Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Redwoods and Gardens (Long)

dodgerdudette
16 years ago

These are the two cabins we stayed in on the Avenue of the Giants in Humbolt County.

{{gwi:170480}}

{{gwi:170482}}

DD enjoying a bloody mary on the stoop of the deck of our cabin

{{gwi:170485}}

The Eel River

{{gwi:170486}}

DBIL's dogs hated the water and lept on the tube with him.They were thinking it was his recliner !

{{gwi:170487}}

Here I am , floating on the Eel..

{{gwi:170488}}

An area of my back garden this morning

{{gwi:170489}}

A close up f a very cool lily, 'Shocking' --yay, I didn't loose the tag !

{{gwi:170490}}

Roses and stuff

{{gwi:170491}}

I told Deanne I would post a pic of this--the color looks more on the orange side in person, this Dahlia is called 'Moon River'

{{gwi:170492}}

Kathy in Napa

Comments (13)

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Beautiful scenery, bloody marys, peace and quiet, what more could you ask for in a vacation? Love the pictures of you all (dogs included, lol) floating down the river.

As for your garden, with all of those blooms it looks so pretty. And lilies and roses blooming together, I don't often get that combo here. Most of the roses are past their prime bloom time by now when the lilies are blooming. Love 'Shocking' too and that dahlia is VERY orange!

Thanks for sharing your vacation and your garden Kathy.

Eden

• just_t
    16 years ago

It looks like a peaceful setting and I can just imagine what fun it must be to get together once a year there. The river, an added bonus.

Your roses and garden photos are especially lovely.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

What a great tradition! And looks like a wonderful place for relaxation and renewal.

That oriental lily is striking! I hear you on the tags for lilies :)

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi Kathy

A part of the country I've longed to visit. How wonderful to have such a special tradition. Now, if I were there I might try my hand at a bloody mary while floating in the inner tube, but perhaps without the dogs on board LOL!

Your gardens are gorgeous - an exhuberant mass of color that I just love. For me there is no color too bright - Shocking and Moon River fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks for sharing

Mary

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Fabulous photographs Kathy! Love that section of the world. I'll be near there the end of the month when I have to come out to teach in Willits. Don't you think it interesting that you can never seem to really capture the size of those trees in a picture? Looks like you had a great time.

Thanks for posting the pic of that dahlia for me. I really have to get that! Beautiful! That would look terrific in a pot with the canna 'Pretoria'. Your gardens and roses are all so beautiful! My rose garden is pitiful next to yours! That lily is stunning and how wonderful to see a lily without damage from the darned lily beetles. A visual treat! thanks for sharing
    Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

What great shots. I love the tubing shots. Your garden shots are beautiful... esp. that Dahlia. Wow!

I saw a nationwide weather map yesterday evening, Kathy. There were only a couple of places where the temperatures were comfortably cool... along the northern CA coast was one... so was Caribou ME. The weatherman was talking about the "heat index" and commented that with the heat index a temp. of 96 could feel like 105. The helpmeet commented that 68 in Caribou with the heat index factored in would feel like 73, lol.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

A belated thank you for sharing your vacation and garden (again) with us -- Im still inhibited by my new laptop at home and find it hard to type, and work (im a dinosaur i guess)... I wanted to thank you over the weekend -- I can't believe your roses and lilies looked so great despite your vacation! Really lovely!

--Cindy

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Great pics of a beautiful location. A place I would love to visit. And your flowers are lovely. Most of my lilies went the way of the deer's appetite.I 'am' going to have 3 Stargazer blooms, if they are not nipped off through the fence! Only one stalk came up this year. I am thinking the voles ate the second bulb...bummer.

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Looks like my kind of vacation, Kathy-peaceful and serene :)
    Your garden shots are beautiful. I especially like the 'Shocking' lily. I'm glad you didn't lose the tag, too!I've been "window-shopping" for lilies. I'll have to see if I can hunt that one up.
    Brenda

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

It looks like a relaxing vacation in a beautiful spot. It sure doesn't look like your garden resented your vacation, everything looks absolutely beautiful.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments Idyll friends--I wish that you all would have a chance to visit the redwood forest someday-as Deanne siad it's hard to imagine the size of the trees from my photos.
    FYI the Dahlia 'Moon River' came for McConnells in Washington- I beleive they mail order, and the 'Shocking' came from 'The Lily Pad' also in Washington. There is another very similar called 'Sweetheart'available from B&D lilies.
    Chelone-there are areas of the NorCal coast that are just godawful cold all the time-fog, drizzle etc. San Francisco is one of 'em !
    Glad you enjoyed the pics !

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Too belated but nonetheless -- WOW!! My kind of vacation.

Martie

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

What fun pics Kathy! I *love* the cottage, reminds me so much of the summers I spent as a child in Wisconsin. You guys look so relaxed and truly enjoying yourselves, just what a vacation should be! :-)
    P.S. The pics of your garden are astounding! What lush color and what a lovely thing to come home too! :-) The lily is gorgeous and reminds me a bit of one of the ones I have from The Lily Garden (whose tag I did lose...LOL!)
    Thanks for sharing! Ei