gardenbug
13 years ago

Time for this red hot Tidyll!

Comments (106)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Saucy, I highly suggest a kitty friend for Marcy! Rabbits are rodents and destructive. They chew on many things: wood, stairs, mattresses, tennis rackets, shoes, just to name a few. If they don't chew a great deal, their teeth curve and grow inward into their brains. Sorry to be so gruesome, but it happens often enough. We gave our rabbits hardwood pieces to chew, but they were mostly caged in our barn and not the pets we hoped for. They are supposed to be litter box trainable, but ours were unsuccessful at it. Cleanup was never ending. Yet another time consuming thing for Mom to do...

I'm headed outdoors now.
    Later gators,
    'bug

• flowerluvr
    13 years ago

Good morning, all!
    I'm thrilled-the humidity has left. I think it'll be back, but today is gorgeous. Everything is still dripping wet, so I haven't started weeding yet, but it felt lovely having coffee on the porch this morning. While I'm waiting for things to dry off, I'm doing some of Jim's laundry. I don't want to be too obvious and have his bag packed and sitting by the door, but I'll be as helpful as I can ;) They're not leaving until this evening. There are 11 guys going. 3 pickups pulling boats..what a caravan!

Kathy, are you kidding me?! Those pounds I lugged back didn't help you out?? Probably plucked em off of a total stranger, lol! I have new incentive to lose more weight. The less I weigh, the smaller canopy I can jump. The smaller the canopy, the lighter the rig. I'm told the one I'm jumping now weighs 35-40 lbs. I was hoping there was one of the kids' old backpacks around, so I could put some weight in it and do squats. Apparently they've already gone to goodwill, lol! Yes, I am being a little sneaky, but very little of the stuff will actually be Jim's. Just odds and ends of stuff around the house, and he can't let go of anything, even if it's not from "his department". He will lose some clothes, but nothing I'd risk insulting someone by giving it to them. He wears his clothes until they're rags. I've seen some really odd tan marks on him from holes in his clothes. I think it reflects poorly on me when he walks around in tatters, while I'm flying across the country, and taking skydiving lessons. I'm pretty sure people think they know why poor Jim can't afford clothes :) Okay, we're on the same page with the cheap wine. Everyday stuff is around $8-9 a bottle for me.
    I hate waiting on an "alien estimate"! I usually assume something I know nothing about must cost a zillion dollars. I'm spoiled-I know a lot of people with heavy equiment. I can usually get something done for a meal and a few beers. My biggest hurdle is usually getting Jim to go along with a project. Here again, a meal and a few beers usually helps.

Denise, Best wishes to Ein on his surgery. There is nothing more pathetic than an animal in the "cone of shame". LOL, I'm pretty sure Jim's got reservations about leaving me alone, knowing that I'll probably go skydiving.I got a "talking to" from him last night. I'm supposed to make sure I give someone at the dropzone my insurance card, and BE CAREFUL! LOL, I know people can't help but tell me to be careful skydiving, but it does make me laugh. There is NO ONE more anal about their gear check, and they've got me backed up in every way possible. There's a device to deploy the main parachute if I just say screw it and don't pull. There's a reserve, in case I have to cut away my main. If I cut away my main and don't pull the reserve in like 3 seconds, there's a device that deploys that for me. My canopy is 230 sq. ft. That's huge, so it's very docile and forgiving of newbie steering, and makes for very slow landing speeds. I think there were around 30 people killed last year in skydiving incidents. Worldwide. That said, I take this VERY seriously, and am ultra conservative. I will skydive like a little old lady and have a spectacular time floating slowly around the sky. Leave the crazy stunts to the kids, I say. I just wanna fly :)

Saucy, have a wonderful day. There is nothing better than having a beautiful day to yourself to do exactly as you please!

I'd better get myself busy. There's a breeze blowing, so outside work is near at hand, and I'd better make good use of the day. I'm going to have Jude tomorrow, and keep him overnight. Probably not much will be accomplished once he arrives :)
    Have a good one, all!
    Brenda

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Weve been enjoying a few days of cooler temps. I worked in the garden a bit before work yesterday and it was so cool even the mosquitoes werent out. Last night Rick helped me apply some mulch. I never seem to get it down until mid-summer, but those areas should be good for next year so actually Im working ahead right?

Deanne, I hope you got a nice soaking rain. I believe we have a chance for tomorrow. I should say you are having success with the rexes. Is that Escargot in a container or in the ground? I've had that one and it failed to thrive for me. Acutally the only one that did well was a purple one of which the name escapes me. I had it for several years.

Denise, you are so funny you grow so many cool plants that I cant. Good wishes on a successful surgery for Ein.

The sad thing is there is so much flooding around here along with water and in some cases sewage in basements.

Yesterday we had the carpet in our living room restretched to remove a wrinkle. We moved our furniture out the night before. This was not a good thing for my back. While the furniture was out I thought about how easy it would be to paint. So I think we will leave most of it where it is now and tackle that job. I dont like to do house jobs in the summer though.

Saucy, I'm envious of your day to create. I need one of those. It seems like there's just never enough time.

Brenda, I kept my Salvia Black and Blue over the winter and it must not mind neglect since that is the standard treatment here.

Back to it only 45 minutes left
    Michelle

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

gb - can you help me please with a French translation? I'm reading a book about the gardens at Versailles. It mentioned that mar de vigne was used as a soil amendment but didn't translate what that is. The best guesses that Randy and I can come up with are dregs of wine or perhaps the waste after the grapes are pressed. Do you know what it means?

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

TGIF from out west.. Im right on the cusp of several weeks of travel , and this weekend I need to try to get some house chores accomplished around here, as I will be on the road part of next week and the weekend. The Oregon trip follows close on its heels. I have had another possible driving trip, this time to SoCal added to the fall itinerary to take care of some family matters.

Brenda , I must say I have had a flashback to the I Love Lucy episode when Lucy and Ethel try to get rid of Fred and Rickys old clothes. I confess that my gardening clothes are pretty horrible, and ancient I have always sported them in public when shopping at the local garden centers the employees and other customers look every bit as disheveled as I do- but now Ive taken to wearing them on grocery shopping trips too. It seems so pointless to change my clothes when in the midst of a gardening day !

Woody, far be it from me to try translate French-I leave that to GB- but here we have what is called pomace which are the seeds, stems and skins that are the residue after crush, and it is often re-applied in the vineyards as a compost of sorts. There are companies here that also bag and sell it to the consumer.

All for me tonight waves all

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woody, I agree with Kathy's suggestion on the grape residue as compost...

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Kenzie is here this morning. She is thrilled with the fairies and fairy horse that I found for the fairy garden. She's not ready to go out yet as she thinks its too cold. Its 71 lovely degrees with some breeze.

She went to day camp at the lakes this week. She told me she went horseback riding and now she wants a horse.

Yesterday's swimming and hot tub soak seem to have helped my back alot.

We are planning to leave late next week for a trip to Glacier National Park. Anyone been there? Any tips? I'm not nearly as good at research as I used to be. I used to send away for information. Now with the internet it should be so much easier.

I'd best get going for the day.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

I suggest you take lots of photos Michelle !

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelle, DS did some very serious hiking in the mountains there with 2 friends several years ago. It was BEAUTIFUL, strenuous and there were loads of wildflowers. Maps were essential, as were good shoes, (take blister bandaids!), food and water. It is vast, so they saw no one. I believe they needed permits to enter as the number of people in the area they visited was limited.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Kathy, ROTFLMAO! I thought I was the only one who has started going out on errands in my gardening clothes! I did draw the line at the ones that split, although I continued to wear them for a while in the back yard. Being afraid of forgetting the situation, I finally tossed them before I embarrassed myself in public.

Brenda, I wish I had the spunk to skydive. I think it would be the most amazing, exhilarating experience-once I was out of the plane and falling, but I fear they would have to pry my hands loose from the side of the door and shove me out the first time-teehee.

Michelle, so glad Kenzie is having fun at camp. I think it is a rite of passage for every little girl to want a horse after her first in-person encounter. Heck, I would still love to have one. Glad the back is better. That should make the trip more enjoyable. I've never been to Glacier National Park, but would love to go someday. I am putting together a (bucket) list of places I want to go. Must really be getting old, even though I don't feel it. I second Kathy's request for photos!

Denise, Brando is always my first thought when I hear the name Stella. It is hard to say it normally, isn't it? Poor Ein. Hope the surgery works and the other is a slow forming one, if there is such a thing with cataracts. I love mockingbirds. There used to be one that would sing down our chimney when I was young and we would whistle back to it. Great fun for those of us who grew up without all the electronic distractions we have today.

Saucy, too bad about the parking lot (Joanie Mitchell comes to mind). Hope your vay-cay this week at home is ever so wonderful and I have no doubt that Maine will be splendid. Oh, and don't worry about those weeds-I am sure they will still be waiting for you when you get home ;)

Well, today is one of those perfect summer days. I planned to work in the yard this morning, but DS came by and sat and chatted for a couple of hours. Nice. Do need to accomplish something today.

Grinning and waving, all.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is "a little of everything" day. We are gradually re-installing fixtures in the newly painted bathroom. DH has started work on a grant proposal. (These take months to prepare...) I have made meals and started some weeding once more.

{{gwi:169410}}

{{gwi:169413}}

DD phoned in the midst of weeding, and we chatted about having professional family pictures taken. She has been working on selecting just the right person to do this. I'm thrilled. This is so unlike her....but I am happy about the way she has gone about selecting this person. I hope all goes well.

I took a few photos and have also been dragging the hose about. Yesterday I located Echinacea Fatal Attraction which I've decided to try.

Is Stella on her way Cindy????

OK, here are a few from today:
    The patio
    {{gwi:169414}}

I'm thrilled that the Vitex is early to bloom!
    {{gwi:169415}}

Only ONE zucchini plant is necessary:
    {{gwi:169416}}

Rose Marie
    {{gwi:169417}}

Reed Garden
    {{gwi:146612}}

Ciao!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Sorry for the late check in for folks who wanted to know about Stella -- she's kept me Quite busy.... we're both busy bees. She arrived safe but woeful yesterday - poor thing got car sick on her first long car trip... and has not been terribly interested in eating altho I've now managed to get one good meal in her. But she's pretty and sweet and frisky.... one forgets like babies how tiring puppies are, LOL; I'm sure that's for a good reason.

Denise -- I hope Ein's surgery goes well and he bears the shame cone with stoicism and dignity (I know that's hard wearing one of those things)...

Michelle - have a fantastic trip - what a glorious place to go -- it will certainly be cool there and the sights - o my.

I hope Kathy has a great and not too cruel, gruelling road trips... and manages some gardens to relax in!

I havent done a lick of gardening this weekend - Im afraid my next weekend visitors are going to have to wear blinders if they step outside - the sight is pretty icky! And there's lots of puppy chaos - how does it affect the whole house? I dont get it - except for having to remove the baskets and plants from puppy contemplation and nibbles, and gates galore to safeguard the fast flash thru hands that miss to areas of new fascination and exploration....I do crate her, but hate to do it for very long... We had a great nite last nite tho as she was soooo tired...

Here are a couple pics:

Stella - when she decided she needed some down time:

{{gwi:169418}}

Earlier when she was having a hard time choosing:

{{gwi:169419}}

And a better one of her sweet face:

{{gwi:169421}}

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

When August rolls around I always find myself peering critically during the WALAT and beginning the process of deciding what gets the heave ho , or the relocation orders in fall. 3 poor performing roses are on the hit-list as are 3 Spireas . Some of the new things I out in this year were planted in poor locations and need to be moved. And then there is the issue of the Liquidambar which continues to be a thorn in my side.-and a sticky ball beneath my feet.

Lol Cyn, I keep a clean chambray workshirt in my car , and throw it on over my holey and usually not too clean gardening t-shirt when I go to the grocery store-it covers the worse sins, and its always freezing in Whole Foods so it serves a dual purpose.

bug, the Reed Garden is sure coming along nicely . I was trying to figure out what criteria you used to select the plants ? Lovely pics from around rhw farm today, but I especially liked the patio scene which gave off kind of a Deep South vibe to me for some reason.

Denise, my BILs are having cataracts removed from their mini Austrailian sheepdog later this month- he was diagnosed with diabetes. I wish Id done the same for my dog , though she did pretty well with her failing sight for many years. Hope all goes well for Ein .

And speaking of dogs, what a cute little thing you have there Cindy ! Will she be left on her own when you go to the awfice on Monday or are you taking a few days off ? How much does she weigh ?

Back out to put the tools away !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Close your eyes Chelone...The first of the travel pictures are in.
    This is my very favorite!
    {{gwi:169423}}

And this is super! He's getting more brave I think!
    {{gwi:169426}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathy, I wanted the Reed garden to have grasses and reeds in it. So that's where I started. Then I found Amsonia and decided I loved it and that it would look nice with the grasses. I had extra Sedum angelica and moved it there for brighter color. By then I decided to add oranges and yellows to go with the blood grass and the Sedum, so that's when I added orange Echinaceas, orange Agastache and Coreopsis 'lightning flash'. There is a hydrangea in the back right which I hope to turn from pink to blue! I couldn't resist the Plumbago 'My Love' even though I'll need to overwinter it indoors. Also there are white bulbs there in spring.
    We'll see how it goes next year...

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Things went well and we had a nice time this a.m. with Rick's sister and BIL. Kenzie was present as well. Afterwards Rick, Kenzie and I took a 4-wheeler ride to inspect the crops. Then Kenzie and I went to Grampa's Fun Farm, the country nursery not far from here. They have a petting zoo of farm animals. So we saw pigs, chickens, geese, ducks, a peacock, horses, goats and calves. She loved feeding the horses which really reinforced the fact that she would love to have one. Oh, I found an agave and another succulent. They do overwinter well indoors for me as they thrive on neglect. I looked at 'Hot Papaya' again but didn't pick it up.

This evening was a birthday party for Rick's 3 year old granddaughter. So it was a full day.

'bug, I like the simplicity of the round shape of the Reed Garden. The pictures of the kids enjoying vacation are wonderful and bring back some special memories for me. Vacations were every year when I was growing up so I was determined to give my kids a yearly vacation. We maybe didn't always go far or spend a lot but we had fun.

Cyn, I think spending time with your DS is a wonderful way to spend a Saturday. I'm envious.

Cindy, Stella is just as sweet as can be. She'll keep you on your toes for sure.

I'm thinking that the way we tour Glacier will be much differnt than 'bug's DS way.

All my grocery shopping and running errands is done on my way home from work, but when we went to the Fun Farm today we kept our gardening clothes on. They are used to me there.

Michelle

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Great vacation pictures, GB! It looks like a good time.

What a nice time Kenzie had yesterday, Michelle. Don't you have room for a horse? lol! Sarah went through that phase, too.

Cindy, Stella looks sweet as can be. You must be having a blast.

Speaking of pets, thanks for the advice, GB. My husband had said he'd prefer not to have another cat, so I thought maybe outdoor rabbits might be fun. I could use the compost materials, no? Of course my husband has flip flopped and is now considering a cat. SunnyD thinks we should get a dove cote, lol. I think I'm ready to be pet free for a while...

I am headed up north for 2 weeks of vacation. I don't think I recall us taking 2 weeks since we've had children. I am a little worried about my plants - especially after Michelle's forecast. I have a friend from high school who might drive up and meet us for a weekend. That would be fun.

All right....time to finish the last bits of packing and get this show on the road. I am going to have to photo our vehicle and will share later...my husband has outdone himself with packing this year :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is wet out there this morning. I think I'll put on my yukky garden attire anyway and try to continue the weeding I began yesterday. I wore those sweat pants yesterday too when I took some lady's mantle and Tradescantia over to a friend's house. I wonder where the tear in the left leg came from? There is definitely mud on the seat of those pants... Of course they invited us for dinner as well. Mom is rolling in her grave I'm sure.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

'bug, I am grinning like a fool at your pics of Ivy and Skyler. They are both growing at leaps and bounds in their explorations and discoveries. Must be so wonderful to watch from close-up. I am loving it from afar! That picture of Skyler looks like something right out of Huck Finn. Reed's garden is lovely. It has such a soft, gentle, ephemeral quality to it. Switching gears, it is beginning to sound as if there may be more of us who are relaxed enough to venture out wearing our garden badges of honor proudly-well, maybe not proudly, but with only a modicum of embarrassment! I'll bet dinner was fun. Oh, and that zucchini-wow.

Saucy, I'll bet the packed car is something to see. Can't wait for updates on the trip. Hope it is a fantastic vacation for you with lots of rain at home, but not where you are!

Michelle, it was wonderful to spend all that time with DS. Sounds as though your Saturday was great, too.

Need more Stell-aaa pics, Cindy!

Time to get ready to head to the Apple store-the new Macbook isn't charging any more. Took it in last night (yep-that's what we old folks did for excitement on a Saturday night-lol), but they were so busy at their "Genius Desk" that we had to make an appointment for today. It is a fun place to go. All those kids working there really do seem like geniuses to us and they certainly seem happy. They are all quite patient with us, too.

Sunday smiles for everyone. Wishing for you all the same perfect summer day we are having-makes two in a row!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I weeded and got muddy, soaked and sticky. After over an hour of that I got cleaned up, ate some breakfast and went out with DH to buy him shoes and underwear. I bought some groceries- fresh corn, bread, milk, fruit. We also stopped at the nursery to pick up my free $20 bonus for getting their card signed 12 times. I chose a new Ligularia and some garden stakes.

Some more favorites:
    {{gwi:169428}}

{{gwi:169432}}

{{gwi:169433}}

{{gwi:169436}}

{{gwi:169438}}

{{gwi:169441}}

Made friends with Fred Penner, whose music my kids were raised with.
    {{gwi:169443}}

{{gwi:169445}}

{{gwi:169446}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

AW-those last two are the best!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

I agree - the last two are the best. Being a big brother again is probably good for Skyler - and Ivy and ?.

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

I think they are all pretty special. Does my heart good to see these Bug. Ivy is a cutie and Skylar is a good big brother.

The special moments thread has great pictures too.

My moment came this morning. Our youngest grandaughter who just turned 21 last week has been very sick in the hospital since thursday. They treated her for viral colitis with no success, so this morning they did a colonoscopy and found she has ulcerative colitis. not a good diagnosis as it is thought to be auto immune and a lifelong thing, but at least it is not cancer. She has been so sick an unable to keep clear liquids down. I am worn out with worry. With meds she should be sympton free most of the time but with occasional flareups. What a bummer so early in life.

I spent the morning watering as it was neglegted for a few days and things were looking pretty sad.

Michelle Kenzie must love being at the farm. I think horses are a lot of little girls dreams. I am so glad I got to realise mine, although not until I had a little girl of my own. LOL

Eden I love Kates picture at the zoo.

Cindy, keep the Stella pictures coming. Nothing cuter than a puppy, unless it is a kitty or a baby or a little kid and so on.

I'm ready for some cooler weather.

Wyatt is here and getting restless so I guess I'll go do something with him.

Hope Saucy is having a fun vacation and Michelle yours sounds great too.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Oh dear Norma, how scary for you and your family will your GD need to restrict her diet as well as taking the meds ? I feel badly for those who have to deal with chronic illnesses, but as you say , at least its not cancer. ((Norma))

bug it looks like the gang had a splendid time in beautiful surroundings. I love the shot of the family together in front of the Artic Circle marker.

I did the grocery thing today and putzed around with laundry , and hose hauling. Off to Chicago on Wednesday so trying to set things up so DS will only have to deal with the containers. Ill only be gone a few days in any case.

The quote came in from my concrete guy and it looks like it will be do-able. Its a little higher than my number , but I had in mind 1 phase of a 2 year project and he quoted me for the whole thing, including the building of a new section of fence. Im hoping he can do it in October- only one business trip that month . Yay ! This will give me a couple hundred square feet of new garden space !

Lol Michelle, I expect theyre used to me at Whole Foods too, not to mention the local garden center-though most customers there look a little rugged anyway unless you hit it the same time as the after church crowd .

All right Idylls, enjoy your Sunday evening

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Norma, sorry to hear about your granddaughter. Hopefully, medication will control it without cramping her lifestyle too much.

Kathy, the news from the contractor sounds like overall a better deal than what you thought - how fun to gain the extra space. Oh, the possibilities.

'bug, it looks like a fabulous vacation for all.

It was beastly hot and humid today. We are having a thunderstorm now. of course Kenzie wanted to be outdoors. The last time she was here we had a campfire. This silly grandma didn't have the makings for s'mores. So I told her we could do it today. Rick stayed indoors. Picture this 95 degrees and we are sitting around a tiny fire roasting marshmallows. What I won't do for that child. It was so hot that by the time she wanted to use the last piece of chocolate it was nearly liquid. She and I both were a chocolate mess.

Rick just brought me a big piece of watermelon. That along with the sweet corn that we had for lunch really says summer to me.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Norma...That is so unfair! That isn't exactly the kind of special moment we had in mind you know. I'm sure over time she'll take all this in stride, but for now, IT STINKS.

Good news from your contractor Kathy. I certainly hope he can stay withing budget. It certainly sounds exciting. Back when I was a city dweller I always wished that somehow everything could be just one yard wider. I was convinced that just a bit more space would be true happiness. Now you can tell me the answer!!! (I'm hoping our furnace estimate comes close to expectations too.)

So Michelle, I guess Kenzie isn't going on holidays with you? That would be fun in a way too. Please take your camera with you. I'm sure she'd enjoy post cards from your various destinations. I guess she's young for collecting stamps.

Our summer dinner was steak, corn on the cob and fresh garden tomatoes. We also had a dessert that was chocolate and whipped cream stuff (hard to explain). I'm glad I didn't need to roast anything over a fire though!

I've been working on my knitting project and think it should be completed soon. There are many more projects waiting to be started.

We're going to really miss Saucy here. She's off for a long time. Lucky lady. I hope her garden gets rained upon often...or that Sunny D can stop by frequently! And where are Zeus and Marcy?

And now what do you suppose Brenda is up to tonight? Hmmmm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    'bug

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Well, GB, Zeus is with me and Marcy is living the life of luxury at home (with someone attached to a thumb to come and do her chores). I am connected - after all, reading along here is relaxing and fun and that's what I'm supposed to be doing. SunnyD's family has a house about a mile from ours...we'll meet up for dog walks.

Zeus and I got up and took a walk this morning. Later we will go for our long walk where he can go off leash and hunt for turkeys to disrupt.

Michelle, I think Kenzie probably learned a valuable lesson during her s'more experience. Something along the lines of chocolate melts and fire is best reserved for those cool days, lol. She also learned that her grandmother would do anything for her :) and that's the best lesson of all!

On the menu for this week is a trip to Peak Island to bike around oceanside. I'll include a link. I would like to try to find a good river to go kayaking on...I do enjoy floating down the river :)

((Norma))I see lots of people with colitis on the gluten free boards that I read. I do hope that she feels better soon and that the doctors can help her get it under control. You're right, it's not fair to be so young and have to deal with such a condition.

Saucy

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Wow...I know what it feels like to think you killed Idyll, lol!

I saw 4 loons together today...last year I saw my first loon ever and today I see 4. Count myself lucky.

I'll include a link to the video...not great, but if you're interested, click.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We saw lots of loons in Algonquin Park. They used to ask people to take part in surveys each year for loon counts. They are wonderful birds and VERY photogenic. They give photo workshops for loons as well as moose and other animals.

Ultra muggy day here. I did a bit of edging by the barn before the rains came. Drizzle was on and off all day. So I was forced to do laundry and knitting.

I hope to get more weeding accomplished tomorrow, which is supposed to be a dry day. Let's hope!

Giant beaver and friend:
    {{gwi:169447}}

Off to edit one of DH's masterpieces...
    'bug

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

I tried to post this morning but the connection went bad and I lost it.
    We went to visit Callee at the hospital this afternoon. She didn't have to have any morphine today and got to eat something besides "freakin jello". Her and papa were giving each other trouble so I guess she is on the mend for now. Hopefully will get results of her tests tomorrow and be home soon.

We took Wyatt home this morning and went for a jet boat ride on the river in his dads new used boat. It felt good to have the wind in my face and be carefree for a little while.

The heat and dry is back in force, so gardening is not going to be fun this week. Probably will be lucky to keep the containers and ghetto plants watered. I have zero energy right now.

Saucy keep us entertained with vacation pics. Michelle too, and Bug post as many as you want. All of these trips are interesting to me.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Isnt it great that we get to go on vacation with our imaginary friends ? My trip to Oregon is coming up next week how did that happen ?? Im also taking my camera to Chicago on Wednesday with the sole purpose of more photos of the Lurie garden and the fabu plantings along Michigan Ave.

Norma, encouraging news from your household, and so glad you got to spend some time on a boat too.

Cooking some sweet corn tonight and opening the staging area for packing laundry is done thank goodness.

Im heading over to visit Michelles garden tour

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    13 years ago

Good evening, idylls. I'm going to try and squeeze in a post before the eyelids crash. The 4:00 am thunderstorm cost me my last hour of sleep this morning.

I visited someone on Saturday who called this "The Lost Summer" and I think I agree with him. The heat, humidity, heavy rain and plentiful mosquitoes have made outdoor work downright miserable. Even by "work clothes" standards, my garden clothes are trash by the end of one day. OK, so maybe I really threw my jeans in the trash Saturday instead of washing them, but as someone else suggested, the rips are now just big enough that I don't want to chance running an errand while wearing them.

Anyway, I keep looking at the gardens and now find myself thinking, maybe next year! I do need to get an updated pic of the green roof as that is doing quite well.

Vacation has come and gone. We had a nice time, although it was a bit more hectic/more work with so many family members at the cabin at once.

Things on the awfice front are just that. A new round of pay cuts have been announced and overall morale is at rock bottom. One coworker just up and walked out of the office today in late afternoon, announcing that she was making more money when she was in high school and if she didn't leave it would get ugly. Wonder if we'll see her tomorrow? I guess since I was only making $1.25 an hour in high school, I still have a ways to go!

Great reading and great photos on this thread. I enjoyed all the grandchildren, and was very impressed by Woody's tutuer.

My coach is about to turn into a pumpkin. Oh yes, speaking of pumpkins I have an enormous vine with four or five good-sized pumpkins growing - on my compost pile, where I dumped my pumpkins last year! Makes me smile every time I see it!!! G'nite,

V.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK Norma, here goes!

We have a reader already. In Whitehorse Ivy decided to read to DSIL about Yukon Wild flowers (babababababa, turn page, babababababa, turn page, babababbaba)
    {{gwi:169448}}

There was lots of driving. Lets read in the car says Skyler. Ivy's book was the Alaska guide. She LOVED it and would flip through it for hours on end!
    {{gwi:169449}}

She "needed" a polar bear license plate.
    {{gwi:169450}}

And here they are at 1AM...in the land of the midnight sun...looking down from a fire watch tower.
    {{gwi:169451}}

DSIL tried to capture the mood, but was disappointed.
    {{gwi:169452}}

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Morning Idylls,

We had a terrific time last evening. Michelle Gervais from Fine Gardening and a friend came up for a garden tour and dinner. I just love being with fellow plant addicts. Most peoples eye glaze over when you talk about "Persicaria polymorpha" or "Agastache Golden Jubilee". We happily sipped wine and chatted away. Doug was our grilling guru and produced perfectly grilled chicken tenders and summer squash. Id made a tossed salad and potato and egg salad earlier in the day so we had a lovely summery dinner. The only unhappy event of the evening happened when I went into the front bushes to find a plant tag and got a nasty spider bite on my left cheek and Im not talking about my face! OUCH!

Bug great pics of Ivy and family! What fun! They look like theyre having a terrific vacation.

V. so sorry for the continued job woes. Not fun working in an environment where folks are so depressed. ~~ I like the term The Lost Summer. Here Im calling it the "Summer from Hell" because its just been too darned hot with essentially no rain. Ive said it before but I just cant get over the perennials blooming this early. It amazes me to see the Chelone and Tricyrtis in full bloom in the beginning of August. September will be very quiet in the borders. ~~ I love pumpkin vines on the compost pile! They really grow well there for some reason, LOL

Norma, so very sorry about your granddaughter. What a bummer to have such a terrible medical condition at her age, let alone at any age. Glad to hear shes improving.

Kathy, safe travels and bring us back lots of pics please.

Saucy, it sounds like you are having a great vacation! How fantastic about the loons! Very cool!

Michelle, I cracked up over you making smores over a fire in this weather for Kenzie. I guess thats what grandmas are for. ~~~ Have a fantastic vacation! Cant wait to hear about it and see your pics. Its a beautiful place.

Cindy, that Stella is a doll!!!! Such a sweetie. Cant wait to meet her in person.

Ive had lots of hummingbirds here this summer and its such a treat to watch them zipping around. This photo is of a juvenile male Ruby-throated
    {{gwi:169453}}

Have a great day everyone!
    Deanne

• jak1
    13 years ago

I made a Saucy leaf!!! Well, no, let me put this another way: inspired by Saucy, I have made a cement casting of an elephant ear leaf. Far from perfect, but still exciting enough to encourage me to keep trying. Given our harsh winters, I think I will cast the leaves until fall and then do painting and finishing in the basement during the winter. Wow, a new hobby!! Thanks Saucy, I may be calling you for much needed advice!

Ha ha, I had to laugh at the discussion of garden clothes. Since that is all that I have, my sometimes snooty neighbours have had to get used to the lower property values caused by my wardrobe. The fact that I have a great front garden compensates...

Sounds like you are going to be a busy girl Kathy, with a new garden to contemplate. Lucky you!

Love the photos, Bug! What a happy time for them. And what a great experience for Skyler, the land of the Midnight sun!

Not much gardening here the last three days. We have rain, rain, rain. Our whole summer's worth at once. The lost summer indeed.

Sounds like you had a wonderful evening Deanne....espeically with some one else doing the cooking *LOL*

Lousy work conditions abound it seems. ((hugs)) to all who need them.

Running off now to take DGS to the doctor, renew ADD meds before school starts and get the ruptured ear drum checked. We are considering changing schools for him - his last two years were miserable in his current school. There has to be something better....

Cheers,

Julie

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

We had an inch of rain this morning early. Unbelievable since we just got 1.3" on Sunday evening. We are very fortunate in our area not to have to deal with the flooding, but much of the surrounding areas
    are.

Julie, congrats on the leaf casting. The process isnt rocket science but to get them done well and the painting is where Saucy has excelled. With practice Im sure yours will be wonderful. The ones Ive done are far from great and I dont have a lot of time to work on them, but people who see them are impressed.

Deanne, extraordinary shot of the baby hummer! Great salvia as well which one is it? Hobnobbing with FG editors maybe another photo shoot is in the works. Regardless, what fun to talk with other gardeners.

V, welcome back! I have several vines growing in my compost this year. One is gourds and the other is to be determined. I mentioned to Rick how lovely the pile looks and maybe we shouldnt turn it this year. There are also a number of flowers that have seeded in there. Sorry to hear that things are so tense at work.

Norma, it sounds like Callee is feeling better spunkiness is a good sign.

Saucy, Peak Island would be my kind of vacation spot. We have loons that spend the night on our pond during migration.

bug, Kenzie will be camping with us over Labor Day weekend along with my parents, siblings and their families. That beaver is fantastic! What a great family vacation.

Later
    Michelle

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Saucy, love those loons. Peak Island looks wonderful. We really do need to plan a summer trip north next year or the year after.

'bug, Skyler is looking so happy in these latest pictures (love the 1 am shot)-like a completely different little boy and what a terrific big brother! Ivy is, as always, completely enchanting.

((Norma)) Glad Callee is feeling a little feisty. It is so hard to have one of your kids or grands go through something like that. Sending good thoughts her (and your) way.

Julie, congrats on the leaf project! I have been tempted to try my hand, but never seem to get around to actually assembling the materials. Let's see a picture-I need inspiration! Of course, if yours are half as nice as Saucy's, I may be too intimidated!

Michelle, send some of that rain east...pleeeeze.

V, I am so sorry about the awful awfice stuff. No one needs a pay cut these days!

Deanne, hope there wasn't too much swelling around the spider bite-teehee. Your summer dinner sounds delightful and I do love your hummingbird pics. Lots of talent there, lady!

Kathy, where has the summer gone? Hope the trip to Oregon is lovely. That is one place I'd love to go. Don't think I'd object to living there, either!

Time to cook the steaks.

Hope everyone's evening is relaxing and tranquil.

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Nice Hummer shot Deanne. How nice to spend an evening with gardening friends. Looking forward to seeing what you gals cooked up.

We had a brief thundershower. It figures since they were getting hay out of our fields.

I stayed in this afternoon and did a couple loads of laundry and paid some bills. Also took a short nap, which I usually do in the hammock but it was 102 on the back porch so I opted for the air inside.
    I think another hot day tomorrow and then just a tad better.
    My Sweet Autumn Clematis is about to start blooming.
    Seems early for that.

Cyn steak sounds good.

Norma

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A really hot and humid day again here Norma. I was only able to do a bit of gardening after dinner tonight. I cleaned up the patch of mini Lady's Mantle under our crabapple tree. The awful Creeping Charlie was a mess there and the tree had lots of suckers. Looks fine now, one of those jobs you'd never know was done if you didn't see it before. Tomorrow is supposed to be around 82, but more like 95 with the humidity.

DD is off in Fort McMurray for two nights on business. This is a first for Ivy. I think she and DSIL will do fine. She'll have her regular day care in the day time and she enjoys that.

Time to unwind here, maybe read Fine Gardening.
    'bug

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

Well I woke up and it had rained overnight! What a gift rain is when youve not had any for a long time. I think we probably got a half inch or so, enough so I wont have to water the lawn today, just the pots. The temps have dropped back into the 80s so that is a major relief as well. Yesterday was 93 with about 90% humidity it seemed, just nasty hot. Have I mentioned that Im really sick and tired of gardening in the heat this summer? Hopefully the drop in temps will help the fuchsias. Many of them have been doing poorly this summer because they just dont like it this hot. The plants either dont set buds or the buds drop or fail to open. A few are up to the challenge of the weather including this fantastic Jack Shahan
    {{gwi:169454}}

Michelle, that salvia is Wendys Wish new to me this year but one I dont want to be without in the future. Love the color of this one and the Hummingbirds love it as well. ~~ Sounds like you are going to have a great Labor Day weekend with family! ~~ Its hard to believe that your area is dealing with so much rain and flooding and weve been so dry here.

LOL Cyn, my butt is already swollen enough I didnt need any more swelling but the site of the spider bite is indeed swollen and itchy as heck. I just have to be careful not to scratch in public!

Norma, holy cow, 102!!!!! I guess I shouldnt be complaining about our mid 90s. Yes, that seems early for Sweet Autumn vine to be blooming. I noticed that mine is also setting buds here.

Bug, how mini is that Ladys Mantle? Ive not heard of a dwarf variety.

Julie, how terrific about making a cement leaf casting. Would love to see pics?

The brugs are really starting to grow like weeds and my white one is absolutely smothered with flowers. What a treat.
    {{gwi:169455}}

Have a great day everyone
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Holy moly - that brug is amazing w/ the number of buds on it Deanne!! I bet the aroma is amazing too.

Here, trying to get into the new "routine" LOL -- Stella survived her first day of long alone time -- she's gonna have to take up modelling I think to pay for her walker fees.... but I know she'll benefit from it -- it breaks it up at least. Poor Chloe - I was too poor to attempt to afford.... One forgets the antics of a a puppy tho... I know all you folks w/ newer ones are rolling their eyes now at me... I was exhausted by 9 pm last nite after a couple hours of entertaining her and playing and running around.... she's still not much interested in her food tho. I had to tape a couple of electric outlets as she seems disposed to want to lick them.... til I get to a store again for more puppy/toddler proofing supplies -- outlet covers - I guess this is a trial run for a new toddler event too eventually, LOL. I've had puppy runs at least one a day to go get something I hadn't thought of before....

Great to see lots of vacation photos - mine was the IU this year - it seems so far away now!

Cant wait to see some more - and Kathy's trip to Chicago and then Oregon - I'm green w/ envy that you will see Joy Creek in person..... one of these days.

Norma - I'm glad to hear your GD is feeling a bit better - I'm glad to hear they figured it out, serious as it is - at least she has the diagnosis and can go from there with it -- young adults do seem to adapt amazingly well.

Rain... what does that look like? I think we were almost 100 yesterday and today feels the same..... things are burnt and drooping.

V -- nice to see you check in -- I like that phrase The Lost Summer too - because I dont much feel like I've done most of the things I normally do in a summer - tooo danged hot and miserable.... and o my the metro... more steam heat... Last nite was another horrible hot train - I moved thru 3 cars - all as bad as the one before ... so then you try to endure -- the thought kept entering my mind - I think I'm gonna lose it... and be arrested for erupting...

That makes at least 2 folks who walked out at your company just like that, doesnt it, V? It's weird how folks are doing that so much these days... thinking wacko Flite JetBlue attendants, here. I do commiserate with them, but one has to pay bills too... suck it up, right? I've been working on my sucking skills this year.

Well, not sure if I'll be able to check in or take any photos this week... lots to do and no routine yet.....

-cindy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well Cindy, I'm sure your baby changes daily. I hope you find a few minutes to take Stella's portrait. You'll be sorry not to have a record of her puppy days! (Don't really want to make you feel guilty, I'm just being selfish because it would be fun for me to see them!)

Deanne, I took a few photos for you. I'm sorry I don't have the actual name for this Lady's Mantle but I've had it for years now. The leaves are smaller and darker than the regular variety.
    Here is the smaller type:
    {{gwi:169456}}

{{gwi:169457}}

This is the regular version:
    {{gwi:169458}}

You can see where creeping Charlie is similar.

I worked hard on the barn garden this morning before breakfast.
    {{gwi:169459}}

I deadheaded some roses and weeded by the dining room window garden too. Barely made a dent there. It is hot for that sort of work, but at least the humidity is better. I collected beets for our dinner too. I'll roast them with olive oil later on.

Back to mowing.
    'bug

• flowerluvr
    13 years ago

Oh, my! This Idyll (and my week of solitude) are slipping away from me! Just a quick post before I forget a couple of things.

Bug, the picture of Skyler hanging from a log made me grin from ear to ear. It's so good to see him let go and have a good time. The pictures are all wonderful and the one of he and Ivy sleeping is just precious!

Aw, Norma-so not fair for your granddaughter :( I hope meds keep things under control.

As for the tattered gardening clothes..oh, yeah-I've got them, too. I have to make the call to throw things away for Jim. It depends on location and/or how many holes. I am not exaggerating when I say that he was actually going to go to the fertilizer plant in crotchless jeans one day. Said no one would notice. Someone has to draw that line in the sand, lol! And, once in a while it's nice to see him in "whole" clothes. He tends to dress every day as if he's "gardening" ;)
    The housecleaning/inventory reduction project is going well. I'm going through room by room and doing it up right. I've pretty much decided to wait until next week to go skydiving. From now through Saturday, they're forecast for chances of thunderstorms every day. It would be too frustrating to be stuck on the ground over there when I could be getting stuff done here. So, I'll be a good grownup and do my work before I go out and play. Besides, Monday is supposed to be really nice here. I'd hate to be too sore/tired to get out and do something in the yard. "The lost summer" sums it up for sure.

Okay, back to work. If I sit too long...well, you know how it goes!
    Waving cheerily to all as she goes back to work, Cinderella signing off...
    Brenda

• saucydog
    13 years ago

{{gwi:169460}}

It was a beautiful sunset to end a gorgeous day. Nick and I took the boat over to Frye Island and had dinner and an ice cream and then we drove the boat to the spot where the loons are and watched the sunset with them. I got some really poor shots of the loons and the sunset :)

Deanne, I don't know how you get that brug to perform! Wow! Your place is loving this heat, I see. I fear my garden looks tired.

I was thinking of Martie lately and wonder how she is. I have a begonia that she gave me a cutting of, and it is doing well.

Brenda, I thought of your husband on the boat today...actually while I was swimming. LOL, I wondered if my freshly painted toenails might look like fishing lures, and wondered if Jim might be trying something similar :)

Have a good night all....tomorrow is kayaking for us, a 7 mile trip. It's supposed to take 3-5 hours.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Saucy, we had a beautiful sunrise this morning...but your sunset is just wonderful! Dinner & ice cream on the island sounds perfect.

Our friend keeps his kayak in our barn, but this evening around 5 he collected it to do some exploring. Phoebe wanted to join him but she'd be no help at all. She doesn't even go in the water. Charlotte did. All she does is drink water. Actually she likes ice cubes too!

Planted a couple of plants after dinner, which required moving other plants around. Musical plants time.

Tomorrow:
    Cloudy with sunny periods and 30 percent chance of showers. High 27. (About 81F) But we are off to the dentist. After that we are taking a whole bunch of old paint cans to the town of Guelph dump. If time, I'll renew my driver's license too. Exciting you think? (No....)

Sweet dreams,
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

In Chicago,past my bedtime ..waving at V !

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Deanne, if that is an unhappy fuschia, I can't imagine what yours are like when they are happy! Wow.

Kathy, how are things in that toddlin' town? I have never spent any time there, but hear it is a grand city.

'bug, our dogs like ice cubes, too. Annabelle crunches them and eats them. Clouseau is not quite so sure what he is supposed to do with them, so he takes them and then drops them. The monster pup actually fishes them out of the water dish with his paw and then plays with them.

Norma, don't you love taking naps! It feels so indulgent to me, which is lovely!

Saucy, sounds like your vacation is turning out exactly as a vacation should. Lucky us that we get to enjoy it, too!

Cindy, sounds like life is full(!) of fun these days. Stella must be so much fun. I know John's puppy keeps me laughing and I suspect Stella does the same for you. Waiting for more pics.

We had a thunderstorm this morning. Not enough rain, but at least we did get some.

DH is home from his meeting. He has been doing great, but I need to talk him into buying himself a computer-he has appropriated my new Macbook and I am stuck with this stupid one from school.

Lost summer is right. Oh and where are the lost Idylls these days? Missing you!

Later, all.

• denisez10
    13 years ago

I'm going to finish out this thread with a welcoming wave from Ein to Stella. Cataract surgery went well and now it's just keeping up with his meds and helping him get "unstuck" out of tight quarters. Just six more weeks...

{{gwi:169461}}

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Awwww.... poor Ein! the 'Cone of Shame'.... Glad to hear the surgery went well.

D

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I prefer the term "Victorian Collar".

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional