Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

July Comes to an End at the Farm

gardenbug
14 years ago

Here's how things look between showers. I'm afraid things are beginning to rot, but here are some highlights.

Rose Astrid Lindgren:

{{gwi:169140}}

Clematis Abigail.

{{gwi:169144}}

Clematis Mikelite with Semu.

{{gwi:169146}}

Fireworks Goldenrod

{{gwi:169148}}

Hosta Golden Tiara..a good year !

{{gwi:169151}}

The ligularia is wonderful!

{{gwi:169154}}

My favourite Pink Integrifolia.

{{gwi:169157}}

First bloom on Veratrum nigrum. Strange to some, but I like it!

{{gwi:169161}}

And a few mystery clematis in the holding garden:

{{gwi:169164}}

{{gwi:169168}}

And every garden needs a spot of orange!

{{gwi:153878}}

So much rain here. It rains daily and nightly. I can't walk on the grass at all. Leaves are spotting, weeds are growing too. Guess I should go knit!

Comments (10)

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Gorgeous Bug that Mikelite with Semu combination is outstanding. I really love 'Golden Tiara'. It blooms like that for me every year. A beauty of a little hosta.

Deanne

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Looking good - as usual - gb :-) Do the little nodding bells clematis put on as much of a show as the big ones? i.e. do they bloom profusely or is it a subtle display of just a few bells? Do you grow them through shrubs or as stand-alones?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woody, it depends on the plant. Frankly, I have yet to decide where they'll all go! I do like them going through shrubs as well as combined with larger flowered clematis.

Here is one from last year to give you an idea: Kaiu with Mikelite.

{{gwi:169170}}

14 years ago

Why does the image of a Christmas tree pop into my mind?! :-)

I think one of those would go better with my wisterias than the ones I'm trying to grow into them. Do they get big? (I'll have to look for them on COTW - what search terms would find them...?) Where do you get them?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kaiu was sold by gardenimport last year. Others I used to be able to get from my English friend here but he no longer is in business. Perhaps LH has some? I also grew some from seed.

You can look at COTW under Pitcheri, Viorna, Texensis, and Crispa. I have poor luck with Crispa in terms of health, size, etc.

I also ordered some Japanese ones from Joy Creek Nursery, the only place that sells to Canada. (For money!) I purchased Fudo and Myofuku from them and love them. Myofuku does particularly well here.

This is Myofuku with Little Bas.

{{gwi:169172}}

14 years ago

Thanks - I'll have to do some checking around....

14 years ago

That white-ish one in the first picture would be perfect with the wisteria - although perhaps a bit short. I looked in the Joy Creek catalogue and can't find it! What time of year is best to get them by mail order - spring I'd assume? I was just checking Lost Horizons' catalog - I think we may make a trip up there tomorrow....

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LH...I'd phone first to ask about the particular clematis. They were a MESS last time I was there....

Spring or Fall works fine for them...with time to allow for roots settling in. You can always plant the pot in the ground over the winter for a year or two...

Available plants change from year to year, place to place. That's why you need to check the catalogues constantly. Do you have the Gardenimport one for Fall? They have Blue Belle, Trikatrei and Emilia Plater now, all three are good selections. Oh, they have Jenny too, another nice one.

14 years ago

I wasn't going to LH for something specific but rather to see what they might have - that was in bloom! Given my experiences with clematis in general and specifically this year, I no longer trust that it will turn out to be what the tag says! I'd rather buy something in bloom if possible so I can at least see what I'm getting :-) I did get the Gardenimport catalog and haven't decided yet whether to get anything or not.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Lovely as usual. Those little bell shaped ones are adorable. My fireworks is no where near the blooming stage. I have several nice clumps of Golden Tiara from Deanne.