13 years ago

We've been counting pots, complaining about watering pots and so on... but

{{gwi:170389}}

Comments (18)

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Hmmmmm... I've got 237 of them lol,, just a couple to start
    {{gwi:170390}}

The Heuchera has overwintered outside in this pot along with the sedum for three years now. What a great plant!
    {{gwi:170391}}

{{gwi:170392}}

The Sansevieria cylindrica is blooming!
    {{gwi:170393}}

The Castor Bean pot, thought Kathy would like an update
    {{gwi:170394}}

OK I"m stopping now! LOL
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Wow -- so much to see in your pots, Deanne - their such complete gardens and works of art in themselves. I have to say, Pot #1 made me think you had created a gown -- the bust w/ the elephant ears and then you drop down to a balloning skirt and the frilly pink skirt (phygelius?) Yum!!

-cindy

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

My prettiest pot ..the wonderful tiled planter that Denise gifted me at IU7.
    {{gwi:170396}}From Garden Summer 2010

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great! As Cindy observed, each one has lots to absorb. I certainly think Angelina can be used almost anywhere! (Like the euphorbia diamond frost)

I may use a shoot of tiger eye sumac next year in a container...if I get brave. I have very few containers, but they get a bit better each year, thanks to examples from you! Photographing them well is not easy for me though. Maybe I'll try tomorrow...

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Denise! I love it! I'd only heard about it. Seeing is believing....

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Deanne, you have such a talent with containers. Great containers and great plants all combined so artfully and cared for so well. How interesting that your Sansevieria cylindrica is blooming. I've never had that. Is yours in full sun? I keep mine in partial shade. I have a container with several small 'Tiger Eyes' this year. The fuchsia that's with it is just budding up. Yours is stunning!

Kathy, what a fun and interesting pot.

Like 'bug I have a hard time photographing mine for some reason. They never look that great in the pictures.

Here are a couple. I'll have to get the camera out this week and try for a few more.

{{gwi:170398}}

{{gwi:170400}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is my simplest...and favorite pot. In fact it is my only one in a decent container.

{{gwi:170402}}

And a few others...

{{gwi:170405}}

{{gwi:170406}}

{{gwi:170408}}

You know, with cooking the challenge is to get each dish ready at the same time. With containers, there's just no knowing which plants will take off and which will dwindle...

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Kathy, I absolutely LOVE that tile pot. Denise has great taste. ARe you going to plant it or keep it a an 'object art'? either way would work really well. Where do you have it sited?

Michelle, love, love, love the chair planter with the succuletns. wonderful! and I'm so jealous of your coleus standard! Mine was destroyed in one of the wind storms we had this spring. The other that I'd had for years didn't survive the fall move in so all I have is one in process. Seeing yours I have to get a couple new ones started as I love them. Love the light in the second photo, is that 'Dipt in Wine' in that pot?

Deanne

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Hey, you were posting at the same time I was, love your sedum mono-pot! Looks great! I've got a collection of mono pots near the hot tub this year that I'm very fond of. I also really love the combo in the second photo, that phygelius and diamond frost comingle beautifully. Looks great!

Yes indeed, one never knows what plants will grow like weeds and which ones won't make it. I tend to groom the containers to keep the more agressive plants more in bounds and give the little guys more 'breathing space'. Sometimes I just hoik and replace something that isn't doing well.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deanne, the big surprise in that last container is that the phygelius was overwintered by me and survived to bloom!

• denisez10
    13 years ago

Can't believe how everyone's phygelius throw so many flowers! And Deanne, that's the first sans. cyl. I've seen in bloom -- amazing!

Wonderful pots, including that beautiful coleus standard, Michelle.

Surprised to see mixed coleus pots from 'bug! I also really like the sedum in that lovely glazed pot.

Kathy, the pot was a group gift -- I just did the shlepping. It is a heavy thing, so watch your back with it. Whatever you grow in it will have to be hardy -- you can't be lugging that pot around!

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Deanne, lets just say that was 'Dipt in Wine' The fuchsia pot tipped over and broke it off. That fuchsia just catches every breeze and tips. So one of my new pot purchases will be for that plant. Last year I had a succelent in it and it never tipped.

I'm quite pleased with my standards. I now have 3. Two of 'Witch Doctor' which is this one and one other that I'm not sure I know the name. 'Witch Dr' is a really agressive grower so works well for a quick standard.

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Michelle, is there any special trick to digging your Tiger Eye Sprouts? I tried it once and it didn't survive.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Wow Deanne, that castor bean pot is something to be reckoned with ! I'm always amazed by you ability to put coleus in the sun, they'd just burn up here, lack of humidity is the main factor I expect.

Well Denise , the schlepping of anything that heavy is worth x-tra mention right ? Bet you got better mileage on the return trip.The pot is planted with Salvia l. Santa Barbara at the moment, but it is destined to be a succulent pot.

Love all the contributions thus far !

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Norma, I try to get pieces with some roots and just keep them well watered. This first one has fuchsia 'Gartenmeister' in it that is just budding up and a lantana that I just added.

{{gwi:170410}}

The pink pillar pots which goes nicely with Kenzie's pink bike in the background.

{{gwi:170413}}

{{gwi:170414}}

{{gwi:170416}}

{{gwi:170418}}

{{gwi:170420}}

{{gwi:170422}}

{{gwi:170424}}

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Michelle that Castor Bean pot is outstanding ! I think you and Deanne might have a biggest Castor contest going here..love that Sumac combo too !

Keep em coming Idylls !

• candy_j
    13 years ago

I am totally in awe of the creative combinations, each a specimen in itself! Drooling and enjoying every pot but, no way am I posting one of my Charlie Brown containers on this thread, LOL!

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Wow Michelle, your cotainers are gorgeous! your Castor Bean is so beautiful. Mine got really tall but I'm not getting any more huge leaves. Love the combination in the third pot, is that fennell? Yummy! and the Sumac pot is terrific too. Love them all!
    Deanne