Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veronicastrum

A Sneak Preview

veronicastrum
17 years ago

Sunrise and Mystic can't wait for you to come explore the prairie:

{{gwi:170973}}

I love the texture of the grasses at this time of year.

As you walk, you might see a brilliant purple exclamation point, the blooms of purple prairie clover.

{{gwi:170974}}

Along the wetter edges, you can find swamp milkweed, a name that does not do justice to these flowers.

{{gwi:170982}}

The view back across the wetlands is full of texture - a statement that we couldn't make a few years back.

{{gwi:170985}}

The native loosestrife, Lythrum alatum, is more subtle than its thuggish brother, but it still brightens up the wet prairie.

{{gwi:170987}}

Two friends of mine are strolling through the back, looking for Deanne. They were all ready to put on a show for her.

{{gwi:170993}}

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

V.

Comments (13)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I hope you have a book of "before" shots to share with us. This is just super. I can't wait!!! I won't even polish my shoes. Bug spray though may be needed so they don't carry me off. Love the milkweed. Expecting butterflies as well!

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

V, you have captured the essence of your prairie and wetland area perfectly. I know everyone will enjoy visiting it. Norma

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Beautiful V!!! Can you hear me sniveling and whining here??? I'm more bummed out than you will ever know. I think I'm going to have to go into my corner and suck my thumb for a while.

D

• just_t
    17 years ago

V., oh how lovely your land is!! I am so sad that I will not get the opportunity to see it in person and to visit with everyone again. I would love to see 'before' photos if you ever care to share them, it sounds like you've done a lot of work to reclaim your land. It is beautiful and a bit fun to imagine wagon trains traveling through.

T.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

So eloquent -- can't wait. Thanks for being a tease -- & im bringing lots of bug spray as they love me but I do want to see this all close up!!

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

LOL I'm sorry to laugh V but when I heard we needed to bring long sleeved shirts and long pants I pictured six foot tall grass that we'd be hacking our way through...sorry but I got a good laugh out of that.; ) On a serious note what lovely land you have and it's exciting that you've made progress-confirmed by the creatures that make the prairie their home! I can't wait to see this in person!
    Deanne you don't have to sit in a corner with your thumb in your mouth....just come over for a day or two-just tell Doug to sleep alot and set up a mini fridge next to the bed: )EASY! And make sure you plan it to be Fri. Sat. or Sun when I'm there: )

Hey they have bug repellant wipes. I think I will bring some since they will travel nicer than a bottle of bug spray.

~Babs

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

OMIGOSH V...what a lovely setting! You must feel like you're in another world when you come home! Thank you for the sneak peek..*I* can't wait to see it all in person either! Thanks for sharing that V. You and Eden have really made my night! Ei

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

V, I didn't realize the extent of your property. I can't wait to see it. Our pasture is considered to have enough native grasses to be considered prairie. We no longer put cows in it for that reason. So it all looks somewhat familiar to me. Thanks for the sneak peak.

M

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

V, your prairie is magnificent! It's filled with so many treasures to explore. Hope I'm able to get there to see it in person and meet Mystic and Sunrise too!

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Beautiful! Can't wait to see it all in person. Don't worry, I'll bring the proper attire including footwear.

Sue

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Well, I won't get to see it in person, but I love the pics. :-)
    It took a little looking to spot your "two friends". :-)

I spent a lot of my chidhood years in a prairie setting like yours.

Marian

• Jerri_OKC
    17 years ago

Oh, darn it. I want to come to IU3!!!!!!!!
    This is lovely. :)

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Wonderful! Can't wait to see it in person! I've already set aside the jeans, my gardening waterproof muck shoes and LS shirt.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21