Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmcilhargie

In My Garden Today

Lara Noles
17 years ago

Since I've already posted quite a few pictures on the Idyll thread today thought it would be best to post these separately. I've got to show you all these pictures while I have some free time. Don't know when I'll next have a chance. Hope you're not all going into picture overload from me.

Veronicastrum virginicum

{{gwi:169697}}

Phlox paniculata Blue Paradise

{{gwi:169698}}

{{gwi:169699}}

Cimicifuga White Pearl

{{gwi:169700}}

Asclepias incarnada Cinderella

{{gwi:169701}}

Dutchman's Pipe growing up the arch. I love how the leaves are shaped like perfect hearts. Pay no mind to the fountain area behind which is one of many areas under renovation.

{{gwi:169702}}

Monarda mahogany

{{gwi:169703}}

{{gwi:169705}}

{{gwi:169707}}

{{gwi:169709}}

{{gwi:169710}}

{{gwi:169711}}

Eden

Comments (13)

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Never, ever too many photos from you! Thanks for sharing. Having just done my first-ever photo thread, I know these are a fair amount of work to put together.

What's the cute little flower in the photo with the hosta blooms? I love that!

V.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Aha! That's Astrantia! And the asclepias is what grows as a native at your place!
    Eden, what a lovely presentation. My White Pearl has become GIGANTIC after many years. I love it though.
    Your fairy is positioned so well with the frothy blooms surrounding her.
    I too have Blue Paradise Phlox...which is blue. Is the photo making it look fuchsia or does it change colour?
    Anyway, you have so many wonderful vignettes there. Sit back with a glass and enjoy it all!

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Oh Eden! Bravo, bravo!!! Love all the photos of your garden. What a treat. I'm in love with each and every image you posted! Thanks so much. That kitty in the painted ferns is too cute for words and that fairy peeking out of the filipendula is wonderful.

Deanne

• just_t
    17 years ago

Eden, never too many photos showing your beautiful gardens! I love the touches of whimsy you have added. Your plants all look so vigorous and lush.

Thanks for sharing all the photos...
    T.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Renovation, what needs renovation? My word.... it's lovely -- makes me sad to see your beautiful Veronicastrum (sigh, mine seems to have died)...I love the astrantia/hosta combo too.

Thanks for taking the effort & time, Eden. You have such a magical garden. I hope to see it some day!

-Cindy

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Eden, you have such unique plants. Your garden is so charming. You have given me several new ideas. Norma

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Hi Eden!
    I miss your gardens and your pics remind me of that! I love the combos you've created. That astrantia/hosta pic is lovely(wow such a deep purple hosta bloom!).Funny,astrantia was a flower I wanted to get this year but couldn't find it for some strange reason. Now I have a combo to consider: ) I bet that would also look great with pulmonaria which was a combo I was considering. What is the second to last pic of? I like that.Thanks Eden-you always have great ideas!!! (psst--the fountain area looks fine!I didn't look)

~Babs

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Everything is beautiful Eden...I love your eye...the fairy with the filipendula, the egret in the "waterbank" of hostas and ferns. I bet when you discovered a butterfly weed with the name Cinderella...you had to get it! :-) Your gardens are always such a joy to see and really perked me up tonight. Thank you! BTW, I have to ask...it could just be my imaginings...but is there a face popping out from behind the fern in the last pic? Could be my eye is playing tricks on me, but then again, with a garden as magical as yours...one never knows! Also, is that grassy plant sea oats? I love the play of the little seed heads and also love the heart shaped dutchman's pipe too. You really do seem to discover the neatest plants....Love the color of your monarda too...well, actually I love everything! :-) Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Ei

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Eden, thanks for the lovely tour. We can never have too many pictures of your garden or any Idylls for that matter. You have such lovely combos and such interesting garden art. I have Asclepias incarnada and it gets loaded with monarch caterpillars, which is why I planted it.

M

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Thank you Eden, for the lovely views of your gardens. So much beauty...and yes, what IS that behind the ferns? :-)

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Wonderful photos Eden! I wish I had seen your gardens a couple years ago-they look very lush!

Is the Dutchman's pipe able to take full or part sun?

Monique

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Pay no attention to that fountain garden behind the Dutchman's Pipe...lol. I've got some areas like that although I don't see anything wrong with yours. Do you have problems with Dutchman's Pipe seeding around? Somebody recently told me to avoid it because it seeds everywhere.

Everything looks great! I love all your statuary vignettes. My Veronicastrum looks fabulous this year for the first time. Maybe moving the large red twig dogwood that was shading it had something to do with it.

Thanks for the tour.

Sue

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for all of the nice comments about my garden. It feels like such a work in progress this year. I wish I could twitch my nose and shuffle the plants around like Samantha on Bewitched, lol.

V, yep Marie,s right. That's Astrantia Abbey Road.

Marie, I really like the c. white pearl too. It's growing at a much better rate than any of my other cimis. I think the camera did change the color on the phlox Blue Paradise some but mine always seems more purple/blue in the mornings and changes to a more fuschia color as the day progresses for some reason. The camera didn't capture the color of the monarda very well either. It's alot more purpley than the photo shows.

Babs, I really like astrantia too. I have a couple of others, rainbow, which I got when we went to Arrowhead during IU1, and claret. I bet they would look good with pulminaria, expecially the rainbow which is has more of a pale pink/white bloom. And Ei recognized the plant in the next to last photo. It is sea oats.

Ei, that egret is actually next to my real pond, though you can't see it in the pic, as is it's partner which is buried in the hostas somewhere. I love your interpretation of the hosta and ferns as a waterbank.

Yep, that's one of my many "garden art cats" peeking out from behind the fern Marian.

Monique, the dutchman's pipe is shaded by a big maple tree but does get a couple of hours of full sun in the early afternoon and the leaves droop a little during that time but perk right back up.

Sue, I haven't had a problem with the dp reseeding so far. I started it as a tiny piece from a friends plant about 4 years ago and it took a couple of years to get going. I hope it continues to behave itself. Now that I know that I'll keep a good eye on it. I don't need anything else trying to take over my garden. That LOV invasion is still fresh in my mind.

You all are the BEST at making me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something out there. Thanks!

Eden