Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Animal Lover

Posted by gardenbug Canada zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 21:23

I thought some of you animal lovers might appreciate the story of friend Bruce's life as written up by a fraternity brother.

Dr. Bruce *******, DVM ..... died
July 3rd in his Penn Valley, CA home from lung cancer. He always was an unusually cheerful, vibrant and positive "can-do" type of fellow in all matters. Bruce
served the animals and Koi fish of thousands of Silicon Valley and California clients in his ******* Hospital. He actively volunteered at ASPCA and Animal Rescue shelters. He was a significant benefactor to Cornell's Vet School and sponsor of the Cornell Vet school intern program.

Within one week after the Indonesian Tsunami, Bruce had emptied his Vet clinic of extra medical supplies/instruments and was on a Hospital Ship to Banda Aech as a volunteer Veterinarian to help the surviving animals. On the Hospital Ship he even assisted in triage and surgery on humans. On shore he helped set up an international animal treatment organization to help the local natives recover their economic lives via their live stock.

Fortunately Bruce and his wife attended the 2002 reunion at
Cornell. He made, after his terminal condition was known, the effort to travel east twice to visit Cornell and APD brothers one last time. He also skied high in the Sierras and installed new kitchen cabinets for his wife. He had
a very positive outlook on life.

(Last November, on the first farewell trip he and Bob **** drove from Philly to Ron *****'s Maryland home for a micro reunion with B A********and M****. Bruce and Bob drove up Ron's street, parked their car, entered the house and kitchen and loudly yelled "The axe murderers have arrived." But it was the home next door to Ron's. (Ding!))

Bruce candidly blamed his cancer on his youthful decision to smoke for 25 years - which he had ended in 1987. He urged us all to get chest CT scans now - because once lung cancer symptoms appear it usually is too late for treatment. Despite aggressive treatment at Stanford University,
Bruce died 11 months after symptoms appeared.

We lost a really good human and Brother.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Animal Lover

((Bug)) Bruce sounds like a fun & wonderful man and left this world a little better than when he came into it with his generosity and dedication... I know you were very fond of him Bug, from all you've told us about him. It's so hard when people we care about leave this earth. I don't know how you come to terms with, I still haven't. I just try to remember how *lucky* I have been to have have ever had these people I love in my life. Sounds like Bruce had quite a special circle of friends and lived a life worth living. I hope someone will be able to say that about me when the time comes! Thanks for sharing this with us Bug...it's nice to be reminded of all the good in people, after seeing too much news about the worst in people! Ei

o

(((Marie))) I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful, fun, and caring person. I hope happy memories can help you cope with the loss.
Brenda

o

GB - what a special person he was and how you must be mourning his loss. Bruce was the kind of person who touches many lives, making the world a better place. It sounds as though he will be missed by many but will live on in their hearts. It is all too easy to hold on to grudges and anger - reading about Bruce reminds us that kindness, generosity and a desire to help others are what really matter in life.

Mary

o

Marie, I'm so sorry for your loss. It is great that Bruce was able to retain his positive outlook and sense of humor, even after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. He was surely a special person.

o

My sympathies on the loss of your friend, he sounds like he was a special person.

Michelle

o

My condolences to you GB. Bruce sounds like a very special person indeed.

o

Marie, I'm so sorry you've lost your friend. I've always found that animal lovers (and gardeners too) are the very best of humanity. It's people like Bruce that make a difference in the world. It's hard to understand and except when they're taken from us too soon, for me at least. I know you'll miss him.

Eden

o

oops, make that 'accept'...

Eden

o

To be there for others----sounds like Bruce had a great attitude. I'm sure he will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

My sympathies to you on the loss of your friend.
T.

o

He knew how to live his life :) Very sorry for your loss GB, but wonderful that he was part of your circle of life.

o

So sorry, Marie.

Sue

o

Im so sorry, 'bug -- he sounds like quite a guy. You will have lots of fond memories, I'm sure and hopefully they will bring comfort to you eventually.

-Cindy

o

So very sorry for the loss of your dear friend. He sounds like someone I'd loved to have known.

Deanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here