowers and plant up pots as well. His wife is the hard worker though, digging up deep tap roots and other impossible jobs. You'd never guess by looking at her skinny self! She also is good at taking cuttings, pruning roses and so forth. They have tons of pets as well. He has collections of pigeons that he buys and sells, exotic turkeys and hens too. He used to breed Borzois, but is down to only a few now. (He's a judge for hounds.) There is a "Fur and Feathers" sale every year in a nearby town and they usually end up with something new each time they go. The cat above is a Manx, which because it only has a short tail, tends to hop like a rabbit rather than move as regular cats do. It's a balance issue. I ran out of steam taking pictures and concentrated on looking at all the plants. I came home lusting after Echinacea "Fatal Attraction". It has wonderful rich color and almost black stems. :)

Back to work.

• chelone
    13 years ago

"Thises and thats" take a long time to clean up. I had gotten one coat of pickling on the stairwell to the Salon last year and, suitably stale on the whole venture gave myself a break from it. I put the second coat of pickling on the stairwell today and then followed it up with two coats of satin finish polyacrylic finish. I have only to cut away the newspaper that keeps the finish from the walls and I'll be finished with it. I even pickled and topcoated one of the hand railings for the first run of stairs(completely)! I have another long one to do and the one from the left side of the short of stairs. I'm tired.

Being tired is good when your frame of mind is not. Helps with sleeping, I've found. :/

The Salon is in dire need of a serious vacuuming. There was a downright scarey film on the horizontal surfaces of the stairwell! The focus for me of late has been to list the "Julie Jobs" and begin checking them off. The stairwell was a biggie. Thanks, Julie! :)

I must now turn my attention to getting my computer out of the library and into the Salon. This is proving difficult for a technologically challenged person with a stubborn helpmeet. I don't fully understand the function of modems and routers, the options at my disposal, let alone the relative advantages/downfalls of any of them. We exchanged very cross words about it today (also involved is the long simmering issue of connecting the house to the bahn with respect to outdoor lights, which are still not operable from inside the house) and the present silence is just fine with me, so much for "love, honor, and cherish". ;) Sometimes silence is the best option. Having "right" on your side helps, too.

The prehistoric mouse that arrived with my Dell (Dude!) finally bit the dust yesterday morning. I had to call my BIL to see if he had a "loaner" for me. Indeed he did and we both got a chuckle out the round connection on the old one. I trotted down to the big blue place to purchase a replacement this afternoon. I am dazzled by the little button on the side that allows me to "go back" or "go forward" with out moving the cursor on the page! We're in high cotton now, kids. Lol.

Horribly behind here, but really do think about you guys pretty nearly every day. Your pictures dazzle daily and frequently leave me feeling more inadeqate that I presently do, but in a good way.

OK, time to head on out again and get rid of that newspaper. It will really make the whole projet take a giant step forward... I need that now.

Woody, the cat in your picture is my idea of a great looking cat. I've never had a Manx or a bobtail, but I know exactly what you mean about how they move. There is a bobtail at the the helpmeet's workplace and she moves differently, though no less gracefully. She's a delight.

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

O, Woody, I'm horribly jealous - I've had Black Prince on my wish list for about 4 years now - there's nowhere here in the U.S. that seems to carry it once Chalk Hill went out of biz -- Yum, can't wait to see it in bloom. you are going to have one heck of a huge group of blooming vines!

Great photos, 'bug -- enjoy your visit w/ your DS.

--Cindy

• jak1
    13 years ago

O.K., Today's thoughts:

10 things I like about winter

1. It's not hot and humid
    2. You don't have to wear a sun hat
    3. You get a lot of work done in the house
    4. You don't have to shave your legs because you wear long pants
    5. You don't need your air conditioning
    6. You don't need to water the garden
    7. You don't need to wear SPF 60 sunscreen
    8. You get to cook and eat comfort food
    9. School's in
    10. Christmas

10 things I hate about winter:

1. It's cold
    2. You need to wear a wooly hat
    3. You can't work in the garden
    4. You have to wear long pants
    5. You have to use the furnace
    6. You have to shovel the precipitation
    7. You need 15 SPF sunscreen
    8. You gain weight
    9. School's in
    10. Christmas

Cheers!

Julie

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Here are three images of my Cherry Cheeks Daylily, none of which really show her rich color very well.
    Norma

{{gwi:168863}}

{{gwi:168864}}

{{gwi:168866}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What splendid Idylling we have today-and on Monday too ! I had a wine-WALAT this evening and enjoyed a couple of hummingbirds that were spatting over a fuchsia- I was right in the line of fire too, they were zooming around pretty close to my person, oblivious to me but intent on running each other off. I can still hear them out there as I write this.

Feverish wave at Chelone-so glad to see you, and it must feel nice to cross another item off the Salon punch list. I vote for a wireless network at the Compound if its available to you, although Im not sure what the distance issues might be between the Salon and the Main Residence.

Michelle, what a nice b-day celebration ! Im with Deanne, even out here lots of places have some great end of season sales on Fountains-no one likes to carry big-ticket inventory items like that over the winter. I really would love a fountain too-used to have one but I hated it so I gave it away (it came with the house) and have dithered about the replacement. I keep buying birdbaths to tide me over !

Saucy, poor Sarah ! My late DH and my DD both had mono and it sure is disruptive, though I think the recovery period is faster than it was in those days. I seem to recall fatigue as being one of the really major symptoms. Good vibes out to yall from the left coast.

Love Julie thoughts for the day, lol, though I would have to modify them slightly to reflect my weather conditions..i.e. we dont generally shovel the precipitation here, and I have noticed that I no longer seem to have hair on my legs whats up with that ? I guess if you are going to go bald thats a good place for it, though the armpits would be welcome.

All for me tonight, baseball to watch !

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Well there was some crazy weather south of here yesterday; a suspected tornado and some damaging lightning strikes in north central MA. There was rain south of here and rain north of here but not a drop on my gardens but Im just as glad we didnt get that round of storms.

Cindy, I lol over "the disgust stage". You are too funny but I know what you mean. This summer has been brutal and so difficult to keep things looking good. It seems that Ive been at it 24/7 and still have areas that are very tired. Im going to start relocating a few containers into the borders and I dont normally do that until end of August/September. My clematis have just given up this summer. After that 104 degree day every flower on every clematis fell off the plants and there are only a few blossoms every here and there. I was looking at some photos from last year and my Arabella was beautiful this time of the year, covered with blooms. It only has about five flowers at the moment. Oh well, there is always next season

Woody, sounds like you are making some great progress on your swag. Love the pics, especially that container.

Bug, love you new hanger and that Echinacea, I saw a double one at The Farmers Daughter called Hot Papaya that I MUST have. A fabulous looking plant that was smothered with gorgeous double flowers. I have no place for that color though. Id have to rearrange part of the borders to accommodate it.

Kathy, what fun to get such close views of your hummers. They are such entertaining little things and so darned cute.

Waving hello to one and all, time to get outside and get to work.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I love Echinaceas Deanne! But, rabbits do too- so I need to cage the plants! Wish I could cage the rabbits instead! Last year I discovered Tiki Torch and think it is truly a great plant. As you can see, I have a love affair with oranges... I also love pale yellows though, so am fond of Harvest Moon and Maui Sunshine. Then there is Fragrant Angel which is white.... And on it goes!

I was up early and fired up the tractor and its wagon and carted debris off to the far reaches of the property. Mowed the path there too and was back indoors by 7am. So I'm now tired, but need to prepare breakfast for the troops.

Yes Julie...I'm with you on your seasonal thoughts!
    'bug

• saucydog
    13 years ago

It seems that Hot Papaya is the Idyll plant of the year! Deanne, I believe V. and Cindy have already succumbed :)

Sarah woke today looking more like herself. Fatigue is the biggest problem, Kathy, after the initial fever, sore throat, and malaise. Apparently 50% of cases have a swollen spleen that can rupture...but I refuse to worry about that. Just taking a shower last night wore her out. This morning she is eating all that she sees, though, and that is a good sign.

SunnyD came over to visit last night and declared my sitting area was better than last year at this time. I had to remind her that last year I had painting chores and so I didn't get set up until about this time. I may have to find a bigger pot for a few things :)

Watering duties continue here. Today was to be our boating day, but with Sarah in her state, Jake is going kayaking with a friend today. Nick and I sold our canoe to GB's son, and we bought kayaks for the family recently. I am looking forward to my maiden voyage. The water has been down so low this year, though, that it's tough to put in behind the house. When we go to Maine for vacation this year, we're going to bring them to a larger river.

I don't care how miserable the summer is, you'll never get me to wish for a New England winter, lol!

Time to water.

Saucy

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

I have been reading along, and discovered that I have missed a lot of birthdays. Going to try to catch up. Hope you all had nice BD's!
    Happy Birthday Julie!!
    {{gwi:168868}}

Happy Birthday Candy!!
    {{gwi:168870}}

Happy Birthday Eden!!

{{gwi:168871}}

Happy Birthday Michelle!!

{{gwi:168874}}

I will try to come back later and write more!

Drema

13 years ago

Today's planting list:

Comtesse de Bouchaud, Hagley Hybrid, Inspiration, Guernsey Cream (2 - one is very puny...), Hyde Hall, Snow Queen, Jackmanii 'Alba', Yukikomachi, Gillian Blades, Prince Charles, Galore (2), The President (3 - one by accident! The Hagley Hybrid turned out to be a 2-for-1 and I didn't notice until we went to plant it. There was no way to tell which was which and they were planted too close to separate... so I may end up digging that out if it screws up my color scheme too badly! One can hope that The President in that group dies off...) So that clears the clematis pot ghetto. I'm still looking for Rosemoor (2) and I have too many white ones now, none of which are group 3 because I couldn't find any white group 3. It's rather odd - wege done a lot of work in the south alley but it'll be a few ears now before it looks any different than the pictures taken after the ND roses came down! There's no point in taking any pictures of the work we did, because you can't really see anything! I don't expect all the clematises to survive. The house side is very dry, even with the help of thae rainbarrel/soaker hose. The other side is good because there's no roof overhang. There's a fair bit of root competition on both sides, so now we wait a few years to see how tough things are....!

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Love the peeks at your gardens, Drema! And talk about garden art -- how lovely. So nice to see - bring us more, LOL.

Saucy - did I miss where Sarah was officially diagnosed w/ mono? I guess that's where my rapid skims get me into trouble. It's such a "personal level" yucko disease - my DD got it her junior yr of college 3 weeks before finals - she had to take incompletes in everything and I had to take the train up to NE to drive her and her car & college stuff home -- one of those "never forget" fun parental memories -- she was a sick pup for a couple months; had a bad case of it. I really hope Sarah's turns out to be a very mild case and she recovers quickly (but be careful of a re-bound).... I guess one has to say thank goodness she's not missing school; but a tough way to spend the summer - for both of you.

I guess we could talk echinaceas for hours - I know on the regular threads there is much discussion of them. I had the Fatal Attraction one last year, 'bug, but it did not come back true for me this year.... I seem to end up with a lot of seedlings that are just purpurea types.... I think I'm having better luck w/ Ech. Vintage Wine that I fell in love with during the New York IU; it's looking really pretty with the Bonfire peach this year. That is one small area of the gardens that seems to be looking good this year. But golly, that Ec. Hot Papaya is a glorious color so I plunked it in despite the fact it likely will clash w/ stuff nearby -- I say, let's let them duke it out....

Can't see your photos as usual at the awfice, Norma, but hope to look at them tonite. I always love seeing your shots.

Glad to see Chelone check in to let us know she's chasing dust rabbits, while Im chasing the garden rabbits, LOL...

Stinkin hot as usual here.... We have a baby shower coming up in a couple weekends for DD so I've been busy trying to make some lists of things I need to do, without hopefully having to take any time off to do them. It's a hard time of year to have a shower, because so many folks are off on vacations - but such is life; I know it will be just fine.

Okay, gotta get back to lunch and woik.

Gotta offer some color tho -- I was thinking of Matanzas Creek where Kathy took us 3 weeks ago, today, Wow -- It was very warm there but not like here!

{{gwi:168876}}

I'd never actually seen lavender cut before - they were just starting (I suspect these are same images Kathy's posted, but they are worth repeating, I think):

{{gwi:168878}}

{{gwi:168880}}

-cindy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Cindy, here is where we need scent buttons on our computers!

Woody, you are going to need to water those clematis steadily. Mildew sets in when you don't. Another Randy job? Some people insert 18"-24" pipes next to each young plant with a rubber cap on top. They use these for watering directly to the roots. The cap prevents critters and soil etc from blocking up the pipe. Soaker hoses just didn't provide enough water when I tried them.

Drema...oh those raspberries! mmmmmmm!

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Afternoon all,

Well stick a fork in me because Im well done. It isnt as hot as last week but still high 80s and as humid as it gets and Ive been outside all day. Whew, Im one crispy critter and probably smell like one too. LOL ~~ Yesterday I spent the day polishing up my driveway garden and discovered an infestation of banded sunflower moth larvae in my Echinacea. So the flower heads are all cut off and Im hoping if and when they set new buds that it will be past the stage when the moths lay any more eggs. What a pain. Nothing is ever easy is it???? Today I repotted one of my King Tut papyruses and this will be the final potting up for that plant this year. Its been growing at light speed and was in need of watering three times a day so hopefully this will make it easier to take care of for the time being. Wish I could pot up my white brugmansia as that is another water hog and Ive taken to leaving the hose dripping on it all day to keep it from drying out. It is currently in a tremendous growth spurt and there are hundreds of buds forming so it should be beautiful in another week or so. My Charles Grimaldi is also finally forming buds as is my large variegated Brug called Shortys Variegated. I cant wait for the large Shortys to start blooming. ~~ Im getting ready for company Friday evening. Doug has invited some of the folks he works with for an evening in the garden and Im trying to get things polished up for company.

Cindy, just LOVE those pics of the lavender fields; gorgeous and perfect with those orange umbrellas. ~~ How cool youve gotten that E. Hot Papaya I almost bought one last Thursday when I was in RI but I really do not have that color anywhere except in the tropical container garden. Hmmmm maybe I should grow it in a container until I decide where to put it? The specimen in the display gardens was spectacular.

Drema, great pics from your beautiful gardens. Youve been holding out on us. Love that raspberry photograph especially.

Saucy, glad to hear that Sarah seems to be feeling better. What a worry. Heather had mono in her senior year of HS. I seem to recall she was under the weather for three weeks or so.

Bug, love that E Tiki Torch too but Im a huge fan of the new double Echinaceas. They are so fabulous and the flowers last such a long time.

Kathy, while I was working in the driveway garden a female Hummingbird came over and was feeding in the butterfly bush not three feet away from me. What a treat!

Woody, I cant wait to see the mature swags! Youve been really busy and gotten that huge task accomplished in a short amount of time.

OK Ive got to run and get washed up. Its time to think about whats for dinner.

Have a great evening all
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I started weeding around 2PM and here it is 5pm and DH is home already. What did I do out there? I can't say much, but I guess if I didn't do it, things would look worse. Mostly I focused on our bridge area. Man, those weeds take growth hormones....

Love your postings today Drema!

Off to create dinner. Hmmm, wonder what it will be!?! Lots of veggies because DS eats mostly bread when on his own!

'bug

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Cindy, interesting to see the lavender cutting process. Thanks for showing that.

Drema, I like the raspberry/fence shot too, and the others as well.

" What a pain. Nothing is ever easy is it????" Deanne I was thinking the same thing today when I noticed something blistering up the leaves on my morning glories which have been great looking until now. And I guess I have crown rot on one of my large hostas as the leaves keep falling away.

On the other hand I stopped at the nursery today to look for new pruners and they had all their annuals 60 percent off and I was in need of some filler color for the gardens so I loaded up on them.

It rained this morning and apparently we have another storm on the way. The humidity is wicked here too.

Need to hit the sack so I can get up and at em early tomorrow. Night all Norma

P.S, Saucy I hope Sarah is feeling better. We have been seeing a lot of kayaks around here. I just told Bob the other day that they must be the new canoe.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love your shots of Matanzas Creek Cindy ! I have it on my calendar to venture over there in fall, all those great grasses and the lav's will have some new growth with a whole different look.

Continuing a lavender theme, here is a photo of the lavender fields at Robert Sinskey Vineyards,(site of the IU7 tailgate party) much smaller scale but I like the white cultivars interspersed. The peeps seen in the distance are V and her lovely DD. {{gwi:168882}}From Idyllunion 7

Can anyone remind me what this plant is that Denise is peering at intently ? I'm thinking it was a Salvia of some sort ? {{gwi:168884}}From Idyllunion 7

Waves !

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I'm up now and been awake since 3am. Think I'll head out to water and weed in a few moments.

Just loving the lavender theme. My cousin used to live near the lavender fields of Provence... I too like the mix of the white and lavender varieties Kathy!

The frogs are very noisy these days!

Later!
    'bug

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I know I'm wrong on this account, but it sounds wonderful to be out weeding and watering at 4 a.m., GB! I think it would be a treat :)

I've been sleeping in each day until 7 or 8 because I've been staying up until 11 trying to find some quiet "me" time while Sarah's been sick. Today was back to normal as she slept through the night, and dare I say, I think she is feeling much better! Cindy, no, she was not officially dx'd except by process of elimination...the doc said strep or mono and strep came back negative. We had the bloodwork done yesterday for mono. There is still hope :)

Thank you for all the well wishes.

Norma, I liked our canoe, but our family outgrew it...namely Jake....he's 6"1' now and 3 of us that size do not leave much room for little Sarah, lol. Now we each have our own kayak which presents the problem of toting them from river to river, but my husband is working on the solution! I have yet to take mine on it's maiden voyage.

I found a groundhog in the GG yesterday. Fresh dug entrance to his new home smack dab in the middle of one of the beds. I am plotting and planning like Wile E. Coyote this morning.

Woody, I am interested in your swag project, reading intently. I look forward to updates on the progress. I only have two clematis, but I see where I can use more. Problem is that I plant them and forget them, and those that survive, well it's great, but I lose alot. I think I'm doing something wrong, but I'm set in my ways :)

I love peeking into your garden, Drema! Good to see you here.

I'm going to go and hit the garden early, too, though it doesn't seem too refreshing out this morning :) When it gets hot I'll come in and plot the groundhog's capture.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Just in from 2 hours of weeding which culminated in a thunderstorm. I'm wet..a sewer rat!

Yeah for a healthy Sarah!

Groundhogs: Where you see one, there are 100. Where they make a tunnel, it will be used forever. They produce several litters each season. Phoebe takes care of some of those. Charlotte eliminated quite a few adult groundhogs. UGH. Learn that you cannot plug the holes successfully. A minor solution is to empty used cat litter in the holes. There are at least 2 holes per den. They LOVE astrantia! Do NOT under any circumstances name them.... In our area people shoot them. Farmers do not like them...or anything else that moves I think.

OK, time to make breakfast and shower.... Then, if the rain ends, I may plant a few clematis in permanent homes.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a good gardening day. The asparagus patch is a disgrace. I hope to attack it!

End of this thread! Off to a new one!
    'bug

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

Kathy , I could very well be wrong, but I think the plant you are asking about is a Polygonum, Knotweed.