Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marian_2

Idyll# 276 - A Country Bumpkin Idyll

Marian_2
17 years ago

Hi guys, I just couldn't wait for a new thread.

Comments (102)

• taryn
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Michelle, I certainly hope so! No, I have tons of packing to do, but most of the breakable fiddly stuff is packed.

Thanks all for your continued support. We made the local paper yesterday, see link below. I just emailed it and my photos to our city Councellor, squeak, squeak, squeak...They are predicting thunderstorms tomorrow and I'm very nervous about that.

It is sooooo unbearably hot! I had to go out and get two futons (great deal, $100CAD for doubles) and the freon in the Aerostar is gone. The guy loaded them in for me, and they can stay there until we move now, but I'm still melting. It is 36C right now, 97F, but with the humidity it feels like 46C or 115F. I'm not leaving the house again until we step into the air conditioned Kia to go see the new place one last time.

The cats have the right idea! Note the can of cat deterrent on the trunk, lol, works great! NOT! If they claw our new couch they're going to be violin strings, lol!

{{gwi:147363}}

Stay cool everyone...

Taryn

• just_t
    17 years ago

Oh heavens the Idylls have either melted or evaporated!!! I hope everyone has been able to keep relatively comfortable during these horribly hot & humid days. I watched the news tonight and it looks like most of the country is baking.

Drema, I hope your son is feeling okay and not too sore after his accident.

Michelle, I hope you got enough rain to wet things down nicely.

Ei, hope your mother continues to improve.

DD had her appointment to monitor the babies this morning. They are looking for 3 movements, by each baby, within a 15 minute time frame. Both babies seem to be doing fine. She has been having some increased back pain since last night but no contractions so far as I know. When we were there on Sunday, she stood for about 4 or 5 minutes and her feet turned a dark purple....the babies' weight is impeding her circulation when she stands so she is spending more time reclining on the sofa with pillows supporting her belly. Poor thing! She'll see the doctor on Thursday so we'll know more after that appointment.

Deanne, glad you made it home safely. Sorry about the car repairs & the state of your gardens......that is the way life seems to go, isn't it?

Sue, I saved your note about wishing you had more shrubs in your garden (that isn't exactly what you said--but I'm too lazy to go look it up). I will need to sit down this fall & winter to draw up what plants I'd like to get as my first purchases come spring. It seems like it will be an overwhelming task....I look forward to it and also dread it.

Well, guess that is it from here...I uploaded some photos to share re: Country Bumpkins but haven't had the energy to write up a story to go with them. Perhaps tomorrow...

Take care....stay as cool as possible.

T.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all, jeesh, I got home and everyone went away. What's with that?

I think I'm melting, it is 87.6 degrees out at 8:30AM. The temps are supposed to get up to 102 this afternoon. I spend a good deal of the day yesterday keeping things watered and did the lawn after dark last night to cut down on evaporation. Hopefully it will keep stuff from cooking too badly.

MJ's DS did a fantastic job of keeping things watered here and I'm so pleased that all the containers are looking good even though it was in the 90's last week. It is just the borders that are in a mess. I did a small amount of deadheading yesterday but at 99 degrees out I couldn't stay out too long. I'm feeling like I should do a Sue and just start chopping stuff out and replacing with things that don't need so much maintenance. LOL There is something not quite right with having a garden that I can't get away from for a week.

T. glad to hear the babies are doing fine but boy do I ever feel bad for your DD!!!! I was preggers in the summer and it wasn't one little bit fun and I didn't carry twins. I sure hope she delivers soon and that all goes well.

Taryn, lol about the kitties. Mine are doing the same thing although I'm having a bit of a hard time getting Luke in the house even though it is so darned hot. As soon as he gets in the house he thinks its cooled off so he should be going back out. They do the same in the winter and when it's raining.

Michelle, so glad to hear you are getting some rain. The only problem with scheduling the CA seminars in the winter is that half the students are school teachers and they only can take a four day class in the sumer time so I'm stuck with the summer seminars. ~~ I'm tempted not to go again next year but it is a nice chunk of change and pays for my trips to the nurseries. The old if you want to play you have to pay thing. LOL ~~ Oh yes, I feel your pain about Rick's root canal. I've got to have another crown put on next month and that is going to be another grand out the door. Arrrgghh!!!!

OK I've got to finish watering the containers in the back yard and get to the gym. Here is a bit of color for the day. This is one of those hay racks I've got on the fence. You can't even see the fence anymore. What a kick! I wish everything looked as good as this does.
    {{gwi:169660}}

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Not too comfortable here, Teresa! But better is in the forecast...:-)

Here is a link in keeping with the title of this Idyll:

• just_t
    17 years ago

uh oh......the Idylls seems to be broken. :o/

• just_t
    17 years ago

Oh good.....not broken after all! ;o)

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, I have been 'working' with my camera and the uploader. Here is all I can come up with...:-)

{{gwi:169661}}

{{gwi:169662}}

{{gwi:169663}}

{{gwi:169665}}

These have escaped the drought and varmints!

Marian

• just_t
    17 years ago

Wow Marian, what lush and lovely containers you have on your deck. This new camera does nice, clear photos! It is fun to see your plantings!

T.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Greetings, (((((sad Idyller's))) and pass the lemonade! It's literally feet-scorching on the grass here .....

Decided to take this week completely and totally off for vacation and have enjoyed a few early hours each morning in the gardens. Rest of the time has been spent reading and designing. Then remembered IU3 just happened and snuck a peek at the pics. How Much Fun Can One Group Have!!! Just looking brought happiness and relaxation.

I've managed to keep up with everyone's major events. Here's hoping that you all know I think of everyone often, and miss the daily comradery.

Life is getting a bit more balanced, but I'm still doing at least 1,000 miles a week for work. It's draining but the people I'm meeting make it all worthwhile. Who can complain about working where people come to spend vacation time? Where country bumpkins reign and reinforce my belief that anyone who can keep a business open in rural counties is just plain smart? Where you go into a store once and they remember how you like your coffee the next time? Where even though I wear business clothes they see through the shell and accept me as a part of their economic community? I'm so grateful.

Enough waxing philosophic .....

The gardens are growing gangbusters with a bit of supplemental watering. Some of the blank spaces are beginning to fill in, and annuals have helped decide what perennials will/should go into certain spots. Still considering two focal areas that need something substantial, and will post pics looking for help when a camera is available. (The replacement one was dropped into a drainage ditch at Rich's jobsite. He is no longer allowed to use a digital :-)

Being one of the "new kids" in this group on a now sporadic basis and feeling absolutely welcome anytime just reinforces what Sue said about this group. ANYONE OF YOU would be welcome at my house anytime, as long as you're willing to take a garden walk and recommend, recommend, recommend :-)

Best to everybody in Idyllland ....

Martie

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We ended up with a total of 3.2" of rain. Some did come with a fair amount of wind, so hopefully the corn isnt leaning. Then the wind died and it kept raining so I think that things did get a good soaking. The ground was so dry that Im sure it soaked like a sponge. We had inch wide cracks in the ground.
    Things are supposed to cool down for a bit here which is good news for our weekend camping trip. Although, yesterdays predicted high of 80 ended up to be 91.

T, your poor DD. Hopefully, it will be soon.

Marian, cute link about dirt roads. Probably quite true. Fantastic pictures of your deck garden.

Taryn, what a lovely sofa. I like the lounger at the one end. That would be my spot.

Deanne, I felt the same about my garden after I got back from IU3, but was surprised what a little weeding and deadheading did for it. Your hayrack is stunning. I really cant see that it is a hayrack, it looks like a full garden. I always have a hard time photographing my containers to show how they really look.

Martie, great to hear from you. We miss you. It sounds like you are having a relaxing week, how nice.

Later
    Michelle

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

T- those babies are going to be here soon! I bet your daughter (and everyone else) can't wait. That is so exciting.

Martie, you sound so happy and relaxed. That's great, the way to be.

Taryn, I love your new sofa..Good deal!

Marian, wow you have some eye popping pictures there! Your containers are beautiful. It is surprising how fast they multiply, isn't it?

Deanne, good to see that you are back in town. Bummer on the $$ for teeth, but we do need them:)

I am going to post this link, or try to. It looks like so much fun...called Flower Camp. I also got an email from TravelZoo talking about a trip to Punta Cana for $499, all inclusive with airfare... I really need to sell another house.....

TTYL
    Drema

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Martie !

Thanks, gals....... I am watching the surprise lilies daily, and expecting them to be all nipped off . Three bit the dust last night. Apparently they are pretty nasty, because they were left laying on the ground...:-(, and :-),( sad because they were nipped, happy because they are nasty!) I have more coming up in differant locations, and they have been untouched so far.

When my "ship comes in" , I want a much larger deck, and a real plant room!

Wow, Michelle! 3.2 inches...what a blessing! There are Burn Ban signs out, along the highway. This is a new thing for this area.

Marian

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

Very big hugs to Marian and Honey for the loss of their close friends. I feel for both of you - losing a friend is never easy at any age. Both yours sounded special people indeed.

Mum arrived yesterday so I might be busy for a while. We're having a fabulous time despite the heat which is due to break tomorrow.

Great sofa Taryn!

Hi Martie!

T - glad the babies are doing well but your DD must be sooooooooooo uncomfy right now.

Welcome back Deanne!

best to all the Idylls

Mary

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

HOT and HUMID here still with power outages. :(

{{gwi:169667}}

Hope everyone is hanging in there!

• taryn
    17 years ago

Hi to all, I'm stalling when I should be packing...

Looks like Charlotte has the right idea too!

Marian great shots--Love all that colour!

Mary enjoy your visit with your Mum.

Deanne, love your colour-shot too! Don't over-exert in the heat trying to get it all up to snuff.

Hiya Martie! Wish you could visit more often, but so glad you pop in when you can...

T, your poor DD! Devin arrived 2 weeks late and I know it was about the longest two weeks of my life! Hope the babies make their appearance soon.

Glad you like the sofa ladies! I'm still tickled we got such a great deal on that! All we need for the new place now is a small tractor or really good riding mower. (And to win the lottery to pay for it, lol!)

Well wish us luck tonight. There is another severe thunderstorm warning! Hoping we stay high and dry this time...

T

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Still 89 F at almost quarter after 8-jeeesh! I went out to water thinking that would be a cool thing to do and couldn't whip through those pots fast enough so I could get back inside. Thanks a bunch, Michelle...lol. It looks like Charlotte has the right idea. After tomorrow it's over-more pleasant summer weather on tap for Friday.

Flower camp...hmmmm...never a shortage of things to do. Drema, I was in Punta Cana about 20 years ago at a Club Med. I remember it being fun but was single at the time. Alot of Caribbean islands can be pretty seedy unless you stay inside the resort but the resorts usually have everything you need.

Wow, Marian, it looks like you've got quite the lush jungle going on your deck. It looks great! The Elephant Ears look happy too. I planted some of the large green ones in the ground this year but they're getting shaded and crowded out by other plants so my plan this weekend is to move them either into more open space(if I can find any) or into a pot. Ei has some doing very well in a pot in full sun.

Welcome back Deanne! It's great that you were able to find a reliable watering hired hand. In this weather I just water to keep things alive.

Mary, enjoy your visit with mum.

Hi Martie! Enjoy your week off. Despite the travel it sounds like you're at least enjoying your job.

So Taryn, it's next week you're moving, right? Get packing! Great score on the sectional.

OK, dinner is almost ready and then I have bills to pay and a desk to clean.

Later,

Sue

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Hello friends! We're back from vacation - had a wonderful if warm time. We kept trying to turn on the ceiling fans, but with no electricity at the cabin, it never seemed to work. ;) And it was so dry there, there were twice-daily helicopter flyovers looking for forest fires. Monday night there was a lightening storm and nineteen small fires started in the district but they were quickly contained. But I never really unpacked my suitcase, you know?

Anyway, lots to catch up on, including laundry, so that's it for now. Later!

V.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all,

Well, it is 82 degrees out at 7:00AM. I thought it was supposed to be cooler out today? Whats with this? There were some terrible storms last night at the coast and Hampton and Rye, NH still have quite a few roads closed from the downed trees and power lines. ~~ Doug has to go to the doctors today and hopefully hell be cleared to get off the crutches and drive again. Were hoping he takes the stitches out too. Doug says his foot feels pretty good this morning and thinks he could get a sneaker on it. Cross your fingers!

Martie!!! Horray, how great to hear from you! I miss your AM posts a lot.

Marian, what a lovely deck you have! It looks like a lush retreat. All your plants are so well tended and look healthy and happy. What a pretty spot. Do you ever sit out there? Those surprise lilies are so nice.

Welcome home V!!! Glad to hear you had a great time. Bummer it was so dry and hot for your vacation.

Sue, where oh where are you going to find room for those colocasioas???? Id like to see a pic of that when you do it. LOL

Bug, great shot of Charlotte. What a smart puppy!

Taryn, that is one great sectional. Good for you! ~~ Hope you made out OK with those thunderstorms.

Mary, how great your Mum is here! You have a terrific visit with her.

Drema, that Flower Camp looks like an interesting thing to do. I wonder if they having anything like that at a good botanical garden? Thanks for the link.

Michelle, here is a pic of that hayrack when I first planted it.
    {{gwi:160284}}

Here are a few of the containers yesterday.
    {{gwi:169669}}

{{gwi:169670}}

Thank you Monique and Les! I bought this 'Billy Greene' fuchsia and put it together with the caladium after seeing their container last year. It looks even better when the pentas is covered with flowers and there is a lisianthus in there as well.
    {{gwi:169671}}
    {{gwi:169672}}

{{gwi:169673}}

OK speaking of containers, Ive got to get them watered so I can take Doug to the Drs office by 8:30AM.

Have a great day all,
    Deannne

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good morning, again! Taking advantage of vaca week to stay in touch with friends.

Yes, I'm enjoying my job very much. Working primarily in the most rural county of Massachusetts definitely has it's perks, but also it's challenges. Next week when I get back we're launching a Martie-designed product for smaller companies who want to participate in TV advertising but can't afford a full schedule. Should be really fun to pitch something that can get folks excited without emptying their wallets.

On the home front, Rich is picking up day jobs here and there, but major renovation appears to be on hold in this area. He's beginning to talk about getting a "regular" job but loses all face color at the same time. He's just not cut out for an authoritative figure watching over his days (except me, of course :-) We'll hang in there as long as we can and hope that the Connecticut political climate and economy stabilizes sometime soon.

DS continues to be a gem and can't wait to get to Osaka. His keeper GF is still in the picture and couldn't be more encouraging to his dreams, and his to hers. Young love ..... What a joy to watch!!

As I said, gardens are filling in and most of the 2nd year perennials will be ready for dividing this fall. The plant designs are essentially done and I won't need to buy much more. Who the heck am I kidding???? LOL

Especially for Deanne and Marian: My coleus and fushia starts are flourishing. I think they know I have help to keep them alive this year. Containers really have come together as well. All winter sowns are growing by leaps and bounds and this week, in the heat, have expanded the seed area substantially.

Also took a major plunge and hired someone to do all the edging of the gardens. Had planned to use that $$ on sales this week but to quote the song "It's Too Darn Hot." Young landscape client does fabu work and he's really slow so it's win/win.

It's such fun to read about everyone's doings. Having been prego in the summer I feel for all "8th month moms" and hope they all have a bucket of ice in which to stick their feet.

Have also moved in the dead of summer and the only good part is the ability to get a way with sandwiches instead of something hot for helpers.

I'm so motivated by the pics and descriptions. The IU3 pics gave me pangs of "I wanna be there!!!!" Maybe some year ...

Hope that vacations are more fun than V's seems to have been, and that everyone stays safe. Check Yourselves for Ticks!!! As a Lyme Disease (twice) person it's worth the few minutes.

All the best -- Martie

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey all.........
    This is what greeted me when I looked out on the deck this morning:
    {{gwi:169674}}
    I had already repotted a few things and set up the empty pot when I took this pic. Will it never end?????
    I have repotted all remaining plants and cleaned up the mess. The caladiums was the one pot that the deer had not nipped off. It was 'coons that attacked them this time.
    AH...the thrill of living in the boondocks!

Deanne, your pots are very lovely. May you never be plagued with 'coons and deer.

Marian

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning Idylls!

Marian, what a heartbreaker that is to wake up to! Darn the wildlife that is so destructive!! Wouldn't it have been fun to have had one of those sprinklers with the electric eye, it would have been triggered by those dastardly coons and blasted them with a burst of cold water!!! :oD I keep thinking of buying one, but they are close to $70 and I've just not convinced myself that it would be a good purchase (expensive and do they really work as a deterent?) Knowing myself and my luck.....I'd be the one getting blasted with a shot of cold water. I can visualize it happening......thus one is not high on my list of things to buy. I am sad that this happened to you. Gardening where there is wildlife isn't for sissies!

DH had a rough day at work yesterday, ended up working over almost 2 hours. He was home, ate dinner, dozed in his chair until deciding to go to bed early (8:15--yep, he was exhausted). At 8:45 the phone rings and I jump to answer it so he isn't woke up. I'm thinking it is one of our daughters phoning......nope, it is his work and they need to talk with him. I wake him, he talks to them and gets up to go back to work to help fix something that broke down. He got back home after 2 this morning. I'm not sure if he will go back to work when he awakens or not. Poor guy....

DD has her doctor's appointment this afternoon, so we'll know a lot more about what is happening or will be happening.

I need another cup of coffee so will say 'bye for now....

Keep cool (if possible) and dry (Taryn!)

Hello to all (and welcome back V!)

T.

• taryn
    17 years ago

You won't believe this. The town we are moving to was hit by a tornado! I have a call in to the agent to see if he, the sellers and our house are okay, but don't know anything right now.

'Bug are you okay? Apparently it hit sections of Guelph too, not far from where 'Bug lives. I've more than had enough of the natural disasters lately. Oh, and we're under a tornado watch here too. Just a little too much excitement for me...

T

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my, Taryn! Our drought and critter woes pale in comparison with that ! I do hope your new house is okay.

Teresa, I have never been a sissy , but 'you' know where my strength comes from. :-)
    If I had cayenne pepper I would sprinkle it around the base of my potted plants,but I don't have any. Maybe I can make a spray with hot pepper sauce?

Where in the world is everyone?????????

Marian

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Things are fine here! Last night we had the most incredible lightning and clouds ever, but no RAIN. Finally buckets of water came down and the air actually moved a bit. We were out of power for about 2 1/2 hours only. This morning it has been about 70F which is heavenly compared to before, but it is still very very humid.

I spent the morning first removing tent caterpillars from a witchhazel, then weeding huge weeds from around my compost heep, then walking the dog, and now scanning photos of DD as a child for the wedding event. I'm trying to only have about 50, but there are about a zillion to choose from. It is very time consuming and I need to retouch and resize them in Photoshop first. For a good cause though!

Lynnflower phoned and will come visit next week so we can plan the wedding flowers. Thank goodness I have a friend who knows what she's doing!

I need to go lose 40 pounds in the next month. LOL...This hasn't been the weather for treadmill use lately.

The garden looks pretty sad, not because of deer thank goodness, but everything is lying flat on the ground: hollyhocks, phlox, etc. The weeds of course are straight and tall!

My fingers are crossed for Taryn!!!

• taryn
    17 years ago

Thanks Marian. Sorry about your pots. Yes, it's quiet here...

Just talked to the agent and the house is fine. Phew! Also called Marie and she had some wicked weather and lost power for a while yesterday, but is fine as well.

Okay, can pack knowing we have somewhere to move now. At least until we have to hide in the basement if a tornado heads this way...

T

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good heavens!!! Thankfully 'bug and Taryn are okay...hopefully Woody is, also. What very odd weather everyone is having this year (or so it seems).

Sunny and clear here today. DH doesn't have to go back into work today so is putting new front brakes on one of our vehicles. I'm staying indoors, waiting for DD to phone with the report on what is happening or is planned. I'm not good at quietly waiting. ;o)

Marian......yep, I know. :oD

Deanne, hope the word from the doctor is what you and Doug are wishing to hear.

'bug, 40# glad you are safe...you sound very busy.

Mary, how wonderful that your mum is there! I know you'll be enjoying your time with her.

Well......DD called......and she's got another appt. on Saturday. Nothing 'expected' to happen between now and then. I could have attended IU3. arugh!

Okay, better go and get some things done around here before it gets too warm to want to do them. (Our temps don't compare to what you are going through -- all of you --but I still wimp out when it gets in the mid 80's).

Take care...
    T.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Its a beautiful day here and I have the day off. Whoo hoo! I am supposed to be getting ready for the camping trip. Rick and I are going to eat out tonight for our 10th anniversary which is today. We will stay at the campground tonight but most won't show up until tomorrow. So I am supposed to have things ready when he gets home from work.

Taryn and 'bug, glad to hear that you are safe and that Taryn's new house is safe as well.

Marian, that is just the pits. Is there any way to keep them off your deck?

Mary, enjoy your time with your mum.

Deanne, each of your containers is just stunning. Billy Greene does look great with the caladium. I did get a few more white caladiums out of the Sam's batch, but they were much slower to surface. Good grief its August and they are just getting going. I probably won't buy them again.

I must get packing.

Have a great weekend.

Michelle

• just_t
    17 years ago

Happy Anniversary Michelle and Rick!!!

{{gwi:169675}}

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

{{gwi:169676}}

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Behind every cloud is a silver lining...Look at what I just captured on a bloom of the Agastache ( Thanks Taryn for the seeds). :-)
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Michelle and Rick....

{{gwi:169677}}

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Well this is MUCH BETTER! Nights below 60F and days in the low 80s. Low humidity and clear sunny skies. I suspect the dampness in the ground will vanish quickly enough, so the only worry is that there is no rain on the horizon for the next week. At least my rain barrels are all full!
    Marian, you have a wonderful deck! I'm trying to think of a way to keep the coons away, but usually we are just one step behind the clever creatures. Here they love to get into the pet rabbit food can. I think we finally solved that one this year. Chipmunks have gotten into my plant containers and wow, are they destructive too!

So nice to have you on vacation Marty and hear your updates!

Deanne, I imagine you are catching up on the home front still. It is amazing how hard it is to get away for a week and then to return to clean up the pieces! Your containers are looking magnificent at this time, so filled out! I hope Doug is managing well now. At least he takes it all "in stride" (pun intended).

Boy Taryn, am I glad that things are progressing OK with the house! So glad you are arraging the insurance on the new place NOW! Looks like the kids will be able to play outside this week at least! Hope Glenn is recovering. The trouble with backs is they take so long to recover and then the smallest thing can cause a setback.

Well last night DH helped me organize DD's photos of her youth and so they are now all sent off to Alberta for the kids to deal with. I tried to keep it down (under 2000 LOL) but still ended up with about 80 photos. There would have been more if I could locate them!

This house is a disaster, so now that the heat wave has ended I'd best get some of it cleaned up and at least livable!

Have a great Friday!
    'bug

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope everyone is little cooler today...looks like the heat wave is making its way out for most of us. We will be in the upper 80's this week-end, but that's sort of normal for August and it will be cooler next week.

Anyway, Mom came home Wednesday and I've been staying at DS's house to help out. DS will be going back to work next week and I was hoping to have mom stay here, but the beds are too high here and she couldn't get herself up on them w/o causing pain in her ribs, so she wants to sleep in her own bed. Anyway, next week I will be there for the week, so I don't know how much I'll be able to peek in here. The computer is still acting up, but as it turned out, part of the problem *was* my server...the box had gone bad. A new computer will be in the future.

Deanne, your pots are stunning! I love all your color combinations and that fuchsia/caladium/pentas combo is just gorgeous! My two hayrack containers have gone kaput with the heat, but thats okay I will rip out what looks bad and add some stuff for fall interest.

Sue Funny you mention my green E.E. I measured one of the leaves yesterday....would you believe one is over 3 feet long?!? I think Im going to use the leaves to make a "leaf fountain". Problem is I dont know where Im going to put the fountain once I make it (our only outside outlets are at the front porch or in the garage). I dont think DH would be thrilled to have extension cords running across the porch or across the walkways...oh well, Ill figure something out. BTW, I know someone was asking for the recipe for the cement mix. I thought I posted it here before, but if whoever wanted it doesnt have it, just let me know and I can post it again.

Hi V! Welcome Home! Hope you had a nice, relaxing vacation.

Marian I was so bummed to see the pots that had been knocked over and plants strewn about it must be so frustrating...glad you were able to salvage most. Those darn raccoons they really are pests! Your pictures are just beautiful; the color vibrant and the images so sharp....you must be tickled with the new camera. I love, love, love that deck picture....like your own mini escape to a tropical island....just beautiful and so lush looking! BTW Marian...loved your anniversary card for Michelle! What dramatic coloring with the plum foliage against the black butterfly (how nice of him to cooperate...LOL!). I was thinking how much Da would love that pic too! :-)

Wow Taryn...does it seem real yet...how many days now before you are in your *new* *house*...how exciting! I know you must be pooped, but at least its a happy pooped, right? :-) BTW, I sent you a little email yesterday, though Im sure with all the busyness at your house right now you probably havent had a chance to look at email. Anyway, nothing important, just a little thank you!

Mary...hope you and your mum are having a wonderful visit. How nice that she is able to come in to see you.

Well, I need to get ready to take mom to the doc for a follow up, but she is doing wonderfully...so much better than I imagined and I am just so happy for her. You know, she has already commented that she feels more "alert" with the pacemaker! Could be her imagination, but I dont care, Im just thrilled to see her feeling so good. Another exciting bit of news, while at the hospital, I talked mom into getting one of those medic alert necklaces (where she pushes the button in an emergency and then they can call me or if they cant reach me they call 911). It will bring us all peace of mind and mom is very agreeable about wearing it. The service comes next week to install the equipment.

Anyway, need to go now, just wanted to say "Hi" and "Hi to all I missed". Hope you have a lovely day.

Heres a few cool thoughts for all enjoying it right now and hopefully will bring some cool to all those who need it...

John Denver - Cool an' green an' shady

Saturday's, holidays, easy afternoon
    Lazy days, summer days, nothing much to do
    Rainy days are better days, for hanging out inside
    Rainy days and city ways make me want to hide
    Someplace cool and green and shady.
    Find yourself a piece of grassy ground
    Lay down, close your eyes
    Find yourself and maybe lose yourself
    While your free spirit flies
    (musical interlude)
    August skies, lullabys, promises to keep
    Dandelions and twisting vines, Clover at your feet
    Memories of Aspen leaves, trembling on the wind
    Honeybees and fantasies
    Where to start again
    Someplace cool and green and shady
    Cool and green and shady
    Cool and green and shady
    Cool and green and shady
    Cool and green and shady

Paul Davis - Cool night
    I sometimes wonder why
    All the flowers have to die
    I dream about you
    And now -- Summer's come and gone
    And the nights they seem so long
    Come on over tonight
    Come on over

It's gonna be a cool night
    Just let me hold you by the firelight
    If it don't feel right you can go

Oh-- when the cool night brings back memories
    Of a good life when this love was not so old
    Oh-- I won't talk about the past
    How love's supposed to last forever
    And you -- Don't have to take a stand
    Lay out any plans
    Come on over tonight
    Come on over
    It's gonna be a cool night
    Just let me hold you by the firelight
    If it don't feel right you can go

Seals & Croft - Summer breeze
    See the curtains hanging in the window
    In the evening on a Friday night
    A little light a-shining through the window
    Lets me know everythings alright

Summer breeze makes me feel fine
    Blowing through the jasmine in my mind
    See the paper lying on the sidewalk
    A little music from the house next door
    So I walk on up to the door step
    Through the screen and across the floor

Sweet days of summer, the jasmine's in bloom
    July is dressed up and playing her tune
    When I come home from a hard days work
    And you're waiting there, not a care in the world
    See the smile a-waiting in the kitchen
    Food cooking and the plates for two
    Feel the arms that reach out to hold me
    In the evening when the day is through

Frank Sinatra - Summer wind
    The summer wind, came blowin' in - from across the sea
    It lingered there, so warm and fair - to walk with me
    All summer long, we sang a song - and strolled on golden sand
    Two sweethearts, and the summer wind
    Like painted kites, those days and nights - went flyin' by
    The world was new, beneath a blue - umbrella sky
    Then softer than, a piper man - one day it called to you
    And I lost you, to the summer wind
    The autumn wind, and the winter wind - have come and gone
    And still the days, those lonely days - go on and on
    And guess who sighs his lullabies - through nights that never end
    My fickle friend, the summer wind

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

Well finally some relief from this horribly hot weather. We woke up this AM to temps in the high 60s instead of mid 80s. In fact, today is supposed to top out in the mid 80s instead of starting there. What a relief. Remind me of this the next time I complain of being cold. There have been horrible thunder storms around here lately. In the last two days some areas have been hit hard with many large trees and power lines down. We havent had so much as a pick of rain here though until this AM and it is just sprinkling. I dont ever remember a summer where there have been so many severe storms in New England.

Doug is now off the crutches but has to wear that removable cast he had on last winter when he was trying to get that sore on his toe healed up. He can drive again, WOOHOO, and get around so things are improving. He has to take it easy for another couple weeks though. There will be no long distance bicycling for us anytime soon. Id hoped to be able to do a 50 miler down on the Cape in September but it doesnt look like well be in shape for that. I havent been on my bicycle since I did that 40 mile ride a few weeks ago. I had to get ready for that trip and then it was too hot when I got home to do any cycling. Oh well, it will get cold soon enough.

OK plant question for all you plant gurus here. Have you ever had any kind of black spot kind of thing on your cimicifugas? I have one clump that emerges fine but as the season emerges the foliage blackens and dies off. Im thinking Im going to have to dig the clump out and forget trying to grow them in that location. I wonder if I dig all the soil out and replace it if I could replant them there. Ive never had a problem like that before so Im really disappointed to have a problem with what is normally an easy plant for me.

I also had a strange thing going on with a couple of my daylilies in the driveway garden. They threw up tons of scapes then the buds just dried up and fell off for some reason. I cant figure that one out either. None of the plants in the back had the problem just the driveway.

Marian, that is a lovely photograph of that swallowtail butterfly! I have that coleus that is in the foreground of that pic too and it has done really well for me this year. ~~ I was horrified when I opened the thread this AM and saw that photo of what the da - - ed raccoons did to your plants on your deck. That is simply awful! Im so sorry you have such a horrible problem with all those critters.

Michelle, I hear you about the caladium from Sams Club. Only a few of mine have reached any significant size and they have been a total disappointment. Most of the ones you see in my containers including the ones in that arrangement with the Billy Greene are from Loews. Next year Ill plan on buying what I need at the nurseries in the spring. Ive got enough to do with all the coleus and fuchsia etc. that I dont need to be spending time starting things that just dont do well.

Bug, 40 pounds!? Yea, right! LOL I wish. Ive got a wedding to go to the end of this month and Id dearly love to drop five pounds or so before then but that seems to be as much of an insurmountable goal as your 40 to me right now. ~~ LOL 'in stride'. You bet, Doug has been really good about following the Dr's orders this time around.

Taryn, Glad to hear all is well.

Martie, such a treat to have one of your morning posts to enjoy. So happy to hear you are enjoying the job. ~~ I ran into our contractor who did the addition for us in 2000 and he said business for him has been really bad this year too. He is just doing kitchens and bathrooms but no large additions, so major renovations are on hold here as well. I think people are just nervous to spend large dollar amounts on anything right now. ~~ Great to hear your coleus and fuchsia are doing well. Are you going to try to winter them over this year?

So here is another container that Im pretty happy with right now. The abutilons in this pot are covered with flowers at the moment and I seriously love these plants, so pretty. It is looking like my Plectranthus Vanilla Twist is going to make it. There was a time this spring where it looked like Id lose it and that would have been a huge disappointment after keeping it going all winter. I do have to say that the P. Lemon Twist is much more vigorous than the Vanilla Twist. I have to keep pinching out the Lemon Twist to keep it in bounds and Ive got it in quite a few areas this year. Its a great plant.
    {{gwi:153564}}

OK have a great day everyone! Ive got to get my sorry self to the gym. (I havent been since before I left for CA so its probably going to be ugly. LOL)
    Deanne

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

OOPS! Meant to wish Michelle & Rick a Happy Anniversary!

And also wanted to say "Hi Marty!" It was great hearing from you. So glad you are enjoying your work and your garden. :-) Yes, young love is so fun to watch; isn't it? :-) Glad to hear all are happy and having a wonderful summer...

TTYL! Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

As others have said, the hot nasty weather is on the outs. It's still humid here but only supposed to get to 85 F today instead of the 99 F and 100 F we had the last two days.

Happy Anniversary Michelle and Rick! I knew that was something else we had close in common, ours is tomorrow-17 wonderful years...lol.

Marian, those racoons are real stinkers, aren't they? We have them around here but you rarely see them-same with skunks thank goodness. Were you able to salvage everything?

Ei, glad to hear you mom is on the mend. I beginning to worry about mine-she's only 72 but has been falling apart for years. Lately I seem to be hearing about more and more people who have parents living with them-usually their mothers. Men don't seem to outlive their bodies as much. I think you should do a whole message thread on how to make the cement leaves-complete with photo illustrations...lol, like you don't have enough to do. The ones you made are some of the best I've seen.

Is anyone else having a hard time getting their Brugs to flower this year? Even the Charles Grimaldi that I wintered over and is huge has yet to send out one measly flower. Deanne, that one you gave me from a Mary cutting has just opened it's first flower. I could have sworn that they were all flowering at this time last year.

Deanne, the containers look great. I tried to take some pictures of mine the other night and the pictures came out crappy. I'm still mot pinching things enough, I guess because some of the plants are getting really overgrown. There seems to be a fine line between lush and ratty...lol.

OK, I have statements to work on here. My boss has been taking Fridays off for the summer so it's the one day a week I can be assured of peace and quiet.

Stay cool wherever you are.

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Whoops, I forgot to wish Michelle and Rick a Happy Anniversary!!! Hope you had a great day.

So Sue, my 'Charles Grimaldi' has been blooming for a few weeks now but that and the white one you gave me last fall are the only ones. My peach one and the varietaged one from Mary haven't yet bloomed. I'm suspicious that it has to do with the very cold wet spring. They've all set buds since the weather turned hot.

Most of my dahlias now have the worst case of powdery mildew I've ever seen on them. I planted them with lots of air space around them and did all the recommended things but they still have succumbed. A few in the containers I've cut right back to the soil level and will probably dig them out and replace with something for fall. What a pain. I'm rethinking my love affair with dahlias. This summer many things including the phlox have the absolute worst case of mildew I"ve eve seen. Must be the heat? I'm thinking now that if it gets mildew it is going to be outta here! LOL time to shovel prune a few things.

OK I'd wanted to get this up sooner so you could see it next to the first one to compare but Oh well, I was distracted by watering some containers. Here is the back side of that orange container showing the 'Sedona' which you can't see in the first photograph.

{{gwi:169679}}

Now I'm really off to the gym,
    Deanne

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Good morning! Can you see my smile? I have my new car! It's wonderful!!! You should have heard me last night when I had the radio on and found out that it tells me what's playing - artist and song title! How cool is that? Okay, I'm easily amused... But it drives so nice and is soooo quiet and easy to handle - no more UAV for me! The car is a chocolate brown Mercury Mariner hybrid, which is a small SUV. I haven't given it a nickname yet. So we are officially a two-hybrid family.

Enough gloating. Like Ei said, the weather is easing here a bit and becoming more like a normal August. We had a fair amount of rain yesterday which was great for the gardens. I will be up to my eyeballs in tomatoes in a few weeks; I can't believe how huge those plants have gotten and how covered in tomatoes they are. I think I will have to plan to cook and freeze some spaghetti sauce next month.

I think my DD and her future roommate should get along well with each other. They have made plans to meet this Sunday - now stop and think for a moment of all the possible places two eighteen year old girls could go to meet. These two decided on an outdoor concert by Yo-Yo Ma and the Chicago Symphony. Gosh, I just wish I could go along!

Deanne, it sounds like your cimi may be plagued by a fungus. If you dig it up, I think you should then try and treat the soil all around the area with a fungicide and wait until spring to replant. I had a nasty fungus a few years ago that killed an Echinacea pallida, and I dug it as thoroughly as I could, drenched the area with Safer fungicide and then let it sit until the next spring. I haven't had a problem since then, happily.

So nice to see recent posts from Martie and Chelone! Martie, it sounds like you really enjoy your job. Chelone, one of these days you need to join us for an idyllunion. You've got a handful for right now, and I hope you do remember to take care of yourself as well.

Honey, so sorry to hear about your friend. I know this will be a hard one for you and I will be keeping you, your friend and her family in my prayers.

Marian, you should have heard me gasp when I saw the photo of the destruction on your deck. Wildlife is a constant challenge for many of us, and it seems like as fast as you deal with one issue, ten more pop up. I had a very impolite conversation with a young buck when I got home last night; he just doesn't need to be hanging out in my yard. I did love your swallowtail photo though!

Mary, congrats on the job! Enjoy your mom's visit.

T, I have sympathy for your daughter. I went two weeks overdue with my son, and had my mother, my MIL and my best friend's mother (who lived nearby) calling daily. It got to the point that I didn't want to answer the phone, but of course then that encourages the wrong reaction. Fingers crossed for her!

Taryn, I'm thinking maybe you clogged that sewer to get those cute firemen out to your house? Just kidding, but what hunks! I hope Glenn is doing better and I'm glad that the damage was limited.

Ei, I'm glad that your mom is doing better. Sorry to hear about her continued health issues. You know, I took some pictures of your hayrack and I'm trying to figure out if I can do something like that on my deck railings next year.

I still have post-vacation piles on my desk, so I need to continue doing some clearing here. Have a great one!

V.

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Oops! Never fails that I forget something!

Happy anniversary to Michelle and Rick - it was nice to meet both of you at the Idyllunion. And happy anniversary to Sue and Tom as well.

Maybe I'll get some photos up this weekend!

V.

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, you might say fall is coming early here...I always move my plants indoors,( that I want to carry over), about the middle of Sept. After the 'coons struck again last night I have brought several in, and rearranged others to where I hope they will be safe. I still have more to work with. I don't think I have lost many plants, but many are badly damaged. The planter of dark coleus, begonias, and hypostes was hit. There are some losses there. I have cut the coleus way back and 'fixed' the soil back over the roots. It is a wooden box, and has deteriorated over the years. There is no way I can move it. I may put a fence around it. Two other pots of coleus were damaged. I have lots of cuttings in water. :-(
    I know why the 'coons are doing that. They are desperate for food, with the drought, and these nicely watered plants seem like a good source. They 'think' there are worms or grubs in there.
    About 2:30 AM Nolon was up, and came to my bedroom door announcing " I'm going to shoot a 'coon". I asked if there was any damage. He said "No".I layed there waiting to hear somthing, and thinking " That sure will tear things up out there". Well, the shot never came, and he went back to bed. About an hour later I got up and checked the deck...sure enough, they had returned. I went out and salvaged all I could, then stayed up with the deck light on , watching. I apparently didn't watch well enough, because more damage was done to some things that I had 'repaired'.

I appreciate all the kind words that have been said, both about the beauty of the deck plants, and the damage done.
    I think I am able to cope with it better than Nolon. He seems to take everything that happens personally, as though it is his fault. I don't think I have given him that idea. Anyway, it turned into a bruhaha this morning...briefly. While I was tending to my job, he went out and cut more sprouts along the fence, then came back and reported to me what 'he' had done!

Eileen, I am so happy things are looking up for you. I am espacially happy about your mom's progress. I can understand the desire to be in her own bed. How wonderful that your sister will be returning to work.

Marie, I am so glad that those storms missed your area.

Deanne, do you know the name of that coleus? I snipped a couple of pieces off of a hanging pot on the square in Harrison last fall, just before a frost. I don't normally do things like that, but it was soon going to be compost. If I'd had my camera out when I was working on the deck, I could have taken an even better pic of the same butterfly. She seemed intoxicated by the Agastache blooms, and I was moving around within about 3 feet of it.
    That urn planting is soooooo gorgeous!

Hi to all that I haven't 'spoken' to. I am reading all, and happy for the good things. :-)
    It is somewhat cooler here, and expected to continue for a couple of days. Rain in some areas nearby, but none for us.

Marian

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Happy Anniversary, Jack and Michelle!

{{gwi:169680}}

Im so glad to hear you finally got some rain. Ill bet the plants are lovin it. BTW, I meant to tell you that you can replace your dishwasher racks instead of the whole machine. We have an appliance repair place here that can order replacement parts. Perhaps you have one near you? I also imagine you can order them online. When we moved in this house, instead of scrubbing the cruddy drip pans under the burners, etc., in our cooktop, I bot all new drip pans, knobs, filter and replacement burners for less than $100. I, too, hate to spend money on appliances so this might be an alternative to a replacement.

Yesterday, I watched my GN while my DN had some tests. The wee one wore me out!

Ive spent a couple hours in the garden early am the last few days. It was quite therapeutic. Drema, youre right. Ive been very introspective these last couple months knowing my friend was likely in the last stages of her cancer. Im very glad I left msgs on her recorder when she wouldnt answer the phone. Her DH said shed listen to them over and over and smile over something I said. Id always preplan the call/message knowing she was not likely to answer and just talked about things we did together, funny moments we shared, etc. I stood up for her at her wedding and I talked about that, how great she looked and how we were so full of ourselves back then. I think it helped me, too. Her DH told me that she stopped her chemo around Memorial Day, saying that she had enough. I realized that thats when she stopped taking calls. Im sure going to miss her.

Oh, T, that is such a lovely quote. I do feel blessed to have known her. Funny thing, she would have fit right in with this group. It was so sweet of you to call yesterday. It helped me talking it out. Thank you! And I so enjoyed hearing about the wee ones.

Sue, Ive been cutting down all my floppy sun perennials, too. I agree, where does the time go? Im going to be adding more shrubs as well, especially to the back. Wed. I just happened to go by this nursery, who just happened to have a "Lady in Red" Hydrangea in the sale area and guess what? That plant just hopped in my van! I think it might look good back by the Ivory Halo red-twigged dogwoods.

Drema, I hope you check in soon and let us know how your son is doing. How scary.

Ei, Im so glad to hear your Mom came thru surgery OK. You sound quite relieved that its over and that itll help your Mom have a better quality of life.

Deanne, welcome back! And thanks for the pix! I know what you mean re the state of the borders. I still have a couple days work out there in just clean-up. Thanks, so much, for your nice comments on my weight loss. Im thrilled to be able to get into those striped shorts, but wish they were a little looser. I just have to keep at it. So sorry about the car repairs and DW woes. Hmmm, seems the appliance gremlin is at work again!

Taryn, that sectional is gorgeous! Great find. Ill bet youre getting excited about the new house.

Marian Wow! Your containers look wonderful! I can see we have been a bad influence on you, lol. They all look so lush! OMG, I just saw the critter damage. How maddening! Just as I saw your post, I had to jump up and run off a groundhog from my garden, that brazen thing. Time to spray again.

Martie, so nice to hear from you again! 1,000 miles a week? Yee-gads, girl. It must really wear you out. Just pop in anytime and let us know how you are.

Mary, enjoy your visit with your Mum. I know how you and the kids look forward to it every year.

Marie, poor Charlotte in this heat. Welcome back, V! Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Im off to pack and get misc. chores done. Were leaving early in the am. Im taking DH over to Lake Michigan for the weekend as an early Bday present. Ill wave to Ei and V! TTYL, friends.

Honey

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

I was going to tease you Honey about putting Michelle with a new husband so soon after her anniversary with Rick but...oops I guess I just did!
    We got back lastnight and I did a turbo skim but caught that your best friend died...in my mind it's a even more tough for you because you couldn't deal with the realities that were happening to her. I know she wanted to protect you but sometimes the closure is helped along when we can be real. That makes me saddest of all for you and her too. I hope you are doing OK...big hugs to you.

Marian-those raccoons are little dickens! What a headache to deal with though you are probably right about them looking for good eating. YOu've got a wonderful selection of beautiful plants on your deck-thanks for sharing the pics!

How appropriate that I was in Hocking Hills during our country bumpkin thread...I was a country bumpkin for FOUR days and am alive to tell about it; ) I WANT TO LIVE THERE-no kidding. They drive a little batty there though. 55MPH on winding insanely hilly roads and there's no way you can drive that fast and stay on them roads; ) It was so quiet and beautiful there and I can't explain it to do it justice...I am kicking myself because I should have gotten a pic of the cows at pasture for this thread! And get this--I was there all that time spending lots of time outside, sprayed not even a drop of bug repellant and not one mosquito bit me....I get home yesterday and within fifteen minutes I had two mosquito bites.Odd but true: )

Eileen-the story of your mom's ribs then heart surgery is so scary to hear! BUT hey if she's responded so well to the pacemeaker then what a relief. How very interesting that had she not fallen and broken her ribs what would have happened with her heart? It's just so ironic. Sending my best thoughts to her and ALL of you!Your family has certainly had it's share of health scares. That sounds so great that your sis is able to get back to work-tons of posititve thoughts for her.

V well my car tells me what I had for breakfast and whether my outfit is properly matched with my purse and shoes...lol.

Drema-Oh that is terrible about MIke and his accident-that infuriates me that the other person didn't stop! How is Mike now? I hope he didn't have after effects from the collision.

I have tons more to yap on about but I need to get this place back into prevacation orderliness...oh but it wasn't anyway...: )

~Babs

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good Day Sunshine!!!! It's almost not as humid and almost cooler according to the thermometer. Can heat trapped in soil come up and make things seem warmer than it really is? Therm says 85degF but it still feels pretty warm to me.

Total eye candy this morning when the two edging guys showed up. They'd give Taryn's firemen a run for their money! They did everything perfectly in just under two hours. It would've taken me days. The estimate even included hauling the weedy edge soil away!! How Cool!!

Happy Anniversary to the two couples :-) (How's that for making sure I get the names right? LOL) Rich and I celebrated two years last month. How? Since we're "older but in a young marraige" it should've been really romantic, right? Well, if you call spreading 700 pounds of rock dust romantic, then it was. We did call out for pizza ....

Life with Nolan has gotta be interesting, Marian. At least he has somewhat good intentions, though shooting critters at 2am may not be the best way to show it. Your plantings are wonderful and the 'coon damage horrible. Is there a way to put a wire fence around the outside of your deck rails to keep them out?

'bug - Of course, had to print out the pic of Charlotte for my brother. He is not doing well at all and had trouble remembering, but it came back and the "recognition look" on his face was priceless. "That dog has the right idea."

Deanne: I bow to your containers ... the combos are amazing. Must ask -- what do you use for fertilizer? Do you plan the containers around what needs what? My few lavish containers are doing quite well but nothing like yours.

Taryn: Pack, pack, pack. Purge, purge, purge. Isn't it great to have an excuse to toss stuff? The boys must be SO excited. Must tell you that it may be a mixed blessing that Glenn can't help, much. I was doing just fine with our latest move until Rich decided to help. I still can't find my really good garden spade :-)

To all from IU3 -- In a tense moment (no one ever has those in 105degF heat, right?) came to the office and just looked at the pictures. Ahhhhhhhhh. Has everyone noticed that in every shot, even the bum ones, everyone is smiling???

I think it's great that we can share triumph and tragedy and be so happy wether on-line or in-person.

V: I'll join you at the concert. One of the Japan student son bonuses is that his foster mom raises Tree Peony. His "brother" handpaints the parasols that cover them. Ky is a bit concerned that all that great vibe will knock him over and that he may even become (horrors!!!!) a gardener.

To everyone I haven't mentioned, it's not because I haven't absorbed everything!! It feels GREAT to be here on a daily basis and am hopeful it can keep up.

Best -- and keep that ice cream scooper handy!!

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Coffee is being served on the screen porch this morning. It was in the upper 60s F when I got up at around 7. Looks like a good day to get some garden work done. Believe it or not I still have some coleus and a few other assorted annuals that need to be planted. Problem is...no pots. Maybe NAMCO will finally have that 30 incher on sale I've been watching. My Red Abyssinian banana needs more space.

Nothing to report from here really. I'm guessing from the lack of activity that everyone else feels the same. Tonight we have dinner reservations at a place called the Grist Mill. It's a riverfront joint. I've only been once before and not recently so hopefully it will be good. Link to the website is below. Tomorrow my boss is having his annual party so that will eat up most of the day. I'm making a fresh blueberry pie to bring. Unfortunately my dog sitting neighbor moved and the pet sitter I usually use is away on vacation so we may have to cut the party time short.

Anyhoo, that's all from here for now.

Ta-ta!

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

Happy Anniversary Sue and Tom!!!! Hope you have a wonderful day.

What a beautiful day!!! 73 degrees out and Im about to take my coffee outside and enjoy the morning a bit before I have to go and get ready for Dougs company party. They are having some kind of BBQ at a family type amusement/water park. Arrgghh!!! That is absolutely the last thing on the planet Id like to do today. (Im one of those strange people who loathe amusement parks. You could not pay me enough money to go to Disney.) Anyway, Im going to lose this primo garden day after being gone last week and having to deal with the hot weather the beginning of this week. Sigh

Anyway, thank heavens for the container gardens. They are the glue that are holding things together here this year. They are truly filling in and looking fabu at the moment. My Mountain Ash in the back yard is dying off again this year. It looks like garbage and I told Doug we are going to prune it with a chain saw next weekend. Time to get the messy thing out of here.

Martie, what a treat, another post from you! How excellent you had someone do all that edging for you!!! Im jealous. Maybe I need to ask for a garden helper for a couple days for my birthday present. RE the fertilizer for the containers. Ive used several different products over the years. I used to use the Miracle Grow liquid fertilizer and last year I used the AlgoFlash liquid fertilizer. This year Im trying out the Osmocote slow release in the containers. The growth is more restrained but Im satisfied and it cuts down on the time it takes to do a liquid feed once a week. RE planning, I try to keep plants with like watering and light needs together but dont always keep to that. Ive found that if you place a plant that needs less light in the back of a container that is in full sun it can do well. Ive also pushed the light limits of things like fuchsia and coleus and found that we can grow some traditional shade plants in more light that youd think. That Fuchsia Billy Green is in full sun and doing quite well. The only times it is a problem is when the temps go over 95 degrees or so then I have to mist them a couple times in the day or move them.

Hi Honey, isnt it always the way that no matter how much weight weve lost wed like to lose a few more???? LOL I think you look just perfect right now but I do understand the wanting to get into one size smaller. I suffer from the same want. One of my many problems in being satisfied with where I am, is every time I see Sue I feel like an elephant. Id just love to be that lean and fit. She is my idol as far as body types go.

Marian, so sorry you are continuing to have problems with the raccoons. Have you considered getting some inexpensive feed and putting it on the perimeter of your property to keep the animals away from the house? I dont know if that would work or just attract more critters from miles around. ~~ Your coleus looks very much like my Trailing Plum Brocade. Im really enjoying the trailers Ive added to the coleus collection this year.

V. thanks very much for your input re the fungus. I suspect you are 100% right and Im going to have to do that. Im thinking I wont replant cimis in that location either. Seems there is always something that creates problems.

Eileen, Im so happy to hear that your Mom is doing so much better. Im sure she is feeling a lot more alert since the pacemaker was put in. We need lots of oxygen in our brains to function well and if a persons heart isnt working properly that would affect our brain function. ~~ I totally agree with Sue that it would be great if youd do a thread on making your cement leaves. Yours are awesome and Id like to give that a whirl one of these days.

OK so here are a few piccies from this morning. Even though things are starting to wind down there is still plenty of color out there,

Fiesta
    {{gwi:169681}}

This is a sweet new fuchsia called Mrs. Lovell Swisher
    {{gwi:169682}}

{{gwi:169683}}

{{gwi:169684}}

For some reason my heucheras do 100% better in the containers than they do in the ground.
    {{gwi:169685}}

Im loving this Eupatorium Little Joe this year. Probably my favorite new perennial
    {{gwi:169686}}

{{gwi:169687}}

Enjoy the day everyone!

Deanne

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Is it only those of us in New England that are awake? LOL

Thanks for the rewelcome, so much. It's such a treat to have the time to read/post daily.

In answer to the private email re: The Stalker. He (yes, it was a he) has been essentially banished from the internet after trying to locate me and several other women from a long-ago contact. Contact would've been okay. When he was gleaning a bit too much personal info about my whereabouts and family, and sending emails that would've made Hugh Hefner blush, I felt that discretion was the thing and layed low.

I had the same question as you-all -- how do they keep someone off the internet? Well, you can't. But the second he makes any kind of contact with me (fortunately he never did find out my last name or address in town) I am to call the local PD who will notify other authorities and he will be summarily arrested for stalking. The other women have the exact same instructions.

The only good thing to come of this? All of us knew each other and had completely lost touch. It's brought back together a whole bunch of girlfriends!! Strange how these things can happen.

Anyhoo, have done all inside housework that's been screaming at me and will now commence to garden absolutely vacation-guilt free.

BTW: Good vibes this way, please. Rich has four (count'em) opportunities today with new clients!!!!!! To celebrate the phone ringing, we're having ice cream sundaes for dinner :-)

Martie

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

I've been searching my computer, trying to find the instructions that Eileen shared on how she made the leaf birdbath......but I'm not finding it right off. I think she shared it and I saved it. Since I'm not finding it easily, I wonder if I just copied/pasted and printed it out instead of saving it? Grrr! I hate when I'm not organized! Either that or I'm completely wrong, she didn't share her 'how-to' with photos and I'm having another brain burp. I'll go look through my garden 'papers' as soon as I finish this and get a cup of coffee. If I find them, you'll hear me holler. ;o)

No phone call in the middle of the night yet. I'm eager for one and disappointed each morning. DD is having a horrible time with her left leg swelling, from the thigh to the tips of her toes. She is so ready to hold these babies in her arms and get some circulation back again. lol

Looks to be a sunny day here. Mid 80's predicted, I believe. Jamie is bringing Alice (his little beagle pup) to meet us today. Maybe I can get DD to assist me with some garden work while they are visiting.

Sue, I hope you & Tom enjoy a wonderful day and dinner. My available photos for a card aren't anything to brag about so I'll try to get something special captured today.

Well, coffee cup is empty....I'll go fill it and then head for the bookcase with my garden 'stuff' to see if I did print out Ei's instructions or if I'm dreaming that she shared them. If I find them, I'd be happy to scan and mail them to whomever wishes, if she didn't save the original to her computer (so she could repost here). I'm going to feel pretty silly if she never shared it........but I really think she did. :oD

Hello to all!!!

T.

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A late "Good Morning" to you all.....and it 'is' a good morning. My rearranged deck survived with only minor digging in the Brug pot. (I put large heavy rocks on the pot). Naturally all the ones that I set inside last night had to be set out again this morning. That will be a bummer, but better than the alternative.
    The temps have dropped after a wonderful rain yesterday. We got about 1 and 1/2 inch, accompanied with lots of T&L.
    Deanne, I have given some thought to the cheap critter food, but already do it to a certain extent. I don't think it has added to our 4 legged critter's visits, but it may have. My problem is that I forget to put out more each day.

Martie, I 'did' fence the one wooden planter yesterday. It is pretty pitiful looking right now, but should fill in again.

I hope Honey is having a lovely weekend at Lake Michigan. I saw that lake from a Grey Hound bus window in 1952! Guite impressive to an Idaho gal!

Babs, Hocking hills sounds like a great place...except for the driving...:-) I need to Google it to find out what you are refering to. Cow pics would be nice. I see cows every time I go somewhere. All colors. Lots and lots of cows in this area.

Ahhh, Sue, I would love to have a screened in porch. Your morning coffee out there sounds heavenly. Happy anniversary. The grist mill should be an interesting place.

Deanne, thanks for the coleus name. Your pics are lovely...as usual.

Happy Anniversary Sue and Tom >>>
    {{gwi:169688}}

I had a nice long phone call from my sister. All the sick ( BIL, DB, and nephew) are recovering and doing okay.

Marian

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Hi everyone, just on my way out the door to work on diminishing the pot ghetto. It couldn't be a more beautiful day here today. Not much to tell here, pretty much the same old stuff going on. I've had Bella the last few days so haven't really been keeping up on the Idylls, just skimming, but see Martie has been posting more regularly (yea!), no babies yet for grandma T, and thankfully Taryn wasn't flooded out or blown away. Charlotte's looking good with her new 'do and Marian and Deanne's containers are both looking great! Also great to have Deanne, V and Babs home again. Ei, how great that your mom came through so well too. If you're all discussing fountains made from leaf castings here's a picture of one that I think is really beautiful and would like to attempt one day...

TTYL, Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Let's finish this one up-it's getting stale. Thank you all for the anniversary wishes and accompanying photos. So, Deanne, are you enjoying your day at...let me guess...Canobie Lake Park? lol I hate amusement parks too but have been once to Disney-once was enough.

I'm in for a break. It may be cooler today than other days this week but it's still too hot to work in the sun and that's where I need to work. It seems like everything needs to be either deadheaded or cut back. I fed most of the pots between this morning and early afternoon. The sprinkler is on it's second quadrant of the day. This morning I went out to NAMCO and they no longer have that container I had my eye on. Poo. But on the upside, the local nursery has a sale on everything and I came home with a Hydrangea serrata for 40% off and a couple of annuals at half price.

One of the main branches on my Cercis Forest Pansy split down the middle so I've been trying to prune it and maintain somewhat of a pleasing form. Supposedly it's a short lived tree and I'm begiining to think that may be true. Too bad-there are't many purple leafed trees out there.

Marian, the screen porch was one of the features that sold us on this house. It's not big-longer than wide, but perfect for a couple of people to sit and read. The downside in the hot summer is it faces east and oftentimes gets too hot in the morning.

OK, let's see what kind of trouble I can get into for the next few hours.

Sue

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Good afternoon! The new fridge is in the process of being installed as I type. I forgot what a pain it is to replace a fridge - empty all the existing food into coolers, clean the floor where the old one was (YUK!) and then reload it once it's ready. Plus DS had to do a little carpentry work on the cabinets to get the new (slightly taller) fridge to fit. The two lads doing the install job are younger than my son but they know what they're doing. Funny thing is, here's this top of the line Maytag sitting in my kitchen and no one has asked me to pay one dime yet. I guess they know where I live, huh?

Once the firdge adventure is over, I need to do some trimming on my containers and pot up my IU3 purchases. I have a feeling I'm going to run out of day today! I was going to do laundry last night but instead met some friends for a couple of drinks and a party planning seesion. Guilt is starting to set in. I need to do serious grocery shopping also, but I've been puposely delaying that until the new fridge is in.

Okay, I'm going to run and do some work. Time for a new idyll, too!

V.