Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veronicastrum

Idyll #273 - My Dogs Are Barkin'

veronicastrum
17 years ago

We'll stay with the canine theme. Quebec City has a lot of hills and we walked a lot, so my dogs were barkin' for sure. As for the other dogs, there's been a lot of bunny and deer activity lately that keeps them barking!

Carry on...

V.

Comments (100)

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good afternoon

Gorgeous containers Eden!! And some lovely combinations from Marie.

Marian - glad you are still enjoying your plants on the deck. Di you know Marina is an anagram of your name? - I just miss typed it and realized that.

V - I'm so sorry you are unable to visit your brother. It must be a hard time for everybody. Healing thoughts going out for him.

We're having a rainy day here which the garden will appreciate. I wasted the whole morning trying to fix the UV Clarifier I bought for my pond. I purchased the clarifier 4 weeks ago on Ebay and the green water became beautifully clear. We've never enjoyed the pond more and loved seeing the fishes swimming right to the bottom. However, after just 3 weeks of use the clarifier tripped the GFI switch and went dead. It is not covered by any warranty (so I found out) and I've had an impossible time trying to locate the manufacturer online (made in China). I've even spoken to company represenatives whose English is only marginally better than my Mandarin. I took the tranformer apart and discovered the circuit board black and melted. Although sold as a "pond" clarifier the transformer should not have been used outdoors. For some reason this wasn't mentioned on the instructions grrrrrrr..... I have an electronics shop who can replace the transformer with something safe when we find out what the stepped down voltage is, but that has been impossible to determine. Sometimes the simplest things turn out to be the most time consuming and tedious. The only positive is I've learnt a lot about transformers today:0)

I'm sure just reading the above was boring so I'll get back to my task and post about something more interesting next time.

yours tediously,
    Mary

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Afternoon all,

Ive got to do a speedy post here as Ive got a ton of errands to do this afternoon and then be ready to take DD out for dinner for her birthday tonight.

Monique, so sorry you are all sick there. Jeesh! It sounds like you and Les have that type A flu that DD had a couple months ago. Take it easy as it can be pretty nasty. Poor Emma and Oliver too. I sure hope you are all feeling better soon.~~ Thanks so much for the corn salad recipe. Doug especially liked that and asked if we could make it sometime.

Bug, lovely pics and how neat that your Sally Holmes has come back for you. I really need to find that rose again. I miss having her in my gardens. Ive wanted to show you a pic of my lily and ninebark combination. I shamelessly copied your combo because I loved it so. ~~ RE MJs friend, sorry but that will never turn into anything more than friendship. Bummer! I quite like the fellow. He likes a vodka martini, red wine, gardening and does bicycling so we all had lots to talk about.

Marian, glad to hear you are doing OK with the deer damage. I dont think I could be that philosophical about it.

V. sorry about your DB. That must be so difficult. Hope you are all feeling better there soon so you can go and visit.

Eden, thank you, thank you for taking the time and posting the pics of some of your containers. They are all looking so very lovely. What is that strap-leaved plant in the second photograph to the left of the Mt. Washington coleus? (I think its a Mt. Washington) ~~ What are the two variegated plants in the third photo? ~` In the fourth photograph, what is the plant with the white leaf centers in the right of the container? And last question, what is that tall coleus in the back of the last photograph??? I especially love the container in that last photo. That very thin, graceful leaved grass contrasting with the coleus and the horizontal line of the lantana is really nice!!!! Dont chop too much off that one! LOL

Sue, am I correct in remembering that you might drop in on Sunday the 16th?

OK time to hit the road and make some headway on this list of things to do here. Have a great day.
    Deanne

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

V - So sorry to hear about your brother and the fact that you cannot go to see him. Glad to hear he is out of the woods at least and hope there will be even better news soon. BTW, I just copied and pasted the email address as you had them in the email you sent to us, not thinking about the fact that you wouldn't be on your own email list! LOL! Anyway, will go now to email to you.
    Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Deanne, we're spending Saturday night with my mom in Gilford. Unfortunately I'll probably have the dogs but if you're up for that onslaught we can certainly drop in for a quick visit and maybe a run to the Mixed Border.

Sue

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

V, I'm so sorry to hear your brother is having a rough time and that you aren't able to visit him. Hope he's out of the hospital soon.

Marian, hope you have those deer of yours under control and the barricades hold.

Monique, sending wishes that you are ALL on the road to recovery at your house real soon!

Mary, Isn't it amazing how much time trying to get something working correctly can consume? That can drive me crazy but you seem to be taking it in stride which is the smart thing to do. Hope you get it all figured out and the clarifier is up and running again soon.

Marie, thanks for all the lovely photos. I think I remember that lily with diablo from last year and I love it.

Sue, I agree that mulch is well worth the money. I didn't mulch this spring and have lots of weeds to prove it. But then my whole garden is in quite the uproar with all of the tearing out and moving around I've been doing. I keep telling myself that all of the chaos it's in now will pay off big next spring.

OK Deanne, lets see...the plants you asked about: in the second container Eucomis comosa Oakhurst and I think that coleus is Dipt in Wine, tall variegated plant in third container is a salvia called Dancing Flame and the smaller variegated plant up front is a variegated yellow duranta. The coleus with the white centers in photo 4 is buttercream and the coleus in the back in #5 is Dr. Wu.

I went to a garden tour a couple of Saturdays ago and one of the gardens was a train garden. Brad just loved it and no I'm not adding a train to my garden if you were wondering, lol. The engine had a camera on it and you could watch on a TV screen a birdseye or maybe bugseye view of all of the plants as it was traveling through the garden. It was very cool. Here's a couple of pics

{{gwi:169004}}

{{gwi:169005}}

{{gwi:169006}}

Eden

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Lots and lots of thunderstorms here this morning so my gardening clean up in anticipation of Woody's visit was curtailed. :(

Well folks, in case you haven't noticed, I've been quiet lately. (!!!) That's because DD has announced she is getting married over Labour Day and I have been sorting out my thoughts. I found my immediate response was not the joy I should have expressed and was mad at myself for that. She is very happy and my dismay is for her former partner who is shattered. Anyway, I am trying not to be too involved unless asked. My own wedding was controled by my parents in many ways and I still resent that to some extent 38 years later! Also the event will take place in a barn in Alberta, thousands of miles from here, so not much I can help with. You'll no doubt hear more from me on this topic as time draws closer!

V, does your brother have a laptop? Can you send him jokes and notes to keep him chuckling? I gather he is not comfortable talking by phone.

Love the photos Eden...Looking forward to IU3!!!!
    More later,
    'Bug

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I too shamelessly copied Maries lily/diablo combo since I had just added a couple last fall. I used a different but similar lily so we shall see. Unlike Sue I cant wait for mine to get large. They are intended to hide a utilitarian area. This year I added some cannas, elephant ears, castor beans and variegated KMOGG to add some height.

Marie, are you getting rain out of those thunderstorms?

V, sorry to hear that your DB has had this set back. Hopefully, he will be out in a few days.

Eden, you are such a whiz with containers. Each is so interesting. I agree that it is hard to photograph containers. I never know if I should get on the ground or go from the top down. The train garden is quite cool, but not for me. I think that seems to be a guy thing.

Mary, what a frustration with the clarifier and after it worked so well.

Deanne, happy birthday to your DD. Enjoy your evening.

Tonight our Bible study group is going to a restored Victorian house for a tour and dessert.

Later
    Michelle

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

'Bug, you've faced some big changes in your life in the last several months - losing your Mom, DH's impending retirement and then the reversal, and now your DD's upcoming wedding. You've got plenty of reason to take time to sort out your emotions. I hope all works out for the best, and you are probably right to sit back and "do as you're told". Remember you can use us to vent!

T, I forgot to mention how wonderful your DD looks! She is certainly all baby! I'm sure she is very, very ready to be done with the pregnancy - until, of course, you think about both of those babies wanting to be fed or have their diapers changed at the same time!

Okay, Idyll advice requested! Once upon a time, I remember Sue saying that she was raised by wolves. I, too, had a similar upbringing and there are some things I never had to deal with. DD's best friend is having her senior recital this Sunday, and we will be attending. This is a wonderful, talented girl who has been DD's best friend since third grade. Should I bring a gift? I've thought about flowers, but I'm also sure that there will be enough flowers at the church to rival a wedding, so I'm thinking flowers are probably not necessary. Any suggestions? The last recital I attended was DD's 5-year-old ballet class, and that was at a different level, you know? (And I'm still wondering if I should have had a senior recital for my own DD? Okay, so when I grew up in the cold, hard city, we didn't have music...)

And 'bug, that is a good suggestion on the laptop, but DB has not shared his email address with me. I did call him last night, but it is physically difficult for him to talk, so I didn't stay on the phone very long. We get along and as far as I kow, there are no hard feelings between us, but he just doesn't like to communicate very much with me. I think I've shared before that my mother did not care for his wife, and while I don't have a problem myself with her, I feel like I always carry my mother's sins with me in this relationship. I'm also suspecting that he's having more problems with his kids than he wants to admit.

I just watched a young ground squirrel climb up an oriental lily to snip a spent bud from the top - he looked sort of like he was climbing a tree! I do enjoy my window at work.

And if I want to keep that window, I ought to work...

V.

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Mary-your clarifier predicament sounds so frustrating...I do think that if I ever get a pond and I needed lessons on pond clarifier transformers...you'll be the one to call(sorry I am being too silly lol) I hope you get it figured out...buy a Mandarin dictionary? : )

So it was a slow building scream of terror and grief that escaped from the pit of my gut...did you hear it? The deer ate the daylilys that were just about to bloom and *would* have been a nice addition to my July garden....grumble grumble....nothing philosphical here!

Monique wow you guys are hard hit with ills and your pups too! Hearing about Lyme's scares me,wouldn't it be even more serious for a small dog?(not sure if that makes a difference)-I hope everybody heals quickly.

Eden-Why no train? lol. That does sound neat about being able to get the train's-eye view.
    Stunning containers there-I like them all and that first one is a knockout. I don't think any of them look out of control! You always find such great unusual plants-I love that name 'buttercream' for a coleus.

V that is sad you can't see your DB right now. That must be so hard. I hope he improves quickly so then maybe you can visit with him.

GB-I'm sorry you are having some trouble with your DD's choices. Were you shocked to learn she would marry this one? Obviously I can't speak for the situation she's in but sometimes a person makes an upopular choice and things still work out for the best. Is your intuition telling you something?

Sorry I need to go-I need to share the computer with the kids now.

~Babs

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A belated Happy Birthday, Eden!

{{gwi:169007}}

I hope it was a great day!

V.

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Eden!!!

{{gwi:169008}}
    I hope you had a lovely day!

I have been sick as a dog, but went to the doctor today and got drugs..

Will try to post tommorrow, Deanne, thanks so much for the lovely Elegans lily photo! Wow! What an eye popper.

V-Hope you are able to connect with your brother soon.

Bug- I hope all is well with the wedding. It can be an emotional roller coaster! If you are able to attend at such a distance, you can start looking for your outfit, and plan toenail color:)I bought three dresses before I ended up with the one I wore, and I got that in 15 minutes one night after work, three weeks before the wedding...could not make up my mind.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Drema

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Just in from carting several wagon loads of weeds to a brush pile out beyond the barley field. Unfortunately, DH can't help with that kind of thing yet.

V, I was wondering if you couldn't simply ask DB's wife for his email address. Tell her life is too short not to share things with a brother. There are shared memories and just plain silly stories about parents, uncles etc...that no one else can share. He can always delete your mail if he's not up to reading it, but I'd bet curiosity gets the best of him. Besides, he might just be flattered and simply not know how to talk about these things. For all you know he'd like to share email but not know how to take the initative.

Babs, I'm not concerned about DD's choices, so far! I've not met the man! I meant what I said, that I feel terribly for her former partner. He is away in the Yukon doing field work and they share 2 dogs. It's going to be cruel times. DD is a smart girl, 30 years old, and has actively decided to seek happiness in the past couple of years. I suspect she has found someone interesting, eccentric and loving. He has a solid job, that I know. She has a job interview tomorrow. We shall see how things go. For the time being, I am collecting photos of her early years for a presentation they will have. She has also asked me for dress ideas and I suspect she would like Drema's dress, except with long sleeves! Anyway, she has said no to black, which is a beginning!

I'm off to look at Eden's post of her day.
    'Big

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Bug-Oh yes I see now-I'm sorry that you haven't at least met him! I now get the sense of isolation you feel...though as you say you never wanted to be running the show for your DD's wedding day-I guess you have no choice now! So...will you at least get to meet him *before* the wedding day? I hope things work out better than you imagine for her former partner-that's tough.

V how sad things are strained between you and your DB-this is a time when he'd benefit from your support too. If that were my situation I would keep plugging away at staying in touch even if they were short bits of communication-maybe in small bits you can break open his shell.
    Funny you sure don't resemble a wolf...! I think a small token for your DD's friend is perfectly fine.
    What kind of butterfly is that in your card?? NIce shot!!

Drema but the question is,did you get GOOD drugs.lol. Hey that card for Eden is beautiful!!!! SO those are daylilies...I had daylilies once then a DEER ate them...: ) So are you psyched for IU3 now that the wedding is behind you? Did you have a good weekend or did your illness start then?

Time to plan my packing list: )

~Babs

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Gonna live dangerously & try to post directly on the thread from home (a dangerous combo) - I've been out of it last few days so afraid I'll probably overlook a lot (pls. forgive!!).

Monique - I sure hope everyone in your family, furry and otherwise, soon feel better - hopefully Emma & the antibiotics will take care of the Lymes; I hope Oliver on the mend too (along w/ you and Les).

V - that's sad re your brother & I think 'bug has a good idea - surprise him w/ an email (something silly & funny) if you can get the address from his DW -- I bet he loves 'em. Brothers are odd creatures - they never reach out but they seem to need the comfort in spite of themselves (can you tell, I've got one just like that?).... we women just have to persist. Re the gift for the friend/recital - it would be nice - maybe a little gift re relaxation - she'll probably need it after all the hard work - or maybe a gift card to local ice cream parlor or some special food treat place like that? You're right that she'll probably get a ton of flowers - that seems to be the routine thing these days that everyone brings to recitals. Maybe someone else has a more special thought for a present?

Eden - so neat that you've gotten such wonderful shots of your containers & garden -- I can't imagine all the time & effort you've put in - but it shows -- such artistry.

Mary -- Im sorry re your pond woes - I'll confess it reinforces my cowardice about having one - I think it's one thing to maintain that is just a bit too much for me - but I recall your photos -- you have such a grand one. Hope it's all better soon.

Drema - get better soon!!

T -- yes, the DD looks ready any day now -- but I think she's probably prettier in person - such a disguise?! Blurs are not becoming, LOL.

Nice to see Martie pop in.
    Hi to all I havent gotten to saying anything to (Im up past my bedtime.....) -- Sue, Deanne, Michelle, Marian, Wendy, Ei.... others...

But Im luvin the "garden photo therapy" !!

Ok - gonna press the button now & pray it posts.
    -Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

A couple of pictures to share tonight.
    Our native sambucus, the flowers are 8-10" across. They like moisture and many grow in the wet areas.

{{gwi:169009}}

This container is filling out nicely. In the center I am trying to grow a bronze fennel for height. Such a cool plant. This geranium is fabulous also. That is one plant.

{{gwi:146798}}

One corner of my garden shed:
    {{gwi:169010}}

A mostly self seeded area that looks so sweet to me:

{{gwi:169011}}

Night all
    Michelle

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Michelle - each pic is prettier than the previous one!! Wow. I love the container especially - is that a fuschia behind the geranium (& is that one called Merlot or something like that?) -- & your garden "shed" -- o my - can I come stay in it? it looks out on all your gardens I bet & is fantastic!! Worthy of a magazine layout! Boy, these pretty pics made me cheerful after a 2 hour commute this a.m. (made harder by having to be offloaded from a broken metro train & waiting for 4 more to come before I could get back on).... but Im in a much better mood - I can dream about viewing your gardens.

Thanks for sharing. I hope to see these in person some day.

--Cindy

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

No time for a chatty post, but just wanted to say how much Im enjoying all these pics.... Eden's your containers are *wonderful* not out of control, but I do know what you mean about taking shots of containers...they really do look so much better in person. Anyway, I especially love the two plum ones...I love those colors and that train garden is very neat too! Thanks for sharing.

V your butterfly pic is "out of this world" beautiful!

Drema....I *love* the color of your daylily, such a deep, deep pink and such a pretty flower form too do you know which one it is?

And Michelle...*everything* is lovely. I love your planting all around the gate...its just *gorgeous*!

You guys are really perking up my spirits. Thanks! I needed that!

Michelle, I also *love* that "purple" geranium and it is the *exact* color flower I was looking for this year, but couldn't find! Where did you get it? I feel like a slug asking...but is there any way possible you could give me a cutting from that geranium or can you tell me the name so I can find them for next year? I feel kind of bad for asking, but I would really like to carry that over winter and plant it in the two containers I have for *next* year -the way I had originally planned them. These are the containers your geraniums were suppose to be in! :-) I had to use red geraniums because I couldnt find your color when I was looking. I like the containers (though I know they need a little cleaning up and pruning too) but think how really nice they would have been with your lovely geraniums! :-)

{{gwi:169012}}

{{gwi:169013}}

Oh and heres something I wanted to share with you guys. I saw this delphinium at The Growing Place last year. I *swear* it was more red there (maybe it gets redder with age), but I still love it. It is a *gorgeous* shade of deep coral and I *love* the pinking shears look of the individual flowers:

Red Caroline Delphinium

{{gwi:169014}}

{{gwi:169015}}
    Well, I really have to go now. Hope you all have a lovely day. It is raining here and I am very grateful!

Ei

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We are supposed to get some really hot weather here the rest of this week with highs in the mid to upper 90's and no rain in sight.

I enjoyed the Dayton house last night. It was built by the founder of the Dayton department stores in Minneapolis. We had 2 small pieces of 2 different kinds of cheesecake for dessert (one of my favorite desserts) with fresh raspberries and kiwi fruit for garnish.

Cindy, you made my day with your sweet comments. You are good, that is 'Merlot' I think the colors in it are just stunning. The plant on the left is actually another geranium with more single type flowers. You are welcome to visit anytime and we won't make you sleep in the shed LOL Sorry about the bad commute.

Ei, your containers look fabulous. Is that ornamental cabbage or kale in there? I'm going to have a bunch of it in the gardens this year as I wintersowed it and got fantastic germination. I think the geranium would make a perfect addition to your containers. I'd love to give you cuttings. I don't believe I have ever seen a red delphinium. Very cool.

Later
    Michelle

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Just a quick drive by. It's raining here! Things were starting to get dry so that's good news.

Marie, I could write a book on boyfriends, fiancees and broken engagements with my daughters. I hope everything works out well for your daughter and that YOU survive it all!

Michelle, I love, love, love your garden shed. It's just how I pictured it would be. So sweet! I too have a native sambucus in the back corner of my garden that I love. You can't beat those big beautiful blooms can you? Love your self seeded area too. I've put in a request with a friend who does alot of fleamarketing and auctions to keep a lookout for a gate like yours for me. I just love it! Very pretty container garden too. That purple geranium is huge and beautiful! I also noticed the cool pavers it's sitting on. I w/sowed some bronze fennel and added it to a couple of containers but it hasn't done much. Yours looks like it's doing great and is a nice addition.

V, thanks for the butterfly! And Drema for the oh so pretty daylilies!

Ei, great container gardens, so full and lush, and yes the purple geraniums would look spectacular in them. What a cool delph. Never have I seen that before.

I have to go vacuum so no time for more comments. Hope all is well with everyone. TTYL, Eden

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Oy! Garden talk I'm good at, but wedding talk? DD is on the phone many times a day. "Gifts? People want to give me stuff? I don't know what I want..." "He wants me to think CAKE!. What do YOU think?" "Can you come early and do flowers?" etc etc etc. Today was dress talk. I wish Da would crochet one for her! She'd love it!

I weeded and weeded this morning and photographed white dresses this afternoon. Looked at shoes for me. NOTHING is comfortable for me these days. What a pain.

Bronze fennel is really beautiful stuff, but after a few years, it spreads around a lot! Beware! Love the garden "shed". I could move right in!

Eden, I would love to read your book on raising daughters. It would be a comfort right about now! I thought I'd escaped all this when I raised a hockey playing, outdoorsy tomboy. I was wrong!

Babs, "packing list"? Would you send me a copy please so I don't have to reinvent the wheel? ;-)

Lots of blooming wild elderberries here too. I even transplanted a few near the creek. I noticed that in the areas demolished by last August's tornado, elderberries are blooming. It lookse pretty weird.

Sue, finished heaving mulch around? I guess I should get into that this Fall or next Spring. At least in the veg garden. I couldn't possibly afford it everywhere.

Lots of fresh fruit at the stores these days around here: cherries, currants, blueberries, cantaloupe and more. Just love it. And tomatoes too soon. It is peaches I adore. They are good for about a week, then only so-so after that.

Later gang!
    'bug

• Jerri_OKC
    17 years ago

Here are a few of my barkin' dogs. ;)
    6 Rat Terrier puppies

Mickey

{{gwi:169017}}

There's MOM!

{{gwi:169018}}

Minnie

{{gwi:169019}}

Playtime!

{{gwi:169020}}

I love Dad. :)

{{gwi:169021}}

Hey, that's my sock!

{{gwi:169022}}

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Hi everyone, thought I would pop in and say how much I am enjoying all the pretty pictures.
    I have been staying very busy here. We had company for over two weeks and it really wore me out. Especialy the 8 year old great grandson whom I had to constantly remind that certain behaviours were not allowed at our house. I could actually feel sorry for him when he wasn't making my blood boil. He just hasn't had the proper guideance. The thing was that if the rest of his family wasn't here he was well behaved, but when they returned he would act up immediately. I don't get it.

Anyway between that and the floor remodeling earlier I am so behind in the gardens. I have got a lot done this week but my back is on the verge of screwing up and I am working in pain so have to stop often. I am enjoying just being out there though.

Drema , that sure is a pretty color daylily. Do you know its name?

Babs so sorry the deer got your daylily. I can feel your agony. I am holding my breath hoping that the deer don't discover my gardens. I have so many daylillies and I know they are a favorite food. The guy that cuts our hay said we have at least 14 deer and fawns including a set of twins. I'm hoping the fact that we have three large dogs is keeping them from near the house.

Sue I hope your deer doesn't make your garden a regular stop.

Ei, what is the fluffy blue green plant in the front of your planter? is it a sedum?

Michelle, That geranium is a gorgeous color. I've never seen one like that. I noticed the nice design in the pavers too. Your garden shed deco is really cool. I would love something like that. Can't wait to see what else you do. It is a fairly large shed isn't it?

GB, your DDs sudden wedding plans brings back memories of our DDs. She barely dated at all at home and I never heard much about anyone while she was in the army until a phone call home saying she was getting married. They did come home to get married at our house and we had a square dance reception at a neighbors shop. It was a good time,even if a little unconventional.

Great butterfly shot V. So how is your area with the bench and Diablos looking?

Happy belated Birthday Eden, I really like the terracotta planter in your first picture. I was going to ask some IDs on plants but see that Deanne already did. Thanks Deanne.

Cindy, aren't you glad to be able to come home to your gardens after such a trying day?

Mary, bummer about the uv clarifier.I hope you get it fixed. Ponds are a bit of work, but I get so much enjoyment from mine. I have two now. The second one is still a work in progress but I love being near the sound of the waterfall. It is so relaxing to me.

Marian, I like your attitude of changeing the things you can and accepting the things you can't. You need a large dog LOL.

Ok I'm fading away . Take care everyone. Norma

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Jerri, They are so cute. Our neighbors have a Rat Terrier that comes over a lot. I didn't know her name so I call her Andretti because she is so speedy. She is black and white and hangs out with our huge black dog. They make the cutest pair.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

A quick good morning to all,

Eileen that red delphinium is wonderful and I just love your containers. What is that plant in the container with the little yellow/purple violas? Is that a coleus? I cant quite make it out in the picture. It looks almost like Kiwi Fern?

Michelle, OK now I have to come and visit you!!!! I absolutely LOVE your garden shed and the garden with the delphinium and garden gate is wonderful. What the heck are you feeding that geranium? It is huge and wonderful. I think I have that same gerani9um but it isnt anywhere near that size and doesnt have that many flowers. That urn is just terrific.

V, lovely butterfly photo. Hope you are feeling better so you can go and visit your brother.

Drema, what is that delicious daylily?

Bug, wow, lots of news from you. I cant imagine trying to deal with being mother of the bride from long distance. (((hugs)))) So have you had any significant rain yet???

V. re recital, do what you are comfortable with. Maybe one of your lovely beaded pieces of jewelery? When did it become an obligation to do a recital for ones child? I didnt know that was another responsibility. Did your daughter express an interest in doing one?

Jerri those puppies are just adorable!

Norma, oh dear, what a dilemma with your grandson. Many times when a child exhibits that type of behavior he is looking for attention in any way he can get it.

Mary, so how goes the battle with the water clarifier for the pond?

Monique, how are you and family doing? Hope all are on the mend and feeling better. Ive been worried about you guys the last few days.

Sue, no problemo with the puppies. Whats your ETA? Will you be here for lunch or dinner? I hope?

OK Im way late in getting things watered and getting out to the gym and Ive got to go and take my friend to her PT appointment this AM. Ive taken a ton of pics in the last couple days but Ill try to get them up on a separate thread later. Later all.
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

We have been blessed with occasional showers the past 2 days, and again this morning. It hasn't exceeded 1 inch yet, but is the type that all soaks in, and continues to be in today's and tomorrow's forecast.

Eileen, thanks for the deer link. It has a lot of good info, but I'm afraid very little would be of use for us. I may approach the game and fish dept. and see if steps can be taken to reduce the herd. You are so kind to be so concerned wth our problem. Sorry it interfered with your sleep...:-( , but nice that you dreamed about me...:-)

V, I am so sorry about your dear brother. I sure hope the chemo will get rid of the problem. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to be near enough to visit, but not be able to because of your own germs.

My ailing relatives appear to be improving. My nephew is beginning to regain his speach.

Eden, I hope you didn't trim those containers very much. They look great to me.

Oh my! Sue, I am so afraid you WILL have problems with the deer. They soon learn that all the yelling and arm waving does not hurt them, and they start ignoring it. Most of the ones here just look at me quizzically, like they are thinking; " What is her problem?".

Mary...lol, I think I like 'Marina' better than 'Marian'. Some of my friends called me 'Mariam. I don't particularly like that name.

Marie, I am sorry that you are having second thoughts about your DD's upcoming marriage. Labor Day is a ways away; who knows what will transpire before then. I can't get too excited about any marriage in this day and age. There is so little commitment.

Norma, nah...no dog for us. We don't need that responsibiliy. Even if we ever decided to get one, it would have to be a barkless,( or nearly so), one. I am very intolerant of barking dogs. I like the neighbor's big white Great Pyrenees. He makes his regular tours, and never barks while around our place. ( His only annoying habit is 'watering' my plants...)

I am thankful for the rain that the dry places are getting, the dry and sun that the rainy places are having, the wellness that is returning to the sick and injured, the beautiful pics that all have posted,the fun times that have been had, the nice accomplishments of children and other family members.
    I am sorry for the too dry, the too wet, the still ailing, the family difficulties, the garden woes, the home disasters.

I really need to cut down more on my yardwork,( which I have really neglected the past couple of years), and maybe the deer and the drought, etc., is the incentive to do so. If/when I get to where I can no longer do the mowing, less to mow around would be helpful for whomever does it.

Marian

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

What a great wake up call! Jerri...the puppies are *adorable*! I really wish I could adopt one for my mom, but she probably isn't capable of caring for one anymore, as much as I know she would love it! She had a rat terrier when she lived in Tennessee and while my mom has *always* loved dogs, her Rastus was the one who truly had her heart; you know that one *extra special* soul mate dog? Your first guy Mickey (how funny that was our Irish Setters name) is the one that looks most like moms Rastus. I would love to adopt one myself, but with Scouts age and disabilities, a puppy is probably not in the cards. Scout is kind of touchy about his back and his legs (because of the elbow problem and arthritis) and I would be afraid he might get mad at a puppy jumping all over him. Omigosh, every time I scroll up and down I get this *big* smile on my face and tug at my heart! Well, Im sure all those little sweethearts will go fast. Rat Terriers are *so* smart and full of personality! They are wonderful dogs... Thanks for sharing!

Michelle...Thank you, thank you, thank you! You guys are all so wonderful and so generous. I would love to have a piece of that geranium, *but* I would hate to see you cut anything off your beautiful specimen and would be fine about finding it myself, if you know the name? Or, if you wait until the end of the season and then cut me a piece? In any case, thank you, thank you, thank you! :-)

So Eden hows the new vacuum going (you did get a new one, didnt you)? Still wearing a crash helmet? :-)

Marie Boy, you really do have your hands full! :-) But, you know it will all work out in the end; right? Makes me kind of glad I have a son though...LOL! I guess I wont be *too* involved with the wedding, unless the future DIL asks, which probably wouldnt happen as she has a mom to help her with decision making. Ditto on bronze fennel it reseeds here pretty well too. I try to get most of it out early in the season, but always leave a few up here and there - they are lovely fillers for the garden and great texture. Wouldnt it be nice if they would just "pop up" where you wanted them? :-) You made me hungry with all that talk of fresh fruit. I love peaches too, but only after they are peeled...I dont like the feel of fuzz on my lips! :-) Cantaloupe is one of my favorites and mom use to grow her own. Reminds me of a *special* treat mom would offer us kids - cut a cantaloupe in half and fill the hollow center with vanilla ice cream...yummm! Have you ever combined vanilla ice cream with cantaloupe? Its a delicious combination and very decadent back in those days...a half of a cantaloupe all to yourself?!! Mom use to grow the worlds best beefsteak tomatoes too! Thanks for the pleasant memories...

Hi Norma! Its so good to see you. Wow two weeks of company! That *is* a long stay, even if it is family. :-) Sounds like the GS really enjoyed and needed you Norma. Maybe sometime if you are up to it, you could ask to have "just him" come stay with you for a little while? I know it would be a wonderful experience for him and something he would remember always. The few times I got to stay with my grandma, *all alone* in California are wonderful memories that I treasure and carry with me always. Those visits left such an impression on me that to this day, the memories are still vivid. There is something special about the bond between a grandparent and a grandchild, at least it was so for me. The knowledge that someone loves you unconditionally and just for who you are. My grandma made me feel secure, safe, loved and *very special* and I know that those are the same feelings your grandchildren get when they are with you. I can just tell by the things you have shared about your time with them. I sure hope Drema pops in with the name of that daylily...LOL! I *too* would really love to know the name of it....to put it on that ol master list of mine...LOL! Oh! The fluffy green plant in the containers is Parrots Beak (Lotus hornklee, I believe). I love the texture. Last year I tried to let some go dormant, thinking I could "wake it up" like I do a lot of things I carry over, but no success. This year I think I will take *one* plant in and try to grow it like a houseplant (actually, I think thats what they are considered here). Im terrible at growing house plants and thats why I tried the dormant thing, but will try growing it this year, as sometimes its hard to find Parrots Beak locally.

Mary so sorry about the UV clairfier. When you come here, I will have a lot of questions about the pond, Im sure! :-) Maybe you can recommend a clairfier for me by then and also I would like some instruction on using those "lines" to protect my fish. I did go to the link you told me about (long ago) and printed out the instruction, but its always helpful (at least for me) to have some personal instruction! :-)

Hi Deanne! Are you out there? Im missing your morning posts! BTW, which clematis is that gorgeous purple one youre showing in Edens birthday card? I have not found Arabella yet...but will definitely get that one...love that not only is it *beautiful* but such a loooong bloomer to boot....

Oh! Hi Deanne! I just was going to check the posts and you popped up. Good Morning! So good to see you! Yes, that is a coleus in the back of the containers (Christmas Candy). I like it a lot, an easy grower.

Yes, I too was wondering about Moniques DH and Emma and Oliver. Have you got the results yet of Emmas test? Scouts test wont be in until Thursday. What antibiotic is Emma on? The vet said that *if* Scout tests positive for Lyme, he would put him on a Tetracycline form antibiotic, but that I would have to watch him, cause they can cause problems? Do you know anything about that? Or know if there are any other options besides Tetracycline? In any case, glad to hear that hubby is better and hope that you are feeling better too and Emma and Oliver too!

Hi Marian! How are you doing? Im glad you are able to take the losses in stride. Not sure I could be so philosophical either. Did you ever get a chance to take a look at the link I posted? Probably nothing there to help you?, but I thought it was a very well written article. No problems here, except just busy, but you are right it *sure is* quiet here these last few days.

For no other reason then just to share...heres a couple pics from the garden the other day... Oh! I *think* I saw my first hummingbird of the season this a.m. Not sure as I was looking out the window of the office and he flitted by *so* fast!

One of my favorite lilies...Doeskin...I love the gentle blush of color. Shes so delicate looking!

{{gwi:169023}}

Heres by the pond, with a few surprise seedings of Bronze Fennel. I love the airy texture it provides. Can you spot it in the upper left hand corner and lower left hand corner?

{{gwi:169025}}
    Heres Veronicastrum Fascination and Golden Splendor Lilies:

{{gwi:169027}}
    Well, gotta get moving. Thought DB was leaving yesterday, but instead will be leaving this afternoon and I need to get myself busy with errands...so have a great day all! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hi Marian! LOL! Well, I see you answered my question...
    Your post was not here when I posted mine...how does that happen? Yes, I was happy to dream about you too. :-) Actually, it was a pleasant dream...except for those darn "giant squirrels"! LOL!

Okay, have a great day all! Ei

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention...we are being serenaded by the kadydids at night. So far they are not loud enough to bother me. Nolon said he hadn't even heard them. His hearing is getting increasingly worse.

The blooms on the Maackii didn't last long. Maybe it was because of the drought? The sumac out by the east woods has been pretty with their bloom plumes. The roadside on the way to town is blue with chicory. Our pear tree is hanging heavy with fruit. Hopefully the critters won't get all of them.

Sunday evening, as we were leaving the house for evening worship, Nolon's cousin came driving in with another load of slabs from the sawmill. Man...did he have a load! His poor old truck ( 1964) could hardly maneuver to unload, ( it has a dump mechanism), but after much smoking and groaning it finally got back far enough to not block our driveway. I 'peddled' as fast as I could in order to not be late to our meeting, and made it with a little time to spare.( I hate going in late.)
    Nolon is now busy cutting up that pile into firewood, even though his back has been extra bad. He can hardly get around. He has a doctor appointment this next tuesday. I will see that that problem is addressed.
    At my last appointment I found that my BP is finally at an acceptable level. I now have an appointment next month with a Rheumatologist for my shoulder and neck problem. I 'am' feeling much better since I got my meds adjusted.

My deck plants are fantastic, and the chomped off caladiums are puttin up new leaves! Can I expect new leaves on the Hosta?

There are still blooms on the Rose of Sharons. The Stargazer lily has 3 of it's 8 blooms opened.( It is caged from the deer). Most of my Tiger lilies were consumed, as well as all the other lilies. I can only hope for a better year next year. The Glossy Abelia outside my bedroom window has been covered with blooms for several weeks, and is teeming with visiters.... bees, butterflies, moths, hummingbirds...one of my favorites is a moth that is no bigger than a bumblebee, but looks like a miniature hummingbird. My young Goldenrain trees were covered with blooms last week, ( and before), now the reddish seedpods are developing.

I hope all the ailing pets are recovering. Trubby gets a little more filled out each day. He was just skin and bones after his terrible sick spell.

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

It was a small world this morning. I took some pictures, Ill have to how they turned out. Last night I finally got all the cannas planted. Generally just trying to clean out the pot ghetto. We havent had any significant rain since June 20 so I had the sprinkler going all evening.

V, I think I probably was raised by wolves too. I wouldnt think that a gift is necessary, but would be a sweet gesture.

Norma, the shed is 14 x 28 and I have more plans for it. The pavers are actually all old bricks. Some were much larger than normal so I thought they would make an interesting center area.

Jerri, cute pups and displayed so cute as well.

Ei, I already took the cuttings last night. We will see if they root. What a fabulous color on that lily.

Norma, sorry to hear that you are still dealing with back pain.

bug, at least your DD wedding is soon and you wont be in the turmoil for 9-12 months like many weddings.

Marian, nice to hear that you are at least getting a little rain. It all helps.

Deanne, come on out anytime. Id love to have you.

Later

Michelle

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi! Too busy at work to talk much but I'm reading and thinking of everyone.

Deanne, DD never asked about a recital, but as the summer goes on she keeps going to one after another, and I just started to wonder if I had blown something. Those darn wolves just never told me about this stuff, you know? Their idea of a good time was to tear apart a neighbor.

I will soon be having nightmares that the danged wabbits will reduce my entire garden to nothing but nubs by next Friday. And then the ground squirrels will dig holes for the nubs to be buried in...

But I did laugh uproariously last night. Our front door is all glass, and last night a frog was sitting on the outside of the door, about three feet above the ground. Mystic tried and tried and tried, but couldn't lick that frog off the door from the inside. All DH could see was a door getting dirty, but I thought it was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!

Jerri, those rat terriers are adorable!

gonna run,

V.

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Hi, I came home today after a couple hours of work-my fever went up to 101 last evening but is fine today. However today the cough is leaving a strange taste in my mouth and when I blow my nose-the same taste. I never have respiratory problems, so Im not used to this. Luckily we have a dr at work and he saw me but cannot determine whether its bacterial or viral. He wrote me a script for an antibiotic, but Im one of the people who think you shouldnt take them unless you know for sure it is bacterial. There are too many forms of antibiotic-resistant bacteria out there from drs prescribing w/o fully diagnosing. Our work dr didnt offer to culture anything so I probably wont fill the script. Hubby is still coughing but has not had a fever in a week, so this is a long term respiratory illness. I hope were both better before our trip next week.

Emma is not doing well. The vet put her on doxycycline but she hasnt improved yet. Shes fine at times, but at other times shell scream then freeze in place as if she thinks it might hurt again if she moved. She is lethargic and not her usual feisty self. One thing that is good is that she has not lost her appetite in the least. We started giving her a baby aspirin 2x/day to help with the pain. We have a vet appt on Saturday morning for both dogs and we might have to change meds or give her a stronger pain reliever.

Jerri, cute rat terriers! We participate in some terrier races with rat terriers and their people. They seem like sweet dogs.

Michelle, love that shed! Unfortunately mine is filled with gardening supplies-I wish we had room to get another for the other corner of the yard so it can be a nice seating area like yours.

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

Jerri - what adorable pups!! They look as if they are having a lot of fun with that sock.

Monique - do hope you are feeling better soon and Emma finds some medication to ease the pain.

Hi Marina - oops Marian;0) Glad your BP is back to normal. I don't know about hosta regrowing leaves - I do't think mine did but someone else might have better recollection. Wonderful that Trubby is plumping up!

Hi Norma - I think my pond will always be a work in progress. Do you have pictures of your two? Take care of your back - I put mine out working on the pond.

I finally tracked down the information needed to replace the transformer for my UV clarifier. One of the nice chinese gentlemen I'd talked to called me back with the information I needed. However, as I was cleaning the bulb and housing the inner quartz casing slipped out unexpectedly and smashed into the sink. I let out a few choice words - fortunately only the dog and DH heard them. There is no way I can replace the casing so the unit is done for. Rats:0(

One thing that did cheer me (apart from thinking about IU3 which brings a big smile to my face) was getting a call about the new job, explaining that the principal of the school is away till next Monday and that I should hear something then. I think (maybe), (perhaps), I'm might be invited to the next interview. Not hearing anything I'd begun to think otherwise. I just hope its not when I'm in Chicago.

We had 2 ins of rain today and I'm feeling very soggy. I spent so much of the day indoors I even started ironing some of David's little shirts. I haven't ironed in months but David serenaded me with his guitar so it was actually quite pleasant!

Well, Chicken is a cooking and corn needs to be shucked.
    Off to the kitchen

Mary

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Well, you can add me to the get well list. I am on day three of medication and still in horrible pain every once in a while. The day after the wedding my jaw started hurting. I thought it was because of the rain, humidity, being out in the cornfields setting up the reception...My sinuses think my jaw is my nose. I have been getting these sharp blinding pains that just take my breath away. But not all the time, very strange... No fun. Oh well, enough of my boring illness. I just hope it is better next week. I thought antibiotics were supposed to work wonders...Maybe I waited too long to go to the doctor, thinking it would go away.

For those of you who asked about the daylily... I am not sure what its name is. I am trying to be better about that now. I will go to the nursery I got it from and see if they have any more like it, and try to figure it out. It is a small local nursery and they typically have the same plants from year to year, because they propagate their own materials.

Monique, I hope Emma is feeling better...and you and Les too! I wonder if it is the humidity this year that is causing all the respiratory yucky stuff.

Deanne, after I posted the wrong name of your Regale lily I felt kind of dumb. From my mention above, can you tell I am not that good with names? Guess I am making up my own, huh? I was feeling pretty sick that day, so I will blame it on that, and it does look very elegant, thus the new name... either way, I love it!

Ei, I didn't realize that you had a pond. It looks really nice.

I would like to say a general thanks to everyone who posted the picture threads the last few days! Your gardens are all lovely. I love seeing them.

Mary, good luck on the job interview. Unless they have a personal aquaintance who they are hiring, I can't imagine them not picking you!

Hi everyone else! I am really looking forward to next week..and I have to say, I really miss seeing Cynthia's garden pictures this year, and her furbies...I wonder how the garden she planted last year looks now....Must run and try to find something hot to put on my face... my friend said to use my coffee cup. The closest I have come to this kind of pain is childbirth...amazing.

Drema

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Just a quick pop-in here --
    Jerri - those terriers are so cute - good thing you live too far from me!

Monique - Im so sorry to hear you're still feeling poorly (do you think it's a sinus infection now maybe?) & Emma feeling so rotten - boy I hope you can get that under control fast - it's the worse thing when they're sick & hurting isnt it?

& Drema -- get better soon & dont bring any germs w/ you to the IU!!

Yep, we probably got an inch or more of rain too here -- feel like swampland - goodness only knows what fungal diseases are now raging on the plants & what other things are going to keel over.... well, I guess it means I don't have to drag the hose around tonite, right?

Im really swamped here at ofc too -- the flak jacket is coming in handy -- I told one atty the other day I felt like I was in the front line war trenches -- to which he said, o "like cannon fodder"???? yep... pretty much that... definitely disposable -- hope everyone else has their flak jacket donned for appropriate battles at their own office today as well... I think Im gonna put in for Kevlar protection.

=
    Cindy

• just_t
    17 years ago

Drema, hope you feel better soon! I suggest you contact the doctor that prescribed the antibiotics and let them know that you are still having severe pain. The antibiotics should have kicked in and begun their magic by now.....it may not be that you need antibiotics and there is a different problem. You'll be in my thoughts!

I've begun at the bottom of the Idyll, so will go back and read from where I left off yesterday. ;o) I'll be back....

My best to all on this drizzly overcast morn.

T.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

Drema...I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. It *must* be sinus time, I've got that foggy head feeling this a.m. I have gone through most of the garden season w/o sinus problems this year and I was so pleasantly surprised...I'm bummed now. Re the daylily...don't rush out and make a special trip...take care of yourself instead...we want you healthy for the IU3! :-) But, whenever you happen to be passing the nursery and you think of it, I definitely would like the name...but there is *no rush*! Thanks about the pond it is not very big and not in the best place (up against the garage) but I do love having a pond. In the next house I'd like to make a bigger one and place it in a more flattering space. Hope you are feeling better soon...the pain sounds awful! :-(

Marian I *loved* your nature walk this morning. I've only seen katydids I think once in my life (they are not the same as praying mantises; right?). I was a small child playing under my little friend's porch and I spotted one. I wanted to take it home as a pet...LOL! Actually, I think praying mantises are neat too...seem so much more "pet like" than most bugs (well, to me anyway...LOL). Poor Nolon...life sure doesn't get easier as we age, does it? I'm sure it took a lot out of him to cut up all that wood. The things we take for granted when we are young. I'm starting to feel my age a bit. The arthritis? (maybe a pinched nerve, I don't know, I've never had it checked out) in my left arm was just aching me last night and woke me from a sound sleep. It was throbbing in the wee hours of the morning and I was having such a hard time falling back to sleep. If I elevate it a bit and stretch the arm out the throbbing dimishes some, but that's kind of hard to do when your sharing a bed with someone...LOL! Tonight I'm going to remember to take some aspirin before I go to sleep. Good to here your BP is under control and glad you are feeling better with the new meds. Ahh...your description of the plants in bloom and all the busy little creatures is wonderful. You tell it so descriptively that I could see it all in my head! Thanks for sharing those peaceful pleasant thoughts! :-) So glad to hear Trubby is on the mend too!

Michelle...you are such a sweetheart! Thanks again...I'm very excited! Yes, that may be one of my favorite lilies...such an usual and delicate coloring...it makes me smile every time I see it...and...it doesn't need staking...now that *really* makes me smile! :-)

Monique...so sorry Emma still isn't feeling herself. They're such a worry, our little pets. I hope by Saturday she is feeling more perky...I know you must be worried.

V...I guess we have the same kind of humor...I would have loved to watch the frog show too! LOL!

Mary that is such a bummer about the clarifier! How totally frustrating...I would have let a few choice words slip too...LOL! How neat that you received a follow up call...I think that is a good sign too! Keeping good thoughts...

Well folks, I'm off to do some weeding, deadheading, la dee da, la dee da (or should that be Doodle oodle ooh doo, doodle oodle ooh doo, doodle oodle ooh doo, doo doo doo)? I want to be done before the really hot weather they are predicting arrives.

Deanne your talk about going to the gym inspires me, but also gives me a little of the guilts. I have not been regular about going the way I should (making excuses of being too busy, but they are just excuses). I wonder if I work really hard at it and not miss a day before the IU3, do you think I will be svelte by the time the Idylls get here...probably not, LOL! But I am at least going to try to get back to a better schedule.

Have a great day all! Ei

P.S. I heard this last night on the 40's channel. I love that channel...they even play the commercials and the news from that time...it's a lot of fun. Anyway, I've been singing this song ever since hearing it last night and thought, why shouldn't the rest of you too? LOL!

A Bushel And A Peck - Perry Como & Betty Hutton

(Doodle oodle ooh doo, doodle oodle ooh doo,
    doodle oodle ooh doo, doo !)

What'cha doin' Hutton?
    Doodlin' . . . can you doodle?
    Can I doodle? ~ I can't get it outta my noodle!
    How come?

'Cause I love you a bushel an' a peck,
    a bushel an' a peck and a hug around the neck (Ouch)
    Hug around the neck and a barrel an' a heap,
    barrel an' a heap an' I'm talkin' in my sleep!
    About you! ( About me? ) Yes, about you!
    My heart is leapin', havin' trouble sleepin'!
    you bet your purdy neck I do!

Do you like me Perry?
    Oh very, do you like me Hutton?
    Like a glutton!
    So, where's your "Como" button?

Oh! I love you a bushel an' a peck (How much? )
    a bushel an' a peck though you make my heart a wreck!
    Make my heart a wreck and you make my life a mess,
    make my life a mess, yes a mess of happiness!
    About you! ( About me? ) Yes, about you!
    You're gonna grieve me, if an' you ever leave me!

doodle oodle ooh doo, doo ! )

Heh heh, it's gettin' kinda quiet around here!
    Oh! we can fix that Perry boy! Let's go!

I love you a bushel an' a peck,
    a bushel an' a peck and it beats me all to heck,
    beats me all to heck how I'll ever tend the farm
    ever tend the farm when I wanna keep my arms about you!
    About you, the cows an' chickens, let em go to the dickens

. . . it's gettin' kinda quiet again!

. . . an octave lower please!

Have a great day all! Ei

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Jerri!Those babie are adorable!!!My boys were 'oooing' and 'aaawing' over the puppies. I do think we are getting closer to pethood because when I see puppies now I think of how fun it would be to have one around instead of immediately thinking of the work involved. Even Chris is less guarded when I show him pics(I knew I could one day twist his arm). I just love terriers...they could hunt my chippunks: )

V I love the mental image of the frog on the door and Mystic trying to get him!

Marina; )(that discusssion about your name cracked me up because for years now I am constantly having to retype your name-it almost always comes out as 'Marina'-glad I'm not the only one doing that!we have fast fingers Mary) Sorry about your Maackii tree-but you might be right about the drought. Hopefully next season it will have better conditions- a pain to wait a whole year though.
    I am happy to hear your BP is in a better range-it sounds like you are getting some of your health woes somewhat figured out.
    You bring up a good point-*sometimes* when the deer attacks they do help the plants-such as the plants that get new top growth because of the damage-not the most fun way to get new growth though. I didn't have time to apply repellant last night so I'm wondering what I will find chopped off today.

Ei & V-how do you have time to post here??lolol.

Norma-so good to see you! It's pretty interesting to see the behavior dynamics in kids-they are pretty smart and know how to manipulate the system...just how do I know that?lol. I do think the alone time you have with your GS is so valuable-he's absorbing every moment with you.
    Be careful with that back! Mine is still not right after my fall.

MOnique-your illness sounds terrible-can you take an expectorant like robitussen?? Gingerroot tea works very well to help bring up that 'gunk'.(sorry that sounded gross)
    OH poor Emma-she sounds so pitiful: ( Such a worry for you. *That's* the part about having a dog that I worry about-I hate that they can't tell you what their symptoms are and it seems like so much guesswork. At least she is eating well and maybe the new appt will shed some light. Good luck!

MAry-that UV clarifier has just been bad luck! Will you get a new system?
    I'm glad you might get that next interview! Good thoughts that you do.

Drema maybe you were smiling too much for the wedding? lol but I bet you are having allergies. Mold is SO bad right now with all the rain. When sinuses are swollen I do think it can affect any part of the head-including jaws: ( If it's allergy, antibiotics won't do anything: ( Can you take an OTC antihistamine/decongestant to see what it does? I've been needing at least a decongestant these last several days because if I don't my ear aches(we'are all falling apart lol).

Michelle if my garden shed(that I don't have)looked like that inside,I would be there all the time: )

Hope I didn't miss anyone...it's so late and I'm still in PJs!!

~Babs

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Ahhhh ! What beautiful day. It is showering again for the 4th day in a row ! I love it ! My rain gauges are still saying we haven't recieved much more than an inch, but every drop is soaking in.

Ei, I am so glad you enjoyed my last post. I wish I would spend more time on the beauties of nature and less on my aches and pains....:-(
    Guess what.... I have That very song,( with those same singers), on a tape. I taped it and hundreds of others from a radio station that played all those oldies. That one is espacially familiar to me. I have a bunch of Perry Como's.
    Katydids are similar to grasshoppers, but are almost always in trees.They are green and bigger than grasshoppers. They are extremely noisy at night...that is when they 'sing'. Nolon is still working on the wood, between showers.He may be about 1/2 done with the cutting. Next he needs to move it all into the woodshed. Sorry about your left arm. My right shoulder was throbbing the other night. Usually is is not a throbbing pain, just persistant. Part of the pain in my arm and leg must be a nerve problem, because any cool breeze blowing on them really hurts. I had to don long-legged pants, and a shirt with sleeves, this morning because the chilly breeze coming in the door was hurting! I sleep with a pillow under my arm, and 'must' have a bed by myself because of the many positions I get into, trying to find relief.

LOL, V, I sure hope your 'wabbit-ground squirrel' dream/nightmare does not come true. I love your frog on the glass door story. I, too, can picture that in my mind. I presume it was a tree frog? We have them, and they do get on my windows. They are so cute.

Monigue, I hope you are getting better. I have that 'strange taste' occasionally, accompanied with strange smells also, or a loss of taste. Sinus woes can sure make a body miserable! You are wise to avoid the antibiotic unless you need it. So sorry about Emma. I can empathize with you.

Mary, that corner of your shed is sure neater than my house!
    I like it.
    LOL on the "Marina". What a drag that the UV clarifier is 'toast'. ( BTW...I haven't ironed in years ! )

Drema, your pain reminds me of a nerve problem.
    Antibiotics sure won't help that, if it is.

LOL, Babs...et tu Brute' ( Marina) :-)
    Sorry that your back is still not right after your fall.
    Now...get out of those pj's ! Don't you know, that contributes to making you feel like you are still sick?

I should be posting from my new computer the first of next week. Tim is coming tomorrow eve for that purpose. He, and the girls, will be spending the weekend. He plans on taking me digital camera shopping too.

I almost forgot...last sunday, when driving out,( on the county road), I had to brake suddenly to keep from hitting a hen turkey. Nolon said the littles ones were there too, but I didn't see them. He had seen them before, up at the head of our driveway. He says the babies are about as big as a chicken, and that there are a bunch of them. Neat !

Marian

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Meet the newest inhabitant of my garden, Mr. Deer.

{{gwi:169029}}

He seems to be getting more comfortable in the reclamation area. I've seen him three mornings this week. Tonight I did a quick check and he's been sampling the yews, and some Heuchera and Hosta flowers. I guess I'd better get my behind to a garden center tomorrow and get some spray.

Good grief!

Sue

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Sue, I just checked out the New England forum, before coming back here, and responded to your post there! I suggested you post your deer pic here! LOL ! I should have known you would. Good luck on the spray!

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Thought I'd better take a minute to post. We need to finish up this Idyll. You know they start to get stale after a week, lol. Meg just left with Bella. That child was a handful today. I have to watch what she's doing every minute. Today I caught her dragging poor old Abraham around by his ear. There's not much left of him and that's the last thing he needed. I had to rescue him and place him up on the couch where she couldn't get to him. I always tell her to remember that she has a great love for animals and she's usually gentle with them but I guess she forgot for a moment.

Aw Sue, your new pet is beautiful! Hope he doesn't do too much damage and you can convince him to move on real soon.

Ei, I love that doeskin lily. What a suble but beautiful flower!

Marina, (typed that by mistake and then decided not to correct it, wonder how many of us do that?) anyway good news that you'll be getting a new camera and posting with your new pc soon. I'm looking forward to lots of pics from you again. I've missed them!

Drema, sorry your in so much pain. Hope you get it figured out pronto and feel better!

I'm tired and going to bed so that's it from me tonight. Oh except where's Deanne? Didn't she promise us a new thread of pics? I've been looking forward to it all day! Hope it's here tomorrow...

Night All, Eden

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

SUE! That thar deer's got HORNS!! lol. I so pity you-I don't think he's going anywhere anytime quick and he's probably been around longer than you know: (
    If you get serious about putting down repellant you might be able to steer them away-they are very much creatures of habit-they come back for more and more.

Eden-I remember those days when Ryan needed to learn how to be gentle-all young kids forget from time to time and need reminding. I had such a fun time tonight sitting in the screened porch and watching Ryan collecting fireflies out in my garden sitting area. He was immersed in his bugs and having a fun time talking to them. Luckily the bugbox has a big hole at one end so I know they will escape: ) Soon Bella will be doing that too-but I did recall a few squished ones in his hands when he was just a little older than Bella lol.
    I do hope Abraham recovers!

Marian I guess we've all been calling you Marina: )

HI Deanne!

~Babs

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

Drema sorry you're in pain. A couple of vitamin A capsules broken open and spread on the skin helps with pain for me when I have toothache that causes the cheek to ache. It's saved me from the worst of the pain while waiting to see a dentist. Maybe it will work for you. I hope you and anyone else sick heal quickly.

Marian I knew a Marina, and she was very nice like you, but you look like a Marian to me. :) I can't wait to see the pics with the new camera. Glad your nephew is getting better.

Jerri those are such cute pups. I'm glad they have you to look after them while they wait for their forever home.

Michelle the sambucus is lovely. I've read that the cooked berries were traditionally used by the natives for medicine here. The sambucus is a favorite of mine not just because of its huge panicles but also because I've long been interested in native herbs and treatments.

Sue Mr Deer looks almost like a statue. I've read that if you find the deer trail leading to you place, then you can set up a barricade there and the deer will go to some other poor soul's garden. I think spraying and deer fences are better personally. There is no easy way to live with these mutated rodents though. To their minds so to speak we're growing on their lands.

We went out to our favorite szechuan place tonight to celebrate Richea's 49th Birthday. What a great meal. I gave him a white gold chain, for which I've ordered an eagle for Christmas. Of course he doesn't know about the eagle yet. I'll have to save my loonies (Canadian one dollar coins)for this, but at least I have his gift picked out. He's very hard to buy for. He wants a motorcross motorcycle, but I won't be buying him that. He wants to go in the seniors groups but I'm terrified that he'll fall and hurt himself. I'll never be able to watch.

We also took a walk with his mother, who is in a extended care facility. It's so great to see her medically cared for clean and fed. Her mental state has been very bad for many years, since she had a nervous breakdown and was given electric shock treatment. We had her placed in many homes and situations which she always ran from. Now she can't run more. Hurray. She has a wandering band on which doesn't allow her to leave the building without being escorted. She was not caring for herself at all and the place where she was living called the health department in and social services. Luckily they caught her and locked her in while she was being treated for diabetes, and a heart condition called atrial fibrilation. We truly feard for her life before, and now feel she has a life.

Michelle sorry I didn't say hi back all the times you said it to me. I always start out too late to really write here at all, for example it's 1:10 A.M., but I type away for a while and then fade away, but I do appreciate and feel like part of the group when I see your, and others', greeting. I wish I could do so well as some here with the clear, to the point, one line comments, but I guess once a novelist, always a novelist, lol. Anyway thanks again.

Hi everyone else. I'm thinking of all of you, appreciating you for who you are and enjoying your pics. Also I hope all who are sick and any sick pets get well soon.

Yeona

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

Well Wednesday night we got some more torrential rain and it just smushed the gardens. I have a sneaking suspicion that there were either huge raindrops or huge raindrops with a bit of hail mixed in with it. It tore most of the petals off the remaining Asiatic lilies that were blooming and also broke petals off the daylilies. In fact there were flowers and flowers parts all over the ground yesterday morning. The Polish Spirit lost half of its flowers as well. Le sigh! Oh well at least it isnt a deer.

Sue! Arrrrrggghhh!!!!! I think that would just do me in. If I had to deal with deer on top of everything else I might just quit gardening. So sorry you are now faced with the hoofed rodents.

Yeona, Sounds like you had a nice BDay celebration for Richea. Happy Birthday to Richea!!! Another July Birthday. Ive still got five or six more July birthdays to send cards for. I love your idea of buying a chain for the birthday and a medallion for Christmas. Neat! I wish Doug was that easy to shop for. He doesnt ever wear any jewelery. (I wear enough for both of us I guess. LOL) and all he wants for Christmas is an airplane. Now that is NEVER going to happen. ~~ Sounds like you have so much on your plate between your family and Richeas Mom. Glad to hear she is in a good facility where the care is what it should be. That must have been such a worry when shed wander off.

Mary, so sorry about the UV Clarifier. What a pain in the neck. ~~ It now looks like Doug will be spending one or two weeks a month in Rochester for the foreseeable future so I can see a visit coming up sometime in the next month or two. Id like to come out with him when he does a short week and comes home Wednesday night instead of Thursday or Friday. ~~ He took his bicycle this week and did a 20 mile ride on the Erie Canal and he was in heaven. He loved it and wants me to come with him so Ill be out there before the cold weather hits. Ill have the UAV this time so I wont be limited to what I can carry on a small airplane. LOL

Babs, loved Ryan and the firefly stories! Too funny he talks to his bugs.

Eden, oh dear about Bella and Abraham. She is at that age where they go a mile a minute and you just cant foresee everything theyll get into. I hope he wasnt too upset by his being dragged around. ~~ Thanks for asking, Ive just been in a bit of a downer of a mood lately (feeling sorry for myself because I cant attend IU3. I keep reading through all the emails then being bummed. I still want to get the emails though, you know how when you have a toothache you keep poking at it even though it hurts?) Anyway, it makes me very happy that you really want to see more pics from me so Ill get to working on that thread. I took a few of some of my favorite new coleus from this year and there are a couple of great ones there.

Marina, whoops, Marian, yes Ive typed your name that way many many times and corrected it. Great to hear you are going camera shopping and that Tim is going to visit for the weekend and get your new computer all hooked up. ~~ Glad to hear youve gotten some beneficial rain the last few days.

Eileen, I love that Doeskin lily. Do you know what type of lily it is? It looks like one of those new crosses between Asiatics and the types with the recurved petals. What a fantastic delicate color. I think it would look beautiful with my peach Jolyene Nichole daylily. Your pond is so pretty with that Oak leaved Hydrangea and the Veronicastrum/Trumpet lily combination is WONDERFUL!

Cindy sorry things have been difficult at work for you lately. Ill bet your ready and past ready for vacation.

Drema, so sorry you arent feeling well. That pain sounds strange. What is causing that? Ive never heard of sinus causing jaw pain. I sure hope you are back to feeling tip-top again soon. (no worries about plant names, Im still learning too)

OK Ive got to run and get ready. Im going to take a bicycle trip to Ayre, MA again this morning. It is going to be in the mid 90s today so Ive got to get out of here early. Im going to meet my girlfriend in Pepperell and we are going to go on to the end of the trail and back. Ive got a few pots that need some water before I leave so Id better get on it. Have a great Friday everyone!!!

Deanne

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So Deanne is comparing us to a toothache this morning?

And it looks like Sue has a spike in her garden! That would be a buck that is getting his first set of antlers. So he's still a growing boy - which means he's hungry.

The air here today is as thick as a brick - yuck.

Tonight my goal is to get home while it's still light enough to see if I have a garden. Then early to bed, early to rise so I can get some work done outside before it's beastly hot.

TTYL,

V.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning!

Thanks Deanne for all the nice compliments...you are always so thoughtful and supportive to us all. I really appreciate it. Thanks too Eden & Deanne about Doeskin :-) She is actually prettier in person. I saw her described as a "peach champagne" and there is a pearlescence to the petals that makes her glisten in the garden! :-) She's an asiatic lily with what was described as "turkscap" type flowers, so she may be a cross, but I don't know. Anyway, Deanne, in the fall I could dig you up a bulb of her, if you would like to go with your Jolyene Nichole :-) I have her in several places in my garden, so happy to share...you too Eden, if you would like. I will probably need a gentle reminder in the fall...so please do remind me! So sorry about the storm and the damage to your pretty flowers. I too was hoping for some more beautiful garden pics.

Actually, I was thinking 'Doeskin' would look lovely next to Sue's deer too, but I don't think she would last long...LOL! All kidding aside, I am very empathetic Sue. Deer are *so* pretty, but what an awful "guest" to have in the garden. Hope he goes on to find greener pastures.

Hi Yeona...it's always great to hear from you. Good to hear about the positive things going on for your MIL. I smiled about the good care facility she is in. It really is such a relief when you can find a nice place. There are some awful ones out there, but some very nice ones too. DH's grandmother stayed at one just 5 minutes from my home and it was such a nice, cozy, small, clean, friendly place (really just like a home) that I told DH that's where I want to go (if I must) when my time comes.

Eden what a great thing to say to Bella! I really like the way you used positive reinforcement to encourage and gently remind her. You are a wonderful grandma; Bella is very lucky.

How neat about the turkeys Marian! Glad to hear Tim will be in to fix up your puter and to get you a new camera. I can't wait to see all the wonderful pics you will be sharing of your beautiful property. I *love* your surroundings! Laughing about the typo Marina, but as Yeona said, you definitely look like a Marian to me...Maid Marian, actually, that's how I think of you! ;-)

Okay, need to get ready to take mom grocery shopping. So "Hi" to anyone I missed. Have a great day! TTYL!
    Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Good morning all......

Another VERY light shower this morning early. Just enough T&L for me to have to get up and unplug the computer from the phone line, and a sudden wind that prompted me to close the windows.

Hi cyber-daughter Yeona! Thanks. I look like a 'Marian' to me too. LOL
    Your Richea is almost exactly 6 months older than our Tim. I hope he had a happy birthday. Shoot...I was hoping Tim was getting too old to still be interested in a motorcycle. When he was a teen he wanted one. His dad said he could have one when he was bigger than him. Well, he got as big as his dad, but the desire for a motorcycle evidently went away.I have not heard him ever mention wanting one since he grew up.
    So sorry about your mom's condition, but glad that things seem to have leveled off for her, and you. How old is she?

Eden, multiply your one GD by 3, and you can imagine what we have gone through when our GDs were here before getting old enough to stop watching like a hawk! It is such a relief that I can relax when they come now. They spend most of their time either playing with all the toys from the toy box, or putting together a jigsaw puzzle. No more roaming all around to see what all they can get into...:-)
    Also, keep in mind, I was 61 when the first was born. Nolon was 67! We sure were not used to having small children around!
    Poor Abraham. I hope he has recovered. Our cats always ran for safety, but have almost accepted them now since they aren't so pesty...:-)
    Thanks on the pics. There may not be that much left to take pics of! :-( I can only take so many pics of my deck plants. Of course, fall may be beautiful.

Deanne, all your bicycle riding sounds so fun. I wish I had learned to ride one.
    Sorry about the rain/hail and plants.

A question>>>>Are any of you having a problem with fruit gnats? I have been buying a lot of fresh fruit lately, and my kitchen is swarming with fruit gnats! I have put the fruit in plastic bags, but the gnats are still all over the cabinet and the bags! Curses!

My deer barracades are working, but unprotected plants are still being pruned. The large blue hydrangea gets smaller every day! This morning the bucks were back under the pear tree. Poor Nolon is trying to deter them, by putting piles of wire rings all around it. He left too many gaps, and they pick their way in amongst them. He is out gathering up more wire to fill in the gaps! It is really bugging him. I am not upset about them eating what falls on the ground, and they can only reach what hangs low enough. The problem is...the limbs are getting heavier and heavier, and hanging lower and lower.

Sue, one of the bucks under the tree this morning has antlers almost exactly the size of 'yours'. There are at least 3 bucks, probably 10 or so does, and heaven knows how many fawns. 4 at a time have been seen. One doe and her spotted twins passed through the old garden spot while I was looking out yesterday. They bed down in our yard, after eating their fill !

Marian

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marian, thank heavens I haven't had a problem this year, but last year I had an awful problem with the fruit gnats. Most likely, they are actually something called vinegar flies, nad you can make a fairly simple trap for them. You will need a 2 liter plastic bottle, and if you don't have an empty one on hand from the GDs' last visit, I bet you can get one from a friend. You want to cut off the top 1/3 of the bottle, and then you will turn that piece upside down and set it on the bottom piece. Fill the bottom with about an inch of vinegar and leave it out near where the flies are bad. They will be attracted to the vinegar, fly into the bottle and most will be unable to fly out again. It sounds so simple, but it really works. Every few days, I would carry it outside well away from the house, empty it out and refill the bottom with fresh vinegar. Leftover wine also works very well, but I bet you don't have much of that on hand! :o)

V.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Marian, how exciting, a new computer and camera. My word, you have a whole herd of deer at your place!

The other day we saw on top of a building 3 large birds that we didnt immediately recognize. We first thought they were wild turkeys until we saw them fly. They soar like eagles. It turns out that they were turkey vultures. I had never seen them around here before.

Yeona, I have never collected any of the elderberries. I will have to watch for them. The all grow down by the creek so its a little trek from the house. It sounds like Richea had a nice birthday. What a relief to see your MIL is being cared for and is safe.

Talk about being gentle, I had a disgusting experience last night. Jaden came with something in her mouth. I assumed it was dead until I heard this peep, peep it was a young bird and she was eating it live. I let her as I realized the bird was beyond help at that point. I was so thrilled that Jaden wanted to share her hunting skills with me NOT!

Deanne, sorry about the damaging rain/hail. We got 2/10" yesterday. It was welcome, but we need much more. We are getting temps the next few days close to the 100 mark. That wont help. On the news last night I saw that ranchers in South Dakota are selling their all their cattle for whatever they can get because of the severe drought there. There is no water and no hay crop to feed them.

Eden, I know exactly what you mean about watching them every minute. I dont remember having to do that with my kids.

Babs, I laughed at your comment about being the in shed all the time. Lately its been quite hot in there. My dad told me that he saw an air conditioner at a garage sale. He wondered if I wanted one for the shed. I told him that might be a little extreme, but if he finds a little refrigerator to get that for me.

Cindy, good thing you are getting a few days vacation. I know the swamped office syndrome.

Mary, what a bummer about the clarifier especially after you got the information what to do with it.

V, I have a humorous picture in my head of Mystic trying to "clean" that frog off the window.

I hope that all the Idylls who are sick are feeling better. Drema you should talk to the Dr. again. I cant believe there is so much illness in the Idylls in the middle of the summer. Weird!

Stay cool
    Michelle