Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

walating at the potting shed (very photo-heavy)

We had nothing in particular planned for this afternoon so drove down to Niagara to check out The Potting Shed. A few years ago they used to have a booth at the farmer's market at a nearby mall. We always intended to check out their nursery but didn't get around to it before today. They specialize in daylilies and hostas. Since daylilies are in bloom now, we thought today might be a good day to visit - and it was! (aside from the fact that it started raining....)

{{gwi:171001}}
{{gwi:171003}}
As you can guess from the first picture, there a a bit of whimsy in the nursery :-)

But there was a LOT of day lilies:

{{gwi:171007}}
{{gwi:171009}}
{{gwi:171012}}
{{gwi:171014}}

The one that really caught my eye was one called Glowing in the Dark. They dug it directly from the ground - and brought me a flower of it to be sure they were digging the right one:

{{gwi:171016}}

There were a lot of hostas too - but far fewer than daylilies. See the dark purple flowers in this picture? I bought one of those. I need to check the tag to be sure - I think it's called Rosedale Bernie - or maybe Bernine. I did an internet search and can't find it so I think it's a new introduction. The flower color was very striking.

{{gwi:171022}}

I also picked up the more commonly found Blue Mouse Ears (which I haven't seen locally) and a Blue Cadet. I was awfully tempted by Country Mouse - it is SO cute!

{{gwi:171026}}
A tray of them with Randy's foot for scale:

{{gwi:171028}}

There were a lot of lilies too - here are a few that caught Randy's eye:

{{gwi:171031}}
{{gwi:171032}}
{{gwi:171033}}
{{gwi:171034}}
{{gwi:171035}}
{{gwi:171036}}

There were other plants too. I bought this bleeding heart called 'Burning Heart' - this is not a good picture; the flowers are a very intense red:

{{gwi:171037}}

I was tempted by this coneflower 'Coconut Lime':

{{gwi:171047}}
They had a lot of the new coneflowers and I asked about the reports of the unreliable hardiness of the new ones. The guy we were talking to said to look at the flower petals - the narrower the petals, the less hardy they are because one of the species they are hybridized from has narrow petals and is less hardy.

They had a small collection of water plants. We liked this waterlily:

{{gwi:171048}}

And someone was obviously playing around with grafting!

{{gwi:171049}}

It was a fun visit and we'll definitely go back again sometime. I did wonder if Saucy has been there...

{{gwi:171053}}

Here is a link that might be useful: The Potting Shed

Comments (9)

• triple_creek
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Glowing in the Dark will fit right in at your house Woody.
    I like Country Mouse too.
    The third Lily is my favorite.
    Fun little outing.
    We went to Niagra once while visiting our daughter when she lived in PA.

Norma

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

You don't seem to run out of destinations you two!!! Seems they had plenty to offer, even a clematis! ;)
    The dark red lily looks really nice...even against your rain jacket!
    Where is your little mouse going to be planted?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Woody, what a fun trip, I enjoyed that! I like the one of you lost in a sea of dayliies. [g] And I just started Laughing, when I realized that I've been humming 'Dancing in the Dark' since seeing your daylily. [g] That's a very pretty, saturated color! I had not seen 'Country Mouse' before, I like it. I think the tiny hostas are so cute, but I haven't seen a situation around the garden where I could appreciate their size, yet. Our Casa Blanca Lilies are about to open soon. I've had enough success against the darn Red Lily Leaf Beetle this year, to consider getting a new one. I LOVE lilies. Third and Fourth and Last are my favs. Pretty color waterlily too. .....I also loved the photos you posted of your evening with Marie and company. Looks like you had a fun time. I have never tried quinoa and it is supposed to be good for you, right? What does it taste like? ..... Thanks for the list of plants in your bed. :-) I was going to ask what the white was in your beds, but I think it might have been the White Clips. I am enjoying my Clethra 'Hummingbird' which is just a little bit taller than the 'Sixteen Candles' Even out of bloom, the foliage is attractive and it has been very easy care so far. You have 'Pink Beauty' potentilla in other beds, don't you? Nice for flow. I have 'Silver Mound' and it's not doing too well this year. Too much rain and not enough sun, maybe. Glad you two are enjoying yourselves!

:-)

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

It looks like a fun place to visit but one that has lots of temptations LOL I have 'Blue Mouse Ears' and 'Blue Cadet' in my mini hosta bed. It seems that that retirement is being enjoyed by both of you.

Michelle

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, we're finding lots of interesting destinations for day trips. When the City or Toronto workers currently on strike go back to work, we'll probably visit the gardens at Spina House - similar era to Casa Loma but more garden from the sounds of it.

gb - I didn't see any other clematis, just the one in the entrance. A pity....:-) The hostas will go under the newer white redbud - at the SE corner of the back lawn behind the log edge, against the path to the south alley. It's about the only spot I can think of where they won't be overwhelmed by other plants. That corner is largely forget-me-nots that get ripped out after blooming so the area is fairly bare. I'm going to put the red bleeding heart in the midst of some white corydalis. I think that will make it really stand out!

PM - Marie was the photographer for the pictures of Phoebe and dinner but was using our camera which is why I had the pictures to post :-) Quinoa is interesting - the only significant edible grain from the New World. (I think it's technically not a grain because it doesn't come from a grass...) It is also high in protein and the only grain that its a complete protein on its own. In its natural state the outer coating is poisonous because it contains oxalic acid so the natural stuff needs thorough washing and soaking to get rid of it. Most quinoa sold in North America has been washed and cleaned already. (I had to look all that info up when we cooked it the first time because I didn't know much about it...) The taste is light - maybe because I've, so far, only cooked it with lemom in it so that makes it light-tasting. It's a rice substitute in meals so try it with any meal where you'd use rice. There's a red variety too that we haven't tried yet. Yes, the white is 'White Clips' and yes, I have lots of Pink Beauty in the driveway border - it's one of my favorite shrubs.

Michelle - it was a dangerous place for the wallet!

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Looks like a fun trip. I see a pink Day Lily with a red center in the foreground of the third pic that I like. I like seeing you in the pics, too. :-)
    That is a pretty bunch of Lilies that Randy picked.
    I have not tried any of the miniature hostas. Like Pm2, I don't have a place in my yard to put them.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Wow, what a fun place!!!! I love that 'Glowing in the Dark!What a great color! I really love my 'Blue Mouse Ears'and would love to eventually have a large patch of it. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I saw 'Blue Mouse Ears' for the first time 'in person' at Wendys yesterday---so cute !The daylily you selected is a pretty one Woody-

Thanks for the tour !

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Woody, looks like you had a fun day. I love all kinds of lilies, and it is hard to resist taking them home. I really like the Coconut Lime Coneflower. I can't grow anything that has Daisy like petals. Not even the original pink coneflower. But I keep trying:) One day I will find the one that likes my soil. My mom has a lot of clay, and she can grow all of them. I keep trying to make may sandy dirt more like hers, but I think it all washes away underground somewhere:)
    thanks for the pics.
    Drema